Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Team Effort
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Shadow
Greetings! My current Game (Exiles Hope) is about to be finished shortly and I had a good idea for another one that I would like to run. Nothing stellar or epic, but "normal". Ideally this would not be just one run, then the game is over. But a series of runs with one thing in common. The players. Almost like a real table top group! I have seen these ideas before come and go, usually they last a few months and then *poof* there gone.

This may be the case here, but it won't be because of me. At the very least I would like to get through a single job before we decide to call it quits. The player who make it in will have to come up with why they are together as a group. Maybe it is past comradrie, or maybe you just like each other. Whatever the reasons it will be yours.

I only want people who like working in a group together, Lone Wolfs need not apply, nor will they be tolerated.

Please read through the rules twice before hitting the reply button. If you have any question, post them. Others may have the same question.

1. 125 point characters - no Becks, no Sum to 10.

2. Your welcome to use a current characters of up to 100 karma (see #1 if you don't have a current character). This does not mean you can create a new character and give him 100 karma. If you do use a previous character I would prefer it be one you have used in a game on Dumpshock.

3. This game is not first come first serve. Submit your character and I will get back to you on if he/she is in.

4. You can by power (spell) points, and karma with money. The cost of a point of Kama is nuyen.gif 5,000. The purpose being that you could initiate before gameplay.

5. Alpha is the highest grade for cyberware for starting characters. Any other characters can have up to Delta; but there better be a good reason why they have Delta.

6. Availability 10, max rating of 8, for equipment on starting characters.

7. I want finished characters only with the 20 questions answered. Characters need to be on nice clean sheets, the NSCRG web format is not acceptable.

8. You get 2 'bonus' Karma points if you send me a 500 word history with your character.

9. No custom gear. This is non negotiable. And by this I mean no gear from scratch, modifying current vehicles and weapons are acceptable.

10. I will post a minimum of 5 times a week (Monday through Friday). R/L could interfere but I will let you know if I cant post for more than a day or two. I can only post if you do though, so I expect everyone who plays to post at least 5 times a week. If you cant post often, please don't submit.

11. Deckers welcome!

12. Each character will have a Lvl 2 contact (Free) named Zoe. She is blond haired blue eyed and in her mid 20's, she is also human.

13. Don't worry about overlapping characters. Just make the character you want to play.

14. This forum, and my games, are PG-13. Keep foul language to an absolute minimum, or keep it in SR terms (Fragger, drek, etc).

E-mail completed characters kelvaris@dragonbaitstudio.com

The rules are subject to change and I am the sole arbiter of characters. If I say it doesn't go, it doesn't go.
Fortune
Dude! Definite interest here! smile.gif
Yum Donuts
Great, just when I get a chance to play a non-mage, he introduces a karma-buying system so atractive I can't resist it. you do realize you're giving a HUGE benefit to awakened characters here that mundanes are not getting much/any of. you might at least allow things like beta cyber or something to make sammies able to keep up.
Either way, my physad will be appearing in your mailbox this weekend.
Shadow
When you start doing the math I think you will find that the character will not be as great as you think. However, in case I am wrong, I am the final word on what characters get in. So any massively unbalanced character (for instance a troll who can do 28D with a bow) probably wont make the final cut.

Buy all means though, make the character you want to play, not the one you think I want you to make.
Yum Donuts
Just curious, but can those karma only be used for initiating? or can they also be used in foci bonding, or new spells? and could they be used for mundane things, like skills/atributes?
Shadow
Well I give you the option because I wanted new mages or physadds the ability to initiate.

However, if a street sam wanted to spend money on karma and increase skills that would be fine as well.

Cheese Emperor
For the deckers, would you mind a novice looking to learn the rules? I have a general grasp of them, but have yet to recieve any field training as it were.
Shadow
Sure. Submit your decker. I am pretty familiar with the rules, however I don not have Matrix 3, or for that matter Rigger 3. So if you use something from those books, it will be your responsibility to know it.
Cheese Emperor
What's max rating?
Ol' Scratch
When you say "no custom gear," do you mean no custom built gear from scratch (ie, your own firearm or vehicle), or do you mean no custom gear (ie, no smartlinks on weapons that don't have smartlinks, no personalized grips, no run-flat tires)?
Shadow
9. No custom gear. This is non negotiable. And by this I mean no gear from scratch, modifying current vehicles and weapons is acceptable.

