Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacking Cyberware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Neurosis
I have never done this before, but there is a first time for everything. Someone is wrong on the internet nerd rage GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I have a terrible confession to make. I was one of the writers of Shadowrun 5th Edition. Actually, that in and of itself isn't the terrible confession, but I can see why you'd think so with some of the incendiary threads floating around here. The terrible confession is...I'm not sure I like SR5 all that much. I'm not sure I'd want to play it over SR4. Which is doubly fucked because I wrote the first full length adventure for SR5, I've been thinking about/working on SR5 since like 2011, my career progress/job security depends on working on sourcebooks and supplements for SR5, I get paychecks from a company whose revenue stream comes from selling SR5, and so on. But still, nothing about being a Catalyst Freelancer requires me to blindly champion SR5 or sing its praises; I can't lie about the fact that I have serious issues about SR5. I can't get into what those issues are, because that gets way too much into "how the sausage is made" and even now that the book is out, would probably violate NDA.

But one of the most common complaints I've seen people make about SR5, one of the things that some people are up in arms about, is just so overwhelmingly stupid that I can't remain silent about it. There are plenty of at least subjectively valid reasons to dislike SR5...I doubt even any one of the people who wrote it was 100% satisfied with the game, such is the nature of collaborative process...but complaining about the fact that cyberware can be hacked is completely idiotic. And I can address that without even cracking open an SR5 rulebook and getting into the nitty gritty rules on just how goddamn difficult and expensive it is for a decker to even attempt to hack someone's wireless enable cyberware (spoiler: it's way too expensive, and really goddamn hard).

First, before I go any further, I want you all to watch this video. Then, when I'm done making all my counter-arguments to common complaints I've seen, go back and watch this video again. Don't worry, it's under a minute.

SORRY PAL

Gut-check time. Was that...

A) SUPER FREAKING AWESOMSE!
B) Awesome
C) Pretty Cool
D) Laaaaaaaaaaaaame. (If you select this option, get off the internet, you can't be reasoned with.)

You see the primary reason I am baffled by the hue and cry about hacking cyberware is that HACKING CYBERWARE IS FUCKING COOL. It lets your PCs do what Batou just did to that Umibozu commando. And that's fucking awesome. It gives "Combat Hackers" something to hack during combat! Here are the secondary reasons that complaining about cyberware being hackable is stupid. And yes, as the list goes on, liberal use is made of Straw Man arguments (deal; these straw men are based on actual things actual people have actually said).

1) This is not a new thing. Cyberware was hackable in 4th Edition.

Ok....deep breath. Yes, you could switch your cyberware to DNI only, and skinlink everything, and effectively, in Frank Trollman terminology, "set hacking to off". But in casual, non-Missions play, not everyone did this. At my table, we certainly didn't do this. At my table, PCs could hack NPCs, NPCs could hack PCs, and the world went on. Hacking someone's gear was just another avenue of attack and another avenue to defend, like guns and magic. The SR4(A) rules don't explicitly state that cyberware can or cannot be hacked; there are certainly no "wireless bonuses", but I went with the default assumption that yes, Cyberware is a Device, has a Device Rating like anything else, and I could see plenty of in-universe reasons why it should be "always on". Hell, look at the XBone, and that's just a generation away from happening for real, let alone 2075. Think about how often your phone or your XBox or your computer's software needs to install updates. Almost daily, right? Cyberware is the same way, and needs to install firmware packages to stay current and stay relevant; the easiest solution to keeping the firmware up to date would be having it "always online". The security considerations of that are secondary...because no one is supposed to have the tools/talent to be able to hack cyberware anyway!

At my table, you could totally have something like what happened in that video occur in actual play.

That was the rational in my SR4 game. And outside of SR Missions...I am pretty sure that some other people were already running SR4 games where hacking cyberware as a thing you could do!

2) "Wahhhhhhhhhhhh! Hacking cyberware is not realistic! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" SHUT UP!

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were a time traveling computer science major FROM THE FUTURE.

In that case, elves dragons wizards vampires bug spirits and shape-changing fox people would like to have A FUCKING WORD WITH YOU about "REALISM".

2) "Wahhhhhhhhh! Corporations wouldn't make and sell cyberware that could potentially be hacked! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" SHUT UP!

