Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Moirdryd
16:00 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Redmond Barrens, Cao Jaan's halfway house

Knight smiles charmingly and accepts the lady's offered hand, he bows a little to kiss the back of it in traditional greeting, both from his homeland and with his alias.

"A pleasure to meet you Jennifer" he riseds from the bow "Mr Jaan speaks true, i shall be here for a while, adding my skills to this valiant effort. " he glances at Cao "harder than any? what is it you do here, Miss Jennifer?" his eyebrow raised in curiosity.

Evidently it must be something of a special talent for Cao to have singled her out amongst all these people. he mused as he awaited her answer. Though I'm guessing it has something to do with playing mother to many
Cedric Rolfsson
20:59:07 Saturday January 6, 2063 - VIP parking lot of the Paradigm Shift

Erebus keeps the friendly smile on his face as he nods his head and the departing sec-guard and heads into the parking lot as instructed.

He kept scanning the parking lot for things that seemed out of place or dangerous, but he wasn't terribly worried. This was just how business got done.

Besides if Elan shopped me out then I'm a freaking corpse at this point.

When the headlights of a car flashed on and off two rows over on his left, Erebus altered his course that direction. He carefully threaded his way between the parked cars, careful not to touch any of the cars. He angled towards the target vehicle at an oblique angle, out of the direct line of the vehicle's lights.

He stopped and stood in open space between the cars one parking spot away from the passenger door. If worse came to worse he could drop down between the vehicles and crawl for his life.
Morgannah
21:18:45 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

"Stole? Me?" Cosmo laughs softly and shakes her head, pulling two bottles of nail polish from the canvas duffel beside her. Deft fingers begin to touch up the chipped polish.

"Tino, stealing is bad; I'm simply moving these along for a friend. We'd be doubly grateful if you could help us .. quietly, of course."

Yes, Drago, double your cut and we'll see how well you move these.
Sedna
16:13:32 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

"I hope so too," she says and might have added something more --

"Ma! Tony burned the stew!"

"Did not! I just put it on right like you said. Not my fault that she turned it on high!"

A reek of something burning hits the three of them like a wall. The woman still doesn't look very happy at all about the whole situation, but she's being torn in four different directions at the same time and she's still trying not to take her eyes off Dragon. At least she hasn't hit the Panic Button. "Well, take the stew off the burner," she yells back.

"Tell Tony to take it off the burner. He's the one what burned it!"

"I don't care who burned it," she shouts, "Sandra, take it off the burner. Tony, you clean the burner."

"She did it! Why should I have to clean it?"

From across the street, one of the neighbours calls out: "Need some help, Doreen?"

While the woman's trying to sort out the kids, Virgil walks quietly over to the door he knows to have been Jonah's. Buzzer by the front door, maglock swipe just below it. Between the kids and Dragon, the woman's paying absolutely no attention to him whatsoever.
WinterRat1
13:39:00 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

And exactly on time, the voices return. First, the little girl. "Hi hi! We're here Miss Talia!". Then, the older, male one. "Hello again. Are you ready to continue our discussion?"

Oh boy, here we go again... is the only thing on Alleycat's mind. Well, that and two strangers who seem to be able to pop in and out of her mind at will.
grendel
21:19:09 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

"Oh come now, you know I pass no judgments here. Good and evil, right and wrong, is usually just a matter of perspective. Drop your merchandise off at the restaurant and I'll take care of it for you."

Tino chuckles.
Morgannah
21:19:29 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo chuckled throatily and shook her head again, the tiny brush sweeping off her pinky nail with a small flourish.

Why is it, she mused, that men don't play with me any more?

"I'll remember you said that, 'Tino. Ciao."

A bit of a frown creased her forehead as she blew impatiently on her nails; something was bothering her that she could not quite place and it had nothing to do with the fact that she'd spend more time dressing for her trip into the city than she would in the actual meeting. Of course, Cosmo wouldn't consider it a full day unless she'd changed clothes several times anyway.

A tall, striking brunette in a short green dress and long, satin-lined coat made her way from the Trade Winds Hotel. She loaded the two large boxes into the trunk of her coupe and tossed her duffel into the front, finally sliding into the comforting embrace of the supple leather seat. Her fingers fly across the screen of her onboard computer for a few moments as she keys in her next destination.

AMI Networking, then.
grendel
21:36:07 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

AMI Networking is a large, non-descript three story warehouse in an industrial section of North Los Angeles, nestled amidst similar buildings with similar product lines. The structure has a single main entrance, with a pair of large garage door style loading bays. Halogen arc floodlights mounted along the roof keep the area lit to a constant low-light level, and armored lexan half-spheres on the corners of the building house security cameras. The doors appear to be secured with maglocks featuring keypad and biometrics.
Morgannah
21:38:24 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo sighed a bit and went over the blueprints again, applying what she'd seen of the building to the hardcopy in the slim black binder. The coupe was on autonav, destined for Il Grano, but the challenge of the AMI building loomed large in her thoughts. Recon was out of the question for the time being, short of going into the area on foot, since no other passenger vehicles were in evidence. She'd barely slowed to surveil the building before continuing on.

Keypad and cardreader, not bad, but the only way in that isn't a garage door or a fire exit. Cameras are always a problem, along with those lights, but who knows what's inside? Getting in won't be as much of a problem as getting on with it and getting out....

Considering the duffel beside her that was still packed for her earlier job this morning, she looked at the plans more carefully, wondering if she could pull another op tonight. Why not? Cosmo grimaced, unsure of how many more taskings she'd have to go through before she started getting some answers.

She would get answers, of course. One way or another.

