Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
PraetorGradivus
QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Sep 18 2015, 05:22 PM) *
If everone is in the van I guess I take off towards the exit gate.

I guess I should have been clear on this (I assumed since I was in cold sim it was self evident and of course you know what happens when we assume):
This is actually the simple action to jump in vehicle and then starting to drive (no vehicle control test with this action)
During the last pass I'll do the complex action of Control Vehicle to avoid a crash test.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 22 2015, 02:11 PM) *
Absolutely - you can get to the back of the van (you may have to clamber around one or two people, but that won't be a problem) - and be able to cast a spell out the back of the van as you pass them.

Ok, that's what she'll do.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Sep 22 2015, 04:31 PM) *
I guess I should have been clear on this (I assumed since I was in cold sim it was self evident and of course you know what happens when we assume):
This is actually the simple action to jump in vehicle and then starting to drive (no vehicle control test with this action)
During the last pass I'll do the complex action of Control Vehicle to avoid a crash test.

Ok - I get it now - so that actually leaves you with an extra Action Phase.

At 22, you switch to Cold Sim (Simple Action), increasing your Initiative to 24, and then you jump into the vehicle (Simple Action).

At 14, you perform the Complex Action to Drive

At 4, you have another Action Phase - what do you do?
PraetorGradivus
Other than drive to the gate, I pass on this pass.
Lobo0705
Ok - next round:

Snap 4d6+11=17
Sisco 3d6+9=23 - 1 =22
Jack 2d6+7=18
Mel 1d6+9=15

Sisco 22
Jack 18
Snap 17
Mel 15

I've taken the doberman out of the initiative since he is inside the van and not really able to participate. If you guys want to have him leave the van, I can certainly roll initiative for him. IC post is current (next time I'll add in that Snap has moved to the back of the van).

Actions?
Jack VII
Did I suppress last CT? If so, I need to reload (although I probably need to check to see if I have the ammo for it). I guess in retrospect, I probably should have waited until the van was passing the bad guys to suppress them.

As far as I can tell, I crossed the border with three full magazines of REG ammo, a magazine of GEL, and a magazine of APDS. I need to check to see what I've actually used, although I imagine I would have at least cross-loaded ammo to have a full magazine available.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 24 2015, 04:42 PM) *
Did I suppress last CT? If so, I need to reload (although I probably need to check to see if I have the ammo for it). I guess in retrospect, I probably should have waited until the van was passing the bad guys to suppress them.

As far as I can tell, I crossed the border with three full magazines of REG ammo, a magazine of GEL, and a magazine of APDS. I need to check to see what I've actually used.

Jack - as far as I recall, apart from the ammo used at the estate (which is already on the ammo tracker) you have only used suppressive fire once - (so you've used 20 rounds this battle).
Jack VII
OK, then I have to reload at the top of this CT. I guess I'll reload a fresh magazine and shoot a short 6-round FA burst at someone. Next pass, I'll suppress again if necessary.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 24 2015, 03:51 PM) *
OK, then I have to reload at the top of this CT. I guess I'll reload a fresh magazine and shoot a short 6-round FA burst at someone. Next pass, I'll suppress again if necessary.

Ok so:

Sisco 22
Jack 18 - Simple Action - 6 round FA burst, Free Action, eject clip, Simple Action Load clip
Snap 17
Mel 15

Chrome Head
I'm not sure I understand the situation well. Where are we and where is the opposition with respect to our position? What are they doing?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 24 2015, 05:36 PM) *
I'm not sure I understand the situation well. Where are we and where is the opposition with respect to our position? What are they doing?

No problem asking questions happy to clarify.

Currently you are on the northern side of the building, heading down a relatively wide alley in an easterly direction. You were 75 meters from the northeast corner, but after the lat combat turn, you moved 40 meters, and are now a mere 35 meters from the corner. Three triad members were at the corner of the building, one of which twisted his ankle trying to jump into the illusionary hole in the ground you created. They were getting ready to fire at the van when Jack laid down suppressing fire, causing them to drop prone. This action, Sisco will have to make a drive test to turn the corner at speed, and head south toward the exit.

