Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
WinterRat1
0346 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Despite the obvious hints dropped by the exotic, sexy corporate girl who's obviously way too high class for a street scuzz like himself, the ork decides not to take (or just flat out doesn't get) the hint. However, it's pretty apparent that the crowd around him does. Quickly whispers start circulating around the two of them, and snide comments start flying.

"Who is that hoser..."

"Pssh...what a loser..."

"Thinking he can't get with a girl like that...?"

"Get lost..."

"Find a new club..."

Although he's trying to ignore the comments, it's soon clear that the disdain of the crowd is starting to affect him. He begins blushing, and is quickly sweating visibly. Suddenly and without warning, he is jarred suddenly from behind, and it is only with great effort he catches himself and avoids a humiliating faceplant. Whirling angrily, it is obvious that he is eager to save face, and maybe extricate himself from this rapidly cascading debacle.

"What the frag chummer, you got a problem with me?"

Both he and Alianna are visibly surprised by the person confronting him. On some level, they both thought that help would come in the form of a big, strong opponent. Instead, it is a short, wiry elf, who simply responds with a stone-faced glare.

Spreading his arms out wide, the ork starts getting up in the elf's face. "Wassa matter slitch? You hear me? You got something to say to me?"

Again. Silence. "You deaf? Got no rocks? Huh? Think you bad? You think you bad!!!" The ork makes a vulgar gesture with his hips, and the elf moves suddenly, swiftly, and Alleycat can only make out the barest outline of his movements.

Its results are crystal clear however, as the ork ends up flat on his back gasping for air, clawing at his throat.

Standing casually, as if the ork were beneath him (which is, in a literal sense, quite true), elf says quietly, coldly, "Leave the lady alone. And don't let me see you around her again."

Scrambling away, the ork quickly vanishes into the crowd, to the tittering laughter of the crowd.

Turning to Alleycat, he bows slightly to her, "I hope I have been of service to you milady."

Blushing slightly (on purpose, of course) she smiles lightly. "Most certainly," she replies, falling instinctively into a more formal mode of speech. "Is there anything I can do to repay your gallantry?" Hmm...he's pretty handsome...and he definitely has skills. I wonder if he's one of the people we're looking for?

Rising from his bow, he requests, "If I may be so bold as to inquire of my lady, may I request the honor of greeting you?" He makes his request in Sperethiel, and to show her understanding she nods and holds out her hand, which he takes gently in his own, hands that seem too soft to have acted with the violence displayed mere seconds ago.

Raising her hand carefully, he kisses it politely and delicately, as if handling a fragile flower. "My name, my dear lady, is Sivalius Lorningren. May I have the honor of your name?"

While greatly flattered and even intrigued by this character who seems strangely out of place in Seattle's club scene, she can't help but wonder, What will Blaze think of this?

Glancing over to where she knows the shaman to be, their eyes meet across the dance floor and time seems to stop as their gazes lock in on one another...
banditf50
1341 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Quickly cinching the worn robe around his slight waist Virgil still couldn't move fast enough to out-run his own modesty, and he quickly felt as cheeks flush ever so slightly at the thought of standing naked before his friend.

"Clothes, armor; those can be replaced. It's not as if I lost anything impor . . ." A shiver of panic runs up Virgil's spine as he clutches absently at the bare area of skin over his solar-plexus.

. . . bare! . .

"Juliette! Where is . . " Virgil stops short as he spies Jeremiah's rosary rosary resting in the bottom of the plastic crate. Ever so gently the shaman lifts the heirloom by the mother-of-perl cross but does not place it around his neck, instead he feels comforted by twining the topaz beads across his fingers, taking solace in it's nearness.

Remembering that their situation was far to grave for personal reverie Virgil shifts his gaze back to the shourded Juliette. "Instead of clothes I'd settle for some protective gear so that you can put me to work."

Before his fellow shaman can reply Virgil blurts out . .
"Dragon and Sybersnake are waiting outside, they will have to be deconaminated as well after our car ride."
Shadowrunner13
12:55:12 Thursday 03 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou is a little surprised with the delivery point.

"This doesn't look like any place to take a corp's niece..." he thought to himself.

"6461 Woolfes Lane, please," Tenmou tells the cabbie.

He wanted to see where he would be obtaining Miss Omura from and find a spot not too far from her residence until the needed time. He now had to consider that his biggest obstacle might be Miss Omura herself.
Sedna

Sperethiel is a language which lends itself to nuance and tragic utterances even in its more basic forms. "Alas, in residing in this fair city, I have yet to undergo the Rite of Pronouncement, so I must go simply by Alianna." Her left hand still up to her mouth in admiring amazement at what she has just seen, she retrieves her other gloved hand as soon as etiquette makes it possible. "I must admit some embarrassment. For you have rescued me, and so I feel as though I should know you; and yet I feel quite certain that had we met before, I could not but have remembered ...?"
paul_HArkonen

Blaze's temper is still under control, just slightly. Blaze, wake up, she isn't yours, and she can talk to anyone she wants. Somehow, the red haze is receeding from his vision, slowly, but it is receeding. Watching the two of them converse in Elvish Blaze continues to moniter the sidelines for the person who may have set them up, when it dawns on him. That elf could be the one who set them up.

