Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Morgannah
19:57:16 Friday 05 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

Clear.

Nodding to herself, she strides from one end of her tiny room to the other, tucking bare legs beneath her as she settles in beside the dingy bed and uses her disposable phone to place one last call.

"Tino? Yes, it's me. New phone. No, I'm sorry .. just a rough day. How are you?"
grendel
19:57:34 Friday 05 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

"Bella, signora, those days come to everyone. I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is I know who your employer is. The bad news is he left me another binder for you."
Morgannah
19:58:42 Friday 05 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo sat up straighter, instantly alert.

"Did he drop it off himself or through an intermediary? What time did this happen?" She paused, forced a smile, and continued more pleasantly. "That's good news on both counts, Signore. Perhaps you are able to discuss this later on this evening?"
grendel
19:59:04 Friday 05 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago laughs.

"Of course, bella signora, you may stop by any time tonight and we can discuss this at length. I'll have a glass of merlot waiting for you."
Morgannah
19:59:37 Friday 05 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

"Ahh, words after my own heart, Tino. I will see you tonight."

Cosmo let out a long breath as she stalked toward her duffel, mentally trying on and throwing off a dozen outfits until she settled on one for the evening. Dress, gun, and knife were laid across her tiny bed, accompanied a few seconds later by shoes, silver jewelry, and a baffling assortment of other silky garments. The thought of changing again and going out was almost enough to put a smile on her face; it was still a game she enjoyed, after all, even if she'd be playing with a heavier heart this time.

Rest first, though. You're no good to anyone if you can't stay sharp..

22:15:06 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

The creature that floated through the restaurant's sparkling archway represented the very best of Cosmo's work. She was stunning, of course, with the same cascading blonde waves that she had come to enjoy so thoroughly this week. The scant black dress she'd chosen for the night suited her perfectly; a simple sheath with just enough movement around the hem to draw attention to shapely stocking-clad legs and razor-sharp stilettos.

All meticulously chosen to draw the attention away from her face, naturally, though some care had been taken in that respect as well. A pair of large, lovely, and impossibly blue eyes stood out from a face that shone as pale as the moon. It was all her, of course, though all but the keenest eyes would be able to notice. She smiled easily now, or seemed to, as she glanced about the dining room for her dear host.
grendel
22:19:31 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago was expecting Cosmo. But he wasn't expecting her. It took him a minute to realize that the delectable creature in black was the operator he was scheduled to meet. Catching her eye after a moment, he beckoned her over, sparing a wink for the dusky haired latin maid seated next to him.

"Ah, bella signora, it is good to see you again. May I introduce Magdalena, a very dear friend of mine who's going to go get me another mojito."

He leaned over and whispered something into Magdalena's ear, kissed her cheek, and sent her on her way with an affectionate pat to one well rounded cheek. Smiling, he offered Cosmo the seat across from him as well as the glass of merlot already poured.

"You look ravishing tonight, signora."
Morgannah
22:20:48 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo watched Magdalena slink off toward the bar with no small amount of amusement before turning sparkling eyes to her fixer.

"Grazie, Signore. In my professional opinion, though, I'd say you have a much better chance at being ravished this evening than I." She lifted the delicate glass in salute, a dimple peeking out of one cheek.

"Tino, I am impressed."
grendel
22:21:25 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago chuckles heartily.

"Signora, I wouldn't dream of taking advantage of someone as young and impressionable."

He lowers his voice conspiratorially.

"If, however, she's planning on taking advantage of me, who am I to say no?"

He chuckles again, sipping from his own glass, before pushing another black plastic folder across the table to her.

"Anyway, here is what your employer left for you."
Morgannah
22:22:17 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

The bane of her existence.

Laughing softly to conceal a near-physical reaction to the ominous black binder, she sipped carefully from her glass and winked at the laughing Italian.

"It would be your duty, me amico, in that case. You wouldn't want to hurt her feelings, after all."

