Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Annex
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2040 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Melinda tentatively reaches out a hand for the glass, almost as if half expecting you to take it back. She takes a small sip and you think you hear a small sigh from her. "Thank you, Master."

She reaches out a hand to point at one of her holographic projections as the other hand moves quickly over the keys, seeming to barely touch them. Images scroll into view ans she points to them. "Master, these are projections of improvements to matrix security that I can put into effect here as your spider. Of course, I would need to set this up as a host for that to be really effective." She points at a different screen. "This is the type of improvements I can do if this is a host instead of just a place."

You might not be a trix wizard, but even you can see that the improvements are dramatic.
Sakuro
Annex looked from screen to screen, picking out things here and there that he understood. Looking for recognizable patterns that he could tie to quantifiable security benchmarks, as well as resource requirements. Perhaps he had a vague notion. The complexities of the matrix were as mysterious to him as Awakened magic in many ways. His brow furrowed thoughtfully. Annex has anticipated a Host being required to be effective. Both for security, and building a matrix presence for the Willow Tree. It would take so much weight off Melinda. But Willow seemed to have expressed an aversion to Hosts when he brought it up the first time. After reviewing the information Melinda showed him, and thinking for a a minute or so he looked back to the youth.

"What would you need both to set up a Host for the Willow Tree, and improve the matrix security without a Host?"

[ Spoiler ]
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2042 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

"I do not know what the requirements are for setting up a host at this time, Master, but I can look into it. I do feel that it will be expensive. An interim fix would be to tie the matrix presence to a good comlink or deck to get a decent firewall. I am sorry that I do not know the answers to your question, Master." Melinda scrunches in on herself again, as if waiting to be beaten for not satisfying your needs.
Sakuro
From his experience working with deckers in the field who needed to setup a temporary network, Melinda's suggestion is what he had anticipated. It was good to get confirmation, however. A slow single nod of acknowledgement followed Melinda's comments. When she scrunched up Annex's eye moved up and down the teenager's small frame, watching her compress defensively in anticipation of a blow that did not come.

"It is alright Melinda. You do not need to know everything right now. Look into the matter and inform me when your research bears fruit. I will extend your advise to Willow when we next talk. In the meantime, do what you can to shore up the Willow Tree's matrix vulnerabilities."

He took the time to take a drink then. While he did so Annex glanced to the screens Melinda had up, as well as the camera feeds from the security booth, and finally the crowd. All to maintain awareness of what was going on around him. After his swallowed down his mouthful of fruit juice the man's eyes were back on Melinda.

"We close around four in the morning. Since manpower is limited you will need to take working breaks. If you require anything to eat or drink let one of the waitresses know."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2043 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

"Yes, Master, I will work on that." Melinda raises her head again and her hands begin flashing over the keyboard of her deck. Twice while you are looking at the camera feeds that link to your booth, they shiver and shut down, only to appear again a second later
Sakuro
When he saw the change to the camera feeds Annex raised his free hand and extended it's index finger to point at one of the screens that had went down. He had a feeling it was due to Melinda's updating something. But he needed confirmation. Not assumption.

"What was the cause of that video feed disruption?"
Mercy

Her hands immediately stop and return to the table in front of her and her head lowers again. "I was shifting the feeds to go through my deck, Master. I am sorry if I was not supposed to do that. I can shift them back."
Sakuro
"That is fine. I wanted to make certain it was your doing. If anything you do is likely to effect security in a notable way, give me some forewarning so that I know it is you."

Annex leaned to the side after that, as if preparing to slip out of the booth and rise to his feet. But he pause, then settled back, straightening out once more. THough here head was tilted down, he looked at Melinda's face, gauging her reaction as he spoke to her again.

"Earlier you called me by name. Now you call me 'master'. What is the reason for this change?"
Mercy

She looks up at you this time. "I was not your servant until I was hired, Master. Now I belong to you and Mistress Willow."
Sakuro
Annex absorbed what Melinda said and mused over her rationalization. Was she conditioned that that trigger or had the young woman developed a form of dependency? After thinking on it for a short time he offered Melinda a small smile, the corners of his lips curving slightly upwards.

