Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Sedna
1444 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Not only tepid water, but sterilised -- but Virgil gulped it down too quickly to notice the complete bleh of taste. The second glass he handed to Cindy, who, with Father Bremen's stablising help, was slowly able to start getting it down. She needs it. After all that, her throat must be raw.

It wasn't until he poured a third glass for himself -- and spilled almost half of it the moment he tried to pick it up -- that he really understood that his hands had started to shake.

Focus --

"Cindy, do you know where we can find Jonah? ..." He thought he'd added more, echoing whatever it was Dragon had just said -- so that's his name! --

The room kept being disturbingly "off", in a way she couldn't figure. The other man's question gave him an anchor and an answer: "Auburn. 102-10th Street northeast, I think it's apartment B. But you know, if he made it to his place, he should be safe there. Maybe he even bolted. I never had a chance to place that other call, so it's likely they think he was still inside the building when it burned. I heard you, you know. I heard the Doc Wagon mage say that there weren't any other survivors."

The woman on the bed is staring at him. Did I just say that? Did we both just say that?

"Who's 'they'?" asked Dragon, turning sharply at the doorway, at the same time as someone else asked, "Virgil, what's going on?" She heard the reporter's voice as from a great distance, the glass of water slipping through her clammy fingers and water droplets splattering all over the floor. Her clothes aren't her own. She'd been burned --

Virgil's fingers were leaving dents on the bed railings. There's even a part of him that understands exactly what is going on, the same part that's clinging desperately to the structure of the silent wisdom chant, trying to pull together the threads that were Virgil against the too-close-to-dominance of not one but three separate lifetimes forced into one of the most potent wills he'd ever encountered.

He'd been warned the spell could be hazardous. He'd listened, but assumed that a properly trained will could dominate and control any reasonable sensory stimulus -- and maybe it could, but what this woman had been through and survived, and surmounted, was on entirely another planet from "reasonable". And he'd walked straight into not only the imposed persona, and the imposed skills, and the data filtre, but also the shattered remains left behind by another mind probe, as recent in memory as it gets without being "now", and one of the most vicious things he'd ever known.

I know you now.

The astral traces of the spell at the site may have been long gone. The traces of the man, burned within this woman's mind, would never entirely leave Virgil's being. Mind rape. Oh, yes.

He wanted desperately to scrub, a part of him grateful that the woman could not feel the echoes of the magic left behind in his -- her! -- memory as he could. Still a bit unsteady, he pushes himself away from the wall with Tiffany's help and commands his legs to support him. She's surprisingly strong: which is good, because his legs are seriously considering mutiny.

"Jonah's the owner of that place, or was," she's explaining. "But the profits were enh, and more importantly he's got some kind of understanding going with a cop and that just wasn't acceptable."

"Ex-cop," said Virgil, in complete synch with her own self-correction, and their eyes met and they both smiled -- and a small shiver went through Dragon in the moment before he looked away, and then stepped out into the hallway to get Sybersnake. I wonder if this place has Matrix access? It must. Galina has that datajack. Maybe that's what Dragon meant by putting his ear to the ground? ...

He's got himself balanced now, braced against the reporter's surprisingly strong support. Her skin is hot to his touch. Matrix. Too many questions, too many new questions each time one gets answered. And then it hits him: "What time is it?"

"Almost three," says Tiffany, at the same time as Sybersnake says, "2:45," from the doorway. The Latina is looking decidedly green. Have to remember to ask Dragon what happened while I was gone. But first --

"Cindy is right, it won't make any difference at this point whether we rush in to save Jonah or not. Either they think he's dead and he's safe enough for now -- and he's got the sense to keep his head down -- or he's already burned." An involuntary shudder goes through him as he says that. "But we've got to take a moment to figure out where we're going from here. We've got two meets happening in fifteen minutes, and one of them's supposed to be a virtual meet. How do we work this?"
Moirdryd
14:43 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Leatherneck's - Redmond Barrens

Knight laughs softly down the line.

"Nothing right now, precious. It may be a few days until i can actually get by to your friend`s shop, but yes, please tell her to expect me within the week. Speak to you soon and don't worry, you`ll get that dinner. " He smirks and kills the call, finishing the beer off he rises and straightens out his coat.

Well, time to go and check in at the new job.

He turns from the table and walks calmly out the door and down the street a way. Pausing at the road junction to check the map and get his bearings before beginning his walk through the local region of Redmond to where Cao Jaan`s halfway house is located.

After about ten minutes of travel away from Leatherneck`s Knight stops again. Checking the streets he steps briefly into a small dumpster alley and re-adjusts his style of dress. The area he`s heading into the `Star almost never ventures into unless there is something bug going down, as Jackson said, its Gang-land and that calls for a change of tack.

Rose-kiss is lowered in her position from concealed to a `ready` place, the tip of her pommel showing from within the coat. Knight also moves his cavalier deputy around from where it was holstered at his back to ride more openly on his hip. The message it generates is simple. Packing heat and ready to use.

That should dissuade some of the street punks from trying anything on a lone walker. he considers. But then its always best to be safe..

Knight concentrates for a few moments, feeling the Power of the Mes ti Draesis within the center of his being. visualizing it as intricate patterns of coiling knotwork. He calls to the coil of power feeling it thrum through him, taking a mental hold of the threads of the knotworks he channels them through himself, guiding his body`s movements so he has to consider them less making him move and react faster. With that done and his mind set upon the pattern of magic that now flows through him, he continues on his way, pulling up his collar at the still icy air and light snow.
Scrapheap
08:26:42 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Aw, for frag's sake. Not now. Don't do this now.

"Etta. Hey. Hey, take it easy." Scrapheap puts the lit cigarette into an ashtray and stands to go over to his sister, wincing as he does so.

Ahh! I must've tweaked my back rolling off the couch. Not to sound like a cliche, but chummer, you're to old for this drek.

He crosses the room and carefully kneels next to the sobbing Etta and takes her hand. "C'mon, Et. You've got to hold it together. This isn't going to do anyone any good. I'm gonna need your help, and Nora will too, once I find her. So let's get up," he stands and pulls her to her feet, "and go into the kitchen. I'll make some soykaf."

Leading her by the hand into the small kitchen, he pulls out one of the mismatched chairs with his free hand. Helping her to sit in the chair, he then hands her a napkin to wipe her eyes. "Here. You'll need this." He then turns to the soykaf machine.

Dabbing her eyes, Etta sniffs, "How?"

"How what?"

"How can I help you, John? I don't handle pressure that well, and I'm no good with a gun. So what help can I be?"

Smiling to himself, Scrapheap looks over his shoulder. His sister sits with her elbows on the table, her chin in her left hand. She uses her right to dry her eyes and wipe her nose. "You misunderstood. I've got the street covered. I need you to stay around the area, here or work, in case Nora comes back on her own. If we both go looking, we'll never know if she came back and left again. Plus, you can call her friend's folks, if you know any of the numbers. See if she's been by, or if they've heard anything."

Flipping the switch on the machine, he heads over to the fridge and grabs a plastic print-out stuck to the front. "It looks like you got a shift at the Shak this morning. You start getting ready. I'm going to look through her stuff. See what I can find. Can you do that?" He walks over and gives her shoulder a squeeze with his right hand. C'mon. Yes. Just say yes.

Etta reaches up and grabs his wrist, squeezing back for a moment. The only sounds are her quiet sniffling and the gurgling of the soykaf maker. "O-OK. Just give me a second, then I'll get cleaned up and ready for work."

With a final pat on her shoulder, Scrapheap leaves the kitchen and heads over and grabs what's left of his lit cigarette, before heading back to the rear of the apartment. He passes the open doors to the tiny bathroom and Etta's small bedroom, before coming to the closed door to Nora's room. The door is covered with stickers for bands he's never heard of, clippings from fashion scream sheets, drawings, and a large sign reading "Frag off." Smiling in spite of himself, he turns the handle and starts to enter the room...and stops short.

Whoa. Looks like a someone let a fraggin' angry air elemental loose in here. Better get started. Small chance, but maybe she left something behind.
Shadowrunner13
10:33:54 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

"Thank you," Tenmou says, still a little baffled by this whole thing. "I'll be sure to take good care of her."

He takes the documentation and keys from Frank, sliding the extra set into his pocket.
Slipshade
24:02:16 Sunday 07 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower - Roof Top

The wind whips at Max’s long pale blond hair causing him a slight chill, even through the extra sweater he had donned before making his way to the rooftop. Dark clouds roll overhead threatening rain for the coming day. Flickers of mana lighting up the astral sky as lighting would a storm. Shutting the access door behind him, Max moves across a short path lined with a menagerie of stone gargoyles towards a low rising cobblestone fence. The fence is a sixteen feet diameter circle of mixed stone. Four 4’ tall columns stand at the cardinal points of the circle, each bearing the learning visage of gargoyle ready to pounce. The astral presence of the shamanic lodge seemed to flicker in consort with the mana lines of the coming storm. Stepping across the threshold of the stone circle Max stands and admires the garden at its center. Just inside the outer wall is a grassy path that follows it around its perimeter. The center of the circle is a beautiful rock garden from which two grassy paths radiate outwards to meet with the outlaying footpath at each of the four columns. Inside the lodge the wind seems to have lessened. Max carefully removes the slippers he wears around his home and walks to the center of the lodge. Examining the garden and it’s surroundings, He finds everything in its place and returns to retrieve his slippers. Max ties the stray strands of hair that had come loose in the wind back into a clip he uses to keep it out of his face.

