Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nothing's Free in the Free Zone (OOC)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37
Lobo0705
@Chrome - glad you're back! Happy to hear you are feeling better smile.gif

@Mel- ok so first disarm the data bomb:

Software + Intuition + Hot Sim (Disarming a Data Bomb is a Firewall action, and so you don't have to Run Silent yet) = 9 Dice

9d6.hits(5)=2

It rolls to resist
6d6.hits(5)=1

You successfully disarm it smile.gif

Not to crack it.

Hacking+Logic +Hot Sim (14 dice) -2 for Run Silent, -4 for using Sleaze to Crack File +5 for Edge=13 dice
13d6.hits(5)=9

WOW eek.gif

And now rerolling the five 6's
5d6.hits(5)=0

Not so good there frown.gif

However, no need to roll, as the Data File only had 4 points of Encryption, so even if I rolled 8 hits, you still decrypted it!

Now, you performed a Sleaze Action, so let's see if the Patrol IC spots you:

6d6.hits(5)=3

You resist
Logic+Sleaze+1 for Stealth=13 dice
13d6.hits(5)=8

Well then, Mr. Invisible eek.gif

So, now you just have to copy the file, which is an Edit File action:

Comp+Logic (Hot Sim and Run Silent cancel out)
12d6.hits(5)=6

It resists
9d6.hits(5)=5

So you successfully copy the file.

Up to you what you want to do next - and I'll put up an IC post in the morning.
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 22 2014, 12:36 AM) *
So, now you just have to copy the file, which is an Edit File action:

Comp+Logic (Hot Sim and Run Silent cancel out)
12d6.hits(5)=6

It resists
9d6.hits(5)=5

So you successfully copy the file.

Thank goodness you were running that Edit Program!
Melpomene
A highly successful venture! smile.gif

Onyx had mentioned possibly other paydata files, so she's going to poke around a little more, taking a moment (and action) to check her GOD score.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 21 2014, 08:23 PM) *
All right, I'm back!

I've had a rough couple of weeks, but things are going back to normal for me, and the holiday next week is very welcome.

I'll read through all I've missed (basically everything in run 2 so far...) over the weekend. Can't wait to see what's going on smile.gif

It seems a good time to note I'll be traveling for the holidays, so I'll have limited access to email. Figure Wednesday afternoon til next Monday will be spotty (I'm sure others won't be obsessively checking in on Thanksgiving either cyber.gif )
Lobo0705
@Dr. Z,

Understand about the holidays smile.gif

@Mel,

You did not roll enough hits on your test to beat GOD's roll, so you are unaware of your OS at this time.

What type of information will you be looking for when you are looking for paydata?
Melpomene
Well, as was mentioned IC, there's very little organization to the filing here, correct? Is there any way to rifle through the files here looking at the equivalent of folder tabs? Either that or look for files that are encrypted, or are they all encrypted?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 22 2014, 01:59 PM) *
Well, as was mentioned IC, there's very little organization to the filing here, correct? Is there any way to rifle through the files here looking at the equivalent of folder tabs? Either that or look for files that are encrypted, or are they all encrypted?

Easy enough for you to look for encrypted files

Matrix Search
11d6.hits(5)=1

Wow - barely made it eek.gif

You pull up 3 more encrypted files. Each has a reference number which is meaningless to you. We'll call them file 1, 2, and 3.

Same process as before? Matrix Perception, then if there is a Data Bomb disarm it, then crack the file using Sleaze? Any thoughts on using edge? Also, which one to you start with?
Melpomene
Same process as before, except no Edge before the roll. Start with File 3.
Lobo0705
Ok, so

Matrix Perception
15d6.hits(5)=2

This file also has a data bomb and is encrypted.

Disarm data bomb
7d6.hits(5)=4

It resists
6d6.hits(5)=0

Success smile.gif

Now to put a mark on the file
12d6.hits(5)=4

It resists
9d6.hits(5)=3

So you successfully Mark it, Patrol IC can try and spot you
6d6.hits(5)=0

Okay then, no worries there, now to Crack it (harder this time without Edge)
Hacking+Logic +Hot Sim (14 dice) -2 for Run Silent, -4 for using Sleaze to Crack File=8 dice
8d6.hits(5)=3

It resists
8d6.hits(5)=2

But you are successful!

The Patrol IC looks for you again:
6d6.hits(5)=4

You resist
13d6.hits(5)=4

Phew - it barely misses noticing you smile.gif

Now to Copy the file
12d6.hits(5)=4

It resists
9d6.hits(5)=2

You download the file to the deck - care to push your luck for another one?
Melpomene
As much as I'd love to press my luck, I think I'll finish up and travel back to Ascension.
Chrome Head
All right. I think I'm pretty much up to date on what is going on.

