Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Chrome Head
Amy's going to summon a Human Spirit F4, with the spell Phantasm.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 25 2014, 04:46 PM) *
Amy's going to summon a Human Spirit F4, with the spell Phantasm.

No problem smile.gif

Summoning test
12d6.hits(5)=4

Spirit Resists
4d6.hits(5)=1

So you have 3 services

Resist Drain 2DV
13d6.hits(5)=3

So no Drain smile.gif

Melpomene
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 25 2014, 03:16 PM) *
Lol - no - Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parson's Project

Isn't that some sort of hovercraft?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 25 2014, 05:03 PM) *
Isn't that some sort of hovercraft?

LOL, nice reference.

Within a minute, I had an Arrested Development reference thrown at me in a different SR game since one of my characters was taking Maritime Law & Procedures as a Knowledge Skill. LOL
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 06:05 PM) *
LOL, nice reference.

Within a minute, I had an Arrested Development reference thrown at me in a different SR game since one of my characters was taking Maritime Law & Procedures as a Knowledge Skill. LOL

Chareth Cutestory - is that you?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 25 2014, 05:37 PM) *
Chareth Cutestory - is that you?

That's the one, but I really didn't even think about that reference when I put the skill in there. Just funny.
DrZaius
IC post is up. Thanks for moving the ball forward today in my absence cyber.gif

I may post tomorrow morning, but then I'm going to hit the road. I will check in periodically, but I think it's safer to assume I won't be able to post until Sunday evening at the earliest. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

ETA: I'll just add that I think everyone is familiar enough with Grease's "voice"; I have no issue with any of you having him respond IC within your posts, and I can adjust afterwards based on what "Grease" said. I think that may be a good way to keep the plot moving since my new schedule doesn't allow for me to post until at least 6-7 PM EST (or first thing in the morning, if I'm feeling particularly chipper).
Lobo0705
No worries Dr. Z!

@Everyone,

I think I'm going to post you arriving at O'Roarke's, unless any of you have any interest in doing something before you get there.

If so, chime in. (of course feel free to post IC any responses you have to Sisco or Jack's message).
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 26 2014, 09:01 AM) *
No worries Dr. Z!

@Everyone,

I think I'm going to post you arriving at O'Roarke's, unless any of you have any interest in doing something before you get there.

If so, chime in. (of course feel free to post IC any responses you have to Sisco or Jack's message).

I'm fine transitioning. When he arrived, Grease would work the crowd looking for information. In particular, (while being somewhat subtle), he'd be interested in:

1) The Triads
2) The Target (the guy, not the stuff)
3) Any Street Rumors in the CAS, goings on, etc.
4) Important / Good people to know in the CAS sector

-DrZ
Chrome Head
This is all very new to Snap, she's not sure how to act in the environment we're in and we're going to. She'll mostly follow along at this point, try to intervene only when she thinks it can help, otherwise she trusts in Jack and Grease. She'll be as observant as she can though, specifically looking at auras with interest, to get a read on the various people we meet.
Lobo0705
Hey guys - Thanksgiving has been super busy - was out all day, and today is my wedding anniversary, so I will be unavailable today as well.

Tomorrow I will be on in the morning for a while, but then will be at another party.

Sorry for the break in posting. Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!
Jack VII
No problem, Lobo. I think we're all pretty busy with the holidays or (in my case) work. Working today, tomorrow, and Sunday. Joy...

Happy Anniversary, BTW!
Lobo0705
Thanks Jack wink.gif

Unfortunately my wife hurt her neck, so I spent a lot of the day in the doctor's office, and our plans got cancelled frown.gif

She is okay, just will be laid up for a couple days with muscle relaxers.

Ok, new IC post is up, if each of you could give me a quick post indicating what you are bringing into the bar, I would appreciate it, Jack, if you are contacting Stone or Tara, just throw that in there as well.

As always, any questions, please ask.
Jack VII
Bummer, that sucks.

Jack is going to bring in his Streetline Special and spare magazines. He's leaving everything else with Sisco.

I'm looking for Tara when we get inside.

Did you want the above as an IC post?
Chrome Head
Snap will tag along, trying to get a feel for the place in astral. She's bringing her bag and wears her jacket.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 29 2014, 01:23 PM) *
Bummer, that sucks.