The soft glowing lights of Il Grano loomed just ahead as she pulled the sleek car to a halt, touched up her lipstick, and practically glided towards the building. She'd have to see about bringing her 'merchandise' through the kitchen this time, if possible, but none of these thoughts showed on her face as she paused to confer softly with the Maitre D', a soft lilt colouring her accented Italian. It wasn't difficult to find Tino once she'd been ushered in the right direction and as gracefully sank into the chair that was offered her, she wondered if he perhaps had an apartment nearby. Or a bed in the back room, she thought irreverantly, a playful dimple peeking out of one cheek.
grendel
21:46:53 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

If anyone were to look at him, they would instantly understand that he was a man of purpose. They could read that in his piercing gaze, the set of his shoulders, the raw athleticism of a body trained to be a weapon. People instinctively made way for him, staring in awe, or fear, or lust, or any combination thereof. If asked afterwards, though, they would find him vanished from their thoughts, a ghost of an image, indescribable.

His entrance into the restaurant could have been a general in front of a reviewing stand. Instead, the dark intensity of his eyes and the grim set of his face sent a wave of uncertainty and nervousness through those nearest him. He didn't notice, though, his gaze unswerving from his destination at the rear of the building. That is until he heard her laugh.

Turning, he beheld her, the gentle sweep of her cheek, the elegant curl of hair down across her shoulders, the effortless grace with which she carried herself. Her beauty sang to him a primal siren song, and the fractured mirrors of his mind aligned for a breathtaking moment of purity. In that instant, he felt something stir inside him, a long dormant fragment of memory and purpose.

With a new purpose he pivoted sharply on his heel, a warm and irreverant smile teasing across his lips. His stride was less intent now, a little swagger showing through. He ran a hand through his dark tousled locks and settled his coat about his shoulders. For all the change in his outward appearance from one instant to the next, the force of his personality remained as absolutely irresistable as before. The swagger wasn't braggadocio, or egomania, simply put, it was the certainty of a mind that could focus all of its strength into a single laser-like effort to overcome any obstacle in its path.

Cosmo became aware of the presence approaching at the same time Tino did, pivoting slightly in her chair to face the newcomer with a modestly defensive posture. The man, for certainly in her life she had beheld only a handful of individuals that exuded the raw Male power that he did, was dressed in a suit that could only have been tailored for him personally. His face was handsome, without the softness accompanying so many of the 'pretty boys' she'd known. But it was the way he moved as he knelt, and the feel of his hands as he took hers in his. The absolute control he exercised over himself, and the ridges of callous and scars along the knuckles and knife-edges of his hands betrayed his abilities. Cosmo could easily see the whipcord muscles that lay along his arms and coiled across his shoulders, and knew that this was a man who could as easily tear a person a part as one would shred a piece of paper. For all that, though, his touch on her hands was a warm silken caress. His eyes, dark, intense, and longing, pinned her to the chair where she sat, and his voice was pure velvet, the voice of an angel.

"My soul is dark - Oh! quickly string
The harp I yet can brook to hear;
And let thy gentle fingers fling
Its melting murmurs o'er mine ear.
If in this heart a hope be dear,
That sound shall charm it forth again:
If in these eyes there lurk a tear,
'Twill flow, and cease to burn my brain.

But bid the strain be wild and deep,
Nor let thy notes of joy be first:
I tell thee, minstrel, I must weep,
Or else this heavy heart will burst;
For it hath been by sorrow nursed,
And ached in sleepless silence, long;
And now 'tis doomed to know the worst,
And break at once - or yield to song."

As he speaks the last of his request, he glances to the open seat at the next table, an eyebrow raised in a question more formality than anything else.

Sedna
13:39:00 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

I assume this means you have an answer to my question, she replies coolly. This time she's on her own ground; and prepared; and prepared to finish this once and for all.
WinterRat1
13:39:10 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

The man clears his throat, and Alleycat gets the distinct impression of discomfort. “As I recall, you had one question that was essentially four parts. Why are we doing this? Why is it important to us? Why are we doing this to you? And Why—at all? I interpreted that last to be somewhat similar to the first. To answer why we are doing this, it is,”

“Because we love you!”

“Ahem, hush for a moment dear. Yes we love her, but I do not think that will suffice as an answer to her.”

“But we do!”

“I know that, but sometimes saying that is not enough.”

“Does…does she think we’re lying?”
Alleycat suddenly had a very strong mental impression of a little girl with a trembling lower lip and big, wide eyes, as if the possibility that her words would be viewed as lies had never even occurred to her.

“Possibly. The world is not designed to make one trusting of strangers so easily.”

“But…if she thinks we’re lying…then she thinks we’re bad! Only bad people lie! I don’t want Miss Talia to think I’m bad!”

*sniff* *sniff* suddenly gave way to full out sobbing, and Alleycat knew, just knew , beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the idea to the little girl that she would be viewed as bad by Alleycat was a simply devastating thought. In her mind, she saw clearly the old man picking up the little girl and hugging her closely, stroking her hair and whispering softly to her, and trying to comfort her. “Oh dear, I’m afraid she’s quite upset now. I think I shall have to turn you over to another. I do apologize. We had all hoped to minimize your confusion, but it appears that will not be so easy. She is easily upset and simply distraught right now. I will speak to you soon, I have no doubts.”

Footsteps…departure…footsteps…arrival… What in the Nine Frags is going on here?!??!?! It’s like the fragging circus has come to town and they’re setting up camp in my head!

“Not quite the circus sweetie.” Alleycat ‘whirls’ in her mind’s eye and comes face to face with another girl, this one in her early twenties or so. And stops cold in her tracks. She’s seen this girl before. She doesn’t know where, and she doesn’t know how she knows, but she’s as sure of this as anything she’s ever been in her life that she knows this girl. Somehow, some way…

“Although it probably seems like that.” The girl smiles, and Alleycat feels…warm…almost…fuzzy inside.

