Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Morgannah
18:28:07 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

"You could, I suppose," she laughed softly, her eyes raking him from head to toe and then back up again. "But I don't know how well we'd do at leaving on time...."

Accepting the single orchid, Cosmo sniffed appreciatively, smiling warmly as she set the bloom in with the small bouquet from last time. She disappeared down the hallway to her bedroom with nothing more than a lustful glance over one shoulder but didn't really expect to be followed.

It took less than half a second to decide between the three sets of clothing laid out across her bed and barely more than a minute for her to slip into the tailored slacks and a stylish jeweled top that was nearly the same hue as her skin. She'd dusted her chest, neck, and arms with more of the subtle shimmering powder and left her hair falling loose, concealing a pair of long platinum earrings.

Cosmo retrieved a black cashmere trench from the closet and leaned casually against the doorjamb, lofting an eyebrow.

"You were interested in leaving on time, weren't you?"
grendel
18:28:25 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska smiles, stepping close to Cosmo, his body centimeters away. Slowly, he reaches past her, his eyes fixed on hers, his breath warm on her cheek, before opening the door. The moment stretches, until Cosmo turns and slips out the doorway.

The sleek gray sports car awaits the pair, and Caska once more hands her in to the passenger seat. As he takes the street again, she lets her fingertips trail across his thigh.

"Still not going to tell me where we're going?"

He shrugs in an offhand manner. "To the drive-in, like you asked."

Cosmo chuckles throatily. "You are such a liar."

The ride lasts half as long as last time, and Cosmo does entertain a moment of doubt when the car comes to a stop. The buildings are stooped and worn, the street narrow and strewn with trash and broken auto carcasses. Figures twitch in the shadows, scavengers sensing the arrival of predators. Caska offers his arm, smiling as Cosmo slips her right through his left, and he leads her down the block to an old style theater. The worn marquee is empty, most of the light strips burned out or torn down. Cosmo glances at her date as he holds the door, wondering if, perhaps, this is some kind of joke.

At total odds with the exterior of the building, the lush interior remains intact. The black and white tiled floor gleams beneath old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, and a brace of meter tall brass stanchions support braided red velvet ropes. Behind the counter stands an older Chinese gentleman, owlish eyes blinking slowly behind oversized spectacles. Caska produces two tickets, which the man accepts with a smile, tearing each in half and giving the stubs back.

"Popcorn?"

The surreality of it all brings a dimple to Cosmo's cheek, and she nods.

"A large and two cokes." Caska drops a stack of bills onto the counter as the old man fills a liter tub with popcorn and drowns it in salt and butter sauce. Caska hands Cosmo her drink, cradles the tub of popcorn in the crook of his arm, and indicates the curtained entrance with a nod of his head.

"Shall we?"

"By all means," murmurs Cosmo, intrigued. The theater is a picture of the past: row upon row of red velvet seats standing ready, while the balconies overhead still wear their ornate crowns of gold leaf. Murals depicting scenes from all eras of the theater crowd the ceiling overhead. Except for the two of them, the theater is completely empty. Caska walks them down the center aisle until they're halfway down, before moving in six chairs. The moment they're settled, the house lights dim and the curtain raises. The screen flickers, and the music rises, hauntingly familiar. It all hits home when the first words superimpose themselves on the screen, and the solemn voice begins to read.

With the coming of the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully or desperately toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point. But not everybody could get to Lisbon directly...
WinterRat1
?? : ?? : ?? - Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Someone's Thinking of You

The bunny takes her hand in his paw and despite Talia's instinctive reaction, simply smiles at her. "We all have instincts. It is whether we define those instincts or they define us that matters."

Patting her hand with his free paw, he continues, "Remember what you have seen and learned here. This place is neither so foreign nor impossible to who you are and who you may yet be that you can afford to simply write it off. But that is neither here nor there."

Releasing her hand, the bunny heads to the front door, Talia walking alongside him. "You have taken but the first step down a long road, and it would do you good to remember that you do not walk it alone." A pause, and he looked her in the eye, almost like he was looking into her soul, then he added, "For a long road it is indeed."

Exiting the house, the bunny takes one last look back and tilts its head slightly to the side, in a sort of wry, devilish grin. "But as they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single hop."

And with that, he goes hopping off down the driveway and down the street.

Suddenly world seems to spin, and everything fades to black...