Max had never liked wearing his hair long, but since his change he couldn’t seem to keep it short. His hair would grow to the length of his shoulders and a little beyond I the span of one night. Bracing himself against the wind he exits the sacred lodge.

Max moves to the east side of the roof and climbs onto the building ledge where he perches himself on the guard railing. He locks one leg through the steal bars of the safety rail to help stabilize himself against the strong winds. Looking down onto what is the eastern border of Bellevue and Touristville he can see the lights of the street cars and the small glow of metahuman life force weaving in and out of the streets below.

‘Everything is so simple up here, so clear. It was always easier when you can see the big picture…’

The farther towards the barrens he looks the harder it is to see. A malaise of fear and despair covers Redmond the farther from Touristville you go, a deep fog blocks the astral presence of the SINless that live there. It is as if the universe itself was trying to wipe the memory of the Barrens from its existence.

‘…but down there, where you can barely see past the person crammed in front of you, everything gets complicated.’

Max stays perched on the rail for an hour or so…never moving, just watching the city below, until the weariness of the day began to overtake him. He climbs down from the rail and walks to the access door. He punches in the security code and descends into the warm comforts of his house.
Cedric Rolfsson
17:51:01 Saturday January 6, 2063 Elven District Seattle UCAS

Erebus slid back from his deck and stood, stretching. He hadn't spent long on the boards today but he always felt stiff if he sat too long at the computer rather than doing something active. How these Matrix cowboys could spend hours jacked in, lying motionless, was beyond him. He settled his Berretta at his belt and headed for the kitchen for a snack. He hadn't eaten since he woke up around noon and his stomach kept reminding him that food was not an optional thing.

The kitchen in his doss was basic, hell the entire doss was pretty basic, just your average work-a-day laborer's apartment. He could remember days when this kind of pad would have been gift from the Almighty, and then not too long ago he would have found this place beneath him.

God, the Spirits, Vishnu, Whoever, has a sick fragging sense of humor sometimes.

Erebus grabbed a nuker meal and proceed to irradiate it, nothing fancy just fuel for the body. He needed to keep himself in shape and that meant eating properly. He'd invested enough nuyen into his body that he wasn't about to mistreat it just for kicks, anymore than a decker would smash up his deck for fun.

Erebus stared out the window in his living room, though much of the view was obscured bye the 35 foot blue spruce the residence in his apartment building had growing in the small planting bed along the eastern side of the building, he could still see past it to a small section of Denny Park.

It was getting dark out now, the Park turning from an oasis of living things, into hunting grounds for the local chiller thrillers. He could still make out the form of a couple of chipheads too zoned or dumb to leave before nightfell, lounging on a park bench.

Food for the beasts. he thought.

As he watched a couple of Halloweeners wandered over to the chipheads and began to poke and prod at the chippie, who was conscious enough to respond by flailing around and actually managing to land a weak punch on one of the thrillers. Big mistake. Erebus watched as the two gangers proceeded to administer a profound beating to the chiphead, eventually leaving a bloody lump on the ground and walking away. Erebus hardly even noticed, his mind on the possibilities in front of him.

Hmmmm, a possible extraction, we'll see how this plays out. I'm definitely going to need those portable telecoms though, or communications going to be impossible.

Erebus sipped his soykaf and stared out the window, looking but not really seeing the city's shadows wake up from their daytime slumber, his mind already turning over possibilities, the angles, and his plans.
banditf50
1445 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

"The meeting I scheduled with an associate of mine is to take place downtown, way out of range even if we left this instant. I can call and reschedule if only because the situation has become infinitely more complex than I ever imagined it would."

Virgil had to lean over and brace his hands against his knees to fight off a wave of rubbery senation sweeping across them.

"I think the matrix meet with Kiki is the top priority at the moment since that may lead to direct knowledge of Julia's location and condition. Sybersnake, would we need a deck for the matrix meet to be possible? There is a slim chance that Galina may have a basic model in the clinic that we could borrow."

"Father Bremen, your message only mentioned that Kiki desired a matrix meet at 3pm, did she provide instructions for how to locate her in the matrix?"
Sedna
1446 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

"You mean to meet from here?!?" A very expressive shudder goes through Sybersnake. "Can't we borrow a payterminal or something?"

"Time is an issue," Virgil reminds. "But you're saying we won't need a deck for this meet."

She looks trapped, and ready to spit. "No, you don't need a deck for a cybermeet unless you're expecting things to go dumpshock; all you really need is a terminal, someone who knows where they're heading, and maybe a hitcher jack or 'trodes. Although it's like wading through molasses and you can forget about not being tracked. But Kiki's okay, so that's kind of not a factor anyway."

Father Bremen looks puzzled, Tiffany distinctly doubtful; but the mercenary and the shaman know that Sybersnake saying that another decker was "okay" was like anyone else saying that the person was well on the way to becoming the next Fastjack. Noticing the Latina's uneasiness, Dragon adds, careful not to glance at the reporter as he does so, "Considering how careful the doc's been so far, I think she'd know enough not to contaminate her own deck." Left unsaid is the appreciation of a decker's territoriality: ask to borrow the deck of someone else in the know? Admit that she'd lost her own? It's itching at Dragon not just to cut to the chase: c'mon, chica, just accept that we could use this and swallow your pride for once. What stops him, just in time, is seeing the reflection of his own: professionalism, ability, pride in what one could do well. He shakes his head slightly, smiling a little to himself. All that, and she looks good in a wet blouse.

"I don't think Kiki said where," says the priest. "Does that even have meaning in the Matrix?"

"You bet your ass it does," retorts Sybersnake. "The Matrix has geography, just like the meat world does. But I'll bet I know where she means. Did she say anything about bringing a change of boxers?"

"Ah --" The troll is flustered. "I didn't think that was important?"

Sybersnake smiles. "It's the Carousel. It's one of her favourites. Hang onto your hats, boys and girls, because we is going for a ride."

And she walks -- no, struts -- out into the hallway to call Galina from the hall comm, leaving Dragon torn between an urge to close his eyes and a definite desire not to.
WinterRat1
08:43:37 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Quickly searching through Nora's room while Etta was getting ready for work, John shook his head at the mess that compromised his niece's small living space. Clothes were scattered everywhere, makeup and cosmetics littered the place, and trashy screamsheets stuck out from underneath everything, detailing the latest gossip rumors of the current 'it' list and how to be just like them.

Tossing aside the clothes and sorting through anything that might look remotely useful, after a few minutes, he finally found a letter, neatly folded and set right on top of her pillow, but inserted like a bookmark into a magazine, sticking out just enough to catch his eye, but only on the third scan of that area. Odd, why would she be so neat about leaving it there? John wondered.

Picking it up, he scanned it briefly. It was handwritten, and looked like it had been hastily scrawled out. It read simply,

CODE

Dear Mom and Uncle John,

I went out with some acquaintances for a New Year's Eve get together. We should be back from the Underworld soon, maybe like September Third? =) Anyway, I couldn't get a hold of either one of you and I had to run, so I left this in a weird spot so you'd find it. If you need to get a hold of me bad, you might want to try tracking down [B] Twiggy [/B], since he's been underground the last couple days, and no one has been able to find him. Just in case you need to look for me, you know? He should be able to help. Hope you both have a great New Year's, and I'll see you when I get back!

Love,
[B] Nora [/B]

The first thing that ran through John's mind was, What the frag is this all about? The second thing that hit him was that there had to be more to this letter than meets the eye, because Nora was never this responsible. Something fishy was going on, and by the time he got to the bottom of it all, he was sure he wasn't going to like it.
grendel
10:35:19 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

As Tenmou stands in front of the vehicle, thoughtfully flipping the keys in his hand, his phone rings. A quick check of the caller ID brings a smile to his face.

"Hi, Phoenix."

"Hey, Shitoki! How are you?" In this case, she passed only a voice component. Tenmou glanced around to ensure that no one was within earshot.

"Not bad, how are things going?" He frowned at the timestamp on the call. "It's not your lunch break yet, is it?"

"Nope, I worked mid shift last night. And I'm on swing tomorrow, so how about taking me out tonight? You promised a rain check, remember?"
Shadowrunner13
10:36:12 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou smiles. "I did, didn't I?"

"You certainly did," Phoenix said.

"Well, I suppose I can't back out now," he said, playfully. "What time would you like me to pick you up?"
grendel
10:36:33 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

"We'll meet you at the main South Entrance at eight o'clock, ok? Is it all right if I bring a friend along?"

It was easy to hear the smile in Phoenix's voice over the phone.
Slipshade
01:31:24 Monday 08 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower - 41st Floor - Penthouse

Tick-tock…tick-tock…

The penthouse was quiet, only the muffled tick-tock of the grandfather clock could be heard coming from the study. Max gently shuts the security door and briefly thinks about perusing one of the texts from his mezzanine level bookcase, before thinking better of it and once again descending the bronze spiral staircase. He passes the main living area and the doors to his study moving towards the rear of the penthouse and his bedroom. Pushing his bedroom door aside Max surveys the room beyond.

