Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (The ubbergeek @ Sep 27 2008, 12:19 PM) *
Isn't that the wrong rpg, and more a WoD - Kindread of the East big bad NPC? Am I speaking through my hat?

You are. See Runner Havens.
hermit
- Who is Jungle Cat? And what is he?

- Is Summer Blossom Hestaby?

- Was Ehran Shakespeare?

- Is Niall O'Connor still alive?

- What happened to Madagaskar? And what the hell is killing everything there?

- If Deus got to be a Paragon, and Mirage did, why didn't Megaira/Morgana?

- Is Leonardo the IE Leonarus the crazy Elf from ED? And was he Leonardo da Vinci or not? And was he indeed Brightlight? If so, does he defy the rules by having both Magic and Resonance capabilities now?

- Is Glasgian Oakforest dead or alive? Was he the person Hestaby offered to another dragon, as described in Dragons?

- Did they kick Aithne off the Council because he was in Lofy's pocket after the old Wyrm got his claws on Aithne's son? And where did Aithne go?

- Is Jenna Alachia's daughter?

- Was Jenna Queen Faila of Wyrmwood? Or was that Alachia?

- Is Alachia from the Second Age? If so, are there other Immortals as old as she is?

- Where is Lugh Surehand from? How did he get his scar?

- What is the deal with Crater Lake? Any news?

- And who is the Fool?
Ancient History
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 07:57 PM) *
- Who is Jungle Cat? And what is he?

"She"

- And who is the Fool?

You need to be a tad more specific to who you are referring to.
hermit
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 27 2008, 09:05 PM) *
"She"

So who/what is she?

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 27 2008, 09:05 PM) *
You need to be a tad more specific to who you are referring to.

He gives information to Niall in Nosferatu. He is very enigmatic. And blond, so he is not Harlequin. he is in one of the magic places of TNN, loosely affiliated to the court, but not one of them.

And one more:

- What became of Dirk Montgomery?
Ancient History
Ah, him. Former member of the Order of the Sun, Moon, and Stars. Check out Tir na nOg.
The ubbergeek
Random idea that popped in my head;

All races have metavariants, except... Humans. Why? More mudane than the other ones?

(I don't have that Runner's book, so I am not sure if it adressed that)
Ol' Scratch
Humans do indeed have a metavariant in SR4. A multi-armed brightly-colored metavariant. It's listed in Runner's Companion as you may have suspected. Technically, SR4 metavarients are all just Changelings with similar traits. So the opposite holds true; Changelings are all metavariants, but are too obscure or rare to be grouped into a single classification beyond "freak."
The ubbergeek
Wow....

That sounds like Hindu myths and legends. Silly-sounding perhaps, but awesome too.

What's their name?
hermit
Nartaki. Hindu mythology indeed.
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 02:10 PM) *

I asked this one in a different thread, A.H. answered this one already.

Something about Drop Bears. Whatever the Ghost those are.
hermit
Drop Bears are HMHVV-infected awakened Koalas.

Okay, maybe we can get that answer again?
Ancient History
The last shadowrunner wanted to return what the first shadowrunner stole. It wasn't easy, and he didn't do it without a fight. With cuddly widdle bears. Cuddly widdle bears of death.
The ubbergeek
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 03:36 PM) *
Nartaki. Hindu mythology indeed.

Ah crud, I *have* to include that in my games one day! I'm getting that book... love.gif grinbig.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 28 2008, 01:14 AM) *
- Is Alachia Hecate?

Yes.

- Is Alachia Sheila Blavatska?

Yes.

- Is Brane Deigh a reincarnation, an immortal, or a reincarnated Pathwalker who chose to become an immortal (and thus, forsake Nirwana)?

An Immortal Elf born in 2011.

- Is the Frosty who passionately posts in 4th Edition Sourcebooks really Jane Foster?

Yes.

- What happened to the Spirit of Denver in 4th?

Pale-n-Scaly seems to be uniting the individual pieces, but I'm not sure if he has completed the task.

- Was Winternight really led/inspired by a Horror?

Not that I know of.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 27 2008, 08:29 PM) *
QUOTE (hermit)

- Is Alachia Hecate?

Yes.

QUOTE (hermit)
- Is Alachia Sheila Blavatska?

Yes.

Myabe.
knasser

I've read through most of this thread, I don't think this one has been asked...