With that thought Blaze stands up and slowly begins to move his way towards Alleycat. Although he lacks her grace Blaze still has enough of Leopard's grace to avoid any unforchunate collisions. Making his way slowly through the crowd Blaze replays the brief fight over again in his mind, thinking to himself how hard it would be to take him down if it became necessary.
banditf50
1343 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

"While it appears the virus is spreading through body fluids at the moment, Galina, Trank, and I have decided to take no chances and decon each contact that we come across. Everyone who rode with the girl needs to be tended to."

Handing Virgil a pair of surgeon booties Juliette continued, "These probably won't be very comfortable, but they will make the floor seem less cold while we scrounge around for replacement shoes. I'll send someone outside to get your friends."

"Wait, I don't want to tax your resources more than vitally necessecary. Is my cell available? I'll just call Dragon and have them come inside, that way you can avoid having to decon anyone that would go make contact with them."

"Galina is still examining the rest of your carry items. I had her cleanse your rosary as a priority, I figured that at a time like this you would not wish to part with it for long." A knowing smile creeps across her lips.

"I've got to run and get ready for the decon of your two friends. You can contact them with the telecom out in the reception area. Tell them to wait five minutes before entering the clinic so that we can clear the reception area."

That glimpse of relaxation evident in her smile vanished as Juliette jumped back into action, darting towards the nearby intercom to page Trank.

"Trank, we have to prep decon again. Get your self to the observation room now!"

"Come on Virgil you too, get a move on. When your done with the call grab yourself a mask and a pair of gloves, Galina wants to speak with you back in exam #2."

Striding over to the telecom Virgil tried in vain to minimize the contact his practically bare feet had to make with the icy tile. Reaching what had to be a model at least 10 years behind SOTA Virgil punched up Dragon's number.

"What the frag Virgil! We can't sit out front forever with our hoops blowing in the wind!"

"No time to talk Dragon. You and Sybersnake need to get in here in five minutes. Before you do call your sister and see about getting replacement clothes for all of us. No time for questions . . .I'm out."

Anyone else might have been confused or scared by such a curt message, but not Dragon. Truth be told he responded best to orders given with a quick efficiency. He'd be ready, but he would not like the surprise in store.

Pulling on the mask and elbow-length gloves Virgil paced back across the icy tile and down to exam #2.

Sedna
1343 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

The call didn't startle Dragon -- after all, he'd been expecting something -- but it came jarringly to his current frame of mind.

At that, it also came almost a minute before four masked and gloved people he doesn't recognise swarm out of the clinic toward the car. Without the warning, it was possible that his reaction might have been different.
Sedna
1345 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Through the door that Tiffany had taken but apparently in the opposite direction, Exam #2 turns out to be a small room whose only furniture is a single, dinged (but clean) bed, with clean roll-through sheets and stirrups. No chair. Virgil guessed that there wouldn't be very much time to sit down on this job.

Galina walks in then, wordlessly places the box with the last of Virgil's items in his hands. The datajack in her temple gleams dully in the buzzing fluorescents. Her eyes are sunken deep with exhaustion.

The door opens. Someone Virgil doesn't know slides another plastic carton inside: "Juliette thought these would fit you, close enough." The shapeless bundle turns out to be sweats, and jeans, and a pair of sneakers that doesn't (but yes, close enough for now).

"Can beHeal, ka?" The exhaustion showed in her voice. "Can beCleanse?"
grendel
13:31:27 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

If the cabbie is surprised by the change in locations, he doesn't show it. Afternoon traffic has thinned, but the trip across town still takes almost half an hour. The dilapidated row houses and empty strip malls give way to steel and glass high rise apartment buildings, serviced by the latest in automated convenience stores and restaurants. 6461 Woolfes Lane is a little different, only four stories tall, but appears to be an expensive apartment complex.
banditf50
1347 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Setting the box of his personal items on the floor Virgil proceeds to pull on the worn jeans up under his borrowed robe, trying to avoid exposing himself.

"Thank you for everything Galina. I don't know how much use I can be to you and the others. I can heal, but only wounds and I cannot use any cleansing or anti-disease spells. I am willing though, anything I can do to take the stress off of those that are healing, let me know."
WinterRat1
0347 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Letting her gloved hand leave his with only the slightest, but appropriate, hint of reluctance, he answers Alianna's question, "My dear lady, had I the privilege of meeting you before, I am quite certain I would have done everything in my power to ensure that you would not forget me. And I am even more certain that I would not, could not, have forgotten you. Ah, but I digress. If I may ask, what is it that brings you to the Paradigm Shift this evening?"
Sedna
0347 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

"Ah," says Alianna ruefully, with a brief glance in Blaze's direction, "I dragged my date across the city to see kore." The word and inflection she uses suggests a degree of loyalty, if not binding commitment. "But he is not really a fan, and the whole thing somewhat backfired" -- that last word, in English. Does Sperethiel even have a word for "backfired"? It must surely have ...