There are two SUVs, with two more triad members outside of them, currently exchanging gunfire with the two of Hun Lao's guards who you left behind. Hung Lao's guards are inside the building, the two triad members are outside the east entrance, taking cover behind their SUVs. It is possible there are drivers inside the SUVs, you cant tell. These SUVs are about 50 meters or so south of the three Triad members at the corner, and so assuming Sisco makes his test, you'll be passing them on the next combat turn.

Finally, there are three more Triad members on the southern side of the building, who you will eventually pass on the way to the exit. They were heading west to come around behind you, but the others will radio your position, and they will start heading back east. They won't catch you (since they are on foot) but when you come around to the southern side toward the exit, they'll be able to shoot at you.

Any other questions - I'm happy to elaborate more if you would like.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 24 2015, 10:28 PM) *
Any other questions - I'm happy to elaborate more if you would like.

That was perfect, thanks!

Very exciting scene smile.gif

Since Snap is at the back of the van, I think she needs to wait until we have targets to our back before she can be useful. Not sure if this will happen this round or not. If so, she'd cast Mass confusion F4 on the 3 gunmen at the corner.
Melpomene
Is my flash-bang still a viable option? If it looks like people are close to it or heading toward it, I'll get ready to activate. Otherwise, I'll pop it anyway.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Sep 25 2015, 10:36 AM) *
Is my flash-bang still a viable option? If it looks like people are close to it or heading toward it, I'll get ready to activate. Otherwise, I'll pop it anyway.

The flash bang might affect the three guys in front of you - since the van will block most of the flash, and they are too far for the shockwave to affect them really. (If you set it off, Snap is currently looking out the back of the van right at it, so you may want to warn her first.)

Not sure if you noticed in the IC post, but you did spot an icon that did not belong to either your team or Hung Laos....
PraetorGradivus
Question-the back of the van, are the doors open or closed?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Sep 25 2015, 02:47 PM) *
Question-the back of the van, are the doors open or closed?

The doors are closed, but Snap is at the window in preparation to cast a spell if necessary.
PraetorGradivus
Okay- continue to head towards the gate and out, taking a vehicle test for turning the corner at speed.
14 dice minus wound modifier.
Lobo0705
Sisco 22 - Complex Action - perform drive test
Jack 18 - Simple Action - 6 round FA burst, Free Action, eject clip, Simple Action Load clip
Snap 17 - Delay Action
Mel 15 - ??
Melpomene
Concentrate on that hidden icon. Matrix Perception check.

Also, forget about the flash-bang for now.
Lobo0705
Sisco 22 - Complex Action - perform drive test
Snap 17 - Delay Action
Mel 15 - Complex Action - Matrix Perception

First up the Drive test:

Threshold = base 2 an Average test.
Decreased by 2 (level of Sisco's VCR)
Increased by 2 for Restricted Terrain - means Sisco needs 2 hits.

His dice pool is 14, -1 for wounds:
13d6.hits(5)=6

He easily makes the turn smile.gif

Next is Jack's shot:
Agility 5, Automatics 4, SM +2 = 11
-4 for movement speed
-6 for recoil, +1 for RC of HK227, +4 for Strenght = -1
Total of 6 dice

6d6.hits(5)=3 3 hits

Triad attempts to dodge, base dice = 8, -6 from Full Auto, -2 because he was prone, so he cannot dodge.

Base damage on an HK227 = 7, +3 for net hits, or 10P, changed to 10 S due to body armor.

Armor 12 + Body 4 = 16 dice
16d6.hits(5)=3

So the goon takes 7 points of Stun Damage, "knocking him down" - although he is already prone.