The initial area is a sitting room, filled with comfortable chairs and divans, perfect for reading or taking a cozy morning breakfast. While the view is not as breathtaking as the dining room view of Mt. Rainier, it is still quite nice. To the left of the sitting room is the bathroom, done in the style of an ancient roman bath, and to the right another bronze spiral staircase leading to the actual sleeping area. Max ascends the staircase to the master bedroom suite, stripping off his clothes as he makes his way to the bed.

‘Tomorrow I will put some calls in for work before visiting the shelter.’

Clearing his mind Max reaches out to the spirit world, tugging at the presence he knows lurks in astral image of his home.

“I have need of you Jeeves.”

Max sends his calling out to the Hearth Spirit that resides in his home. He was never sure if it was the same spirit each time he called or if the spirits answering his summons just took the same form.

What appears to be an older gentleman dressed in a 17th century butler’s uniform floats up through the bedroom floor.

“Yes, Master Steiner you have need of some assistance?” The spirit was always very formal. Max got the impression that it derived enjoyment from being the spirit of such an upper class residence. The thought of it bragging to its friends about its living arrangements almost brought a smile to Max’s face, but he certainly did not wish to offend the spirit, not when he was going to ask it to guard his home.

“Yes Jeeves. I would like you to wake me if anyone enters this domain tonight. If the night passes uneventfully wake me before you leave at dawn.”

“Of course sir, will that be all?”

“Yes, for now.”

“Very good sir.” Jeeves disappears into the floor again and begins his patrol of the house.

Settling himself into bed, it doesn’t take Max long to fall sleep.
Scrapheap
08:57:19 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

John read the letter several more times before folding it up and putting it into his pocket.

I have to be missing something here. Not only is Nora never this responsible, the tone is all wrong. She's done nothing but argue with us since she started hanging out with those kids; been nothing but trouble. She been so mad lately, but this is friendly, loving. Something's going on, but what?

Looking around the room again, he tried to decide if he'd missed anything. Aw, frag it. He knelt down and quickly went through the piles of clothes and other drek one last time. Finding nothing else, he then went over and looked under the futon matress. Nothing. Growing more frustrated, he turned and pulled the drawers out of the battered dresser and dumped them out onto the futon before quickly going through the piled contents. Finally, he checked the drawers themselves as well as behind and under the dresser. Still nothing.

Going back out into the hallway and pulling the door to the bedroom closed, he could hear the shower running in the small bathroom. Glad that his sister had managed to pull herself together, he went into the kitchen and poured himself a steaming cup of soykaf. Taking the chipped cup over to the table, he sat and pulled out Nora's letter and read it again.

Ok, what can I get from this? She's plainly trying to tell us something, but didn't want to make it obvious. So someone was here with her when she wrote it, or she was afraid that the wrong person could find the letter later. In other words, she's in trouble. He winced as he took a sip of the 'kaf. Ugh, that's bad. So what else? She references "The Underworld" in there, which I think is a club, and then "September Third" which I somehow doubt actually refers to the date. Then there's the part about this Twiggy character. Never heard of him. She says he's "been underground," does she mean the Orc Underground?

He sits at the table staring at the letter, only realizing that he'd lost track of time when he hears his sister behind him say, "What are you looking at? Is that from Nora?" Cursing under his breath, both from being startled and from the fact that he hadn't decided yet if he was going to show the letter to Etta, he turned to look at her. "Yeah. I found it in her room."

"Let me see it!" Etta, holding her robe closed with one hand, drops the wad of pajamas that she carried in the other and takes the letter from her brother. Slowly, she pulls out a chair and sits at the table. She never takes her eyes from the sheet of paper clutched in her shaking hand.

After a minute or two of silence, Scrapheap says, "Well? What do you think?"
Shadowrunner13
10:36:57 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou is a little disappointed that Pheonix wouldn't be alone, but he was still happy to spend some time with his old friend.

"No problem, Mioko," he said. "I'll pick you up at eight. Did you have a specific restaurant in mind?""
grendel
10:37:14 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

"Someplace nice, where we can go dancing. I gotta run, Shitoki, I'll see you tonight. Bye!"
WinterRat1
09:01:33 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

After staring at the paper intently for several minutes, as if she were trying to decipher the message through sheer force of will, Etta slumps dejectedly back in her chair and tosses the piece of paper back on the table. "No," she answers, her voice burdened with the frustration of knowing that their only lead to her daughter was right in front of them, and neither of them could decipher it.

"I have no idea what this means. She could be anywhere, waiting for us! She could be in trouble, she probably needs us bad! My baby!" And then the tears start flowing again. The frustration and worry are too much for Etta , and she buries her face in her hands again, sobbing.

Oh man, I hate seeing her cry...argh! This is so frustrating! How can it be right in front of me and I can't figure it out? Moving to put his arm around his sister and pull her close, John lets her cry herself out, her tears drenching the shoulder of his shirt where her head rests against him. After several minutes, she gulps for air, and takes a few deep breaths, calming herself. "OK... John , I'll go to work now...what are...you...going...to do? And what should I...do...when I...get back?"
Ecclesiastes
12:34:21 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

"Mommy!"

Todd woke from his nightmare, covered in sweat. He sat up, doing his best to calm down and catch his breath. Another night, another nightmare. At least it was mom this time and not an army of blues hunting me down... Man I stink. Throwing the covers aside, he let his bare feet land on the floor and he walked over to the window and cracked the blinds, then thought better of it, I'm not ready to deal with daylight yet.

"Trid On."

At his verbal command, the trid came to life and began to blare the latest news flashes as he walked to the bathroom and showered, trying to let the warm water sooth his dark dreams away. Half an hour later, after dressing and getting some soycaf in his system, he felt like a new boy.

"Trid Off."

Now... let see what the real news sources have to say and maybe pick up a little pay dirt. He flopped down into his new LayZMan recliner and plugged the Matrix feed into his datajack. The world of the Matrix burst into life as his ASIST Converter kicked in and all thoughts and fears of the real world were replaced with new ones. The Matrix was once a haven for Todd, a battlefield of unending questions and answers, but lately it has taken a scary turn. He has been forced into hiding, staying away from those who would know him from his former existence. Shaking off his unease, he spirals through the world of data and soon stood at the gates to Shadowland.

User: SK8TR
Pass: ********************
Scrapheap
09:08:28 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Getting up from the table, John goes to the 'kaf machine and pours Etta a cup and then a refill for himself. He walks back to the table and hands her the cup and then sits and says, "Before you leave work, give me a call on my cell. I'll let you know what I've found. You can decide what to do at that point."

Etta wipes her eyes and face with the sleeve of her threadbare robe. "Do you...do you really think you'll find something by then?" He couldn't miss the hopeful tone in her voice.

"I hope so, Et. I know some people that may be able to help. Unfortunately, most of them are not early risers. I also want to go ask around in a couple of places. Remember about six months ago when you first told me that Nora wasn't going to school or coming home every night? Well, I followed her around for a couple of days; talked to some people. I know where she usually hangs. Maybe someone knows something. If they do, they'll tell me."

She winces as she sips from her cup. "How do you know?" Then at his raised eyebrow, "Know that they'll tell you?"

"Trust me." He stands, "Listen, you need to get dressed or you'll be late. I'll be heading in that direction anyway, so I'll walk you. Just let me wash up."

Waiting until he hears the door to her bedroom close, John goes over to the chair holding his pile of clothes and other things. He hangs the armored jacket across the back of the chair, then places the holsters, rig, and guns on top. Then, grabbing the canvas satchel, he heads over to the couch. Setting the bag beside it, he quickly pulls the couch out a couple of feet and kneels behind it, popping his spur and he does so. He uses the spur to pry up a loose floorbard befor sheathing it and placing the board aside. Another follows that board, and then another, until a small hiding place is revealed. Inside are a couple of clips wrapped with a band of blue tape, and a few grenades. From inside the satchel, he pulls a scratched-up Ingram submachine gun and adds it into the small space. He also adds a few more clips, these with a red band, and 2 more grenades. Finally, he pulls out a couple of smaller clips and an envelope that he stuffs into his pocket. Laying the satchel across the items, he smiles ruefully at his "safe" before quickly replacing the floorboards and then the couch.

Moving over to the small closet that held his things, he strips off his shirt and tosses it in before grabbing a clean set of clothes and heading into the bathroom. Closing the door behind him he goes to the sink. No time for a shower. A quick chage and wash will have to do. He then proceeded to clean up and brush his teeth before quickly changing (remembering to transfer the envelope to his new pants).

Then, as he settles the clean shirt around his shoulders, he catches his reflection in the mirror and it gives him pause. Staring back at him was a slim man, almost gaunt, though his shoulders were broad and his hands large. He could remember a time when powerful muscles rippled across his chest and arms; both arms. He pulled the left side of his shirt back to reveal the line where flesh became steel; the base for his shoulder and cyberarm. You could see raised ridges running across his chest where additional anchors for the arm had been added under the skin. Meat alone wasn't strong enough, they had said.

As he stared, his eyes running across the scars, tattoos, and steel, he bagan to experience a familiar feeling. This wasn't him; he wasn't here. He was watching from some distant, remote location. No wonder the lined face looking out of the mirror looked so old. It wasn't his. Not me. Not my face... A soft knock at the door brought him back with a start. "You about ready? I'm gonna be late!"