"And you, sir? if I might ask what brings you here, besides the incidental rescuing of damsels in distress?"
Sedna
2030 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

At least Solomon had left a thick folder of printout on the countertop, with Andie written across the front. The mage sighed, setting aside the phone for now (after that one last attempt, of course). I still have to deal with the "scroll", too. I'd better get that cleaned up before Sara comes down in the morning.

But he was tired, so very tired ...
WinterRat1

Without the warning, none of the four would have made it within touching distance of Dragon. As it was, even appropriately warned and prepared for such a possibility, he nearly raised and fired the Spas before he reminded himself that these were friends, or at least, allies, here to help.

Still, it never paid to be too sure..."What's going on?" He asked when one of them was close enough to hear his raised voice, but not close enough that he couldn't splatter the man all over the street if he had to. "Dragon, right? Virgil told us to help you and your friend. That girl you brought with you was infected, and we need to get you both, and your stuff, through detox."

Nodding, Dragon answered, "OK. But I want my weapons and armor back. Detox them if you have to, but when I'm out, I expect them returned, intact."

The man nods. "Virgil told us you'd say that. Weapons and armor, and the lady's electronic equipment, will be detoxed first then. You'll have to make do with some donated clothes then, just to let you know."

Nodding once, Dragon turns to Sybersnake. "We're going to have to chance it. The girl was infected with something, and we need to get it taken care of."

"Aren't you worried about the drone?" she asked, and for a moment he couldn't tell if she was serious or sarcastic. Deciding it wasn't really important at this moment, he replied, "Yes I am. But the last thing we need is to be walking around with diseases on top of dealing with all the other people who want a piece of us. It's just a risk we'll have to take."

Climbing out of the car, Sybersnake was careful to keep her head down, looking at the ground, resisting the urge to look up, knowing she couldn't see the drone anyway. It wasn't much, but it was better than flagrantly advertising to the drone that yes, it was her.

As they hustled inside with the clinicians, Dragon dialed up Susan. Almost immediately, she picked up. "Sunrise," he transmitted.

"Are you ok? Is everything all right?" Despite his code phrase, Susan's worry showed through her otherwise calm demeanor. "I'm fine. We hit a few snags though, so I'm going to need clothing for more than just Sybersnake and Tiffany. After you pick up the stuff at her drop, go clothes shopping for Virgil, Tiffany, and myself. I'll contact you when we're clear to meet you. Thanks a lot sis. I'm out."

Then he cut the connection, knowing she got the message, and not wanting to stay on any longer than absolutely necessary. As they entered the clinic, he mentally triggered the his self-diagnosis to scan himself, with the information to display itself on his image link. Here's where we start seeing what this baby can do. The biomonitor and self-diagnosis processor should pick this up, whatever we're infected with. Maybe that'll give me a better idea of what's going on before they try to explain things to me.
WinterRat1
0348 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Afflecting mock indignation, the elf playfully answers, "I assure you, for one as lovely as yourself, the opportunity to assist you could hardly be described as merely 'incidental'. I am here to relax for the evening, the same as most others here, I would imagine."

Glancing around, he spots Blaze moving through the crowd towards them. Turning his head slightly in that direction, he continues speaking, "I assume this is the date you spoke of. I hope I have not been intrusive by assisting you, but if I may be so bold, may I request the honor of your company another night, when you are not...otherwise engaged?"
Sedna
1347 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Had Virgil stripped naked in the process of changing, the troll probably would not have noticed. "Sook," she says. "We're temp-jinked, ka? Scry Juliette, you're bucket detail, she beCleanse till your mates clear decom. Then debunk them two an' scram, we needs the space."
Sedna
0348 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

"I assure you, it would be my pleasure," says Alianna lightly. "May I know how to reach you?"
WinterRat1
0349 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Handing her a blank card with a phone number on it, he answers, "Simply call and leave a message at this number, and I will get back to you as soon as I can." Smiling, Sivalius continues, "I should be going. I do not wish to disturb the rest of your evening, but I wish you a pleasant one, and hope to hear from you soon."

Bowing slightly, he vanishes smoothly and quickly back into the crowd, and within a few seconds, Alianna can barely see him at all. Someone taps her lightly on the shoulder, and she turns around to see Blaze smiling at her, albeit a bit tightly, which is quite obvious to her. "So," he says, trying a bit too hard to keep the conversation light, "what did I miss?"
Shadowrunner13
13:40:23 Thursday 03 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Paying the cabbie with a decent tip, Tenmou stepped out of the cab onto Woolfes Lane. As the cabbie pulled away, he scanned the street, looking for a place to get comfortable until he was due to pick up his mark.

Seeing a coffee shop down the street at a nearby intersection, he strolled down to the shop to find some soykaf and something to eat while keeping an eye on the apartment building.
Sedna

Text scrolls across Dragon's retinas:
systems: nominal
baseline: found
self-diagnostic: 17/alpha, reroute default /b

When he had first gotten it installed, that part used to confuse the heck out of him, until he'd discovered that the system wasn't actually diagnosing him yet, but instead was running a diagnostic on itself, using the baseline records it had on him for comparison. When he learned something more about just how many and what kind of living organisms shared his body space on a regular basis, he understood a little better -- and tried very hard to put it out of his mind.
self-diagnostic: complete
diagnostic //Vincent: yes/no? yes
multiple contaminants found
  • cryptosporidium ?

