Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CGL Speculation #5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Delarn
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2010, 02:21 PM) *
I mean it's nice to speculate that Adam will swoop in and save the line from dark strangers. But Adam is an actual person with thoughts, opinions and free will (and also, it appears, a healthy sense of discretion).

I always tought Adam was living in the Matrix ! A Free Ultima Sprite wink.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Octopiii @ Apr 13 2010, 12:23 AM) *
I agree. The new Seattle book was extremely disappointing. Entire sections were simply lifted whole from previous Seattle sourcebooks. The same goes with some of the "setting" locations: Feral City's write up for Lagos leaned heavily on Cyberpirates!, for example. Continuity is nice, of course, but frankly the parts of the new books I liked were the ones that had already been written for previous editions. I haven't looked at Vice yet, but i'm told it was disappointing, which I can unfortunately see based on recent releases.

I like Catalyst for cleaning up the rules. I'm not so enthused by their other work, however.

I got it and found alot of good new material. Sure some of it was from the previous books, but I expect that. New players may not have access to the previous books and need the info too.

nezumi
So AH is a thousand monkeys on a thousand data terminals, and ADAM is a prototype expert system.

The question is, are they GOOD systems, or BAD ones (and if the latter, should we assume everything in Shadowrun is them spreading disinformation).

Meanwhile, someone needs to get working on a SQL injection attack to reprogram ADAM to secure our shadowrun materials.
augmentin
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2010, 01:21 PM) *
But I believe he mentioned it was speculation. What he did quote was $600k stolen, and saying then that the actual value of the license would clearly be larger than that. I believe it was him specifically who speculated $1M, but again, it was just speculation. I haven't seen anyone give a hard number, and several people have said specifically they know the hard number, but are not at liberty to share. So all we can say is...

$600k was lost from this line + battletech over 3 years, and that was not significant enough to sink the line (at least not yet!) Which suggestins that that is probably not MORE than the value of the license, and likely significantly less.

Don't get me wrong, I think we'd all be happy for Adam to take it over. However:
1) No one has asked Adam if HE wants to. He has a new baby to work on, remember.
2) No one asked Adam if, right now, he is able to take on that amount of work.
3) No one asked Adam if he is able to pay what Topps is asking.

I mean it's nice to speculate that Adam will swoop in and save the line from dark strangers. But Adam is an actual person with thoughts, opinions and free will (and also, it appears, a healthy sense of discretion).

[not sure how to quote a locked thread...] "I estimate that between pre-royalties, labor, and printing costs, that getting Shadowrun started up again with a year of reasonably timed releases would cost roughly half a million dollars. And it would make that back rather easily in that year if distributors could be convinced to hire on. Selling 50,000 books from five or six titles ain't no big thing for a new edition of Shadowrun with the interest generated by a grand reopening. And distributors are interested in this product because it will sell. For money. Right in the middle of the hell storm, PSI added Catalyst to their friends list. If Loren Coleman wasn't in full paranoia mode in his tower of crimson tape, he'd probably be able to shell out that kind of start-up money from his pocket. In cash. Assuming of course that Topps would take him back, which I have difficulty imagining them doing." -The artist formerly known as Permaban

RE: Sentient InDesign CS12 expert program ADAM:
What would you like to see happen with the SR license?
JongWK
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 13 2010, 04:04 PM) *
I got it and found alot of good new material. Sure some of it was from the previous books, but I expect that. New players may not have access to the previous books and need the info too.

Folks who think Seattle 2072 has a lot of old material should take a good look at Seattle and New Seattle. The latter has entire sections taken from the original book. sarcastic.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 13 2010, 02:32 PM) *
RE: Sentient InDesign CS12 expert program ADAM:

I doubt you'll get an answer from Adam on this one!
Endroren
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 13 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Adam is like SCIRE. Advanced Document Adjustment Machine. A FASA effort to automate book layout that achieved sentience due to some unforeseen X-factor.

rotfl.gif

Maybe I'll be in breach of my NDA, but as a CGL freelancer I can assure you that this is completely true. What isn't clear is whether he just uploaded himself directly to the Posthuman servers under the noses of the CGL spiders, or if he first uploaded pieces of himself directly into our brains via our Dumpshock accounts and is currently running as a distributed system on our collective wetware.
augmentin
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 13 2010, 02:57 PM) *
I doubt you'll get an answer from Adam on this one!

