Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Sedna
1715 January 7, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Sara gets up at least three times during the short dinner to check on the current emulsion. Although she is paying attention to what Andie is saying, she's clearly more than a bit distracted. At least her preoccupation spares Andie the lecture on all the things that one has to watch for during the process, beyond the basic parameters of lunar phases, zodiacs, exact time of day. Ley line proximity. Current mana fluctuations: was someone else casting magic nearby? The presence of an astral form. To hear Sara talk about it, making orichalcum's not a routine thing, not at all.

"Sure I'll talk to him," she says as she returns to the dinner for the third time, "but don't get your hopes up too high. He's solid, with a solid clientele, and the price is certainly going to reflect that. Although at least you're good enough at this kind of thing that most of them wouldn't instantly walk." Andie didn't ask, but Sara answered the unspoken question on his face: "People like staying with whom they know, and if they can't have that they'll shop around for someone with as much experience as the person they knew. Doesn't matter how good the new person is, some of them will always walk no matter what. You could be good enough to hang on to some of them if you'd only get out a little more, but don't be surprised if you lose 90 percent of them."

And then the first part of what Andie had said connects, and she lets out a low whistle: "You found an affordable place downtown? Did you go just now to check it out?"
WinterRat1
1110 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Before anyone can answer, Virgil gets a call on his phone. Excusing himself for a few minutes, he returns and says with a tight look on his face, "Dragon, can I speak to you for a minute?"

Knowing something was up, Dragon replies, "Yeah. Will you ladies excuse us for a moment?"

Heading to the restroom area in the back of the restaurant, he looks at Virgil and asks, "OK. Who was that, what's up, and why do you look so pissed?"
SentineloftheMountain

Andie says to Sara in response, "Well, it sounds affordable." referring to the downtown building real estate listing. "I had hoped to go down there tomorrow and check it out. I placed a call with the building landlord while I was out for an appointment to see the building space tomorrow. Do you think you could cover for me for a couple of hours while I go to the appointment?? There's also a listing here in Tacoma that sounds promising."

"As for Jeremiah's place I would not be surprised if that happened." Andie shakes his head. "People always want you to prove to them you're good enough before they'll trust you enough to do business with you. However, I would appreciate it if would give him a call anyway and see if he is interested??"

Andie finishes his dinner, throws the trash away and comments. "Well, I have to check on the circulation for a while before I can go to sleep yet tonight. I'll see you in the morning." He then proceeds to the back of the shop and checks the circulation's progress.
Sedna
OOC: removed for continuity
Sedna

"I said I would," says Sara, a bit of an edge creeping into her voice. "And what time did you say for your appointment?" When Andie tells her on his way to the back of the shop, she expels a breath. "That'll work, then ... this time. But, Andie," and the tone of her voice pulls away his attention from the circulation, "next time you go making appointments around my 'free' time, clear them with me first? Seeing as this is supposed to be your circulation, I think my outside obligations take priority."
Sedna
OOC: removed for continuity
banditf50
1112 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Dammit Dragon, what do was going through your mind when you recruited this women?

Virgil agreed that cultivating a contact with connections like those of a reporter would be invaluable for tracking down Julia, but the key word was cultivate a 'contact'. Dragon is taking a gamble with our security that I am not comfortable with in the least.

In life their exists a scale by which certain professions are judged for honesty, reporters (espically those desperate to become succesfull) are only slightly more honest than defenst attorneys. Dragon brought her into the fold as an equal teammate and that is simply not appropriate after knowing her for one day. No fragging way am I ending up as tommorow's big story.

banditf50
1112 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Virgil wasn't really pissed at the situation, just playing a more cautious role. He always had total faith in Dragon's judgement, they'd been through quite a bit together, but to Virgil the emotional factor coming out between Dragon and Tiffany was a little worriesome.

"First off, Galina just called. The fire victim is awake and able to talk now. We can visit the clinic after we leave here and see who exactly we pulled out of that rubble"

Dragon replied, "Good. With any luck we'll find out if the arson job on that building had anything to do with Julia. Maybe even net us a few leads to follow-up."

"I have to say Dragon I'm more than a bit nervous about how fast you've brought this Tiffany into our fold. She seems very competent to me, however I viewed her role to be a contact . . .to me that is the option that puts our perseonal sercurity at the least amount of risk. I have always trusted your judgement, but you've known her for no more than 24 hours and no matter what kind of background check you've done, it won't tell us how likely she is to be a security breach if a lucrative oppurtunity presents itself."

"One thing we should not do is bring her to the clinic with us. The women we took their is probably on somebody's hit list and we cannot afford taking a risk on security. Given that we do not even know all of the players in the mission we're on now I believe we should keep Tiffany at a safe distance from us until we both can be reasonably sure that she is a sound investment."

Pausing for a second because he hated sounding like he was lecturing, Virgil moved on. "I just wanted to provide a voice of reason here and will leave the situation in your hands now. Moving on to aiding Sybersnake I agree that is a high priority, but unless the details of her run are particulary favorable we probably do not have time to complete the buisness with her as I am sure we are on a limited time-line right now. I'm voting that we do out best to throw the heat off of her tail right now so that she can lay low."

"What is your assesment of the situation as it stands Dragon?"
WinterRat1
1113 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Nodding at Virgil's assessment of the situation, Dragon replied, "You're right, I can see how she'd make you nervous. Frankly, I'm more inclined to think she won't sell us out simply because she needs more than one break to get her where she wants to go, and screwing us isn't going to help that. But I follow you're thinking, and I'm ok with making her prove her trustworthiness. Of course, we have to make sure she doesn't think we're just using her as well. So what would you suggest we have her do for now?"

A quick glance at the girls revealed they hadn't tried to kill each other yet, and were even being civil. Thankfully. Turning back to Virgil, he continued, "I don't see how we can not finish Sybersnake's run and still help her. This isn't some piddling little corp we're talking about here, this is S-K, this is Lofwyr we're talking about, and if they want a piece of her, no matter how low we help her lay, eventually, they're going to run her to ground and get her. Right now she doesn't even have her deck, her main marketable resource, to help her out. If you've got any ideas as to how we can get her out without finishing the run, I'm all for it, but frankly, I don't see how we can."