Until she opens her eyes, and finds she's lying on the floor of her apartment, right where she was when she left. She's tired, disoriented, and generally all out of sorts. But she feels...different, somehow. In a good way. Like she's gained something important of herself again.

Alleycat isn't thinking or processing any of that right now though. The only thing she can think of is, what time is it? She instinctively looks for a clock, before realizing that she's back in the 'real' world now. She laughs, thinking about how easy it was for her to adjust back in...well whatever it was.

Opting to access the clock in her head instead, she isn't sure if she should be surprised or not to find that it's only about 18:30:00 on Saturday, January 6, 2063, thank goodness. But physically she feels like she's lived through a night and day without much sleep, and is ready to collapse from the mental and emotional exhaustion, not to mention the apparent physical exhaustion.

Well, now that I'm back, what to do next? Her mind answers for her, the obvious, but maybe wise answer, seemingly of its own will: 'Get some sleep stupid'.
Sedna
18:30:00 on Saturday, January 6, 2063

And sleep she does. Right there, right then, without moving -- but not without setting the alarm first. She hasn't forgotten that there's a message yet to deliver and other work to be done, in this world.
WinterRat1
17:30:00 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

Arriving at the meet nearly 30 minutes late, Dragon curses softly to himself, for the appearance of unprofessionalism, even if Virgil would've explained by now what was going on to his contact. Greeted by the pretty blonde hostess, he begins to explain who he's looking for, but she just smiles and says, "We were told you'd be coming sir. Please follow me."

Leading him to a table, he's surprised to see Virgil sitting by himself. "Where'd your contact go, the bathroom or something?" Dragon asks, trying to figure out where the guy's sitting so he doesn't accidentally take his seat.

"No, actually he called and left a message, said he'd be no less than three hours late but not to wait more than five for him. He'll call if can show, otherwise we should just go," the shaman hurries along to finish his sentence, seeing the mercenary's increasingly dark expression, "but in any event, dinner's on him."

Immediately Dragon's mood brightens. Hell, after everything that's gone bad today, it's about freaking time we caught a break somewhere, even if it's just free food. Taking a look at the menu and the fare offered, he immediately ups that assessment to and not just any free food, good free food. Well there's worse things in life than a good free meal on someone else's tab.

And then it occurs to him to ask, "Hey, should we invite Daedalus to join us? We need to catch him up to speed anyway, and he probably needs to eat too."

Pausing to order a Coke from the waitress who'd stopped by, he continues, "Hell, given the way our funds are going, we'd better take advantage of this, cause we're going to be down to freaking iron rations if we don't get some money somewhere soon."

Nodding in agreement, Virgil replies, "Yeah, why don't you call him up and invite him? We can catch him up to speed and take a moment to relax too. That wouldn't hurt either."

"Right." Dialing up the rigger, Dragon quickly fills him in on the details of where they're at, and at the mention of free food, he can almost feel the rigger perk up.

"Hold on, I'll get back to you on dinner," Daedalus replies suddenly, and cuts the connection. A bit puzzled, Dragon shrugs it off, figuring the rigger would let him know if something important came up, and turns back to Virgil. "So, anything we should discuss before he gets here to make this a more organized briefing?"
banditf50
21:16:47 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

"Of course you wouldn't. The pickup time occurs after the florist closes for the day and any workers present will be briefed to expect you. As far as meeting the other runner is concerned there is not much that I can do because I do not know their identity. I know that another runner has been secured to act as couier and likely has had time for any prep-work and they will be informed to expect additional security support."

Max leans back in his chair and takes another swig of his beer.

"Hmmm. . . this is pretty good."

"I know that the circumstances are not as optimal as you would like them, if you accept the job I'll contact you before go-time if I learn anything else that would be useful."
banditf50
17:33:10 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"I am sure that we could all enjoy a good and free meal, just try to avoid making any ridiculously expensive purchases."

"Sure Virg. So, does your contact's absence indicate a problem, or a complete wrench in our plans."

"I don't know if there is a problem yet, though his message stated that if he does not show up tonight that he will reschedule with us. Before you arrived I called and left him a message stating that we'd be waiting here for a bit, perhaps he'll call during dinner."

The shaman pauses as Mandy brings Dragon's Coke. "We are waiting to hear about one more dinner guest before we order. In the meantime could we have an order of the breaded dill chips?" Dragon shoots him a look of quizzical disgust. "Trust be about this, they are very good."