Jack is going to bring in his Streetline Special and spare magazines. He's leaving everything else with Sisco.

I'm looking for Tara when we get inside.

Did you want the above as an IC post?

It isn't necessary, but if you would like to put up an IC post, I'm more than happy to see it smile.gif

Will wait for Dr. Z and Mel and then keep going.
Lobo0705
Ok - the weekend is over and I'm back on the job smile.gif (although I realize for Jack the weekend and the job are synonymous in this case).

Have to take my daughter to school, and then I'll come back and put up an IC post - I think what I'm going to do is have Jack and Snap find Tara, while Grease works the crowd as Dr. Z said.

Mel, no problem staying in the van - what are you going to poke around for?
Melpomene
I would like to try to get an early handle on the private host (which I assume to be in existence) at the target's home. If I have a physical address, can I identify the host that corresponds to it?
Jack VII
I'm going to have somewhat limited posting today. We closed out inventory yesterday and now have all of the paperwork demands that go with it. I can probably monitor the thread, but will be posting in a somewhat limited manner, at least until after lunch.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Dec 1 2014, 09:41 AM) *
I would like to try to get an early handle on the private host (which I assume to be in existence) at the target's home. If I have a physical address, can I identify the host that corresponds to it?

You actually have the location of the host from the Johnson, so no need to find it. In addition, due to the codes provided to you, it will do two things:

1) You will basically automatically gain a Mark against that host without having to Hack on the Fly.
2) You will gain a +4 bonus to all Matrix Actions while inside the Host, up until the point IC launches (you won't get it as a bonus to fight the IC).

Are you going to go into the Host now?

Melpomene
@Lobo,

yes, I would. Hot Sim, running:
Virtual Machine
Browse
Signal Scrub
Toolbox
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Dec 1 2014, 12:19 PM) *
@Lobo,

yes, I would. Hot Sim, running:
Virtual Machine
Browse
Signal Scrub
Toolbox

What is your ASDF?
Jack VII
@lobo: Cover Charge? I can't remember if you mentioned one...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 12:36 PM) *
@lobo: Cover Charge? I can't remember if you mentioned one...

Thanks for reminding me, but this is just a bar, no live entertainment or dance floor, so no cover.
Melpomene
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 12:31 PM) *
What is your ASDF?

A: 3
S: 6
D: 5
F: 5

ETA: I got my numbers switched. Above is now fixed.
Jack VII
Totally off-topic, but I've been looking at 5e D&D and it looks like a lot of fun. Rather simple and feels similar to 2E/3E. I may have to go look for a PbP game if I can find it. Wizards used to have PbP on their forums, but it appears to have disappeared. Sadness...
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Totally off-topic, but I've been looking at 5e D&D and it looks like a lot of fun. Rather simple and feels similar to 2E/3E. I may have to go look for a PbP game if I can find it. Wizards used to have PbP on their forums, but it appears to have disappeared. Sadness...

Aww frown.gif

However, I have to say I'm unable to I was very thrilled with 4e and haven't tried 5e.

Back on topic, what rating Linguasoft do you want?

(and your header is in blue, not orange - not that it is a big deal)
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 02:19 PM) *
However, I have to say I'm unable to I was very thrilled with 4e and haven't tried 5e.

I really wasn't a fan of 4th. I have to say that I never really gave it much of a shot, but it wasn't really appropriate for PbP given the primacy of battlegrids and lots of interrupt-style actions. 5th is really, really streamlined, which is weird that I like it so much since I usually like really crunchy games.

QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 02:19 PM) *
Back on topic, what rating Linguasoft do you want?

(and your header is in blue, not orange - not that it is a big deal)

It entirely depends on the cost, considering how swingy the cost of skillsoft potentially is... yeah, I fixed it before you posted, I think. wink.gif
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 03:28 PM) *
I really wasn't a fan of 4th. I have to say that I never really gave it much of a shot, but it wasn't really appropriate for PbP given the primacy of battlegrids and lots of interrupt-style actions. 5th is really, really streamlined, which is weird that I like it so much since I usually like really crunchy games.

It entirely depends on the cost, considering how swingy the cost of skillsoft potentially is... yeah, I fixed it before you posted, I think. wink.gif

I found when I played 4th (and this could have been just our group) it felt less like a roleplaying game and more like a tactical miniatures game - but that's me.