This is such a ridiculous and laughable argument it makes me seethe with rage. Because phone companies wouldn't make and sell smartphones that could be cracked, right? Because game companies wouldn't make and sell PS3s that could be cracked, hacked, and 'sploited, right? Because corporations are made of people that are infallible and never make mistakes, right? Because megacorporations--especially in Shadowrun--care WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more about the safety and security of their customers than the bottom line and making a quick buck? Oh, oh wait...oh yeah.

NONE OF THAT IS TRUE.

Megacorporations don't give a SHIT about the safety and security of their customers. You'll buy it because it's like the last one, only better. Then when shit does get hacks'd, they'll spin things to make them look like big damn heroes for trying to catch the hackers/closing the loophole.

And don't forget they make the 'warez and tools that are used for hacking shit...and for anti-hacking defense. So...cha-ching!

3) "Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No one would ever install cyberware that could be hacked! Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" SHUT UP!

What. The. Fuck. This. Is. Shadowrun. Have you READ Shadowrun, at all? Have you read ANY of the classic SR Novels, at all? They tell the story of street criminals who are responsible members of society that never do anything short-sighted for a quick boost in power that they might one day come to regre---oh, oh wait.

Yeah, that's right, I remember now. In the Shadowrun fiction, people install Cyberware even though it GIVES THEM FUCKING CANCER. People install wired reflexes even though it gradually breaks down over time and stops working and gives them EPILEPSY FOR LIFE! Why? Because they WANT TO BE FASTER, AND DAMN THE CONSEQUENCES. The fact that someone some day might haxor it PALES in comparison to the fact that it could riddle your body with tumors or leave you a helpless twitching mass of SEIZURES, and those things literally don't stop people from installing all the cyberware they can afford.

4) "Wahhhh! Wahhhh! I JUST DON'T LIKE cyberware being hacked! It's icky! Wahhhhh!"

SHUT UP! WATCH THE VIDEO AGAIN!

And I'm done.

*drops mike, feedback squeals, lurches drunkenly off stage and back into obscurity*
quentra
Hey buddy, I think a lot of people agree with you. Hacking cyberware is cool, is pretty fucking cyberpunk, and has a place in Shadowrun. We just have issues with the implementation, is all. Also, thanks for you honesty - it's nice to see an opposing viewpoint from someone who actually worked on the damn thing.
Mach_Ten
I like you. You're funneh wink.gif
Kruger
TL:DR

That, and you'd said some patently stupid and entirely subjective stuff before you'd even finished paragraph two. Besides, we didn't want to play Ghost in the Shell, we wanted to play Shadowrun.
Sengir
So, you made a threat to regurgitate the "batons extend faster with Facebook access, because dragons" argument once more, and to declare that Neo hacking is cool because you say so. Seriously?
Mach_Ten
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 28 2013, 06:52 PM) *
So, you made a threat to regurgitate the "batons extend faster with Facebook access, because dragons" argument once more, and to declare that Neo hacking is cool because you say so. Seriously?

But he had a cool 'tude and a video.... no one else used video yet.
quentra
QUOTE (Kruger @ Jun 28 2013, 01:52 PM) *

That, and you'd said some patently stupid and entirely subjective stuff before you'd even finished paragraph two. Besides, we didn't want to play Ghost in the Shell, we wanted to play Shadowrun.

I've run GitS-style games in Shadowrun. Players were literally agents of GOD (and had their own corporate agendas, infighting, while also combating 'terrorists', aka shadowrunners.) Saying you want to play Shadowrun instead of GitS makes no sense, because if you're playing Shadowrun, you're playing Shadowrun. Now, if there are certain elements of GitS cyberpunk you dislike and don't want in your Shadowrun, that's one thing. But the way you phrased it is pretty much nonsense. Hell, without any real fluff modifications, you can even fucking run Section 11 in the SR setting.
Sendaz
Batou DOES make everything better. nyahnyah.gif
Daedelus
QUOTE (Sengir @ Jun 28 2013, 10:52 AM) *