It was an irony of modern life that in the middle of nowhere, diagnosis was generally textbook-straightforward, and equally textbook-straightforward to treat. But in places such as the Seattle Barrens, at the crossroads where cultures and cell cultures and contaminants and radiation and who knew what else mixed, Dragon had already found that the question mark or asterisk was by far the most common of the "contaminants found". Most times it didn't matter too much: in all the travel he'd done he'd gone through all the standard vaccinations; and when something tried to bite him, even if this version of Montezuma's revenge had an associated question mark, his body generally bit back.
  • campylobacter ?
  • rhinovirus
  • influenzas ...

He let that one scroll down for some time. So somewhere he'd picked up not only bits and pieces of whatever the latest flu pandemic-waiting-to-happen, but also the common cold. Somehow, after VITAS, the common cold just didn't seem that big a thing.
  • ?

I love question marks.
  • orthopoxvirus ?

That one he'd never seen before.
break // query?
> unknown.  87% match  haemorrhagic variola major (extinct)

Apparently not.
initiate: treat
> unknown

Should have seen that one coming. I feel so much better now.
SentineloftheMountain
2030 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

This has been a long day, Andie muses to himself; looking back over what he accomplished today, and massages his tired shoulder and neck muscles to relieve the stress and fatigue from his body.

Andie looks at the clock on the wall and makes sure the shop is locked up for the evening.

Andie walks over to the countertop and braces himself for the worst. What pandora's box has Solomon left me this time, I wonder?

He opens the folder and starts thumbing through the printouts; getting a general idea of what's inside.
Sedna
0350 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

"Not much, I don't think?" Careful to handle the card only by its edges, Alianna puts it away into her purse.

End of this set, backstage, go from there.
WinterRat1
1405 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

As soon as Dragon and Sybersnake entered the clinic, they were immediately hustled off to a changing room by two of the gloved and masked technicians, and instructed to strip their clothes and toss their equipment into a pile. After giving the instructions, they immediately went to join the other two clinicians who were outside, stripping everything out of the car and carrying it into the changing room as well.

Without any discernable embarassment, Dragon quickly stripped himself nude, tossing his stuff into the pile. Much more slowly and reluctantly, Sybersnake began to follow suit. "Doesn't it bother you stripping in front of people?" she demanded, curious how the normally reserved mercenary could be so calm about such an intimate sort of thing.

Looking at her, a bit puzzled, Dragon answered, "Why should I be? It's not like you haven't seen me naked before." With a grin, he added, "And I certainly remember what you look like naked."

"You!" Partly embarrassed and partly pleased that he still thought of her (even if it was in an erotic sort of way...maybe especially because it was in an erotic sort of way) she threw her shirt at him in mock disgust.

Allowing the shirt to hit him in the face, as it slid off his body he arched an eyebrow at her. "I would think you'd be flattered that I think of you that way. It hasn't been so long that I've forgotten how beautiful you are." Slowly running his gaze up and down her now nude body, checking her out, appreciating every inch of her lithe, toned body, he added, "And I can see that my memory is still quite accurate, you're as gorgeous as I," clearing his throat, he looked down at himself, and having drawn attention to the change in his physical state, quickly corrected, "excuse, me, we remember."

Laughing, Selina flushed and turned away slightly to help cover up. The observant Dragon noted that somehow, in turning away to cover up, she actually ended up in more provactive, sexy poses. Of course, it could have been sheer coincidence, since no one really looks all that good standing naked at attention, so anything would be an improvement over that. But...he doubted it was pure coincidence that she suddenly transformed herself from being awkwardly naked to subtlely sensual.

She definitely still has it in all the right places, and in all the right ways Dragon mused to himself. The joking intimacy which came back so naturally served to relieve some of the stress in them that had built up throughout the course of the day, and Dragon couldn't help but feel that their shared moment of openness, of vulnerability, back in the car had gone some distance towards healing their relationship. We've got a ways to go before I'd say everything is fixed, but at least we're moving in the right direction he thought.

Moving into the decontamination chamber, they were quickly disinfected by the gas and the spells, causing Dragon's subsequent bioscan of himself to read much better than before he first walked in, that was for sure. After a short while, they were released from the chamber and met by two of the clinicians.

Handing him his weapons and armor, the clinician said, "We managed to detox your stuff like you asked, but you'll have to make due with whatever you can find in that box for clothes." Nodding his thanks, he allowed Sybersnake to get dressed while he asked, "Where are Virgil and Tiffany?"

"They're in exam #2, down the hall." Handing him a mask and gloves, the man added, "You'll need to put these on as well." Taking the items, Dragon completed getting dressed and thanked the clinicians for their assistance.

