Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Striding the Soul's Edge
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Buddha72
I think we're looking for an actual time stamp. Like what time of day is it? Did we all get the job offer at the same time. From McQuillan's thread it seemed to be evening since that's when Extasssis is jumping. Mine came near my wake up time which is noon usually. I think we just need a time thrown out and work from there. It also would help for planning, how much time do we actually have before the meet.
BishopMcQ
Joker--The problem with reading Iblis' entry is I don't have my force 6 Hive Mind spell up so I have to go off of what info I've got. Right now that's the business card and the e-mail.
Joker9125
McQuillan--She sent out the 411 to everyone with all the info she has therefore reading the information in her intro is fair game to use
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (IC Thread)
The run was being put together by a local Mob middle man, linked directly to the big family through some convoluted chain of marriage and blood. No specifics about the run were given, by it was indicated that satisfactory performance would be rewarded with additional work. Several notes highlight recent Yakuza/Mafia clashes that had spilled out into the streets. The file also contained an address and a time at the Tacoma docks. Tomorrow night, 10pm.

I'm trying to get a picture for how big the Yak-Mob dances have been, are we talking about some soldiers shooting each other in the street like 2 bit street gangs or have there been stronger messages like car-bombs and shipments hijacked etc. What am I about to sign my team up for?

We also need the time stamp so we know if we have around 18 hours until the meet or closer to 36 hours.
Joker9125
QUOTE (McQuillan)
I'm trying to get a picture for how big the Yak-Mob dances have been, are we talking about some soldiers shooting each other in the street like 2 bit street gangs or have there been stronger messages like car-bombs and shipments hijacked etc. What am I about to sign my team up for?

How would you know this? Getting this information is what the meet is for.
BishopMcQ
Several notes highlight recent Yakuza/Mafia clashes that had spilled out into the streets.

I read this section of the packet sent to Iblis.
Fenris
McQuillan The card contains a stylized "Vinnie", an address at the docks, and says 10:00pm. Any other information you need?

As for the timing, I was playing fast and loose for the introductions. Assume it's early the morning of the 5th, the day of the meet. By early morning, I'm talking 11:00 am or so. That does the least damage to the timeline you've established, in my opinion.
Joker9125
sounds good to me
BishopMcQ
Went back and edited my posts to smooth the transition of time. Ready to roll forward
Joker9125
Panzergeist--Why bother witht the spells when you can project and check out the warehouse that way? Unless your an aspected magician
Panzergeist
There was just a discussion about this on the Shadowrun discussion board. You can't perceive a lot of stuff from the astral plane. You can't read, for starters. And I believe you can't understand spoken words either, though you can get a general idea of the tone of the conversation. Alternatively, my ally spirit, who has the sense-link power, could materialize in rat form and scout it out, but that would put her in danger.
Joker9125
I dont understand why you wouldnt ba able to listen in on convorsations but if thats the way fenris is playing it then the spells would be a good idea. Is not understanding physical words cannon?
Panzergeist
Well, the idea is that from the astral you can only see the inherent nature of things on the physical plane, and since language has no inherent meaning, you can't understand it any more than you could read Aramaic on the physical plane. But you can understand the emotional content of words, even written ones.
Joker9125
Then how could projecting mage manifest and speak?
Panzergeist
That's the grey area. GMs seem to be split on that. Actually, I may be wrong about not understanding spoken conversation, but I know you can't read in the astral.
Joker9125
Im gonna make a post on the main board i wanna leave this discussion just for the game
Blitz
Actually, as far as I understand the convention, written text is unreadable due to the fact that it has no emotion or spiritual essence in it. You CAN still read things that have a heavy emotional attachment to them...for example, a name written in the blood of a murder victim as their last effort to point a finger at her killer.