Probably not, but I'm hoping for a witty reply.
Adam
QUOTE (augmentin @ Apr 13 2010, 03:32 PM) *

Are you expecting any answer other than: I want Shadowrun to have a kick-ass publisher that raises the bar and treats one of the coolest gaming settings ever with the respect it deserves, both in terms of games/books/other wicked stuff and in a business sense. Because if you were, well, I guess I have to disappoint you sometime, and that time is now. wink.gif
MYST1C
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Apr 13 2010, 09:04 PM) *

I've been playing SR since the early days of 2nd Edition and Seattle 2072 is the first Seattle book I bought. Why? Being German I've played almost exclusively in the AGS setting.
Yet two reasons made me buy Seattle 2072: First, it looks great and I heard favorable things about it. Second, it wasn't (and won't be) translated to German (instead we got an overhauled and updated Seattle entry in the recent Runner Havens re-release).
I haven't read much of it yet but I like it so far. Of course, someone who knows the earlier books will recognize stuff but not someone who's new to the Seattle setting.

Of course, it can't beat the IMHO ultimate city sourcebook ever released, Cyberpunk 2020's Night City Sourcebook, but then those two books were written following fairly different concepts.
augmentin
QUOTE (Adam @ Apr 13 2010, 03:12 PM) *
Are you expecting any answer other than: I want Shadowrun to have a kick-ass publisher that raises the bar and treats one of the coolest gaming settings ever with the respect it deserves, both in terms of games/books/other wicked stuff and in a business sense. Because if you were, well, I guess I have to disappoint you sometime, and that time is now. wink.gif

Well met. It was worth a go anyway.
Wesley Street
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 13 2010, 03:26 PM) *
Of course, it can't beat the IMHO ultimate city sourcebook ever released, Cyberpunk 2020's Night City Sourcebook, but then those two books were written following fairly different concepts.

Someone needs to write up a compare/contrast piece on Night City and Seattle Sourcebook as those two seem to be the most heralded (post)cyberpunk setting books.

*strokes chin thoughtfully...*
hermit
Yet two reasons made me buy Seattle 2072: First, it looks great and I heard favorable things about it. Second, it wasn't (and won't be) translated to German (instead we got an overhauled and updated Seattle entry in the recent Runner Havens re-release).

It is out already? Hrm. I might want to get it since my old FanPro book is degrading rapidly.

Also, it is hardbound, and thus, durable. It stands out between all the Pegasus books, but it is pretty in it's own right.
Octopiii
QUOTE (imperialus @ Apr 13 2010, 07:06 AM) *
Hrm... Not sure I have the same take on this as you. I thought Seattle 2072 was pretty darn good. Sure there are some repetitive bits, I mean every Seattle sourcebook is going to have a writeup on Club Penumbra (an entry I picked largely at random) but just from comparing the entries on Penumbra from Seattle, New Seattle and Seattle 2072 you do get a real sense of how things have changed for the club. In Seattle Club P's entry was all about how it was the hottest place in the plex for runners to find work. In New Seattle, it was about how the Renraku Archeology incident meant that it was overrrun with off duty Renraku security and Metroplex Guard. Not exactly the sort of place a runner would want to look for work. In Seattle 2072 it's about how it's a piece of 'living history' complete with 'retro 49' nights.

Besides, every edition really does need a Seattle sourcebook. After all, new players need to pick up the setting information somewhere.

Yes, every edition needs a Seattle book. We had Runner Havens for 4th edition - yes, it was probably too short, but it's there. Some two(?) years later Catalyst decides to do some minor (and I do mean minor) updates to the world, and we get S2072, where there are a few minor changes and most everything is static from either Runner Havens' update or New Seattle. I was excited, as the write up in Runner Havens wasn't terribly interesting, only to find most everything is the same even within the same edition.
TomDowd
Someone just alerted me to the status of things, so I thought I would drop by, give a brief wave, and say that I wish everyone involved, and the franchise, well. I know how difficult the economics of the RPG publishing world can be without unfortunate complications, deliberate or ignorant, and I hope that CGL can pull through and continue to publish the quality product that they have for their time on the license. And if they cannot, I thank them for their wonderful efforts and hope that whomever picks up the Shadowrun license does well by it and it by them.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that back in 1988 when I was writing the original first edition manuscript on my Apple ][e I would never have predicted that twenty-two years on (OMG!) Shadowrun would continue to have such an active existence. It just simply remarkable, and the only reason it has is because of the talent of those writers and editors and artists who followed on after me and the dedication and persistence of its fan base.

