Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
Morgannah
22:56:17 Tuesday 02 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo closed her eyes for a moment, swaying with him to a song that was more felt than heard until she felt ready to fall over, dizzy with desire. She smiled lightly and brushed her lips up and down the column of his neck, her fingers playing across the fastenings of an immacuately-tailored jacket and the soft shirt beneath, teasing buttons but never undoing them. Her even white teeth nibble at a slightly angular earlobe as she whispers "ave victor" with a warm, throaty chuckle.
grendel
00:05:23 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

She'd just closed her eyes for a moment, warm beneath the covers. Just for a moment while she rested, pleasantly sore from the hours previous. But now, the apartment was silent, and she knew he was gone.
Morgannah
00:05:25 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo came out of the light doze with a lazy, contented smile sweeping across her lovely flushed features. It couldn't have been more than five minutes since they sank, exhausted, into the heavenly soft mattress and she'd closed her eyes ....

Her smile began to fade as she became more and more alert, realizing after only a few moments that she was completely alone. She frowned at the glass of water left on the bedside table, only just beginning to sweat; by all rights, she should have noticed him leaving. He .. left.

That single, piercing thought sent her rolling out of bed, her nude body illuminated by the thin streams of moonlight that made it through the shuttered windows. Cosmo's jaw twitched irritably and her chin lifted in a clearly defensive gesture as she stalked about the flat looking for some sign of the man she'd been with (and in every sense of the phrase) only minutes ago.

"Nothing." She whispered flatly.
banditf50
22:14:48 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

Striding in the doors of the bar Max wipes a few drops of icy rain from the shoulders of his jacket as he strides up to the bar to give Erebus a hearty handshake. Indicating to the awaiting bartender that he'd like two rounds of the beer that Erebus is currently drinking Max drops an ample tip onto the counter, grabs the brew, and leads Erebus back towards a table near the restrooms. The area away from the pool tables is much quieter and darker, perfect for escaping the crowed to talk a bit of business.

"Alright chum, this is your meet so I'll layout the rest of the details I have and then let you roll it around. The contract is to pickup a man-portable package from the Green Thumb florist in North Auburn tomorrow at 21:00. The package is to be delivered to a man named Vinnie at the Spaghetti Palace restaurant. You will confirm his identity by speaking the pass-phrase "Time to pay the piper," he will confirm by responding, "The check is in the mail." The job is finished at that point and you will be supplied with a number to call for the pickup of payment. I understand that another runner has been contracted to act as the courier, you are being contracted as a source of security for the delivery."
WinterRat1
16:27:34-Saturday January 6th 2063-On the way to the meet

Locking in the location his orientation system and GPS, Dragon easily plots out the best route to the meet. “Got it. I’ll drop you off and then go pick up the stuff. How’s the security on this place? You think you’ll be ok till I get back?”

Virgil nods. “Like I said, medium class place, middle of the afternoon, not too far from the airport, yeah I think the security should be reasonable. You think you can get that image over to the clinic and Daedalus while you’re at the mall?”

“Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ll be sure to do that. You know, I hope this guy can scrounge up some cash for all our troubles thus far, because we’re going up against a whole lot of bad guys for what’s looking like an increasingly small payday here pal.”

“Ugh.” Virgil rolls his eyes. “You’re telling me.”

“Hey! Drones and their maintenance ain’t cheap either! My babies need good parts and good oil and all that other stuff to keep running you know! It’d be worse than cruel to leave them without proper repair and upkeep! It’d…why, it’d be almost inhumane!” Daedalus’s voice comes over Dragon’s radio, which he’d deliberately kept open so he could hear the mercenary’s side of the conversation at least.

Chuckling to himself, the mercenary just shakes his head as they drive in silence to the meet.

16:58:04-Saturday January 6th 2063-Leaving Sea-Tac Airport for the Meet

A short while later, after dropping Virgil off at the meet, Dragon had arrived at the drop, and picked up the stuff he’d requested from his sister. She did good, as always he noted with satisfaction, as he examined the various outfits of clothes for all of them, a radio with appropriate encryption for Virgil , and the various other items he’d requested. He used a bathroom in the mall to change into clothes that weren’t scorched and raked with shrapnel and bullets, and to freshen up a beat so as to be at least presentable.

Taking a moment to send a copy of the image to Sybersnake and the clinic along with an explanation of who was in it and a request for her to ask Cindy for more information, he decided he should give Susan a call as well, over his secured channels.

“Hey Susan , it’s me,” he said without preamble when she picked up. “The line’s secure.”

“OK. Did you get the stuff?”

Walking back to the car, he checked again to make sure no one was taking an unhealthy interest in him, and smoothly pulled the car out into traffic so he could head back to the meet. “Yeah, you did good, thanks a lot. Hey listen, I just wanted to let you know that I’m running hot here and I won’t be home for a while it seems.”

“How hot?” The concern in her voice was obvious, and was written all over her face. Love that image link! I can still see people when I talk to them in my head. Bonus!