"Willow hired you as an employee. She did not buy a slave or indentured servant. No one owns you. If you desire to have a submissive relationship with someone, that is your choice and something you should discuss with them rather than assume."
Mercy

Melinda bows her head even more. "I do not know how else to behave, Master."
Sakuro
"Then know it is your choice. You are not forced to do so, nor will you be abused."

A pause was give, allowing Melinda to think on and absorb what he had said to her. Annex realized she might not trust the words, nor would established expectations vanish immediately. That usually took time. He also paid attention to what the youth had said. She didn't know how else to behavior. Relearning social norms was another thing that would take time. So he began small, offering something close to the familiar, but a bridge into the new. Like an armed guide into dangerous lands.

"You could call Willow 'ma'am' and me 'sir'. It is less overt than something like 'master', and will draw less attention, yet is still respectful."
Mercy

Melinda nods her head. "Yes, sir." Was that a trace of a smile?
Sakuro
Raising his free hand Annex gave Melinda a light pat on the shoulder. Then he slid out of the booth, rose to his feet, and without further comment walked away. He went back to his patrol of the room, leaving Melinda to her work. As he moved he drank his fruit juice until the glass he held was empty. At which time he handed the empty container off to a waitress ferry some soiled glasses back towards the bar.
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2143 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

As you walk around you see that the club is operating smoothly as can be expected for a Saturday night. Jameson contacts you just before 2200. >>Almost back. Do you want me to use the rear entrance?<<
Sakuro
The message was flagged by Annex's AR display. he brought it up with a thought. His eyes moved from left to right skimming over the line of text. The message was closed, a response composed and sent out.

>> Yes. Take the time to refresh yourself before we meet as well. Get something to eat or drink from the kitchen, if you like.<<
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2143 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

The response is terse and to the point. >>Roger. I am two minutes out. Is it open?<<
Sakuro
>>You will be let in. Knock once, then twice, and once again.<<

After sending the message to Jameson, Annex composed one for Sevras. In it he informed her that the mercenary would be arriving shortly, that he should be allowed entry, and told her of the knock-code he would use at the kitchen-to-alley door to alert her of his presence.
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2145 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

You get a short message from Sevras. >>Your man is in the kitchen. He is eating a sandwich.<<
Sakuro
Annex sent Sevras a brief acknowledgement. Afterwards another was sent to Jameson.

>>I will meet you in your room in ten minutes.<<

So it was that he continued to patrol the main room for another ten minutes. That should be enough time for refueling and a brief rest to sort himself if the other man needed it. After the elapsed time, Annex requested that the Sevras take his place in monitoring the room. Once she was in place Annex went upstairs to Jameson's quarters and knocked on the door.
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2155 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Sevras nods and moves out to the main room as you go up the stairs to the employee's rooms. As you approach the room assigned to Jameson, you smell the slight but distinctive odor of gun cleaning fluid. When you knock on the door, you hear the chair scrape on the floor. He opens the door for you to enter then returns to his seat at the table where you can see the disassembled parts of what looks very much like a Predator V, but it is certainly not a stock version.

Jameson motions with a hand for you to take the other chair as he continues to work on his pistol.
Sakuro
Stepping inside the small room Annex closed and locked the door behind himself. Then he approached the table, where he proceeded to lift the chair across from Jameson a inch or so from the ground so that it did not scrap the floor before pulling it out a suitable distance. He turned it about forty-five degrees before setting it down again, so that when he sat in it he was at an angle from the table. It was a subtle thing he often did with movable seating, reducing his profile when sitting across from someone. Annex took a moment to survey work done with the disassembled weapon for a handful of seconds before finally speaking.