As far as cost, it is 2750 per rating point, before negotiation.

Jack VII
I think that was the common complaint for 4th. Some described it as a bit too much like a tactical video game.

As far as the linguasoft... we might not be buying one at that price. I was hoping it would be a bit more reasonably priced in the CAS, but the multiplier is even higher than the UCAS. I would argue that it's a team expense (since Jack doesn't really have any other reason to speak Mandarin), but I don't think the team is going to want to go in for 2750 nuyen.gif just for an R1 linguasoft.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 03:44 PM) *
I think that was the common complaint for 4th. Some described it as a bit too much like a tactical video game.

As far as the linguasoft... we might not be buying one at that price. I was hoping it would be a bit more reasonably priced in the CAS, but the multiplier is even higher than the UCAS. I would argue that it's a team expense (since Jack doesn't really have any other reason to speak Mandarin), but I don't think the team is going to want to go in for 2750 nuyen.gif just for an R1 linguasoft.

It is expensive - I just updated the price list to include costs in the CAS Zone.

Be thankful you don't have to replace Mel's deck here wink.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 02:53 PM) *
Be thankful you don't have to replace Mel's deck here wink.gif

Yet...

OK team, OOC-wise, do we want to drop nearly 3K for Jack to have a very basic understanding of Mandarin?
Lobo0705
@Chrome,

Your assensing test shows the Amerind to be similar to the bouncers at the door, a huge amount of cyber/bioware cover laced throughout his body.
Chrome Head
I'm down for spending the money on a R1 Mandarin soft. It will likely come in very handy in this run, and there's some minimal chance for reusability in other runs.

Re: D&D
I played a lot of 3rd and 3.5 up until maybe 8-10 years ago. 4th ed. feeling like an MMORPG more than a pen-and-paper did nothing for me and none of my rl gamer friends ever thought anything of it (neither did I). I like miniature gaming, but to me it's mostly tactical, not role-playing, and actual miniature games are better for that imo than the weird hybrid that 4th seemed to be. Since then, I've steered my group towards WFRP 2nd ed. (another old RPG) for our classic fantasy fix, mostly because we really love the setting, the career system is fun, and the rules are very simple.

What I hear (and have read) about 5th is positive, I'll be interested to hear about your experience with it, Jack.
DrZaius
I was actually going to suggest we look into Linguasofts before the Turkey Day break. Your social skills are capped by the level of the language you speak. So as charming as Grease can appear with hand gestures and pantomime, he'd be stuck defaulting since he doesn't speak Chinese. With a rating 1 in a language, all your social skills in that language are capped at 1: so Jack would be rolling what, 4-5 dice on a con check? "Me security. Me good here. Not bad. Problem?" That's presuming the trouble we run into doesn't speak English at all (which seems plausible, we are going into a cultural quarter here).

As an aside, I think I caught whatever Chrome had- I am dog sick. I will check after work per usual, and try to get a post in every day. But I may miss a day or two over the next few days. Feel free to continue NPCing Grease as needed (pretty much indefinitely- I don't have a problem having Lobo or anyone have Grease do Grease-like things).

-DrZ

ETA: I'm not sure where I came across it, but I emailed myself a PDF called "Superbookv9 SE5". I've thrown it in the dropbox folder under Sourcebooks. It's basically all the rules from all the current source books, pared down without any fluff. As an example, the entry for the Codeslinger Quality is: "Codeslinger – SR5. +2 DP to a single matrix action."

Figured it'd be handy to reference! Not sure what errata or whatnot has been incorporated, though.

ETA2: IC post is up. Same goals as what I stated previously; pressing the locals for information on the list of stuff I was interested in. If you need to, feel free to post IC back and forth between them and Grease. Alternatively, if you want to just post OOC here what we find out, and have Grease have a conversation "off stage", that's fine by me too! I'm easy. cyber.gif
Jack VII
Honestly, I was mostly shooting for the linguasoft mainly to be able to understand what they're saying on comms in case we run into a situation like we did at the park with the Yaks where we were able to hear what they were saying but not understand it. I wasn't really intending to use my meager social skills with it. I would be surprised if most of the people we run into don't also speak English, but they may use Mandarin (or, worse, Cantonese) for operational security purposes.