1) Amy's fake SIN: She has no experience in that business and would trust Chapel or his contacts to come up with a good fake story that's close enough to who she really is that it would work in most cases, especially including shamanic magic into the mix since she has a UCAS licence for it and it's pretty important. Illusionist isn't far-fetched. Someone working with charities definitely works too.

2) Plan to cross the border: I think that Snap would rather pay the coyote and cross that way every time. Overall, it seems like a less risky proposal and we can bring more of the stuff we want. However, she's not really there to weigh in anymore.

3) When to go in: I agree we should wait until we have more information, but Amy would definitely lean towards going that evening.

4) To kill or not to kill: a secondary objective. I wouldn't go out of my way to complete it. The money's good, especially if he was in our way to begin with, but on the other hand we have a reputation to build for ourselves.

5) Snap's current actions: Making sure Sam has a place to stay for the next 48 hours.
DrZaius
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 23 2014, 11:33 AM) *
All right. I think I'm pretty much up to date on what is going on.

1) Amy's fake SIN: She has no experience in that business and would trust Chapel or his contacts to come up with a good fake story that's close enough to who she really is that it would work in most cases, especially including shamanic magic into the mix since she has a UCAS licence for it and it's pretty important. Illusionist isn't far-fetched. Someone working with charities definitely works too.

2) Plan to cross the border: I think that Snap would rather pay the coyote and cross that way every time. Overall, it seems like a less risky proposal and we can bring more of the stuff we want. However, she's not really there to weigh in anymore.

3) When to go in: I agree we should wait until we have more information, but Amy would definitely lean towards going that evening.

4) To kill or not to kill: a secondary objective. I wouldn't go out of my way to complete it. The money's good, especially if he was in our way to begin with, but on the other hand we have a reputation to build for ourselves.

5) Snap's current actions: Making sure Sam has a place to stay for the next 48 hours.

Sounds good. I had imagined that Grease was calling into Ascension while taking Amy to see Sam. If everyone else thought he hadn't left yet, that's fine too.

On my end, I would ask Onyx if it was alright to bring a drone along as well.

I'd also like us to figure out how we're going to get around the CAS zone while we're there. We stole a truck before, we could consider something like that.
-DrZ
Jack VII
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 23 2014, 03:32 PM) *
Sounds good. I had imagined that Grease was calling into Ascension while taking Amy to see Sam. If everyone else thought he hadn't left yet, that's fine too.

On my end, I would ask Onyx if it was alright to bring a drone along as well.

I'd also like us to figure out how we're going to get around the CAS zone while we're there. We stole a truck before, we could consider something like that.
-DrZ

I think I had thought Grease had left, but I can't remember. I don't think I made a reference to looking at him in AR. Then again, I hadn't really planned to stay at McCormick's, but Mel wanted to go in Cold-Sim, so I wanted to stick around to guard her.

As far as wheels, I still think that, given the way Denver is set up, there is probably a reasonably high chance of fixer rental type programs for certain classes of gear. The borders present too much of a challenge to get stuff in or out to not have something to that effect. That or almost all runner teams are hired to do jobs within their own sectors, but we weren't... so that doesn't seem to be the case.
Lobo0705
@Mel,

I'll get you the contents of that second file later tonight or tomorrow.

@Dr. Z and Chrome,

My assumption was that Grease dropped off Snap and was attending in AR as he was continuing his business. Mel and Jack are at Ascension.

@Jack,

There isn't a rental agency, the risk would be too high, and since none of it is legal, you can't get insurance on the gear, so if the runners wrecked it or stole it, they would be out of luck. What you are probably going to have to look for is someone to put you in touch with a rigger, someone who would work for a couple thousand nuyen and bring his own vehicle.

I think at this point the ball is back in your courts - and once I know when you are planning on crossing, Onyx will give you the location for the meet.
Melpomene
@Lobo,

I understand...there's a Giants game that needs to be watched. smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 23 2014, 07:04 PM) *
@Lobo,

I understand...there's a Giants game that needs to be watched. smile.gif

@Lobo: I hope you appreciate the gift that one of my Alma Maters has provided to your team in the form of Odell... he was so fun to watch when he was playing at LSU.

I wasn't thinking of a real rental agency. But something where they cleared boosted junkers for quick nuyen before chopping it. Lots of money upfront, deposit only returned if the vehicle was in decent working order on return before it went to a chop shop. But if that doesn't exist in light of the operating environment, I'm good. How Grease would feel about relying on another rigger however... biggrin.gif
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 23 2014, 10:44 PM) *
@Lobo: I hope you appreciate the gift that one of my Alma Maters has provided to your team in the form of Odell... he was so fun to watch when he was playing at LSU.