Cosmo lifted the folder and smiled, feigning indifference as she flipped through its pages. Her voice was light and casual, as though she was asking after a mutual friend and not the man who had turned her world upside down .. someone for whom she would gleefully return the favor as soon as the opportunity presented itself.

"Mm, grazie. What can you tell me about him, Tino?"
grendel
22:23:02 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago takes a drink of water, glancing surreptitiously to the left and right before answering.

"He's young. Dark hair. White eyes. He's what they call otaku, a child of the matrix. I don't know his tribe, he was dressed in business attire, and he had a pair of bodyguards with him. Says his name is Kald."

The binder is the same, but the instructions inside are different. Instead of blueprints and a list of serial numbers, this time there is an unmarked plastic maglock keycard, several high resolution digital images of an enclosed bed Ares Roadmaster cargo vehicle. Behind that is what appears to be a block wiring diagram for the installation of some kind of electronics. And then, the ubiquitous latitude and longitude.
Morgannah
22:24:16 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

The stream of curses that ran through her mind right then would have made a pirate blush. Out of respect for Tino, however, she kept her face impassive and nodded slowly.

"When did he drop this off?"

Her fustration was not at an end, however, as she glanced through commercial stills from an Ares matrix site. Just a normal Roadmaster with plans for attaching a .. box to the nav system. Cosmo flipped the keycard about her fingers, nodding again when a business card fell into her lap.

Motel 8? Wait, Otaku?

"How much can you tell me about the Otaku?"
grendel
22:26:19 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Magdalena choses that time to reappear with Drago's mojito, and he sips from the drink with a thoughtful expression on his face.

"They call themselves the children of the matrix. They're organized into tribes. No one really knows along what lines they divide themselves, but it's uncanny how they seem to know who belongs where. I don't know much about them, but they're rumored to have unique abilities inside the matrix. Supposed to be able to deck without programs, to be able to infiltrate UV systems, move like ghosts in the machine. Not sure how much of it I believe, but I know they do exist."

He pauses for a moment to sip from his drink again.

"You know who you should talk to? I've got a friend who does a lot of work online. Goes by the name of Oracle. You'll have to go to a virtual meeting, though, he doesn't do any face to face, but I can set it up if you're interested."
Morgannah
22:28:24 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo smiled companionably at Magdalena and refused to be put off by her re-appearance. Healthy suspicion rose to the surface of her mind, however.

"Grazie. Very much so, though I might need a bit of coaching first." She paused as well, sipping her merlot, considering how to proceed. The world of the Matrix was almost as much of a mystery to her as the unseen Astral but at least she had a chance at learning a bit about the former and had been meaning to do so for a while now.

"Hmm. How much would we be looking at to set up a workable 'deck? Nothing fancy, of course," she winked and sipped again, "but adequate for a novice?"
grendel
22:29:47 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago shakes his head.

"Expensive, at least twenty thousand. And a week to get things right. There are easier ways of setting things up, though. UCLA has an excellent matrix lab."
Morgannah
22:30:03 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

She suppressed a shudder at the thought of leaving her body unattended with so many complete strangers nearby, much less in a "lab" of any sort.

Twenty thousand in exchange for some peace of mind? It's a deal at five times the price .. but .. frugality first.

"I would have to tour the facilities beforehand. What else would we have in the way of options?"
grendel
22:30:53 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"There are private locations as well, cubicles to be rented by the hour similar to a coffin motel, full access as long as you bring your own deck or your own set of trodes. Or, you could try and arrange the services of an info broker or decker of your own, to take you along as a hitcher."
Morgannah
22:32:35 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Trodes might just be the cheapest way to go, but .. Cosmo nodded slowly, unconsciously smoothing her hair.

"The trodes, then. Could you also round up a list of these points of access, for your usual fee, of course?" She smiled charmingly and pulled a folded sheet of paper from her handbag, handing it to Tino with a playful wink. "I've prepared this as well, if you don't mind another order, Signore."
grendel
22:33:02 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Drago glances over the list as he takes another sip from his cocktail. Magdalena stares around the restaurant, making only a cursory effort to conceal her boredom. The heavyset fixer nods to himself as he mentally ticks off items on Cosmo's list.