And they are still no less valid that your arguments. Please point out to me Specific arguments against it that are not a. Opinion based (non-concrete), or b. Speculative (trying to predict future technology).
It all comes down to a Simulationist vs. Gamist perspective difference. The answer is the same either way. Play with the rules or house rule them out. There are a lot of us here that like the rules as well, so please don't dismiss us out of hand. Our opinions are just as valid as yours.
If you got your way and they were removed then those of us who like them have lost an aspect that we FEEL was missing from the immersive nature of Shadowrun. If they remain, and you don't use them (house ruled out, or simply turn the wireless off and not take the benefit), then we all win. You don't ever have to look at them again, and we get our needs met. How is that a bad thing?
Sunshine
QUOTE (Mach_Ten @ Jun 28 2013, 07:51 PM) *
I like you. You're funneh wink.gif

I think this is funneh, too rotate.gif

This "discussion" isn't one since about 500 Posts, so this will just lead to this.
Jonny Reload
Wow this is a really awkward thread... I'm pretty sure right now Catalyst is starting to rethink their hiring practices on Freelancers. smile.gif (Unless the original thread poster is just doing an "Inception" level of trolling right now pretending to be one of the people who worked on SR5... Then I tip my hat to you for being teh funneh!)
Tashiro
QUOTE (Kruger @ Jun 28 2013, 01:52 PM) *

Actually, I want to play Ghost in the Shell with magic and elves and dragons. YMMV.
He has some very sound arguments. This is stuff that's in the world, right now, and makes sense in the near future. This suits everything that a megacorporation would do, or that runners would do. And, Batou is cool, but the Major is god. wink.gif
bannockburn
Very bad form, Devon.
nezumi
I am a computer science major from the future (just not from your future. Some other, past-guy's future.)

Hacking cyberware is perfectly reasonable. Right now people are finding that hacking pacemakers is a problem:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/singularity/20...al-devices-too/

If you have a device in you, the easiest way for it to get necessary updates, tuning, and monitoring is via a wireless connection. Security non-withstanding, a wireless pacemaker/arm/eye/whatever will likely have more and better functionality than a non-wireless one. And since most consumers want most functionality at least cost, they'll buy wireless. And by its nature, wireless will ALWAYS be less secure than wired.

The exception here is security/professional grade stuff. A cop does not need his car to have an mp3 player or tell him the temperature outside, so the police department is not likely to spring for that sort of functionality. The military certainly isn't going to install a wireless functionality on something that can be wired-only. Police departments may buy wireless-enabled consumer gear because of price constraints, but they're most likely going to turn off the wireless functionality unless there's a definite advantage worth that trade-off. Paramilitary and military units should never let price considerations get ahead of safety (not saying it doesn't happen, but it's the exception).

Shadowrunners generally fall into that paramilitary/military category, competing against paramilitary/military competition. So for 90% of what they do, wireless cyberware hacking should be impossible. For that remaining 10%, it should be so ridiculously hard as to be impractical, except for very specific gambits.

That video was cool, but so are videos of people jumping their motorcycles up a ramp so high that they turn into a spaceship and blow up a thousand nazis. That doesn't mean it's fun to play, or makes sense in a seting.

Draco18s
I had to null vote because the choices are loaded.

You also used:

Black-and-White
No True Scotsman
Strawman

Good day, sir.

In any case, you didn't address my problem with it:

Having your cyberware hacked is not fun. It is the D&D equivalent of constantly hitting the fighter with Mind Control spells after hitting the mage with Disintegrate.
Sendaz
QUOTE (Sunshine @ Jun 28 2013, 01:07 PM) *
so this will just lead to this.

Awesome video biggrin.gif

As for the hacking, a lot of people are concerned by what they see as the relative ease of being hacked, especially potentially via items that they don't see as needing to be connected. But until we can see what a decker can do both offensively hacking someone and defensively protecting the team from being hacked, it will be a sensitive area.

But the same could be said for the general paranoia one has about mages. Sure YOUR mage is a kind hearted upstanding citizen, but then you get the guys like Haze who literally F up your mind.

It's just a quirk we all have. Shoot us in the leg / toss down a fireball and its ticking some boxes off the sheet. Mess with our minds or our gear and its personal.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 28 2013, 02:29 PM) *
Having your cyberware hacked is not fun. It is the D&D equivalent of constantly hitting the fighter with Mind Control spells after hitting the mage with Disintegrate.