Virgil holds up his hands placatingly. "Relax man, I'm on your side, and her side. I've been there for her before in the clutch too, remember? I'm just saying that we're on a tight timetable, and with all the stuff we've got going, this is definitely not coming at the best of times. Juggling all the ops we've got going right now will be tricky, to say the least. Juggling all the ops and not getting geeked by any and all comers who may or may not be in the picture right now, especially if Saeder-Krupp decides to join the mix, will be even harder. You scan?"

Taking a deep breath, Dragon answers, "Yeah, yeah I know. We do have a lot going on, and things just got a lot trickier. I'm just...I'm just worried, you know? Things are confusing personally too, and I don't need or want to have to worry about her getting geeked in the midst of all that. So what do you want to do about going to the clinic then?

Snickering, Virgil couldn't resist a little dig. "Hey look at it this way. If she gets geeked, your decision just got a whole lot easier. Unless of course, you're into the whole necrophilia thing."

With mock anger, Dragon wound up to clock the smart-hooped mage, when all of the sudden, the smoke detectors went off.

Immediately sobering up the two of them shared a look of suspicion, and began looking around for any immediate threats, one reaching for a gun, the other readying a spell. Not that they expected any trouble, mind you. But just in case...you know?

Sedna
1114 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

And then the sprinklers go off. Subdued consternation from behind the kitchen doors. Small shrieks from the various customers, trying to shield themselves and their food and sometimes their briefcases or knapsacks from the unexpected indoor rain as they flee for the main door. Sybersnake is one of those trying to shield the deck-sized pack she'd brought in with her and shrug into her jacket at the same time. Her indoor blouse seems to be one of those that goes transparent when it gets wet. She's scanning around for another exit.

Tiffany's pulled out a pair of tortoiseshell glasses from her blazer pocket and wiped them off, then stuck them on her nose before pulling out the wristcam out of her huge, bulky handbag -- what all's she got in there, a brick? -- and moves it, almost imperceptibly, to just barely above the table rim, pointing away from where the restrooms are. A soaked lock of hair bobs across her nose.

One of the sprinklers is right over top of Dragon and Virgil. They stare for a moment at each other ...
banditf50
1114 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

"Oh, wonderful." Virgil allows the sarcasam to drip from his voice as a few icy drips of water began to snake down the back of his neck. Flipping up the collar of his long coat in a vain effort to keep water from going down his back, Virgil turns to assess the scene in the restaraunt. Tommy Wong's always drew a good-sized lunch crowd so a small pandemonium had broke out with people going for the doors, some stopping to throw jackets over their heads. He could see that Sybersnake and Tiffany were not pleased and had started towards the door at the back of the pack.

Well, if I were them I wouldn't wait for instructions to leave a building when a fire-alarms goes off.

Turning to Dragon again Virgil instructs, "Can you corral are two companions and head towards the car? Just move your car a two blocks down the road so that if the SFD responds we won't be blocked in. I'll join you in a moment." Nodding his head Dragon complies, It doesn't take much encouragement to ask me to leave a fragging mess like this.

Curiousity got ahold of Virgil because he did not smell any smoke yet. Turning his attention to the nearby kithcen doors Virgil moves over to them and pokes his head into the kitchen. This is my favorite restaraunt, I have to at least check things out . . .
Sedna
1115 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Much rapid-fire Cantonese shot back and forth in the kitchens, as various staff members are quickly covering woks and loose food and someone skids on the tiles with a tray of dishes, just barely manages to get them onto the counter before he loses his balance entirely, dropping his cigarette and grabbing at the counter just as his feet go out from under him. Virgil winces in empathy: wrenched shoulder for sure.

One person's heading up front, the orders suggest that he's about to deal with the customers and any incoming firefighting personnel. Two people have grabbed fire extinguishers. Tommy Wong's one of those places which doesn't have an electronic panel showing the exact location of the alarm, so they're searching. It's obvious that if it had been something involving the open-flame stove, it would have been long drenched into extinction by now.
WinterRat1
1115 January 6, 2063 - Tommy Wong's

Dragon's acute senses and quick mind immediately pick up on Virgil's rationale for heading into the kitchen. No smoke, no fire...that isn't right...what's that saying, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you?

Keeping one hand close to one of his Savalette Guardians in its holster, he hustles over to Sybersnake and Tiffany. "Ladies. I'm thinking it's best if we don't walk out the front door. We're going out the back way. Oh and Syber, you armed? Just in case, you know."

The Latina decker nods, and a stray thought passes through Dragon's mind. God she's hot when she's wet...and that blouse...talk about a situation having positive fringe benefits, if nothing else...focus focus focus...take care of biz first. Oh well, enjoyable observation aside...

"All right then, let's go. Virgil's checking out the kitchen. It could be nothing, but it never hurts to be prepared." Heading for the back door, he also starts flipping through the radio waves, scanning for Fire, Police, and Paramedic dispatch updates. Never hurts to be aware of who might be showing up. Let's just see who's gonna be here, and when...

Arriving at the back door, he draws a Guardian with his left hand and cautiously pushes the door open with his right, scanning up and down the alley, as well as the rooftops above for anything funny...
Sedna
1115 January 6, 2063 - the back alley behind Tommy Wong's

You can always tell a popular shadowrunner locale because it will have a back door ... and a kitchen entrance ... and maybe one or two besides.

Sharp sting of tobacco smoke -- and other of the not so legit cigarette variety -- and then Dragon was clear of the back doorway, just ahead of Sybersnake, already loosening her own concealed pistol in its holster with her free hand even as he spoke, with Tiffany bringing up the rear. He'd temporarily lost sight of Virgil. The part of him that wasn't scanning for possible threats or appreciating fringe benefits noted that although the reporter hadn't stopped filming since she pulled out the camcorder, never once had she pointed it in either his or Sybersnake's direction.

The low roof overhangs added to the smells in the back alleys of this part of the city to remind him a little of other places, an ocean and a lifetime away; even as the cold tactical observation noted that the overhangs would make it extremely difficult for any attack to come at them from above. Useful, that. He'd have to lose the cover if he was going to get to the car, but it would get them most of the way, and maybe that would be far enough if it did turn out not to be nothing after all.

The standard emergency support frequencies weren't being much help: a fire truck called out here on the alarm, nothing else.
banditf50
1116 January 6, 2063 - Kitchen of Tommy Wong's

Damn I wish I could speak the language. Standing right inside the kitchen door Virgil could've been invisible for as much notice as he recieved from the workers running around trying to figure out what the frag was going on. To Virgil each worker looked about as bewildered as he was. If the fire had started in the dining room then there would be no mystery and an open fire kitchen seemed the most likely culprit. However this did not seem to be the case. Judging by the size of the kitchen Virgil guessed that their couldn't be many other places for a fire to start. A small corridor at the back of the kitchen probably led to storage, a freezer, maybe the manager's office, but the workers would've found the fire if it had occured their . . . wouldn't they.

