Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Living in the Shadows: IC
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
SentineloftheMountain
1337 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"I would be willing to invest in one unit for now. However, my commitments for this batch are getting high, and I don't want to make a promise to you I can't keep, Jack. I'll have a better idea how many units will be generated latter this month"

Andie gauges Jack's response this statement, "If you have patience with me I do plan on running another batch after this one has been completed and I can commit to giving you the first completed unit to the debt."

Andie thinks about everything he will need to make this move work. "At the very least I will need to move into the place and have the workshop equipment installed with any needed renovations to accomplish this completed by the end of this month, so I will be able to continue working without interruption on other things or any special orders. Do you feel this can be accomplished to everyone's satisfaction??"

"Unless", as the idea occurs to him, "you can offer me a better deal, Jack??"
WinterRat1
1119 January 6, 2063 - Street Outside if Tommy Wong's

Halting abruptly at Tiffany's statement, Dragon nods sharply. "All right then. How long will it take for the medkit to finish processing and kick in?"

Still scanning the street for targets, his gaze shifts upwards to look for the sniper, while part of his mind scans the radio frequencies for any new units that may have been dispatched at the reports of magic use, gunshots, and an elemental. However, he still finds a moment to flash a quick smile at the reporter. "Got it all on tape, huh? Not bad. There's your story for the day, eh?"

Checking out the upper floors and roofs, trying to locate the sniper, he thinks, Man, we really need to get Virgil a radio. "Hang in there Syber, let the medkit process and Virgil get over here, then we'll beat feet."

Slow hooped mage. Get over here slowpoke!
Sedna

"No, that's my story for the po-lice, if they try to nail you for instigating this," says Tiffany coolly, almost pulling Dragon away from his scan of the area. He was fairly sure he'd narrowed down the building ... "Unless you'd prefer her face splashed all over the evening news?" Something beeps in her hand and she nods to herself: "Got it. Let's roll."

Then, as if something had just occurred to her, she glances back at the alley mouth. "Can you walk on your own, Virgil?" she asks in a low, focused voice which makes it to Virgil's ears and not much beyond. And then she adds, more urgently, "Will they be able to trace your signature?"
Sedna
1339 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"I am taking a lot on faith here, Andie." For a short, irrational moment, Andie feels as if he's let the other down. "I think you will be able to put more of yourself into your work than you are willing to admit."

A short pause. Andie tries to think what to say to this.

"Let us put it this way," the fixer says quietly. "For a single unit of orichalcum, I could put you in touch with all the people you need for your warehouse project and arrange for the initial renovations to be done by the end of this month, per your supplied plans and your supplied equipment; and have that building background check done; and pay you besides five thousand nuyen now and twenty thousand nuyen later -- which should more than cover your service charges -- but only if you give it to me at the end of this circulation. This would include all standard renovation materials such as drywall and carpeting, but not special items such as fireplaces and wood panelling.

"If I have to wait until the end of your next circulation, the bargain changes. Significantly."
SentineloftheMountain
1339 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"All right, Jack. I'll agree to that. One unit for the work done you just described. Is it a deal??"
WinterRat1

Holding the Guardian under his jacket but still in his hand, Dragon briskly walks to the girls. "Can you stand?" Sybersnake nods painfully, and Tiffany bends over to help her up. "Medkit scan's taken care of for now." He nods and replies, "We're getting out of here then."

Motioning to Virgil to follow them to the car, Dragon hustles over to the car, keeping a close eye out for any trouble. En route, he says to Tiffany, "Good thinking with that camera. Glad you're on board with us."

"Yeah well just don't make me getting shot at too much a part of our relationship, ok?"

Arriving at the car quickly, Tiffany helps Sybersnake into the backseat, while Dragon goes to the trunk and opens it slightly, placing the Franchi Spas-22 shotgun in easy reach for a rapid draw.

Any more of those freaking tank guys come, we'll see how they take a shotgun blast dead on. Then we'll see if they can shrug it off. Punks. Where's Virgil anyway?

Tensely, the three of them wait by the car for Virgil to arrive.
banditf50
1119 January 6, 2063 - Street of Tommy Wong's

Continuing to scan the astral plane for any evidence to suggest that the newly freed elemental had decided not to return to its home plane, Virgil's gaze fell upon the form of Dragon staring at him from the position of the car across the street. Dragon's aura showed the sharp pangs of a cool anxiousness sinking in as the adrenaline rush brougt on by the ambush washed over him.

Virgil knew that it was time to clear the scene. There would be no way he would have enough time to clear the astral of the remnants of his socery before the SFD and possibly the Star cordoned off the entire street. It would also be tactically unwise for him to stay behind because his companions would need his help in case this was not the end of Sybersnake's new friends. It would probably take any cops who showed up some time before they called in a mage, the confusion of his signiture mixed with the opposing mage would also be beneficial.

This is about as clear of an escape moment we we're going to see. Virgil thought as he vaulted himself from the alley and began darting across the street as fast as was tactically reasonable, confident that the embrace of the city spirit was still enveloping his form.
Sedna
1400 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"One unit at the end of the current circulation for the work I just described," specifies Jack Solomon, and waits for Andie's confirmation.
WinterRat1
1119 January 6, 2063 - Street of Tommy Wong's

Virgil arrives at the car a few moments later, breathing a little hard, but not overly so. Without breaking his scan of the street, Dragon asks, "Ready to roll? What about the astral signatures you're leaving behind?"