“Let me summarize, since I’m sure by now you’re confused as hell and have many more questions than just that one. First, we’re doing this because it’s extremely important to both you and us. It is important because we cannot exist without you, and you cannot exist without us. Only by helping one another can we come to the end of our respective journeys. Without each other, well, we’ll never make it. Plain and simple. I’m sure you’ve got more questions, so why don’t you go ahead and ask before I go any further?”
Tiredronin
16:15:12 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Overhearing the conversations through Talo's acute sensors Daedalus remarks:

"'Good Samaritan Act of 2002', Public Law 108-317... hah hah! If I didn't have a computer in front of me, I might have believed you too.

Looks like you two have bitten off quite a chunk out here, good thing I showed up in town early for once eh?

ah, and well since tomrrow was our planned rendezvous ... I'll have to pick up the rest of my gear at the port tonight, but it looks like there may be some complications on that, gotta contact my smuggler and see if there is any trouble."

Sedna
13:39:20 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

"Confused as hell" isn't exactly the way Alleycat would have put it ... although it might have been the most printable alternative.

"You, kid, I don't think you're lying," Alleycat finally says. "Get that straight. You're telling the truth as you think you know it. Whether or not it's relevant or even real doesn't mean it's not true -- to you. If you think good and bad are more than words, more power to you. You" -- to the (man? but she's not committing to that one either) -- "well, we'll get back to that."

Too late. They're already gone.

Shit. Can't they just get their act together so I can figure out what they want and have done?

Arrival.

... since I’m sure by now you’re confused as hell ...

You got that straight, sweetie.

Alleycat listens through the rest of the spiel, seems as good a way as any of untangling what all this is about and getting it solved and gone. But one phrase stops her dead in her tracks: "Hold it, no va, what do you mean, 'I can't exist without you'? I'm existing just fine, thank you very much."
WinterRat1
13:39:30 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

“Are you now? Have you examined the state of your soul lately? So much for kindness, humanity, treating a little girl like that. And a crying one at that, who simply wants you to love her. Huh. Maybe you’re ‘existing’ in the technical sense of the term, but that’s it.”

The woman smirks at Alleycat , and it’s definitely a smirk that she’s doing on purpose. "Then again, maybe not. You want us gone so bad? Fine, we’ll leave for a moment. And while we’re gone, try to cast a spell. Go ahead. After you do, we’ll come back, and then let’s see if you’re so certain you’re ‘existing’.” the woman actually uses her fingers to make little quotation marks, almost taunting Alleycat “We’ll see if that constitutes tangible proof for you.”
Sedna
13:39:40 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

"I'm telling her the truth," Alleycat retorts, shivering a little at the implied power of the woman's next statement. And how can I know that she doesn't have that kind of power? I can't even keep them out of my mind. "Where's the kindness or humanity in setting her up to hope for something that doesn't exist?"
Scrapheap
21:14:02 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Near Underground 93

With a final wave to the departing bouncer, who'd been refreshingly open and helpful, John returned his attention the eager young elf.

"Nothing tonight, kid. At least not for you guys." Here's hoping that they all have someplace warm to sleep. "I'm gonna go check with a couple of friends, see if they turned up anything."

Megan, never at a loss for words, opened her mouth, but before she could get anything out John looked away and addressed the entire group. "Listen, you guys have been a big help tonight. You're good friends, and Twiggy and Nora are both lucky. But that's it until tomorrow when this soup kitchen opens..."

As he paused for breath, Megan jumped in: "Yeah, but you'll need us tomorrow! Take you to the Respite, introduce you to Keira, you know, help. C'mon!"

"Ok, Ok!" John laughed and held up both hands in mock surrender. "Take it easy! We'll meet there about 09:30, give or take. That should allow time for the morning rush and maybe the staff won't be so busy." He heard a couple of the other kids groan when he mentioned the time. Turning to them he said, "I know, I know, but the sooner the better, right? On the other hand, not everyone has to come. In fact, it might be better if we didn't show up as a small army, but I'll leave that to you guys to figure out. You know the place better than I do."

Reaching out, he gently squeezed Megan's shoulder. She bit her lower lip and looked up at him, but as she opened her mouth John once again cut her off, "Take care, kiddo. See you in the morning." He then quickly tousled her spiky blond hair, and ignoring her indignant "Hey!", turned to young man who had come up to stand next to them. Shaking the kid's hand, he said "Thanks again, Tyler."

"Nul persp, pops. See ya tomorrow."

With a quick wave at the other kids, John then turned and walked off into the snowy night.
WinterRat1
13:39:50 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

She is answered only by silence. Apparently the woman wants Alleycat to try casting a spell as instructed. The absence of the woman, of all their presences, leaves Alleycat feeling surprisingly empty. Well, do I listen to her or not? If she can really mess with me like that, I might want to know about it before I run into a situation where I really can’t afford to have a spell fail on me. But frag…who…what, am I dealing with here?
Sedna
13:40:00 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

Yeah, of all the things I'd like to know about this whole situation, that last would have to be at the top of the list.

"I believe you, you know," Alleycat says, out loud as well: seems stronger somehow. "You're not the kind to tease around power and control over others you're not prepared to demonstrate." I should know. "If you're waiting for me to test it so you can demonstrate it, you're going to be waiting a long time. So are you going to keep jerking me around, or are you going to get to the fragging point?"
WinterRat1
13:40:10 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

The woman ‘reappears’, and shrugs. “We’re not trying to jerk you around, and we don’t feel the need, or even the desire to demonstrate our ‘power’,” and Alleycat picks up a faint sense of ironic amusement from the woman at the word power, “to you.”

“You’re so stubborn, you still don’t get that we’re here to help, do you? Or can you just not accept it? But fair enough, I understand you have no real reasons to trust us, and plenty of reasons not to. Therefore, I propose a demonstration of good faith on both our parts.”