With that said, I'm not sure it's worth 2750 for an R1 linguasoft. The normal price is 1,000.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 07:22 PM) *
Honestly, I was mostly shooting for the linguasoft mainly to be able to understand what they're saying on comms in case we run into a situation like we did at the park with the Yaks where we were able to hear what they were saying but not understand it. I wasn't really intending to use my meager social skills with it. I would be surprised if most of the people we run into don't also speak English, but they may use Mandarin (or, worse, Cantonese) for operational security purposes.

With that said, I'm not sure it's worth 2750 for an R1 linguasoft. The normal price is 1,000.

True, but I'm unsure if the "normal" price isn't actually just the base given the setting's COLA. It's possible it could cost extra to get it tonight, or the COLA is worse for this in the CAS, or any number of factors. I personally think having it for the reason you just listed is valuable. I'd say you need to make a judgement call; I (as a player) don't have a problem with the expense.
Jack VII
It's due to the COLA. Lobo posted a CAS COLA with the adjustments (2.75 for Programs). Linguas have an availability of 2 so the other issue is getting it in time. The base time is going to be 2 days, so it's entirely possible Tara wouldn't be able to get it for us in time, even with a solid roll, if we wanted to try to pull this off tonight.

If we buy it, the Team's advance will sit around 5K left and we need to keep enough there to get back across the border as well as any other incidentals. Just to let you all know where we stand.

ETA: Most vehicles are cheaper here, Grease might want to do some shopping here. Of course, we'd have to figure out how to get it across the border, but maybe once we get permits and stuff for the CAS, you can do that after this run wraps up.
Lobo0705
I'm doing some overtime tonight, so I will probably end up posting an IC response later on to Mel, and OOC responses to Grease's questions (including all the pertinent die rolls).

@Jack,

I'm assuming that you aren't going to ask Tara for the Linguasoft unless you get an approval from Chrome and Mel as well?

I'm also pretty sure I ruled on this already (although it could be my imagination), that the COLA adjustment doesn't increase the base time - you use the price in the book for that.

So the time would be based on the book amount of 1,000 for a R1, but would cost you 2750.

Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 07:22 PM) *
@Jack,

I'm assuming that you aren't going to ask Tara for the Linguasoft unless you get an approval from Chrome and Mel as well?

I'm also pretty sure I ruled on this already (although it could be my imagination), that the COLA adjustment doesn't increase the base time - you use the price in the book for that.

So the time would be based on the book amount of 1,000 for a R1, but would cost you 2750.

Chrome seemed okay with it, so I'm probably going to ask for an R1 since there are at least 3 of us in favor of it.

I was going to ask about the COLA deal, but then I thought it didn't matter. Now, I realize that the table has a typo. Funny no one has mentioned it yet on the forums. The 1 day interval ends at 1,000 and the 2 day interval begins at 1,000. I think it's pretty obvious that it's supposed to be 1,001 and mirror the rest of the table. Still, even with a solid roll, it's probably going to be 4-6 hours from now. I think I'll still go for it.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 07:53 PM) *
It's due to the COLA. Lobo posted a CAS COLA with the adjustments (2.75 for Programs). Linguas have an availability of 2 so the other issue is getting it in time. The base time is going to be 2 days, so it's entirely possible Tara wouldn't be able to get it for us in time, even with a solid roll, if we wanted to try to pull this off tonight.

If we buy it, the Team's advance will sit around 5K left and we need to keep enough there to get back across the border as well as any other incidentals. Just to let you all know where we stand.

ETA: Most vehicles are cheaper here, Grease might want to do some shopping here. Of course, we'd have to figure out how to get it across the border, but maybe once we get permits and stuff for the CAS, you can do that after this run wraps up.

I think a priority for my next paycheck is to get some licenses that would allow me to cross the border with our gear. Cyberware at minimum, at least.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Dec 1 2014, 08:28 PM) *
Chrome seemed okay with it, so I'm probably going to ask for an R1 since there are at least 3 of us in favor of it.