Who is the imprisoned dragon in Eastern Europe who was released by the mysterious mage with the iron rod in Dragons of the Sixth World, which Harlequin made a joke about in the Shadowtalk to Orange Queen?
Ryu
Fluff from Threats: Sheila Blatavska is rumored to be Maria Kapatelis. Might well be true, her identity is a copy of Greek culture. In that case she would be mortal. According to the Lone Gunman, Sheila Blatavska is Hekate.

The true answers however are left to the GM.
hermit
I suppose IE know of fake SINs ...
The ubbergeek
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 05:08 PM) *
I suppose IE know of fake SINs ...

Harlequin is surely an heck of a forger, if he feels like it. wink.gif
Fortune
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 28 2008, 06:39 AM) *
Myabe.

Sez you! nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif

You and I have been through this one before, several times in fact, and yet I still don't see any other viable alternative.
knasser
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 27 2008, 10:32 PM) *
and yet I still don't see any other viable alternative.

All of the immortal elves are in fact Harlequin whose mind has fragmented over the thousands of years of being the only immortal and survivor of the 4th age. With his vast mind he takes on the roles of those who he knew and lost, playing them against each other in the ultimate form of solitary role-playing, long since forgetting that they are not real.

At least that's how it is in my game. I like teh creepy.
Ol' Scratch
I'm actually really down with that.
Ryu
QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 27 2008, 11:32 PM) *
Sez you! nyahnyah.gif biggrin.gif

You and I have been through this one before, several times in fact, and yet I still don't see any other viable alternative.

The question is: Which factions sit on the Big D´s council?

Theory:
Assume that Umsondo represents the Zulu nation of Azania. Fitting for a Lion-shifter. Then the Heavenheards would be out of a representative. Enter a young lady with Greek roots...

I´m not aware of any hint that all Heavenheards went to Azania. Quite to the contrary, Cybertechnology speaks of the Azanian Heavenheards. Obviously an important distinction. And since they appear to be a mortal faction with hereditary traditions, a Maria Kapatelis would fit the picture.

From Ancients page (concerning the quotes, not the opinions on them):
:::::[HECATE] I would have thought you of all being would know whether or not a Great was in charge here.

:::::[THE BIG 'D'] Even we do not know who of us survived your down-cycle "hunting," my dear.

:::::[WORDSMYTH] Well, I-

:::::[THE BIG 'D'] And if we knew for certain who was responsible, we might not be having so pleasant a conversation.

:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] Of course, some of us have Greats as sworn enemies.

:::::[UMSONDO] The Rain Queen is not all of her kind.

:::::[JUNGLE CAT] Well, I can speak with a clear conscience, and I can also say that I have seen no direct evidence of dragon magic. None. I've seen and felt a great many "odd" magics, but nothing dragon.

:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] I take it then that you could not recognize the style or form?

:::::[JUNGLE CAT] No, I could not.

Assume that Hekate represents the Heavenheards, and that Sirrurgs "hunting the hunters" is targeted at the Heavenheard faction. Mujaji is a protector of the Xhosa, a traditional enemy of the Zulu, strenghtening the Umsondo-Azania bond.

And here, about the Aztlaner warrior orders:
:::::[HECATE] A deliberate connection to the Tir na nOg Paths, perhaps.

:::::[LADY OF THE COURT] If so, it is a corruption.

Odd choice of words if Hecate is really Alachia. Those are the roots of HER people.

Another interesting exchange:

:::::[JUNGLE CAT] I will pre-empt everyone's obvious question: no, we are not using one of the Great Rituals to empower the forest.

:::::[WORDSMYTH] You have a Locus point, do you not? Intact?

:::::[JUNGLE CAT] Yes.

:::::[HECATE] <UNTRANSLATEABLE>

:::::[THE LAUGHING MAN] Ironic, yes, that the near-death of us all brings new life to the world?

:::::[HECATE] That was always the intent.

:::::[WORDSMYTH] I will not dignify that with a response.

What if the Heavenheards did *somethingverybad* to magic-heavy Thera. They could have placed loci on mana lines all over the world, to store magical energy for the down-cycle. Thereby draining the ambient mana level.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 12:04 PM) *
p. 71, cont'd on 72.

Thanks, looked it up.

