Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Infection
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Shadow
Yeah yeah. I am in six games, I am the leader in 5 of them. The roll get's old after a while, but it seems to be the only way to get the ball rolling.

BTW: Shadow has absolutely no obvious cyberware. None. Everything about him looks as real as modern medicine can make it. wink.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Who said he spotted the implants on you on the physical? wink.gif
Shadow
Well I figured you spotted the astrally, I just wanted to make it clear.
A Clockwork Lime
It's good to be dual-natured with an insane focus on perception.
TinkerGnome
On a wild guess, I'm guessing that this is finals week for some of the people in the game which explains the stagnation. wink.gif
Dashifen
Was there any recon that we all expected Father to do? I've forgotten and can't find anything specific in the thread :blush:
Shadow
Father was going to do a Matrix search on all info about bugs, Ares and the site in particular. Plus there were some gangers you knew that you wanted to contact about doing a drive by of the place so we could see their security. You mentioned not wanting to do this yourself, so Immortal is there is you need any help.
Dashifen
Gotcha. I don't know any gangers, but I have a contact at a usual shadowrunner hang out that should suffice for that.

Ecclesiastes: How do you want to run this since we have a number of different "threads" going now -- should I let others complete their work before you run my decking or do you want to do everything concurrently?
Blitz
K...totally confused...Who's going where and who's staying?
TinkerGnome
Provided there are meat bodies left in the apartment, that's where Warpath will be standing guard.
Ecclesiastes
QUOTE (Dashifen)
Ecclesiastes: How do you want to run this since we have a number of different "threads" going now -- should I let others complete their work before you run my decking or do you want to do everything concurrently?

You and I can run the matrix stuff in a chat or something to get it done quicker.
Ecclesiastes
As I understand things, Onna and Silk are staying behind to do the ward, Father went home for Matrix stuff, Warpath and Ayo are guarding Onna and Silk, and everyone else is going to do recon.
Ecclesiastes
Grendel, let me know what you are doing for recon so I have an idea of the scene I need to set for you.
grendel
I want to send the Wolfhound on a fast flyby of the site at nape of the earth altitude, utilizing terrain cover to the maximum extent possible, at a horizontal range of half a kilometer. I'm looking primarily for a general scan of the site as well as trying to detect any active air search radars. If the Wolfhound's flyby doesn't provoke any hostile emitters or detect any advanced anti-air defenses, I'm going to send the Condor on a slow, looping flyby at an altitude of 2000 meters and a horizontal range of 200 meters from the edge of corporate airspace. It will complete a single pass before heading outbound, and I'll record all sensor data looking specifically for physical security measures: fencelines, minefields, light poles, camera installations, security checkpoints, foot and/or drone patrols, paranimal patrols, automated weapon installations, facility ventilation intake/output, drainage, antenna farms, fuel storage, back-up power generators, vehicle entrances and exits. Once clear of the facility, the condor will drop back down to 200 meters in altitude and break line of sight utilizing terrain cover before returning to the Bison.
Ecclesiastes
Ok, post all that IC and give me a few sensor & perception checks, plus a stealth check for each of the drones to use the terrain cover.
grendel
Already posted IC. Middle of the page.

Wolfhound Stealth: 13, 4, 3, 3 (sig: 6)

Condor II Stealth: 11, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2 (sig: 10)

All of my sensor tests will be passive.

1. 10, 5, 4, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1

2. 8, 7, 5, 4, 4, 3, 1, 1

3. 5, 5, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 2

Dashifen
How's wednesday night for the matrix stuff? I have to take my fiancee to a equestrian lesson, but returning from that I'm free in the evening. I can be on probably any time after about 9:00pm EDT.
Ecclesiastes
So that would be 6pm Pacific... Perhaps, I'll have to see if I have anything going on that day first, I'll get back to you with a yes or no by tomorrow.
Ecclesiastes
I'll have an update as soon as I can get the time to put one together, work is being a bitch right now.
A Clockwork Lime
<peeks out from under the desk>

Before Blitz has a chance to yell at me again, Eccy had me roll Scratch's Paranormal skills in PMs.
Blitz
Trust me...Blitz ain't opening her big fat mouth again. biggrin.gif
Ecclesiastes
proof.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (Ecclesiastes)
So that would be 6pm Pacific... Perhaps, I'll have to see if I have anything going on that day first, I'll get back to you with a yes or no by tomorrow.