Still bewildered Virgil walked out the kithcen door and back into the hallway where he and Dragon had been taking. On the opposite wall of the narrow corridor were a pair of doors for men's and women's restrooms, between those doors an older model pay-telecom hung. The corridor was wallpapered with a bamboo print that was fading and beginning to peel in places, although the appearence was not nearly as worn as establishments farther south in Redmond. Hearing the sirens in the distance and seeing the crowd formed outside of the restaruant Virgil decided that his curiosity about the 'fire' would be considered saited for now . . . and then it hit him.

Unless it's a distraction! That be a great way to wait for a target, watch them stream out of the building. Dammit . . Sybersnake was being tracked before, mayber her 'friends' have caught up with her. A thousand possibilites whirling threw his head Virgil began some quick stategy.

Dragon would've wanted to avoid the crowd even if he wasn't worried about hostiles. Turning his gaze the other direction Virgil's eyes fell upon an dinged up steel door at the opposite end of the hallway from the dining room. The door to the alley, that has to be the way that Dragon went. Either way it is the best path for my exit right now.

Pushing through the door and stepping out into the alley Virgil stopped for a second to survey the scene . . .
WinterRat1
1117 January 6, 2063 - Kitchen of Tommy Wong's

And runs smack in Dragon, who was surveying the scene. "Thought the same thing I did, didn't you? Distraction? Ambush? We just might get jumped? Maybe you should whistle up one of those spirits to cover us, just in case there's something nasty waiting for us? Then we can get rolling."
banditf50
1117 January 6, 2063 - Alley behind Tommy Wong's

It was a comforting thought knowing that he had predicted the direction that Dragon took out of Tommy Wong's. Though Virgil realized that both him and Dragon were just beginning what would surely be a period of myriad tribulations he was glad that Tyr had granted him an ally who's thought process under stress complimented his own.

Nodding his agreement to Dragon's suggestion Virgil closed his eyes and turned his thoughts away from the whine of the fire alarm and the closing sirens, away from the senses of the mundane, drifting to play upon the walls of the alley. Virgil had grown up in Redmond and it was the place that he returned to after spending several years away from, it was his home. In his mind he felt that this connection allowed him to speaker with greater empathy to the spirits that also called the barrens home. It was with this empathy that he called out to the streets for aid once again.

Here my plea watchers of man, come to my aid once again . . .not as a servant, but as an ally.

The aura of the ground beneath Virgil's feet seemed to bulge with is words and then released a small ball of energy that drifted up to eye-level. Greetings friend. Virgil took brief moment to admire the spirit as he always admired the beings who thrived on pure mana before snapping his senses back to the physical world and turning his attention to Dragon.

"We have help now, hopefully we will not need to call upon it. Why don't you asses the situation outside of the alley and lead us to the car. I'll take up the rear and provide any needed cover. . . ."

Dragon nodded in approval and moved towards the mouth of the alley, Tiffany and Sybersnake followed with Virgil taking the rear. Dragon quickly ran through things in his head as he looked out into the scence unfolding on the streets. Not much time to make a move here before we get boxed in for a while.

SentineloftheMountain
"Sara, you know that I will pay you back for the favor. Never fear. And I'm always around if you need help with something.", Andie replies.

He walks to the back of the shop and checks on the circulation for the rest of the night; taking notes and measuring the purity of the circulation contents so far.

It's seem to be going well...We'll see in a few more days how the progress is really going....
Sedna
1119 January 6, 2063 - Alley behind Tommy Wong's

At the mouth of the alley where it opened into the much wider street -- into the open -- Dragon could see the last of the people not so much pouring as trickling out from the restaurant. Certainly not panicked, more annoyed at the unscheduled interruption to their day, and more than a few rather drenched. Added to the ongoing emergency radio dispatch -- mostly ETA updates -- came the sound of approaching sirens. Standard procedure would have this block cordoned off within a minute of their arrival.
WinterRat1

Turning to Virgil, he asks, "You got that spirit of yours summoned yet?" At the shaman's affirmative nod, Dragon continues, "We'll just have to trust it to hide us then once we're out in the open. The cops will cordon off the area in another minute, so we have to roll. Tell it to conceal us or hide us or whatever the heck it does, and let's get out of here to the car."
banditf50

Hide our passage from prying eyes. Virgil reaches out with his mind to instruct the city spirit to materialize so that it can use it's concealment power on him and his three companions. The paper littering the alley begins to swirl around the group's feet as the spirit gathers mana around them. Thinking back to his recent ambush by the rouge fire elemental Virgil switches his senses to the astral plane. We have enough eyes watching the physical plane, also good to keep learning from my mistakes . . . live an learn, die and forget . . .who was it that said that?

A second later Virgil indicates his readiness to Dragon, who steps out of the alley and begins leading the group on a quick dart across the street and towards the car. Just a bit further and we're gone . . .
Sedna

Not as powerfully as yesterday, but once again that deep sense of belonging which so often goes along with a nature spirit's concealment, that utter sense of fitting into a place so well that other eyes slide over the small cone of whirling papers, taking what they might have seen for only a bit of debris vortexed against the side of the building, another part of the environment. Virgil's caught up in it, his astral senses keenly alert for anything out of step; but even Dragon can feel it as he cautiously steps out of the alley, the familiar half-awareness of having merged into one's surroundings and become part of them. Sybersnake's only a little behind him, a slight lag distance to allow an approximation of point position. Tiffany's almost directly behind her, her camera steady in her hand. Virgil's covering their backs.

The street's clear, not of people obviously, but at least of the kinds of things Dragon's most immediately concerned about, and at least for now of official vehicles as well. That wouldn't last. He's still uneasy, but that could as easily be due to having to step out into the open, or to the entire situation. He's at the edge of the street now, soon to be committed to a quick dash, and the uneasy feeling isn't going away any. A quick thought of using the restaurant crowd for cover, dismissed almost as quickly: simultaneously too far away and too close, milling about in the wrong direction, absolutely no cover from all the relevant directions. No, it's step out and move quickly and hope the concealment works and that there's nothing it has to work against anyway.