He quickly buttoned his shirt and tucked it in. "Be right there." He opened the door to find Etta standing there in her uniform looking worried. Before she could say anything, he went over to the chair and hurriedly put on his boots. Then, he put on his holster rig and on top of that the jacket. He quickly patted his jacket pockets, feeling the spare clips and his credstick inside. Going to the table, he grabbed his smokes and lighter and added them to the jacket pockets. Finally he grabbed his battered Detroit Tigers hat off of the chair and said, "Let's go."

They walked through the Co-op's hallways quickly, dodging squealing children and returning greetings as they went. On their way across the large public area, John noticed that the guard had changed. Standing next to the inner door was an Orc woman named Judi. She was good with electronics and he had helped her install the device that electrified the outer door. She nocitced him and waved. "Hoi, Johnny! When'd you get back?"

"Last night, Judi. Or this morning, really. Listen, sorry to be short but we're in a hurry."

"Nul persp, J. What's shakin?"

"It's Nora. She hasn't been home for a while, and we're kinda worried. When's the last time you seen her? If you can't remember don't worry, but could you ask around with the other guys? We're trying to see if anyone was with her and if so what they looked like."
grendel
12:34:50 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Shadowland

As the vistas of the real world melt into the razor sharp reality of the matrix, the tension that bites at Todd's shoulders seems to lessen. Despite the nightmare visions, he has trouble believing that anything could hurt him here. After all, he was one of the Chosen, wasn't he?

Shifting down the data pathways of the matrix, Todd pauses momentarily before the grimy icon of a Tacoma apartment building's host. Just a step above UMS iconography, really, the host appears as an electronic mirror of the real building, down to the revolving door on the front lobby. Running his hand over the access pad next to the door, Todd waits for the flicker of green light before passing through the revolving door. Instead of admitting him to the lobby, the tiled floor dissolves like a mosiac struck by kinetic energy shot, dropping him into Shadowland Seattle.

The host appears as an infinitely long hallway, lined with unmarked green doors. Todd knew it was more illusion than reality, but there where quite a few places to visit. Abraxis always appealed to him, with its manic variety of icons and personas. But not today. Maybe not ever again.

Instead, Todd turned left and made his way down the hall until he came to the sixth door. Behind this door was the ShadowNet, the information storage and retrieval system kept alive by the digital shepards such as himself. True power in the Sixth World was information, and only the Nexus had a better information organization than Shadowland. Passing through the doorway revealed a high-tech archive center, clusters of workstations lit by shadowless point spots, screens glowing with lambent readiness. Todd slid into one of the ergonomic chairs, propping his skateboard beneath the desk. With a flick of his hand, the data interface came to life.
WinterRat1
09:25:12 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Apartment 342, Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Judi looked towards the ceiling for a moment, lost in thought. Then she shakes her head. "Sorry chum, I can't think of anyone with her last time I saw her. She was zoned out in the cafeteria eating. That was about, oh, two weeks ago? I doubt that helps you much."

Seeing the look in Etta's eyes, she hastily adds, "But I'll ask around, it's real possible one of the other guys saw her. I'm sure someone's seen her."

Nodding his thanks, John says, "Thanks a lot chummer. Let me know if you hear anything, soon as you hear it. I'll be seeing you."

The orc woman nods and lets them both out. It's starting to snow, and the chill air cuts through him and his sister as surely as the worry they're both feeling for Nora , and what could have happened to her.
WinterRat1
1447 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Ah the hell with it. Why on God's green earth would I not stare at her? Hell, she'd probably be ticked if she found out I wasn't looking. Besides, she's putting on a show, someone should appreciate it, right?

Without being too obvious about it, he silently stood and unobtrusively enjoyed the view. And oh what a view it was. Knowing first hand what lay beneath the tight pants that accentuated her sensuous curves, he couldn't help but smile at how lucky he was to have her in his life. For more reasons than just her body of course, but watching her leave, he had to admit that he wasn't exactly complaining about that aspect of her.

Then what is the issue you idiot? You've got her if you want her, why are you even thinking about Christina ? he asked himself. Before he could run down that road of thinking, however, another thought occurred to him. In all the craziness that had been going on, he hadn't yet had a chance to discuss the results of his biomonitor with Galina .

Quickly following Sybersnake , he caught up with her right as she finished calling Galina on the comm. In response to her quizzical look, he said simply, "I need to talk to Galina about something. Did you already buzz her up?"

Sybersnake nods. "Yeah. What is it that you need to talk to her about?"

"I might have more information about what this bug is. They probably haven't had time to analyze it yet, they've been too busy treating it to actually examine it." Tilting her head slightly, something she tended to do when she was going to ask a question, and a character trait Dragon felt was particularly endearing, she asked, "Hold on a second. How do you have this information on the bug?"

Grinning at her, Dragon answered simply, "Trade secret." He knew she didn't buy that answer, but before she could question him further, Galina rounded the corner. When she approached them, Dragon said, " Galina , I have to talk to you about something. I have some information on the bug that might prove useful."

Quickly he informed her of the results of his biomonitor scan, without telling her exactly how he knew, repeating word for word the system analysis. Of course, he could see the system analysis results in his image link, so that helped his accuracy quite a bit. When he was done relaying the information, the troll asked him, "Are you sure this information is accurate?"

Dragon nodded. "As sure as I can reasonably be at this point in time." In response to the troll's thoughtful frown as she considered the information, he admitted a bit sheepishly, "I got the info, but I have to admit I don't really know what it means. Care to fill us in on what exactly we're looking at here?"
Scrapheap
09:32:48 Sunday 07 January 2063 – A Redmond Sidewalk

As the door clangs closed behind them, John sticks a cigarette into his mouth and lights it. Taking a deep drag, he and his sister turn and begin her walk to work. As they walked down the sidewalk, their steps raising swirling puffs of new fallen snow, Etta pulled a fleece cap out of her coat and put it on. Noticing other people out and about, John pulls the bill of his cap lower and sticks his left hand in his jacket pocket. It wasn't exactly a disguise, but it hid him from the casual glance. He'd had gangers and street-toughs mess with him in the past, just because of what he appeared to be, and he didn't have time for that today.

I hope that Judi really does remember to ask around, and remembers to call me when she does. Nora pretty much had to walk past some of those guys last time she was home. I'd like to know who was with her.

They walked along, each lost in their own thoughts, until a few block later John glanced up to see the gaudy Stuffer Shak sign. Riddled with bullet-holes and chipped from countless rocks, it still gave a fitful glow in the gray light. Pausing underneath it he turned to his sister, "Go ahead and go in. I'm going to stay out here and make a few calls. I'll pop in before I head out."

"You sure? It'll be warmer inside." When she saw the quick shake of his head, she said, "Ok, Co...John. Just make sure to tell me when you're leaving." With that she turned and walked up to the door. Etta was forced to wait a second before being buzzed inside. The Shak didn't take any chances out here in the Barrens.

Flicking the smoking butt away, John pulls out his cell and flips it open. He punches in a number before bringing it up to his ear. After 3 rings the line seemed to go dead, but he just waited patiently. Idly watching a couple of squatters dig through a dumpster, he listened as a series of clicks and tones came over the line. He knew that his call was being routed over a number of different nodes in a complicated effort to avoid tracing. Finally there was a familiar beep on the other end. "Finn it's John. Call me when you get up." He disconnected.

He then dialed again, more reluctantly. I hate to do this, but who knows how long this will take? After a couple of rings, a bright voice on the other end exclaimed, "Good Morning! Firebird Mystical Security, this is Janice speaking. How may I help you?"

"Is Ms. Olivo in yet?"

"Not yet. Would you like her voicemail?"

"That would be great." He looked up as one of the squatters exclaimed and held something up triumphantly, missing what Janice said before transferring him. A smooth voice brought his attention back to the call: "You've reached Rosa Olivo. I'm very sorry to miss your call. Please leave a short message and contact information after the tone, and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Thank you for choosing FMS for your security needs. BEEP!"

"Rosie, it's John. Uh, listen; I'm not going to be able to make it tonight. Something's come up and I don't know how long it will take. I'll call you when it's taken care of and we'll plan something. Sorry for the short notice. Take care."

I'm sure that will put me in some hot water. Better than dragging her into it though. I've already put her through enough for a couple lifetimes. He took a deep breath and slowly let it out. Ok, one more call. At least there's a good chance she'll answer. He dialed again.

"Worthington. It's your cred, so spill." From the background noise he could tell she was in a car, and that he was on speaker. "Gail? John here. Anyone with you?"

"John? No, I'm alone. Is everything OK? It's a little early for you, isn't it?"

He snorted a laugh. "Yeah, I'm not awake by choice. Listen, I just need to ask you a couple of questions. I know you really know your way 'round the sprawl. I'm looking for info on a place called "The Underworld" or something like that. Could be a club or a bar, possibly even something else. It sounds familiar to me, but I mainly know the Barrens. You ever hear of it?"
Moirdryd
15:00 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Redmond Barrens -

Knight continued his walk at a steady pace, threading his way down the rough and battered streets of the barrens. Several smalll time gangs eye him as he passes them by, ignoring their passing jeers knowing full well the sight of the heavy pistol and his blade will keep most of the urban predators away in this part of town. Small time gangs dont have the cred to get guns or any anrmour for themselves better than the synth-leather of their jackets and messing with a man, elf or not, who`s packing serious heat openly and walking alone with an above average fluidity in his step is just asking for a bad day.

