Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] Uncaring Stars
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Jack_Spade
AUGURY AND SORTILEGE
(MATERIAL LINK)
Augury is the ritual of divination. To use this ritual, the magician must assense the subject (person, place, or object) or have a viable material link (p. 297, SR5). Within the ritual circle, the initiate enters a mild trance and interprets the symbolism and metaphors presented to him through the aether. Sortilege is the use of specific reagents (casting bones, reading tea leaves, etc.) or fetishes (tarot cards) as part of the divination ritual.
In gameplay there are two parts to divination. The first part is the successful completion of the ritual. The leader may ask one question about an event in the subject’s future. The question is answered through portent
appropriate to the tradition and/or the divination technique. The second part is the leader’s interpretation of the answer. Using Arcana with a threshold based on the question asked, the leader rolls Arcana + Logic with a
limit based on the net successes of the ritual. Subsequent divinations on the same subject matter increase the threshold by 1. This ritual takes (Force) hours to complete. Requires Divination.

SG p.124
Thanee
Sounds like it might be worthwhile to check out.

Bye
Thanee
Volker
Magic Theory: 13d6t5 2
lol more than twice the DP and half the hits ^^ guess there's still nothing that beats performing the actual profession yourself
Volker
QUOTE (Crossbow @ Aug 1 2020, 04:52 PM) *
Well, feel free to pull me in then.

All rightey. The moment has passed but now that I know that you as a player are willing, I will recognize open doors.

I will ignore Nova and Muhme for the moment, as Thanee and Jack didn't raise their hands yet.
Jack_Spade
Muhme spent her time in concentration, so you would only get monosyllabic answers.
Thanee
QUOTE (Volker @ Aug 4 2020, 09:22 AM) *
I will ignore Nova and Muhme for the moment, as Thanee and Jack didn't raise their hands yet.

Sorry. Pretty busy, workwise, at the moment. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
no problem. It was just an information in case you just missed my initial post
Jack_Spade
I'm currently moving house, so there might be fewer updates then usual - normal schedule will hopefully be back on Friday.
Gilga
Hope it all goes well wink.gif
Jack_Spade
Hardest part is already done, but getting my good suits and shirts there will be somewhat of a hassle wink.gif
Volker
I hope you'll feel @home soon!

I'll be off til Sunday or so. LARPing
Gilga
QUOTE (Volker @ Aug 5 2020, 08:31 PM) *
I hope you'll feel @home soon!

I'll be off til Sunday or so. LARPing

So cool... wink.gif Jealus in ways that I cannot describe. The sacrifices one makes to have a family. Perhaps in a few years when we can leave them alone I'll have more hobbies.
Volker
The daughter of a two-year-old attended the LARP. ^^
Jack_Spade
Pretty young to have a daughter wink.gif
Volker
oh damn xD
the mother, of course
Gilga
Not in my life, we are sort of on our own childcare wise. I could send my wife, but I use all my relationship credits for conferences.
Thanee
What time do we have now?

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
By now its around 1900h
Thanee
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 18 2020, 06:55 PM) *
With two of the group in favor and the others silent, ...

I'm on vacation this week and the next, so a little slower to react. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
QUOTE (Gilga @ Aug 23 2020, 08:44 PM) *
>> bnc, there are two cults of black magic nearby, and we suspect the ritual leader to have a strong academic background as he is initiated into divination, lacks practical mastery, but has a deep understanding of arcana. The other stuff is bits and pieces that may click or not. Do you have some access to data on these cults? They are the local loonies, and we're likely looking very specific background.

What did I miss? Which two cults is Anna speaking of?
Gilga
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 2 2020, 09:55 PM) *
Häberle scratched his head: "No. Now that you mention it, I probably should have. But I think some of them are still visible. I'm going to mark the places on a map for you."

bnc's lightning fast search turned up quite a lot of junk, but with the help of a few filters, she soon had some very interesting bits of information:
There are currently two main factions of Black Magic practicioners in Southern Germany. Both are regarded as cults by the federal authorities of the ADL.

The first one calls themselves "Institute of higher arcane knowledge". They are pretty secretive and have serious financial backing. Their leader is Thadeus Eisner, alumni of the free University of Berlin.

The second one just calls themselves the "Hellfire Coven". This one has come to attention because they are heavily recruiting among youths and young adults and alledgedly introducing them to drug fuelled orgies. Rumors say, their leader, M. v. Koselbruch is heavily invested in spirit pacts and regularly has some of his disciples die in gruesome accidents.

This is what I meant.
Jack_Spade
Btw:
Weight you get from the depth of the imprint
Height from the average distance between prints
For everything else there is magic wink.gif
Gilga
@Jack that is pretty cool.
Volker
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 24 2020, 11:49 AM) *
Btw:
Weight you get from the depth of the imprint
Height from the average distance between prints
For everything else there is magic wink.gif

I know theoretically but I don't know a single person who is capable of that. So, bnc is pretty stunned.

"Koselbruch" biggrin.gif So sad that the reference is wasted on bnc ^^
Jack_Spade
Give me a Matrix Search (30 Minute Intervall) Threshold 4 to find de la Noir's commcode

And yes, I'm a Krabat fan wink.gif
Volker
QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 24 2020, 08:34 PM) *
Give me a Matrix Search (30 Minute Intervall) Threshold 4 to find de la Noir's commcode

Matrix Search: 18d6t5 9
Wotcha. That was easy ^^

QUOTE (Jack_Spade @ Aug 24 2020, 08:34 PM) *
And yes, I'm a Krabat fan wink.gif

Who isn't?
Jack_Spade
People who don't know Ottfried Preusslers stories wink.gif
Volker
They don't count ^^
Crossbow
Hey folks, sorry for disappearing, getting caught up now.
Gilga
Jack, you probably posted in parallel to Anna doing the assessing.
I'll post once we get some feedback from Jack.
Volker
Rule question: Why do I get marks from a failed data processing action?
Jack_Spade
Control Device test on a device you don't own and hasn't an associated normal action is a sleaze action

CONTROL DEvICE
(VARIABLE ACTION)
Marks Required: varies
Test: (as action) [Data Processing (or special)] v. (as action) or Electronic Warfare + Intuition [Sleaze] v. Intuition + Firewall+
p.238 Core
Gilga
@Jack must say that I admire your mastery of the rules. Haven't played many RPGs but SR5 is by far the most sophisticated I tried.
Volker
Agreed. Thanks for clarification!