He moves. At his wave Sybersnake follows, with Tiffany ready to go behind her.

From behind them Virgil gasps a short warning: "Spirit!". Dragon half-turns and then stumbles as the ground beneath him shrugs -- and in that split second he reacts without thinking to pull Sybersnake down. Maybe there was a glint of light off metal. Maybe it was just pure instinct. But together with the blur of the concealment, the move was almost enough to get her clear of the bullet that splashed through her pack and her shoulder and part of her leg and shattered the brick of the wall behind them into bloody shrapnel. Without it, Dragon knew for absolute certainty that she wouldn't have had a chance.

Only then does the soft cough of the rifle reach them, almost lost amid the sounds of the crowd and the approaching sirens. A true sniper weapon, held in readiness for an opportunity -- but now it would be some time in reloading and re-aiming.

Virgil can see it all: just in front of him Tiffany starting to pick herself up, absolutely coated with brick dust and maybe a bit dazed but otherwise seemingly unhurt; a seriously-cybered man who'd been moving with the crowd to get away but who'd reacted with sharp surprise and frustration at the sound of the rifle and suddenly didn't fit; the ground beneath Dragon's and Sybersnake's feet beginning to shudder apart and drag them into it ...

What Virgil can't see is where that rifle is planted, although he, like Dragon, can make a good guess as to its direction. But at least he's got the mage spotted now: another one who'd been trying to get away and was caught by surprise by the sudden turn of events. So that means the spirit can't be working on immediate orders, it must have been holding off on a different order. Maybe I can use that. He's pretty sure the man hasn't spotted him yet.
SentineloftheMountain
1100 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie continues to check on the circulation and it's progress.

We'll have to increase the temperature soon to enlongate the strata of the alloy to give it more flexability and strength. If this doesn't happen then the alloy will be hard to work with later on, Andie thinks to himself.

He finds Sara within the shop and lets her know he is going to meet with the realty agent downtown. He then takes public transportation to the meeting.
Sedna
1150 January 8, 2063 - the prospective place downtown

Well, it was big. No question there. Big and concrete-smelling and empty.

"And as you can see," the plaid-suitted real estate agent was continuing, "not only is the entire place pre-wired, but the plumbing in this building is quite extensive."

Andie could see. The exposed copper pipes were running everywhere.

"It's all nicely subdivided too. So you could have your major industrial water intake, or a central shower room, or a whole bunch of small washrooms. Heck, even a Starbucks, if you wanted to tuck one away in the corner. Nothing more water-intensive than that, coming in and going out!" He laughed at his own joke. "Though of course you'd have to talk to the zoning people if you wanted to do more than a single business under this roof. Single business industrial, it's currently."

"I thought this area was retail?" asked Andie.

"It is, most of it. Just this building and a couple of others have been rezoned by the previous lessors, back when they installed the rooftop water tank. Shouldn't be too much of a problem getting it zoned back, not if you grease the right palms, hey?"

Between the loud suit and the matching, echoing voice, Andie was starting to get a headache. He leaned against one of the teloposts, and was promptly informed that they were "solid, load-bearing pillars, earthquake-tested to Geiger 6. Just as well, in a post Ghost Dance world, you get what I'm saying?" He emphasised it with a dig into Andie's ribs. Andie winced and turned away, trying hard to envision walls, a dropped ceiling concealing some of the piping, the brazier would require its own air intake --

"With imagination, there's no telling what you couldn't put in here."

You'd need a whole lot of imagination to do something with a place like this.

The real estate guy had it in spades. "Why, there's space enough in these roughed-out storage areas to hide a whole slew of skeletons!"

Thanks.

He paced the length of it, the width, glanced up at the catwalks above and tried to work them into the loose concept. It could work, maybe: but there'd be a lot of work to do first. Still, if he dressed out the concrete in this small section first, he could maybe get a circulation going here at least, pay for the rest of the upgrades that way. Sara had offered to buy some of his future orichalcum at 66 k nuyen.gif , but she'd already warned she didn't have enough use for it to stock up on more than ten or so units, not this year and maybe not next. After that, he'd be completely on his own, with no guarantee whatsoever of future customers.

He stared at the iron floor-to-ceiling ladders, noted how the plumbing elbowed and -- hmm, useful place for a valve, maybe I could turn the hydroponics into something more vertical? Some of those plants were originally climbing vines ... And that part: nice and flat, big enough to enscribe a good-sized permanent conjuring circle, maybe even more than one. His own apartment had always been so cramped for that kind of thing. Maybe now I'll finally be able to conjure something a bit more reasonable.

The floor was bone-dry. That was something. Actually, in Seattle, that was a lot of something. He'd skimmed far too many places where the sump pumps had failed. Whatever else, this building had reasonably good drainage.

And yes: that part could be partitioned off into a bit of a social area, coffee, comfortable couches, magazines, wood panelling? Fireplace ... maybe. The air exhausts looked to be adequate, but the smoke would need to be appropriately channelled.

It would take work, but it could be doable.

Still, maybe he'd check out Jeremiah's place as well, just in case?
SentineloftheMountain
1300 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop
Andie returns to the magic shop from his meeting with the real estate agent with a lot on his mind.

He checks in with Sara to let her know he was back. "Well, the meeting was interesting. The place needs a lot of work, but it could happen. Did you happen to have a chance to call Jeremiah about his place?"

After talking with Sara for a while he checks the circulation's progress at this point. Everything looks OK.

He settles down for the rest of the afternoon in the back of the shop with the furnace and chemistry set; monitoring, testing, and stirring as needed.
banditf50
1119 January 6, 2063 - Street Outside of Tommy Wong's

Seizing what he saw as a valuable tactical advantage Virgil pulled mana around him and shaped it into a powerful blast. I may only get one spell off before I have that elemental turns his attention this way, and Dragon has enough to worry about without enemy magic raining down on him. Gathering the needed energy took only a moment in realtime and with the enemy mage squarely in his line of sight Virgil send the blast screaming towards him.
WinterRat1

Feeling the ground shudder beneath him, Dragon's mind screamed, ELEMENTAL!!! Earth, most likely. Risking a quick glance at Sybersnake, he wasn't sure if she could handle it. Drek! gotta get her out of here. I don't think she can take it in here getting engulfed like that.