I've been waay out of the Shadowrun loop for some time now, and though Adam Jury - bless him - tried to drag me back in not long ago I just could not make it work with my current schedule and focus. Maybe someday... things are a little less crazy even now... but man there would be a lot of reading to catch up on...

Anyway, good luck to Jason Hardy and everyone at CGL, good luck to the license, and thanks to everyone who's hung in there for all these years. I am confident Shadowrun will see its 25th anniversary (OMG!) in 2014, dragons or no dragons.

Tom Dowd
Shadowrun co-creator
Ancient History
QUOTE (nezumi @ Apr 13 2010, 08:27 PM) *
So AH is a thousand monkeys on a thousand data terminals, and ADAM is a prototype expert system.

The question is, are they GOOD systems, or BAD ones (and if the latter, should we assume everything in Shadowrun is them spreading disinformation).

Bad. Definitely, definitely bad.
JM Hardy
Thanks very much to Tom Dowd for a kind and gracious post. It's the kind of post where I'm just thrilled he knows my name!

Jason H.
Cardul
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Apr 13 2010, 10:41 PM) *
Thanks very much to Tom Dowd for a kind and gracious post. It's the kind of post where I'm just thrilled he knows my name!

Jason H.

You know...seeing a living legend drop in to post is one of those amazing things. It is if Manowar, Rush, or Meat Loaf
dropped by to say hello. *hmms* Actually...I think it is more awesome then that.
Zolhex
My jaw dropped.......

I mean Tom Dowd the man who co worte Shadowrun 1st edtion and the only listed writer of 2nd edtion just posted it's been what 10+ years?

This is historic.
X-Kalibur
We're obviously not worthy.
Bull
Well... Huh. Cool. Thanks Tom!
BlueMax
I just had a nerdgasm. Thanks Tom.

BlueMax
augmentin
[Breaks arm patting self on back:]

I may be the one responsible for engaging Mr. Dowdy.
Many thanks to Adam for pointing me in the right direction.

Anyone think when Trollman started this whole thing that we'd get such an honored guest to make a cameo?
knasser
QUOTE (TomDowd @ Apr 14 2010, 04:32 AM) *
Someone just alerted me to the status of things, so I thought I would drop by, give a brief wave, and say that I wish everyone involved, and the franchise, well. I know how difficult the economics of the RPG publishing world can be without unfortunate complications, deliberate or ignorant, and I hope that CGL can pull through and continue to publish the quality product that they have for their time on the license. And if they cannot, I thank them for their wonderful efforts and hope that whomever picks up the Shadowrun license does well by it and it by them.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that back in 1988 when I was writing the original first edition manuscript on my Apple ][e I would never have predicted that twenty-two years on (OMG!) Shadowrun would continue to have such an active existence. It just simply remarkable, and the only reason it has is because of the talent of those writers and editors and artists who followed on after me and the dedication and persistence of its fan base.

I've been waay out of the Shadowrun loop for some time now, and though Adam Jury - bless him - tried to drag me back in not long ago I just could not make it work with my current schedule and focus. Maybe someday... things are a little less crazy even now... but man there would be a lot of reading to catch up on...

Anyway, good luck to Jason Hardy and everyone at CGL, good luck to the license, and thanks to everyone who's hung in there for all these years. I am confident Shadowrun will see its 25th anniversary (OMG!) in 2014, dragons or no dragons.

Tom Dowd
Shadowrun co-creator

Sooooo many memories of the 1st and 2nd editions. THANK YOU for your work. We've been enjoying it all this time ever since!

Khadim.
Dread Moores
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Apr 13 2010, 02:44 PM) *
Adam is like SCIRE. Advanced Document Adjustment Machine. A FASA effort to automate book layout that achieved sentience due to some unforeseen X-factor.

rotfl.gif

Jesus was a robot? Huh...didn't see that one coming.