To what did the others react? Why did Nova go dark? O.o
Thanee
QUOTE (Volker @ Aug 31 2020, 07:23 AM) *
To what did the others react? Why did Nova go dark? O.o

Ohhh... I totally misread that. wobble.gif

Sorry, it wasn't bnc telling us, that she was targeted by a hacker, but someone else, that the drone picked up. Doh!

I will change my post. smile.gif

Bye
Thanee
Volker
ah, that's why ^^ I thought I missed something.
Gilga
Anna will take the fastest route:
She'll augment her reactions to drive better:
drain vs 3: 11d6t5 5
Driving: 11d6t5 5

PS: I don't know how Jack sees it - but it feels that Anna can perhaps run faster than the bike with the movement metamagic (she has a bound spirit with that power)?
Thanee
The Movement power works on vehicles, but it is much more difficult to achieve good results there. Just see the Movement power on p. 399 SR5.

What are the specs of those bikes?

Handling?
Speed?
Acceleration?
Body?

Bye
Thanee
Gilga
Well - with agility 10 - running speed is 40 km/h, now multiply it by 6 and wonder if Anna really needs a bike to be on pursuit (I bet if it is a very long pursuit she'll get tired running - but she should be able to run for say an hour/half an hour?)
Volker
Actually, with Agility 10 running speed is 40 m/CR, i.e. 48 km/h. With Movement, that would be almost 300 km/h. I don't wanna see her tripping over a pothole, though ^^
Thanee
So, casual walking is at 150 km/h then... sounds good! biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Jack_Spade
To clarify:
Cross country is the shorter route
Street is winding and therefore longer, but naturally it's a lot safer.

Stats for the ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS CYCLOPS:

HANDL 6/4 (Smart Tire and Offroad Suspension)
SPEED 5 (Improved Speed)
ACCEL 2
BODY 4
ARM 4
PILOT 4 (Improved Pilot)
SENS 4 (Improved Sensor)
SEATS 1

Driving with AR improves your Limits by 1

And yes, running fast is all well and good, but handling those speeds is a different matter entirely.
Gilga
Driving it is wink.gif AR enabled to keep all 5 hits. Taking the short route.
Volker
@Jack What went wrong/What did I miss?

James has a running rate of 80 m/CR. Being explicitly optimized for exactly this kind of task (with hydraulic jacks and so forth), 6 hits should do to maintain most of the speed. So let's assume at least 60 which is the exact middle between walking rate and running rate.
For 1000 m, it would take me roughly 17 seconds - less if I can go faster (up to 12,5 secs at max speed).

In these 12 to 20 seconds, they managed to stuff whatever they were using at the moment into their bags, grab the girl, take up all of their gear, shut down the entire digital environment, move to the car, open it wirelessly, "still took two trips to bring out bags of equipment to the car, before getting in it", secure the girl inside, and move the car off the property? Even if they were reckoning with an attack, they won't be able to freeze anything they do mid-sentence and have everything at the ready within milliseconds ... or would they?
To be honest, I thought I'd arrive before they even really made sense of the situation. That's why I was a tad surprised that I come so late.
Jack_Spade
They reacted pretty fast, because they were prepared to leave anyway.
If you want to know the reason for that...
The clues are all there wink.gif
[ Spoiler ]
Volker
Okay, but still ... carrying the girl and all the prepared stuff, returning twice to the building, then back to the car, open and enter the car the old school way without wifi ... in 15 seconds? That's pretty damn fast.

But okay, if they are so fast, I'll roll with it.
Jack_Spade
Arguably, you can get done quite a lot in one round, i.e. 3 seconds in Shadowrun. 15 Seconds are like 5 combat rounds - for three unaugmented people these are about 23 complex actions and the corresponding number of free actions and movement.

The two trips they made are the reason they aren't gone when James arrives but are still putting the car into gear.
Gilga
Well, I wish I could get my kids out of the house in SR time frames wink.gif
- I am delaying until Jack brings Anna there.

Volker, perhaps you can just follow them with the munin drone stealthy, or disarm their car?
Jack_Spade
*sigh*
Would you believe me if I say I'm doing this for your best? Engaging three hostile mages with one precious drone...

@gilga
6th world, all cars have mirrored windows to prevent exactly that - giving mages line of sight to occupants.
Volker
@Jack
I believe you. I didn't argue any further, too. Although, no need to protect me/bnc this way. As I stated before, she wouldn't have picked a fight with them. If she would have had the chance to interfere with one or the other from a favored position one on one, she might have done it, but she wouldn't have gone into a fight with three people - mages or no. You know bnc - she's not a Leeroy Jenkins. She only takes risks when she is in a good position - or when she's being nuts (again). Anyway, nevermind. I just wanted to know whether you missed something or not. I doubt you know all the stats of all the characters by heart. Though I do admit that I prefer not being protected from my own mistakes too much, but I trust you as a GM.

@gilga
Sure, I could. But bnc isn't doing it. You might consider asking her instead of me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012