"It's going to take some time for this gear, signora, possibly as much as three or four days. The list I can have for you almost immediately, and the trodes will be three hundred. If you'd like to wait, perhaps have another drink?"
Morgannah
22:33:44 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"It will not be necessary to procure everything at once. Transport, the list, and those trodes are my priority and I'm willing to pay top dollar to get mobile again. As for the rest," she pauses, half-smiling at Magdalena, "I am able to wait a short while."

"Take your time, Tino. I've probably skipped a meal or two today so if you don't mind, I'll bring my drink to the bar and order there."
grendel
22:34:11 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"I'll pass the info along to Mario, who's tending bar tonight. Expect it within the hour."

Drago tips his glass to Cosmo before draining the cocktail and reaching for the battered case of his Quantum data unit in order to process her request. Magdalena sighed, sorting noisily through her purse for a compact to check her impeccable make-up with.
Morgannah
22:34:52 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"Grazie, I will not keep you any longer. Please, enjoy the rest of your evening and forgive my interruption."

Cosmo inclines her head and smiles at the pair before rising gracefully and turning to make her way toward the bar. She waved the menu away with a wink and ordered the evening's special along with a plate of bruschetta and another glass of merlot.

23:41:18 Friday 05 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

The meal was as delicious as she knew it would be; she had developed a passion for scallops during her time at the School and found that this evening's slightly piquant butter sauce highlighted their tender sweetness to perfection. The privacy she had been afforded made dinner that much more enjoyable, allowing her to pen a few notes while she ate. Cosmo smiled at Mario as he placed two take-away boxes in front of her .. one would hold the eye-boggling amount of pastries she had ordered in place of dessert and the other, she surmised, contained the trodes.

She took a deep breath, finally handing a folded sheet of paper to the bartender as she slotted her credstick. The tip she left was generous, to say the least.

"Would you see that Signore Drago receives this? Grazie."

It was a short letter, penned in one of the elegant cursive scripts she'd perfected some years ago:

Would you keep an ear to the ground for any 'tech heads' that might be upgrading their equipment? As much as I adore new things, a secondhand cyberdeck (with a few alterations, of course) might be easier to track down in this case. Payment, cash or otherwise, will be negotiable, naturally.

. I am also looking for the ba m gentleman that interrupted our Tuesday meeting. We'll start at one thousand for whatever you can find for me.

Thank you again, Signore,

~C

After several revisions, that note had been the best she could come up with. A bit of a frown played across Cosmo's features as she 'floated' out of the restaurant and into the awaiting night. It was better to know than not, of course.

Wasn't it?
grendel
00:01:01 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

The LED readout on the bedside table sent a slight shiver down Cosmo's spine as she remembered another digital time in the not so distant past. The hotel room was dark and empty, filled only with the hollow sounds of the city outside. With a sigh, she knelt by the small efficiency fridge to put her leftovers in.
Morgannah
00:01:03 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Trade Winds Hotel, Los Angeles, CFS

Four days, twenty three hours, and one minute, she grimaced, closing the tiny fridge with much more force than necessary, and what have I learned?

Cosmo stalked across the hotel room, needing to move, to act, to give her body something to do while her mind waded through puzzles that only grew more and more complicated as she tried to pull them apart.

Two thefts .. one hit .. contracted by Otaku? No, that can't be right; the Kalds are lieutenants; their soldiers are older, stronger. Khaki jumpsuits. Standard issue hints at greater organization and the hierarchy confirms it .. but who leads? A Kald in a suit is still a Kald, after all, and the binders have to come from somewhere. Server parts and Otaku make sense, sort of, but why the hit?

She paused, mid stride, an unprocessed image of crashing waves and mirrored windows hovering in the back of her mind. The cabin cruiser along Rockport Beach. N41335. An identification number?