After Mandy hurries off to put in the appetizer order Virgil continues. "With Jonah missing and our meeting plans altered we need to evaluate what our current leads happen to be. I was thinking that while we're here we could check in with Bob to see if he has made any progress examining those files from Kiki, we can also figure out our next move in tracking down Jonah."

"Dragon, in that picture that you discovered, did the man with Jonah have any defining features?"
paul_HArkonen
19:00:14 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Home

Stepping between the cars parked in the basement of his apartment, Blaze worked his way over to his bike. As he approaches the engine warms in response to the small transmitter set inside his coat. Sliding into the seat of his bike Blaze shifted it into gear and pulled out of the garage.

The lights of the other cars on the street blurred as he sped past. Relaxing the throttle he slid in between a pair of Electrocars. Speeding would be one of a many ways to end this evening really quickly.

After a half hour of weaving through Saturday night traffic Blaze finally arrived at his destination, Catapusan's Sushi Bar. Parking his Bike in a garage a block away Blaze slowly began his walk to meet with Max. I should beat him there, Max has always been punctual, but I'll have to be quick to make sure that he's ontime to his meet.

Nodding to the stewardess, a young Japanese Elf, dressed in a slightly gaudy red Kimono, Blaze passed through the doors and headed to Max and his usual table. As he passed through the room his red coat and shades caused people to take an aditoinal moment to study him. Arriving at the table he noted he was the first there, as he expected. Before sitting down a moment to walk around the restaurant, stopping at the restroom, once again checking the exits, despite the number of times he'd been there in the past. Even while I'm relaxing I'm still paranoid. It wasn't until 10:15 that Max actually showed up. Watching over the bar Blaze could see Max's muscled form pass through the door.

Back when he was younger Max had been a runner himself, but after years in the biz, and quite a bit of nuyen acumulated, he had "retired". Since then his muscled body had gone to seed somewhat, he was still well muscled, but now there was a slight layer of fat over top.

Blaze stood up to meet Max as he entered and walked with him back to the table. Sitting down across from him Blaze waited a moment for Max to shrug off his coat before speaking. "It's been a while."

"Yeah it has. We really need to try and do this more often. How's the planning for your trip going?" Blaze's shrug told Max more than enough. "Having some problems?"

"Yeah, we are. We need someone to help with the Matrix end of our plans. And we still don't know anywhere near as much about our target as we really should."

"Sounds like a normal day at the wheel to me... These things never work out as smoothly as one would like." Blaze was forced to shrug once again. "You know I actually was hoping to talk about something other than Biz. I know it's hard when you live the way we do, but let's at least give it a shot..."

"Sounds good to me. Actually, you know I think it's about time you started looking for a chica. You know, one who isn't related to you."

"You know you really don't give up on that do you?" Max's smile was warm, "You aren't the only one around here who's tenacious when he's after something. Honestly, I think you ought to look for someone, even if it's someone you're working with, I know that can complicate things, but it means you don't have to make up excuses for meets." Blaze shook his head slowly, laughing softly to himself, "You know, it's funny you should mention that... I'll get back to you on that subject after my trip, and maybe you'll leave me alone." Max's smile turned into a light chuckle, "You got someone in mind?"

"Maybe, we'll have to see how the trip goes, but I may."
WinterRat1
17:33:50 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

Dragon just shrugs when Virgil says to trust him on the food. Heck, Virgil trusts him with the chinese food all the time, right?

"As I see it, we've got two solid leads still. The corp devo files, and the picture. And that last one isn't that great. As far as it goes, the only thing I noticed was that the one guy had cyberspurs. Not very common among mercs, we'll usually opt for a knife or something, much more useful. But on the streets..." Dragon trails off.

"What? What are you thinking?" The shaman leans closer, knowing his friend's wheels are turning.

"OK check this out. Jonah lives in Auburn. He's one of the good guys down there it seems. A Mafia place in Auburn gets hit earlier today. He's Japanese it seems, so maybe he's got an in with the Yaks? Anyway, you think this other guy might be connected to the Mafia? Hell I don't know."

Frustrated as his chain of logic seems to come apart, and knowing it was a reach anyway, Dragon just shrugs and says, "I'm just thinking that maybe the Mafia or the Yakuza are involved with this stuff potentially too, given that Jonah's a player down there. He'd have to know something of what was going on with the two syndicates to do that, and if he does, we can't rule out the syndicates being involved here somehow, some way, even peripherally. I definitely don't want to get blindsided by either of them."
banditf50
17:34:13 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"Good point, that also reaffirms my desire to be very careful about who show that picture to. We need to be very careful about accidently tipping-off the same party that ransacked Jonah's doss. You got a copy of that picture to our eye in the sky right?"

