Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Annex
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1006 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jameson nods but does not seem to have more to say.

Out in the main room, another girl has joined the poker players. Melinda is indeed at the booth, her hands flashing over her deck and her eyes on the various data holoscreeens she has up. Her hands fall to her sides and she lowers her head as you step around the screen.
Sakuro
"Morning."

Annex greeted. His eyes moved from Melinda to the streams of data that filled her screens. After making an effort to at least get a vague idea of what she had been doing, or looking at, he returned his attention to the youth herself.

"Some others and myself will be taking part in a dangerous task away from the Willow Tree later today. Would you be willing to remain on duty from my departure to my return? It would comfort me knowing people here are watched over in my absence."
Mercy

The data flowing across the screens is complex but does not seem to mean much of anything to your eyes.

Melinda keeps her head down but nods. "Yes, I can do that. Do I report to Willow while you are gone?"
Sakuro
"Thank you. I will speak with Grok on the topic as well. If he agrees to stay on duty, you will be reporting to him on security matters. Otherwise, Willow."

Annex paused for a sew seconds, quietly regarding the young woman. The last time he had seen Melinda was six hours ago, seated at the security booth. Not too differently from how she was now.

"Have you gotten any sleep?"
Mercy

The girl nods her head slightly. "Yes, Mas.....sir, I ate." Her head move slightly and she raises a hand to point to one of her displays. When you follow her movement, you see Grock approaching the external front door.
Sakuro
Annex noted Melinda' choice in words. She had eaten. There was no mention of sleep. It was entirely possible she was augmented with sleep regulators on top of her more obvious 'ware. In either case, he did not push the matter, only adding:

"I want to make sure you are not being worked too hard."

When Melinda pointed the camera feed of Grok's approach, Annex's eyes shifted to it.

"Thank you. You may return to your task."

He lingered at the security booth, but a discrete distance away so as not to loom over or crowd Melinda. He had turned to face the entrance Grok would be coming through as well. When the Orc entered he signaled him to come over.

"Are you going to be free later today? I am likely to be away on a dangerous task. If you can find the time, I would ask that you remain on duty in my absence."
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1007 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Melinda sits with her hands on the table until you give her permission to go back to her task then they begin flashing over the keys of the deck, bringing up different screens that come and go almost too fast to really get a good idea of what they are. One screen off to the right side of her collection of images remains almost completely stable and looks somewhat like a wide pile of bricks. The pile is only two bricks high in most places and there are some gaps in the lowest level.

Grok comes to you as requested and listens to what you ask. "Sure, Boss. Not much goes on here on Sundays so you want me to go with you instead?"
Sakuro
"Thank you. I want a martial presence at the Willow Tree in case of unforeseen events in my absence. Melinda has also agreed to remain on duty and will assist you."

Annex paused for a handful of seconds, allowing Grok to think on what he had said, but also providing a space for transitioning to a related back new topic.

"Do you know any street kids, or the like, who are good at going unnoticed and can keep their mouths shut? I would like to get some eyes on the Smoking Guns, so their movements can be tracked."
Mercy

Grok nods. "Sure, I know a couple of kids can do that. When do you need them?"
Sakuro
"They should be in place monitoring their targets by twelve hundred hours. So perhaps fifteen to twenty minutes before that. Depending on how fast you think they can track people down."

Annex looked thoughtfully towards the door for a few seconds, then back to Grok.

"Have you heard or noticed anything about the gang's actions? Their opposition was taken out yesterday. I am curious whether they have been bolder than normal."
Mercy

Grok nods. "I can try to get someone on it, but it does not give much time to set it up so could cost a bit extra. And, yeah, there was someone in the 'Shack just now that was saying as how quiet it is for now. The word out there is that the Guns are getting ready to make a move, but are a bit anxious after their hired gun disappeared."
Sakuro
"Do what you can. I am not inclined to rush, but if the delay is too long it may be too late for the information to be useful."

... came Annex's initial response, following Grok's comment's on the time constraints that were set before him. He then went quiet, listening to what the Orc had to say about the local gossip concerning the gang they were discussing. A moment was taken to consider this, and compare it to his own predictions before he came up with another query.