One more thing to check into. Draw the lines .. find the connection.

Lines .. lines.
Her restless pacing continued. No, a web. A Spider.. placing every thread just so. Organized. Methodical. Spirits, he could have been at this for years. But why bring in freelancers when there's an army of grunts and lieuts already in place? Why me? Someone inside knows at least as many details as my fixer did, but that was Seattle .. two years ago .. and these haven't exactly been contract negotiations, either. The timing has to mean something. Again, deliberate. Why?

She spun about, a low growl tearing through the otherwise silent room. If she knew enough that backing out on Kalds and Co. would get her killed, then why wasn't anything making any bloody sense?! Cosmo fumed, knowing that someone had made this personal by bringing her, specifically, into this crazy web; she would have been issued a jumpsuit, tac vest, Alpha, and Pred otherwise .. or been left to rot in her 'storage chamber.'

It didn't take long to make up her mind, naturally, and she was suited up and ready to go within ten minutes. One of the locations on Tino's list was within ten kilometers, a brief cab ride away....
grendel
00:24:33 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Hive Mind, 2033 Carver Blvd, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo double checked the number printed on the disposable plastic keycard issued by the registration machine on the ground floor, comparing it with the badly worn stencil on the cubicle door in front of her. 4R20. Slotting the card, she tugged open the reinforced plastic panel, grimacing mentally at the stale air that puffed out of the narrow coffin-like enclosure. It reeked of disinfectant and cheap air freshener. With a sigh, she pitched her bag in, before following headfirst.

The door closed automatically behind her, cutting out the dim hallway lighting in favor of the industrial white illumination from the glowstrips tacked along the overhead seams. The flatscreen display on the ceiling flickered to life, the welcome graphic being replaced by the ready display of the Hive Mind's host as well as the digital counter in the corner representing her current tab.

Reaching into her bag, Cosmo withdrew the shrinkwrapped plastic package the bartender had given her several hours earlier. The packaging surrendered easily to her clasp knife, and she unrolled the netlike set of trodes. Pulling out her ponytail, she ran her hands across her hair to smooth it down before cupping the interface net in her hands and settling it on her head. It wasn't that her hairstyle would have interfered with the connections, just that it was uncomfortable to lay on for any length of time. Careful not to dislodge the trode set, she unwound the datacable from its plastic storage pod and clipped it into the jack on the sidewall.

Taking a deep breath, she closed her eyes and activated the interface link, feeling reality dissolve around her.
Moirdryd
02:40 Sunday January 7th, 2063 - Cao Jaan`s Halfway House- Redmond Barrens

Feeling glad he had'nt indulged too deeply of his night out with Portia, Knight's senses came up sharp as he was addressed by the troll. He felt the re-assuring click as Rosekiss moved that all important half inch in his grip meaning she would draw and cut in a single smooth motion.

" Null persp chica, chummer of Cao's, crashing at his doss tonight. Scan?"

Knight deliberately let his voice slurr a touch, hoping his natural accent would also add to the impression he was more inebriated than the couple of shots he'd had. In the same moment as he speaks his grip is re-angling itself on Rosekiss for most efficiency and coiling knotwork patterns of power begin to form themselves in his mind. First and foremost of which comes a gentle swirl of silvery lines interlacing into themselves in an almost hypnotic fashion.

With his Stun spell ready to be unleashed Knight turns affecting a touch of a stumble, fingers still light and ready upon Rosekiss, and takes a few steps towards the doorway to the Halfway House.

Morgannah
00:24:35 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

There was always something odd and mildly unnerving about slipping into the artificial landscape of the Matrix. No matter how often she made herself travel here, Cosmo could never shake the feeling that something was wrong .. that this place was perhaps more dangerous than even she believed. A quick mental shudder played across her featureless avatar for a moment. Thoughts like those would have to be put aside.