“In addition to the mess at the restaurant earlier today, I played dodgeball with not one, but two missiles, and played bullet shield for the others with an SMG for dessert.”

“Holy…” her voice trailed off. “It got that serious, that fast?”

“Yeah. It could get worse by the time it’s over. Heck, it almost certainly will be. Anyway, I just wanted to call to tell you to be extra careful, and look out for Grandma and Cindy ok? I don’t think I’m made, but just in case…”

She cut him off. “We know the risks. It’s part of family. We deal. We always have. Always will.” Placing her fingers to the telecom screen, Susan blew him a kiss. “Take care then, until I see you again Vincent .”

Vincent…that name kept him human sometimes. Reminded him that for all he had done, for all he was, there were times he wasn’t Dragon and there were those who knew him as more than what he did. It was good to know.

“Oh wait.” She waved someone over, and prevented him from cutting the connection. “Cindy wants to say hi.”

“Hi Vincent!” Cindy smiled and waved enthusiastically at the screen, even though she could only see a preprogrammed image that was displayed when he chose to allow others to see him when he called via his headware.

Smiling to himself, Dragon deftly made a yellow light, and answered, “Hi Cindy. Are you being good?”
Nodding affirmatively, she said, “I’ve been doing my homework every night, so next time you come home, you can watch cartoons with me and Dunkie, right?”

“That’s right sweetie.”

“You promise you’ll remember this time?” She bit her lower lip and swayed a little from side to side, looking at the floor, like she did when she was asking for something she was pretty sure she’d get, but not sure sure.

“I promise. We’ll watch Elsa the Elf Princess again, really soon. OK?”

“OK Vincent!” She looked off screen for a moment, then turned back and said, “Susan says I have to let you go now. Bye bye! I love you!” Giving Dunkie a squeeze he knew was meant to convey affection to him, she ran off and Susan replaced her onscreen, smiling at their little sister’s still preserved innocence.

“All right, you have to get going now. Take care, and call me if you can to let me know you’re all right, ok?”

“Got it. Take care Susan. Love you.”

“Love you too bro.”

They cut the connection just as Dragon pulled the car to a stop a couple blocks from the meet location.

Smiling to himself over the brief contact with his sisters, he shook his head as he parked. OK, time to focus again. That was great, but that was personal. It’s back to biz now. Shotgun would be nice, but I doubt I can get away with bringing it in. Probably not the grenades either…feel kinda naked going in with just the Guardians, but what can you do?

Leaving the shotgun and grenades in a gym bag he left partially open for easy access, he covered the bag with a blanket that he found in the back seat and left it behind the driver’s seat so he could get to it quickly but left it covered for concealment.

Zipping up his jacket to conceal the guns inside but leaving it open enough that he could get to them quickly, he looked at the grey cloudy skies above. It had begun raining lightly, and already people were scurrying for cover, hoping to get home before any serious snow began falling, like the forecasts said. Pulling up the collar of his jacket, he kept a close eye out for any tails and headed to the meet.
Sedna
16:45:12 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Auburn, Jonah's building

Here, now. what's this?

Distantly, Daedalus feels his physical body lean forward as the signal comes in: something's moving in that doesn't belong. After confirming that Dragon and the others are clear for the moment, a quick sensory shift places him fully into the other drone. Rotory, for sure. Powerful motors. Huh. I think I was hoping for a van or something: would have been easier to tail.

Before it comes into visual range, it dips down just above and behind the clinic, and then darts quickly out from the alleyway with an oddly syncopated sound. Daedalus' respect for the unseen pilot rises a few notches. Can't have had more than a few inches clearance on that manoeuvre. If I hadn't been watching for it, I'd have been caught off guard.

An unorthodox amalgamate of winch, clamp, and robotic arm emerges from within the rotor to snag the fallen drone. There's no space for it to fit inside, but it's pulled as snugly against the other drone as is reasonably possible: a soft clank indicates magnets are involved. Its load secured, it lifts quickly and angles away -- and at that moment, just as Daedalus is preparing to follow, he picks up the odd mechanical echo again: and now he's sure it's coming from somewhere by the clinic. Frag it, that drone did something back there, I'm sure of it. But if I check it out, I'll lose this one ...

OOC: time altered to 17:28:12, to better match the other timeline ... just in case smile.gif
banditf50
16:45:34-Saturday January 6th 2063-On the way to the meet

Virgil closes the distance between the curb where he was dropped off and the glass doors to the Fox and Hound Tavern as quickly as possible. The air seems to have gotten much colder in the past few hours, or perhaps it has always been this cold and now he is finally moving slow enough to notice. Walking up to the hostess on duty Virgil spies the synth-wood trim around the interior door frame. He did not know whether they housed any type of MAD system, though the technology was cheap enough that many establishments in this income bracket used them.

No matter, I am not carrying any heat.