Without looking at Tiffany, he yelled, "Get across the street quick!" That should give her some cover from the sniper. Gotta get Syber out of here before that sammy comes into play. Putting thought into action, he grabbed a hold of the injured decker and yanked, trying desperately to free her from the elemental's grasp.
Sedna

And with his last strength -- and more he didn't know he had -- Dragon gets Sybersnake free ... just. She's clear now, for the moment, but she's injured and dazed: and she's still clutching her pack.

Hearing him, Tiffany bolts into the open to seize her arm and pull her to shelter. It's an awkward moment, tears of pain shoot into Sybersnake's eyes even through the shock and the pack almost slips from her fingers before the reporter manages to adjust to support her around her ribcage and under her other arm, hooking in the pack, and half-pull, half-drag her to the safety of the overhanging roofs on the other side of the street. Dragon hadn't thought to say anything else, but she must have noticed how that bullet came in as well. Once in sniper cover on the other side -- through the soft swirls of mana Virgil absently notes that the spirit is still helping to conceal them -- she lets Sybersnake slump to the ground behind her and is fishing for something out of her bag.

Virgil releases his spell. It shudders through him with a sense of sheer ... power, what else could you really call it? Tingling, burning, ripping through his nervous system -- and hooking itself deeply into the core of the other magician.

The casual chatting of the crowd seemed terribly loud.

Then smoke began to drift from the mage's eyes, and then his open mouth, his fingernails. In the last moment before he slumped to the ground, the raw power escaped his body as a blinding light suddenly streamed from his eyes and mouth and began to consume him from within.

In the sudden silence against the distant sirens, Virgil had a horrible moment of time to see Dragon disappear into the street, and to realise, oh Tyr, it's uncontrolled ...
banditf50

The endorphin high brought on by the power of the spell crackling through his body waned shaply as Virgil turned his attention back to assesing the progress of the battle. He'd known when he first decided to engage the mage that the possibility of the elemental becoming uncontrolled was very real, but the threat of an enemy mage was much to dire to pass up a golden tactical oppurtunity.

A warrior must adapt and evolve. Carry out each action while adusting his tactics to the ebb and flow of the battle. Such is the wisdom of Tyr.

Looking past the scence of Dragon struggling against engulfement by the elemental Virgil noticed that Tiffany had instantly responded to Sybersnake being freed from the sinking street. Virgil had been worried that she might be wrought with panic in the chaos of the situation, but whatever fear she might've felt, her actions were with a cool resolve.

Excellent, that should get them out of immediate sniper danger for the moment. Perhaps I was too quick in questioning her character.

The panicked screams coming from in front of the restaruant caused Virgil to turn his attention to the frightened mob of people. If the elemental's destruction of the street hadn't scared them enough, the sudden collapse of the dead mage was certainly enough to push them over the edge of rationality. If that elemental doesn't decide to trapse back to the metaplanes this entire street is in serious danger.

Virgil did not see any immediate way for them to escape unless the elemental was delt with. Although even if a way presented himself there was no way that he could abandon the scene and let the elemental have it's way with the panicked crowd. Grant me strength Tyr. The strength to follow in your image..

SentineloftheMountain
QUOTE (Sedna @ Nov 2 2004, 12:33 PM)
1150 January 8, 2063 - the prospective place downtown

Well, it was big.  No question there.  Big and concrete-smelling and empty.

"And as you can see," the plaid-suitted real estate agent was continuing, "not only is the entire place pre-wired, but the plumbing in this building is quite extensive."

Andie could see.  The exposed copper pipes were running everywhere.

"It's all nicely subdivided too.  So you could have your major industrial water intake, or a central shower room, or a whole bunch of small washrooms.  Heck, even a Starbucks, if you wanted to tuck one away in the corner.  Nothing more water-intensive than that, coming in and going out!"  He laughed at his own joke.  "Though of course you'd have to talk to the zoning people if you wanted to do more than a single business under this roof.  Single business industrial, it's currently."

"It is, most of it.  Just this building and a couple of others have been rezoned by the previous lessors, back when they installed the rooftop water tank.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem getting it zoned back, not if you grease the right palms, hey?"

Between the loud suit and the matching, echoing voice, Andie was starting to get a headache.  He leaned against one of the teloposts, and was promptly informed that they were "solid, load-bearing pillars, earthquake-tested to Geiger 6.  Just as well, in a post Ghost Dance world, you get what I'm saying?"  He emphasised it with a dig into Andie's ribs.  Andie winced and turned away, trying hard to envision walls, a dropped ceiling concealing some of the piping, the brazier would require its own air intake --

"With imagination, there's no telling what you couldn't put in here."

You'd need a whole lot of imagination to do something with a place like this.

The real estate guy had it in spades.  "Why, there's space enough in these roughed-out storage areas to hide a whole slew of skeletons!"

Thanks.

He paced the length of it, the width, glanced up at the catwalks above and tried to work them into the loose concept.  It could work, maybe: but there'd be a lot of work to do first.  Still, if he dressed out the concrete in this small section first, he could maybe get a circulation going here at least, pay for the rest of the upgrades that way.  Sara had offered to buy some of his future orichalcum at 66 k nuyen.gif  , but she'd already warned she didn't have enough use for it to stock up on more than ten or so units, not this year and maybe not next.  After that, he'd be completely on his own, with no guarantee whatsoever of future customers.

He stared at the iron floor-to-ceiling ladders, noted how the plumbing elbowed and -- hmm, useful place for a valve, maybe I could turn the hydroponics into something more vertical?  Some of those plants were originally climbing vines ...  And that part: nice and flat, big enough to enscribe a good-sized permanent conjuring circle, maybe even more than one.  His own apartment had always been so cramped for that kind of thing.  Maybe now I'll finally be able to conjure something a bit more reasonable.

The floor was bone-dry.  That was something.  Actually, in Seattle, that was a lot of something.  He'd skimmed far too many places where the sump pumps had failed.  Whatever else, this building had reasonably good drainage.

And yes: that part could be partitioned off into a bit of a social area, coffee, comfortable couches, magazines, wood panelling?  Fireplace ... maybe.  The air exhausts looked to be adequate, but the smoke would need to be appropriately channelled.

It would take work, but it could be doable.

Still, maybe he'd check out Jeremiah's place as well, just in case?

1210 January 8, 2063 - the prospective place downtown

Andie walks around the vacant room, examining the construction of the building; listening to the agent rattle on. "I don't know. This place will need a lot of work. I assume that there will be provisions in the lease agreement to allow me permission to do construction in here to suit my needs? Do you also have some recommendations for construction companies for any renovation work?"