Edit: Tom Dowd is even more awesome than I previously thought. And I really didn't think that was possible to exceed previous levels of coolness, particularly regarding my completely inappropriate love for Night's Pawn and Burning Bright.
Delta
QUOTE (MYST1C @ Apr 13 2010, 08:26 PM) *
I've been playing SR since the early days of 2nd Edition and Seattle 2072 is the first Seattle book I bought. Why? Being German I've played almost exclusively in the AGS setting.

Well not all germans like the AGS setting wink.gif But other than this, I have to agree. I've heard a lot of good things about Seattle 2072 and, owning all three other SR books concerning Seattle, I haven't been disappointed. Sure, there's a lot stuff that's already been in Runner Havens, but I think that was to be expected, the other alternative would be for the whole city to change completely overnight, and I don't really think I'd like this option.

It's my impression that there was a whole lot more from the old Seattle Sourcebook that went right into New Seattle, and still, New Seattle was a decent book in my opinion.
-Nyx-
QUOTE (hermit @ Apr 13 2010, 07:48 PM) *
It is out already? Hrm. I might want to get it since my old FanPro book is degrading rapidly.

Also, it is hardbound, and thus, durable. It stands out between all the Pegasus books, but it is pretty in it's own right.

Aye, it should be available... cool.gif
Delta
As I bought it in my FLGS two weeks ago it should most definitely be out, yes wink.gif
hermit
Hrm. I should drop by my flgs tomorrow then.
ketjak
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Apr 9 2010, 11:31 AM) *
Thread Recap: [snip] For our set piece on the Problem of Induction, we will be discussing Ketjak's (one of the owners of IMR/ Catalyst) discussion of the rate of draws from the IMR accounts by Loren Coleman, and discussing whether they correspond to a pattern of embezzlement, or merely a series of random embezzlements whose seemingly regular time frame were generated by chance alone.

-Frank

I have had to spend time with my primary income generator so I'm behind a bit having just read this post on Page 5.1. Anything interesting happen in Thread #4 I should revisit before I consider how to address this?

While I am under no NDA, it isn't clear if I want to wade in at that depth. Anyone who has the graphs I made can PM me to confirm whether or not those are the graphs and, assuming no applicable NDA or legal obligation, can do with them as they wish. Of course, this may already have been done in the following 16 pages of Thread #5, and I explicitly post in ignorance on this point and you have my apologies.

I also have permission to re-post Tiger Eyes' letter she wrote to me, after she became aware that I (alone among the members, it seems) was interested in hearing why David Stansel-Garner, Jennifer, and Adam Jury each resigned. My experience with DSG is that he's upstanding and honest in his dealings, and his resignation (as announced by Randall) was a matter of some curiosity. To hear that the person he had worked closely with in this investigation (Jennifer) had resigned as well made me think the version of events that Randall and Loren were pitching was probably just their side. Later (about 18 hours later, actually), documents released by IMR made it clear that Randall and Loren's version was, at best, a gentle re-telling of the actual events.

The graphs are just visual representations of a long spreadsheet detailing all of the "draws" (still using that term, since that's what it was billed as by IMR) IMR claims were made by Loren L. Coleman. There were 15 positive contributions in there as well, but the net was overwhelmingly negative (in terms of draws vs. "deposits"). I could already picture the draws this way, but to see it made me feel a bit angry and quite disgusted. Understandable, I think, although I remain amazed at how little anger many of the the other members expressed and especially at their continued support of the Colemans and Randall N. Bills.

I'm not angry any more, just disappointed and a little sad.

-Ket
Ancient History
Hell, I'd like to see this letter and these graphs.
Patrick Goodman
My personal take on this is, while Jennifer's given permission to publish the letter, have David and Adam given permission to disclose their reasons for leaving? That would be my personal sticking point to publishing the letter until such time as those two gentlemen give their permission to discuss their reasoning. Just because Jennifer's given her permission to publish the letter doesn't mean that she has permission to disseminate correspondence given in confidence.

But in general, yeah, I'd like to see this stuff, too.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 14 2010, 11:56 AM) *
My personal take on this is, while Jennifer's given permission to publish the letter, have David and Adam given permission to disclose their reasons for leaving? That would be my personal sticking point to publishing the letter until such time as those two gentlemen give their permission to discuss their reasoning. Just because Jennifer's given her permission to publish the letter doesn't mean that she has permission to disseminate correspondence given in confidence.

But in general, yeah, I'd like to see this stuff, too.