Smiling to the blonde hostess, who was probably about 23 years of age, Virgil tried to put on his most charming tone. "Good day my dear. I am meeting some friends for dinner in 15 minutes, but I do not see them here yet perhaps I might wait at your bar?"
Sedna
?? : ?? : ?? - Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Someone's Thinking of You

Okay, astral quests, what do I know about astral quests? Do I take this at face value? Will taking this at face value trap me here forever? Because you -- all of you who manoeuvred me into this position -- you know what I'd really like to do right about now!

"All right," settling in, "Did I ever tell you the story of Persephone?" she says, softly enough that the kid either has to stop bawling or not hear what she's saying. She knows she hasn't, not in either reality; and she's perfectly willing to let the kid sob until he figures out she's only going to answer her in her time, in her way. It takes a while, but eventually the tear-stained shake of his head comes.

"There was a god, his name was Dis, or sometimes Hades. He lived in the deep realms of the earth, but sometimes he went on excursions under the sun: and on one of those journeys he happened to spy the young maiden Persephone. He saw her, he fell in love with her, he stole her away with him to his kingdom.

"She could have escaped, she could have fled back to the world under the sun if she'd left at once and destroyed everything around her ... but maybe Persephone had also fallen a little in love with Hades. Why else would she step into his spell? Why else would she taste of the pomegranate seeds? For somewhere inside she knew, if she tasted of the other world, she would never again completely be free of it.

"It was only a seed or two, but it was enough to make her come, and leave, and come again. And in time she bore a son to Dis, a dark, beautiful boy with big blue eyes."

She stands up, leaving a hollow where she'd been clustered with the others. "Hungry?"
Sedna
16:46:55-Saturday January 6th 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"What name was your friend's reservation under?" asks the hostess. "I can seat you at their table, if you'd prefer."
WinterRat1

The boy nods, slowly, like he’s saying he’s hungry but he doesn’t really understand the story. How could he? He’s just a kid.

“What…what does that story mean Mommy?” he finally asks, scrunching up his face in thought.

“Yes, what was that story supposed to mean anyway? And while we’re at it, what would you really like to have done, hmm?”

And just like that comes almost refreshing normality, with the return of the voice in her head, this time the woman about her age.
banditf50
16:47:02-Saturday January 6th 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"That would be great. I imagine that the reservation is under the name of Fairfire."
Sedna

Here, too?

"It means that whatever else, part of me is always here." Among other things. Making an educated guess, based on memories she does and doesn't have, she leads the boy into the kitchen and begins discovering what's available to make into breakfast.

And why don't you tell me, if you find any meaning deeper than that? or what I would prefer to do, just now? You who are so sure you know everything about me? But I can't complain: you've given me exactly what I asked for. Now it's up to me to find the way through this -- unless you'd like to help, of course.
Sedna
16:48:15 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

She's leafing quickly through the large reservations book, frowing a little. "No, I'm sorry, I don't ... oh, wait, would your name be Virgil by any chance?"
WinterRat1

The kitchen is well stocked, and has nearly all types of breakfast foods one could imagine. "I want pancakes!" the boy says happily, his question apparently satisfied by Talia's answer. Either that, or set aside in favor of taking care of his hunger.

Do I even know how to make pancakes? I wonder if being trained for infiltration and assassination assists one in the fine art of making pancakes?

And then the doorbell rings...
banditf50
16:48:25 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"Why yes it is. I did not think that he'd make the reservation under my name." Not a bad move Inleat, unless of course that means you are planning on arriving late to the party.
Sedna
16:48:25 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

"No, actually he's left a note for you. Did you want to read it?"

Virgil bites back the automatic sarcastic remark -- damn, channelling Dragon, must be this fragging headache that doesn't want to go away -- and settles for a "Yes, please." The hostess asks him to wait a moment; while she pulls a pocket secretary out from under the counter and expertly links it in with the telecom. "Just pick up the phone, sir," she says, and steps aside to give him some privacy.

Virgil, my friend, this is Inleat. Circumstances force my current absence. I might still be able to make it tonight, but I cannot predict at what time. Certainly it will not be less than three hours from now, but if it is more than five, it will not be today. If you wish to wait, I will contact the establishment if I do manage to make it today. In any case, please do enjoy your supper on me, since I have put you to such inconvenience. You know the quality of the dining here.

PS. I did try to phone you earlier, but I could not seem to get a clear line. You are of concern to me. I hope you get this promptly. The establishment is being paid well enough for it.

Sedna

Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be directions on the side of the carton. Maybe I'll even be able to read them.

And then the doorbell rings, excuse to do what she'd wanted to do all along. She takes along the package of pancake mix, trying to decipher it; it's still in her left hand when she opens the door.
WinterRat1

As it happens, there are directions on the carton, and she can read them. What do you know?

She opens the door, ready for anything, absolutely anything. Or so she thought. Standing on her front porch is...a giant white bunny. And not just any bunny. The Easter Bunny, judging from the big basket of plastic eggs it's holding in its hand, er, paw.

Running to the front door, the boy yelps in happiness. "The Easter Bunny! Wow, is it Easter already!?"

With an exaggerated tone of voice, the Easter Bunny replies, "Why hello there little boy, have you been a good boy lately?"