He barely notices how the graffiti markings on the walls about him change from one gang`s to another`s. He`s never had an interest in such things. As he draws closer to his destination however his hand slides down to rest visabley upon Rose-Kiss`s hilt. Pausing to check the map data he nods to himself.

Well Knight, almost there and then its time to prove your worth.
SentineloftheMountain
1200 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie slips into his astral perception to read Solomon's comments. "Just trying to think ahead Solomon. What about this change?? Move the wall in here one meter to create room for the chimney and room for a mechanical room and storage closet. It would mean cutting the living area down a little, but I can live with that. As for security I would like to have security cameras in the two store front areas, the two storage areas, and the hallways; maybe a concealed camera in the ritual room. Locks on all the doors of course; maybe some sequence keypad locks to the storage areas."

Andie considers Sara's security system for its benefits and flaws. "Perhaps something close to what Sara has for her store."

Andie tilts his head in thought.
Sedna
1449 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

As the Snake shaman rounds the corner, the Latina flashes Dragon a look that promises, smoulderingly, that this wasn't over. In all honesty, Dragon's almost looking forward to Part 2. A small smile catches at the corner of his mouth as he remembers his teammate striking his head against the wall (quietly, of course), and as he looks up to speak with an almost exhausted Galina he surprises an echo of the same in Sybersnake. Damn. But -- he sighs -- business before pleasure.

Quickly he explains what needs explaining, stumbling over a few of the more unfamiliar words as he reads them directly from the image link. Galina listens in stillness. After he finishes, she remains silent for a few moments, digesting what he's just revealed. "Are you sure this information is accurate?" she asks finally, pulling out a hand-held computer from a frayed pocket of her smock and starting to punch at the keyboard, surprisingly delicate for such large fingers.

Dragon nods and explains the rest, finishing with "but I don't really know what it means. Care to fill us in on what exactly we're looking at here?"

"I wish I could," says Galina, and now the exhaustion is stark in her voice. "I ken the virus family, but makes no sense." She frowns at the small computer, then pulls a loose cable out of another pocket and jacks in, evoking a small sound from Sybersnake, who visibly twitches as she pulls back what she was about to say. But whatever the troll's setting in motion is fast, already she's jacked out again: "Set up a cross-reference hunt, see what we got first. More'n that, have to go on-line. Ye'd somethin' t' ax, girl?"

Although she'd approached it forcefully enough, under Galina's direct gaze the Latina had begun to fidget with her hands. "I -- ah --" And then she hung her head: "Can I borrow your deck?" The last words, almost inaudible, trailing away.

The troll studied her. "What happened to yern?"

"Got shot," says Sybersnake simply, staring at the floor. "Got shot instead of me."

"Gonna use it from here?"

"Ah --" Fidgeting becoming stronger, Sybersnake finally settles for a simple nod.

"Mind taggin' someone along?"

"You mean, like a hitcher?" Startled, the Latina looks up to meet the large brown eyes: "But I'll already be dragging four ..."

"No, not a hitcher," and she's about to say more, but the small computer in her hand pings like it's found something, and the troll flips up the screen again to study it. In silence, Dragon watches the sudden knowledge etch itself into her face and settle across her broad shoulders. This is not going to be good.

"Sook," says Galina at last, "it's not ebola after all." If there had been a chair in the hallway, the mercenary was fairly certain she would have sunk into it. As it was, the substance of the wall seemed far too fragile a thing to support that massive weight. "It's smallpox."

Dragon looks from one to the other. Sybersnake has gone ashen, but doesn't seem particularly thinking to enlighten him. "What's smallpox?" he asks finally.

"Haemorrhagic, mebe 'cause her immune's already depressed," Galina was muttering to herself, "but gene-spliced, maybe Awakened. Not enough here to ken if it's been weaponised --" and then she looks up at him, and then at the wristcam he suddenly realises he's still holding: "Ye saw. Will words ken ye more?"

"What's the cure?" asks Dragon steadily, trying without success to keep those images from his mind.

" 'Tisn't. Not even the Fifth World cared beyond vaccine, once it cleared out o' the money places, and then it gone extinct and no one bothered with vaccine even. Huge stores of it," she's reading off the screen, "weapons stuff even then. Couple accidents, nothin' big, guess no one thunk anyone'd use it."

"Well, someone's using it now," says Dragon grimly.

"Mebe. Or mebe Sixth World rise up, bit a chunk out o' the seats o' our collective arses agin. Not the first time somethin' extinct or myth been brought back," and even as he's automatically shaking his head the mercenary finds reluctantly he has to agree with that one. "So that's why you need the deck, girl?"

"Got a meet," says Sybersnake shakily. "Carousel."

"Kiki?" and the Latina almost smiles reflexively, "Yeah."

"She frosty. Sook, tag him along, an' we kosher. Ye'll be using our deck, girl. Deal?"

"Okay ..." Sybersnake's trying to think through this, convulsively swallowing every now and then as the earlier images keep visibly protruding. Her face still hasn't regained its colour. "You mean, like another decker coming in with us?" The barest of nods from the troll confirms it. "Ah -- uhm -- Dragon, you okay with that?"
Sedna
1200 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Hmm," says Solomon slowly, that hint of mischief back in his voice as he nods acknowledgement to Andie's security shopping list, "do you have any idea how much what Sara has, costs?"

The young mage studies him astrally, trying to determine what lies behind the comments, especially the previous one; but most of Solomon's attention is fully on the plans, with a degree of concentration that Andie had never seen in anyone except himself and his teacher (and he sometimes had his doubts about Sara). Oh yeah, and the fixer's definitely Awakened, couple of levels of initiation there for sure.

Like that's really a surprise to someone like Andie. Maybe he's just jealous I thought of it first?

"You will need something at least two or three metres wide for the mechanical room," Solomon was saying. "Ventilation, cooling space behind the coils, human-space room to fix the machinery if you have to. If you move your chimney there ... hmm ... I thought you mentioned earlier that you were thinking of having a small public reading room with a fireplace? But since you have moved your chimney to the opposite side of the warehouse, maybe you have reconsidered."

Solomon's wristphone rings. He glances at the screen, then at Andie, who hasn't moved. "Just bear in mind that 10 metres square is a very large space," he says softly. "You will not feel at all cramped in your living space. You might also wish to sketch in the furniture for your store, get a feel for just how much space you have to work with there. Now, if you will excuse me for a moment ...?"
banditf50
1448 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Pouring himself another class of the sterile water Virgil finally felt his rabid thirst start to subside. Cindy looked as if she was calming down as she was being held ever so gently within the massive arms of Father Bremen, Dragon and Sybersnake had gone to see about the readieness of the car and borrowing a cyberdeck, respectively.

Looks like I have a small window of time to call Inleat and explain why I will be absent today. With any luck he hasn't left his office yet.

"I'm going to step out for a moment to make a phone call Father, please excuse me for a moment."

Sliding past Tiffany on the way out of the tiny room, it looks to Virgil as if she is a bit less frazzeled than she had been a few minutes ago. "I was hoping that you might be able to use your expertiese to see what is the word on the current investigation of the fire that we pulled Cindy from, 824 52nd street in Auburn."

Recieving a small nod from her in recognition Virgil made a mental note to speak with her next time the group got a chance for a breather. Tiffany had shown herself to be a valuable team member, which meant he had a responsibility to become more comfortable with her abilities and limits.

"Thanks for all you are doing for us."

Stepping out into the now empty hallway Virgil activated the voice dialing on his phone, "Dial Inleat."

"Ring. . .Ring. . .." Come on, be in your office, or at least have remembered to forward your office calls to your cell phone.

"Ring . . Ring . .
WinterRat1
09:33:08 Sunday 07 January 2063 – A Redmond Sidewalk

Gail pauses for a moment, and then says, "I've heard of a club called Underground 93, or Underworld 93, something like that, I don't know if it's what you're referring to, but it's the closest I can think of to The Underworld. It's located in Puyallup, I believe. But like I said, I'm not really sure, so you'll probably want to investigate it further. But off the top of my head, that'd be my best guess. Oh I got another call, I gotta get going. Catch you later chummer."

And then she hangs up, leaving John with only a scant lead, but at least, it was more than he'd started with.
Scrapheap
09:33:08 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Stuffer Shak Parking Lot, Redmond

John flips his phone closed and sticks it is his jacket. Then, with a quick glance around, he walks across the lot towards the entrance.

Puyallup, huh? Maybe I should have just stayed out there last night. Well, I guess I should head out there after I check out Nora's usual haunts.

Stopping in front of the heavy door, he punches the buzzer with a steel finger and waits. After a couple of seconds he hears a buzz and a clunk, and reaching out he swings open the door and goes inside. Looking to his left as he enters, he sees the counter-area. Etta stands behind the couter with a portable workpad under her arm, the stylus tucked behind her ear. She's talking to another employee who's sitting on a stool. Both are protected by a wall of bullet-proof glass, making the counter and the area behind it into more of a booth. Etta once told him that the Shak-ers referred to it as "the bunker." There is a heavy steel drawer that could be used to pay via cash and a credstick reader near the seated employee.