Virgil shakes his head. "No time to clear them out. Hopefully they just won't be able to examine it in time. Or deem it worthwhile to track us down. Sybersnake?"

"She's in the car. Tiffany's administering a medkit to her. She also got the sniper shooting us on camera." Virgil raises an eyebrow as he looks at Dragon. "Thinks fast on her feet, doesn't she?"

"Told you we'd be doing good to have her along." Dragon takes one last look around, and satisfied he won't be needing the shotgun anytime soon, closes the trunk.

"Maybe. Where to now?"

"Beats me. Let's get in the car and go. We can decide once we're clear of the area."

Hopping in the car, they quickly leave the area, driving swiftly, safely and as unobtrusively as possible away.
Sedna
1125 January 6, 2063 - Street of Tommy Wong's

A couple of people in the crowd mark him, one person exclaims, most never see him at all. Virgil isn't stopping to take names. When he gets to the car he opens the door, slides in, slams it behind him ... and turns to see Dragon by the trunk, just putting aside the Franchi Spas which, he suddenly realised, must have been aimed at him a moment earlier. Sudden arrivals might be ill-advised in the wake of ambush, he thought in the moment of ice clarity that followed.

The two women were in the back seat, Sybersnake looking very pale and small, Tiffany frowning a little as she stared at the screen of her wrist computer/phone. That upholstery was going to be a total write-off.

There was no "if" about it, there would be complications from this. It was just a question of degree. Would Lone Star find it worthwhile to do a full forensic investigation? Virgil tried desperately to remember if he'd heard of any impending budget crunches or crackdowns. If it was just business as usual, there was just a chance they might slip through the cracks. And who was gunning for Sybersnake, and why? Quixote, whoever you are, I hope you can keep Julia safe just a little longer. If we try to get to you now, we'll bring trouble right to your doorstep.

A soft beep brought them all to instant combat readiness before Virgil recognised it as being the medkit's signal of completed medical assessment. Tiffany's frown had deepened as she studied the screen, but she quickly set it to print off a thin spool of paper and handed it to Dragon as the nearest, before applying the customised injection to Sybersnake. The Latina gave a soft sigh, and drifted off into a slight doze. Dragon tried to read it without taking his eyes from the road and everywhere in his vicinity, failed, passed it to Virgil, who shifted from the astral long enough to read it. "I don't understand," he said at last.

"Came through just now as a text message," said Tiffany absently; she had returned her attention to the screen.

"But this gives the street name of the sniper? And it says the team was hired by Saedar-Krupp?"
SentineloftheMountain

Andie responds to Jack's question to seal the deal, "Correct. One unit at the end of the current circulation for the work I just described."

Sedna

"Done," says the fixer, in a peculiarly satisfied voice. The connection breaks off. And even through Andie's general satisfaction at how the deal turned out, at how much he was able to get out of it: a hollow feeling in his stomach, the warm breeze from the circulation raising a sudden cluster of goosebumps at the nape of his neck and running down his spine: What am I getting myself into?
SentineloftheMountain

Andie returns to the back of the shop to check on the circulation; making any needed adjustments.

well, at least that's been taken care of. I'm going to have to maximize the output of this batch though. My debts seem to keep going up....

Andie settles in for the rest of the night on his stool; watching gauges; making adjustments; adding magical energy when needed.
banditf50
1126 January 6, 2063 - Pulling Away from Tommy Wong's

Dragon eases on the gas and pulls away from the curb as fast as possible without looking guilty. No time to worry about who sent the hit team. Intel doesn't mean a thing if we don't clear this area now. Dragon thinks to himself as he takes a few turns to put an angle on any potential shadows.

"Drive until you think we're not being followed, then head to the third block of Sacremento Avenue, far south end of the Redmond Barrens. I have a place we can lie low there." Virgil cooly instructs Dragon, "unless you'd rather head somewhere else."

Turning his eyes back to Tiffany and the sedated Sybersnake, Virgil inquires, "Is she stable?"

"She's not gonna die on us. She'll need some stitching though."

"I'll tend to her when we reach a safe location. Keep your eyes out for any followers. We'll be entering an area where traffic is non existant, so they shouldn't be able to stay too close."

Turning his attention back towards Dragon, Virgil keeps focused on forming a contingency plan. "I'm going to slip to the astral now and keep an eye above us. If the situation heats up and I get delayed I'll be able to find my body at the safehouse."

Nodding sharply in understanding Dragon stays focused on the road, quickly taking another turn. It's good to be working with a proper soilder again.

Closing his eyes Virgil feels the tingling sensation of his mana form slipping away from his meat body. Rising above the car he joins the city spirit he'd summoned earlier, who was now hovering in space awaiting further instuctions.

Thank you kindly for your help earlier, you surely saved our lives. I must call upon your services further though, until I am confident that we are safe..

Confident that he still had the backing of the city spirit if needed Virgil proceeded to scan the astral plane for any signs of hostile trackers.
Sedna
1150 January 6, 2063 - arriving at the safehouse

Dragon doesn't see the acknowledgement by the city spirit to the shaman, what might have been called a bend of the head, had the spirit had any such definable anatomy. He does see the swirl of papers beside Virgil tighten into an almost distinct form, and then drop to the ground as the shaman closes the car door. The roads get progressively worse as the small group rattles on toward the address the shaman had given. Rattles? wonders Dragon in a moment of complete disjunction, absently securing the shaman's body in his seatbelt with his free hand, while taking his speed that crucial klick under the speed limit when his awareness picked up a vehicle with Lone Star lights come up behind him and then pass him without stopping. That'll kill the damage deposit for certain.