He nods enthusiastically, and in response, the Easter Bunny hands him a giant plastic egg. "There you go little boy, but save it for after breakfast, it looks like your Mommy is making pancakes today. Aren't you the lucky one?"

Talia's eyes narrow as the voice kicks in and jogs her memory. It's the old man in that stupid suit. What the heck is he doing in an Easter Bunny suit, of all things?

"Run upstairs and put that away, and get dressed while I make pancakes," she absentmindly tells her son. "The...Easter Bunny and I have some things to discuss."

Hastening to obey, lest he be dubbed a 'bad' boy, he is quickly out of sight. "So are you going to invite me in?" the Easter Bunny asks at last. She nods, and leads the way into the kitchen, warily keeping alert for any more surprises. The bunny hops, yes, he actually hops into the kitchen behind her, and sits back on his haunches.

Speaking in the voice of the old man, the 'Easter Bunny' asks, "So are you ready to stop being so stubborn about all this and quit seeing all of us as out to get you?"
Sedna

"That depends. Are you prepared to tell me what's the point of me being here, what the fragging hell I'm doing HERE?"

Despite the growing intensity, her voice doesn't rise in volume at all. But it's an effort.
WinterRat1

“You don’t watch many movies, do you?” The old man shakes his head and sighs wearily. That stops her growing intensity for a moment.

“What do you mean, I don’t watch many movies?” she asks with an edge to her voice.

“Because if I had to guess, which I don’t because I already know the answer, but if I had to guess, you haven’t checked a newspaper. Or the trid. Or anything that might conceivably tell you what day it is.”

“I know what day it is!” she snaps back angrily. “It’s a Saturday, January 6, 2063. Was there anything else you wanted to ‘help’ with that I already knew?”

In response, the ‘Easter Bunny’ hops over to the trid and pokes at it with a giant paw. Unfortunately, a rabbit’s paw is not well suited for operations requiring fine manual dexterity, and he only ends up poking at the trid ineffectively.

After watching three or four failed attempts, with something bordering somewhere between a sigh and a snarl of exasperation, Talia stalks over to the trid and turns it on.

A pretty blonde bobbleheaded newscaster anchorwoman greets her, and says, “Good morning! It’s a lovely Saturday morning this January Sixth,” drawing a smirk from Talia that quickly fades to a look of astonishment as the woman concludes, “2073.”

“What do you think you’re here for now?” the old man asks, somewhat smugly, in the voice of one who knows that whatever else the other person was expecting, they certainly didn’t appear to be expecting what was just unveiled.
Tiredronin
16:46:12 Saturday, January 6th, 2063 - Once again outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

"If you hold that picture out the window face up for a moment I can take care of that electronic transmission and send it wherever you'd like"

Allowing Talos's exquisite sensor suite and Clearsight program to enhance the image, Daedalus saves the photo into his internal memory.

"I'm also picking up a bogey back here at the clinic picking up the downed bird. I may need to pull Talos back to trail it."

hrm, and I still need to call that Vinnie to get the rest of my stuff. this is turning out to be a complicated day...
Sedna
16:47:38 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Once again outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

The picture file transmission had gone without a hitch, leaving Daedalus to consider his options while he waits for more detailed instructions from Dragon.

I suppose that sound could have been another drone being dropped, back there where I couldn't see it. For what possible purpose? And the pick-up I did see has far more engine power than Icarus, it's already outpaced my little one and would leave it far behind in no time. By the time I could get Talos back here, the trail would be long cold.

I'd better be cautious in dealing with this guy, though. He knows there's another rigger involved, now. I'd not put it past him to turn the tables on me.

OOC: time altered to 17:29:38, to better match the other timeline ... just in case smile.gif
Morgannah
10:48:03 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex - Los Angeles, CFS

"Nothing," she fumed, her eyes still the dangerously dark hue they'd been all morning. "What sort of .. of .. of man leaves a naked woman alone half a minute before midnight?!"

Cosmo could do nothing but shake her head and glare accusingly at the topless woman that looked back at her through the full length mirror; it was difficult to convince herself that the stain of red across her cheeks was the result of anger and not the stabbing blow to her pride. What was he? Fragging Cinderella?! Disappearing at midnight before his Porsche turns into a pumpkin?!

She shook her head again and bit down, hard, on her lower lip, forcing herself to concentrate on the sting of the ointment she was rubbing into her back. The stuff was supposed to help prevent scarring, but only after all the bits of dried up blood and skin had been scrubbed away (a process that had -not- been amusing in the least). At least the spicy, almost herbal scent of it chased away every trace of Byron's intoxicating cologne. No matter how hard she tried, though, Cosmo couldn't quite shake the feeling that she'd lost something important, especially after giving of herself the way she did....

Oh please, girl. Pull yourself together! It was one night .. a few glorious hours with a dashing Stranger. Two ships in the -

She growled softly and threw the canister of herbal balm onto her bed, stalking into the living area of her small apartment with one last glare at the too-soft woman in the mirror. Every bit of furniture had been pushed to the sides of that little room, clearing just enough space for her to do what was needed, and Spirits, was it ever needed. The brief towel she had wrapped about her waist was tossed to one side, leaving her bathed from head to toe in diffuse sunlight. She stood perfectly still, her hands clenched into tight little fists until well-known words seemed to wash over her.