My letter does not reference Adam or David's reasons for leaving, only my own.
augmentin
@ketjack: Whatever happens to the license, I sincerely hope that you are still affiliated with the Shadowrun franchise.
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (ketjak @ Apr 14 2010, 10:25 AM) *
I also have permission to re-post Tiger Eyes' letter she wrote to me, after she became aware that I (alone among the members, it seems) was interested in hearing why David Stansel-Garner, Jennifer, and Adam Jury each resigned.

This is part of what continues to shock and frustrate me about Catalyst. The owners and management seem so entirely detached from the operation of the company, especially when it comes to things like the relationship with freelancers (and apparently the relationship with full-time staff!). Back in 2008, not only were e-mails I sent up the chain ignored by management, but e-mails sent by the line developer on my behalf were simply not responded to. We're not even talking a large company where things could get lost in bureaucracy, which leads me to believe it's mostly a matter of people who should care, simply not caring.

When three full-time staff members resign and when multiple freelancers have reached a point of such frustration that they voice it on public forums, all of the members should be interested, not just ketjak.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Apr 14 2010, 10:02 AM) *
My letter does not reference Adam or David's reasons for leaving, only my own.

Well, that addresses my concerns right there. Thanks for chiming in so quickly.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Apr 14 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Hell, I'd like to see this letter and these graphs.

me too. i am not good with numbers, but pictures i can understand most of the time.
ketjak
QUOTE (ketjak @ Apr 14 2010, 07:25 AM) *
(snip)I also have permission to re-post Tiger Eyes' letter she wrote to me, after she became aware that I (alone among the members, it seems) (snip)

Oops - I just remembered this is a lie. How dare I?!?

I just remembered that, not counting David, one other member (owner) sought out information related to this from at least some of the people who were let go. I will leave it to him to share details, including who he is, but I was not alone, per se.

Also, I will not send the graphs to people who request them via PM (or any other means). Nice try, though. smile.gif

- Ket
Stahlseele
*shrugs* can't blame a paranoid runner for trying ^^
tweak
Is this for real?

http://forum.rpg.net/showpost.php?p=120079...p;postcount=199

Or is this life imitating art?
Stahlseele
Nobody knows, i did not even get a Link to the Graphs.
tweak
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 14 2010, 01:44 PM) *
Nobody knows, i did not even get a Link to the Graphs.

I'm waiting for Shadowrun adventure to come out based on all this info. If one doesn't come out, I'm tempted to write one.
Stahlseele
If those are real, Frank was pretty close neh?
tweak
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 14 2010, 01:47 PM) *

I'm gonna shake my new SR purchases to see if any money falls out. smile.gif
Stahlseele
And if there really was additional money that's now missing from undeclared income made at conventions and the such, then that's income that did not get declared to the bean counter and thus not to ir IRS and might thus be tax evasion, right?
augmentin
Bold statements from a bold man. Can anyone verify the validity of these new allegations? Obviously, ketjack can, but he's already stated he won't do so publicly for, I think, obvious reasons.
tweak
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 14 2010, 01:53 PM) *
And if there really was additional money that's now missing from undeclared income made at conventions and the such, then that's income that did not get declared to the bean counter and thus not to ir IRS and might thus be tax evasion, right?

Let's not speculate. Seriously, we should just write up a Shadowrun adventure on this thingy. Who would the Mr. Johnson be?
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (tweak @ Apr 14 2010, 12:55 PM) *
Let's not speculate. Seriously, we should just write up a Shadowrun adventure on this thingy. Who would the Mr. Johnson be?

This is the wrong thread for not speculating, chummer
Stahlseele
QUOTE (tweak @ Apr 14 2010, 07:55 PM) *

Speculations IS IN THE THREAD TITLE!
Also, Mr.Johnson would be Topps i guess. And his Face to the Info Sharks would be Frank Trollman?
emouse
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 14 2010, 06:47 PM) *

(Quick edit to pare down to the core question of my post)

Does the graph include what would have been considered his salary or take as an owner, or is this purely funds above his agreed share?

Clearly, in mid-2008 the chart takes a left turn, but we don't know what's supposed to be normal. He he hadn't taken funds he shouldn't have would he have taken in $200,000? $400,000? Is the $309,000 in cash withdrawals the only missing amount?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012