1) It can be fun. PCs hacking opponent's cyberware as part of a plot can be great fun. (Been done by my group), and I'm going to have one of the PCs get hacked in the near future as a set-up for something.

2) Geek the Mage is a tried-and-true in D&D. Disintegrate is a good tool for that. Then control the warrior. Why not? Seriously, if the bad guys have an ounce of common sense, this is the path to go. (The other tactic I like doing is having the bad guys be reasonable and charming, so the PCs feel disinclined to fight - the bad guy continues to do his Evil Stuff, but the PCs have trouble finding justification for killing him, because in context, his actions are 100% justified. Just ruthless).

I've actually had a succubus Charm an entire PC party except for one person -- and it all happened through conversation, so the players were cool with it (since it felt appropriate by context, instead of hammer), and the one person not charmed was left twisting in the wind trying to figure out how to get the other PCs rescued. biggrin.gif Fun times.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 28 2013, 02:43 PM) *
But the same could be said for the general paranoia one has about mages. Sure YOUR mage is a kind hearted upstanding citizen, but then you get the guys like Haze who literally F up your mind.

It's just a quirk we all have. Shoot us in the leg / toss down a fireball and its ticking some boxes off the sheet. Mess with our minds or our gear and its personal.

Excellent point. It's really strange how 'agency' works in roleplaying games. Combat doesn't seem to remove agency - unless your character is killed, but as soon as you get into control issues, things can go horribly south. And I've heard far too many people who think that actually killing PCs is Wrong Fun or some sort of horrible sin, which really confuses the hell out of me. (You're playing characters in an occupation where death is expected sooner rather than later - why are you expecting to be immune?)

But yeah. Illusions, mind control, emotion control, fear effects, and the like seem to cause a strange, knee-jerk reaction. Sure, some groups don't mind using it on NPCs, but the second it is turned on the PCs you get a minor riot on your hands. Just... strange.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jun 28 2013, 02:05 PM) *
1) It can be fun.

Can. Emphasis on can.
That doesn't mean it always is. And if it's not always fun, then it needs to be relegated to Plot Device, not Standard Practice.

For example, there was a D&D game my friend was in, and he made a character that had enough Break Object bonuses that he could Kool-ade Man through walls. The party enters some po-dunk village in the middle of nowhere.

All of the walls were reinforced with Wall of Force.

For no reason.

Just to keep the character from busting through the floors (and ceilings and floors...)

Another character in the same game focused on being able to push opponents around the field. What kinds of enemies did the GM throw at him? Immovable Monks.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 28 2013, 03:08 PM) *
Can. Emphasis on can.
That doesn't mean it always is. And if it's not always fun, then it needs to be relegated to Plot Device, not Standard Practice.

I've heard a similar argument with Vampire, re: Presence / Dominate. Some game masters completely refuse to have those powers available, because they have serious issues with mind / emotion control. And I can agree, Presence / Dominate powers can be seriously not fun if used as a hammer. That doesn't mean they should be removed from the game or relegated to plot device.

For example, there was a D&D game my friend was in, and he made a character that had enough Break Object bonuses that he could Kool-ade Man through walls. The party enters some po-dunk village in the middle of nowhere. All of the walls were reinforced with Wall of Force. For no reason. Just to keep the character from busting through the floors (and ceilings and floors...)

I would call that metagaming, and bad form. If the players have taken the means to perform 'action X', then you should fully let them use these abilities. Actually, this came up with Pathfinder last Wednesday - the GM's getting frustrated at our tactics for dealing with threats (invisibility, stealth, teleportation, use of Wall of Thorns). He's been looking at ways to nerf or mitigate our capabilities, not understanding that this is par for the course for a game at our level. :\ As a GM, I tend to applaud players breaking the adventure, because I don't have any vested interest in controlling the players - I let them act as they will, and I just handle the consequences.

Another character in the same game focused on being able to push opponents around the field. What kinds of enemies did the GM throw at him? Immovable Monks.

Yeah. Very bad GM.
cndblank
I had to null vote too.
You are missing the point.