Amazing what strange things enter the brain when running for one's life ... or the life of someone one cares about.

The reporter too is mostly silent, tapping her computer at regular intervals, frowning over what she's reading. At one point she does look up: "I hope this place of yours has a decent change of clothes. Otherwise you're going to have to go shopping." After a moment it sinks in that she does have a point: as a public figure, she really can't go out on the streets looking like she does. And Selina's ... but she is alive, and that was what counts.

As they drive and the various emergency frequencies traffic continues to flow through another part of his awareness -- another, undecipherable coded burst on the DocWagon channel -- the traffic is getting lighter and lighter, until at last they are the only vehicle on the street at a time approaching noon. You'd never know it here. In sharp contrast to the place they had left only a few minutes earlier, this part of Sacremento Avenue is utterly empty.

You could be killed here in broad daylight for a pair of high fashion running shoes, and no one would pay any attention.

"This way," says the shaman beside him, indicating a particular doorway, as another part of Dragon's awareness registered the moment of return and conscious movement. No need to ask the question. If Virgil had spotted anything on their tail, he'd have said so. Behind him Tiffany struggles a little with the back door, which seems to have skewed on its frame, before the two of them get it open and half walk, half haul Sybersnake up the concrete steps.

Virgil pauses before entering, aware that to do so will automatically dismiss the spirit unless he gives it a continuing service.
banditf50
1151 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Please remain here and fighten away anyone who enters this alley. Virgil issues the final command before he crosses the threshold of the old fire door and assists Tiffany in hauling Sybersnake up the flight of dirty concrete stairs to the second floor of the what Dragon guessed must've once been a shop of some type.

The top of the stairs opened onto a narrow landing where Virgil punched a short code into an older model maglock placed next to a grey security door. He'd secured the apartment shortly after arriving back in Seattle, but purchasing his larger residence in Touristville had not left enough cash to finish fortifying this place as he would've liked. Still, Virgil believed in security through obscurity. To help keep any potential squatters away Virgil would occasionaly summon a low force city spirit merely for the purpose of sending it to stir up some noise around the building's exterior. Just as thiefs choose the easy target, so do squatters choose the less haunted area to flop.

The door opened into an apartment that was noticably larger than the standard ghetto safehouse that Dragon had seen. The place was reminsciant of a day when a store owner would also buy the space above his buisness. A small living room housed a worn couch and an older model telecom with space for a space for a twin sized bed in the far corner. A window across from the entrance gave a view of Sacremento Avenue and beside that window opened a cramped kitchenette.

While the furnishings were humble to the point of being sedey, the place was clean. One thing that Virgil could not stand for was filth. Guiding Sybersnake towards the bed Virgil heard Dragon close the security door and take a quick glance out the front window.

"I am going to apply some healing magic to her now. We need her to be as coherent as possible to help piece together the situation. Why don't you and Dragon start going over intel and think about gathering some new clothes."

Shifting his focus back to the wounded latina Virgil placed his palms onto her shoulder and began drawing the surrounding mana into her wound. How differnt it feels to gather magic to heal instead of destroy . .

The sounds of Dragon and Tiffany conversing in hushed tones receded into the backround as Virgil focused his concentration on the gathering magic.

WinterRat1
1158 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Sitting in a chair that gave him a view of the window without making him a target, Dragon began thumbing shells into the Franchi Spas combat shotgun he'd brought inside. Raising an eyebrow at the sight, Tiffany chose not to say anything, probably realizing that given the events of the last hour or so, it was better safe than sorry.

Clearing her throat, she opens up, "So what do you think?"

Shaking his head somberly, Dragon answers, "Street name of the sniper. May be legit, maybe not. Team being hired by Saeder-Krupp? That I believe, especially given Sybersnake's story. What I want to know is, how reliable is your source, and why did they fill you in?"

Glancing over at Virgil who was tending to Sybersnake, the two of them shared a quick glance, to which Virgil nodded his head ever so slightly. Looking back at Tiffany, Dragon continued, "Furthermore, it's pretty obvious that we're in a bit deeply now. Where do we go from here, and do you still want in on this? This may be a story like I promised, but it might come at a steep cost. If you want to walk now, I won't hold it against you, or as a statement against our...budding friendship." The last two words brought a cynical, yet friendly grin to both reporter and mercenary.

Keeping that grin for a moment or two longer, Tiffany rose to her feet and began pacing the room for a moment. After a few seconds, she turned back to him and began to speak...
Sedna
1200 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

And began to speak, as that grin transformed into that universal feminine smile at male obtuseness. "I meant -- what do you think, can you find me something to change into if I go and shower now?" Dragon blinked at her uncomprehendingly, then, uncharacteristically, flushed when she added: "I'm tracking Sybersnake's blood all over Virgil's nice clean floors."
Sedna
1430 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Work on the orichalcum, somehow find some time to write up some solid plans for the warehouse and get them to Jack Solomon by tomorrow so the fixer could get started on the renovation end of things, somehow find some time to catch more than the odd catnap. The damn circulation kept waking him up at the oddest hours -- and now he was even dreaming about it.

Who knew the engineering degree would come in this handy, this soon?