"Stiff and unbending is the principle of death.
Gentle and yielding is the principle of life."

Slowly, she began to relax. She imagined the rush of a warm breeze, the flutter of a bird's wings, and drew a deep breath, her eyes closing peacefully. Everything she knew, everything she felt, left her with the flutter of those wings and was carried away by that balmy wind and the breath she released so very slowly. Calm washed over her. She was light as the air all around and fluid as the water in the small fountain that trickled somewhere distant. She felt the strength of the metal chimes hanging by the window and supple growth of green things nearby, cultivating a fire within herself....

Yield and overcome;
Bend and be straight.

Cosmo smiled, comforted by familiar words she'd learned so long ago, and lost herself in the Forms. Hands and feet; arms, legs, and torso .. all became as One.
Sedna

"I'm thinking that for whatever purpose, you've taken me into an image of some possible future of mine -- and no, I don't watch much trid." She snaps it off again, biting her tongue hard on the impulse to say And neither does my kid. Doesn't help that both of them know he heard it anyway. "And you'd also know why I wouldn't be looking up a newspaper. I've got no use for divination. I'd like to know, now, today, this year, what you expect me to gain out of this."
grendel
11:30:02 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Los Angeles, CFS

Caska counts three rings before the throaty, languid voice he remembers so vividly answers.

"Good afternoon."

"Good morning," he corrects, "I'll be by at eighteen thirty to pick you up."

Soft laughter fills the phone.

"Still not telling me where we're going? And here I thought some trust had grown in our relationship."

Caska smiled wickedly, eagerly anticipating the coming evening.

"Well, since you claimed to have such simple tastes last time, I figured we'd just do dinner and a movie."

Again, the light, teasing laughter.

"Oh? I do hope it's at a drive-in theater. Will you buy me cotton candy?"

This time it was his turn to laugh.

"I'll see you tonight."

He listened to her breathe on the other end of the line.

"I'm...looking forward to it."

Closing the comm interface, Caska motioned to Quill, even though the rigger couldn't see him.

That's our destination. Pull around back and give me a perimeter sweep.

Roger, eyes on.

WinterRat1

The Easter Bunny shakes his head. "We're trying to help you. But you refuse to let us. We are hoping to help you come to a better understanding and acceptance of self."

Waving a paw, the Easter Bunny gestures to the house around them. "Tell me, what do you think of when you see this future? How do you view it? And why?"

She remains silent, allowing him to continue his minor rant.

Pointing the paw at her, he concludes, "In the midst of all your stubborn refusals to see anything out of your preconceived definitions, have you learned nothing in your time here? That perhaps what you believe a word or idea to be is not necessarily what it actually is?"
Sedna

She resists the sudden wish to sink into that couch and never get up. "And what is this ephemeral idea, then? Just give me one solid example.

"Or, just tell me what I'm supposed to learn, here. Not vague things, flimsy concepts: give me a solid objective to work with."
WinterRat1

The bunny lowers its head sadly. "I can't tell you who you are. You of all people should know that discovery of self is not something any one can do for you. You can be nurtured to be certain way, built to become a certain thing."

It looks up and pierces her with its gaze. "But you must choose for yourself how you will respond with what you have been given. What you will do in each situation."

It leans back, and odd looking picture, and says, "But as far as it goes, for a specific, let's take your continued refusal to believe that we're here to help. Why? Because in your experience you don't believe it is possible for people to do something just to help. Correct?"

It crosses its paws and reminds her, "You still didn't answer my questions. What do you think of when you see this future? How do you view it? And why? This is important."
banditf50
16:49:33 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

His first inclination was to call Dragon and say that the meet was off for the night, but a hunger pang in his stomach reminded Virgil of several key issues, not the least of which was that he had not eaten in hours.

"Thank you very much, I think I will take a seat at the table."

"Excellent choice sir, please follow me."

Falling in step behind the cheerful hostess the shaman's mind began to inventory the needs of the immediate situation. There is always a chance that Inleat could still show up, I can also try to reach him by phone while we're here. We can also call back to the clinic and see if Bob has had any sort of luck with those Corp Devo files.

"Here you are sir." The hostess chirps upon reaching a booth situated near the right-back corner of the tavern. "Mandy will be your server this evening and she will be right with you."

"Thank you kindly miss. Oh. . . I am expecting a guest in about 20 minutes, an asian gentleman, can you send him this way?"

"Of course sir," she said with a perky smile, "have a wonderful evening."

Their only two leads had been seeking Jonah at his apartment and meeting Inleat and his ASPS associates. With Jonah vanished with nary a trace, and Inleat engaged for the time being there was not much of a trail left for them at the moment.