Good point Dr. I modified it for you.
Fortune
Cool!

I guess I should add that I am submitting a Shaman.
Shadow
QUOTE (Cheese Emperor)
What's max rating?

6. Availability 10, max rating of 8, for equipment on starting characters.

Boom, thank you for pointing that out.
Tanka
What would you say to a Cyberzombie joining your ranks? I'll gladly take Cranial Bomb and the custom Flaw (Edge?) Corporate Sponsor for a Corp of your choosing.

And whatever other Flaws you decide to throw in to make it believable.
Cheese Emperor
This is going to sound odd, but what equipment would you say is necessary to do a trid pirate broadcast?
Tanka
Look up Shadowbeat. SR1, if I remember. It has everything on cameras. For the actual broadcasting, I'm pretty sure one of the Neo-A books has something on it.

I think.
Shadow
Tanka,

When you say cyberzombie, do you mean the big bad, spent 8 million cred, soul trapped in a robot, cyberzombie? Or do you mean a street sam with .01 essence and a million cred worth of 'ware?

Trid pirate broadcast....

I would say a satellite of some kind, the appropriate software. A scanner to scan the freq, and a power generator able to put enough amps through your tranceiver to override the station beam.

Not to mention, cameras, mic's, a place to do it from and a whole lot of precautions for when the corp traces the signal.
Tanka
I mean access to Deltaware, owned by a Corp, very possibly eventually going to be under that rich .01 Essence.

No way I can do a true-to-form Cyberzombie with only 1mil nuyen.
Digital Heroin
What year is this going to be set in? *will determine which version of a character is submitted*
Shadow
Well, you make the character you want to play Tanka. Thats all I can really say. My inclination is to say... no. However, you may suprise me and make an awesome character. So if you can follow the rules as listed, and can have an incredibly good reason why you would have Delta, then he has a good chance of getting in.

My question would be this.

Why isn't he still working for the corp?
Tanka
He will be, just making money on the side to help pay for his family expenses. He'll just never make a hit against his Patron Corp. Never.

OK, I'm going to get to work on it tomorrow after work. I have the basic theme already laid out in my mind.
Shadow
@ DH, the current year. I think it is 2063, and for the sake of argument, the game will be startining in October, 2063.
Tanka
Oh, yeah, he won't be a starting Cyberzombie, but, if I play it right with his Patron Corp, he may end up being one.

This is, of course, if I get in, and if you play it out that way.
Digital Heroin
So SURGE is in... sweeeeeet... er... you don't mind cross gendered play do you?
Shadow
Remember the idea here is that your a group. You all have worked together before and for some (as yet undecided) reason you have come together, to pool your resources.

So a character concept that is hinged on one day joining a corp and following Vegetmans footsteps, may not be the best choice.

Please though, submit the character, I may be wrong.

On another note, there is no reason why you can't submit TWO characters. It would certainly better your odds of getting in smile.gif

Also, I would like everyone DSF name on the Character sheet so that I can easily identify character with creator.
Tanka
Actually, the idea is that he already is in the Corp, just needs to make some extra money because, though he loves the Corp with all his heart, they just aren't paying him enough to support his family.

Anyway. I'll do that tomorrow after sleep and work (And getting paid!).
Raiko
Is it ok to use the same character in two runs at once on these boards?

I've just created a new character for the Reign of Shadows run (Mirage), and she'd fit in with your rules if I swap her Manhunter for a non-custom one.

I'm currently writing up her background, so I'll send you a copy when it's done.

If it's preferred around here to not run the same character in more than one run at the same time, then I'll create someone new maybe a rigger ( AVM = availability 10 biggrin.gif ).
Smed
I've got a Troll Street Sam I've played on the boards before named Sink I'll submit.
Grey
I so want in on any game you run.

Any chance I can keep playing Jessie once Exiles Hope is done?
Shadow
@ DH,

I don't really know what that is, so s long as whatever you play fits into the "PG-13" theme your fine. Submit the character and keep your fingers crossed.

This is a great place for me to remind prospective players of my no cussing rule.

@ Raiko,

I don't think that would be a problem, as long as effects from one game didn't cross over into the other.

@ Grey,

your welcome to submit Jessie, previously played characters are welcome.