The hacking cyberware is not the problem.
That is plenty cool, I just don't think that the military and para military would leave themselves exposed like that.
I think a decker can have plenty of fun targeting the non military hardware.
To be fair, the only players that should be allowed to vote on this are the ones that have a GM with a "What goes around - Comes around" attitude and will be trying to hack the PC's cyberware right back. wink.gif

The problem is that SR5 is forcing everything to be matrix connected and writing out the skinlink (real technology existing today) and the DNI link so that the Pros are just as exposed as everyone else is a bad idea.
And don't say you don't have to go wireless. You can just stay offline. All the technology that made that possible has been removed or ignored.

Also a good idea like bonus for being Matrix Connected is being forced to be universal when it shouldn't be.
If I have a data jack or a smartgun link induction pad in my hand so that I have a DNI link to my LMG, how come I can't deploy the bipod/tripod as a free action unless the LMG is connected to the matrix (leaving a nice set of digital fingerprints as it meshes with every device in range)? And Smartgun links are now worthless for anyone not an expert with a firearm unless they are matrix connected. Which makes the GM's job harder since the 4th Edition Smartguns gave a lot more benefit to the GM's Mooks than the PCs. Plus 2 dices for someone with Automatics 3 is a lot more useful than plus 2 dice to some one with automatics 5 and a specialization.

The poll should be about how exposed military cyberware should be or should some Matrix Bonuses be dropped or set up to also work with DNI interfaces.

Like "Who thinks that some of the matrix bonuses (like the one for Bipod/Tripod) should also apply if the user had a DNI (via skinlink, fibercoptic cable, or smartgun link induction pads)?"

Or "Who thinks that the skinlink should be added back in to the SR5 main rule book via errata?"

I'm expecting great things from SR5 and I'm sorry you and the rest on feeling the heat like this on something that you should be proud of.
The delayed rollout of the PDF is certainly not helping and I know you guys have nothing to do with that.
Jonny Reload
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jun 28 2013, 02:17 PM) *
I've heard a similar argument with Vampire, re: Presence / Dominate. Some game masters completely refuse to have those powers available, because they have serious issues with mind / emotion control. And I can agree, Presence / Dominate powers can be seriously not fun if used as a hammer. That doesn't mean they should be removed from the game or relegated to plot device.

Players who can't surrender control of their character for the sake of the storyline shouldn't be role playing period.

GM's who don't know when to reign in their power of controlling their player's characters should not be allowed to GM.

People have to understand that any rpg is an agreement of trust and mutual cooperation between the person running the game as well as the people participating in it. Unfortunately there are some people out there who really need therapy yet they feel entitled to their own way just because they can buy some RPG material and claim to know what's best.
Mäx
Video is pretty cool(as is all of GitS) but you poll is utter crap and has nothing to do with the real issue.
Problem isn't truly cyber hacking(not for me at least) its the horrible and utter crap like the so called matrix bonuses(actual real matrix bonuses that make sense might have been cool, too bad writers where too lazy to come up with any) that was added to the game to try and make it possible.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 02:37 PM) *
Problem isn't truly cyber hacking(not for me at least) its the horrible and utter crap like the so called matrix bonuses(actual real matrix bonuses that make sense might have been cool, too bad writers where too lazy to come up with any) that was added to the game to try and make it possible.

This. Very much this.

On a conceptual level, I have no issue with cyberware hacking. I have issues with hacking in general. Because type A (breaking into a network and stealing data/taking control of a device) is too hard, but type B (spoofing a guy's arm into choking himself) is too easy and too slow.

The new rules haven't fixed that, as far as I can tell, and only made it worse.

Only now instead of type B being too easy, type B has become too hard, and now we have a new "type" that is just as easy as type B was, faster, but screws with gear. Gear that has no right being wireless (extendable batons? really?).
cndblank
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 01:37 PM) *
Video is pretty cool(as is all of GitS) but you poll is utter crap and has nothing to do with the real issue.

It is still plenty possible.
Instead of hacking the cybereyes of the Corporate Strike Team (who would know better), how about hacking the cyber eyes of the semi truck driver heading their way.
Draco18s
QUOTE (cndblank @ Jun 28 2013, 02:42 PM) *
It is still plenty possible.
Instead of hacking the cybereyes of the Corporate Strike Team (who would know better), how about hacking the cyber eyes of the semi truck driver heading their way.