Andie hears about the zoning issue of the building and shakes his head is disgust. "So, this is not a retail zone for the building. That is disappointing. It would probably take quite an effort to get that changed down at city hall."

He continues to walk around the space, examining the details of the place. "Are there any other companies or neighbors in this building and if so how well do they treat each other?"

Andie weighs the pros and cons of this location and finally asks for the bad news. "So, what is your asking monthly rent for this place??"

Andie listens to the agent's price and says, "Hmm....Well, I have your number. Let me think over the offer and I'll let you know in a few days. Will that be satisfactory?"
Sedna
OOC: Plugging holes and a couple of answers to questions which is why, this once (and hopefully never again), the quote structure: more detail in the OOC thread. [/OOC]

1210 January 8, 2063 - the prospective place downtown
"I assume that there will be provisions in the lease agreement to allow me permission to do construction in here to suit my needs?"

"Lease provisions? Anything you do to the inside that doesn't touch the basic structure is copecetic. Hell, put in a parking lot or a tree if you want. Anything you do within the property parameters goes, so long as it meets codes and is legal. Capische?"
"Do you also have some recommendations for construction companies for any renovation work?"

"Hey, I know a guy who knows a guy. Don' worry about it! You got the dough, he'll get the work done all fair and square."

"It is, most of it.  Just this building and a couple of others have been rezoned by the previous lessors, back when they installed the rooftop water tank.  Shouldn't be too much of a problem getting it zoned back, not if you grease the right palms, hey?"

Andie hears about the zoning issue of the building and shakes his head is disgust. "So, this is not a retail zone for the building. That is disappointing. It would probably take quite an effort to get that changed down at city hall."

"Like I said, shouldn't be a huge problem if you know who to talk to, but if it's something you want to get done and if you're serious about signing, I can get someone to take care of it for you. Call it a service fee. I'll just add it to the lease papers."
"Are there any other companies or neighbors in this building and if so how well do they treat each other?"

"Nope. This thing is stand-alone. That's the beauty of it!"
"So, what is your asking monthly rent for this place??"

"Well, it's a huge amount of space to come available right downtown, premium area, with nice general accessibility. Newly insulated. And it's all pre-wired and pre-plumbed, with its own water tank and generator so you're not at the complete mercy of city utilities." The real estate agent chuckles, then quickly becomes serious again. "This kind of property doesn't come cheap. First and last month is standard, and of course the service charges I've noted, if you want that kind of rezoning work taken care of.
Andie listens to the agent's price and says, "Hmm....Well, I have your number. Let me think over the offer and I'll let you know in a few days. Will that be satisfactory?"
Sedna

And then Dragon managed to claw his way out, coughing, dirt shaking from every part of him, caked into his hair, under his eyelids, somehow gotten beneath his clothes: but he was free. The rest could wait.

The street rose up in front of him. It took no astral vision to see that. Someone in the crowd screamed again. In a moment it would plunge down again upon Dragon. No, not upon him; its attention had never been on him, not completely. It was looking -- if "looking" could be said to be the word -- straight at Sybersnake. The curve of its overhanging body shifted, moved slightly toward the two women.

A visible tremour ran through it, through the ground. The earth shrugged under Virgil's feet, causing him to stagger a little. A few people in the crowd fell down.

Its attention shifted again, this time straight at Virgil. Then it plunged into the earth -- and vanished.
banditf50
1119 January 6, 2063 - Street Outside if Tommy Wong's

Virgil's got a sick feeling in his stomach as he watched the earthen beast turn it's attention towards the area where Tiffany and Sybersnake had taken cover across the street. While he couldn't not realy trace the "gaze" of the elemental, Virgil knew that it's attention was sighted only on Sybersnake. It was crystal clear that this hit team was here for her, the elemental had probably been commanded to ambush her and Dragon just happened to be close enough to bear some of the brunt of the elemental's engulf attack.
Knowing that there was no way the two women would be able to mount a defense against the magical creation Virgil felt mixed sensation of relief and dread when the beast turned it's lifeless glare onto to him.

This elemental is pretty strong, it has to know that I am the one that killed it's summoner. It also has to know that if it chooses to stay on this plane that I am the only being present that poses a signifigant threat to it.

The milliseconds ticked by in an agonizing eternity as Virgil prepared to mount a defense against the onslaught he was sure was coming any instant. And then as soon as the gaze began, the elemental broke off and retreated from Virgil's astral vision. Franticaly scanning the astral plane for the burning signiture of the elemental beast Virgil hoped beyond hope that it had just decided to return to it's home plane. By Tyr we could use a stroke of favor at this moment.

Feeling the adrenaline causing a slight tremor in his hands all Virgil could do was watch, and wait.
SentineloftheMountain
1215 January 8, 2063 - the prospective place downtown

"I am interested in the property", Andie says sincerely to the agent. "I currently have about 9,000 nuyen for the down payment now with more available to me at the end of the month if that is acceptable." Andie gauges the agent's reaction at this point.

"And I would be interested in your help with changing the zoning of the building and the construction help from your friend, assume they are reliable.

Do you think we can reach an agreement on this??"
WinterRat1

Gasping for air, Dragon pulled himself out of the ground. I swear to God, I hate getting engulfed! Fragging drek eating son-of-a-slitch! I did my part keeping its attention occupied at least. Virgil better be ready to fry its hoop when it comes back.

Looking around, he saw the earth elemental look at Sybersnake and Tiffany , then Virgil . Then it vanished. Frag! Where did it go? Glancing back at the crowd, Dragon’s gaze locked in on the cyberguy, apparently still caught off guard by the rapid turn of events. Well screw the elemental, he’s Virgil’s problem now. I better take care of this bad boy before he gets a chance to come into play. For that matter, I better take my own advice and get clear of the sniper too.

Walking across the street and leveling the Savalette Guardian in his hands in the appropriate two-handed Weaver grip, Dragon let the crosshairs in his eye fix themselves in on his target. The red crosshairs from his smartlink linked the gun to his body, helping him hone in on the target, while the rangefinder in his eyes marked off the range. As he moved across the street toward cover, towards the sniper and inside his firing zone, he locked in on the razorboy and fired off a pair of rounds.
SentineloftheMountain
1330 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

After adding a little magical energy into the circulation and monitoring its saturation into the mix Andie continues to monitor its progress.

Nothing left to do for the moment but to sit back and watch.