Heading down to room 2 with Sybersnake, he walked in as Virgil and Galina looked up from whatever they were doing or discussing. Without preamble, he cut right to the chase. "OK, Virgil what the frag is going on?"
paul_HArkonen
0350 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Studying her for only a moment Blaze decides Alleycat is fine after her encounter. "So, did he have anything interesting to say?"

while he's speaking the song finishes and the band begins to leave after their last set. As they leave Balze leads Alleycat off the dance floor, studying all of the people still in the club, despite the late hour.

Gazing throughout the happy revelers Blaze can't help but think about the suffering that they have never seen, and hopefully never will. To these people the Corps are out to provide for them, to help them survive, and to protect them. Blaze knows the truth, Blaze has experianced the pain caused by corps first hand, and now, with Leopard's help, he will fight to protct them from the corps they so love. My whole life has been filled with the loss of my family at the hands of those "friendly" corps. I will not let them take away the only family I still have. No matter what I will find Melissa, and if it means my death, I will save her.

Looking back at Alleycat he amends, and every other innocent I can.
grendel
13:55:09 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

As Tenmou watches from his vantage point in the coffee shop, at least half a dozen well dressed Japanese businessmen enter or leave the apartment building. Traffic on the street remains constant, the lunch crowd giving way to late afternoon shoppers as well as early commuters heading home. The gray sky overhead continues to threaten snow, and a chill wind whispers off the Sound.
Sedna
0420 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

"Ah, Sperethiel is such an expressive language," teases Alianna -- but only going so far; maybe warned by his expression, she stops well short of saying anything irrevocable ... although she does test his control then, and through the half hour and change she has to go up to each and every band member backstage, and gush out unbelievable sap, and discover to her infinite regret that she had forgotten her camera (but settles for autographs). Blaze is long past fighting the urge to pace: at this point it's testing his reserves not to just get the frag out of there.

One glance stopped him. A single glance -- can you even call it that, when the eyes are never seen? -- and he knew that Alleycat had never once forgotten why they were there.

And for some reason, he suddenly remembered her waving at the camera outside.

She looks tired now, still exhilarated (and maybe just a little drunk), but starting to feel the edge of adrenaline loss -- and he catches her cue easily and says, "Come on, Alianna, let's get you home."
Shadowrunner13
15:01:19 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou stepped out of the coffee shop's bathroom, after a desperate need to relieve himself from all the coffee he had drank. Finding a payphone near the door, he called a taxi service to arrange for pick up at Miss Omura's building for three thirty.

Grabbing his duffle bag, he slowly cleared his table and prepared himself to step out into the cold January air. With ten minutes remaining before his pick up time, Tenmou stepped out of the coffee shop and made his way down to the front of the apartment complex to wait for Miss Omura.
grendel
15:25:05 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Dressed smartly in a Navy blue skirt and blazer beneath a London Fog topcoat, Miss Omura steps through the front door of the apartment complex. She holds a small black purse in both hands, her eyes downcast as she stops in front of Tenmou. She bows respectfully, her long black hair falling forward off her shoulders to hide her face.
Sedna
1405 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

Teammate notwithstanding, Virgil first finished answering Galina's question (once he'd deciphered it) about where he'd found the girl. More or less. Maybe he'd be able to return to that safehouse someday and maybe he wouldn't, but he'd been too long in the shadows to just give up that kind of information. Only then did he turn to Dragon, while the troll's head was still bent in thought.
Sedna
2135 Monday, January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

As the mage starts working his way through the printouts, a sudden icy wind stealing in from some unseen crack sends him into a bout of shivering.

Frag, but this place has draughts. Good thing I'm staying the night (again), his brain amended tiredly. I'd hate to think how cold it is outside.

Thorough job, by the looks of it. The initial cursory glance nets Andie glimpses of registrations, land transfer requisitions, even a copy of what looked like the original deed. He begins to sort the pile out. As he pushes the pile of loose, empty parchment aside to make room, a small piece of paper flutters loose. In Sara's handwriting //

-- Sara gets up at least three times during the short dinner to check on the current emulsion. Although she is paying attention to what Andie is saying, she's clearly more than a bit distracted. "Sure. I'll talk to him" --

// A twinge in Andie's neck. How long has he been staring at that scrap of paper?
Talked to Jeremiah.  He says three million, firm.  He's not looking to train someone.  Sorry - S

Probably that note had been sitting around for a while, maybe even since before he'd gone to check out the warehouse although he doubted that, Sara would have said something.

Bang.

Andie jumps, almost scattering the papers. The entire house shakes, and then the wooden beams creak and settle back as another icy gust of wind coils around his legs. After a moment he settles down: still normal sounds for such an old house but the wind is definitely picking up out there; and it's gotten colder too, even the air smells cold. The shutters are already closed and latched. It's part of the normal lock-up.

With a sigh he replaces the papers into the folder and takes the whole thing into the back room. Cold back here too, but at least the cinderblock construction kills the draughts. Wrapping his sleeping blanket around him, he settles onto the cot and begins to try to read the fine print ...
paul_HArkonen
0420 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - Paradigm Shift

Blaze takes Alleycat's arm and slowly helps her towards the entrance they came in from, through tangle of the backstage wiring. Heading out the door turns briefly back towards the camera over the door and gives them a wave of thanks. Walking with Alleycat back towards the Bike he makes small talk about the band.