I would like to avoid heading back to the clinic for now, at least until I am sure enough that we won't bring any more trouble that way. Galina, Bob, Juliette, I will have to do all I can to compensate them for the trouble that has been brought to them over the past 48 hours.

His silent musings were interrupted by the arrival of another 20-something women, this one a brunette. "Hi, my name is Mandy and I will be taking care of you this evening. Can I start you off with something to drink?"

"That would be wonderful. I'll have a Boddington's Pub Ale please, served room temp."
Virgil remembered that it was with Inleat that he'd first come to this tavern, and it was the mage who had first introduced the shaman to drinking English ales at room temperature.

"I'll be right back with that sir."

Easing back into the well padded booth Virgil absently rubbed his temples, the headache that had plagued him since the drain of his mental probe of Cindy was finally starting to subside, just not quick enough.

A moment later Mandy returned with his ale, he'd wait until speaking with Dragon to place a meal order. I probably still have a few minutes until Dragon arrives . . .

At that the shaman keys up Inleat's number on his cell phone and set's to calling the mage, if anything to leave a thank-you message for dinner.
Sedna

"Sorry." Talia is surprised to find that she actually means it. "I can't answer your previous questions. They don't make sense to me. But I can try with these." A smile flirts with her lips. "Actually, I think you just asked me one question that is essentially four parts. 'Why?' I assume that means why do I refuse to believe that you're here to help, with the following sentence and question as qualifiers. 'What do you think of when you see this future?' 'How do you view it?' 'And why?'"

She pauses, and then she begins a steady pacing, measuring her thoughts to the words and her words to her steps. "Your qualifier does come close, but it isn't exact. I understand 'help', I know it as a concept that I know how to make use of. I can't see why I would possibly ask it. And don't say that I need it: I think you know what I would answer to that. I take assistance, I get people to assist me. I don't ask it. Why on earth would I? Think about it."

She stops suddenly, turns to face the bunny. "Actually, I can do better than that. There's an old joke that the deckers used to tell about Mara. Drowning in the sea (that might have been a wish-fulfillment thing), everyone's on the docks reaching out their hands to help her. 'Give me your hand,' they cry, but Mara continues to thrash and drown, until one person, who doesn't know any better, reaches out to her and says, 'Take my hand.'

"So there's Part One." She's into movement again, wondering idly if this reality is willing to let her alter her appearance, testing it as she's talking. "Part Two: I can't see myself in this future. There's nothing in here of who I know myself to be. It's wrong on so many levels, I can't begin to describe it. And that leads to Part Three: I view it as hell. It's not the same hell I left back there, and it's not the same hell that's likely waiting for me if Mara ever catches up with me, but we both know that hell has many layers. It's a perfectly adequate interpretation of the choice I accepted when I opened that door, but like so many of the other questions you chose to answer it with a 'what if', and I prefer looking at what is now. Did you really think I would have taken any other choice?"

She stops. "And I think, with that, I've answered your Part Four as well."
Morgannah
11:31:14 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex - Los Angeles, CFS

A small, secret smile quirked across Cosmo's lips as the line went dead. She flipped her cell shut with a soft "click" and chuckled because she was looking forward to the evening, drive-in or not. Taking a second to shrug into a long black robe, she settles down onto the sofa and dials Tino's number, her voice warm and satiny.

"Tino can we try this again?"
paul_HArkonen
17:20:25Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Home

Blaze paced slowly around his room. He and Max hadn't sat down just to eat and talk in soo long, and he didn't want to ruin it. I've never been any good at this. I always seem to say something that makes it all go down the tubes.

Continuing his slow pace around the room Blaze worked at composing himself, and working out how to start his conversation with Max. Maybe ask him about the evening. No, He's working and that means he shouldn't be telling me, even if he's willing. Maybe Melissa...? I guess we can talk about that, he's helped me with my quest, maybe it'll be enough to "break the Ice"

Blaze's pacing had ceased, leaving him standing in front of a mirror, looking at himself. God, I look like a train wreck. I guess not sleeping, and not really stopping to shave can do that to a man. Heading back into his bathroom Blaze turned up the water. As steam poured slowly out of the shower Blaze stripped off his pants. Turning the temperature down slightly Blaze stepped into the shower, leting the hot water wash away some of his fatque, both mental and physical. Standing in the stream of water he let the pounding of each drop help wash away his tension. I'm doing all that I can to help Melissa, now we have to leave it to the Leopard's will.

Stepping out of the Shower Blaze's skin was covered by goose bumps. Drying himself he began to focus on the evening. Two hours till I have to be there. Pulling his worn Razor out of its stand he cleaned himself off. Stepping into a clean pair of pants he slid the chain of his Focus over his head. Light danced off the silver head of the Leopard on his chest as he stretched his limbs.

Sliding on a shirt he adjusted the Necklace to place it in a more comfortable, and concealed position. Walking towards the Garage under his home he prepared to go talk to the one person he ever truly considered family.
grendel
11:32:03 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex - Los Angeles, CFS

"Ah, bella signora, if i had a nuyen for every time a woman said that to me...." Drago chuckles ruefully. "In any case, I assume you're referring to our most rudely interrupted meeting? If so, the deal still stands. You know where to find me."
WinterRat1

The Easter Bunny laughs and shakes its head ruefully. "So then, we could perhaps say that pride, stubbornness, and survival instinct prevent you from asking for help then? Fair enough, I suppose. At least as an answer to my question."