I wasn't thinking of a real rental agency. But something where they cleared boosted junkers for quick nuyen before chopping it. Lots of money upfront, deposit only returned if the vehicle was in decent working order on return before it went to a chop shop. But if that doesn't exist in light of the operating environment, I'm good. How Grease would feel about relying on another rigger however... biggrin.gif

Oh I do, and my Fantasy team appreciates him to the tune of 38 points last night smile.gif And did you SEE that catch last night? Almost makes it okay that they lost, except that it was to the Cowboys frown.gif

But I digress...

And I know you weren't talking about something like Hertz lol. It is certainly something you can ask about, I'm not sure if something like that would exist, but you can try and find one. Personally I just think it is more likely you can find a rigger or some other wheel-man you can pay for a night's work.

So I think at this point we should be looking for:

1) Those of you with Onyx to determine a time for the pickup and pay the fee (2,500 for the trip over, and 500 up front for the trip back), and then for him to give you the time and place to meet.

2) Snap to post something IC about what she does with Sam and Kevin

3) Grease, Jack, and Mel to post what they do to prepare for the meet, then I can transition you over there. (assuming there is nothing else you need me to adjudicate).
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 24 2014, 07:02 AM) *
Grease, Jack, and Mel to post what they do to prepare for the meet, then I can transition you over there. (assuming there is nothing else you need me to adjudicate).

If we're good with the price, I have the credstick, so I can slot and pay Onyx now. With that said, before we setup a meet, we really need to arrange for a rigger in the CAS sector before we get there so we're not cooling our heels trying to figure it out with a bag full of guns and stuff at our feet.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 24 2014, 09:38 AM) *
If we're good with the price, I have the credstick, so I can slot and pay Onyx now. With that said, before we setup a meet, we really need to arrange for a rigger in the CAS sector before we get there so we're not cooling our heels trying to figure it out with a bag full of guns and stuff at our feet.

Sounds like someone should call Stone smile.gif
Jack VII
I'll get something up IC to move us forward.

I did see it. He and Brandon LeFell did that a few times at LSU and it was always amazing. I thought it was pretty funny that they showed him practicing one-hands before he actually made that catch.
Lobo0705
Mel,

Here is the other file:

<< Ivo, here are the security protocols and schematics the team you are inserting provided. Be careful, these guys are no joke, but neither is security at this place, especially now. You are to meet Cherry and her team at the attached coordinates Sunday at 0200. ||File attached.>>

The file shows a schematic of a large building, some type of public venue, an arena or stadium and the coordinates for the pickup are in the CAS Zone.
Melpomene
@Lobo,

remind me...what day is today IC?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Melpomene @ Nov 24 2014, 12:11 PM) *
@Lobo,

remind me...what day is today IC?

Friday

ETA - to be clear (and I've edited the original post now), that is 0200 on Sunday, i.e. late Saturday night.
Chrome Head
@Lobo

So, realistically, who could Amy ask to take care of Sam? (Kevin takes care of himself on his own just fine)

It's going to be an ongoing issue, but it's not completely impossible to have a child stay somewhere (or have someone come over) for 48 to 72 hours once in while, right? Of course, Hubert could do it that one time, but maybe not if it becomes recurrent. Nic is a friend, but I don't think taking care of children is something he'll want to do every month.

I'm also curious about how much you think this should cost. I'm thinking that if it's more than just a babysitter for an evening, that it stops being covered by the lifestyle.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 24 2014, 04:50 PM) *
@Lobo

So, realistically, who could Amy ask to take care of Sam? (Kevin takes care of himself on his own just fine)

It's going to be an ongoing issue, but it's not completely impossible to have a child stay somewhere (or have someone come over) for 48 to 72 hours once in while, right? Of course, Hubert could do it that one time, but maybe not if it becomes recurrent. Nic is a friend, but I don't think taking care of children is something he'll want to do every month.

I'm also curious about how much you think this should cost. I'm thinking that if it's more than just a babysitter for an evening, that it stops being covered by the lifestyle.

It is a good question. I think that as you say, there should be a cost to it, in that it is a NQ. Now that you have a SIN for both you and Sam, then you can actually hire a babysitting service, since you aren't illegal. I think that 10 nuyen.gif an hour is probably about right for waking hours, dropping that to about half that for sleeping hours. (For someone's Sam's age, I think it is probably appropriate to figure about 10 or 11 hours of sleeping per day.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 24 2014, 05:15 PM) *
Now that you have a SIN for both you and Sam

Except that I ... don't? I didn't have enough money after the first run to get a SIN for Sam as well.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 24 2014, 05:59 PM) *
Except that I ... don't? I didn't have enough money after the first run to get a SIN for Sam as well.