Looking briefly at Alleycat.
She is either the most amazing actor I've ever seen, or has some sort of disorder.

Turning back to look ahead, Blaze becomes slightly lost in thought for a few moments, his body language telling Alleycat his thoughts.
Frag it. Still not clues towards her location, or even condition. Stupid fragging corps, still using me, and still ruining the lives of the innocents. However, now I have to combat a different evil, the camp. If nothing else I can try to protect the innocents of that camp from the tyranny of Saito's "Justice".
Sedna
0420 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - on the way, hopefully, to some sleep before the meet

"Wait," she says suddenly, grinning as she's fishing through her purse again, "That place is still open, and I've got a major yen for the sweets."

Almost beyond words at this point, a resigned and emotionally exhausted Blaze pulls into the parking lot of the Sugar Shak (with its huge, radiation-green scoop of ice cream dangling precariously above them), and waits while she fishes through the items she's tucked beneath the seat and then leads him to the small, bulletproof glass window. [We Carry Only Fifty Nuyen.] To his surprise, this time she pays, with a couple of coins out of the purse. It's not until they're eating something cold and sticky and sweet that he has no appetite for, and slowly wandering back in a long, slow parabola toward the bike -- and he'll admit it, with that trail gone cold he's just too tired to be in any kind of hurry now -- that he realises she's forgotten her purse on the ledge where she'd temporarily perched it. He makes a move to go back for it, but she shakes her head sharply. Turning slightly away from him, she pulls off the bronzed lenses and places them in one of her coat pockets -- and when she's turned back to him, she's replaced them with that familiar mirrored visor.

That's when he realises that at some recent point she's fished her own coat inside-out and shoved her hair inside (dark now, in the almost non-existent lighting), and that the only green he's seen for some minutes now was the sickly reflection of the blinking cone against her skin. Even the dress looks drab on her now; he can hardly make it out at all beneath the shadows of the working longcoat.

"If he was a lead," she says quietly, "I have his number, I have the name he uses here, and I might have his fingerprints. However, I might also have his bug. Let me work on this?"

After a moment of sheer startlement, Blaze sees it: "That's why you abandoned the purse."

"That's one of the reasons, yes. It's also a reason we're not going beyond small talk on that bike of yours, not until I ditch a couple more things. You'll be clear of it once you leave me at Dante's Inferno. It's their "Take Back the Decade" weekend ... and the bus station nearby has lockers." Her smile quirks. "Oh" -- she suddenly begins fishing again in the pockets of her coat -- "These should be clear of that, at least -- and they may have some value, if you manage to move them quickly. Our quest to find your cousin won't be cheap, and I can't help you there."

She's holding out to him a small, crinkled envelope. By the feel of it Blaze immediately recognises a credstick, discovers additionally a dozen or so loyal shopper and odd identification cards, all in the name he'd read out before: Karla Everston.
Sedna
0305 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie startles awake, scattering papers.

He's cold.

And his phone is ringing incessantly ... and at this point, quite loudly.
paul_HArkonen
0420 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - on the way, hopefully, to some sleep before the meet (yeah right)

"I can't take these, they're yours, and as much as I apreciate your aid, I can't accept it. You need these as much, perhaps more than I do. Before we go though I want to offer my thanks for your aid. I really apreciate your help."

From his tone Alleycat realizes that this is the first time Blaze has had help in his personal crusade. Alone for his entire life his family means everything to him, and the help means the world to him. But his refusal of the credstick also shows one other thing. His personal honor. He feels that it is his job to help her, and although he apreciates the aid, he won't accept anything like that.

As they aproach the bike again Blaze speaks again, this time in a much more flirting voice.

"I'm glad you enjoyed yourself, I'll give you a ride back home. Can we meet tomorrow? Or are you busy?"

As he starts up the bike Alleycat can see Blaze's exastion, both physical, and mental. The strain of being so close, but missing his chance has cost him something, but she thinks he will be fine in the morning.
banditf50
1415 Saturday January 6th, 2063 - Puyallup Street Clinic

"What the frag" does not even begin to cover what is unfolding on top of this place.

"I have little to offer right now in the way of an explanation Dragon. The girl we brought in is afflicted with some type of hemorrhagic fever, the fourth such case this clinic seen, this is just beginning. Tiffany is filming the girl we just brought in, publicity might be the only chance that these streets stand against a potential epidemic of this bug."

Pausing for a second to allow the gravity of the situation to sink in, Virgil allowed a sigh and tried to sound confident.

"We need to find ourselves a place to lay low for a few hours and put some calls out, maybe plan a few moves in advance. I think it is best that we limit our time spent here so as not to draw unwanted attention to this place, maybe just long enough for me to talk with the women that we brought in yesterday."

Dragon new the tone in the shaman's voice. This place was neutral ground, full of true non-combatants, they had no right to draw the attention of whom ever wanted Sybersnake dead down upon this place.