"Of course, I did it after I dropped you here."

"Cindy might have more information about any Yak connections that Jonah has. Now that she has had time to recover from the mind probe perhaps we should have her look at the picture and see if she recognizes the other man. Or at least see if she knows anything about any side-business that Jonah may have conducted."
WinterRat1
17:35:13 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"So you think we should go back to the clinic and check in then? We've got to go get Daedalus's stuff at some point later tonight, by the way. And if we're going up against more of these hardcore guys shooting missiles from blimps, I want more firepower."

Raising an eyebrow, Virgil replies, "You mean that monster shotgun you carry around isn't enough?"

Smiling evilly, Dragon answers, "Oh it's solid alright. But you can never have too much firepower you know."

"Maybe not in the field, but here in the city, yes you can. We don't need the Star on us you know."

Waving a hand, Dragon dismisses his friend's concern. "Oh come on, you know I'm not going to walk around shooting at people. I'm just saying...just in case, it'd make me feel a whole lot better. Actually..." his voice trails off as he thinks of something new, "where should we all be crashing tonight? I can't go to my real home and neither can you, and I dunno if Tiffany will be able to leave the clinic, and even if she does, she can't go home. Heck, I don't know about Sybersnake either. So when we get out of here, do we even have a place to shack up for the night?"
Morgannah
18:53:48 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - A Restored Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

.. and so a torturous, round-about refugee trail sprang up. Paris to Marseilles, across the Mediterranean to Oran, then by train or auto or foot across the rim of Africa to Casablanca in French Morocco.

She was certain that her heart had stopped once the music started, her eyes widening in astonishment as one of her all-time favorites presented itself on the screen. The breath she forced herself to take was more of a soft gasp and Cosmo knew, without knowing, that she was being observed. Rather than trying to seem indifferent to the obvious thought put into their date, or even just casually nonchalant, she half-turned in her seat and smiled up at Caska. Her fingers, still cool from their short time outside, caressed the side of his face for a second, playing across a rigid, sculpted jaw even as she leaned forward to place a feathersoft kiss near the corner of his mouth.

"Thank you," she whispered simply before turning back toward the screen.

Here the fortunate ones through money or influence or luck might obtain exit visas and scurry to Lisbon, and from Lisbon to the New World. But the others wait in Casablanca, and wait and wait and wait.

Cosmo sat up a little straighter in the overstuffed velvet seat, immediately drawn into the casual elegance of 'Rick's Cafe.' Her world faded to black and white....
Tiredronin
16:49:58 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

Icarus floats over toward the clinic, scanners intensely searching for sign of anything amiss?

Frag, we better find whatever he left back here, Dragon and Virgil would not appreciate any harm coming to them... whoever they are. Then we gotta get you back and fixed up. I am sorry Icarus I shouldn't have let you get hurt.

Hrm.. wonder if there is any food around here...

Sedna
16:50:02 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

The sound is unmistakeable now: some kind of drone had been released on the clinic rooftop, and is disappearing into the air exchange vent. Frag it! Given what I've already seen of this fragger, I'd better not assume it's just a surveillance 'bot. What to do, what to do ...

OOC: time altered to 17:30:02, to better match the other timeline ... just in case smile.gif
Cedric Rolfsson
21:17:00 January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

Erebus looked at Max, really looked at him, weighing and measuring his trustworthiness. The run left a lot to be desired, too little info and it frankly sounded too good to be true. It sounded like a milk run, just babysitting a courier delivering a package for 4K.

Nothing in life is ever easy, too good to be true or not its a run you can't afford to pass up. If the deal turns bad how its handled could make or break a rep.

Erebus knew very well that the even in a city the size of Seattle, with as many shadows, the real community of professional runners was pretty small. A rep as a pro meant better contacts and more contracts, but the only way to get the rep was to do the grunt work.

With a mental sigh he accepted the risks in exchange for the rewards.

"Fine, not the best deal but I'm in. Let me be absolutely clear, my job is to secure the package not the courier right? If it comes to a choice then I secure the package and the courier is on their own, correct?" Erebus gave Max a mirthless grin.