The room she found herself in was small, dingy, and completely bare of furnishings beyond the austere door directly in front of her. A moment's travel into the hall revealed that the building was nearly identical to its meat-world counterpart. 'Well that's something, at least,' she mumbled, her slender pixelated form cruising toward a nearby information kiosk. There were fleeing thoughts of visiting an online boutique to do something about her lackluster appearance, of course, but this was the sort of anonymity she would have killed for at any other time.

Besides, there's always time to shop .. later.

Cosmo couldn't help the slight smile that twisted across her lips as she paused in front of an antique looking open-air stand. Glossy magazines and newspapers were stacked haphazardly against one another, all seemingly poised to fall in on one small elderly man in the center. He seemed completely oblivious to the dangerous clutter, of course, as well as everone and everything around him as he sat hunched over a battered paperback novel. It was a perfectly charming scene and one that was surely designed to appeal to a specific (and obviously sentimental) demographic. She loved it on sight and quickly approached the owl-eyed man.

"Excuse me. I'm looking for a bit of news and I was wondering if you'd be able to point me in the right direction...."
grendel
00:24:41 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

"Good morning, citizen! We offer access to all major search engines as well as corporate news sources. Please indicate the subject you wish to search for?"

The icon holds out a dusty volume, opening it up to a central page that flickers through the displays of half a dozen search engines, each available in the major languages. Additional books highlight themselves as Cosmo's eyes scan across them, advertising their ability to provide easily packaged, commercially satisfying, corporate sanitized answers.
Morgannah
00:24:43 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Cosmo grimaced at the prospect of wading through so much pre-filtered claptrap, necessary evil though it was.

"City of Los Angeles news, please. Samples of current events articles over the last week starting with the most recent."
grendel
00:31:28 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

After a moment's hesitation, during which the book's pages display a Nerps ad, information begins to scroll. The search algorithm has pulled headlines from all sections of all major Los Angeles news sources. Much of it isn't useful, but several articles immediately raise flags.

- No Leads in Warehouse Break-In
Lone Star seeks burglars responsible for theft from FTL Matrixware.

- Electronics Stolen from Docks
Port Authority security forces at a loss to solve mysterious thefts.

- AMI Networking Suffers Theft
Team of thieves ransack corporate facility.

- Retired National Park Supervisor Found Dead

- Shooting at Popular Beach Leaves Two Dead

- Break-in at Lab Destroys Seismic Data
Morgannah
00:31:58 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

The smile that curled across her lips was both pleased and mildly amused as she scanned the first few titles. Burglars? Thieves? It was flattering that a team was thought to have done what she accomplished alone .. if she had indeed operated alone.

Had the Kalds helped her without her knowing?

As much as Cosmo craved information about those two small boys, she resolved to cover everything else first. To start at the beginning and work her way through.

"No Leads in Warehouse Break-In," hmm? Let's see ....
grendel
00:32:25 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

No Leads in Warehouse Break-In

Lone Star Detectives are searching for a pair of thieves responsible for a theft of electronics from FTL Matrixware earlier in the week. The brazen evening raid included the assault on two employees as well as a guard of the facility. The thieves managed to disable security cameras in the warehouse section and escape with a dozen electronic components valued at over one hundred thousand nuyen. Lone Star believes that this robbery is linked to other, recent break-ins of other corporations supplying electronics and computer technology. Lead detectives on the case indicate that the robberies are most likely the work of a gang seeking to finance other criminal vices.
Morgannah
00:33:17 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Two, huh. Overwatch would have covered more than just the warehouse; I wonder if Rob Haney has fessed up to being the second thief. I wonder who the second injured employee is, though....

She was careful to scan the article twice, making a mental note to check a week or two previous when time permitted. There were other thefts before these, perhaps there was enough information present to piece something together. It was understandable that the casualties of her job had been blown out of proportion, if not the scale of what was actually stolen.

No need to exaggerate past one hundred large, though.