I was going to ask about the COLA deal, but then I thought it didn't matter. Now, I realize that the table has a typo. Funny no one has mentioned it yet on the forums. The 1 day interval ends at 1,000 and the 2 day interval begins at 1,000. I think it's pretty obvious that it's supposed to be 1,001 and mirror the rest of the table. Still, even with a solid roll, it's probably going to be 4-6 hours from now. I think I'll still go for it.

Unless we get an official answer otherwise, we'll assume the 2 day interval should begin at 1,001.

I'll also add a response from Tara IC later on tonight .
Chrome Head
Oh yes, I've given my approval already. I think it's a good idea to get the soft, even though we'll probably be okay without it. I just think that we can get very valuable information by understanding what they'll say to each other.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Dec 1 2014, 07:02 PM) *
ETA2: IC post is up. Same goals as what I stated previously; pressing the locals for information on the list of stuff I was interested in. If you need to, feel free to post IC back and forth between them and Grease. Alternatively, if you want to just post OOC here what we find out, and have Grease have a conversation "off stage", that's fine by me too! I'm easy. cyber.gif

I'm sorry, Dr.Z - I should have asked this before - are you spreading any 'yen around?

Lobo0705
@Mel,

There are literally hundreds of icons located in the host. Can you give me a little bit more of an idea as to what you are looking for?

Lobo0705
@Jack,

Ok, so Invisible Castle is down, so I'll roll offline:

Mapsoft - 4 dice, 2 hits

Tara rolls - 12 dice - 5 hits, so 2 hours and 275 nuyen.gif

Linguasoft - 2 dice, 0 hits

Tara rolls - 12 dice 4 hits, so 6 hours and 2750 nuyen.gif
DrZaius
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 10:12 PM) *
I'm sorry, Dr.Z - I should have asked this before - are you spreading any 'yen around?

Sure, Grease would buy a round or two, maybe tip someone who seemed to have a decent scoop. Let me know if you need a budget, otherwise figure a few hundred nuyen?
Jack VII
Incidentally, IC appears to have failed to renew their website registration. Given that some never received a registration response when we started the game, I wonder if they are ever going to get back up.

If not there, is orokos.com It's pretty powerful. I feel like it rolls high though, LOL

<Sigh> On the linguasoft. If we really need it, it looks like we're going to have to wait to do the job unless we get everything setup and ready to go by 4AM or so.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Dec 1 2014, 10:36 PM) *
Sure, Grease would buy a round or two, maybe tip someone who seemed to have a decent scoop. Let me know if you need a budget, otherwise figure a few hundred nuyen?

That should be plenty - we'll take 200 nuyen.gif out of your funds.

First up, I'll make an Etiquette test to see how much they like you: (IC is still down)

You: 4 hits
Them: 3 hits

So they accept you smile.gif

Next up is the actual information you receive - mind you, none of these people are actual contacts, so the information you receive will be limited, and may in fact be wrong (not that they are deliberately misleading you, but they might not know what the hell they are talking about.)

1) The Triads:

a) There is a dispute between the Golden Triangle and the White Lotus, and the violence is continuing to escalate.
b) The Triads are expanding their reach in BTL distribution, as well as drugs, using their "contracted" T-bird jammers to run the product. This has put them directly into conflict with the BBs.
c) The peace between the Triads and the Humanis has broken down, look out for Alamos 20K members to appear in force back in Chinatown in the next couple weeks.

2) The Target (the guy, not the stuff)

a) Chen Huiquing? Never heard of him.
b) He's a high ranking member of the White Lotus triad
c) I hear he got caught in a sting, and is looking to turn evidence over to the Tin Men for immunity.

3) Any Street Rumors in the CAS, goings on, etc.

a) Getting harder and harder to find a Tin Man on the take with the new Sector Manager Bianca Cuthbertson.
b) The owner of Rock Solid used to be a runner who went by the handle Black Heart - hear she had a dustup with some Yaks not too long ago.
c) If you are new in the area, stay away from the old Tech Center - its a breeding ground for Ghouls and other unsavory types.
Melpomene
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Dec 1 2014, 10:16 PM) *
@Mel,

There are literally hundreds of icons located in the host. Can you give me a little bit more of an idea as to what you are looking for?

Obviously, the host is determining what the icons look like here, correct? So do they basically correspond visually to function? In other words, if I see a guard, can I assume that it's probably IC, or do I have to roll Matrix Perception with every icon to determine its basic identity?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012