It could be, but then there'd be a piece of the puzzle missing. The text says that there was chunks of Novatech (circa2062) code in the "entity". Quicksilver's deck went to Transys, which didn't join with Novatech to make Neonet until late '64 at least.

FrankTrollman
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 02:10 PM) *
And one more:

His sister went on to become a major executive in Ares (Augmentation, page 13), a move that brought in a fair amount of highly skilled and specialized magical talent to the corp (Augmentation, page 145). Presumably with his sister getting a very well paid and cozy job, Dirk got himself a shave and a decent job as well.

-Frank
hermit
It could be, but then there'd be a piece of the puzzle missing. The text says that there was chunks of Novatech (circa2062) code in the "entity". Quicksilver's deck went to Transys, which didn't join with Novatech to make Neonet until late '64 at least.

Isn't Novatech still a Subdivision of NeoNET?

Also, does that mean Dirk Montgomery's an Invae too (read: dead)?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 28 2008, 11:24 AM) *
His sister went on to become a major executive in Ares (Augmentation, page 13), a move that brought in a fair amount of highly skilled and specialized magical talent to the corp (Augmentation, page 145). Presumably with his sister getting a very well paid and cozy job, Dirk got himself a shave and a decent job as well.

-Frank

when the hell did THAT happen?
Grinder
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 28 2008, 01:42 PM) *
Also, does that mean Dirk Montgomery's an Invae too (read: dead)?

Why should he? Only because his sister's working for Ares?
CanRay
I doubt it. His Sister is not his Sister any longer. He's food to her as far as she's concerned.

I figure:
A: He's still in Hawai'i, working as a Private Detective.
B: What A.H. said happened.
Trax
Has anyone sent AdamJury an 'I Love the Sixth World' parody as mentioned on the website back in July? http://www.shadowrun4.com/wordpress/?p=244

I'd like to see some of them.
FrankTrollman
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Sep 28 2008, 07:26 AM) *
when the hell did THAT happen?

Some time after the events described in Threats 2 on page 64, where Ares contracted with some Insect Mages to start biological experiments; and before the events described on page 111 of Street Magic, where Ares already has a group of magicians working for Firewatch who can open an astral gateway to The Hive (these magicians are by definition Insect Mages).

So between 2062 and 2070, Ares took on Info-Santé and appointed Theresa Montgomery (an Insect Spirit) as chief executive of that subsidiary. Smart money is on late 2064 or early 2065, when Ares purchases up big chunks of Cross (Info-Santé presumably included). Which is why when these events are referenced in Augmentation they in the past-tense. And now the corp in Detroit is going to use the magical expertise of her "friends" to make cyberzombies.

Which means that in Shadowrun, Robocop is designed by the Hive Queen from Aliens.

-Frank
hermit
So canon, as is, is more on the "Ares has a hive and keeps it controlled" side than "The Hive controls Ares"?
Cardul
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 29 2008, 03:01 AM) *
So canon, as is, is more on the "Ares has a hive and keeps it controlled" side than "The Hive controls Ares"?

That is what the Hive wants Ares to think
ravensmuse
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 29 2008, 01:39 AM) *
Which means that in Shadowrun, Robocop is designed by the Hive Queen from Aliens.

What a great idea. Think I'll steal that smile.gif
darthmord
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 29 2008, 01:39 AM) *

-Frank

That is a scary thought...
hermit

So Shadowrun is Star Trek 7. Interesting.
The ubbergeek
Another poundering;

-Is the metavariants thing new of the Sixth World, or they existed already (in perhaps another way) in Fourth Age? Not sure if Earthdawn spoke of it.
Grinder
Just think of K'stuulami and the Pale Ones. wink.gif
Uli
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Sep 29 2008, 07:39 AM) *
Ares already has a group of magicians working for Firewatch who can open an astral gateway to The Hive (these magicians are by definition Insect Mages).

They are? Why should they?
Ryu
QUOTE (Uli @ Sep 30 2008, 11:04 AM) *
They are? Why should they?

Because with the knowledge gained in The Hive they could conjure insect spirits. What with getting the true name of queens.
hermit
QUOTE (Grinder @ Sep 29 2008, 11:55 PM) *
Just think of K'stuulami and the Pale Ones. wink.gif

Or the Klobb, for that matter. Easily built with Picasso Face.
Ancient History
We call 'em Ulkmen in these parts, friend.
hermit
I'm Vasgothian, I can call them what we call them!