Mel's Matrix Perception:
Comp 6, Perception 5, Codeslinger +2
13d6.hits(5)=2

Device resists with Logic
3d6.hits(5)=1

So you get to ask one question.

The two remaining Triad Members will fire back at the van:

Automatics 4, Agility 4, SM +2 = 10 dice
-4 for speed differential
+1 for Size
-6 for Recoil, +2 for weapon modifications, +3 for strength = -1
= 6 dice
6d6.hits(5)=2

Base Damage of the weapon is not higher than the armor of the vehicle, so no damage.

The second Triad member shoots (identical modifiers)
6d6.hits(5)=3

Same result

The third Triad member, seeing the ineffectiveness of their weapons against the vehicle, ejects his mag, puts in a new one, and talks into his mic.

Snap still has an action (although she can't see anything at the moment, we still need to see what question Mel wants to ask, but then it is IP 2

Sisco 12
Jack 8
Snap 7
Mel 5 -

Melpomene
Question is what was the last Matrix action taken by the device.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Sep 28 2015, 12:07 PM) *
Question is what was the last Matrix action taken by the device.

Send Message - I'll throw an IC post up soon.
Chrome Head
Snap still needs to see something to have anything useful to do, well except maybe summoning a spirit!

Let's summon a F4 human spirit with Optional Power: Spell(Mass Confusion). I'm considering using it for Guard, Accident and/or casting.

Note: Up to you, but she could have done that on IP1 after delaying.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Sep 28 2015, 08:09 PM) *
Snap still needs to see something to have anything useful to do, well except maybe summoning a spirit!

Let's summon a F4 human spirit with Optional Power: Spell(Mass Confusion). I'm considering using it for Guard, Accident and/or casting.

Note: Up to you, but she could have done that on IP1 after delaying.

I would say you could, except you still have the first spirit using its power of Movement on you. Dismissing that is a Simple Action, which you can do on IP 1, and then on IP 2 you can summon a new one. Since movement is only done at the beginning of the Round, you won't be in a position to see anything until IP 1 of the next combat turn.

So, on IP 1, you Dismiss the Spirit (and still have another Simple Action, should you wish to take it) and then on IP 2 at Initiative 7 you summon the spirit.

Lets get that out of the way:

You summon
12d6.hits(5)=4 = 4 hits

It resists
4d6.hits(5)=0

You resist 2DV Drain
13d6.hits(5)=5

Sisco 12
Jack 8
Snap 7 - Summon Force 4 Spirit of Man (Spellcasting), 4 services, no drain.
Mel 5 -

Jack VII
If the nearest threat is the group that has been shooting at us and we can still see them, Jack will Take Aim and fire another Simple Action FA burst at the guy who changed out his magazine.

He'll also text Sisco and warn him that they're about to probably start using armor piercing rounds. I don't think Sisco has used Evasive Driving yet, but he could in case he gets shot at again. Since it works like Full Defense, it would add Intuition to his defense rolls for the rest of the CT, if that matters.

Aside: I think it's a pretty good call, but is there an actual penalty for speed differential to shooting? I just don't remember it if it is. I know there's a penalty to firing an unmounted weapon from a vehicle (-2), but I wasn't sure if that was subsumed here.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Sep 29 2015, 08:13 AM) *
If the nearest threat is the group that has been shooting at us and we can still see them, Jack will Take Aim and fire another Simple Action FA burst at the guy who changed out his magazine.

He'll also text Sisco and warn him that they're about to probably start using armor piercing rounds. I don't think Sisco has used Evasive Driving yet, but he could in case he gets shot at again. Since it works like Full Defense, it would add Intuition to his defense rolls for the rest of the CT, if that matters.

Aside: I think it's a pretty good call, but is there an actual penalty for speed differential to shooting? I just don't remember it if it is. I know there's a penalty to firing an unmounted weapon from a vehicle (-2) but wasn't sure if that would be subsumed or not.