She gestures, drawing a circle in the air with her finger, and a hole appears, which gradually expands to become what is quite obviously a portal. On the other side of the portal is a swirling purple mist, which is at once translucent and yet so thick that Alleycat cannot see through it. “Follow me in faith, and you will in turn, learn what we can do for you.”

The woman steps through the portal, and her presence is again noticeably gone, leaving Alleycat alone, in silence, and with a choice.
banditf50
16:01 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Redmond Barrens, Cao Jaan's halfway house

Between the compliments and the attention from Knight that is almost dead in these times, Jennifer is obviously blushing. "Stop that right now Jaan. All I do is pull my own weight around here."

"Nonsense. Jennifer is wonderful at making people feel comfortable in these surroundings. Many of those that are new off the streets have learned to distrust people by nature, so it can be hard to reach out to them. She is also has a great sense of how to care for the few children that live here."

Knowing that she is blushing Jennifer tries to remedy the situation by just looking down at Knight's hand.

"Jennifer knows the names of everyone here and a bit about each of them. If you ever need to know something and I am not around, she is the person to go to."

Morgannah
21:50:27 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

There was nothing in her world beyond those dark, fathomless eyes; no sound that reached her but the deep velvet baritone of a voice that was unnerving in its intensity, disturbing the carefully drawn web she kept about herself at all times. She felt as though she could float away since every nerve, every sensation gathered within her small, supple hands, leaving the rest of her hovering dreamily above them, reaching for something .. elusive.

Cosmo sat perfectly still, wholly entranced by words she knew well, felt to her very core but again, defied her in their placement. She'd never desired her lost memories as much as she did in this moment, never cared to know anyone as well as this beautiful male creature might know her, never wished to go back to that forgotten place of blood and blackness .. until now. A soft, expectant hush fell about the cozy dining room. Everything seemed to slow as she could do nothing but meet that longing gaze, staring into eyes she'd happily drown within.

Who are you?

That single pleading thought brought the world back into focus and sent it lurching forward with all its former speed. She drew a ragged breath and nodded, sensing that a question had been asked of her, uncaring of what it might have been. The answer was yes.

Always, yes.
banditf50
21:00:14 Saturday January 6, 2063 - VIP parking lot of the Paradigm Shift

The car is a silver, four-door BMW sedan. Erebus did not spend a lot of time watching the trid, but he recognized this car from several commercials. The front windows of the sedan were not tinted and Erebus could see an elven man of about middle-age behind the wheel. Nobody was in the passenger seat. As his gaze falls upon the approaching runner he removes his mirror shades and flashes Erebus a friendly smile before nodding his head in the direction of the sedan's trunk; which pops open on cue.

Smiling back at the man Erebus strides over to the trunk, quite satisfied that Elans's courier seems content not to bog down the exchange with conversation. Lifting open the unlatched trunk he sees a black backpack in the style that a student might carry, a credstick reader, and a manilla envelope with writing on one face.

Erebus,
I regret that I was unable to attend tonight's meet, you know how things go. You may leave any cash in this envelope or use the cred reader. When you are done just close the trunk and walk out of the lot with the pack. Have a good night.
Elan
banditf50
16:14:02 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

We'll be out of here soon enough . . .Tyr-willing. Dragon just walk back to the car before she becomes any more suspicious.

Hitting the buzzer on Jonah's door he steps back and awaits the inevitable silence of recieving no response. After awaiting a few moments he hits the buzzer again, this time with a more urgency.

"Please Jonah, just be in the bathroom."

Recieving no response Virgil bangs on the door three times. "Jonah are you ok? Cindy and I have been trying to call you all day. Jonah . . . "

Reaching out he checks to see if the door is locked.
Cedric Rolfsson
21:01:10 Saturday January 6, 2063 - VIP Parking at Paradigm Shift

Erebus slid nuyen.gif 140 in hardcopy notes into the envelope, and picked up the backpack in his left hand. gently shutting the trunk he moved off through the parking lot without a backward glance.

As quickly as he could move without drawing attention to himself he cleared the area. Now that he had two disposable LTG numbers to use he needed to get back on Shadowland and see about contacting Dancer to find out if they were serious about an extraction. That plus the run that Max had popping would significantly help the nuyen balance on Erebus' accounts. He knew he'd need the cred to continue to expand his own network of contacts.

Keeping an eye on his back trail, the Elven runner headed into the night on a roundabout course back to where he'd left his bike. He needed to mount up and get directions off to Caveman Kate's. The night air felt crisp and cool against his skin and Erebus felt the snow through the layers of armor and synthleather he was wearing. He didn't look forward to trying to ride with the weather getting worse but the shadows waited for no one. He still felt uncertain about his timing, he felt like events were moving him rather than him controlling events, but all he could do was play the hand he'd been dealt.
Sedna
13:40:10 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - at her Puyallup doss

Did I ask you to do anything for me? but the shrug/reticence/what have you isn't even really to the level of a conscious thought.

The purple mist continues to swirl in front of her: bait, huacalli, a door, a grail. A short out-loud laugh at that last: that distraction she doesn't need. So call it a translator; and hope that maybe something closer to a common language exists on the other side. "We're here to help" isn't really a phrase that exists in Alleycat's dictionary.

If this is an astral portal, then that would make the woman a free spirit or something of the same nature. Even someone like Alleycat could step through such a portal, but she'd be placing her complete trust in whoever was holding open the portal. They had but to release it, and she would be dead.

Why not? What have I to lose? No la quiero regar. I'll follow because I've got to track this down and end it, ye tlacua-lo! but esta chica se está saliendo del guacal.

Alleycat grins, and rises, and steps through.
Sedna

The door isn't locked. Or rather, the lock had never properly re-engaged after having been damaged in the initial break-in.
banditf50

Slowly Virgil pushes the door open, just enough so that the complete dissary of the ransacked apartment is visible from the hallway. Striding back towards the doorway he addresses the women, Doreen is her name, in the tone of a man who is scared, but trying ever so hard not to show it.