Sara paused at the doorway, one of the kids Andie had seen frequently about the store tagging at her heels. "I've just had a very interesting request," she said. "Frankly, I just don't have the time to take on that commission myself. I was wondering if you'd like to speak with him when he comes around, later today, while I watch the circulation for you?"
WinterRat1
1201 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Clearing his throat, Dragon replies a bit sheepishly, "Err...yeah. I'm sure Virgil doesn't have a problem with you taking a shower. I don't know if he's got any clothes for you though, and I certainly don't know if there's any clothes I could pick out that would be...appropriate. Why don't you go take a shower, I'm sure Virgil at least has something you can wear, and maybe Sybersnake and I can go grab some clothes for you when Virgil's finished with her. What do you think Virg?"

Before the shaman can answer, Dragon slaps a hand against his forehead. "Wait a second! The deck! Do you think they're still tracking us down via the deck?"
SentineloftheMountain
1430 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

It was good to see Sara's face and smile with all the balls Andie was juggling at the moment. I'm glad college teaches you about staying up and doing all-nighters to complete projects.

Andie was intrigued by Sara's comment and looking at the child at Sara's heels. In a cautious tone, glancing at the kid for Sara's benefit, he says, "how interesting of a request are we talking about and who is making the request?"

Andie listens to Sara's response. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt to hear what they have to say."
Sedna
1431 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"It's a potential contract," grins Sara mischievously. "Treat it as a potential new customer. He's coming by at 1800. You don't want me to pre-vet every part of your new business for you, do you?"

Her wristphone rings again, and, with an apologetic (and slightly hassled-looking) smile, she steps back into the front room to take it, one hand automatically snagging the kid by her coat collar before she gets too close to one of the more sensitive operations.

"Hello? ..." A bit of a pause, then a short phrase in a language Andie's never heard before.

A very long pause. An air of stillness has entered the place. One of the mixtures suddenly bubbles up with a hiss, and Andie moves quickly to subdue it.

"Yes," Sara Lansing says finally, "of course I will."

The wristphone screen snaps shut. Behind Andie, another of the mixtures begins acting up, and he turns to deal with it.

All else, is silence.
banditf50
1202 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Keeping his eyes focused on the wound that he was focusing on closing, Virgil supplied his companions with a progress report.

"She's going to be fine. I'll be able to close the wound and mend the damaged tissue, she'll probably need some rest given all the blood that she's lost, but if we have to move her again it will not harm her further."

"Feel free to hop in the shower Tiffany, I cannot gurantee the relibility of the hot water, but I can manage a change of clothes."

Pushing a box out from underneath the bed with his foot Virgil revealed a worn pair of jeans and green U-dub hooded sweatshirt.

"Not high fashion but it will last till you can locate some other items. However I've not fully stocked this place yet so I don't have anything for Sybersnake to wear. Don't worry about the blood on the floor, being a bit of a neat-freak means that I have some cleaning supplies in the kitchenette. We'll wipe the place down before we leave."

Taking the clothes from the box all Tiffany could do was smile at the situation.

"Make sure you let the water run for a bit after your done to let any blood wash down the drain."

"Tiffany, dump all your old clothes in this bag too." Dragon interuppted, waving a garbage bag that he'd pulled from under the sink.

"Wow, now I am really starting to feel like a criminal." Tiffany smirked as she walked into the tiny bathroom.

banditf50
1203 January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Still keeping his eyes focused on the gentle glowing now permeating from Sybersnake's wounded shoulder, Virgil finished pndering the ramifications of Dragon's recent concern. "You think that the S-K team might've have physically bugged her deck? I am the worst person to consult on these issues, but I would think they'd track her each time she jacks in with the deck."

"I don't know Virg, I wouldn't think so either. But as long as any hit team good enough to be hired by S-K is on the job, I'm considering any and all possibilites."

"Sybersnake had planned on jetting town to get her deck cleaned, but it looks to me like the sniper's round may have taken care of that for her. I doubt she'll be able to salvage any of the deck after it took a round from a high-caliber rifle."

"Good point." Dragon comments as he pulls the damaged deck out of it's satchel. The bullet had left an exit hole about the size of a bottle cap.

"Either way we are going to need supplies soon. Sybersnake will need a change of clothes and Tiffany won't be happy in my hand-me downs for long. I dont' have much in the way of food here either, so we'll need a few meals here as well."

Pausing a moment to shift his full attention back to Sybersnake, Virgil was silent a few moments before offering up a plan.

"You and Tiffany could head out for quick supply run, or perhaps just you, since the deck is probably destroyed you could stash somewhere in a dumpster. If they are tracking her through the deck, it would certainly buy us the invaluable asset of time."
WinterRat1
1205 January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Dragon nods slightly. "OK, well that's two things we need to do. I don't think it would be wise for Tiffany to show her face in public just yet, since we don't want to attract attention to ourselves, and she's too visible. If she tells me her size, I can get my sister to pick up some clothes for her, and food too. I can pick up a drop at the University of Washington, since she could easily leave it in a locker or something between classes for us."

"You sure you want to get your sister involved in this?"

"Give me a break Virgil. You know as well as I do what our family's all about. She'll be fine with it, won't even think twice. And it keeps us out of the spotlight."

Inspecting the deck more thoroughly, Dragon sets it aside, admitting, "I don't really know enough to assess the state of this thing either. It's dangerous holding on to it, but I don't want to tell Sybersnake we just chucked a piece of electronics worth several hundreds of thousands of nuyen cause we weren't sure it may or may not be helping us get tracked. I think we can wait for her to come to so we can at least ask her to assess this thing herself."