"Do you know somewhere we can hole up for a few hours Dragon?
SentineloftheMountain
0305 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie starts awake and glances at the clock; adrenalin pumping through his veins. 3am. This had better be important.

He reaches for his phone and rubs his face to wake himself up more. "Hello...."
grendel
03:05:35 09 Tuesday January, 2063 - Seattle LTG

The call waiting icon hovering beside Ice Cube in the matrix thawed into the snow sprite which indicated the line was connected. His virtual persona was already loaded into the commcall utility, and with a thought he started that process. The individual on the other line would see only a hazy outline of a (meta)human, obscured by a hash of electronic snow. His voice, as well, was an electronic construct, compiled from over a dozen different well known public speakers. He'd washed the resulting vocabulary through a synthesizer twice. Anyone trying to reconstruct a true voiceform would waste over a thousand hours of mainframe processing time.

"Good morning. I understand you're in the market for a computer?"
Shadowrunner13
15:25:05 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Feeling slightly underdressed, Tenmou returns Miss Omura's bow.

"Our ride will be along shortly and I will get you to and from your appointment as quickly as possible, Miss."

Tenmou tries to make eye contact with the girl to try and ascertain what she is thinking and feeling.
SentineloftheMountain
0306 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie checks the caller id against the phone number Soloman gave him. This had better be the right guy....

Andie shakes himself awake until his thoughts start making cohesive sentences.

"Yes. Actually, I am in the market for a new computer. It has to be able to run a 6400 mps library program and read optical chips. Do you think you can help me out??"
grendel
15:35:27 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Miss Omura keeps her eyes downcast, not meeting Tenmou's gaze, and making no attempt at conversation. When the cab arrives at the curb, she waits for her companion to make the first move.
grendel
03:06:18 09 Tuesday January, 2063 - Seattle, LTG

Having anticipated the request, Ice Cube had the list of gear he had on hand displayed in an open window. It took him barely a moment to check for the request.

"I have that equipment on hand. You can have it for the low, one-time only price of 9700 nuyen."
Sedna
0450 Saturday, January 6, 2063 - outside Dante's Inferno

After Blaze, at her request (and even at that she had to repeat and reassure that some things still needed doing, and she couldn't do them at her place -- and that she wasn't about to let a possible homing beacon go there in any case), lets her off at the bus station near Dante's Inferno -- sound level, even filtred through those walls, still flirting with some city ordinances and probably simply ignoring quite a few more -- and even as she quickly works on the harness and shucks back into the ultravest she's still considering how she could have presented the proposal better, not "aid" as such, just incidental resources picked up in the pursuit of the quest, to be used in pursuit of the quest.

Although perhaps there was no "better". Some kinds of honour are illogical like that.

Still, it leaves her with the problem of how to convert something that might or might not have any third-party value into nuyen, as well as the question of how to deal with the card now inside one of the station lockers, tucked in behind the nameplate along with the burnt matchbook. (Until she's sure, she's not taking either of those anywhere near the Last Drop. She's already got the number scanned anyway.)

In a moment of insight she suddenly realises that the last might also be the easiest: why not just ask Hobbes? Even against the fingerprints? She'd met the elf in pursuit of the job she'd been sent on, after all ... sort of ... and that could explain the identifications just as well. I wonder if she'd accept what's in the envelope against that tab I'm running up? Remembering the early-morning shift in the crowd demographics at the Paradigm Shift, Alleycat smiles to herself: it's not unlikely that Hobbes knows the guy.

Half an hour, until she could legitimately catch the cross-bus to connect with her regular line. "Anne" holds to routine. While "Anne" remains secure, it's changing the pattern that would attract attention. It's even legit to be a quarter of an hour early, if she's using it to bolt soykaf and breakfast while helping open topside, especially after having been woken by another collection agency call. Puta madre, Grail, I know it adds to the SIN's solidity, but I really could have done without that detail.

No shower and she'd miss that, no sunrise ritual and she'd miss that more, but she had her work uniform and the rest of her clothing back to the way it had been, and them's the breaks, Alleycat. Then she shook her head hard: just for a moment, the name that had nearly come into her mind had been very different. Definitely needing to get her head on straight, before going on from this place.

There's times when it's almost not worth bothering with sleep ...
SentineloftheMountain
0307 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie is skeptical by the offer. That is way too low a price, he thinks to himself.

"That sounds too good to true. What's the catch? This computer didn't fall off a truck, did it?
grendel
03:07:41 09 Tuesday January, 2063 - Seattle LTG

Well there's something you don't see everyday, a runner asking to pay more for his gear.

"I see where your confusion lies, young grasshopper. Too long you have suffered beneath the repressive marketing jackboot of the corporations. Cast off your chains! You don't have to pay the two hundred percent mark-up that most electronics stores mandate! Plastic and silicon are cheap when you go to the source, and when you take away medical, dental, 401K, PTO, and all that drek, man-hours aren't that expensive either. Sure, your new machine isn't going to come in that nice, pretty Novatech case with matching stickers, but it'll run the programs null sweat. Probably more reliably, as well. So what's it going to be, omae, can we deal or am I wasting air time?"