That said, spoken words are said by people who are still alive with meaning and thus are heard without a problem. I've NEVER played in a SR game that said you couldn't hear spoken word while astral. (including the SR tourney's Ive run with Fan Pro at gencon)

The details you dont get are thinks like the art on the wall, addresses on a house, labels on a box etc.
Joker9125
good point
WinterRat1
I have greatly enjoyed the IC posts thus far. There is a good amount of demonstrating the personality behind the characters in the descriptions and in the dialogue. As a thought/suggestion, I was thinking perhaps we could start a related thread, that highlights the history, relationships, and personality behind the characters.

Sort of a thread that "flashbacks" to various conversations and moments between and about the characters and fleshes out their relationships, personality, and history. There are things our characters would probably know about each other that we don't, but would be interesting to play out and examine. Just a few for instances,

1. Who is this guy Steel lives with? Her friend? Boyfriend? Lover? Partner?

2. Is Jake gay/bi? I think Fixx is a guy, but I am not sure.

3. What is the nature of friendships between the characters, like Moe and Iblis, Nameless and Steel?

4. How and why did Diesel and Nameless become joking buddies, and why and how did Loki hook up with Nameless?

5. What were some of the team's previous runs like?

I could go on, but point being, while not necessarily important to the game itself, it does make the story (and thus the game) a lot more interesting, so I thought it would be interesting to have a chance to play out/discuss/reveal some of these things.

Of course, a lot of the things above aren't necessarily my character's biz, like numbers 1 and 2. But it would be interesting to see the deal with Iblis and Jake played out, back when they first met.

Anyway, that's just a thought I had that might make the game more interesting, bring it to life more, and help flesh out the role-playing part of the game. Let me know what you all think, if there is enough interest, I say let's do it.

Side note: What happened to Number 6? Are they still playing?
BishopMcQ
I'm fine setting up a Flashbacks to Antiquity board if there is support.

The quickie version of Iblis and Jake is that he works for Mr. Carvaggio. Mr. Carvaggio collects beautiful things--Art, poetry, people, you name it. He also does not share well with others. Thus, the people that Mr. Carvaggio collects have to stay within the coterie for their habits. Jake is nominally Bi, simply because sex with beautiful men is better than no sex at all. This is one of the reasons that he and Iblis have an interesting dynamic. She won't join Mr. Carvaggio's workforce because it is much too formalized, even if it has the best boys in town.

If other people want to volunteer to write out fuller versions of their histories, I can set up the other board and will describe in much fuller detail Jake's history as well as how Iblis and others fit into it--including some of our previous runs.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Fenris)
McQuillan The card contains a stylized "Vinnie", an address at the docks, and says 10:00pm. Any other information you need?

Fenris--Was the comment you made about the Highlights of several conflicts between the Yaks and the Mob just flavor or is there some meat there to be read?
WinterRat1
Obviously the thread was my idea, so yeah, you can count me in for supporting it. I'd really like to read your guys' histories and flesh things out, maybe it'll help the game stay fresh, and run longer and smoother.
Buddha72
I can get behind the idea as well. At the very least it should make an entertaining read. twirl.gif
Joker9125
QUOTE (WinterRat1)
4. How and why did Diesel and Nameless become joking buddies

From the IC post ive read thus far it gives me the impression that Nameless jokes with everyone. So anyone who would have worked with him for any ammount of time would be a "joking buddy"
Panzergeist
Hey, you don't have to be good friends with someone to kid around.
BishopMcQ
Hey folks--I set up the Reflections board. I posted the story of Jake's first shadowrun and his intro to Fixx. I'll get another story posted soon probably Jake and Iblis
Buddha72
Fenris - Here's my matrix search test

My TN is 2 (keeping a low profile, doing standard search)

06 06 05 04 04 03 03 02 01 (8 successes) and it takes 4 hours (perfect, meets my matrix addiction needs)
WinterRat1
Fenris,

Etiquette roll (Triad Teacher Contact): 08 02 01 05 05
WinterRat1
McQuillan, that was good stuff. I look forward to reading more of your guys' stories. Feel free to use my character in your stories, and if anyone has a comment about how I use theirs, just let me know and we'll work something out.
Fenris
I need a sensor enhanced perception test from Moe, assuming your going active for the recon?
Joker9125
Since Diesel is watching the viedo feed in Moes van im gonna go ahead and make a perception test.