"Ma'am it looks like this apartment has been broken into but Jonah does not appear to be home."

Clutching Jeremiah's rosary against his chest . . ."I am going to have to call my bodyguard in here to look around, it's his job to asses the situation and call help if needed. Why don't you go inside and tend to your family."
Sedna
16:16:21 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Despite the sharp intake of breath, she doesn't scream, and now she's not going to. (There was a moment, earlier, when it was touch and go.) As she sees the wreckage Doreen's hand goes to her mouth, but all in all she's more controlled than the shaman had been afraid she would be. Now that the two of them are clearly separated from being probable cause, she seems to have accepted them as the relevant authority.

"Ma! Suzy dumped the cat in the toilet tank again."

She doesn't seem to hear. "I was afraid it was something like this," she whispers."
banditf50
16:16:43 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Stepping towards Doreen he waves at Dragon through the doorway, indicating the all-clear. Just take it slowly man, and try to look official. More importantly though is the shaken women standing next to him. Not sure whether she would be comfortable with him holding her hand or touching her shoulder, Virgil settles on just a comforting tone.

"Ma'am there isn't much that you or I can do as my bodyguard looks around, but if you know anything that can help us find Jonah I would greatly appreciate your help. . . Perhaps you would feel better sitting down for a moment."

It is not too difficult for Virgil to speak with a genuinely worried tone. Jonah was their only solid link to locating Julia, and her certainly was worried for every moment that anyone associated with Aztechnology could be getting closer to her.
Scrapheap
21:49:55 Sunday 07 January 2063 - Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

As John stepped into the bar's dark interior, he could feel more than hear the 'whir' as his cybereyes adjusted to the bar's lighting. Looking around, he could see a couple of the patrons on the near end of the bar just turning back to their drinks. The place was about half-full; a good crowd for a Sunday.

He took off his ragged Detroit Tigers hat, swiping it against his leg a couple of times to shake the moisture off. Then, making sure that he was on the mat, he stomped his feet to clean his boots of slush. Stepping out of the entryway and unzipping his jacket he heard a deep voice from his left. "Well, well, well. Whazup, OS?"

Standing from the stool he'd been seated on near the door was one of the biggest orcs that John had ever seen. He was so big in fact, that people often mistook him for a troll. His name was Lamont Johnson, but everyone called him Biscuit, and had since he was young. He'd once told John that his sister had started it, saying that he was one biscuit away from fat. He'd played football at U-Dub, middle linebacker, and seemed headed for the pros until he blew out his knee his junior year. John knew that Biscuit went on the occasional run, but only when he needed the cred. Usually, he just worked the door at a couple of bars and nightclubs, including Quinn's.

John's thoughts were interrupted as Biscuit engulfed him in that sort of combo bear-hug/handshake thing that you saw on the street. "Ooof. Easy there big guy. Us old folks have brittle bones. You might break my hip."

His smile displaying an impressive array of tusks, Biscuit replied, "Man, OS, there ain't nuttin brittle bout you." John smiled and shook his head at the nickname. The hulking bouncer had called him "OS" from their first meeting. It meant "Old School" and he said it was a compliment, but John wasn't so sure.

Sitting back down, the big orc continued, "You lookin' for Finn, right? He upstairs, in his office." As John turned and walked away, he called out "Come back down when you done, chummer. I'll be here."

John lit a cigarette as he walked past the bar. The bartender, a pretty brunette named Melinda, smiled when she saw him. She held up a coffee cup and raised an eyebrow, silently asking. He smiled, shook his head, and pointed at the ceiling. Nodding, she sat the cup aside and turned to fill a customer's order.

Rounding the end of the bar, John could see into the back area. Here were a couple of pool tables and some dart machines, as well as a few other games he'd never checked out. Also, further back, were the booths where shadow-business sometimes took place. Finn, the owner of Loveland Quinns, had run the shadows with John back in the early days. Though he was officially retired, he still kept up with the word on the street, and he still had friends. Lots of friends.

With quick glance around, John opened the door to the storeroom, which was located directly behind the bar. Closing the door behind him, he turned and walked down the narrow aisle, boxes of beer bottles and other spirits stacked to either side. At the other end of the small room was a desk with a small lamp and a litter of paper covering the surface. Next to the desk was a door, which he opened to reveal a set of stairs leading up.
Sedna
16:17:45 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

"Middle of the night," she whispers, not moving toward the clearly empty and very trashed apartment. "All this noise, woke the kids up. They crawled into bed with me. I was trying to remember if I had put the chain on."

The chain swings gently against the wall in Jonah's apartment, disturbed by the slight movement of the door.

"I was thinking whether to hit the PanicButton when the noise stopped. They charge us a service charge each time we use the PanicButton. Kids fell asleep, but I'm still wide awake. It's just noise, there's always noise somewhere. I had to get some sleep before my shift?"

Now Virgil's noticing the dark shadows under her eyes as she's looking to him for reassurance: did she do right?
Scrapheap
21:55:25 Sunday 07 January 2063 - Finn's office, Loveland Quinn's Bar, Puyallup

John stood in the doorway to Finn's office, the light from several monitors reflecting off of his mirrored eye-shields. The room was dimly lit, and most of that from the wall of monitors mounted opposite the door. Several of the screens displayed scrolling code, though the others showed a variety of subjects.

On one, John saw a schematic-like wireframe view of Finn's matrix icon: a cartoon bird, complete with jauntily perched derby hat and stubby cigar. Finn had once shown him a printout of the old cartoon characters that it was based upon, though there had been two birds in that image and they had been black. Though wireframe here, John knew that the icon would be red in the matrix. I wonder if he's making changes to it?

Another screen showed a replay of last night's urban brawl match, and yet more showed various views of the bar below. A couple more showed nothing at all.