Grinning, Virgil responds, "Heh, in that case, I agree. She might kill us herself if she finds we just chucked it for no good reason...without asking."

"OK, so after we get her assessment of the deck, Tiffany a change of clothes, and some food down here, what's our next move? After that friendly little visit by S-K and their friends, I'm thinking they just vaulted to the top of my "List of Things to Deal With."

Pausing for a moment, the shaman answers, "Didn't we get the name of the sniper? I think it might be worthwhile to check that out. At least we can ask around."

"Sounds good. You want me to make the call, you, or both? And while we're going to be on the phones, what else should we be asking about?"
banditf50

The words were barely uttered by Dragon when Virgil's mind snapped upon a harsh reality that they had overlooked in the confusion to escape the ambush.

"Fraggin drek, Sybersnake's son is in Seattle! We'll need to get him now!"
Sedna

Sybersnake stretches comfortably within the soft healing aura, flinching and then trying to hide the flinch when she discovers a part that hadn't quite healed over yet. "Don' worry about Robbie," she says, her voice still sounding half-drugged. "Dragon's already got it all taken care of."
WinterRat1

Virgil shoots Dragon a look, but Dragon just shrugs a bit helplessly. "Uh...Sybersnake, I hate to be the doofus here, but what do you mean, I have it all taken care of? Can you elaborate a bit for me please?"
Sedna
1205 Saturday January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

"Y'know," says Sybersnake, painstakingly reiterating the obvious, "when I called? an' you said you'd pick him up from th' daycare and take care of him f'r a few days?"
WinterRat1
1205 Saturday January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Dragon's blood goes cold at her words. Slowly, he answers, "Syber, to the best of my knowledge and memory, I never got any such message from you. Who did you leave that message with, and what are you talking about? I think you'd better start from the beginning here. The very beginning. There's a lot of holes here, and I think you'd better start filling them in for us."
Sedna
1206 Saturday January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Their eyes meet through the healing haze. "I left it with you," Sybersnake repeats again, in the tone of one who doesn't really believe what she's saying anymore, but is afraid to consider too closely what that might mean. Her speech is absolutely clear, now. "I talked to you. After the Johnson called that second time, I thought I'd better get him clear until I found the wolf and got everything sorted out. That's why Robbie wasn't in my apartment when that alarm went off."
WinterRat1
1206 Saturday January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Looking first at Virgil and then back at Sybersnake with a cold pit in his gut, Dragon shakes his head slowly and firmly. "No. I never talked to you. At least, not personally. There's no way I would've forgotten something like that. I never picked him up. I never got any message from you saying I should pick him up, and I definitely never discussed with you picking him up."

Confusion and a growing sense of horror were written all over Sybersnake's face. "But...then who did I talk to? And who does have him?"

Softly, Virgil speaks up. "Two guesses off the top of my head. One, you did talk to Dragon himself, but he was under some sort of mental compulsion and that's why he didn't know about it or remember it."

They all knew what was coming next, but it was Dragon who finally broke the silence that had descended upon the group. "And two?"

With a deep breath, the shaman answers, "Two...that the person you talked to wasn't really Dragon, but someone disguised to look like him. And that means that we..."

"Be fragged." Dragon and Virgil both finished the shaman's sentence together, and the silence that followed was almost deafening as they all began to consider the implications of the situation that was rapidly spiraling out of control.

They were all aware that no one had answered the second question. No one needed to. No matter what the answer was, it was going to be a bad one.

Finally Dragon spoke up. "OK Sybersnake. Let's do this again. From the very beginning, and this time, you'd better include all the details."
SentineloftheMountain
1431 January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie listens to what Sara has to say and wonders about the coming meeting. In the mean time Andie checks the circulation to make sure everything is on schedule.

I hope Sara finds time to relax. She looks really stressed out at the moment...
banditf50
1206 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Quickly interjecting before Sybersnake pushes strained words out, Virgil tries to apply a bit of reason to the situation to perhas console the team.

"Even if the people sending these hit teams have taken Roberto, it seems unlikely that they intend any immediate harm to him. Otherwise I would think they would have used him to reel you in already," Virgil tilts his head in Sybersnake's to accent the point. "Since even after their deception they have still mainted the illusion that Roberto was not taken, I'm inclined to believe that they were buying themselves time. Perhaps to move him somewhere."

Sedna
1208 Saturday January 6 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Almost, she'd managed to put voice to wordlessness when Virgil spoke; and then she stared from one man to the other, not quite focusing on either. The sound of the shower muted to a soft trickle, and then to the drip drip drip intrinsic to the showerhead. She looks trapped, thought the shaman, as the healing aura, its purpose complete, faded and vanished.

"Start with everything about the Johnson, everything you can remember," suggested Dragon; and Virgil glanced at him in startled surprise: "Uhm, Sybersnake ... do you still meet all your Johnsons in the Matrix?"

She nodded, her gaze seeking out a neutral middle distance through the narrow window. "His personafile was a black, visored knight," she said; and both the men nodded in turn, a beat out of unison, with Dragon adding, "Obvious," and Virgil not having to supply the obvious extrapolation. "I did run the usual scans on it," said Sybersnake defensively. "You know the ones."

They did know the ones: nasty pieces of code that had begun as something Aztech and morphed in Sybersnake's hands into something that could molt a feathered serpent. Neither of them questioned that she had done just that, not once, but twice.