On to the docks..
grendel
00:33:42 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Electronics Stolen from Docks

Los Angeles Port Authorities are seeking the public's help in solving a baffling series of thefts from the corporate docks. In a press conference Friday, the Lieutenant Scott Moran detailed the questiones surrounding the crimes. The thieves operate entirely at night, entering the harbor most likely via a small rubber boat. They board cargo vessels moored at the docks, making their way to the interior holds where they break into the sealed containers. The thieves choose containers that are difficult to observe directly, and often evidence of the crime is only discovered days later when the vessels are being off-loaded. So far, no security camera has successfully captured an image of the thieves, and Port Authority police believe that they may be employing magical means of concealment. If anyone has any information regarding these crimes, they are urged to contact the Los Angeles Port Authority.
Morgannah
00:34:28 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Cosmo nodded briefly, storing that bit of information away but not gleaning anything particularly useful from it either. With no information regarding what had been stolen, exactly, there was nothing to say that this was even connected. The "thieves" were good, though, if they'd gone back several times and left so little of themselves behind.

She smiled, wondering if "magical concealment" had indeed been employed as she waited for the next article to load.
grendel
00:34:55 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

AMI Networking Suffers Theft

A team of robbers, working with vicious efficiency, ransacked the storage facility at AMI Networking ealier this week. Bypassing external security, three of the thieves engaged in a running gunfight with the guard team, while their companions loaded a vehicle with over two hundred thousand nuyen worth of sensitive electronic components. The thieves then managed to withdraw behind a screen of smoke and flash grenades. Lone Star detectives, working in concert with AMI Networking's corporate security, suspect that the robbers were hired by an opposing corporation in an effort to delay and disrupt AMI Networking's bid to supply Los Angeles with an improved fiber optic backbone for the city's network.
Morgannah
00:35:13 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

It was what she'd expected to see, more or less. Three thieves in a running gunfight (she had been running and they had been shooting at her, after all), tremendously valuable merchandise stolen with vicious efficiency. Who needed fiction when the news could prove to be so entertaining?

The last part could be pure speculation (like detectives pointing the finger at a fundraising gang) but it could not be discounted. Cosmo would simply have to dig deeper.
grendel
00:35:40 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Retired National Park Supervisor Found Dead

Responding to an emergency call by neighbors, Doc Wagon paramedics discovered the body of Michael Cullan on the floor of his Pomona home. While the investigation is on-going, a source close to the family indicated that Cullan had been in poor health for some time, part of the reason for his retirement from his post as National Parks Supervisor last year. Cullan, a graduate of UCLA with a doctorate in geology and conservation, served as both state park advisor for three administrations before acceding to the post of National Parks Supervisor.
Morgannah
00:36:03 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Although Cullan's death didn't appear to have anything to do with the events surrounding her, the article leaped out at her nevertheless. Something was not right .. but unless the murder affected her immediately it would not be up to her to look into it. Lieutenant Scott Moran and the reasons behind the AMI job were still her best leads. The most she could do with this was verify the date of the publication.

It was only after half a minute of stalling that Cosmo moved from this article to one that was still difficult to think about. From a murder that she could read about with complete impartiality to a shooting that might yet unravel her mind....
grendel
00:37:53 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Shooting at Popular Beach Leaves Two Dead

In what Lone Star is calling a cold blooded execution, two children were killed at Rock Beach today. The victims were on board a fishing boat enjoying the late afternoon sunshine when an unknown assailant fired from the bluffs overlooking the beach. Witnesses say between four and six shots were fired, although police sources indicate each child was only struck once. Detectives aren't saying what prompted the shootings, although they maintain that it is probably linked to organized crime. Anyone with information about the shooting is urged to contact Lone Star.
Bastard
dead.gif sorry wrong board
Morgannah
00:38:28 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Well .. what did you expect?

Cosmo paused, almost glad to be so far from her body as the words "cold blooded execution" all but jumped out at her. The lack of any information about her targets was disheartening, of course, but could she really bring herself to contract outside assistance at this stage?