Finn himself was seated at his desk in a high-backed pleather chair, slumped back, chin on his chest, thinning reddish hair spilling across his face. Cables spiraled from the chrome jacks in his temple to the sleek deck sitting on his desk. The rest of the desk's surface was covered in scraps of paper, take-out containers, dirty plates and cups, and various electronic parts and tools. A large workbench off to the side contained more tools and more junk, as well as spools of wire and cable. Speaking of cables, they ran everywhere: across the floor and ceiling, up the walls, though the doorway and down the hall. John had no idea what they were all for, and he sometimes wondered if Finn did either.

Crossing the room and taking one of the other chairs, John settled in to wait. Finn was obviously jacked-in and hard at work, so there was no telling when he'd be finished and back in the real world. He watched as his oldest friend slumped in the large office chair, eyes darting beneath closed lids and breath slowly whistling in and out of his large nose. Slowly, John started to relax. He took one last drag, then tossed his smoking cigarette into a half-full coffee cup. Then, he shifted around to get more comfortable, sinking deeper into the chair.

Drek, but I'm beat. Maybe I'll just rest my eyes for a minute. Finn'll probably be done soon. When he jacks-out I'm sure he'll wake me up. I mean, how much longer could he be? It'll be fine...Just rest...my...eyes...
WinterRat1
16:17:55 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Catching Virgil’s signal, Dragon quietly enters the building and nods at him. “Sir, I’ll look around and make sure it’s safe. Perhaps if you could talk to the lady and find out what she saw so we can file a proper report?”

Turning to the woman, he nods respectfully. “Ma’am. You did the right thing last night. Don’t worry, everything will be ok. You’re safe, and we’ll take it from here. Thank you for your cooperation.”

Entering Jonah’s apartment, Dragon quickly but carefully begins sweeping it for any clues as to Jonah’s whereabouts, identity, who might have come here, who might know where he went, absolutely anything that might prove useful information.

Gotta make sure I don’t leave any tracks for anyone else to find that might lead them to us. But I gotta find something here, there has to be something to help us At least, I certainly hope so…
WinterRat1
?? : ?? : ?? - Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Somewhere Out There

With an equal mixture of trepidation and anticipation, Alleycat steps through the portal into the purple mist. As soon as she’s through, the portal snaps shut behind her, and the world around her fades to black…then white…then green…then blue…then red…then all of them…and then none of them…it’s like she’s everyone at once and nowhere at once.

Finally the world (?) stops changing colors, and she finds herself in a plain, ordinary room. She would swear that suddenly she’s found herself in a plain, boring receptionist room, not unlike what one might find in a typical doctor’s office. There is a secretary sitting behind a desk in a reception booth, ordinary tan chairs line the walls, near a door next to the receptionist office sits a potted plant, and in the middle of the room is a coffee table with magazines.

Only two things tip her off that this is not normal. First, the receptionist behind the desk is the little girl, this time smiling brightly and industriously concentrating on what appears to be a coloring book. Her hair falls to about her shoulders, slightly covering her face when she leans forward, and she has a studious, serious look about her as she carefully concentrates on coloring precisely within the lines. The other odd thing about the office is that Alleycat appears to be standing upside down, on the ceiling.

Before she can say anything, the little girl looks up, smiles brightly, and waves. “Oh hi Miss Talia ! I didn’t hear you come in. I’m sorry, I know I should pay more attention, but it’s my first day on the job.” The intercom buzzes just then, and a strange voice says, “Please send in our guest dear. Let’s not keep her waiting.”

“OK, Mr. Kitty , let me just get her off the ceiling,” the girl replies, as if it’s perfectly normal that Alleycat is standing on the ceiling. She reaches out and twists some kind of knob, and the room (or is it Alleycat ?) rotates. Except now Alleycat is on the floor and everything else is on the ceiling. Or did the room rotate? It’s hard to tell, and Alleycat decides not to drive herself crazy by wondering.

Frowning, the girl reaches out for a second knob, and twists them both at the same time. This time, both Alleycat and the room rotate, and somehow, they end up with the room right-side up and Alleycat standing on the floor. At least, she thinks so. Regardless, the door is now directly in front of her, and she’s not going to question how the heck this all is working.

“There we go! OK you can go in now!” The girl buzzes open the door, and after only a moment’s hesitation, Alleycat steps through.

On the other side of the door is a cat. Not just any cat though, a giant tiger, about the size of an elephant. This is Mr. Kitty ? Alleycat can’t help but think. Is that little girl nuts? On the other hand, maybe I’m the crazy one here

Mr. Kitty growls at her, a low throaty growl that is clearly a challenge. “Tell me, who are you, and convince me as to why should I let you pass.” he/she/it challenges Alleycat .
banditf50
16:18:02 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Not pausing to acknowedge Dragon as moves to inspect the doss Virgil can see that the mercs official-sounding tone has little power to comfort the distressed mother. Looking at Doreen the shaman could not help but think of his own mother. Being a single parent with several children whom you are trying desperately to give a better life too, needing to work long hours just to make ends meet. Living in this type of neighboorhood and under those conditions, Virgil could not blame her for not wanting to get involved. It was noble enough that Doreen seemed to be such a caring mother.

"You did excellent Doreen, it is better that you stayed in bed with your children because the people that might be after Jonah would have very easily harmed you and your family. I admire your courage."

Pausing to keep eye contact with her, Virgil trys to speak with her as if he was talking to his own late-mother.

"Is there anything that I can do to help you and your family right now?"
Sedna
16:20:19 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

As Dragon passes by her to begin examining the apartment she shakes her head, a little too quickly. Maybe "courage" was the wrong word to have used. Virgil recognises the pattern of growing fear from the people he'd talked to at the burnt-out gaming house: tempered here with a sense of neighbourly responsibility. Now that Virgil's words have freed her from the paralysis of her contradicting motivations, she's starting to edge toward her own door.