Ice Cube flips through the latest catalog from HHH, pausing momentarily at the Holly Brighton schoolgirl avatar skin.

Sweet Jesus!
SentineloftheMountain
0307 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Alright, relax. Don't get your patties in a bunch. For that price I will take three computers then for 29,100 nuyen.gif total. When can they be delivered and how do you want the money transfers to you??
grendel
03:08:15 09 Tuesday January, 2063 - Seattle LTG

"Hmm, I wasn't informed that you would be wanting more than one machine. That's going to delay delivery time by twenty four hours. Thursday, noon, Key to the Future electronics shop. This is a cash business, so certified cred is best. But if all you have is a personal stik I think we can make arrangements. Payment on delivery. Anything else?"

Ice Cube tried to keep the impatience out of his voice. He preferred to deal avatar to avatar, at the speed of the matrix, rather than relying on voice interface. How antiquated.
SentineloftheMountain
0308 Tuesday, January 9, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"No. That will be it for now. I'll see you on Thursday."

Andie hangs up the phone and goes to check on the circulation while he is up. Everything looks OK. Still a little soft with the furnace damped down for the night. Good.

Andie then goes back to sleep. Tomorrow will be a long day
Shadowrunner13
15:36:32 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Tenmou steps forward and pulls the cab door open, motioning to Miss Omura.

"After you, Miss."
grendel
15:36:45 Thursday 04 January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Miss Omura dips her head again, and in a voice soft enough that Tenmou might not have heard her at all, replies "Arigato." She seats herself in the backseat of the cab with bird-like grace, smoothing her skirt down over her legs and folding her hands in her lap.
Moirdryd
02:30, Saturday, 6th January 2063 - Seattle, UCAS

Walking through the poorly lit and lonely streets of southside Tacoma with his securetech longcoat pulled tight about him, a slender protection against the chill of the air. Knight pauses beneath a flickering street lamp and almost reluctantly pulls a hand from within the warmth of a pocket in the coat. Peering down he uses the dim glare lighting of the street lamp to read from a folded shred of paper.

The Slumber Stop. Cartrun Avenue. Southside Tacoma

He`d checked the address a thousand times since he`d entered this district of the city. Finally though across the street lay his objective. Knight`s eyes studied the building. It looked old but solid and more importantly quiet.

Taking a deep breath he steps from the sidewalk and begins to cross the street.

Just like Europe all over again, those first few days. Except you aren't with me this time Harvey. So I`m without your list of friends in these shadows chummer. Well thats not entirely true, you did connect me with Calvin. He did good by you and he`s been good by me so far.

Knight steps up and into the lobby of the coffin hotel. Silently his steps take him to the small reception desk manned by a bored old looking dwarf.

" I`ve a bed booked. Mr Knightington. Reserved by phone yesterday" His voice with its soft lilting European accentation seems to rouse the dwarf a little from his entrancement with the Trideo screen he had been watching.

"Whats that? Knightington eh?" the dwarf turns to a small computer screen behind the desk "Gotcha right here...said you were meant to be here 10 o`clock last night..."

Knight cuts the dwarf off mid sentence.

"I was unavoidably delayed. I believe everything has been handled in advance? Yes?, My passkey then if you please" his soft and cultured tones clipping harshly, sounding of a man too tired to deal with basic pleasantries right now.

The dwarf mutters something about `ungracious elves` and passes a slumber-coffin maglock passkey to Knight over the desk.

"There you go and yeh, everything is booked up nicely for the next couple of weeks" with a few more muttered words he turns back to the Trideo and `Survivor; Renraku Arcology` that is showing `live` at this hour.

Knight turns away and heads down the adjacent corridor passing rows of heavy duty steel `coffins` that make up the rental space of the coffin hotel. He stops finding number 266 and punches in the access code. With a smooth `shh` the door swings open. He quickly survey`s the small corridor, empty and silent at this hour. Shrugging his coat off he Knight slides that along with the carryall from over his shoulder into the small space. Then with another smooth action the Katana the coat had been concealing is slipped in along the opposite edge before he himself steps up and enters the coffin like cubicle. Securing the door at his feet.

Yawning Knight rests back for a moment before slipping the cyberterminal out from the carryall and plugging it into the matrix jackpoint within the coffin. Breathing a small sigh of relief noting that at least some matrix access had already also been pre-paid for he puts the trode unit into place over his eyes and logs in from the Slumber Stop`s host.

Wish you were here with me Skate. I`m pretty sure i`m clean like this at the moment, but I could really use your decker`s touch. Hope you and Harvey get a better deal next life around. You both deserve it.

With his momentary musings past, Knight wastes no more time in constructing a simple message and sending it on its way to Calvin`s anonymous drop box.

= Calvin. In town fine. Love my new doss. Got to catch up with you soon. You name the place as you know the city. You got my number. Knight=

Feeling the exhaustion of the past few days catching up with him he jacks out and disconnects the cable. Putting the cyberterminal away he rests back, wincing a little at the bruises the fast exit from the Tir left him with. His heavy lids close for the first time in over 48 hours and he drifts into a welcome unconsciousness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012