Why even bother being on the scene at all? Just hack a semitruck driver's eyes and replace his entire route with one that causes him to crash into your target building of choice?
Tashiro
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 02:37 PM) *

The thing is, all the bonuses I've seen (thanks to another thread) make sense.
1) Wireless on-off switch, rather than manual action. You think, it works.
2) Recharge. The corporations supplying the power would insist on having a call-answer system for it, so they know who is using it, for what devices, where.
3) Higher processing. Rather than having the software inside the device, where it can be tampered with, the corporations would have it 'in the cloud', where they control it. This would also mean automatic updating, and being able to keep track of how often it is accessed. Also, keeping the software 'in the cloud' it makes it harder for people to steal and copy, allowing the corporations to keep control of the software. This also means having larger programs, without having to install them into the hardware.

These are the primary things I'm getting out of 'matrix bonuses', and all of this makes complete sense. The software and drivers for nearly everything would be in the matrix (nigh-infinite drive space and more memory!), leaving the hardware with the bare bones to function, plus the modem connection to the matrix to 'boot'. We have these kind of computers today, actually.

Now, would a shadowrunner like this? Possibly not. But the corporations aren't building these things for shadowrunners, and the shadowrunners aren't the primary target. Shadowrunners have to learn to adapt to the world, they aren't going to force the world to cater to them.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 28 2013, 02:43 PM) *
Why even bother being on the scene at all? Just hack a semitruck driver's eyes and replace his entire route with one that causes him to crash into your target building of choice?

I support this statement. As a GM, I'd love this tactic.
hermit
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 09:37 PM) *

This. A lot.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jun 28 2013, 02:47 PM) *
The thing is, all the bonuses I've seen (thanks to another thread) make sense.
1) Wireless on-off switch, rather than manual action. You think, it works.

Really? These make sense?

Telescoping Staff: Free Action to activate instead of Simple Action.
Laser Sight: +1 DP bonus in addition to the normal Accuracy bonus
Periscope: Reduce the DP penalty for shooting around corners to -2 (non wireless bonus: Reduce the DP penalty for shooting around corners to -2)
White Noise Generator: Triple effective radius of effect.
Hazmat Suit: Suit analyses environment around you.
Datajack: Adds Rating 1 Noise Reduction
Hydraulic Jacks: +1 DP bonus in addition to Limit bonus.
cndblank
These are good writers.
Almost everything I've seen shows that.

The issues with Matrix Bonuses and cyberware being so easy to hack is an example of good ideas that were forced.

I'm sure part of the issue was running out of time.
Part of it was too hard a push from on high to make every thing needing to be Matrix Connected so that the decker would have some thing to do and be physically with the party.
Part of it was the perfectly valid idea of reducing the number of things that add dice to the skill rolls.
Good ideas, but they went a bridge too far I think.

And On High decided to removed or ignored all the things that would let the military/security/runners stay off the matrix when stuck in deep.

Finally the partial release of SR5 didn't help.

hermit
Part of it was too hard a push from on high to make every thing needing to be Matrix Connected so that the decker would have some thing to do and be physically with the party.

But he doesn't need to be physically present to hack cyberware! Just as much as the Rigger doesn't need to be physically present if he wants to control drones!
Stahlseele
Makes one wonder why a focus does not have to be online to do it's job propperly then . .
hermit
Because then, a mage would have to be able to cast from the astral. For balance's sake, see.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 28 2013, 10:31 PM) *
Because then, a mage would have to be able to cast from the astral. For balance's sake, see.

*nods*
makes sense
Sendaz
All focuses will now be WizFi capable allowing a stronger connection to the astral and increased bonuses.

The downside, grounding is back and mages in the astral will be able to once again ground a spell via that astral channel.

Hmm..... this could be fun. biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 28 2013, 10:36 PM) *
All focuses will now be WizFi capable allowing a stronger connection to the astral and increased bonuses.

The downside, grounding is back and mages in the astral will be able to once again ground a spell via that astral channel.