"What type of move would you think the Smoking Guns are preparing to make?"
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1008 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Grok grins at you. "Now that is a question, Boss. Could be almost anything, but it sure isn't getting ready to leave town, if you get my meaning. I expect that they are feeling pretty tough right now, what with being the only gang left, but my guess is that they will be coming after you and the Doc. You with your new ideas that are getting around, and the Doc because he is well respected."
Sakuro
Annex could be seen giving some thought to what Grok had said. There was more information there than what he had asked for: the comment about his ideas spreading enough to be considered a threat. After some brief introspection focus returned to his eyes, which were focused on the grinning orc doorman.

"Thank you for your input. Did you happen to see Jimmy at the Stuff Shack? Smart kid, I am told. Mops the floors."
Mercy

Grok nods. "Sure did, Boss. Jimmy's a real smart kid. He was putting up his cleaning stuff when I left. Said he would be right around after clocking out so should be here real soon, I expect."

Even as your security man is speaking, you get a flash indicating that Melinda is sending you a feed. Accessing it, you see Jimmy approaching the door, wiping his hands on a too-large sweatshirt.
Sakuro
When the signal flashes in his AR display Annex brought up the feed that Melinda sent over. Seeing the traits and features of a person described to him as fitting Jimmy he sent a brieft acknowledgement to Melinda, then closed the feed. After Grok finished speaking Annex gave a nod of acknowledgement that had a certain finality to it. He was done saying what he needed to.

"I will leave you to your task then. Should you finish getting things in order before twelve hundred hours comes along, there will be a strategy session held here that I would like you to take part in."
Mercy

Grok nods. "On it, Boss. I will see who I can round up quick-like. See ya later." He walks back out through the kitchen, headed for the rear door.
Sakuro
Annex waited for Grok to disappear into the kitchen before he made his way to the front door. As Jimmy had been closing in on it himself, he intended to meet him there. Once the young man made his presence known, he would be there to open the door and greet him.
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1009 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

You arrive at the front entrance just as Jimmy pushes the buzzer for entrance. The young man appears to be quite nervous as you let him in past you. He removes his cap and twists it in his hands. "Morning to you, Mister Oliver. I was told you wanted to see me?" You note that his eyes flicker past you to where the five girls are playing cards.
Sakuro
"Thank you for coming."

Annex regarded the youth in from of him for a couple seconds before turning to the side and allowing Jimmy to walk past him and walk ahead of him into the building. The door to the outside world was closed and locked, then he followed after Jimmy. Once they were left the transisioning room where the doorman was stationed and entered the establishment proper Annex maneuvered along side Jimmy, and walked at a casual pace towards the kitchen. Guiding their route with body language even as he studied the nervious young man glancing at the pretty women playing poker.

"There are a couple of things I wanted to talk with you about. Firstly, we are considering some additional security measures for the Willow Tree. Including external cameras allowing a greater visual coverage. Starting with something that covers the alley leading to the kitchen and cellar. If that is work that interests you, I would like your input as well as an appraisal that I can bring to Willow."
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1010 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jimmy walks with you, but can't seem to keep from looking at the scantily clad girls at the table, one of whom notices him and blows him a kiss. Jimmy reddens at that and hurries off with you to the kitchen. He seems to pull it together when you get him alone and listens to you, nodding. "Sure, I'm interested, Mister Oliver. I could do the work easy and even tie everything into your net, if it is good enough. you would have to show me what you want and I could research the costs of the equipment and give you a deal on the installation."
Sakuro
Annex stalked into the kitchen and stood in one of the more open areas, with his back to the wall, and his distance between the interior and exterior doors roughly equal. Though Jimmy had been distracted by the lovely ladies, Annex kept the conversation going at pace even if he gave the younger man a look meant to discouraged the younger man's attention from wondering afield. He listened to what Jimmy had to say in response to his proposal, nodding just once afterwards. Then moving to the door that lead out of the Willow Tree and into the alley. Opening it up he gesture for Jimmy to exit ahead of him.

"Let's take a walk around the perimeter and see what is needed then."

After Jimmy exited the kitchen, Annex looked outside, ahead of himself, and scanned the alleyway before departing from the building as well. Once outside, he closed the door. If there were any people lingering in the alley, they received a stare from Annex that suggested they should move along. From the outside he looked along the side of the building, spying windows and potential points of entry. Forced or otherwise. He pointed these out to Jimmy and began to move around the building directing him to others.

