Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Jack VII
Well... I didn't accept yet. I said I was interested, I think? nyahnyah.gif

ETA: After all the discussion we had about not setting up a team fund because we didn't really know each other, I didn't think we were actually negotiating as a team yet either, to be honest.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 11:32 AM) *
Well... I didn't accept yet. I said I was interested, I think? nyahnyah.gif

ETA: After all the discussion we had about not setting up a team fund because we didn't really know each other, I didn't think we were actually negotiating as a team yet either, to be honest.

Sorry for the pot-shot cyber.gif I'll point out that Grease felt Jack was weakening HIS options; not the teams.
ETA: You've got a double-post up there Jack. Dumb DS. Time for some internal dialogue!
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 12 2014, 10:38 AM) *
Sorry for the pot-shot cyber.gif I'll point out that Grease felt Jack was weakening HIS options; not the teams.

Sorry, I just got from the inner monologue that Grease had for some reason expected Jack to be quiet.
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 12 2014, 10:38 AM) *
ETA: You've got a double-post up there Jack. Dumb DS. Time for some internal dialogue!

Actually, I just decided to step on Grease's feet again and asked a follow up. nyahnyah.gif LOL
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 11:39 AM) *
Sorry, I just got from the inner monologue that Grease had for some reason expected Jack to be quiet.

Of course. This is the Grease show! Why would anyone talk besides him?

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 11:39 AM) *
Actually, I just decided to step on Grease's feet again and asked a follow up. nyahnyah.gif LOL

Which I think Lobo already answered in the cross-post cyber.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 12 2014, 10:43 AM) *
Which I think Lobo already answered in the cross-post cyber.gif

Did I miss that in the original post or was that edited in, Lobo? God, I'm getting old if the former.

Whelp, time to edit that post and hope the DS gods don't force a double post again.
Lobo0705
I will be away from my desk for an hour or two.

Jack - I had edited that in before you posted - you aren't crazy wink.gif
Lobo0705
Jack - one other thing, you have in your last post "Alive"

They are not alive - just a typo on your end that you can fix.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 12 2014, 11:31 AM) *
Jack - one other thing, you have in your last post "Alive"

They are not alive - just a typo on your end that you can fix.

I actually just fixed that, LOL.
Jack VII
Mel, are you running your commlink silent? I was about to compose a message, but wasn't sure if I would be able to spot your commcode without rolling for it.
Melpomene
Mel is not running silent currently.
Jack VII
@Mel: Thanks!

@Lobo: Jack is trying to assist Grease with a Teamwork test to settle on their contract for the job. He's got CHA (3) + Negotiation (3) + Specialization (2) and his Social Limit is 6 with his suit.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 02:38 PM) *
@Mel: Thanks!

@Lobo: Jack is trying to assist Grease with a Teamwork test to settle on their contract for the job. He's got CHA (3) + Negotiation (3) + Specialization (2) and his Social Limit is 6 with his suit.

I'll end up negotiating a bit more once we get more details around the job, but imagine that we'll end up going back and forth on some of the details Jack mentioned.

-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 12 2014, 02:42 PM) *
I'll end up negotiating a bit more once we get more details around the job, but imagine that we'll end up going back and forth on some of the details Jack mentioned.

-DrZ

Ok - well then I'll do the rolls when you actually ask for the money.

In the meantime, let's give Chrome some more time to respond - he must be busy this morning (its only 12:00 his time).

I'll be online for another hour and a half, and then I'll be busy with my PnP game, just as an FYI - but I'll be able to post late tonight when I'm done.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 12 2014, 03:07 PM) *
Ok - well then I'll do the rolls when you actually ask for the money.

In the meantime, let's give Chrome some more time to respond - he must be busy this morning (its only 12:00 his time).

I'll be online for another hour and a half, and then I'll be busy with my PnP game, just as an FYI - but I'll be able to post late tonight when I'm done.

Sounds good. I imagine Chrome will agree to the job, but he may have some other line of inquiry we haven't thought of.

I always disliked the whole, "Do you want to agree to the job that the GM has spent time preparing, or take a walk?" cyber.gif There should be a better way of setting this up; the odds are in favor of us doing the job you've written; the formality of this aspect of it seems a bit contrived.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 12 2014, 03:10 PM) *
I always disliked the whole, "Do you want to agree to the job that the GM has spent time preparing, or take a walk?" cyber.gif There should be a better way of setting this up; the odds are in favor of us doing the job you've written; the formality of this aspect of it seems a bit contrived.

In a PnP format, I have run campaigns where I have multiple adventures ready, and depending on the player's decision, I can run one or the other. That is the same way here really, and honestly, it is probably MORE relevant here. After all, if we all meet at my house and you guys don't want to do the run, and I don't have another one prepared, I can't realistically come up with another one on the spot.

