Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 02:26 PM) *
I made it up on the spot.

The actual story is that I think she's been playing a long con; but she got burned and can't finish it without outside help. I think the subtext of the story would be enough for her to gather that, without outright accusing her of misleading us. Does that seem fair?

-DrZ

That is fair - I'm not sure where you are going with it though. Assume for arguments sake she is running a long con - are you looking for a confession? Or are you just looking to try and let her know you are on to her without saying it outright?
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 13 2014, 02:44 PM) *
That is fair - I'm not sure where you are going with it though. Assume for arguments sake she is running a long con - are you looking for a confession? Or are you just looking to try and let her know you are on to her without saying it outright?

I don't think I'm angling for a confession; rather that I'm trying to see how up front she is being. The job will be easier if she's able to give us all the details she'd be holding back if she was just a "scorned mistress, lost in the world". I guess you could say It's more the latter; that I'm trying to get her to admit it without "admitting it". As I said; Grease is not one to judge cyber.gif
Jack VII
biggrin.gif Dueling proverbs. Fun!
Melpomene
@Lobo: So if you hadn't caught it, Mel is doing Matrix searches on the vase and the statuette, as well as trying to glean any/all info on the Good Samaritan.

ETA: Mel is currently running the following programs:
Virtual Machine
Browse
Signal Scrub
Toolbox
Jack VII
Jingfei is pretty hot, DrZ!

ETA: My IC post is tied to an OOC file I posted to the DropBox where Jack has already started scheming planning.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 13 2014, 05:08 PM) *
@Lobo: So if you hadn't caught it, Mel is doing Matrix searches on the vase and the statuette, as well as trying to glean any/all info on the Good Samaritan.

ETA: Mel is currently running the following programs:
Virtual Machine
Browse
Signal Scrub
Toolbox

The other thing I will need to know when using your deck is what your ASDF is. For now we'll assume you have your Data Processing fairly high.

Ok, so let's take each in turn.

The Vase - we'll call that Limited Interest/Not Publicized - base time=30 minutes, cut to 15 by your Browse Program, with a threshold of 3.

Modifiers - Noise of 1 for your location (UCAS Zone), easily cancelled by your DJ and Signal Scrub

Int + Comp =11 dice
11d6.hits(5)=4

So you have only 1 net hit, meaning it takes you the full 15 minutes to find any information you can about the vase.

This information is limited, as you are not an art expert, but the blue markings on white mean that at its oldest it could be part of the Yuan dynasty, and so potentially date back almost 900 years. The blue on white has been used more recently, and so without more expert analysis it is impossible to tell exactly how old it is, but you've established a baseline for its maximum age.

So you will find out that information by around 6:25 PM. You can feel free to write up the search IC if you would like using <<this color>> - or simply relay the information to your teammates.

Once that time has gone by, I can roll for the statuette and the Good Samaritan.
Jack VII
@Lobo: Can we consider another house-rule? It's always bothered me that hitting the threshold and hitting the threshold+1 does nothing for you on a Matrix Search. How would you feel about counting the hit needed to reach the threshold as the first hit? That way, if you actually beat the threshold by one, it takes half as long, etc? I'm not at all hung up on changing the rule, but I think success should be rewarded. wink.gif

ETA: I didn't even think about it, but the second I saw you had added a pic of the bodyguard, it was going to be Bolo Yeung. I am laughing my ass off at my desk.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 06:32 PM) *
@Lobo: Can we consider another house-rule? It's always bothered me that hitting the threshold and hitting the threshold+1 does nothing for you on a Matrix Search. How would you feel about counting the hit needed to reach the threshold as the first hit? That way, if you actually beat the threshold by one, it takes half as long, etc? I'm not at all hung up on changing the rule, but I think success should be rewarded. wink.gif

ETA: I didn't even think about it, but the second I saw you had added a pic of the bodyguard, it was going to be Bolo Yeung. I am laughing my ass off at my desk.

As for the Matrix Search - I'm fine with that, if the rest of the group is.

As for Hao Fe, "Now I break you, like I break your friend!"
Melpomene
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 06:32 PM) *

I actually didn't notice Bolo Yeung, because I couldn't get past the husband being Chow Yun Fat. I am going to retire from this event now, before I see him show up with six guns and all those doves flying behind him.