"Do you know for certain it's a he?" asked a dripping Tiffany from the doorway, flicking on the antique trid over the telecom with the remote she'd picked up from the table. All three sets of eyes startled in her direction: barefoot, clad only in a bathtowel wrapped around her to cover her from just over her breasts to just barely below the cleft of her long legs. Her eyes touched Dragon's for a moment, then dropped, before the smile touched the corner of her mouth and she vanished back into the bathroom.

"You do know she's waiting for the other shoe to drop?" said Sybersnake brutally into the sudden silence.
banditf50
1209 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

"I think we have far more vital tasks at hand right now," Virgil lets the words roll out with an obvious stacatto. He could see that some sort of tension existed between Dragon and Sybersnake, a tension that was further catalyzed by the new presence of Tiffany. He also knew that Dragon had always been a sucker for a pretty face. However this was far from the appropriate time to bicker about such petty issues.

"Continute with your story please."
Sedna
1440 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

After a long silence interrupted by the kid only a couple of times, Sara finally sends the girl home, then turns the sign on the front of her store and locks up. "Don't forget to renew the wards, Andie," she says absently on her way up the back stairs to her apartment.
Sedna
1210 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

"Frag off," says Sybersnake, her voice empty. She isn't looking at Virgil. She isn't looking at anyone.

A strangled sound from the bathroom door draws attention back to Tiffany. Her face has gone deathly pale. She's staring at the trid.
"This is Tiffany, [camera on tight close-up of Tiffany] reporting live and on the scene outside Tommy Wong's, a popular eatery in Touristville, where just now a false fire alarm served as appetiser for the murder of this young Seattle woman.  [camera angle widens to take in the screaming crowd, then tightens on Sybersnake's face, cradled on Tiffany's lap]  Inside sources identify the killer [cut to enhanced security camera footage, with voiceover continuing] as Pieter deVeers, known on the street as Hawkeye.  We will bring you further developments on this story as they occur."

[camera returns to the anchor]  "Thank you for that fascinating report, Tiffany.  Nice to know the 'Zappinin' areas of our city still have their crusader ..."

"Oh, I know how it was done, of course," Tiffany said at last as she put on her glasses, her voice dead level. She's still wearing the towel, but it no longer seems to matter. Behind the thin lenses, her eyes remained frozen. "I've done any number of reports like that. Find one that had the relevant information, then alter the background to fit, a bit of voice synch ..."
SentineloftheMountain
1750 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie continues watching the circulation and monitoring for any imperfections until the meeting with the prospective client.

I hope Sara at least gives me the person's name, so I know they are legit... I assume the meet will be here at the shop; even though she closed the shop early...I guess we will see.
WinterRat1
1210 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

With a sort of detached calm, Dragon deadpanned, "I take it this is the point where we are now involved in something serious, huh?"

With a deep sigh, he ran his hand through his hair and said, "OK, a few questions. One, what are the implications of that news report in regards to Tiffany? Two, can we break down what happened with Sybersnake and her supposed discussion with 'me'? Three, what's our next move from here?"

Virgil spoke up, "We're going to need some help. We're a little outgunned and outresourced right now, and I could really go for calling in the cavalry.Dragon, do you know if there's anyone you could call in to help us out?"

Dragon starts to shake his head, before pausing to think, then answering, "Well... I could see if Daedalus is back in town. He was supposed to come out here to help me with some stuff, but I don't know if he's arrived yet. I can check though. Even if he's around, I don't know if he's got himself together enough to be an active participant in all this, but I can ask."

Virgil nods. "You might want to do that. We're stretched thin enough as it is, and it's probably going to get worse before it gets better."
Sedna
1758 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Several people have stopped by the shop since Sara turned the "Closed" sign. Most looked disappointed and left. A few peered through the leaded windowpane with their hands on either side of their eyes ... not that simple removal of light glare would overcome the distortion -- and other effects -- of the spells and wards anchored to that door. Two try knocking anyway: the first a polite, questing knock; the second a much more determined pounding that casts a momentary doubt even on that concealed bankvault of a door. Both eventually turn away.

Andie wonders each time if that was the person Sara had mentioned, and somehow forgotten to mention in their particulars: and that was something that was not like her at all.

Another woman comes by and hesitates before the "Closed" sign, just a minute before the specified time, and Andie is so certain that this must be the person at last that he's already moving toward the door to open it; when the dry, familiar voice which was just about the last thing he had expected to hear at that moment, coming from the stairs behind him, just about makes him lose several years of his life: "Sara said 'he', remember?"

When he manages to get his racing heart to return to something of a more normal rhythm, Andie turns to face Jack Solomon, who is sitting on one of the stairs a few steps up, watching him with amused interest.
Sedna
1211 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

At that particular moment, Sybersnake looks like she's given up caring about anything related to her own personal survival. Both Virgil and Dragon have seen that look in her once before: when they originally tried to extract her from Aztechnology. The consequences she'd landed them in, then, were not something either preferred to think about too much, now.

But Tiffany shrugs, blank-faced, absently snagging the end of the towel that almost gave way: "The implications with regard to me are simple. I acknowledge that report, my sources abandon me, because I'm no longer 'reliable'. I deny that report, my career is toast."
banditf50
1212 January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

I doubt that story will cover Sybersnake's arse, but maybe . .

"This mishap may have bought us some time, but let's handle everything in turn. Dragon get on the phone with your sis and see about those spare clothes and maybe some food. No where we have to move we aren't going to do it with one blood-soaked, and one half-naked companion." Virgil manages a quick smile at the towel-clad Tiffany to try and lighten the mood.