"I'd hate to be guarding the wrong thing."
banditf50
21:49:00 January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

"Yep, 4K is great money for being a couier, but not nearly enough for bodyguard duty." Max returns Erebus's grin. "Your contract is to ensure the safe deleivery of the package, you can let the other runner worry about taking care of himself."

That makes things a bit better. Erebus thought to himself.

"If the drek was to really hit the fan, you worry about covering your own hoop." Then, as if to stop himself from seeming too protective Max's tone shifted, "You have too much potential, I'll be needing you in the future."
Tiredronin
16:50:30 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

"FRAG! Dragon get your people out of the clinic that fragging rigger just dropped something on the roof and it is coming through the vents after them. I can't do anything about the inside of that building, I'm bringing Talos back, but there is not too much that I can do."

damn, this is what the infantry is for

Seeing the drone enter the building Daedalus's mind lurches back accross town into Talos and feels his adrenaline glands once more empty into his bloodstream as he prepares to sprint back to the clinic.

"Icarus, track that drone thermographically as long as possible"
Sedna
16:53:30 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

It takes only a few seconds for Daedalus to realise that the infantry isn't going to reply; worse, that his transmission probably didn't get through; and worse yet, that if he leaves Icarus, he probably won't be able to get back to it. This one is up to him.

OOC: time altered to 17:31:30, to better match the other timeline ... just in case smile.gif
Cedric Rolfsson
21:18:01 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

4K for a courier run, and the actual courier gets to be the target. Perfect, a back up job. I can be the hero if things go right and I can always blame the original courier if they go bad.

Erebus nodded seriously at Max.

"I'll take the job. Trust me amigo looking out for myself is something I do very, very well."

The young elf paused in thought for a few seconds before he next spoke.

"I would suggest the following payment arrangements. The Johnson deposits the full fee with you, including your costs, and you assure the Johnson that the money stays there until a set time, sometime after the delivery. Once the delivery is completed I'll call you to verify and then the money transfer can go ahead. Any arrangements for verification between you and the Johnson are up to you guys to arrange, and I presume would increase your fee based upon the complexity. The Johnson pays your handle, and once verification is complete you transfer the 4K into my account." He watched the fixer intently, looking for signs that his suggestion was well taken or not.
grendel
19:36:11 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Chan's Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

The music for the ending credits continues to play as the house lights come up, and Caska stretches, a soft smile on his face. He glanced sideways at Cosmo, tilting his head to one side. It was a simpler joy that filled her eyes now, something that had an almost magical quality to it.

"What do you think? Did Rick make the right decision after all?"
Morgannah
19:36:54 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Chan's Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo turned in her seat again, her eyes liquid with tears she couldn't quite bring herself to shed. She was beyond happy, but she felt, as always, a pang of sympathy for Rick, the poor, cynical man that had come so far in such a short time.

"My youngest brother and I," she began softly, "used to sneak away from home to watch movies like this. Even after the show was over, we'd sit in the theatre and argue for hours over what we'd seen. I didn't learn until years later that he'd never actually enjoyed the movies; he couldn't leave enough of himself behind to understand.... It was always the debate afterwards that he looked forward to."

Her smile was soft, warm, and beyond everything else, inviting as she looked up at him. Finally, she gave a slight nod.

"I think Rick did the right thing, yes, but it must have torn him apart."

"Tell me, Caska, did you like the movie?"
grendel
19:37:08 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Chan's Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska cradles Cosmo's cheek in his hand, running his thumb softly across the graceful sweep of her cheekbone. She can feel the warmth of his flesh as well as the cool rigid interface of his smartgun link just beneath the dermis. She is struck by his eyes and how different was Byron's dark, brooding, intoxicating gaze. Caska's eyes are matte shutters, armor for a mind and soul that refuse to let her see more than what is designed to be revealed. For her, it is no less alluring and no less powerful.

"I like that you like it," he says simply. Standing, he offers his hand again.

"Shall we to dinner?"
Morgannah
19:37:26 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Chan's Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

Drawing a deep breath, Cosmo placed a fleeting kiss across his hand before she leaned back in her seat for a second to take one last longing look around the restored theatre. Her expressive eyes turning dreamy as she imagined what it might have been like to have visited this place in all its glory. She would have been glamorous in ivory satin and diamonds and By- .. Caska would have left a trail of broken hearts in his wake in his immaculate white tuxedo. Her fingers brush lightly across the inside of his palm as she rises to stand beside him, wondering what he'd do if she asked him to dance with her ....