Ah. Er.. Whoops frown.gif

I thought you had bought it, my apologies.

So, the problem is going to be one of accessibility. From a realistic point of view, you've just moved into this place less a month ago, what are the odds you've been friendly enough with your neighbors / you have neighbors friendly enough to watch Sam?

I think that for now, what makes the most sense is that you lean on either Nic or Hubert again, and make sure you pay them well at the end of the run for such late notice, and at the end of this one, purchase a fake SIN for Sam, allowing her access to school and professional babysitting services.

Does that sound fair?
DrZaius
Threw up an IC post. Will try to check back tomorrow morning.

If I'm holding stuff up with my new posting schedule feel free to NPC me to move stuff forward; I don't want the game to come to a halt just because I have to post in the evening now. I'd prefer to keep the game moving and make 1 good, thoughtful post a day rather than post Grease nodding just to keep the page turning.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 24 2014, 10:35 PM) *
Threw up an IC post. Will try to check back tomorrow morning.

If I'm holding stuff up with my new posting schedule feel free to NPC me to move stuff forward; I don't want the game to come to a halt just because I have to post in the evening now. I'd prefer to keep the game moving and make 1 good, thoughtful post a day rather than post Grease nodding just to keep the page turning.

Ok fair enough - I think that we can do that for you no problem smile.gif
Jack VII
I don't remember if I actually have the suppressor from the AK or not. I don't remember if Grease ever ripped the gas-vents out of the AK Overkill was using (that came from Rhex). If Grease has the suppressor, that's fine. Just let me know and I'll edit my post.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 12:13 AM) *
I don't remember if I actually have the suppressor from the AK or not. I don't remember if Grease ever ripped the gas-vents out of the AK Overkill was using (that came from Rhex). If Grease has the suppressor, that's fine. Just let me know and I'll edit my post.

I'm going to make an executive decision and say you have the suppressor smile.gif
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 24 2014, 11:23 PM) *
I'm going to make an executive decision and say you have the suppressor smile.gif

I actually don't need it. I can't use it with any of the weapons I have, but I don't know what Mel's bringing, so I guess it pays to be prepared.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 01:08 AM) *
I actually don't need it. I can't use it with any of the weapons I have, but I don't know what Mel's bringing, so I guess it pays to be prepared.

I updated the documents to include Stone, Tara, and O'Roarke's.

The information provided is basically what you would find with a quick Matrix Search.
Lobo0705
Ok - here is my thought as to where we are:

Jack and Mel have gone home and packed their stuff.

Grease and Snap need to do so as well.

Then all 4 need to meet up with the coyote at 2030

I'm going to assume that all four of you have completed everything that you need to do apart from gathering your stuff (and Snap visiting Hubert or Nic, probably Hubert).

I'm going to go ahead and post the meeting at the Coyote's at 2030 in the next hour or so, and then when Dr. Z and Chrome log in later, they can post their stuff they do at home, and I can paste it in to my post before the meeting.

Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 25 2014, 09:00 AM) *
I'm going to go ahead and post the meeting at the Coyote's at 2030 in the next hour or so, and then when Dr. Z and Chrome log in later, they can post their stuff they do at home, and I can paste it in to my post before the meeting.

So you want them to post it here in the OOC thread?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 10:06 AM) *
So you want them to post it here in the OOC thread?

That was my thought smile.gif
Lobo0705
@Jack,

Do you want Grease to arrange for anything other than a ride?

Mel and Chrome - do you guys want anything?
Jack VII
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 25 2014, 11:59 AM) *
@Jack,

I think just wheels for now. Oh wait, we do need to get the cases. I could try to tap Tara for those, I'm not really sure. I am going to try to meet with her and see about getting a Mandarin Linguasoft before we head to Chinatown. If the information on the bar is accurate, we also might be able to pick up some intel about what's going on around the CAS sector shadows since the place is supposedly a shadowrunner hangout.

Beyond that, I don't think we're going to really have much of an idea until we get more intel on the ground.
Melpomene
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 25 2014, 12:59 PM) *
@Jack,

Not at this point, no.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Lobo0705 @ Nov 24 2014, 10:01 PM) *
Ah. Er.. Whoops frown.gif

I thought you had bought it, my apologies.

So, the problem is going to be one of accessibility. From a realistic point of view, you've just moved into this place less a month ago, what are the odds you've been friendly enough with your neighbors / you have neighbors friendly enough to watch Sam?