On the other hand, if you don't like this mission, it isn't that hard for me to say "Guys, give me like a day or two to sketch out another one" and then we can start fresh.
Jack VII
I've never really had a problem with the railroad nature of this type of stuff. I mean, I'm really not expecting a DM/GM to come up with an open-world sandbox and the other alternative is to start the run in media res with us already having accepted the job (which eliminates the chance of doing IC digs at each other, where's the fun in that?). I think SR actually does a pretty good job with it. Assuming you turn down enough jobs, your fixer might start looking elsewhere and/or start giving you crappier gigs. There's actually an in-world reason for taking jobs, even if you otherwise might not want to (aside from the money issue).

I'm totally down for a B&E heist. I'm sure there are going to be some curve balls thrown in there, but it sounds like fun!
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 03:42 PM) *
I'm totally down for a B&E heist. I'm sure there are going to be some curve balls thrown in there, but it sounds like fun!

Me too- I just think SR could come up with a better way to set things up, canon-wise. It's good to know that Lobo is willing to mix things up if we REALLY don't want to take a job; but I'll try not to be that difficult just for difficulty's sake.

-DrZ
Chrome Head
Hey sorry for the delay (again!!). I think things are gonna get better on my end, but you can at least expect a post a day from me for now.

I just rolled with the fact that Amy wasn't her usual reactive self during the meet this time around.

Btw, I edited my char sheet with Fake SIN and fake license that were missing, as well as the trodes. I also added the trodes in my gear list in IC. I'll have to go back to the end of the Broken Star OOC and double check that I've actually included all my new gear into my new sheet.
Jack VII
No worries about the delay!

The only thing I think you could add to your character sheet is a set of work overalls. We all got a set to use for the Apartment Job and paid Grease back for it, so it should be yours.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 12 2014, 06:23 PM) *
No worries about the delay!

The only thing I think you could add to your character sheet is a set of work overalls. We all got a set to use for the Apartment Job and paid Grease back for it, so it should be yours.

Thanks for looking at it, I made the edit.
Lobo0705
Sorry about the delay, that one took a while to write smile.gif
Jack VII
No problem. Soooo many questions. I wonder who the adept kid in the video was? Seems like she'd do better by hooking up with him.
DrZaius
Im going to wait to reply until Jack finishes up his line of inquiry.

-DrZ

ETA: I was thinking the same thing about the Linguasofts. Otherwise, this is going to end up like "Big Trouble in Little China"
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 09:27 AM) *
Im going to wait to reply until Jack finishes up his line of inquiry.

-DrZ

I've got lots of questions, but will hold off once he answers about Huiquing's connections so everyone else can ask their questions.

My List of Things to Ask:
1) Coyote
2) Shock-Proof Cases

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 09:27 AM) *
ETA:Otherwise, this is going to end up like "Big Trouble in Little China"

God I hope so. On the plus side, that means Grease gets to drive the Porkchop Express. Who am I kidding? If it ends up like "Big Trouble in Little China" everything is on the plus side.
DrZaius
As tricky as it will be, Grease will watch her like a hawk while Chapel translates what he says to see if she reacts significantly to his question.
Jack VII
Do any of us know anything about the White Lotus Triads? The only skill I think that might even be remotely applicable is Denver Area Knowledge.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 10:52 AM) *
Do any of us know anything about the White Lotus Triads? The only skill I think that might even be remotely applicable is Denver Area Knowledge.

Given your team's set of Knowledge Skills, Denver Area Knowledge would be the only appropriate skill, and that is only going to get you vague information. However, it doesn't hurt to roll it (unless you critically glitch, I suppose).

Jack and Grease, you basically have heard of them the way that most New Yorkers have heard of the Gambino family IRL. You know they exist, you know they are into a lot of illegal stuff, and that they feud with the other Triads, but that's about it.

Mel, you know that, as well as the fact that their main opposition among in Chinatown is the Golden Triangle Triad, but nothing further.

Snap, your Area Knowledge is that of the Warrens, and since the Triads are in the CAS zone, you have not heard of them at all.
Melpomene
If this does turn into "Big Trouble in Little China", Snap and I should probably invest in green contact lenses...just to be sure.
DrZaius
d'oh! cross post. I'll wait for her to respond to Jack before posting my question, to keep things easy to read.

-DrZ
Jack VII
Sorry! I usually check to see what people are doing on the Forums before I post, but sometimes I take too long.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 12:09 PM) *
d'oh! cross post. I'll wait for her to respond to Jack before posting my question, to keep things easy to read.

-DrZ

Am I missing the cross post?

The posts I see are all alternating - one of you asks a question, and Chapel answers.... I don't see two in a row from you guys.

Jack VII
I was thinking Z noticed I had posted before finishing his own.

Whoever wants to ask about Hao Fe, feel free. Because we're gonna ask about Hao Fe...
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 12:22 PM) *
I was thinking Z noticed I had posted before finishing his own.

Whoever wants to ask about Hao Fe, feel free. Because we're gonna ask about Hao Fe...

Yeah, Jack's popped up as I was editing my post. It should all be in the right order now.
-DrZ
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 12:27 PM) *
Yeah, Jack's popped up as I was editing my post. It should all be in the right order now.
-DrZ

For the Face of the group, Grease sure has a way of putting people on edge.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 13 2014, 12:33 PM) *
For the Face of the group, Grease sure has a way of putting people on edge.