They looked up as John came in, both responding to his quick wave. He then pointed to the rear of the store and raised an eyebrow, but his sister shook her head and waved him on before turning back to her conversation. Must be important. Might as well grab breakfast while I wait.

He browsed the frozen-foods section for a second before selected a few Senior Soy's "authentic" breakfast burritos. Quickly tossing them in the microwave, he then walked over and poured himself a large cup of soykaf. After popping a lid on the cup and retrieving his irradiated breakfast, John walked over to an area containing a few wobbly plastic tables and chairs, sat down, and began to eat.

Before too long he was joined by Etta. He watched her sit, nearly losing her balance in the cheap chair, before gesturing at the last burrito with the half-eaten remains of the one in his hand. She glanced doubtfully at the rapidly cooling food, shook her head, and said, "So what's your plan? Did you learn anything yet?"

"I learned that the place that she went might be called Underworld 93. Ring any bells yet?" She shook her head. "Yeah, well other than that, nothing I didn't already know. Mainly that not too many of my friends get up before noon."

Etta clasped her hands together in her lap. "That certainly doesn't sound like much."

"True, but I didn't expect to learn much with the calls. Just wanted people to know I was looking and need to talk to them. Speaking of," he paused to take a drink, "if any Brain Eaters come around today let them know I need to talk to Slim. Then call me. I'm going over there later, but it's always better to be announced."

"Why not go now? It's not too far, right?"

"No, but it IS too early. Someone would be up, but Slim Jim won't be. Wouldn't do any good. No, like I said earlier, I'm going to go to some places where I know she hangs-out. Ask around. It's better than sitting around waiting for a call, and maybe someone knows something." Seeing that his sister wasn't going to take the last burrito, he picked it up and took a bite. Mmmm, cold scrambled-soy.

"Ok, John. You know best. Do you have a picture?"

Thinking it was another one of his sister's weird non-sequiturs, he said "A picture? Of what?"

"Nora! You know, like on the trid. When they're looking for someone they always show around a picture: 'Have you seen this girl?' You know?"

He paused with the burrito halfway to his mouth and stared at his sister. Oh, frag! Why didn't I think of that? Maybe I am too old for this? He quickly stood, pulled out a couple of bills out of his pocket and tossed them on the table. "Yeah, I got one. Listen, I better go. Call me if you talk to any of the Eaters. I'll call you if I find anything." Bending down, he kissed her forehead, grabbing his 'kaf as he did.

Confused at her brother's sudden hurry, Etta stood as well. "Ok, just be careful. And John?" Reaching out, she grabbed his arm as he turned away. "Bring back my baby." Nodding without turning to look at her, he pulled away and went to the door, waiting to be buzzed-out before leaving.

Handing the rest of the burrito to one of the squatters by the dumpster, he hurried across the lot and back the way he came. Frag it! You fraggin' drek-head! Think! Get sloppy like this when it counts, and someone will hand you your hoop on a platter!

Walking through the swirling snow alone with his dark thoughts, it wasn't too long before he was standing in front of the Co-op's familiar security door. He pounded on the door and then waited to be buzzed inside.
Slipshade
05:45:33 Monday 08 January 2063 - 6 Bellevue Way, One Lincoln Tower - 41st Floor - Penthouse

Max awoke to the gentile shaking of Jeeves’s hand on his arm. “You requested that I awaken you just before dawn Master Steiner. Am I free to go?”

Waking up slowly, Max rolls over and looks into the wrinkled face of the hearth spirit standing at his bedside. “Yes of course Jeeves, and thank you,” he says groggily.

The ghostly form of the butler slowly fades from Max’s view as the disembodied voice of Jeeves replies. “Just doing my job sir.”

Max sits up in bed, letting the covers fall off his torso and pool around his waist and stretches. Just the right amount of predawn light spills through the self-polarizing glass of his bedroom wall. Last nights storm had abated leaving the morning not much more than a grey drizzle. Max extracts himself from his bed and moves to a long dresser on the south wall. The dresser is covered with picture frames, their pictures a montage of people and places. One inparticular catches Max’s attention. The frame is nothing special, silver with an engraving at the bottom. “Department of Magic - Class of 2062.” It was probably the best class Max had taught. Quite a number of the students showed real interest and talent. Sandy and Mark, Rita and James, Antoinette and Cassius among others were standing in the quad at the University and in the background of the picture was a young man with short blonde hair and blue eyes. He was dressed in slacks, a black sweater and a sports jacket. He was a good-looking young man that still bore a resemblance to the man now staring at the picture. Max looks into the gold-filigree framed mirror mounted above the dresser. The blue eyes were still the same, but not much else was. The man staring into the mirror had delicate features with the distinct upswept ears and high cheekbones of an elf. His skin was no longer the pale pink of a Caucasian, but a light grey tone, the color of white granite. The short blonde hair faded almost to the point of being white and now grew to the length of his shoulders overnight, no matter how many times he cut it. He was still an attractive man, but it was an exotic beauty, it was as if someone had carved and chiseled his body from the rock that he so resembles, a statue Pygmalion would have been proud of.

‘It still just seems so strange’ he thinks as he runs his clawed hand through his hair, yanking out a knot and tying it back with a rubber band. Taking his eyes off of the reflection in the mirror Max pulls a pair of boxers and black sweatpants from the drawer and puts them on.

Again moving downstairs Max makes his way to his workout room. The room had pretty much gone to waste when he was employed at the university as most of his time was spent in research or teaching his classes. Now that he is unemployed he figures it is a good time to test out all of the equipment he had purchased over a year ago. A rack of free weight and three different benches adorned the East wall. The western and southern walls contained a number of weight machines ment to target specific muscular regions. In the center of the room was a contraption Max dubbed “The Torture Rack.” He was sure it had a real name, like the Cardo-shuttle or the Abo-lizer, but Torture Rack was infinitely more appropriate. Locking himself into the machine Max set its program to level 3 or moderately debilitating as he referred to it.

After an hour of shear torture Max crawls out of the ‘rack and makes his way…slowly…very slowly to the bath, where he strips off his workout wear and steps down into the steaming pool in the center of the bathing room.

“Music…Classical, random”

The soothing sounds of Mozart’s Serenade in Bb Major drift through the room as Max’s lets the warm waters of the bath loosen his muscles.
Cedric Rolfsson
18:48:24 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Milton neighborhood of Tacoma

Erebus set his feet firmly on the grime covered sidewalk and paused, still seated in the cab, and scanned up and down the street. Nothing seemed out of place, most of the garbage was still piled where it had been yesterday, the same rusting hulks adorned the street. Twilight left the street in deep shadows and darkness along the edges and dim light in the street, it made him feel extremely vulnerable. Like being outlined going through a doorway into a darkened room, knowing there were bad guys in the room waiting for you.

He pulled himself smoothly out of the cab, one long pull from sitting to standing to moving swiftly across the sidewalk towards the doorway of the Sunset Apartments. He could see about half a dozen people still out and about on the sidewalks, mostly blue collared workers coming home from a hard day at the nearby Tacoma docks. They all moved quickly but not rushed, none of them wanted to be out on the streets in full darkness. Without turning his head Erebus kept his focus soft and used his peripheral vision to track as much of the street as he could. He would miss details but he'd probably catch movements.

He could feel his heart pumping in his chest and the adrenaline sang along his veins, his boosted reflexes a heartbeat away from kicking in. Every shadowed opening along the street could hold a gunman, snipers could cover almost the whole street from almost any window along the street, he could almost feel the dots from laser scopes crawling across his flesh. Anyone of the people on the street could be here for him, the door he was reaching for could conceal a black bag team waiting for him, there could be a dozen yabos waiting for him in his apartment. He had to fight the urge to drag iron just for the comforting feel of his Predator in his fist.

The entry foyer of the Sunset looked exactly like it always did, old and worn on its way to ancient and worthless, but at least there was no one in the lobby area. Erebus didn't even glance at the elevators, half the time they didn't work right and he was not about to let himself get trapped in one like a rat in a cage. Besides, five flights of stairs wasn't much, and he actually could draw his pistol and tuck it under his jacket at the small of his back and not have one of the neighbors light off their PANICBUTTON systems. To most it would look like he was just steadying the carrying case for his cyberdeck slung on its sling across his back.

The hallway on the fifth floor was empty, when Erebus peeked out of the stairwell.

Good he thought, and moved swiftly to his apartment. The door to apartment looked undisturbed, and he quickly keyed in his passcode on the Maglock he'd installed personally, and darted inside Predator at the ready.

He swept through the apartment, sliding through doorways like a cop on some trid show.

Living room, clear. Kitchen, clear. Bedroom, clear. Bathroom, clear.

Erebus walked out of the bathroom, feeling both relieved and let down. He did this routine everytime he changed apartments. It was a routine he hoped to make a habit, but he still felt funny doing it. He felt like a rabbit jumping at every shadow, and he'd never really pictured himself as being a rabbit.

Its not fear he told himself, its caution. You didn't bother with this routine in Vladivostok and you got jumped walking into your bedroom to change clothes.