He would, of course, but it wouldn't be because he wanted to. The man has an agenda and dancing, if it's even on there, isn't slotted until later.

She sighed softly and smiled, silently cursing the darkly intense gaze that had affected her more deeply than she'd guessed.

"Let's."
grendel
19:40:08 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Chan's Theatre, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska leads Cosmo out of the theater, stopping only to bow to the old Chinaman. The Shadow is waiting for him exactly where he parked it two hours earlier. He hands her into the passenger seat, pausing to glance down the alleyway at something before closing the door and moving around to the driver's side.

The drive is short, only fifteen minutes, down to the outskirts of Chinatown. Surprisingly, Caska parks roadside by a small noodlehouse, its only advertisement a hand-lettered sign lit by a single overhead flood. He holds the door for her, and the delicious aroma of spring onions and watercress wafts out around them. The restaurant is only large enough for a dozen square tables, each draped with a worn but immaculately clean white tableclothes. A young Chinese girl, she can't be more than ten or twelve, approaches the couple with a pair of menus in her hands.

"Won sang hau," Caska bows his head to her, indicating a table against the wall with his left hand.

"Ching, shr shr!" the girl replies, smiling broadly. Her father exits the kitchen when he hears voices, the narrow set to his face broadening into a toothy smile when he recognizes Caska. He acknowledges the owner with a nod of his head, and a smile. The older chinaman pulls his daughter back into the kitchen to give them a moment to peruse the menu.

"Wei is an old friend and a wizard in the kitchen," explains Caska. "If it's on the menu, it'll be the best you've ever tasted. If it isn't, he can probably make it for you."
Morgannah
19:56:17 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo smiled charmingly at the Wei and his daughter as they disappeared into the rear of the restaurant, her eyes twinkling with bemusement.

"Caska, you never cease to amaze me. This place is lovely."

The memory of what was down the alley in front of Chan's loomed in her mind for a second but she quickly moved it to one side; at least there hadn't been much blood by the car....

"So," she chuckled, arching an eyebrow as she glanced at him over the top of her menu. "What do you think you'll have tonight?"
grendel
19:56:53 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Well I plan on having you for dessert. But for dinner I was going to get casu bau and then number thirty five: noodles with spicy pork." Caska doesn't look up from his perusal of the menu, his voice casually off-hand.
Morgannah
19:57:03 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo rolled her eyes dramatically, very nearly throwing her napkin at him. She contemplated making funny faces at Caska until he looked up but figured he'd just ask if she was feeling all right and offer to order a cup of herbal tea.

He would, too, she thought, a dimple peeking out of one cheek.

"Wei seems like a nice man but I'm not so sure he'd appreciate me climbing onto his table, and in front of his young daughter, no less. Maybe the steamed sponge cake? And you're right; thirty five sounds excellent. I think I'm in the mood for Empress chicken .. but it's been ages since my last taste of Xang Su Ya. Any suggestions?"
grendel
19:57:32 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska laughs.

"That may be, but there's a nice counter in the restroom. As for dinner, I'd recommend forty four, the duck. It's exquisite."

He folds his hands on the table, resting his weight on them, and watches her.
Morgannah
19:57:58 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

She grinned and nodded slightly, setting her menu aside as well.

"Forty four, then. Excellent."

Cosmo folds her hands in a gesture nearly identical to his, her head tilted slightly to one side as she regards him quizzically.

"A franc for your thoughts?"
grendel
19:58:11 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska smiles, glancing back over his shoulder at Wei. The owner nods and comes forward, listening intently as Caska orders for both of them. He bows and disappears back into the kitchen.

Caska turns back to Cosmo, a soft smile on his face.

"My thoughts? I think Rick should have taken Ilsa. I think Captain Renault should have had Major Strasser shot the moment he got off the plane. And I think Rick's was a much better bar than the Blue Parrot."
Morgannah
19:59:32 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Rick's was a much nicer bar than the Blue Parrot and yes, the Major should have been shot much earlier. Blaine wouldn't have been as much the hero if he hadn't done it himself, though."

Cosmo smiled softly and continued. "I think Rick knew that Ilsa wasn't for him any more," she said simply, "even though she would have stayed with him. Why do you think he should have taken her?"
grendel
20:00:03 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Because he could. Because power, if not exercised, is wasted. That's part of what attracted Ilsa to him in the first place. If we knew more about Laszlo, I'm sure it would be the same. Power is the ultimate aphrodesiac."