It's a very methodical chaos Dragon discovers. The search for information alone would not have left such a disaster. Even a simple break-in would only have brought about such disorder as is inherent in a quick unearthing of valuables. Only an anticipation of punishment would have been this thorough. He knows before he begins that he's not going to find anything as obvious as a pocket secretary or more archaic rolodex: the people who were here wanted to find Jonah just as much as he does. To discover something new, he'll have to try to place himself in Jonah's shoes or have a stroke of uncanny luck. The first is not Dragon's strong point, not at all; but he's been a soldier far too long to trust to the second, so he sighs and tries to let himself see the place as it once was.

From Doreen's apartment: "Ma! I can't find the flavourings!"

She jumps. "In a minute," she answers automatically, distractedly. "Is there anything else you need from me, sir?"

Sir. Not for the first time, the shaman is uncomfortably reminded of just how far his personal path had taken him from his own roots. I'm still who I always was, he reminds himself firmly. But still, Sir.

"Just one last thing," Virgil says at last, remembering almost too late. "It's important more than ever that I find Jonah." Don't include Dragon, she's still very nervous around him, the kind of nervous that's one breath away from panicked. "Can you remember anything else at all that might help me?"

Once it might have been a very homely place, overturned and splintered suggestions of Japanese monochromatic and angular austerness punctuated with smashed hints of a personal joie de vivre. Even in its current state, the living room is sterile. The kitchen is not: pots, pans, smashed dishes and tomatoes, fridge magnets. Fridge magnets ...

Dragon considers. Littered papers, odd post-its all over the place, most of them quick notes to self: Pick up toilet paper. A torn corner from one of the papers tells him of at least one missing bill: of course they'll be tracing him by his assets. Hmm, no sign of a hurried packing. He never came here at all after leaving the gaming house. That's going to make the trail colder.

Something catches his eye. Frowning, he kneels carefully, trying to avoid leaving any trace (but really, it was hardly avoidable, most of it would be lost in the general chaos anyway), and starts examining more closely the crack between refrigerator and cabinets. Yes, there's almost certainly something back there.

"It was over before 3:30," she says. "I remember, I was wide awake and staring at my clock radio. Maybe I should tell his father what happened. I'm not sure if I should though. Jonah really didn't talk about him much."
grendel
21:50:52 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

With a gentleness born of absolute control, Byron lifted Cosmo from her seat, drawing her two tables down before settling next to her along the bench seat. His eyes never left hers, their dark depths now infused with a shimmering delight. Cosmo could read the raw power of his emotions there, could feel them coursing through his skin, and felt as if she were standing too close to a bonfire.

"You are enchanting, exquisite," he says simply, his voice free of artifice but all the more seductive for it. "I was bewitched the moment I saw you. Tell me, sweet Siren, what is your name?"
Sedna

Okaaay, when did I piss off the tiger totem? Don't remember that one ...

Topsy-turviness, Alleycat can deal with. It's just another take on the Matrix. The rule is that normal rules don't apply -- but each domain does have its own rules sure enough. I don't know these, yet. I will.

At that, she grimaces. I suppose they'll call that another version of colouring within the lines. Bet they won't bother to point out that they're the ones that drew them.

Ah well. Door's now in front of her. She'll settle. Magazines would almost certainly be a couple of years old anyway -- and somehow she just knew that if she were to glance at any of them, she'd still find all of its pages blank. Text: now that would be freaky.

"You know who I am," she says back. "If you didn't, I wouldn't be here in the first place. As to why you should let me pass, she's the one what opened the door here. In some circles that passes for an invitation; in others, a command. Either way, it's an ending. So obviously she thinks I should be here. Beyond that, why don't you ask her?"
Morgannah
21:51:19 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo felt all but helpless under the potency of Byron's gaze; her first few moments of stunned speechlessness gave way to a giddy rush or girlish delight and finally to the liquid warmth that coiled heavily about her middle, very nearly curling her toes. Of all the men she'd ever known, not one had been able to overwhelm her senses quite like this intoxicatingly beautiful stranger. She shifted somewhat closer to him, content only when forearms, hips, and knees touched and no real distance remained between them. Expressive jade-hued eyes widened as he spoke again, asking a question that had (for her, anyway) a hundred answers.

Back away, girl.

"Meaghan," she breathed, a hint of uncultured brogue slipping in along with a soft sigh. Her cheeks stained a delicate pink. All thoughts of her usual games flew from her mind, replaced by that single burning question.

"Who are you?"

Blushing more deeply as she realized that she had, in fact, asked out loud, Cosmo's gaze dropped to her hands, staring with avid interest at their entwined fingers wondering how she could have lost control of the situation so completely. Even more disturbing was the realization that she cared not at all....
grendel
21:51:37 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"Meaghan." Byron whispers the name, mimicking Cosmo's brogue almost perfectly. He reaches up to brush his fingertips across the blush on her cheeks, his touch featherlight.

"Up until a moment ago, I was searching for something I didn't even know I'd lost. I am a wanderer by nature, a child of the open sky. Now, perhaps, I shall be something else. Byron is the name I answer to most days."
Morgannah
21:51:52 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Glancing up sharply at the sound of her name caressed by such sweet dulcet tones, she smiled charmingly, lightly turning her cheek towards that featherlight touch. It was somehow right that he used her given name rather than the one she'd adopted all those years ago. In truth, she'd missed the sound of it so much that one of her aliases had been created specifically to fill that void.

Cosmo's fingers itched to touch a satiny curl as it fell across his forehead, artlessly casting a shadow over one eye. A small voice in the back of her mind warned that there was danger here. But his voice held my spirit with a strange sweet sound....