DrZaius
It's a good thing I'm going post-crazy today, since this up front stuff is 75% of Grease's involvement in runs, and I'll be significantly less available next week cyber.gif
Melpomene
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 13 2014, 06:23 PM) *
The other thing I will need to know when using your deck is what your ASDF is. For now we'll assume you have your Data Processing fairly high.

The Deck is rated 6, 5, 5, 3. So:

A: 3
S: 5
D: 6
F: 5

Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 13 2014, 05:39 PM) *
As for the Matrix Search - I'm fine with that, if the rest of the group is.

I mean, I'm okay with it, I think the only other person it would routinely effect is Mel. Mel, how do you feel about the change?
Chrome Head
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 06:49 PM) *
It's a good thing I'm going post-crazy today, since this up front stuff is 75% of Grease's involvement in runs, and I'll be significantly less available next week cyber.gif

You're doing a good job of it, I'm very amused. smile.gif
Melpomene
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 07:36 PM) *
I mean, I'm okay with it, I think the only other person it would routinely effect is Mel. Mel, how do you feel about the change?

I definitely agree with Jack's reasoning, and I would like that House Rule.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 13 2014, 08:50 PM) *

I do as well.

ETA: @Chrome: Thanks!
Lobo0705
I've added some pictures of the estate to the dropbox, these would easily be available from satellite imaging.
Jack VII
BillionaireMailingList.com? LOL, that's awesome. That's a big ass house. Is that golf course surrounding it in our game?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 09:51 AM) *
BillionaireMailingList.com? LOL, that's awesome. That's a big ass house. Is that golf course surrounding it in our game?

Absolutely - lots of business deals going down on the golf course - legal or otherwise smile.gif
Lobo0705
Jack,

Can you, when you get a chance, update the map to include Chinatown?

It is a roughly rectangular shape, bounded on the north by route 285 and the south by route 88. The western boundary is the border with the PCC zone and the eastern boundary is Route 87.

ETA - do you need that sketch before you continue the conversation, or can I upload it into the dropbox this weekend?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 14 2014, 09:08 AM) *
Can you, when you get a chance, update the map to include Chinatown?

It is a roughly rectangular shape, bounded on the north by route 285 and the south by route 88. The western boundary is the border with the PCC zone and the eastern boundary is Route 87.

I can do that, I guess just do it in a different shade like we have for the Warrens?

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 14 2014, 09:08 AM) *
ETA - do you need that sketch before you continue the conversation, or can I upload it into the dropbox this weekend?

No, I don't need it now.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 10:14 AM) *
I can do that, I guess just do it in a different shade like we have for the Warrens?

That would be perfect.

Jack VII
Chinatown has been added (please double check that it matches as you described). Do you want to give me a blurb to put into the description box?
DrZaius
The way you phrased that last comment made me think, "Not Grease" cyber.gif
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 10:31 AM) *
Chinatown has been added (please double check that it matches as you described). Do you want to give me a blurb to put into the description box?

Looks great smile.gif

I'm writing up something to be added to the Word Document "Crime, Politics, and Geography" - and then you can put the excerpt from there into the comment. Should be up later today.
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 14 2014, 09:55 AM) *
The way you phrased that last comment made me think, "Not Grease" cyber.gif

Since when does Grease listen to Jack?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 13 2014, 08:50 PM) *

That being the case, you will have that info around 6:18 then, instead of 6:25.
Lobo0705
I've updated the file (Crime Politics and Geography) in the dropbox - I've made the new sections Red in color so it is easy to see what I've added.

I'll change them to black in a couple days or so, once everyone has read them.
Jack VII
Thanks. I'm going to try and synthesize that into something a bit less lengthy for the map if that's okay.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 11:42 AM) *
Thanks. I'm going to try and synthesize that into something a bit less lengthy for the map if that's okay.

Of course - no problem.
Jack VII
OK, I put something in the description. I think I got most of the gist.

I'm also done with Jingfei, I believe. Although I think we need to talk to Chapel after she leaves...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 12:22 PM) *

I'm also done with Jingfei, I believe. Although I think we need to talk to Chapel after she leaves...

Ok - let's see if the rest of the team has questions, if not, then I can transition.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 12:22 PM) *

Given my reprimand about payment, I presume any negotiations around the distribution of funds should go through Chapel, not Jingfei?
Also, I just reviewed the border crossing section in the Dropbox folder. Overall; not as bad as I thought! I have an initial scheme hatching..