"Though I'd like to have as wide a coverage as possible, the cameras need to be concealed. Priority cover should be given to access points. Like the door and windows."
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1015 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

The young man seems to be all business once you get him away from the girls. He walks with you around the building and nods his head as you point out the places you are concerned about. "So, you want a good bit of coverage from as few platforms as possible to reduce costs. I have to say, Mister Oliver, that you have a good eye for what is needed, but remember that you get what you pay for. Still, you can start smaller and increase over time. I mean, almost anything back here would be an improvement, right? You can get some pretty good sensors in some pretty small packages that can be concealed easily enough. Do you have any idea what sort of sensors you are looking at? Visual and audio only, some sort of ultrasound or something to try to detect the sneaky sorts that might try to catch a free look? Something else?"
Sakuro
With the circuit of the Willow Tree's exterior having been made Annex lead Jimmy back to the kitchen door, talking as they went.

"Visual over entry points and motion sensors to fill the gaps elsewhere. This may be something that will be built up by degrees depending on cost and finances. Willow will have final say on budgetary allotments, but going forward you should consider the kitchen and cellar entries prioritized, with other access points being of secondary importance, and all else tertiary."

At the kitchen entrance he opened the door and motioned for Jimmy to enter ahead of him, then followed him back inside. The door was then locked behind him and annex maneuvered so that his back was facing neither the door to the alley, nor the one to the club floor.
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1030 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jimmy nods when you have him back in the kitchen. "I can do some work on this, Mister Oliver. How soon do you need something? I do still have my job at the "Shack to do, too."
Sakuro
"Once we have your estimate on the price, I would like the kitchen door and cellar coverage as soon as you are able to find the time. Otherwise, as long as you make consistent reasonable progress on the rest, I will not tie you to strict timeframe. You may speak with Melinda, the young woman stationed at the booth with the privacy screen, concerning tying the sensor suite into our existing network."

Annex pictured how the encounter between Melinda and Jimmy might go. It was amazingly awkward. An exchange that might very well require mediation. At least at first.

"I will introduce you, if you like. There are some other things I would like to discuss with you first."
Mercy

Jimmy nods. "Sure thing, Mister Oliver. I can get on it right away."

When you mention introducing him to Melinda, he nods. "Sure, that makes sense. I will need to work closely to whoever you got running security."
Sakuro
"Good."

... was Annex's response to both Jimmy's assurance that he would make haste in starting his research on estimate, and later the youth's acknowledgement concerning working closely with Melinda. He paused quietly studying Jimmy more intently the topic of his working with Melinda was made. The silent inspection of the other man's demeanor and body language ended as he started in on a new topic.

"There is some rumor that you have built a drone. Have you?"
Mercy

Jimmy nods. "Yes, sir, Mister Oliver. Sort of reverse engineered it from some pieces and parts I got from an old scrap guy who comes around every once in a while. It's not like the pros make, but it works good. I could do better with better tools and parts."
Sakuro
Annex listened to what his conversation partner had to say with his typical reserve. After Jimmy finished speaking he waited a little longer, as if expecting more to be said on the topic. When Jimmy did not continue Annex provided him another prompt to talk on the topic of his self crafted drone.

"Drones can be a worthwhile investment. What type is it that you have made? What have you done for autosoft?"
Mercy

Jimmy shakes his head. "Aww. It is all just the cheapest R1 stuff I could get. It's a little crawler thing, but I put a camera and mic in it just to see if I could. I think drones are really good and would help your security here, but they are spendier than normal sensor platforms."
Sakuro
"I was speaking in a larger sense. If the area were more stable, crime less likely, and the punishment of crime assured there could be good business for someone who knew how to make and repair drones."

Annex explained, while endeavoring to reinforce the idea of something greater than moping floors in the young man's mind coupled with the benefit of bringing stability to the area. Though there was a pause, after his comments to allow Jimmy to absorb what he had said, it was not a long one.

""What have you been using your drone for thus far?"
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1031 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Jimmy shrugs. "Not much, actually. I took it on the roof and let it crawl about a bit and took some pictures of he people on the street below. It is really tiny, not like some of those micro drones I have heard about. You know, the kind that look like insects so one really looks at them? But it is about mouse size. Best part is some sticky stuff I found and put on its feet to make it crawl up and down walls and ceilings."
Sakuro
"Everyone and everything deserves the opportunity to be useful, and have a purpose."

Annex could have turned this single sentence into a speech but stopped short of that. Sometimes brevity was best. Instead, he made a simple follow up observation.