He continues talking, either not noticing (or not caring) that Talia is trying to change her appearance, which incidentally, is not happening. "What makes you so certain there is nothing of you in this 'future'. Are you so self-aware that you can say this with total confidence?"

He grins, an odd thing coming from a rabbit. "One person's hell is another person's heaven. Are you so certain that this hell of yours today will not be your paradise tomorrow? What do you live for then, in the 'normal' world? Tell me, when your time is up, what circumstances do you wish to be living under when it's time to go?"
banditf50
16:51:38 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - at the Fox and Hound

" . . .please leave a message after the beep. Beep!"

Eh, it was worth a try.
"Good evening Inleat, Virgil here. My associate and I will be enjoying yoru hospitality at the tavern for some time this evening, if you get a chance give me a call and we can discuss some new meeting plans. I hope that everything is going ok with you. Thanks again for the fine meal tonight."

With that the shaman set to sipping his ale and browsing the menu as he waited for Dragon to arrive, perhaps a warm meal holding down his stomach would help his headache to subside.
Sedna

Pride, oh yes. Maybe above all.

"I don't know what will be the case tomorrow," she states bluntly in answer to the first question, the latent irritation over not having control over her own appearance expressing through the increasingly caged-feline stride. "I know what is the case now. Like I said, I don't go in for divination."

What do you live for then ...?

"Tell me first what's the normal world and I'll tell you if I live in it or not. If we match, it'll be a first. Actually, tell me first: what do you live for?"
Cedric Rolfsson
21:15:20 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Caveman Kate's

Erebus took a couple of seconds to review the data, looking for angles and wondering what risks this task posed.

Hmmmm, I'm just riding shotgun for another runner. That means that I have a least a minimal amount of mobility, I'm not going to have to set myself up as the clay pigeon to get the job done. Thats a plus. It also means I get to work with a local runner without having to put it totally on the line. Another plus. I wonder who this other runner is?

"Hmmm, I like the sound of it Max but who is the other runner? Do you know who that is and maybe a way I can contact them prior to pick up? It sounds like a good deal but I'm not keen on showing up and asking around in the crowd to determine which of them I will be preforming semi legal activities with."
WinterRat1

The bunny shrugs. "I keep telling you, and you keep hearing, but not listening. I, all of us that you've met thus far, the little girl, the woman about your age. We are all here to help you. But like your 'friend' Mara, you refuse to give us your hand. Unfortunately, we cannot say to you 'take our hand'."

He shakes his head. "Our time here is fast coming to an end. Make no mistake, no matter how it ends, you will be back. This may be the first time you are here, but it will not be the last."

Before she can snarl defiance, that none control her destiny but her, before she can say the almost requisite, 'or so you'd like to think' or the always classic 'or else what', he concludes, "Or you will never grow, despite your best efforts. And whether you like it or not, such will be the case."

"Allow me to be clear. We live to help you. You refuse our help. Unfortunately, it is not our choice in this matter. It was none of our choices, yours included. Our situation is the result of the choices of others, and like it or not, we must all live with it. So tell me, how do you want this visit to end?"

He extends a paw. "Will you give us your hand? Or continue to thrash and drown? And if I may remind you, forks not taken cease to exist."
Morgannah
11:32:47 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex - Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo laughed softly. "Mm, somehow I doubt you get that a lot, Signor, but yes, I was referring to our business. I'll see you soon." She flipped the phone shut again, and took one last glance over Megan Richards' bank statements. She could live like this for three months, according to her records, but the discretionary fund was a good deal smaller than she was used to.

"Details," she chuckled, gracefully uncurling from her comfortable little perch and striding off toward her bedroom and the first costume change of the day.

It was a solid half hour before she deemed herself ready to face the outside world; all traces of her earlier turmoil had vanished and as if to illustrate the point, she tied a pretty pink scarf around her neck and brushed her cheeks with a light dust of shimmering powder. While there were some who faced life with body armor and a revolver, or even magic, Cosmo knew that a few cosmetics and a silken scarf made her just as deadly.

She grabbed a buttery soft ivory handbag and very nearly laughed out loud as she twirled on her way out the door, having thought of the perfect costume for her dinner date.

Il Grano first, though, she amended, even as the prospect of a bit of shopping gave her a giddy thrill. A quick run over to Sean's place, too, and then we shop.
Sedna

They live to help me. I suppose it passes for an answer, for now. She'd shake her head in sheer disbelief; but instead she shrugs: why not? It's an upside down world. If those are the rules they exist by, so be it. I'll figure the rest of it out later. Sounds like there'll be a lot of later's.

The sudden weight of all this, plus a day and a night and a good deal more flirting with little or no rest, comes crashing down on her all at once.