The nearest threat is still the three goons near the corner. You are still about 60 or 70 meters from the two guys by the SUVs (and the SUVs themselves), while the three goons are about 5 to 10 meters away from you.

Here is where the vehicle rules are really confusing (and probably unnecessarily so). They separate combat with vehicles into Tactical Combat (i.e. what you are in now) and Chase Combat (which is what we've done before when the participants are ALL vehicles and passengers).

Everything listed from page 203 to 205 is part of Chase Combat - many of these, btw, mimic things in Tactical Combat, but not all are the same. So while he can't do Evasive Driving, he can go on Full Defense (while driving). You still get the -2 for shooting from a moving vehicle, but because it is listed as a ranged modifier on the table on page 176 (it is repeated on page 205, but that is for Chase Combat.) I haven't done an exhaustive search to find the differences, but when I'm looking up rules, those are the ones I'm using - just in case you guys are trying to figure out what I'm doing.

The penalty for speed differential in shooting is from Run and Gun page 108 (along with the size modifier).

Bear in mind at the speed he is going, he gets a -3 to Dodge, which means with the -7 for wounds and full auto, his 10 dice for Reaction and Intuition are reduced to 0 - which is why I didn't have him dodge. Fortunately, the small caliber rounds of their SMGs just flattened against Mr. T's armor.

I probably should have (and will ask going forward) whether or not he would have attempted to Dodge, but since he has a very good chance of glitching or even critical glitching (which would NOT be good while he is driving), I just had him not bother to dodge, since the bullets couldn't hurt him. A little metagaming on my part, but in your guys favor. smile.gif
Melpomene
Next opportunity, Mel will attempt a Data Spike on that icon.
Lobo0705
Sisco 12 - ??
Jack 8 - Free Action, send message, Simple Action Take Aim, Simple Action, Fire 6 round FA burst
Snap 7 - Complex Action Summon Force 4 Spirit of Man (Spellcasting), 4 services, no drain.
Mel 5 - Complex Action - Data Spike

Resolving Jack's action:

Agility 5, Automatics 4, SM +2, +1 for Take Aim = 12
-4 for movement speed
-6 for recoil, +1 for RC of HK227, +4 for Strength = -1
Total of 7 dice

7d6.hits(5)=1

Triad is no longer prone, so he doesn't take that penalty, but he is the one who had taken the 7 boxes of stun damage (which is why he went after the other two). So he has 8 dice, -6 for full auto, -2 for wounds, so no dodge.

Base damage on an HK227 = 7, +1 for net hits, or 9P, changed to 9S due to body armor.

Armor 12 + Body 4 = 16 dice
16d6.hits(5)=3

So he takes 6 more boxes of Stun damage, knocking him unconscious.

Mel's action to Data Spike:
Per post#1513 ASDF of 6 5 5 3
Signal Scrub
Stealth

Data Spike
Cybercombat 3 + Logic 6 = 9 dice, Noise=0 (You are on the same grid, Distance is <100 meters, Area gives you 2 points of noise, negated by Signal Scrub)
9d6.hits(5)=3

It resists with Device Rating+Intuition = 6 dice
6d6.hits(5)=2

So your damage is base 6, +1 for 1 net hit = 7

It resists with Device Rating + Firewall
6d6.hits(5)=2

So it takes 5 points of Matrix Damage.

ETA - Jack - I'd forgotten that you had purchased a Foregrip for your HK - you should not be suffering any penalties for your 6 round bursts from your HK. It didn't matter in this case, since adding 1 die to the initial attack would not have knocked him out even had it been a hit, and your second attack knocked him unconscious. Totally not a priority - but when you are bored if you can update your character sheet in the dropbox to include that, that would be great smile.gif
Melpomene
Mel's next action will be another DS.
Jack VII
It's normally mounted on (and listed with) the M23, but I swapped it over to the HK since I didn't take the AR. It is updated in my most recent gear update. I think what I'll do is add a spoiler block to my character sheet on page 1 of this thread with the gear that I have, because it's been a pain to go back and search to see what I did and did not bring with me to the CAS.