Andie finds the telephone and calls Jack Soloman. "Hi Jack. It's Andie. How are you doing? Say, I need a favor. Can do a background check on a piece of property for me downtown? Past tenants, real estate taxes, the real estate agent's rep, current zoning, etc.

I'm thinking of buying the property, but the deal seems too good to be true. Think you could help me out?"

WinterRat1

Dragon grinned to himself as both rounds landed right on target, hitting the samurai square in the chest. Bingo! Body armor or not, that should put him down for the count! His grin quickly faded as the samurai didn’t move. Didn’t step back, didn’t fall down, didn’t flinch, didn’t move. The only sign that he was even hurt was a grimace that was almost a flinch, but not quite. Blood did seep from the holes that the bullets punched into him, but other than those two facts, if he wasn’t damn sure he’d hit the bastard, Dragon wouldn’t have thought he’d done any damage what-so-fragging-ever.

Son of a slitch! Are you fragging kidding me? Those shots would’ve dropped, should’ve dropped, most people! Drek. Clearly this fragger is gonna take a little more effort to put down than I thought. One thing’s for sure, these guys sure aren’t the junior varsity. But aw hell, what the frag did I expect, tangling with S-K and all? It just isn’t my week, I fragging tell you…
Sedna
1335 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Oh, I think I might be able to do something there," says Jack Solomon, a tinge of dry amusement in his voice. Andie had no viewscreen on his wristphone, but he could almost picture the other polishing his spectacles, as he had on that single previous occasion when Sara had introduced him to the fixer. "This is for that shop you want to open?" It was only half a question. The first time he'd been introduced, Andie had had the feeling that there were few secrets between his teacher and the fixer, and this seemed to be another confirmation of it. "How long did they give you before finalising the deal, the usual 48 hours? Do you have a copy of the agreement? Yes? Can you fax it over?

"Oh," and the voice now sounded almost embarrassed, "I know we have never talked about this before, but there is the question of a fee. Balance in all things, you understand. So since this is a first negotiation, why don't you begin by telling me what you would consider fair for such detailed research, and we will go from there?"

Now the other was aware of him, already moving toward him, and Dragon had to think quickly what to do next. Tough as nails, obviously. Almost certainly some cyber under that coat, or else ...

Never mind the "or else". I've got to keep thinking that he's just another soldier like me, or else I'm fragged before I begin. Let's start with being grateful that at least he's not a troll. For sure I can get off another couple of shots before he gets here, but I'm not sure anymore if they'll do much good, not unless I really nail him somewhere sensitive. Can I take him down quickly? Can I at least keep him busy until Virgil's recovered a bit from that spell? There can't be that much time left before the sirens get here ...
paul_HArkonen
1349 January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

As Blaze aproached the building, he could pick out who belonged and who did not. The few people who stood out were those who were dressed like him, bright colors and Tres Chic dress. Kaveman Kate's was a fine establishment, but it wasn't a bright flashy club, it was a sports bar.

Walking in through the large front doors Blaze gains an almost double take from the few people in the bar. Walking towards the bar he nods towards a few of the people staring at his bright red coat.

Right at 3:00 Max walks through the door. Max was a well built tall human. His face had three scars across the front of it, each from a different run gone south. Now through with his years of running the shadows Max sets up runs for various people, and is the father figure in Blaze's life.

Max imediately spots Blaze and heads over to him. Standing from his seat Blaze gives him a hug, just like the son he feels like he is.
"Hey Max, it's been a long time since we actually did the face to face thing. How've you been."
"It sure has kid, I've been alright, doing this, doing that, running my bussiness. What's up, you sounded like something was bothering you over the phone."
"Well, I've been trying to figure out what to do about this for the past few days, and I've decided to talk to you about it. I've found some of my family, my aunt and my cousin. I found out when my aunt contacted me about trying to help my cousin. And I know she's on the level, she knew me by a name I haven't used in a long time."
"That's great, so why are you down about it?"
"The problem is my Cousin was aparently picked up by an extraction team, and I don't even know who the employer was. This all happened about two weeks ago. I'm currently earning some money, about 30 K I hope, but I'm not sure that will be enough to hire a team to track her down.
"And even if it is, I don't know what I'm going to do with her after I find her, whether I'm going to give up my crusade, and likely leopard's gifts, or ask her to join me, or what."
"No, don't give up, not until you find and punish the people who left you homeless, and unless she asks about it don't offer for her to join you. The best thing, kid, I think, is for you to help get her back on her feet, legitimately. Help her, get her phone number, talk about the good old days, that sort of thing. She's family, don't ask her to join in your crusade, try your hardest to keep her world pure."

As the two work through their conversation it turns towards the Urban Brawl Game currently on the Trid. Blaze finally finds himself relax with the man he considers his father. Realizing he still needs to finish planning for the run by midnight Blaze politely excuses himself from the bar.

"Max, I do have one request. Could you try to find a group that you trust to help me find Melissa?"

"Sure kid, I can do that for you."

Walking out past the garish caveman decorations, and listening to a new woman scream in response to the Raptor's high pitched call, Blaze begins heading towards his meet.
SentineloftheMountain
1335 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie on the phone with Jack Soloman: "Yeah, the real estate agent said he would hold the property for me for 48 hrs. I expect it to move fairly quickly since it's a downtown location. I'll fax over the lease agreement papers now. ...

As for the fee I can only spare 100 nuyen at the moment for this. If it costs more then I'll have to pay you back at the end of the month. What do you think? Can you help me out??"
Shev
1421 January 5, 2063- An apartment above Key to the Future

After crusing around the matrix aimlessly for a couple hours, Avalanche prepares to jack out. Suppose I should tend after the shop until tonight's meet. Hmmm...I think I'll check Shadowland one last time....

The man of snow and ice zips along the virtual landscape of the 'Land, checking threads relevant to CFS. When he gets to the Califronia Protectorate SIG, he stops dead in his tracks. Hmmmmm... A sheet of ice appears in front of his icon, and Avalanche carves some runic symbol into the ice. Then, he sends the PM on its way.

It isn't long before the sheet of ice came back, with writing covering it's other side. Avalanche studies it for a few minutes, then sends the sheet of ice back. Again, the sheet of ice comes back before long. Hmm, tempting...I think I'll check what Zig says just to be safe. Writing one last brief reply, Avalanche runs his commlink program. An icicle antenna comes out of the ice man as Avalanche dials Zigzag's number.

"Zigzag."