Erebus still had no idea how the trio of cutter Amanda had hired had found him but they'd had him cold. The only thing that had saved his butt had been the fact that Ajax had been too impatient to wait in the car for him to come out.

He dropped his stuff on the bed, stripped off his jacket and flopped down on the arm chair and set his pistol on the end table, and just sat for a minute to let his heart rate slow.

Frag this. I'm going to get this monkey off my back, I'm not sure how or when, but frag living like this for the rest of my life. I'm not going to rush this but I'm going to get out from under this mark eventually.

The young elf shook himself like a dog coming out of the water and then got out of the chair, taking the pistol with him, and headed for the bedroom. He need to change into some more appropriate clothing then he wanted to hit the streets, he had people to see and money to make.
Shadowrunner13
19:21:12 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou went home, cleaned himself up, shaved, dug up some cologne in preparation for his evening out. He found a dress shirt and tie that still fit him and made reservations at "The Other Place" for dinner. They would have music to dance to, but if Mioko wanted to go to a club instead, he was ready to drive down to "Dante's Inferno".

"The main obstacle, is that I'm not a great dancer..." he mumbled to himself, as he adjusted his tie in the mirror.

Grabbing his keys for his new ride, he headed for the door, in order to pick up Mioko from the Arcology.
grendel
19:52:41 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Fighting the crush of traffic into downtown on a Friday night, Tenmou listens with half an ear as the radio babbles on about a snowstorm coming midweek. The BMW handled like a dream, with sharp computer-assisted steering and power to spare. All of the ergonomics were adjustable, and he used the dead time in traffic to customize the mirrors, seat position, and instrument cluster display.

His pleasure with the vehicle, though, could not replace the vague unease which still lingered in the back of his mind. How had Akiko Omura afforded such a car? More importantly, why had she given it to him?

Turning off the Intercity onto Renraku Way, traffic began to slow once more. Even though the official statements of the corporation and the UCAS government indicated the crisis inside the Arcology was over, the roadblocks around the massive building remained in place. "Just in case," was the monotonic response from any question directed at the marines manning the concrete barriers. The guard, faceless behind his helmet's protective shield, waved Tenmou past with a bored gesture. His Colt M-23 carbine was slung muzzle down across the chestplate of his hard armor, and Tenmou couldn't help but glance at the weapon as he drove through. 6.8 x 43mm caseless, twenty round clips, SIR with underbarrel grip, weapon light, laser designator, and EOTech reflex sight. Professional.

The massive walls of the Arcology towered over everything on the street, frost lining the armored glass walls. Tenmou, because of his training and his contacts, knew better than most that the security still remaining around the SCIRE was more than "just in case." Given the vastness of the Arcology, and the elusive nature of their opponent, it would be years before the Red Samurai could say that the building was sanitized. Floor levels almost a square kilometer in size were nearly impossible to seal off, and there was no garauntee that enemies were not slipping past security checkpoints into the lower levels as the Samurai pushed higher in the pyramid.

A taxi pulled away from the curb, opening up a spot for the BMW, and Tenmou shook off the morbid speculations about MOUT in anticipation of seeing Mioko again. At just a couple of minutes past eight, Mioko and her friend strode through the crowd at the Arcology's South Entrance, descending the stairs to street level. Tenmou left the car running, exiting the warm interior to stand silently by the front of the vehicle. He did not wave or gesture, trusting Mioko's superior vision to find him. It was almost a physical thing, when her gaze swept across him, bringing a smile to her face.

She wore an Armante long coat, buttoned up and belted about her waist, but the open lower panels revealed black high-heeled boots, and a daringly short skirt. Tenmou couldn't help but admire the play of muscles along her legs as she walked towards him. Her beauty wasn't delicate and ephemeral like Akiko Omura, but rather a fiery inner passion that suffused a body as graceful as a falcon in flight. Her jet black hair, with its non-regulation crimson high-lights, hung in sheets down her back, combed through by the harsh winter wind. Tenmou wondered, briefly, what it would be like to comb his fingers through her hair.

If Mioko was a regal bird of prey, then the woman walking next to her was surely a tigress on the prowl. She favored an Armante walking coat, the shorter length showing off skin-tight crimson pants. Waves of dark fire, driven by LCD fibers woven into the fabric, crawled up her legs. The blood red color perfectly offset her light mocha complexion, and complimented her mahogany eyes. She smiled, brilliantly, beneath Tenmou's gaze, aware of, and perfectly comfortable with, her effect on men.

"Hi, Shitoki!" Mioko pressed her body against Tenmou, rising up on tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "This is my friend, Tanisa."

Tanisa held out her hand, a secretive smile playing across her lips. Tenmou noted that she effected another of the more recent styles: geometric henna tattoos on her hands.

"Nice to meet you," he managed. Tanisa's smile broadened.

"A pleasure to meet you, Shitoki." She touched the corner of her lips with the tip of her tongue, her eyes sliding sideways to find Mioko.

"Mioko has told me so much about you." She laughed to cover Mioko's sudden hiccup of surprise and indignation, sweeping her arms wide.

"But let's get this night of debauchery started! There are a million single men out there all waiting for me!"

As the two women climb into the car, Tenmou wonders for the second time in as many days just what he's gotten himself into.
Scrapheap
09:58:13 Sunday 07 January 2063 – Redmond Free-People's Housing Co-op

Scrapheap took a sip of his rapidly cooling soykaf as Riot knocked on the interior door. Riot was average-sized for a troll, which meant that he could still probably wrap his hand entirely around Scrapheap's head. He hadn't seem surprised when he saw John had returned after leaving less that an hour earlier, but then he rarely showed any emotion other than the scowl he wore now.

The interior door opened to show Judi standing with her hip cocked and her hand on the pistol holstered at her waist. She barked a short laugh as soon as she spotted John. "Don't look so hopeful there, chummer! You ain't even been gone an hour."

Mumbling a "Thanks, chummer" to Riot as the interior door shut, John asked, "You haven't asked anyone?"

"I've asked a couple of guys, but I can't leave my post so I've only been able to talk to people who've stopped by. So far, nobody remembers anything. Most can't even remember the last time they saw Nora."

"Hmm. Well, if it helps it would have been New Year's Eve or right around there, but not any later." A sudden thought struck him and he pulled out Nora's note and handed it to the orc. "Here's the note she left. Look for yourself. I forgot something upstairs, but I'll be right back down." He left Judi reading the note and hurried up to his apartment.

Shutting the door behind him barely muffled the sounds of kids racing up and down the halls. He crossed the small kitchen while draining the last if his soykaf, then tossed the cup into the trash. John then lit a cigarette and quickly looked through the place for a recent picture of his niece. After a few minutes, he decided on one that he'd found in his sister's room. It looked like a school picture, and was a year or so old, but it was well lit and showed her face clearly.

Sticking the picture into his shirt pocket, he looked around again to make sure that he wasn't forgetting anything this time. Then he closed and locked the door before heading downstairs to get the letter back from Judi.
Ecclesiastes
14:16:07 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

CODE
Thank you for using Shadownet, have a nice day.

Todd smiled inwardly as he signed out of the datahaven and quickly found his consciencness back in his LayZMan chair. It takes a lot of time to keep up with the rumormill, but it always paid off to do so in the end. Taking a moment to stretch out his body and get used to the feel of it once more, Todd makes his way over to the window once more to see how things were going on in the meat world. With a quick thought, he activates his P-Sec and checks for new messages. Nothing. Frag I'm bored. Another thought process later, a message is sent out to Chiren.

CODE
I'm bored.  Got some rabit that needs to be chased down its rabit hole?
grendel
14:16:09 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Seattle LTG

The silvery humanoid was small by any measure, but size in the matrix was a useless attribute. It sped with insane purpose along the data pathways of the Seattle LTG, dodging long trains of electronic constructs. Pausing before an innocuous host, it waited impatiently as its access codes were authenticated. The Gatekeeper would not be moved, though, holding the sprite until its permissions were authenticated. Grudgingly, the larger icon let the messenger past. Inside, the host was coded in an exotic hypercube reality, floors, ceilings, walls, and stairways colliding in a mind-bending four dimensional construct. The artfulness of the reality was lost on the messenger, so intent was it on carrying out its assigned task. It sped through the motley assortment of icons and personae, seeking its mistress.

Chiren glanced down at the messenger as it bounced impatiently at her feet, a wry smile crossing her lips. Taking a long drag from her virtual cigarette, she keyed in her access code, waiting for the decryption algorithms to run their course. The silvery humanoid melted into a string of characters, presenting Todd's message to her. With a smile, she turned back to the icon seated across from her. Virtual windows hung in the air around her, data scrolling across the displays. They appeared as shimmering discontinuities in the air, distorting but not blocking anyone's view to her. The information was coded specifically to her view, though, anyone attempting to view it over her shoulders would see only jibberish. Phase cocked her head to the side, the question unasked. Her avatar mirrored her physical gesture perfectly, although its mane of lustrous black hair was in sharp contrast to the short, utility cut the operator favored. Chiren shook her head once.

"Nothing concerning you. Now, is there anything else you need?"

"No, just get back to me as soon as you can." Phase dipped her head once, then dissolved into black mist that slowly faded from view. Chiren worked for a couple more minutes, ensuring that the info searches she had running currently were on track before crafting a reply.