Kneeling next down next to bed Virgil speaks as calmy as he can to the still drugged and now terriefied mother. "Robbie is the immediate priority and we managed to keep him safe before without anyone dying, and we will get him back now. You just try to remember all that you can and Dragon and I will plan our move."

With that Virgil shoots a glance at Dragon who was just going for his phone. Your probably the better once to console her friend.
Sedna
1212 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Virgil's words tease a quick, involuntary quirk of a smile from the corner of Tiffany's mouth and a slight deepening of the light scattering of laugh lines at the corners of Tiffany's eyes. Colour begins to slowly leech again into her face; with only the barest reddening just below the mascara darkening the rim of her eyes hinting at the strong emotions tightly held beneath the iron control.

She's a reporter.

She must have grown up in the Barrens. Like me. Her job means to her what my magic means to me ... what Carlos Whitefeather opened to me. But thanks to him and to my family, I've always had support for the path I've taken. They didn't always understand it, but they accepted it. I'm starting to think Tiffany doesn't have anyone.

How often had he seen it before? He'd worked closely enough with Father O'Grady at St. Margaret Mary, and with Juliette and Galina and Trank and the rest of the gang at that Puyallup street clinic; hell, he'd felt it himself when Jeremiah had died. Let the rest of the world go frag itself, he'd deal, he'd lash out or blindly laugh or whatever, he'd give as good as he got: but he'd deal and keep right on dealing.

But kindness, especially in an unkind world: that was deadly.
WinterRat1
1213 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Mentally dialing up Susan, Dragon double checked the encryption on the channel. By the time she picked up, he was confident in the security, at least for a few minutes. "Hey bro, what's happening?" she answered in a relaxed, casual voice.

"Susan. We're on encryption. Scan me?" Immediately realizing this was no social call, she switched over to the professional tone she had grown up learning to use in Combat Inc. "I scan. Go."

"Things are deep and getting deeper. I'm going to need you to do some stuff for me. Ready?"

"Go for it." Although she sounded tense, Dragon knew she was handling things just fine. "One. I need you to pick up food, non-perishables, think field ration types, enough to last for a few days. Can't be showing my head too often. Two. I need clothes. Stylish, appropriate for a public figure, namely a reporter."

"That Tiffany reporter?" She's quick, all that college education wasn't wasted at least. "How'd you know?"

"I saw the report on the news. Saw Sybersnake's picture as well. Figured you were mixed up in all that. I can guess her size pretty well, and I'll know what kind of clothes to get. Anything else?"

"Yeah, clothes for me and Sybersnake, think street casual, but stylish for her." His mental clock told him the timer on the security assurance was running down. "I gotta go. Call me when you've got the stuff and we'll set up a meet."

"See you in a few hours." Then she disconnected.

Man oh man, when it rains...it fragging well pours. Thank God Susan isn't some helpless little sister. Hell, one of these days I might be using her for my medic.

Dragon walked up to the reporter, who was holding the towel closely to her body. Close enough to establish intimacy and trust, far enough to not be suggestive and inappropriate, especially in front of Sybersnake.

"We'll take care of that false report too. It's on our list of things to do. We won't let anyone take your career down and make you a fall guy." She looks at him and nods slightly, in appreciation and acceptance. "I knew you would." At his questioning gaze, she said simply, "Because if you didn't, you'd be a liar. And I get the feeling that for whatever else you are, when it comes to your friends at least, you aren't that kind of guy."

Raising an eyebrow, he smiled gently and teased her, "So we're friends now?" She lowered her head to the floor, looking down, but her eyes were looking up, straight at him. Tiffany smiled back, perhaps a little suggestively, and replied, "Maybe." Then she turned and walked back into the bathroom. At the doorway, she paused, looked back over her shoulder, and ran her eyes up and down him in an obvious, half-teasing, half-serious way. "Maybe not." Closing the door behind her, the lock clicked into place.

"At least she isn't making it too easy for you. Now you have to break down the door to get in there." Sybersnake's comment that broke her silence was low enough to not be heard by Tiffany, but easily discernable to Dragon's enhanced hearing. Mentally kicking himself for getting drawn into yet another bad looking situation, he walked over to Sybersnake and sat down.

"Look, Sybersnake..." He didn't even finish the thought before the Latina got up and practically stormed off into the kitchenette. Rolling his eyes, Virgil motioned for Dragon to follow, signalling that he'd keep Tiffany busy if she came back out when she was finished changing.

Walking into the kitchen, he said, "We'll get Roberto back. I promise." Without looking at him, she snapped, "What do you care anyway? About him or me?"

"Don't be silly. Of course I care. We're..." She cut him off, the bitterness in her voice harsh and biting. "We're what? Friends? Lovers? Working acquaintances?" He was silent, and she continued, "What is with you? Is it really about 'two different worlds', and all that bulldrek? Or can you just not keep your hands off the ladies?"

"Come on. There's no way I'm that smooth. There's nothing going on between me and her. I just met her yesterday." She snorted. "That's not what it looks like from where I'm sitting."

"Look," he said soothingly, "I understand you're upset about Roberto, but we'll get him back. Everything's going to be ok. We did it before, we can do it again."

"You still don't get it exactly, do you Vincent? You still don't understand how this all works."

Throwing his hands up in the air, he answered, "You're right Selina, I don't. How does what work? What are we talking about here?"