"Zig, it's Ave. I got a quick question for you: what do you know about a character named Scorpion?"
grendel
1422, 5 January 2063 - somewhere in Seattle, UCAS

"Doesn't take long, does he? No, I wouldn't think so. Listen close. Scorpion is an ex-runner, I knew him back when he worked a team in Seattle. He's no joke: professional, effecient, deadly. I never worked with him personally, but chummers I know who did said he didn't tolerate any mistakes. None of 'em worked with him again, but the guys on his team all made it out alive with some nuyen to boot. He headed south about three years ago, opened up some kind of bookstore in Cal Free. I got a call from him a couple of days ago looking for matrix talent and I dropped your name, figured you could use the money. Watch your back with this one, omae. He'll deal straight, but if you frag up, he'll erase you."
WinterRat1

Yelling at the girls to head to the car, Dragon calmly kept walking back towards the car. All right, let's see how you handle a shot without your armor protecting you.

Using his smartlink to change the Guardian to burst, he raised his aim to the rapidly closing sam's throat, where there was (hopefully) no armor. Again letting the crosshairs in his eye hone in, Dragon waited until he had a lock, then let loose a burst. Easily managing the recoil, he watched the bullets fly towards their target...
Shev
1422, 5 January 2063- An apartment above Key to the Future

"Got it. Thanks for the info. Catch you later, Ziggy.

Avalanche ends the commlink program. Well, I guess that settles it, then. The sheet of ice appears before him again, and again he etchs runes onto it and sends it on it's merry way. I'll just wait in the Trix for the reply, shouldn't be too long...

Using this excuse to stay in the Matrix a bit longer, Avalanche browsed Shadowland to his hearts content, waiting for a reply.
Sedna
1336 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"That is a fair bit of work you are asking, for 100 nuyen" said Jack Solomon drily. "Let's see, what would an average skilled decker earn ...?"

Andie waited for him to continue, then realised the other was waiting for him to comment. "I guess you want more," Andie said at last. "I'll have to pay you back at the end of the month, then. I'm good for it."

"Yes," said the fixer, and this time there was definite amusement in his voice. "If you go by this contract, you will also be committed to a couple of thousand in service charges here, I see, and there is no provision here for paying that at the end of the month."

"Oh," said Andie, unsure what else to say.

"Never mind, we can work around that. What were you working on currently, orichalcum?" Another question which wasn't really a question, and this time with a tinge of definite interest. "That takes quite a bit of work you are putting into it, does it not ...?"
Sedna

A couple of quick thoughts go through Andie's head. First and foremost: This isn't fair! At this rate there won't be any left when I'm done!

That one is closely followed by Does she have to tell him everything?

Then again, I haven't exactly been making a secret of this around the shop. The kids all know about the circulation, but they don't really count. But there's been other people in and out as well. I don't think Sara Lansing would have told anyone else, though. At least, I hope not.

I wonder ... just maybe Jack Solomon's not asking for this as a lump payment just for this service. Maybe he's including the loan for the service charges in the lease document into that, but that still seems very expensive. How much would a decker charge? Would he tell me if I asked him? He and Sara are pretty tight, after all. He might cut me a break.

Maybe I could talk him into something by way of opening an account? Hm, maybe I could talk him into something closer to the sale value of orichalcum against the continuing value of his services, if that's what he's negotiating for.

But I'd better be very careful about every bargain I make from now on ... and I had better learn to negotiate better.
SentineloftheMountain

Andie replies to Jack's question about the circulation in a playful tone of voice. "That was either a lucky guess or you have been spying on me, Jack." He pauses. "Yes, it does take a long time to process such material and time is very valuable commodity to me."

Andie pauses for Jack's response and says consideringly, "You wouldn't happen to be in the market for some orichalcum, now would you Jack?"

I have to start marketing my work somehow and Jack may be a good place to start for now.

"As you probably realise from the lease contract I will need some renovation work done at the new location among other things. If you know of someone reputable to do the work then maybe we can help each other out?? A favor for a favor perhaps."

Andie gauges Jack's reaction to what he said, "Somethings in life take time to create for them to worth anything. Rome wasn't built in a day as you well know and look what it accomplished."
WinterRat1

The rounds impacted the samurai right on the money, tearing up his face and throat. With a small smirk of satisfaction, Dragon nodded to himself. That's one down. Stupid sniper...I'd really like to get my hands on the bodies and check for some ID or anything. But that probably isn't the best move, who knows what kinda backup they have? I better get with the girls, come to think of it, in case there's some other jokers lying around out here.

Waving an arm to Virgil to come follow him, he jogs off to Tiffany and Sybersnake. Moving protectively in front of them, he says, "Let's go, hurry up. Tiffany, try to help Sybersnake. Stay behind me, and let's get to the car." Quickly he leads the way to the car, senses alert for any other threats in the area.
Sedna

"Just a sec," says Tiffany, her voice surprisingly steady. Her outfit is soaked with Sybersnake's blood. "The medkit's still processing. Good thing for you I caught the initial bullet on tape, because all anyone else here saw was that someone killed with magic, and you started shooting. Is that sniper still out there?"

Still processing? She has a medkit with her? But --

And then Dragon realised how very little time had passed. Amazing how very much can happen in a single minute.
Sedna
1337 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"You wouldn't happen to be in the market for some orichalcum, now would you Jack?"

"I might be," says the voice at the other end of the phone connection, reflecting, but still with that definite spark of interest. "Let us agree, between the two of us, to work in transactions in kind from now on, rather than strict nuyen.

So let us see what you have asked me to do, thus far. You have asked for a full background check on this property, including --" a distinct frown entered the voice, a suggestion of a furrowed brow, and Andie just knew the fixer had just put on his steel-rimmed reading glasses again to skim his notes "-- past tenants, real estate taxes, the real estate agent's rep, and current zoning, plus anything else that you might find interesting. You probably also want me to cover the service charges listed here, although you have not really said that yet; and finally you also want me to put you in touch with someone reliable for renovation work. Does that about cover it?"

Andie nodded, then added "Yes."

"All right. A hundred would not begin to cover that, but I think you already suspected that. What we could do is to subtract that against what we negotiate for your future orichalcum. It would also depend on how many units you wished to invest in this ...?"

"Somethings in life take time to create for them to worth anything. Rome wasn't built in a day as you well know and look what it accomplished."

Andie could hear the smile in the fixer's voice as he answered, "Indeed."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012