"It sounds as though your crawler drone would be useful for scouting and observation"

The man paused, as he had before when preparing to change topics. A purposeful telegraphed signal for the observant, during which he watched Jimmy's facial expression.

"What are your feelings towards the Smoking Guns gang?"
Mercy

The boy shrugs again. "Not so much different to any other gang here. A bit worse than what we had before Monday, but a bit better than the 'Strikes were going to be if they had not been wiped out. I expect that they will do what gangs always do and tax us and spend it on drugs and drink. You get used to it after a while, I guess."
Sakuro
It never ceased to amaze him how people said nearly the exact same thing when he asked them the question. How programed they were, and desensitized to their own plight. It was like walking into a village of blind lepers, unable to really see the decay of their own bodies. When Annex responded his voice was even and mild. Pointing out what to him was an obvious weakness and vulnerability that people should be ready to exploit. Later, towards the end, there was a note of dynamic energy to his words.

"They are but four men, Jimmy. Just four. Under fed. Under equipped. Poorly trained. Yet so many people are ready to roll over and accept their domination of the neighborhood. Because, as you have illustrated, people have gotten use to being under the heel of one gang or another. You should not have to get use to being exploited and terrorized."

There was a brief pause as he allowed what he had said time to register with the youth before he posed another question.

"If you were given the opportunity to change things, would you want to?"
Mercy

Jimmy looks at you for a moment then nods. "This is about that stuff people are saying about you, isn't it? That you want to form some sort of vigilante group and kick the gang out. Sure, I guess I could support that, but what can I do? I am just a janitor at the local 'Shack."
Sakuro
"It is about more than that. But getting rid of the gang needs to happen before things can have a chance to get better in this neighborhood. A janitor is also never just a janitor. You are preparing to install a sensor suite for a club. You have built your own drone from scrap."

Annex raised a hand then, invitingly. The gesture coupling with his words to encourage him to take part in what he described.

"If you wanted to put your drone to use, you could employ it to keep tabs on the Smoking Guns. Perhaps even listen in on their conversations. They may want to go after Doctor Hayes in order to solidify their influence. It would be good to preempt such a thing. There may be other advantage to be found as well."
Mercy

Jimmy nods again. "Sure thing, Mister Oliver, I can get the drone over there. I did not have enough skill to make it fly, so it only walks, and slowly at that. Crossing the street could be a problem so I should at least carry it to the side of the street I need it on. I could set it down a few buildings from where they hang out and let it go the rest of the way. Do you want it inside their bar or watching the outside?"
Sakuro
"Do not endanger your drone needlessly. If you can get it inside without detection while they are there, that could be useful. Otherwise external observation will suffice. Melinda may also be able to find you some blueprints of their building on the Matrix. Should she be able to, your drone may then have the option to make use of venting systems, or other out of sight crevices. Speaking of Melinda, it is time you met her."

Annex waited a beat, giving Jimmy the time to register what he had said. Then he raised his left hand a gestured for the young man to accompany him as he exited the kitchen into the club proper. As he entered the room he panned his vision over it, noted the people present and their location, before leading the way to the booth Melinda had been working at.
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1033 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

The room is still mostly empty, the only people visible are the five girls playing poker and Willow, who is standing near the table and watching them play. She looks up and smiles at you as you go by and nods at Jimmy.

As you walk around the security booth, you see Melinda drop her hands to the table and hold her head straight ahead.
Sakuro
Seeing Willow he caught her eye, and smile. Returning a nod to her by way of silent greeting.

"Melinda, this is Jimmy. He will be installing some sensors for us in the future. Jimmy, this is Melinda. She is the Willow Tree's Spider. You will be going through her when networking the exterior sensor suite."

As he spoke each person's name Annex gestured to either Melinda or Jimmy as was appropriate. He gave the two young people an opportunity to exchange greetings before pressing forward, speaking directly to Melinda now.

""Jimmy is also going to assist me in gathering some information on a hostile gang. Do you think you would be able to look up the blueprints of a building in the neighborhood for us?"

If the answer was an affirmative, Annex indicated for Jimmy to give directions, or an address, for the building he would be spying on.
Mercy

Jimmy holds out a hand to Melinda, who looks at it and then looks at you, as if wondering what to do.
Sakuro
When he saw the expression on Melinda's face his eyes roamed over her. Looking to see if she datajack was connected to the security booth or her deck, as she had when he last left her. Once assured of this he sent her a message over his comlink, so as not to draw attention to her social ignorance with a verbal statement.