"What were you able to find out?"
Mercy

The man looks up even as his fingers continue their deft movements with the pieces of the pistol. "I got in to talk to the distributor. He did not want to talk at first but eventually told me that his hands are tied. The distributor upstream of him is putting pressure on him to cut back shipments to certain, specific customers. Apparently a lot of pressure.............well beyond that of shorting his shipments. I am talking about the sort that involves accidents to employees at their homes and problems with vehicles. That sort of thing. Apparently, the distributor has been told that he needs to further restrict his deliveries in the coming weeks, eventually leading to a complete stoppage. He claims to not know why this is happening, but I smell a land grab by his supplier."
Sakuro
As he listened, natural curiosity made him wonder what was noteworthy about the customers, or their property, that were being targeted. Knowing an opponent's motive was useful, but at the same time getting distracted by the superfluous pulled attention away from the objective. Jameson's observations and theories caused Annex to reflect on something he had mentioned earlier, something he thought was acting as eyes for a syndicate had been thought to be keeping tabs on the neighborhood. He was quiet, considering what had been said for a time even after Jameson had finished speaking. But not too long.

"Did you learn anything about the person applying this pressure?"
Mercy

Jameson nods as he puts aside one of the pieces of his pistol and picks up another to start cleaning it. "Yes, I did. Guerrido Juarez is the man. He runs the warehouse and distribution center where Robert Goodall, Willow's source, gets the food and other supplies. Do you want me to go see him?"
Sakuro
"Not immediately, unless you think you can do so and be ready for Sunday. Tomorrow we are going to deal with the Smoking Guns. Samantha and perhaps another member of the community will be joining us for a pre-op strategy session here at the Willow Tree around twelve hundred hours."

Annex did not know the distances involved. Perhaps Jameson could head out and be back in time. He waited a beat to see how the other man responded, giving him the opportunity to comment on the topic before he went on to add another couple of questions.

"What do you know about Guerrido? You mentioned he was strong-arming Robert. Do you believe he has his own enforcers or, instead, a connection to someone else who does?"
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2156 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

jameson shakes his head. "No, better not try that if we have a meeting at noon."

He shakes his head again at your follow on question. "I know nothing for sure yet about this Guerrido. All of the enforcers that Goodall has seen are Korean, though, so there could be a ling to a Seoulpa ring.
Sakuro
Annex's brow furrowed. He had hoped this would be a simple matter. Not an organized effort, potentially backed by a people with actual influence in the criminal world. It was looking that way though. If that were the case, and they were serious about it as they appeared to be, simply finding a new supplier would not do in the long run. They would likely get leaned on as well, unless they were protected. He silently brooded on the matter before speaking again.

"Give Goodall a call and get him to forward you some images of the Korean enforcers, if he has any. It would be good to see whether we can connect them to a Seoulpa ring or not. It may also be useful to know which customers Guerrido wants starved out."

The way he spoke had a summation to it. A tone that began to draw the meeting to a close with direction being given to further progress on the issue. But before he got up and made his exit Annex took the time to give Jameson the chance to add to the topic.

"Is there anything else you found out, or feel needs to be said?"
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2157 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jameson nods. "Yeah, there is. Goodall is not a friend. He is scared and he may not want to give pictures if something might come back on him. I can ask, but do not expect miracles there. I know a couple of people but did not want to contact them over this unless you want me to."
Sakuro
His head rocked down and then back up in a singular nod of understanding when Jameson underlined Goodall's position and how likely, or unlikely, he was to take any risks in sharing information.

""See what you can get from Goodall. As for your contacts, I will not ask you to make use of them at this time. There are sources I may be able to tap, but I require something for them to follow up on such as faces or names."

With that Annex shifted his weight forward and rose to a stand. Using his left hand to grasped hold of the back of the chair he had been using, realigned it to face the table straight on one more, and lift it back into place with the seat tucked under the table.

""I appreciate your willingness to conceal you presence at the Willow Tree until we act against the Smoking Guns. If you need something to eat or drink, contact Mike at the bar. He can arrange for something to be brought to you."

While he spoke he looked at Jameson, and for a brief pause afterwards to allow the other make to speak up if he felt a need to interject something. Otherwise Annex turned and made his way out the door.
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2159 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jameson nods but does not say more. He is apparently a man of few words.

The walls of the place are not soundproof and you can hear the music from downstairs even from inside the room, but it is certainly louder when you go out into the corridor and head for the stairs.
Sakuro
Annex descended the stairs to the ground floor and into the mouth of madness once more. At the base of the stairs he paused to survey the sex den, it's staff, and patrons. His first task was to find Willow. He waited until she was not occupied with a customer before approaching the woman. When he spoke he positioned himself close enough to her so that he would not have to raise his voice to be heard over the music.