Interesting / Relevant parts:
Vehicular Crossings
Getting through a vehicular crossing point is much more of a production than passing through a pedestrian crossing. The actual procedure varies from sector to sector, but generally everybody in a vehicle has to get out and submit to the same kind of checkpoint process as a traveler at a pedestrian crossing. At the guard’s request, all luggage and objects in the car must be unloaded for a hand inspection. Meanwhile, the car – or whatever the vehicle happens to be – gets its own going-over.
The level of attention, shall we say, varies depending on a wide range of factors – whether the driver and passenger look harmless or suspicious, whether there’s any reason to suspect something amiss, the level of suspicion prevalent between the sectors, the phase of the moon, and the way you happen to comb your hair on the morning in question can all figure into this. You can never be sure. One day the border grunts give your car a quick once over with a hand –held chem-sniffer and scope out the underside with mirrors, taking a grand total of maybe sixty seconds. The next day they fraggin near strip it down to the frame. There’s no way of predicting what treatment you’ll get.
Frequent traveler passes are available for vehicles as well, but usually only for certified delivery vehicles and the personal vehicles of corporate or government officers. Like the personal pass card, the vehicle pass contains a transponder encoded with a drekload of relevant and irrelevant data. The data – the appearance, weight, configuration, number of passengers, and so on – is compared against the data on file. If it matches, wiz, if not, you’re fragged.
All deliveries have to be logged into the system at least 24 hours ahead of time. Special transit passes are available for certified and bonded couriers who handle same-day inter-sector delivery, but most data is shifted via the Matrix, so few companies work that turn.

Travel Passes
Any border-crossing post can issue a travel pass, but yours must be pre-authorized by sector management (oh, joy). You can apply for a pass electronically from any commlink, or by paying the sector management office a virtual visit via the Matrix. The datawork is relatively painless and short (shock!) , but don’t expect the rubber-stamp process. Applications can get bounced for the flimsiest of reasons.
As in most sectors, CAS Sector authorities record your citizenship data, landed immigrant status, work visas, or travel passes on your personal credstick. You must present your stick on request to any Knight Errant sec-guard who takes an interest in you.

Weapons
The CAS has a long standing love affair with “personal defense” weapons. Provided your credstick shows the appropriate license datawork, you can pack anything up to and including a heavy pistol. Another kind of license allows you to own, transport, and use semi-automatic longarms, and even certain kinds of autofire assault-style weapons. Of course, such weapons are licensed strictly for hunting. (Sure. Right. Uh-huh).
Everyone who’s ever tried it agrees that importing any kind of bang-bang brings more trouble than its worth. In theory, you can get the necessary import licenses, but the datawork and bureaucratic hoops and crosschecks (and on and on) make the whole experience about as pleasant as gargling cyberspurs. You might as well come in empty handed and buy what you need in-sector. (which is just what the CAS-based gun companies have in mind, I’m sure.)

I can see Grease laying on a thick CAS accent, talking about defending honor to justify his taking a concealed weapon across the border..
Melpomene
Mel has all the info she needs from the woman.
Jack VII
I've been considering options, but hadn't thought to really post anything yet, but it might be a good idea to hash some of it out here before we start asking Chapel questions that we would know IC (but don't know OOC).

I think we have two basic options:
1) Coyote
2) Border Crossing

Coyote
PRO
- We can probably bring whatever personal gear we need.
- If done right, little interaction with security forces.
CON
- Won't be registered with the Sector government. We're foreign citizens based on our SINs and won't show any of the appropriate visas if stopped.
- Probably can't bring any vehicles and larger drones are questionable.

Border Crossing
PRO
- If we succeed, we'll legitimately be in the sector for all intents and purposes
- If we pull the job off with little fuss, we should be able to get back relatively easily.
- We may be able to get one of Grease's vehicles in, although I would imagine it is going to be searched pretty thoroughly.
CON
- Lots of interaction with security forces, including the need to acquire travel documents.
- If the run goes badly and we are either seriously injured or our covers are burned, this option probably won't be available as a return trip.
- Gear is likely to be very limited, particularly anything not firearms related.

Just a few thoughts off the cuff. The Border document is great, but I don't know if it really articulates the risks well enough to judge what would be our best choice. I figure that's what we might need to talk to Chapel about. I should probably check to see if my ZDF Border Guard buddy is working tonight, he might be able to help.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 14 2014, 12:40 PM) *
Mel has all the info she needs from the woman.