I updated with everything I listed in the post where we were crossing the border (I removed a suppressor, I'm not sure why I would have brought one of those over). I haven't included anything we've purchased here, mostly because I don't remember but don't think Jack got much of it other than that linguasoft (or we already used it, like the welding supplies.
PraetorGradivus
You lost me at -7 for wounds....
Lobo0705
QUOTE (PraetorGradivus @ Sep 29 2015, 01:33 PM) *
You lost me at -7 for wounds....

Sorry - should have been -6

-1 for Wounds
-5 for 6 round burst
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Sep 28 2015, 11:22 PM) *
So, on IP 1, you Dismiss the Spirit (and still have another Simple Action, should you wish to take it) and then on IP 2 at Initiative 7 you summon the spirit.

Yup, that's what I had in mind. The Movement power isn't especially useful anymore since it doesn't affect the van.
Lobo0705
PG - any actions for you in IP 2?

If not, then we can move to IP 3...
PraetorGradivus
just cruising along, go to next
Lobo0705
Ok - since you don't have an action on 12, I'm assuming you don't have an action on 2 either.

Next Combat Turn

Sisco
3d6+8=19
Snap
4d6+11=30
Spirit of Man
3d6+8=22
Jack
2d6+7=17
Mel
1d6+9=11

Snap 30
Spirit of Man 22
Sisco 18
Jack 17
Mel 11 - Data Spike

Actions everyone?
Jack VII
If I added correctly, I should have 22 rounds in the HK.

If the goons I've been shooting at change ammunition, I'll suppress them. Otherwise, I'm going to start looking for threats in front of us. I am going to assume that the guy I knocked out instructed everyone to change their ammo load to take down the van.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 1 2015, 10:57 AM) *
If I added correctly, I should have 22 rounds in the HK.

If the goons I've been shooting at change ammunition, I'll suppress them. Otherwise, I'm going to start looking for threats in front of us. I am going to assume that the guy I knocked out instructed everyone to change their ammo load to take down the van.

When Sisco goes, the van will move 40 meters south (unless he does something different). This will put the guys you have been shooting at about 35 meters behind you, and the SUVs and the two goons near them about 10 meters in front of you.

You can certainly delay your action to see what they do, the problem is that you can either take your Action Phase before their Action Phase or after their Action Phase - you can't go in the middle of their Action Phase. Their Action Phase, assuming they want to switch mags, they can Eject as a free action, put in a new mag as a simple action, and then fire as a simple action - so if you delay to see whether or not they are switching ammunition, they will have switched and fired before you go. You could of course just shoot them first.
Jack VII
This part of the Delayed Action section to me sounds like I can take an action during the same initiative score as them, even in the middle of it.

Characters who have a Delayed Action and intervene in this manner can choose to go before, after, or at the same time as a
currently acting character who would normally take his action on that Initiative Score; any actions they take receive a –1 dice pool penalty.

But I'm happy to defer to your ruling.

I'll just shoot the guys at the SUV, I guess.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 1 2015, 02:43 PM) *
This part of the Delayed Action section to me sounds like I can take an action during the same initiative score as them, even in the middle of it.

But I'm happy to defer to your ruling.

I'll just shoot the guys at the SUV, I guess.

My bad - I didn't realize you could go at the same time - I thought you had to go before or after. In light of that, you can certainly go at the same time. I wonder how that works timing wise.

Example:

Your Action Phase, you have a Complex Action to Suppress
Their Action Phase, they take a Free Action to Eject, a Simple Action to load, a Simple Action to fire. Are they suppressed when they fire, since both Action Phases are simultaneous?

What if they only took a Simple Action and shot? Would that resolve before your Complex Action?

I'm not pretending to have the right answers, I'm just curious.
Chrome Head
Snap will instruct the Man spirit to use the Guard power on our team (Sisco, Jack, Mel, and herself). She'll send a message to Sisco with the other Simple Action.