She would have grumbled, had her avatar been better equipped, as she 'flipped' to the final article.
grendel
00:39:05 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Vandals Destroy Lab Equipment

In what Los Angeles Country Sheriff's deputies are calling an act of juvenile vandalism, thousands of megapulses of statistical and experimental data were destroyed Thursday night. The information, stored in the California Department of Geology labs at the Irvine Technology park, contained detailed files from both the UCAS Geological Survey as well as corporate and University of California studies. Dr. Edwin Miller, director of the Geology Department at UC: Irvine called the destruction "a real blow to our studies of fault lines and mineral deposits in the area, as well as our conservation efforts." The Sheriff's office refused to comment on whether they had any suspects of leads, but sources close to the investigation say that deputies are close to identifying the culprits.
Morgannah
00:40:17 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

It wasn't much of a leap to group this crime with the death of Michael Cullan, even if it was only for the sake of organization at this point.

Retired National Park Supervisor Found Dead; Vandals Destroy Lab Equipment.

Geology .. local mineral deposits and faultlines, conservation. If Cullan did -not- die on his own is it possible that he was linked to whatever was stored in the California Department of Geology labs?

She shrugged. Interesting, though none of her business at the moment. The next grouping of articles was fairly straightforward:

No Leads in Warehouse Break-In; AMI Networking Suffers Theft; Electronics Stolen from Docks.

Two of the three major electronics heists this week were most certainly her business while the other was a list of jobs she would have been proud to add to her résumé. Perhaps, with a compiled list of what her 'employers' have received, she could begin to decipher what, exactly, they intend to do with the stolen electronics. Learning about the thefts at the corporate docks was a logical step and entirely within her abilities.

Cosmo took a brief moment to consider the article that didn't fit with anything thus far. The .. murder of two small boys was punishment for something or perhaps a warning .. but for whom? She turned to the program in front of her.

"N41335. What is this?"
grendel
00:40:46 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

The expert program digests the request with a flicker.

"The data string appears to be a vessel registration number. Motor vehicle registration information is available at the California Department of Motor Vehicles host. Watercraft registration information is available at the California Department of Natural Resources host. Aircraft registration information is avaialble at the Los Angeles Offices of the California Free State Aviation Administration host."
Morgannah
00:41:04 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Los Angeles LTG

Cosmo nodded to the program in front of her and left without a word, speeding toward the California Department of Natural Resources between one blink of an eye and the next. She barely paused in front of the host, a sparkling office complex with mirrored windows, before dashing through the nearest building's double doors. Had she a face, she would have smiled at the rather drab looking receptionist.

"The location of your Los Angeles offices, please, and their hours of operation?"

"915 Wilshire Blvd Suite 10, Los Angeles, California. Our hours are eight to four, every day. Is there anything else I can assist you with today?"

00:42:17 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Hive Mind, 2033 Carver Blvd, Los Angeles, CFS

It was always a bit disconcerting, slipping back into her own body after spending even a bit of time in the Matrix, so she gave herself a good, long count to ten, focusing on her breath .. rhythmically flexing her hands as she listened for any sounds outside the tiny room.

Clear.

Cosmo placed the trodes in one of her bag's mesh pockets and grimaced as she noticed that Tino had yet to leave a message on her phone. Of course he has other things on his mind, she amended, chuckling as she remembered that her fixer was having drinks with a friend. So I'll give him a few hours at least, but in the meantime ..

Long, gloved fingers fished the business card from her jacket pocket.

.. let's hit the Motel 8.
grendel
02:01:48 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Motel 8, Los Angeles, CFS

A carbon copy of a dozen other cheap hotels throughout the greater Los Angeles basin, the four story block structure sits at the end of primary artery, surrounded by worn and faded houses, twenty four hour liquor stores and stuffer shacks, and the gray pressed plastic cubes of light industrial compounds.