"Byron," she inclined her head, a dimple peeking shyly from each cheek. "What would you be now?" What else have you been called?
grendel
21:52:06 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"A gentleman, if you desire; a scoundrel, if you ask; a friend and confidant, if such be needed. In everything, though, a servant to your beauty. I would be honored if you joined me for dinner tonight, fair Meaghan."

Byron's gaze turns from where his fingers still caress her cheek, to meet Cosmo's stare. The power of his dark soul pours fourth, utterly confident in her answer even before he's asked the question.
Morgannah
21:52:28 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo's smile deepened, that small voice in the back of her mind growing quieter and quieter under the sheer force of Byron's personality.

Say no! Schedule for another night if you have to, girl, but not tonight. Give yourself time to breathe, to recover, time to think this over. 'Tino is still waiting for you at the other table, he....

"I will bear that all in mind," a mischevious light sparkles in her eyes as she gazes up at him, feeling so small, so .. delicate in such a powerful presence. She wondered for a second what he would do if she said 'no' but the thought of being separated from this irresistible man was absolutely unbearable. Opening her mouth to accept, she found that no words would come, none that would do justice to the elated rush of emotion that finally coursed, unimpeded, throughout her.

"Dinner would be heavenly." She finished breathlessly, suddenly hungrier than she'd ever been.
WinterRat1
16:21:19 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Quietly, so as not to distub Virgil's conversation with the woman, Dragon attempts to move the refridgerator so as to get whatever is lying between the fridge and the cabinets.

Almost absently as well, he grabs a bill as well. If they're going to try to track him through his assets, it wouldn't hurt us to try the same trick as well. Still, I want to see what is back here. That could be extremely useful and just might be the break we need...

Working his way back towards the crack, he attempts to retrieve or examine whatever is back there.
WinterRat1

The tiger laughs, a cold, mocking sound. "I was not asking for my benefit, but for yours. I know who you are, but I can see that you still do not. You answer my question with the arrogance of one who presumes knowledge to conceal the lack of it. Still, you are not here for the reasons you think you are, and you do not even know where 'here' is, do you?"

The tiger shakes his head and purrs. "You have no clue as to who you are, but I can see that your pursuit of that knowledge will only continue to frustrate you, thanks in no small parts to your own arrogance and inability to face your shortcomings. Still, if you should choose to engage in a self-destructive cycle of self-delusion, who am I to stop you?"

He/she/it snorts, and concludes, "In any event, you have a choice. Pick a door, and seek your answers. If you have the courage, that is."

The tiger waves, and seven doors appear behind me in an arc. On each door is a question. In order, from left to right, the doors read:

1. Who are you?
2. What do you love the most?
3. What do you understand the least?
4. What do you most wish to be?
5. What do you wish most NOT to be?
6. What do you want most NOT to face?
7. What do you want to face the most?

The tiger chuckles one last time and disappears, but its voice lingers, "There is always one more door, should you choose it." A door appears again behind Alleycat, and she already knows what the voice will say next. "The way you came in."

Great...I feel like a mouse in a maze. And I'm sure as frag getting sick of all these games. Still, the question now is, which door do I pick?
grendel
21:52:47 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Byron smiles, delight suffusing his face. Glancing back over his shoulder, he nods to the waiter. Menus appear, as well as place settings, water and wine glasses. Byron swirls the merlot in his glass, sampling the boquet. His posture is relaxed, yet he is in complete control of the situation.

"Tell me, sweet Meaghan, tell me everything about yourself."
Sedna
16:22:53 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Almost at once Dragon realises that it won't be hard to move the fridge. It will just be almost impossible to do so without leaving traces of his entry. As he considers, he glances at the paper he'd absently picked up; and realises it isn't a bill after all, just a promotional advertisement for switching long distance companies. His precedessors through the apartment had been thorough: that corner he'd spotted earlier was all that was left of any financial statement.
Sedna

I always hated these kinds of tests, even if I've learned most of them well enough to get whatever answer I want out of them. "You are not here for the reasons you think you are": what the hell does that mean anyway? As long as I'm playing by their rules though, I've got to come up with the answer they want -- and I've no clue what that is. Just look at these questions! Self-evident, much?

And they call me arrogant. At least I've earned the fragging right.

Choices, choices, choices.

Well, the way she'd come in wasn't a viable choice: solved nothing. Close that one off. Let's look at the others:
1. Who are you?

Yeah, right. A is A. Next?
2. What do you love the most?

Seventeen dictionary definitions of the word flash through Alleycat's mind as she considers this one -- and rejects it. "Love's" not the word that comes to mind in any case. She belongs to the sun. There's an end to it.
3. What do you understand the least?

"You are not here for the reasons you think you are". Now there's a trap waiting to happen.
4. What do you most wish to be?

Me. Next?
5. What do you wish most NOT to be?

She hesitates over this one maybe more than she should, finally cutting it off with a sharp slice of her hand. I left. It's over. Wishing is irrelevant.
6. What do you want most NOT to face?

She pauses between this door and the next, idly considering how very odd it always feels for printed symbols to evoke connotation-meaning-link:
7. What do you want to face the most?

Hell, I'm curious. Rompe el tambor: let's shatter this screen.

And she goes back to the sixth door, and opens it.
WinterRat1
16:23:05 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Damn, and it seemed like such a good idea too. Still, if those guys were pros, then it stands to reason that they’d have taken all the financials with them, so I couldn’t pull the same trick. Well that tears it then, I’m definitely going to have to look behind the fridge and hope that whatever leads are back there are enough to make up for whatever the bad guys got from this place that we didn’t. Hopefully it won’t leave too much trace of our presence, but what the hell can we do, huh? I’ll just move it back when I’m done.

Quietly, Dragon moves the fridge to give himself access to whatever is in the crack between it and the cabinets, and examines what is back there, keeping a wary eye out for any potential traps that might have been placed there, ready to fling himself out of the way at a moment’s notice…just in case.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012