<<@Sisco [Snap] Drive as wild as you want, you got a guardian angel watching over your shoulder now.>>
Lobo0705
Snap 30 - Simple Action - Command Spirit to use Guard, Simple Action Send Message
Spirit of Man 22 - Materialize
Sisco 18 - ??
Jack 17 - Delay Action
Mel 11 - Data Spike

Sisco - anything other than just Drive?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Oct 1 2015, 01:41 PM) *
I'm not pretending to have the right answers, I'm just curious.

I really have no idea. I think the idea is that if someone has delayed, they've got quicker reactions, so I think they can essentially choose when their action occurs and know what the other person is intending to do.

Thematically, I think this would match up well with the concept of the high noon shootout where it isn't the person who tries to draw first who wins, but the gunman who clears his weapon ans shoots straight who wins. Or think about the hostage taker situation. If actions couldn't be interrupted, the hostage taker would always shoot the hostage since they couldn't be interrupted. Going on the fictional trope though, the authorities usually shoot the guy as he squints his eyes and starts to pull the trigger but kill him before he completes the pull. It's totally fictional trope based, but I think thematic.

Another wrinkle is that suppressing fire, for instance, is an action that lasts across the entire CT, not just the IP it occurs in, so just because you start it doesn't mean it ends there.

Really, totally up to you how you want to handle it though, I'm easy either way.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Oct 1 2015, 04:58 PM) *
I really have no idea. I think the idea is that if someone has delayed, they've got quicker reactions, so I think they can essentially choose when their action occurs and know what the other person is intending to do.

Thematically, I think this would match up well with the concept of the high noon shootout where it isn't the person who tries to draw first who wins, but the gunman who clears his weapon ans shoots straight who wins. Or think about the hostage taker situation. If actions couldn't be interrupted, the hostage taker would always shoot the hostage since they couldn't be interrupted. Going on the fictional trope though, the authorities usually shoot the guy as he squints his eyes and starts to pull the trigger but kill him before he completes the pull. It's totally fictional trope based, but I think thematic.

Another wrinkle is that suppressing fire, for instance, is an action that lasts across the entire CT, not just the IP it occurs in, so just because you start it doesn't mean it ends there.

Really, totally up to you how you want to handle it though, I'm easy either way.

Good points - I think the way to do it, although in this format it might cause a slight delay, is to have the other person declare their action to the delaying character.

So lets say your initiative is 17. Your opponents is 11. You delay your action, having the opportunity to act at 16, 15, 14, 13, 12 all without any information from the person going at 11. At 11, I would tell you what his action is going to be, and then you need to decide whether you will act before, during, or after him.

This, I think, models the hostage situation you describe above. Sound like a plan?

Just waiting on Sisco, then I'll put up an IC post and we can resolve Jack's action.
Jack VII
Makes sense to me. I get the delay is problematic in this format, so hopefully it won't come up too much. It also seems like a fair tradeoff for the -1 dice penalty that delaying causes.
Jack VII
Very weird, I definitely only pressed send once on that last message. Oh well.
PraetorGradivus
I'll take the complex action to control vehicle on my first pass.
Lobo0705
Snap 30 - Simple Action - Command Spirit to use Guard, Simple Action Send Message
Spirit of Man 22 - Materialize
Sisco 18 - Complex Action - Control Vehicle
Jack 17 - Delay Action
Mel 11 - Data Spike

Jack - at 14 the two men by the SUV's to the front of you are going to get in their vehicles. The two men behind you are going to switch mags and fire. What would you like to do?
Jack VII
Sorry for the delay, I'll suppress the jokers behind us. Hopefully Sisco can run circles around the vehicles. Or maybe Mel can jack them up if they're wireless enabled once she gets done bricking the bug.
PraetorGradivus
For my next action I'll try and ram the two goons in front of Mr T.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012