Let's wait for Chrome to post, but I can't think of anything else Grease could ask.

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 12:47 PM) *
I've been considering options, but hadn't thought to really post anything yet, but it might be a good idea to hash some of it out here before we start asking Chapel questions that we would know IC (but don't know OOC).

I think we have two basic options:
1) Coyote
2) Border Crossing

Coyote
PRO
- We can probably bring whatever personal gear we need.
- If done right, little interaction with security forces.
CON
- Won't be registered with the Sector government. We're foreign citizens based on our SINs and won't show any of the appropriate visas if stopped.
- Probably can't bring any vehicles and larger drones are questionable.

Border Crossing
PRO
- If we succeed, we'll legitimately be in the sector for all intents and purposes
- If we pull the job off with little fuss, we should be able to get back relatively easily.
- We may be able to get one of Grease's vehicles in, although I would imagine it is going to be searched pretty thoroughly.
CON
- Lots of interaction with security forces, including the need to acquire travel documents.
- If the run goes badly and we are either seriously injured or our covers are burned, this option probably won't be available as a return trip.
- Gear is likely to be very limited, particularly anything not firearms related.

Just a few thoughts off the cuff. The Border document is great, but I don't know if it really articulates the risks well enough to judge what would be our best choice. I figure that's what we might need to talk to Chapel about. I should probably check to see if my ZDF Border Guard buddy is working tonight, he might be able to help.

My thinking is that there's no reason they need to be exclusive. I think we should try to get in with Grease's car, and if things go to drek on the way out we have a Coyote available as a backup plan to get us out. Part of the issue is that none of us really know that many people in the CAS, so there are fewer places for us to hole up. I think Mel might be able to mock us up some fake travel documents. Failing that, she may be able to spoof the guards at the time of the inspection. I don't think we'd be able to bring too much in with us; we may need to lean on Chapel to get us connected to a weapons dealer inside the CAS. Sneaking a pistol in I can see working; a combat drone with a machinegun in the trunk not so much. The Rotodrone would get shot down by a series of missiles if I tried to fly it over the border I am sure.

I guess I am saying plan A should be trying to get across on our own; plan B involves paying out a Coyote.
Jack VII
Yeah, I feel like these are some of the things that we need to get a game feel for... like anything hacking related with the borders. Remember when Overkill tried to hack that simple street camera?

I would rather go in legitimately. I think the most ideal plan is going to have us going in tonight and out either tonight or tomorrow. I think we could put together a reasonable cover relatively easily. If we went with something like Grease as a high-roller, Amy and Mel as "Lady Friends," and Jack as his bodyguard, my contact may be able to help us out since he thinks I'm a bodyguard. Actually, he's with the ZDF and border crossings are manned by Sector Security, so no real help there.

A lot of it is going to depend on how we want to try to accomplish the run.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Yeah, I feel like these are some of the things that we need to get a game feel for... like anything hacking related with the borders. Remember when Overkill tried to hack that simple street camera?

I would rather go in legitimately. I think the most ideal plan is going to have us going in tonight and out either tonight or tomorrow. I think we could put together a reasonable cover relatively easily. If we went with something like Grease as a high-roller, Amy and Mel as "Lady Friends," and Jack as his bodyguard, my contact may be able to help us out since he thinks I'm a bodyguard.

I knew buying a sports car would pay dividends!

It seems to be that we have to make a decision: try to go tonight (a rush, with less prep, intel, options); or wait for tomorrow when security should be tighter.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 14 2014, 01:05 PM) *

I would rather go in legitimately. I think the most ideal plan is going to have us going in tonight and out either tonight or tomorrow. I think we could put together a reasonable cover relatively easily. If we went with something like Grease as a high-roller, Amy and Mel as "Lady Friends," and Jack as his bodyguard, my contact may be able to help us out since he thinks I'm a bodyguard.

Here is my out of character take on how the borders work.

There are criminal organizations who have spent years building up resources and techniques to bypass border security, and in return, the sector security has been developing ways of countering those techniques. If a starting character could simply hack their way through security, then I would say the security failed miserably at their jobs.

You all have Fake SINs, this is what they are used for - they are put together by these criminal organizations to be able to fool security - allowing you to get the travel visas that match your fake SIN, and then pass through security with them.