>>He is offering to shake your hand.<<

An image followed of two people shaking hands in a typical fashion.

>>It is, generally, a friendly form of greeting.<<
Mercy

When you look, you see that Melinda has all three of her data jacks out; two connected to the deck and the third running to a port in the console. She nods to you and gives Jimmy a slight smile as she holds out her hand for him to shake. "Hello."

Jimmy is a bit lost for words himself at the sight of the young girl with multiple jacks coming from her neck. "Fuck......er, sorry." He blushes a lot then continues. "I mean, uh, I guess I have never seen so..........."

He has not let go of the girl's hand and she does not seem to know what to do, but she smiles again and blushes as well before looking up at you. "I am to work with Jimmy, Master?" She must be a bit confused to use the term again. Jimmy suddenly lets go of her hand and looks closely at her then at you.
Sakuro
Annex was about to remind Jimmy that he still had a hand that could be opened and that it was alright to let go of the pretty girl's hand when Melinda found a way to get Jimmy to let go. Blue-gray eyes focused on her as she spoke.

"Yes. Though to be clear, he is not your superior."

The use of the title 'master' had not escaped his notice. As he shifted his gaze to Jimmy his tone took on a warning edge. A subtle non-verbal promise of pain laced his words. But these were notes of protectiveness, not aggression.

"Melinda comes from a complicated background. You will act with discretion and courtesy when dealing with her."
Mercy

The boy gulps, obviously cowed by your tone. "Sure thing, Mister Oliver. I never.....well, I never thought that way. It just surprised me, you know. her calling you Master."

He turns back to Melinda, who has gone back to looking at the table in front of her. "How can I get everything to tie in? Oh, and yeah, here is the address of the Bonfire Club. The 'Guns meet there. If you can get me the plans of the building I....................."

Melinda interrupts him by pointing to one of her screens, where the floor plans for all three levels of the building labeled Bonfire Club are displayed. She waves a hand over her deck and Jimmy's 'link pings with a message. His eyes still wide, he looks down and they get even bigger, if that is possible. "Shit...........uh, sorry again. That was fast. Thanks, Melinda."

The girl looks over at him and gives him a nod and a quick smile before turning back to look at the table in front of her.
Sakuro
Satisfied with Jimmy's response, Annex offered a singular nod of acknowledgement. His eyes slowly moved between the youths, watching their interaction until Melinda had forwarded the blueprints over to Jimmy. Very quickly at that. The social awkwardness between the two was something he was not going to be able to help them sort out in the short term, but an introduction had been made, and going from what he had experienced in Jimmy's company he felt he would not try to exploit Melinda. So he took a step back, creating some initial distance between them and himself as he prepared to depart from their company.

"I will leave you two to discuss the detail of Jimmy's project. Please forward a copy of the floor plans to me as well Melinda."

With that, unless some need for him to linger longer was expressed, he turned and walked away from the security booth. Finding Willow, he made his way over to her.
Mercy
Sunday 16 June 2075 1035 The Willow Tree, Redmond Barrens Seattle

Almost as soon as you make the request, you see Melinda's hand wave over her deck and your 'link purrs with an incoming message that has the floor plan file attached.

Willow is still standing near the table, watching the play but without getting involved in any of the discussions involving the customers. She looks up as you approach. "Good morning, Oliver. How did you sleep?"
Sakuro
As he neared Annex slowed his pace and came to maneuver so as to stand alongside Willow. Quickly his eyes swept over the poker players. He was uninterested in the game, but the players and how they played the game was something he gave some note to before settling his attention on Willow.

"Morning. My sleep was restful."

It was a short, simple, and mundane answer. Normally Annex did not sleep well. His mind was overactive. Always at work on some problem to solve or idea that he tended to like a demanding garden. A restful sleep session was thus uncommon. That significance was likely lost on someone who barely knew the man.

After the response was given Annex allowed only a brief pause before moving past pleasantries and into a brief update, though he spoke in a lowered tone to prevent his words from traveling beyond the two of them.

"Jimmy will be preparing an estimate for the expanded security sensor suite. I have also spoken with Melinda and Grok. They have agreed to remain on duty during the operation."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012