CODE
Funny you should ask.  If you're up for it, it's worth 1000 nuyen if you can get me all the information you can about Dr. Terrence Casimir.  Info's for a third party, so keep your head down.
Ecclesiastes
14:16:11 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Todd grins as the New Message icon pops up in the corner of his vision. Without any thought, the message is decoded and scrolling through his vision. The next instant a reply is capsulated and sent back to Chiren.

CODE
Wiz!  Consider it done.  Whats the time frame?  Got some info upfront to kick off with?  Anything in specific you lookin' for?

Grabbing an energy bar, he heads for the bathroom, figuring it'll be a while before he gets the chance to make use of it and waits for a reply.
grendel
14:17:20 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Seattle LTG

Chiren ignores the bouncing messenger for a full minute while she completes another digital transaction. Finally, she taps the figure on the head, scanning Todd's reply as it materializes, then evaporates. Referencing her request log, she consults the appropriate job number before drafting a response.

CODE
Third party requested 'complete work up'.  No additional information provided.  Target is non-corporate.  Timeline is no longer than forty eight hours.

As the silvery message disappears from the host, she turns back to the new avatar seated across from her. The jackal-headed figure stared back, the black reptilian wings rising from its shoulders shifting every so slightly. Its eyes glowed with inner fire, a clever mask for emotion. One of the clawed hands resting on the table gestured, bringing a small holographic image of a sports car, a Westwind 2000, to life. Chiren quirked a smile, her own fingers dancing a line of quicksilver in the air. The vehicle morphed into a Mercedes roadster. Isomer shook his head. The visual changed again: a real-time surveillance camera view of a woman receiving a massage in the exclusive Etherea Wellness Spa. Chiren tilted her head to the side, tempted by the offer. Isomer took her hesitation as an opportunity to add a visual of the elegant dining room at the Four Seasons Olympic Hotel. Chiren smiled and nodded, offering a shimmering sunburst of compressed data. The icon changed, becoming a glittering scarab in Isomer's hands. The insect crawled up its arm and disappeared behind its back. Isomer stood, bowing slightly, before disappearing into the crowd. Chiren offered a small salute with her hand, that turned into a wave when she saw Necro Tech in the crowd.
Ecclesiastes
The toilet flushed as Todd left the bathroom with a gleam in his eye. Its nice being back out in the real world, doing real things. The thoughts of the past send a shiver down his spine, but he does what he can to let it go.

Jumping back into the cushy LayZMan, he grabs his dataline and jumps back into his home away from home. The Matrix forms around him and Todd quickly glances around. Lately he can't shake the feeling someone is watching him... No there isn't. That stuff is all over now and behind me. He's dead...

Trying to relax, Todd plants a foot on his skateboard and kicks off through this digital reality. Leaving Seattle behind him, Todd rides the datawaves through RTGs towards his destination, Denver. The Nexus stretched out before him, an old underground cityscape. The system was as old as the Matrix itself and was home to the largest database in the world.

User: SK8TR
Pass: ********************

The unbelievably large bouncer who guarded the front door gave Todd a nod as he slowly skated into the underground mall of information. His eyes lingered as the most beautiful woman he'd seen strolled past him, but it was quickly shaken off. Probably some perv guy behind that body anyway. He finally find an empty terminal that he can make some use of.

CODE
Search Terms: Dr. Terrence Casimir
grendel
23:00:04 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

The digital bells of the Cathedral of St. Jude are tolling the eleven o'clock hour when Todd finishes compiling his information. Surprisingly, it wasn't hard to get a line on Dr. Casimir. The man had lived a life in the public domain, making no effort to conceal anything. With a critical eye, Todd glanced over all of the information he'd collected.

CODE

Name:  Casimir, Terrence David
Race:  Caucasian
Height:  177 cm
Weight:  74 kg
Date of Birth:  Aug 14th, 2009
SIN:  5T2G-8U6V-TC09
State of Residence:  Seattle, UCAS
Address:  5004 Mariner’s Island Blvd #8
Employment History:
Employment Status:  retired/self-employed
Previous Employer:  Hypersense Systems Incorporated
Length of Employment:  May 25th, 2041- November 24th, 2060
Reason for Termination:  End of employee contract
Financial History:
Credit History:  Generalization:  Good
Loans/debts outstanding:  None
Education History:
Roosevelt High School, 2023-2026
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 2026-2029, BS:  Computer Science, Summa Cum Laude
Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Thaumaturgey, 2029-2031, MS:  Computer Science focusing on neural net programming
Ren Raku Corporate College, 2031-2038, PhD:  Artificial Cognitive Systems Programming, PhD:  Computer Science focusing on Quantum Computing
Publications:
Synthesizing Intelligence:  neural net design and programming, Macmillan, 2034
Quantum Computing, Macmillan 2039
Machine Mind:  Go and the game of Intelligence, McGraw-Hill, 2047
Gods of the Children:  Investigating Resonance, Oxford University Press, 2058
Family History:
Father:  Albrecht Edward Casimir  1961-2041
Mother:  Mary Louise Casimir nee Johnson  1964-2043
Sister:  Hannah Elizabeth Casimir  2011-2059
Married:  October 2nd, 2031:  Rachel Emma Miroff
Daughter:  Jennifer Louise Casimir, March 27th, 2037
Divorced:  April 11th, 2038, mother awarded sole custody of daughter
DMV History:  UCAS standard operators license issued Aug 20th, 2025
No outstanding tickets
No traffic violations listed within the past five years
Legal History:
No warrants issued within the past ten years
No delinquencies listed in childcare payments
Medical History:
Insurance categorization:  moderate-risk
Cause:  45% genetic predisposition to dysrhythmia leading to congestive heart failure, 68% likelihood of developing Type II diabetes after age 50
Medical Provider:  Doc Wagon Seattle
Medical Profile:  Implants:  datajack, encephalon, Math SPU, display link
WinterRat1
1455 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Dragon shrugs and nods. "You're the decking expert, if it's ok with you, I don't see why it would be a problem. I just came out to talk to Galina about the medical developments, once the topic got onto decking, as far as I was concerned, I'm just along for the ride."
Shadowrunner13
19:53:27 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou slowly pulled away from the curb and struggled to focus on traffic with Mioko sitting beside him. It was almost difficult to keep his eyes off of her, but he did his best to reign himself in.

"I've made dinner reservations at 'The Other Place' for a nice sit down dinner and then we're off to the Inferno afterwards. Any objections?" he asked his two companions.

Looking in the mirror of his new car and seeing Tanisa in the back, with her predatory smile and Mioko beside him, he wondered whether he might draw too much attention to himself, accompanying two bombshells into a place like the Inferno. He quickly pushed the thought from his mind, reminding himself that he was out to enjoy himself tonight.
Sedna
1456 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

After the barest of hesitations Sybersnake nods firmly. "How do I ping him?"

"Ye don't. 'ang on sec --" the troll's pulling out a phone, texting something over it "-- he's been monitoring. All right -- now he's a-waitin' ye, and he'll get hitcher trodes ready. All four o' ye?"

"I'm not hitching," says Sybersnake quickly.

"Never said ye were," returns Galina evenly. "Ye'll see when ye've uploaded. He's in back. Get Virgil, show ye where, once he's be-Grounded."
Bastard
----deleted, sorry wrong thread-----
grendel
19:54:02 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Mioko slides her hand onto Tenmou's thigh, giving it a little squeeze.

"That sounds great, Shitoki."

Tanisa agrees as well, checking her makeup with a small compact from her purse. Snapping the case closed, she meets Tenmou's gaze in the rear view mirror.

"So, Shitoki, nice tattoos by the way, how long have you been in Seattle?"
Ecclesiastes
23:03:36 Saturday 06 January 2063 - The Nexus

Todd looks over all the data he has compiled so far, feeling some satisfaction at a job well done. Scanning over the list of publications, he is a little impressed. Gods of the Children? I'll have to follow up on that sometime. Todd takes the data and folds it nice and neat, encrypting it for Charen's eyes only. He walks over to a nearby delivery shoot and inserts the envelope into the vacuum tube, sending it on its way.

Closing his eyes, Todd feels the Matrix spin around him as he gracfully logs off.
grendel
23:03:36 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Todd's pleasure at a job well done is shattered by the sound of gunfire, shockingly loud. Three stray rounds punch through his door and embed themselves in the far wall. Three rapid loud blasts are followed by a storm of automatic fire. In six seconds, it's all over. The silence following is unearthly, and broken only by a loud crash in the hall and a thump on Todd's door.
Shadowrunner13
19:54:02 Friday 05 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Shitoki gives Mioko a smile before looking up at the mirror to meet Tanisa's eyes.

"Thank you," he says, self-consciously touching the kanji on his cheekbone.

"I've been living here for..." Shitoki paused to think before finishing, "just over three years now. Took a little getting used to, but I'm getting there."

Shitoki smiled. "So, what do you do for a living Tanisa? I have to assume your work within the Arc, or at least within Renraku, being friends with Mioko..."
Ecclesiastes
23:03:45 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Apartment 875, Parkewood Village Apartments, Tacoma

Nearly wetting himself in fear, Todd scrambles to hit his PANIC Button. He then turns and scrambles to crawl under his bed and watch the door. With a thought, his cyber-installed PSec puts out a call to barry Weisenberg.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012