Hey Eccy. Shit came up and I'm away tonight. You want me to PM or email you with my plans and some rolls that I know you'll need for what I want to look for?
Ecclesiastes
Sure, go for it.
Dashifen
I'll have it out to you shortly. I have practice and work today so it might happen tomorrow morning. We'll see.
TinkerGnome
QUOTE (Grendel)
If possible, I'd like Warpath to stay on the outside during the intrusion.

I find this hilarious in oh so many ways wink.gif I've found the secret to surviving in Shadowrun!
Ecclesiastes
I just got promoted at work (yay!), which means that I'm going to start becoming much busier and won't have as much time to game (boo!). Unfortunately, I'm not going to be posting quite as much as I normally do, but this is one of the games that I've decided to stick with. Just waned to let you all know.
Ecclesiastes
Happy Tuesday (yeah, I forgot to do this yesturday). Everyone gets their weekly karma point.
A Clockwork Lime
Just as a side note before anyone asks, Scratch's comments to Silk were provoked by something she said earlier in the thread (namely the whole "It means she is a shapeshifter, and I think I'll leave the discussions to your boys."), of which he's still a bit disgruntled about. smile.gif Nothing personal. smile.gif
Ecclesiastes
Actually, this is the 5th week of the game, so everyone gets 5 karma.

(Everyone can thank Buddha for the 'one karma a week' idea)
TinkerGnome
There's a reason Warpath has his weapon handy. Just make sure the retaliation is well targeted wink.gif
A Clockwork Lime
I know I'm being a little overly cautious here, but people usually tend to take me the wrong way in messages sometimes: But that's just Scratch in the IC, not me. I'm actually having a blast with this game and hope everyone else is, too.

Scratch is just dealing with a light buzz at the moment, and that combined with being an emotional satyr with pent-up frustration issues and a low tolerance for lying and distrustful "professional" runners, cumulated in a bit of an explosion in him. smile.gif

So, uhm, yeah. Just wanted to say that so no one would misunderstand me and think I was just being an ass for the sake of being an ass. smile.gif

Oh, and just as a side note, Scratch has a pretty sizable Intimidation factor goin', too, especially with members of the fairer sex. Didn't wanna bother rolling it against another player, though, but you might wanna keep it in mind. biggrin.gif
Shadow
Well I figured you guys are just playing your characrters, good to. Well good as long we all can work past it.
Ecclesiastes
Actually, just throw out a general intimidation check just to use as a guideline. And yes, I realize you have to seperate males from females.
Blitz
Question though...not that Im accusing you of metagaming, but as I am actively masking, did you roll to pierce the mask? Also, Ecc...if you did have him roll, I have the edge Astral Chameleon so his target numbers are (I believe) 2 higher.

As an aside, I know Onna asked you why I took your trash, but how would you know that wasn't her very simplified version of something she didn't understand. It also seems a HUGE jump from that tiny bit of information to the conclusions you have made. It seems to me you are using information you should have, unless there is a meta-technique I am unfamiliar with being used.

If there IS tests and such being rolled against my masking or other avenues of my actions, I think it's only fair to expect those actions to be posted in the OOC channel so that I can play my part fairly.
Ecclesiastes
Ok, thats my bad then. He did roll when everyone first met up. I was chatting with him and had him just throw the rolls there, but in the future I'll make sure to have all rolls posted here. I'm really sorry.

edit: just to note, he did peirce yours (and everyone elses) masking. he also got something like 7 successes on the aura reading check.
A Clockwork Lime
Uhm, 'k.

Intimidation: 10 1 3 2 5 4 2 1 (5 9 1 1)

The last four are with women, and apply a -3 (-4) TN modifier on top of the standard Intimidation modifiers. Or since this is an Open Test if memory serves, +3 (+4).

EDIT: Eeek, two posts while I was rolling. smile.gif

Question though...not that Im accusing you of metagaming, but as I am actively masking, did you roll to pierce the mask? Also, Ecc...if you did have him roll, I have the edge Astral Chameleon so his target numbers are (I believe) 2 higher.