Certain things are out, for example, anything forbidden, or things restricted by the particular zones (coming from the CAS to the UCAS with a heavy pistol is easier than the other way around, even if you are licensed for it).

You are also going to have to have a reason for going in, and equipment to match. If you are traveling across a border to go to the opera, and you have a heavy machine gun in the trunk, there is going to be an issue.

Now, searching - as I said, you really don't know how much they are going to search your car. In some cases, you could have something highly illegal in the trunk, and they just don't look - but do you want to take the chance that they do?
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 14 2014, 12:16 PM) *
It seems to be that we have to make a decision: try to go tonight (a rush, with less prep, intel, options); or wait for tomorrow when security should be tighter.

As well as how we want to try to attempt the theft.

Direct: B&E the house with Johnson's intel supplemented with whatever we develop.
Sneaky: Replace the transportation crew with ourselves and never show up at the auction house.
If All Else Fails: B&E the auction house dealing with unknown security.

P.S. In every case, we need to consider what to do about RFID tags. An eraser can take care of everything but a security tag. I think Mel can take care of all of them through matrix combat with the device icon.

ETA: OK, I think we've got some stuff to chew over and can probably hash it out with Chapel once Mrs. Johnson leaves. Since we want Chrome to have a chance to RP and ask questions here, I'm going to hold off on anything further for now.
Chrome Head
Hey guys. Missed work today, I have a virus of some sort. I'm sleeping most of the time and dunno when I'll be back on my feet. Consider me AWOL for a few more days. Feel free to NPC me a bit.
Jack VII
That's no good! Hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Did you have any questions for Mrs. Johnson? I'm sure Lobo could ask the questions on your behalf.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 15 2014, 12:07 AM) *
That's no good! Hope you feel better soon.

P.S. Did you have any questions for Mrs. Johnson? I'm sure Lobo could ask the questions on your behalf.

Agreed. Feel better!
Chrome Head
Oh what I had in mind was to ask about magic security a bit more. Something about how one can sense magic as goose bumps sometimes, to try to get some information about wards/sec mages/spirits.

I'm feeling a little bit better today than I have for the past few days. But it's not great.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 15 2014, 03:06 PM) *
Oh what I had in mind was to ask about magic security a bit more. Something about how one can sense magic as goose bumps sometimes, to try to get some information about wards/sec mages/spirits.

I'm feeling a little bit better today than I have for the past few days. But it's not great.

Glad to hear you are feeling better smile.gif Hope you continue to recover.

Later on tonight I'll throw up a question or two about magical security and as much as Jingfei knows about it. (if someone else wants to pose the question, or even give some specifics, by all means throw up something in the OOC and I'll incorporate it in.)
Jack VII
I can't think of anything I would expect Jingfei to have much insight about other than what Chrome asked about. Knowing if there were spirits or wards would be helpful, but I don't really know if she would have any idea about it. Maybe ask if she is aware of there being any mages as part of the guard force...
Lobo0705
Ok, couple things:

1) Jack, Grease, and Snap recognize the two that leave with Jingfei as being the two who greeted them when they met with Valkyrie at the Bifrost.
2) I've uploaded her sketch maps of the relevant portions of the mansion to the drop box in the "Target Layout subfolder of the Adventure 2 Folder (better floorplans may be available through other means.)
3) I've edited IC post#72 to have her sketch it on a napkin.
Jack VII
I'm just wondering if anyone else is worried that both of these items depict dragons in some way.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 16 2014, 04:07 PM) *
I'm just wondering if anyone else is worried that both of these items depict dragons in some way.

If it makes you feel better, it doesn't worry me....
Lobo0705
Ok, for the payout:

So, first we have Jack's teamwork test:
8d6.hits(5)=3

Not bad smile.gif

So now Grease rolls, adding 3 dice from Jack's assist:
Cha 6, + Negot 5 + Tailored Phermones 1

15d6.hits(5)=5

Now we'll do Chapel :
14d6.hits(5)=4

So you manage to talk him up 5%

Now for the advance:

Jack's assist
8d6.hits(5)=2

Grease's roll
14d6.hits(5)=5

Chapel's roll
14d6.hits(5)=3

So you manage to talk him up 10%

Jack - can you put a quick post up representing your teamwork test, and then I will post Chapel's response.

Jack VII
I'll throw up something short, I think I already sort of made the Advance Negotiation post a little while ago. Let me throw up something about more base pay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012