""I have some updates, if you would like to hear them. Someplace private, such as your office."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2204 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

The place is indeed quite busy and it takes a few minutes to locate Willow. At your words, she nods silently and motions for you to follow her. Once in her office, she sits down on the sofa off to one side and stretches her legs out in front of her while pointing to the chair opposite her. "Ahhh, that feels good. Must be getting old...........used to be I could go all night before needing to sit down. So. Updates?"
Sakuro
Annex entered the office after Willow. Before advancing further into the room he closed and locked the door. When the chair was indicated for him to make use of Annex walked over to it and adjusted the piece of furniture at a slight angle so that he face both Willow and the door without having to turn himself. Then, he sat down and began the fist segment of update.

"Melinda has arranged to bolster the Willow Tree's matrix security with her deck. This ties up her personal property, however. She is also looking into ways to cultivate a Host. In the meantime a comlink with a quality firewall could be used for matrix defense, as we discussed earlier."

He paused at that point. There was more he had to say, but he held off, allowing Willow to speak or inquire as she would.
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2207 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Willow nods. "So how much are we looking at, Oliver, for this special 'link? I know it is important, but we need to watch the finances, too."
Sakuro
Even before he spoke Annex considered Willow's godmother. If she wanted to secretly back the advancement of the Willow Tree's matrix security money might not be as much of an issue as Willow thought. It was something he could make the older woman aware of. In either case, he felt it better to give Willow a realistic number, and operate without the expectation of Ni Ni Xiaolu's patronage. Anything beyond this could then be a pleasant surprise.

"I would estimate it will cost around three thousand nuyen. That is on the low end, with the minimum security specifications that I would advise."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2207 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

"Three thousand? That does not sound unreasonable. But that is for the minimum, you said? What is it for better and can you get it?"
Sakuro
"For a top tier comlink, or near to it, you are looking at an investment of eight thousand nuyen or more. Something of that quality may not be easy to come by. There are people I can reach out to though."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2208 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Willow motions out to the main room. "A few more nights like last night or tonight and I could maybe spring for a better one. But these nights are a bit out of the norm for this place. I did take on one new hire, though, and I have advertised for two more, so maybe..............."

She nods her head. "OK. Do you recommend getting the lesser one now or waiting a few days to see if we can scrape together enough to get an even better device?"
Sakuro
Annex did not have to think on his response. He already had. The reply he gave did not come out rushed though. He spoke in the same mild mannered way he normally did.

"I recommend waiting. There is also Monday's investment opportunity to bear in mind. You will want a sizable amount of money on hand if you wish to take advantage of it."

There was a pause to allow Willow to absorb what he had said, then Annex went on to add ...

"If you give me the go ahead, I will begin putting out feelers for something."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2208 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Willow nods. "OK. That makes sense. Thanks for the advice. And, yes, of course put out whatever feelers you like." She pauses a bit then leans forward. "Do you really think we could make a go of doing this on the matrix?"
Sakuro
"Sex sells. It is a driving force of civilization. Give people a way to buy it and they will."

He spoke as though what he said were a fact. Just as water was wet. Annex proceeded at an even timbre, confident in what he said was right, but neither rash nor bold.

"That said, starting slow is advisable. It will be a challenge to replace the matrix infrastructure that a Host provides with a human. Melinda has the technical knowledge to do this, but admits never having done something like it before. Let her set the pace of development. There is also additional equipment that will be required. Direct neural interfaces for your sex workers. If you want to create and sell your own pornographic media, recording devices for trideo or simsense will be needed as well. Of those things, only the semsense recorder should be costly or difficult to get ahold of."

A brief pause followed, after which he raised his left hand to indicate the door, or rather the people beyond it.

"Have you spoken with any of your customers on the topic or the performers themselves?"
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2211 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Willow nods at your comments, seeming to understand them, until you get to the last one. She looks puzzled. "I am afraid that I do not understand what you mean by that last bit, Oliver."
Sakuro
There was a brief quiet from Annex as he thought about his choice of words and how to rephrase the question so that it was more clear and easily understood.