Hmm..... this could be fun.

it's an idea at least O.o
Mäx
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 28 2013, 10:54 PM) *
Laser Sight: +1 DP bonus in addition to the normal Accuracy bonus

This is probably the best one of them all, total comedy gold.

I would really really love to hear the justification for this from whoever wrote the gear chapter.
Fatum
As many have stated before, I have no problems with cyberware hacking per se (and I always wanted to do it with my hacker characters). It's the implementation that is problematic. The effects are bland (you can't do what you see in the video by bricking), the justification is stretching the suspension of disbelief beyond any belief, and the effects of enabled wireless are straight up retarded. Have a fine day and enjoy GitS, but if you want GitS and not Shadowrun, play goddamn Eclipse Phase.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 03:38 PM) *
This is probably the best one of them all, total comedy gold.

I would really really love to hear the justification for this from whoever wrote the gear chapter.

Scans for lighting and particle conditions, and changes the laser intensity and focus to compensate.
Tashiro
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 28 2013, 03:50 PM) *
Have a fine day and enjoy GitS, but if you want GitS and not Shadowrun, play goddamn Eclipse Phase.

Or, if you want to play GitS levels of technology in the Shadowrun universe, play Shadowrun. It isn't a binary condition, you can't just say "one or the other". You can have both.
Cochise
Well, I guess I have to thank you Devon ... for providing me yet another good reason for withdrawing my funds from the pool that you intend to use for making your living.
Not only are you way off of what actually is criticized, but you're also presenting yourself with various "not so nice" personal traits as well as violating ToS of this forum.

/chapeau!
Fatum
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jun 29 2013, 02:00 AM) *
Or, if you want to play GitS levels of technology in the Shadowrun universe, play Shadowrun. It isn't a binary condition, you can't just say "one or the other". You can have both.
Nope. If you want super-tech GitS style, you already have EP, if you want cyberpunk, you have SR. Turning SR into EP would remove that possibility of choice, making the RPG scene poorer.
Mäx
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Jun 29 2013, 12:58 AM) *
Scans for lighting and particle conditions, and changes the laser intensity and focus to compensate.

And this has what to do with matrix,oh right nothing.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 05:29 PM) *
And this has what to do with matrix,oh right nothing.

I could see it working like a poor man's smartlink, displaying the laser in your AR at much greater visibility than you could see naturally. It's just gotta broadcast that info somewhere...
Mäx
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 29 2013, 01:33 AM) *
I could see it working like a poor man's smartlink, displaying the laser in your AR at much greater visibility than you could see naturally. It's just gotta broadcast that info somewhere...

Sorry but no,laser sight doesn't have any of the sensors required for that.
nezumi
QUOTE (Sendaz @ Jun 28 2013, 03:36 PM) *

Hmm..... this could be fun. biggrin.gif

I need to start a kickstarter for this.

Shadowrun: Telework.

Toss in the street sam using a fully cybernetic body via simlink. You have an entire team of chubby geeks running from the comfort of their home battlestations. (Well, except for the adept who actually schleps his ass out there into meatspace like some sort of 2050s-era hipster.)
Cochise
QUOTE (nezumi @ Jun 29 2013, 12:44 AM) *
Shadowrun: Telework.

Toss in the street sam using a fully cybernetic body via simlink. You have an entire team of chubby geeks running from the comfort of their home battlestations. (Well, except for the adept who actually schleps his ass out there into meatspace like some sort of 2050s-era hipster.)

... right until Mr. Greer decides that killing the surrogate technology will make the world a better place again ... *damn, somebody already had that idea*
Epicedion
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 28 2013, 05:37 PM) *
Sorry but no,laser sight doesn't have any of the sensors required for that.

Bought one and took it apart, did you?
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Neurosis @ Jun 28 2013, 12:41 PM) *
... snip the trolling Opening Post...

I'm sorry Neurosis, I completely and utterly disagree with you on this matter. Any character I have made will have the wireless in their cyber burned out. If my character needs to upgrade they use an implanted datajack to update the firmware. To run any of your cyber wireless (unless it's a cyber commlink, and even then run multiple instances of IC) is a stupid vulnerability that any person with an IQ greater than room temperature would not allow.

That clip you showed EXACTLY why you don't run your cyber wireless. It allows asshats to screw with your perception.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012