@ Smed,

Sounds great! I look forward to seeing him.
Grey
Do I need to do a rewrite on her and submit, or can you just go with what you already have?
Shadow
well if you intend to play her post 'hope' then you may want to wait till after the karma awards are rolled out.
TinkerGnome
I'd like to continue Warpath's story, providing he, you know, lives through Exile's Hope. He's already got Zoe as a contact, too wink.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (Shadow @ Dec 11 2003, 07:32 PM)
@ DH, the current year. I think it is 2063, and for the sake of argument, the game will be startining in October, 2063.

OK I am going to use the good 'ole GM's Prerogative and change the date to late November, 2063

@ TKG,

Warpath is welcome, but the same above, re submit him after Karma awards for 'Hope have been dolled out. This games will not be starting before Hope ends.
TinkerGnome
Cool. Though unless we get a major payout, he'll be virtually identical as he is now wink.gif
Voltaire
QUOTE (Shadow)
7. I want finished characters only with the 20 questions answered. Characters need to be on nice clean sheets, the NSCRG web format is not acceptable.

Does a clean sheet mean one that's been typed up in a word processing program, or something else?
Shadow
It meens that it is easy to read, and not jumbled around. So notepad would not really be the best thing to use, but word would be great. If you do a search on the web you can find character sheets to download. Or just type it up in word.
Raiko
Is excel ok for the character sheet, I'll put the history in a separate word document.
Shadow
Excel is fine as long as the cells have no outline, and each collum is plenty wide.
Ol' Scratch
I scanned over your opening post twice but didn't see any mention of it, so if you've already stated as much, I apologize...

...but do have you set a deadline as to when you're going to stop accepting character sheets? I have a character I'd like to submit, but his original version is actually printed out and I need to tone him down a bit (he's earned about 250 Karma in the past) that I'd really like to play again. I just need to know how much time I have to do so and type him up in a purty character sheet for you.
Tanka
Is there a max set on Edges/Flaws? Total points or total Edges and Flaws period?

I dropped the Cyberzombie idea for something more fitting, by the by.
Shadow
@ Dr. Funk,

The games start date is a little up in the air. However, I will stop accepting characters in 2 weeks. So call it, the day after christmas, character creation is over. I hope 2 weeks is enough to get your character reworked, I would like to see you in.

@ Tanka,

Yes theres is, 5 pts in edges and 5 pts in flaws for new characters.
Cheese Emperor
I'll send the character you're way probably Sunday. Have to iron out the background and wait to find out the appropriate equipment for the trid pirating.
Grey
When do you think we'll be done with Exiles Hope?
Shadow
Well originally I had planned to finish the run during the month of November. But the best laid plans of mice and men....

So all I can say is, it's up to you guys.
Fortune
Sooner than I want to be!
Digital Heroin
QUOTE (Shadow)
@ DH,

I don't really know what that is, so s long as whatever you play fits into the "PG-13" theme your fine. Submit the character and keep your fingers crossed.

This is a great place for me to remind prospective players of my no cussing rule.

Don't worry... she's PG-13... she's just a clubgoing kid out for thrills... nothing pervy on my part...
Yum Donuts
QUOTE (Shadow)
12. Each character will have a Lvl 2 contact (Free) named Zoe. She is blond haired blue eyed and in her mid 20's, she is also human.

Good Golly!
I was going to write a background, but she's reason enough to run the shadows.

is there anything you can tell us about her though? if she is our contact and she has a link to a given corp/cause, it may help us to build characters that have a reason to group together.

Also, you have a no-cursing rule, as you've said, but cursing means different things to different people. I'm assuming the S, and F words are out, as are the more vulgar names for genetalia, but what about "crap" "hell" "damn" and "bitch" those tend to be in kind of a grey area, and don't have good SR euphamisms. sorry for the language here, but better to ask the rules now than to find out later.
Fortune
Damn = Damn
Crap = Drek
Hell = Hell (gimme a break! biggrin.gif)
Bitch = Slitch
Shadow
Try not to use anything derogatory if you don't mind. Crap, damn, and hell are acceptable. No B***h please.

As for Zoe. You no little about her other than she is reliable, and has never sent you on a run you couldn't handle. And the few time it has been called for, she has backed your decisions %100. From the way she talks and acts you get the feeling that she used to be corprate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012