"Have you asked to see how willing your employees are to undertake the venture, or used your existing customer base to gauge interest for taking your services to the matrix?"
Mercy

Willow smiles and blushes a bit. "Thanks. I am sorry that I did not understand. Yes, I have talked a bit about expanding and the girls are for it as long as it does not eat into their income too much. But if we can find a niche and expand, we might get more patrons and more money. I am just a bit concerned about my ability to run a business too much larger than what I have here already."
Sakuro
"Do not let anyone else hear you say that. Opposition will be emboldened by signs of weakness and followers will question the course you lead them on."

Annex spoke with a touch of steel in his voice. He could have said more. The monologist in him had already constructed a speech to give on the topic of leaders being bulwarks for their supporters. But he had already given a 'prostitution and trickle down economics' as well as an 'expand or die' speech recently. Willow probably did not need another speech. So he offered an ear to listen instead, his tone of voice becoming calm and mild. The flash of steel in it from earlier gone.

"What has you concerned?"
Mercy

Willow sits for a moment, twisting her hands together. "Crap, Oliver. All I really am is a small time stripper and prostitute who managed to not fall into the traps of drugs and BTLs and saved enough money to buy out the former owners of this place." She shakes her head and laughs softly. "You should have seen it then. What a dump! The owners were these three older women with no figures who were trying to make a go of it on the pole and failing plus one sort of cute kid who actually knew what she was doing when she wrangled a job from them. That was me. They were ready to retire and I gave them nearly every nuyen I had scrounged in the years before when I was stripping and fucking. They sold and left and I was now the owner of this place that had exactly one employee............me. I built it up from that to what it is now, and I am proud of what I have accomplished here. But what if this is the limit of what I am capable of managing? I do this and could let all these wonderful women down. I am really glad that came along when you did and even more glad that you advise taking it slow." She holds up a hand and it is trembling. "Frag, look at me. Scared to death."
Sakuro
Annex's eyes explored the tension points on Willow's face and body. Noted the wringing of her hand and later the shaking. He had underestimated how much the stress of these changes would effect her. That needed to be managed. All he had for her right now were words. Standing up he raised his left hand, encouraging Willow to do so as well.

"Caution is good, but you do not need to be scared Willow. You have the support of your employees. From what I have seen, they want to help you succeed. They understand that in helping you to achieve greater things, you are able to elevate them. This symbiosis can empower you because when you lead others you are greater than yourself. If you think on it, you may find that what you perceive as a limiting factor is merely unexploited potential. Should you find there is too much work for you to properly oversee, delegate some of it to an employ to help carry the burden while you broaden your view. Sometimes, that means promoting them to a managerial position. If you lack understanding, say in finances for example, educate yourself in the subject or seek someone who can fill that knowledge gap in your organization. Whether that be hiring someone, or supporting the education of an existing employee."

Lifting a hand he laid it upon Willow's shoulder and gripped it firmly. Not painfully, but enough to command attention with his touch.

"You need to stop thinking of yourself as a small time stripper and prostitute. You need to make yourself more than that in your mind's eye. Claiming otherwise is a discredit to all who follow you."
Mercy
Saturday 15 June 2075 2213 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Willow puts a hand up to touch the one of yours that you had put on her shoulder. Sighing, she nods. "Yes, you are right, of course. Thank you for the talk, Oliver, it really helps. How did you get to be so good at this sort of thing?"

She swivels about, still holding your hand. "Have you considered not moving on? What if I offered to make you a partner here? Would that be able to change your mind?"
Sakuro
The grip of the hand on Willow's shoulder gradually lessened. It pulled back, away from her, and came to rest at his side.

"I will give your offer some thought. In the meantime, there is more that I need to bring to your attention."

... Annex stated, drawing focus back to the reason they had come to Willow's office for a discussion. He gave her a moment to adjust, and prepare herself before continuing.

"Jameson has returned with some information on the supply issue. The shortage is purposeful. Your supplier is being pressured by his distributor to starve out specific businesses, and he's using Korean enforcers to apply that pressure."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012