And, as she takes the paw in her left hand -- and has an interesting moment battling down an unexpected direction of sudden perceived escape, the instinct strong enough in her that the edges of the rabbit's fur should have been sacrificed to it --
grendel
11:55:07 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex - Los Angeles, CFS

Drago nurses a mojito at the bar, shaking his head ruefully at Cosmo's approach.

"You're getting cruel in your young age, insulting my skills at the manly art of wenching. I had to rearrange my entire morning just to prove you wrong. And now these old bones are aching because of it. But, down to business. Show me what you've got."
Morgannah
11:55:17 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo breezed into the restaurant, a playful smile teasing around the corners of her lips as she caught sight of her exhausted fixer. She laughed softly, lightly patting his cheek while she slid onto the barstool beside his.

"I think you heard what you wanted to, Tino," she dimpled though her eyes darkened meaningfully, "but I'm sure your women are glad I called."

"As for business, I brought three boxes; these are their serial numbers in case you wanted to confirm before I wheeled them in." Cosmo slid a small sheet of paper across the bar.
grendel
11:55:41 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"It matters not. Take them around back to Ilia, he'll take care of them. What did we agree on? Eight k each? Five per box, three boxes, means one twenty k. Fifteen percent off the top is eighteen k for me, one oh two k for you. Certified cred acceptable?"

Drago offers a slim credstick.
Morgannah
11:56:02 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

An eyebrow arches delicately as Tino very nearly pushes the credstick on her; a hint of a chuckle twitches around her lips but never escapes.

Good thing I didn't order a drink .. he'd be funnelling it down my throat!

"If I didn't know any better, Drago, I'd say you were trying to get rid of me." Cosmo chuckles and leans back casually. "And we'd discussed twenty percent as your cut this time 'round. I can bring you the change later on today, if this is a bad time...."
grendel
11:56:36 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"Prego, signora, do not impugn my honor further. I would never seek to cut short one of your visits. Keep the six for now, as a marker for future use of your services. Someone of your talents could be of great use to me."

Drago sips from his glass again, dipping his head to Cosmo.
Tiredronin
16:47:38 Saturday, 6 January, 2063 - Once again outside the Puyallup Street Clinic

Daedalus snaps off a picture of the retrival drone and turns his attention back toward the clinic to see what the drone had left behind.

Drat, I'd love to find out where this guy is working from, but I guess we don't have many options to work with just yet.

Far off in the distance, Daedalus is dimly aware of his stomach speaking up to remind that he hasn't had anything to eat since he woke up.

Morgannah
11:56:51 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Il Grano Restaurant, Los Angeles, CFS

"Agreed." Cosmo inclined her head slightly and grinned. "I'll look forward to hearing from you." The credstick disappeared into the folds of her longcoat between one blink of an eye and the next and even though she'd teased him earlier about cutting their meeting short, she slid off the barstool.

"Take care of yourself, Signor." She wiggled her eyebrows and was gone as quickly as she had come in, pausing in her headlong rush toward Chanel only long enough to bring the three boxes around to Ilia. She barely saw the hundred nuyen tip she pressed into his hands.

18:07:11 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

Her head was still spinning more than six hours later when she'd finally made her way back to her little apartment, a garment bag slung carefully over her arm. Cosmo thought back to the veritable storm of shopping she'd just put herself through (with still more "work" to finish up in the morning) and couldn't help but laugh. The personal shopper she'd hired for today and tomorrow was earning her pay, doing a fabulous job of bringing the best that the City of Angels had to offer. She had a suite at the Argyle for crying out loud, enough new accessories to sink a battleship, and all those lovely new clothes strewn haphazardly over every surface in the sitting room made her seriously reconsider her plans for the evening.

Well, she reconsidered for half a second and chuckled, discarding the idea just as quickly.

"No," she whispered, settling a few items beside the vanity mirror. There was no way she was going to pass up on 'dinner and a movie'....
grendel
18:25:03 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

Sliding past the security with the same ease as before, Caska makes his way to Cosmo's door. Knocking twice, he stands to the side again, listening to the soft footfalls from within. This time, he holds a single orchid in front of the peephole.
Morgannah
18:25:11 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

Cosmo had been fiddling with her hair for a solid ten minutes before she heard a familiar (insistent) knock on her door. Laughing softly as she spied the single bloom, she tied off the long silky robe that was still settling about her and opened the door. The one eyebrow that arched so severely at his earliness in arriving was wholly at odds with the deep dimples that peeked out of her cheeks. Clearly, she was glad to see him.
grendel
18:27:43 Wednesday 03 January 2063 - Riverwalk Apartment Complex, Los Angeles, CFS

Caska smiles, a mixture of genuine pleasure and predatory hunger.

"Perhaps I should come ten minutes early next time?"

He steps inside, closing the door behind him and leaning against it. He's dressed a little more casually this time: a dark gray long coat over a black Vashon Island Actioneer suit. Only the electric blue of his shirt sets off the severity of the outfit. A heavy pistol is tucked in a holster behind his right hip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012