Morgannah
20:00:19 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo's eyes darkened somewhat as she eyed him rather frankly although her voice remained a silken caress.

"It can be." Is that what you like, Caska? "Why would Ilsa have stayed with Rick, then, since Laszlo clearly had more influence?"
grendel
20:00:52 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska shrugged.

"Laszlo was a known quantity, though, unswerving in his opposition to the Reich. Which takes conviction and a certain amount of courage. But Rick has that dangerous unknown quality, that mystery when combined with the kind of strength and willpower he displayed would be intoxicating to a woman like Ilsa."

He might have said more, but was interrupted by Wei and the plate of casu bau. He offers Cosmo one of the stuffed, steamed buns.
Morgannah
20:01:23 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"All right, I'll bite."

Cosmo half-smiled, accepting a share of the casu bau. She left it on her plate to cool for a bit but gave Caska a few seconds to settle in with the food.

"What kind of woman was Ilsa?"
grendel
20:01:49 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Yes, and from what I remember, you scratch, too." Caska takes a bite from the steamed pastry, leering at Cosmo. He chews thoughtfully for a minute.

"Ilsa is archetypal, she's a beautiful, dangerous woman. She's like Helen of Troy; a woman men will die for, a woman men will kill for."

Caska's gaze is level and penetrating, and Cosmo knows he's not just referring to a fictional movie character.
Tiredronin
17:33:20 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

Daedalus frantically runs through a dozen different options in his mind, everything from flying Dragon back to the clinic on Talos, to crashing Icarus into the building to find the intruder drone...

Frag, this won't work.. I have to get a warning to those people.

Not wanting to take his eyes off of the vent that the drone all too recently dissappeared into, Daedalus concentrates on his physical body to punch out a search on his telecom for a contact number to the Street Clinic.

This place has got have a phone number.

Sedna
17:33:59 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

Search by name ... frag, don't know it. And the ones dropped by Dragon wouldn't be listed.

Search by business ... scratch that. If this place even has a business licence, I'll be surprised.

That was odd: hmm, quickly, check those sensors again. No, he's right: drone didn't go deeply into the air vent at all. The audio pattern of its engines against the fans hasn't changed in the slightest. It's out of sight and out of Icarus' reach, but for some reason it's not going any deeper. What the frag ...?

Search by address.

There. John C. Lanier, MD, Sur.Cyb, MSc(Nan.)? Well, at least it's medical. Call.

Frag, this won't work.. I have to get a warning to those people.

Ring ... ring ... ring ... ring ... seven rings at least before a girl somewhere in there gets to a phone, and then she sounds somewhat breathless: "Hello?" And, almost as an afterthought, "Doctor Lanier's office, how may I direct your call?"
Morgannah
20:02:18 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo laughed throatily, murmuring something about chipping her nailpolish on him while carefully appraising her flawless manicure. She didn't look up right away, though. A small, mysterious smile played across her lips as she sat there, her creamy skin all but shimmering in the softly lit dining room.

"A woman these powerful men can't resist no matter how hard they try?"

The full force of her vivid green gaze rises in challenge, virtually daring Caska to prove her wrong. The soft creature of a few moments before had all but melted away, leaving in her wake a huntress that radiated sex and barely-contained animal aggression. Somehow, I don't think Laszlo counted on Ilsa being a killer, she thought, her lip curling in what might have passed for a smile, were she the animal she resembled.

"Tell me, Caska. What would Rick have done with Ilsa if he'd decided to keep her? How long do you think it would have lasted?"

Cosmo winked, a dimple peeking out of one cheek. The predator had vanished as quickly as she'd shown herself, leaving nothing but a deceptively soft creature sitting across the table, her cheek resting casually against her open palm. Yes, she was very dangerous.
grendel
20:02:53 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"It would have lasted as long as Rick was careful. As long as he didn't make a mistake." Caska finished his casu bau casually, his right hand returning to the tabletop without drawing the weapon it had sought when the animal was threatened. More than one predator sat at this table.

"As for what Rick would have done with Ilsa...." Caska's smile wasn't wicked as much as evil.
Morgannah
20:03:24 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo laughed out loud at that grin, completely unfazed by the menacing cast of his features or the fact that he'd almost drawn a weapon at the dinner table.

"Mmm, you'll tell me later, I hope," she chuckled, popping a bit of the soft roll between her lips, looking for all the world like she'd much rather be devouring him instead.