Glaring at him with equal parts hurt, anger, bitterness, sorrow, and love, she turned from him to look out the window over the sink, her arms wrapped tightly around herself.

"I'm sorry Selina, I don't understand. Please. Explain it to me." Dragon's voice was soft and gentle, but firm. "We need to talk, I know that. We probably can't resolve everything here and now, but let's at least get started."

Silence descended on the kitchenette as he waited for her to respond.

SentineloftheMountain
1758 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

Andie turns to Jack and says, "A little dramatic don't you think, Jack."

He walks over to the stairs and says, "So, are the prospect I am supposed to meet for Sara or someone you are representing?"

Andie waves Jack towards the back of the shop, so he can monitor the circulation while they talk.
Sedna
1759 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"No," says Jack Solomon, who hasn't moved from the step, "it is not me, although --" he waves his hand in the direction of the small window "-- it probably is that dwarf heading up the sidewalk. His name is Durin, and -- well, you will meet him soon enough. But Sara called me in to watch the shop for her tonight and through tomorrow, and to make sure you would keep an eye on that circulation while you talked to him. That is one thing I cannot do for you." He shrugged. "That does not seem necessary, though," he said slowly, almost as if listening to his own words, in a tone that suggested a slight surprise which was not directed at Andie in the slightest.

"And no," added the fixer, "I am not representing him unless he asks me to." He took off his spectacles and polished them, and then put them back on. "And I am not representing you here even if you do ask me to," and Andie glanced back sharply from the window at that hint of amusement which had crept into his voice and which showed nowhere else. "Sara wants you to deal with this one on your own."
Sedna
1216 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

Sybersnake sighed and turned back from the window, ignoring the ancient nagahide and steel-frame chairs, to settle to a cross-legged position on the floor. At least that terrifying empty look had faded from her eyes. "No, you really don't," she said finally. "And it's not really your fault. It's just part of who you are. But if I were in Tiffany's shoes --" a brief, pained smile flashes across her face as she suddenly registers her own words "-- I'd be wondering why you're bothering to look like you're caring." She hooks over the remains of the deck to her side of the floor and, after wiping her hands on the dishcloth, begins picking at it. "There's one really obvious answer, and Tiffany knows it too. Maybe there's a bunch of other answers that aren't so obvious, but I'm not sure I know you well enough to guess at them."
WinterRat1
1216 Saturday January 6, 2063 - Virgil's Redmond Safehouse

"What are you talking about? You know me as well as anyone. We spent a year together, down in that hellhole called Aztlan. Maybe Tiffany doesn’t know me well enough to guess, and I can follow that. But you?”

She looked up at him, sadness in her eyes, and shook her head. Kneeling down, Dragon cupped her chin in his right hand, and absently brushed aside a stray lock of hair that had fallen in front of her face with his left. “Hey…listen…I know things are rough right now, but we’ll get everything sorted out. Everything’s going to be ok. We’ll find Roberto , get this mess straightened out for you, set things right for Tiffany , everything will be ok. Trust me, all right?”

Pushing his hand aside, Sybersnake caught his hand and held it fast. “And what about us? When it’s all said and done, what about us?”

Momentarily taken aback, Dragon just looked at her. Continuing on, she pressed, “You don’t know, do you? You don’t know what you feel, don’t know what you want. You don’t even know who you really are, deep down inside, do you?”

Rising to his feet and stepping back slightly, he answered, “I know who I am. I’ve…got some things to work out, yeah. But I know that much, at least.”

Offering her hands to him, he instinctively helped her to her feet. Smiling up at him, a sad smile, tinged with a bitter sweetness, Sybersnake whispered, so Virgil couldn’t hear, “No, you don’t.” She moved suddenly, swiftly, wrapping her arms around his neck and kissing him firmly, and passionately, on the lips. Shocked, he tensed up at first, but then relaxed in her embrace, giving in to the moment. After a few seconds, she stepped back and whispered, “Tell me you didn’t feel it. Tell me it wasn’t electric. Tell me you didn’t want it.”

He didn’t respond for a moment, and she let him go. “You know you do. But you won’t admit it. You don’t want to believe that this life is what there is, all there is. Why? Is it so very bad? You have your family, friends you can trust…why do you have to chase a hopeless dream? You aren’t like her, and you never will be.”

Holding up a hand to stop her, Dragon answered softly, “OK, so you know so much about me. You’ve got me figured ten ways to Tuesday, so answer my question. Why do you feel you don’t know me well enough to guess at why I might show Tiffany I care? If you want us to be together so much, why do you have to question my motives with her? Why do you think I’m trying to show her that I care? And honestly, why can’t you just trust me?”

Even as he asked that question, the irony of it settled thick into the air. Sybersnake eyed him and asked, “Are you sure you want to hear this? Right here? Right now?”

Although he was wincing inside, Dragon couldn’t help but think, Ah, frag it all. May as well get all this out in the open. It’s better than dancing around the issue endlessly. At least we can talk about it now…I hope? And then it hit him, that old saying. ‘Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.’

In the main room, despite trying very hard to look like he wasn't listening, Virgil couldn’t help but smack his palm against his head. Quietly, of course.
SentineloftheMountain
1800 Monday January 8, 2063 - Land's End Magic Shop

"Huh", Andie says aloud. He walks over to the front door and opens it as Durin the dwarf knocks on the shop's front door.

"Come in. Please come. We've been expecting you."

Andie sizes up the dwarf; wondering what he has in store for Andie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012