Actually, yes I did. smile.gif Scratch is probably the highest grade member of the group since I spent most of his cash on Karma to reflect his age and experience at the cost of worldly goods.

And, as a side note, Astral Chameleon (at least the edge as written) only applies to your signatures left behind when you use a magical skill. Doesn't help your aura or at all. I had to learn that one the hard way, too... :/

As an aside, I know Onna asked you why I took your trash, but how would you know that wasn't her very simplified version of something she didn't understand. It also seems a HUGE jump from that tiny bit of information to the conclusions you have made. It seems to me you are using information you should have, unless there is a meta-technique I am unfamiliar with being used.

One, Scratch has been around the block quite a few times and can put two-and-two together pretty well. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that if someone is taking your trash, is a magician, and possesses the telltale traits in her aura that hints at her abilities (or in his case, all but screams out)... well... chances are she's not just helping take out the trash.

Two, one of Scratch's focuses is in stealth and awareness. He's very good at assenssing and perceiving. I don't remember exactly how many successes he got, but it was more than five when he assesnsed Silk after breaking past her mask. Five or more successes is enough to basically learn everything you want to know about someone that can be found in an aura...

Three, Masking only helps protect your aura. It's an all-or-nothing thing. It doesn't apply any TN penalties to assensing for anyone who breaks through. Not that it would matter since even if they did, it would be in comparison to his initiate grade as well, which trumps Silk's.

If there IS tests and such being rolled against my masking or other avenues of my actions, I think it's only fair to expect those actions to be posted in the OOC channel so that I can play my part fairly.

Sure, I don't mind rolling publically. I just didn't want to flood the OOC post with countless dice throws, especially since I didn't know if someone wanted a discovered secret to be known OOC.

Like he basically said in the IC thread, Scratch doesn't mind secrets and fully expects people to keep 'em. That's why he took Onna aside to talk to her about hers. But when Silk blatantly lied about who she was from the beginning, and even moreso later when she attacked his integrity, well, it set him off.
Blitz
7 success including the increased TN? You realize that puts the TN to a 6 before applying Initiate grades..

Not to mention that it's an opposed roll and I never got to roll my opposition.

Im still curious how he knows anything more regarding my psychometry and the items. I feel very much like Im at a severe disadvantage here.
A Clockwork Lime
Bah. See above. Damn my slow typing skills.

Oh, and just as another aside, it isn't an Opposed Test.
Blitz
wait...when did Silk ever lie? She may not have disclosed every little bit about herself, but she never lied..especially blatenly.
A Clockwork Lime
Mostly the part about being a mage, which implied hermetic mage. That set a little red flag off in his mind, which is why he kind of started shying away from her. It wasn't until she did the whole 'boys talk amongst yourself' bit that really made him dislike her.

Here we go.

QUOTE (Silk)
"I'm also a competent mage. I pride myself on my abilities as I've met few mages with a more intimate understanding of mana and the astral space that shares this world with us. [...]"
Blitz
Wait...so you are calling me a blatent liar because when I stated I was a Mage YOU mistakenly ASSUMED I was hermetic?!?
A Clockwork Lime
He didn't assume anything, he knew exactly what you were by the time you said it. Within the game world, "mage" means "hermetic mage." So yes, you were falsly advertising yourself as a hermetic mage. Then when Onna mentioned the part about stealing their items and he figured out what you were doing with him, that cemented his true distrust.

Look, you're obviously getting way too worked up about this so I'm dropping it. It's just a game, man.
Blitz
Im a little put off yes...but that's because IC your character has verbally attacked Silk constantly since the very beginning. Then telling me it's because Im a blatent liar and completely untrustworthy. Why, because of a word I used. Mage is a magical user. If you wanted to have an indepth discussion about Magical Theory and Mystiscism, you would have found Silk to be VERY eager to discuss it. Instead you assumed she was a liar and untrustworthy. In fact, Silk is designed as very UNshadowrunny when it comes to disclosure and honesty.