"Now what sort of mistake are we talking about?"
grendel
20:03:36 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Making the mistake of forgetting, first and foremost, how dangerous a thing a woman is." Caska's smile faded to his usual wicked leer, the flat gaze of his cybereyes unwavering. Once more he folded his arms on the table, watching Cosmo. It reminded her of the first night they met, how relaxed he'd seemed until she'd touched him and felt the vicious energies coursing through him.
Morgannah
20:05:17 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Her smile was light as she devoted a bit of attention to the marvelously prepared casu bau. If Caska was so intent on watching her, she saw no harm in obliging him for a little while. She would have done almost anything to know what he was really thinking, though. A few minutes pass in silence before Cosmo sets her plate aside, quirks a little smile, and reaches high overhead, stretching langourously. She looks up at her linked hands, presenting him with the smooth length of her throat, an invitation she knew he'd resist.

"And Ilsa? What would happen when she made her first mistake?"
grendel
20:05:37 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska shrugged, watching the play of muscles as Cosmo moved.

"Ilsa? Depends on what she wanted out of the game. She was in a win-win situation, either man she ended up with would have taken care of her."

Wei choses that moment to arrive with food, the large steaming bowls of noodles and broth delivered with speed to the table. Caska nods his thanks and the slim chinaman once again slips into the kitchen, leaving them alone. Picking up his chopsticks, Caska stirs the noodles around before snapping up a slice of pork.
Morgannah
20:06:40 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo took a second to roll out her neck before she smiled up at the Chinaman, thanking him warmly as he set the plate of crisp duck in front of her. She weilded her chopsticks with the sort of grace that can only come from hours upon hours of practice, that, or one of the greatest Etiquette instructors in the sixth world....

"Ilsa was too soft," she agreed, sighing blissfully over the contrast between the sweet softness of the steamed duck meat and its crunchy skin; the spice that was perfectly balanced by julienned cucumber.

"She needed to be cared for." Some women don't.
grendel
20:08:19 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Several minutes pass while the two of them eat in relative silence.

"That's true, Ilsa was the kind of girl who needed to be taken care of. There are those who want to be taken care of, though."

Caska has known from the beginning that Cosmo isn't one who needs someone to take care of her. That wasn't really the point of the game anyway.

"It's a delicate balance to strike, between soft and hard."
Morgannah
20:10:38 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Got it in one.

Cosmo arched an eyebrow and smiled, clearly impressed by his deduction. She cleaned out her bowl and set it to one side, resting her chin on the backs of her hands as she appraised him, her eyes twinkling with undisguised curiosity.

"And you? How do you find this balance?"
grendel
20:11:24 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Usually I find someone else to be soft for me." Caska finished his noodles with a quick, economic gesture. "Life for me is not about hard or soft. It is war. The fast, the strong, the smart survive. Anything else will fall by the wayside."

His voice drops again, from the lilting insouciance that's marked the conversation so far, to the gravelly rasp that Cosmo associates with his moods of introspection.

"There are those that believe in balance, that a person must have equal parts of everything to find themselves in harmony. There is no harmony in this world. Existance is war. Power is the currency. And death is the reward. Everything else is a fantasy."
Morgannah
20:13:53 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

Existence is war? Women are dangerous things? Death is the reward?

Cosmo tilted her head to one side, respecting that introspective tone even if she didn't necessarily agree with Caska's opinions. It was a dark world, yes, but having a bit of balance in her life was one of the only things that let her hold on to her humanity ...

that's what it is, isn't it?

She sighed softly and looked into icy blue eyes that were as inert as the bangles around her wrist, eyes that would never show what was not planned. A smile ghosted about her lips but did not grow as she was haunted by a dark soulful gaze.

"Why live at all, then, if survival is all there is to look forward to? What about quality? Contentment?" Dare I ask about happiness?

Was he just keeping her around to be 'soft' for him?
grendel
20:14:40 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Wei's Noodle House, Los Angeles, CFS

"Jung said 'the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light of meaning in the darkness of mere being.' Life, even in war, has meaning. No one will remember my life when I am gone, but I will know. And those who see me know that I live my life with purpose. Not haphazardly or accidentally, not floating through or getting by, but imposing my terms upon this existance."

This time, Caska's voice draws aside the steel curtain riveted around his existance, and Cosmo can see a sliver of the will and the strength that burns inside him like a plasma torch.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012