Climbing the stairs to the third floor, Cosmo deftly avoids the piles of lint and trash gathered in the corner of each landing. The keycard opens room 314, and Cosmo slips inside with a glance up and down the hall. A musty smell pervades the room, the walls yellow with cigarette smoke, the bedside lamp throwing a fitful fan of illumination around the room.

Three large ABS plastic cases sit in the center of the room, two of them oversized, a meter by a meter by fifty centimeters. The third is a standard fifty by fifty by twenty centimeters, toolkit sized.

Harsh halogen floods outside the window draw her attention, and Cosmo grimaces when she recognizes four Ares Roadmasters parked in a lot across the street outside the window. Apparently her target had already been selected.
Morgannah
02:03:12 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Motel 8, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo glanced about the room, eyes narrowed behind pale green lenses as she checked every spectrum available to her. Satisfied when everything seemed clear enough, she quietly closed herself into the filthy room and crouched beside the plastic cases.

Looks liiiiiike .. quality automotive toolkit, new. Four 'black boxes,' unknown manufacturer but nice, clean work. Tight. Boxes will interface with nav and control system hardware .. indicates remote access. Not bad. Straightforward installation but fine control .. thirty minutes per, maybe.

She only allowed herself a moment to sit back on her heels, quite pleased with herself, before hauling herself to the room's tiny window. Of course installation wasn't going to be the problem.

A bloody building supply company. Secure lot. Full. Delivery machines, not many cars. Maybe 80 meters to a side, 4 meter chain link fence with monowire on top, halogen floods to constant low-light level, security cameras on the central building. Two points of entry: oversized gates with cameras over the readers, keycard access .. completely useless. Should be access denial and containment. Damn them.

We'll go with wire clippers .. western side near the southwest corner. Adjacent to the Roadmasters with cover from the central cameras. Nearby buildings .. Cosmo paused, scanning around the company lot for other cameras that might be a problem, Stuffer shack. External camera and too much activity for hard sabotage. Aerosol can, then, and .. a teenager should do the trick.

Her own nylon duffel was opened, then, fingers flying through its contents, selecting several pieces and setting all the rest aside. Sneaking into the compound wouldn't be difficult on its own, but lugging 45 kilos of automotive parts while sneaking could prove problematic. Cosmo took all of a minute to shed her more useless clothing and suit up for work, lashing the large ABS cases together with nonreflective tape at the last, enabling her to carry everything at once at the cost of some flexibility.

She rose, testing the weight of her selected gear, and stalked from one end of the room to the other to become familiar with its distribution. Satisfied thus far, she set the pack aside and turned resolutely toward the door.
Morgannah
02:08:36 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Motel 8 Parking Lot, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo leaned against the bumper of an old model Eurocar, not quite needing to feign boredom as she watched the Stuffer Shack across the street, keeping an eye out for the 'right' sort of person for the job she had planned.

Late teens, brash, posturing, arrogant ..
grendel
02:11:08 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #391 Parking Lot, Los Angeles, CFS

Jenks sucked down the last of his beer before lofting the bottle across the street towards the Alvarez Building Supply Company. Gutter cheered as the glass shattered, his ragged cry cut off as he toppled over and lay giggling on the ground. Half-empty aerosol cans littered the ground around him. Bobo grunted, swinging a heavy boot into Gutter's ribs. The tweeker was so high he didn't even feel it. Jenks reached for another bottle, cursing the chill of the night.
Morgannah
02:14:28 Saturday 06 January 2063 - Stuffer Shack #391 Parking Lot, Los Angeles, CFS

She watched the byplay between the three teens for quite a while, studying them with the practiced indifference of a trained huntress within the herd. When it looked as though there were only three bottles of beer left and one of the three had all but passed out, Cosmo approached, heels clicking sharply against the asphalt, avoiding the camera's line of sight by leaning casually against the wall.

"Fun night?"

Her smile was a slow, deliberate curve of metallic blue lips as her gaze wandered from the three of them to the assorted bottles and cans scattered across the lot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012