And I get the absolute UltraCrap

3, 2, 1
Blitz
Passive Only

Int: 17:5:3:2:2:1:1:1
BishopMcQ
Posted the story of Jake and Iblis.
WinterRat1
Fenris,

Etiquette Roll (Hitman Contact): 07 03 04 09 05
Fenris
Winter: What's the name of this contact? I didn't see him on your sheet.

WinterRat1
Fenris,

Name's Steel. I sent him in that second email, with the correctly updated character sheet. He's on the WAY bottom of the sheet. I entered the IC and OOC posts from another comp without my sheet available, and I forgot his name, hence the awkwardness of the post. And Steel can be a guy or a girl. Surprise me.
BishopMcQ
Fenris--

Are we in flux range to use our comm gear with the van? I have a rating 6, but I don't know what is in the van.

Blitz
The van has heafty power amps...level 4. However, putting out that much flux would be just as bad as going active on the sensors. It would make such a huge footprint that everyone would know Im there. When Moe called you, it was via phone.
BishopMcQ
I'm thinking if you are close enough we should be able to just use normal comms--which are fairly hard to detect on scanners. TN 9 i think. If you have a rating 6 comm, we might be able to do it without the Power Amps.

This is mainly me trying to figure out how to keep all the conversations going, without switching lines because I have multiple phone calls. I don't want to conference in our contacts with the running team.
Joker9125
Just letting everyone know I'm still here. And that I probably wolnt be posting untill their is something for my character to do or someone is in direct convorsation with him.
WinterRat1
Fenris,

Did you find it? I can resend you the sheet if you need it. Let me know if there's any further problems, but there should be five contacts on that sheet.
Fenris
McQuillan - Flux 6 won't get you there, unfortunately. Iblis's house is nowhere near 12km from the Tacoma docks. Even Moe's amps would only increase her reception and transmission range, which means she could hear you, but you couldn't hear her.

WinterRat1 - Yup, found it, all good.
Medesha
I am working on some stories for Steel, but it might be awhile. She, too, is probably just going to hang out and relax until meet time.
BishopMcQ
Fenris--Thanks, I couldn't remember the distance associated with our flux--I just knew it always seemed insanely large for our runs. At least I now have a reason to go and buy Rating 12 radios.

Medesha--looking forward to it.
Panzergeist
Ooooh, are we going on a crusade?
WinterRat1
Basically I just grabbed the SMG with accessories and the rest of my gear I wasn't carrying. I tend to travel light.
Joker9125
In case you havent noticed Diesel likes to travel heavy wobble.gif
Panzergeist
Force 2 watcher, 5 hours, no drain.
Fenris
Bump tomorrow at 5:00pm, or thereabouts, to the time of the meet. Please finish any recon or prep you'd like to take care of by then.

BishopMcQ
Time to set up my focii--

Silver Necklace with Pentacle (Combat Sense) Spellcasting 8 + 4 Spellpool TN 4
04 03 01 09 07 04 02 12 05 05 04 01--8 Successes
Force 4--Drain = 2S Willpower 6 + 2 Spellpool
01 03 05 04 02 08 07 01 = 6 Successes No Drain

Jade Brooch (Inc Ref +3) Spellcasting 8 TN 5
04 07 03 01 09 02 05 03 = 3 Successes
Force 1--Drain 3D Willpower 6 + 6 Spellpool
02 07 04 07 03 08 01 15 04 03 19 04= 10 Successes No Drain

I'll be wearing my Armor Focus, but not activate it yet. I'm taking my carried gear as per my sheet, but the Sword and Shield will be left in the Van.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012