I think that for now, what makes the most sense is that you lean on either Nic or Hubert again, and make sure you pay them well at the end of the run for such late notice, and at the end of this one, purchase a fake SIN for Sam, allowing her access to school and professional babysitting services.

Does that sound fair?

Very. I think it makes a lot of sense. I'll have Sam stay at Hubert, and Kevin already knows that he can go to Nic if he wants to.

ETA: Finished reading OOC, will post here what Amy does at home.
Chrome Head
Amy goes back home earlier than expected. She thanks and pays the babysitter and when she's gone, has a talk with Sam.

"Okay so you probably guessed it by now. I'm going to have some work to do again for the next few days. It won't take as long as last time, far from it, I promise, but you'll have to stay at Hubert's until I'm done, okay?"

"I understand, Aunt Amy."

It was still surprising to Amy how Sam could be just a kid who wants to play one minute, and the next minute be this serious, understanding, mature-sounding person. One always wonders if this seriousness comes from imitation or actual maturity. Not having an answer to this, Amy just smiled to her adoptive daughter.

"You're a really good girl, you know that, right?"

Amy then called her old mentor, again asking for a favor. Thankfully, Hubert was okay with taking care of Sam even as soon as this evening, after Amy assured him that it would only be for 2, maybe 3 days, tops. This man is too good to me, I wish I could do more for him...

Preparing for the run was simple enough for Amy. Everything she could possibly need was already in a small bag, and she just took off her armor vest for a more protective armor jacket.

After calling Turbine again, she hopped in with Sam. Telling him to put music on sadly didn't help in stopping his never ending chatter. He just went on and on about how Sam made him think of all of his nephews and nieces -- how many did he have exactly?

After dropping off Sam at Hubert, Snap finally reached the rendez-vous, asking Turbine to drop her a several blocks away, and she just walked the rest of the way.
Lobo0705
@Chrome,

Excellent smile.gif

@Grease,

So, Grease will attempt to barter for transportation. My guess is you want something big enough for the four of you plus the artifacts and Rhex, so you are looking at the proverbial rigger with a van smile.gif

As discussed out of character before, you aren't going to be able to get a vehicle without buying one, but Stone can set up up with a driver, figure he base price for a night's work on no notice would be 1,000 nuyen.gif - that will the driver's time, fuel, etc for a day. (Remember that part of that 1,000 is Stone's cut).

Grease will I'm sure attempt negotiate that price downward.

Grease:
Cha 6+ Neg 5, -1 for Annoying Result:
10d6.hits(5)=1

Yikes

Stone (who is not nearly as smooth a negotiator as Chapel)
10d6.hits(5)=3

Ok - so, and I'm assuming that Grease isn't going to use Edge to avoid a 100 nuyen.gif bump in price - that means that they will settle on 1,100 nuyen.gif for the fee.

Bear in mind that the money involved is strictly for no-questions-asked transportation. it isn't for combat pay.

I'll through up a quick post.

ETA - I edited my post to include Chrome's response.
Jack VII
Just a quick note, I believe Grease was chauffeuring Amy. He attended the meet in AR so he could go get his stuff at the same time.

I just need to know for the Resource Tracker.
Chrome Head
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 02:31 PM) *
Just a quick note, I believe Grease was chauffeuring Amy. He attended the meet in AR so he could go get his stuff at the same time.

I just need to know for the Resource Tracker.

Ah my bad, I wasn't sure anymore. This could be fixed by Lobo if he wants.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Chrome Head @ Nov 25 2014, 02:37 PM) *
Ah my bad, I wasn't sure anymore. This could be fixed by Lobo if he wants.

I'll fix it so that Grease is the one who drops you off and picks you up.
Jack VII
How much more are we getting charged to bring Rhex? I need to update the tracker with the new cost. I already applied the 1,100 for our transportation in the CAS.
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 03:03 PM) *
How much more are we getting charged to bring Rhex? I need to update the tracker with the new cost. I already applied the 1,100 for our transportation in the CAS.

It is 50 nuyen.gif for 100 kilos of "equipment" My guess is that Rhex probably weighs about half that, and then the other 50 kgs is for the rest of your equipment - so just another 50 nuyen.gif

Anything you guys want to react to, or should I post the next part of the journey?
Jack VII
Is he singing that damn "Magic Eyes" song by Elizah Starr?
Lobo0705
QUOTE (Jack VII @ Nov 25 2014, 03:13 PM) *
Is he singing that damn "Magic Eyes" song by Elizah Starr?

Lol - no - Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parson's Project
Jack VII
Cool. OK, I just posted a little flavor post.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012