Despite your claims that everything is IC and everything is hunky dorey OOC, I find that to be completely unrealistic. Your actions speak louder than words. You have issues with Silk, then perhaps Silk and Scratch shouldnt work together.

Ecclesiastes
Whoa. Stop. This is your friendly GM stepping in to say if you have anything more to say about this matter, please PM it to me and I'll deal with things.
grendel
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Oh, and just as another aside, it isn't an Opposed Test.

Magic In The Shadows, p. 76.

Deliberate Masking:

The standard rules for masking assume no special effort on the part of the initiate. If the character makes a deliberate attempt to mask his aura, roll a number of dice equal to twice the character's grade against a target number equal to his Magic. Every 2 successes counter 1 success a viewer may generate to penetrate the mask.
A Clockwork Lime
I'm aware of that, but that requires deliberate masking just like the description said. There was no mention of that anywhere, and Grey didn't seem to be aware of it (if he did, I didn't hear about it while we were dealing with it).

The standard rule for defeating Masking isn't an Opposed Test. If deliberate masking attempts were assumed, there'd be no reason for it to be a deliberate attempt, especially since its an Exclusive Action. <shrugs> Not that it would have mattered in the long run since she would have needed at least six successes against a TN of about 9 to have affected the outcome, and would have needed eight to have avoided it. And unless my notes are faulty, that wasn't even possible.
Blitz
First off, yes, I was deliberately masking as I told Grey in the beginning when I asked about the other mages and if they were masking.

Second, assensing only goes up to 5 successes...additional successes does NOT help in giving you more details regarding a mages capabilities.

Third, assensing also does not indicate a mages tradition, nor metamagic techniques regardless of the number of successes. There is a vague reference that states you may get an idea as to what an ADEPT's powers may be, but no mention of a mages abilities. Per page 172 of SR3:

5+ gives the following
• The exact Essence, Magic Attribute, and Force of te subject.
• The exact location of any implants
• An accurate diagnosis of any disease or toxin the subject suffers from
• The GENERAL cause of any emotional impression )a murder, a riot, a religeous ceremony, and so on).
• The GENERAL cause of any astral signature (combat spell, hearth spirit, and so on).

(plus all the above levels of information. I will list those not elaborated upon by the preceeding)

• The Subject's exact emotional state.
• The class of a magical subject (a fire elemental, manipulation spell, power focus etc.)
- I can see this as MAYBE giving you shamaic vs hermetic, but that's a GM call. It certainly wouldn't give you the actual totem.

Fourth, regarding Astral Chameleon. I dont have Shadowrun Companion, but according to NSRCG Astral Chameleon is listed with the following information: TN +2 for tests involving the assensing of the character's astral signature. That would apply to the masking test as well. Hence the reason I took the edge.

Fifth, the ONLY IC information you had regarding her actions in the restaurant was from Onna asking why I took trash from the table at the restaurant. This from a character that has rudimentary knowledge of english and regularily miscommunicates as a result. She gave no details as to what was taken, as far as you know, she was just picking up leftovers or possibly something a runner left behind. The jump from that offhand comment to Scratch knowing what she took and the purpose of that theft is quite unbelievable. As far as you know, maybe I just collected something from the Johnson.

My ultimate points here is that I feel you are abusing OOC information to take the smallest hint IC and make improbable conclusions. You have accused my character of being untrustworthy as well as a liar when she is neither and has made no IC hint otherwise. Even with an accurate assensing, you would have found her emotional state to be upset about the bugs and eager to help in the mission. How would that indicate her as being deceitful?

The problem with everything is that, due to my situation with being at work and unable to post without sneaking, I had no way to back up my points during the discussion earlier and the IC posts have gone to far to reverse.
A Clockwork Lime
<just sighs> Whatever. Take a pill and relax.
Blitz
I am going to assume by your lack of intelligent response that you have no rebuttal regarding the rules of the game system. If you are incapable of discussing the issues instead of making personal insults regarding my stress level then perhaps you shouldn't have opened the door in the first place.

This is a game, and there are rules to govern the fairness of it's play. You cannot expect to only use the rules you like and dismiss those you dont. It's also quite unfair to fight your points with passion and then accuse me of getting too involved when you dont like what I have to say.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012