Damn Imperialist. sarcastic.gif
Uli
QUOTE (Ryu @ Sep 30 2008, 02:02 PM) *
Because with the knowledge gained in The Hive they could conjure insect spirits. What with getting the true name of queens.

Interesting. Didn't consider that. Althought the story on p. 111 in Street Magic implies that the Firewatch mages are following the astral connection of a focus to another mage (probably an insectshaman) who travels the Hive at the moment.
Ryu
QUOTE (Uli @ Sep 30 2008, 06:13 PM) *
Interesting. Didn't consider that. Althought the story on p. 111 in Street Magic implies that the Firewatch mages are following the astral connection of a focus to another mage (probably an insectshaman) who travels the Hive at the moment.

How they get there is ultimately of little concern. Humanity is no longer afraid of the universe...
darthmord
Here's a few questions...

1. How long do metaplanar quests last?

2. In Unwired, the section on Netcat has her taking a trip to the Resonance Realms and she was gone for 10 days! Yes, I am aware the Resonance Realms are different from the Metaplanes. Shouldn't the mechanic be similar?

3. My next point / question relates to the first question. Astral Projection time is limited by your Magic Rating in hours. The conversation about the bugs and Ares got me thinking. Those space stations have a small biosphere. Thus they don't have the full -12 going on. Regardless, wouldn't that severe of a reduction in Magic rating also strongly limit how long an Ares Firewatch mage could spend chasing down hives on the Insect Metaplane?
Athanatos
Actually, if you read closer on meta-planar quests, It mentions that they don't follow the standard limits. It suggests that you have some sort of support set up to both provide life-support and someone/something to guard the meat-bod. Personally I'm in my lodge with barriers set up and atleast my famliar/s (two now) guarding me and probably a few higher rank spirits. I'd also try to get a friend or two on stand-by I don't like taking that many chances lol.

<<< not for leaving the shoes to invae, shedae, horoi, etc.!! devil.gif
Custodius
A few questions I would really like answered:

1: Daniel Coleman 'ne Howling Coyote, founded the NAN, blew up some mountains, got pissed with the NAN after Aztlan, Tir Tarngire and Tsimshan break off, then disappears. I know earlier in this thread someone said he died in the second great ghost dance. Can anyone provide more detail on that event or point me at a novel/book in which it happens? I think he's one of those characters in the 6th world that got precious little attention paid to him once his 'role' was over.

2: Magic in orbit or other planets (moon, mars). Does it function there? I know there were some references to magic not working on sub-orbitals, but I don't recall them in specific.

And an answer:

Several people have asked 'whats up at crater lake'.

AS I understand it, an immortal elf who's name I forget, had a son by a horror in the 4th world. That son kept screwing with her, so she banished him at Crater Lake. However, Dunk made a comment that banishing one out, left a path for more in. I think the Tir Nation is sort of keeping an eye there to keep bad things from escaping.
TheOOB
QUOTE (darthmord @ Sep 30 2008, 03:34 PM) *
Here's a few questions...

1. How long do metaplanar quests last?

2. In Unwired, the section on Netcat has her taking a trip to the Resonance Realms and she was gone for 10 days! Yes, I am aware the Resonance Realms are different from the Metaplanes. Shouldn't the mechanic be similar?

3. My next point / question relates to the first question. Astral Projection time is limited by your Magic Rating in hours. The conversation about the bugs and Ares got me thinking. Those space stations have a small biosphere. Thus they don't have the full -12 going on. Regardless, wouldn't that severe of a reduction in Magic rating also strongly limit how long an Ares Firewatch mage could spend chasing down hives on the Insect Metaplane?

When visiting the metaplanes you do not have any time limit like in the astral, though if you are gone a long time your physical body might get sick or die. Metaplaner quests can last any amount of time. You may feel like your gone a week only to come back 5 minutes after you left, and you may feel like you've only been gone a couple of hours and come back two weeks later. Time doesn't flow at the same rate in the metaplanes.
Fortune
#1. Daniel Howling Coyote makes an appearance in the third novel of the Secrets of Power trilogy, Find Your Own Truth. As you can probably imagine, this book also contains details of the second Ghost Dance.

#2. Space is a Mana Warp, and as such Magic is severely curtailed to all but the most powerful magic users.

As far as I know, Aina (the I.E.) never actually banished Thais (her half-Horror son).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012