She's not dealing on the level! I'm trying to ferret out this conspiracy, man!

-DrZ

ETA: I'll add that whatever gestures, motions, and body-language to make it *as polite as possible* would be useful, since I clearly am not as charming as Grease is cyber.gif
ETA2: If you think this is way, way across the line let me know; we could figure out a way of having me roll etiquette or something to keep my trap shut instead of saying this stuff out loud..
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 12:37 PM) *
She's not dealing on the level! I'm trying to ferret out this conspiracy, man!

-DrZ

ETA: I'll add that whatever gestures, motions, and body-language to make it *as polite as possible* would be useful, since I clearly am not as charming as Grease is cyber.gif
ETA2: If you think this is way, way across the line let me know; we could figure out a way of having me roll etiquette or something to keep my trap shut instead of saying this stuff out loud..

Lol - I'm not penalizing you for it, if it was something truly egregious I would give you an etiquette roll OOC, and if you passed I would say "That isn't a good idea" OOC.

If you failed, I'd let you go ahead and make the faux pas.

ETA - I see from your ETA 2 we think alike smile.gif

ETA2 - you have a higher loyalty with Chapel than the rest of the group, he'll probably just let this one go. I would say if you have another one during this conversation, I'll have you make the roll.
Jack VII
If only you were on drugs for this meet, that would be amazing...

ETA: Checking the news feed for news on Chinatown. Particularly looking for reports of unrest. I know the most recent issue of the Tribune mentioned something about gang warfare in/around Chinatown.

If needed:
Computer Search: INT (3) + Computer (2) [5] (5d6.hits(5)=1) (LOL and I glitched)
Lobo0705
See!

It isn't just me who rolls shitty on IC smile.gif

Apart from the issue of the Tribune, you are unable to find anything resembling unrest in Chinatown. As far as you are concerned, it is quiet and peaceful, and the incident in the Tribune is just an anomaly.
Jack VII
One roll vs. Legion... LOL

I figured I'd get a bunch of information on gang warfare in Chinatown (in the CFS).
Chrome Head
I was in the process of posting IC, but I just realized that Amy would have assensed the Johnson and that it could affect what I post. Could you roll it and tell me what I find out? The most important piece of information, of course is to figure out if she's awakened or not... and of course finding a lot of cyberware would change things a fair bit.
DrZaius
Ach! Sorry Chrome; I was writing my long post before I checked OOC.
Jack VII
Did I miss somewhere that Grease was Asian?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 13 2014, 02:05 PM) *
I was in the process of posting IC, but I just realized that Amy would have assensed the Johnson and that it could affect what I post. Could you roll it and tell me what I find out? The most important piece of information, of course is to figure out if she's awakened or not... and of course finding a lot of cyberware would change things a fair bit.

Sorry I've been away from my desk for a little while - your assensing test shows that she is mundane, and appears to have a very minimal amount of cyberware. Mel, as an example, shows as having more cyberware than Jingfei.

Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 02:10 PM) *

I'm trying to imagine Chapel translating this story, and his sort of growing look of incredulity as he does so.

Grease, the man who sounds high, even when he isn't wink.gif

On a side note, I appreciate the story, and it will probably resonate with Jingfei, but to everyone else in the room you look like you are effing crazy - then again, what matters is the Johnson. smile.gif
Jack VII
I wish Grease was telling the Gold Watch story from Pulp Fiction a la Christopher Walken.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 13 2014, 02:10 PM) *

Grease speaks fluent B.S., and I think Mrs. Johnson is also an expert. cyber.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 01:22 PM) *
Grease speaks fluent B.S., and I think Mrs. Johnson is also an expert. cyber.gif

I can't wait until we run into a black Mr. Johnson and Grease tries to commiserate over "their" people being in bondage in the past.

ETA: I also have to admit that I am cracking up at my desk over this, especially with Lobo describing Chapel's reaction to it.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 02:22 PM) *

So, just so I know, is he referencing an ACTUAL story that she would recognize, or is he just making it up on the spot.

I can't tell, either is fine, but it would influence her answer.

Also, if it IS an actual story, what is the end of the story?

ETA - leaving work now for my son's Parent Teacher Conference - will try and log in later today.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 13 2014, 02:23 PM) *
So, just so I know, is he referencing an ACTUAL story that she would recognize, or is he just making it up on the spot.

I can't tell, either is fine, but it would influence her answer.

Also, if it IS an actual story, what is the end of the story?

I made it up on the spot.

The actual story is that I think she's been playing a long con; but she got burned and can't finish it without outside help. I think the subtext of the story would be enough for her to gather that, without outright accusing her of misleading us. Does that seem fair?

-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 13 2014, 01:26 PM) *
I made it up on the spot.

The actual story is that I think she's been playing a long con; but she got burned and can't finish it without outside help. I think the subtext of the story would be enough for her to gather that, without outright accusing her of misleading us. Does that seem fair?

This is like a super low-rent version of two 4E adepts using kinesics to talk to each other. beret.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012