Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Brazilian_Shinobi
I think that one of the devs just plays a lot of Warcraft 3 at battle.net wobble.gif , but I could be wrong grinbig.gif
Stalker-x
Good guess, too, but that doesn't make it any easier to translate the darn thing. ohplease.gif
Ophis
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Jan 22 2010, 03:16 PM) *
FUQ it for the first in a long time! wink.gif
I've got a question hopefully not to remain unanswered for long: Why did Catalyst pick the name "Dawn of the Artifacts" for the new adventure series? Even reading through the first of the four ("Dusk") hasn't provided me with any clues. (Besides DotA probably being an allusion to the Earthdawn connection... don't you think?)
Plus, why those funny titles? "Dusk", "Midnight", "Darkest Hour", and probably "Dawn"... Is that some lame rip-off taken from Stephenie Meyer or Robert Rodriguez?
I'm happy for every guess you can give me.

Best,
Stalker.

Pretty sure it is mostly an ED reference. The subtitles suggest the timing in a sequence or act of a story to me.
Stahlseele
i'm telling you, if in "Darkest Hour" the Matrix sheds some light and allows for a leadership test, i am going to point and laugh.
Ancient History
But will you play it straight?
Stahlseele
No, i'm gonna blow up a rediculous looking sports car.
BishopMcQ
I'm going to point you back to page 3 of Dusk. The answers about the name are there, beyond that there's some sound logic in this thread about the other parts.

Stahlseele--The next time you and friends are running from a Barghest, your Face has failed their leadership test.
Stahlseele
Well, we have at least someone whom i would not put it past to say "me grimlok"
BishopMcQ
me GRIMLOK rawr
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 24 2010, 01:33 PM) *
Well, we have at least someone whom i would not put it past to say "me grimlok"

You have the touch. You have the powerrrrrr!

*cue synth drums*
Stahlseele
Ah, good to see at least SOME nerds still know their classics ^^
Wesley Street
German, please. I was pulled out of school to see that movie on opening day. wink.gif
Stahlseele
Well, considering that the movie was released on the 17th of September 1984, i'd have been all of one half year old by that time . .
I'm just a bit disappointed, because somehow most people around me don't know that movie AT ALL . .
I have started distributing DVD's with the Movie in HD Quality to rectify this issue.
WalksWithWiFi
if you could only remove blurr and wheelie...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 26 2010, 12:35 PM) *
Well, considering that the movie was released on the 17th of September 1984, i'd have been all of one half year old by that time . .

I wouldn't even have been a twinkle in my father's eye!
Stahlseele
QUOTE (WalksWithWiFi @ Jan 26 2010, 06:36 PM) *
if you could only remove blurr and wheelie...

Forget them, KILL HOTROD!
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 26 2010, 07:11 PM) *

bah, cub <.< . . GET OFFA MY LAWN! ò,Ó;,
Apathy
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 26 2010, 01:14 PM) *

All of you make me feel old. Is there anyone else still left here that's over 40?
etherial
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jan 26 2010, 02:05 PM) *
All of you make me feel old. Is there anyone else still left here that's over 40?

They all went to Carousel, but none of them Renewed.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 26 2010, 01:14 PM) *

One day I will own a lawn, and a silver topped cane, and I will sit on my porch just so I can shout that at people. Or at least, be correct when I do.

Or maybe not, because I don't like mowing.

A silver topped can would be fucking awesome though.
Stahlseele
I think i have a Pimp-Cane with a Silver Skull somewhere . .
Stalker-x
QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Jan 24 2010, 02:22 PM) *
I'm going to point you back to page 3 of Dusk. The answers about the name are there

Seen it and dumped it again. I know, it bears some resemblance, but... heck, what significance does the name of a silly matrix game mentioned once in a piece of intro fiction really have for an entire adventure series? The only bells ringing here are those on my fluff alert. wink.gif

QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Jan 26 2010, 01:25 PM) *
German, please.

Zu Diensten! biggrin.gif Actually, the reason why I'm worrying so much about that silly title is that I have to come up with some German translation of it. If it can be translated at all, that is. 'cause the odds aren't good for that, I reckon.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (etherial @ Jan 26 2010, 02:08 PM) *
They all went to Carousel, but none of them Renewed.

Booo! Hiss! Boo! biggrin.gif

(I'm only 27)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 26 2010, 02:17 PM) *
I think i have a Pimp-Cane with a Silver Skull somewhere . .

Mine would have a dragon's head.
Tyro
The youngins are taking over - I'm 22, and my players are 25 (my fiancé), 29 (my secondary), and 22 (my best friend).

NYA NYA NYA NYA-NYA! singsong
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Apathy @ Jan 26 2010, 12:05 PM) *

That would be Me... In '84, I was signing up for the Marine Corps...

Keep the Faith
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jan 26 2010, 08:42 PM) *
The youngins are taking over - I'm 22, and my players are 25 (my fiancé), 29 (my secondary), and 22 (my best friend).

<age=24>
Stahlseele
Sadly, i am feeling much older than my 26 Years of Age <.<
Saint Sithney
Every atom in my body was once part of a star.
I feel so old.
darthmord
1984... I was 9 years old.
Ophis
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 26 2010, 06:11 PM) *

My dad took me to see it. I was 7. I watched my childhood heores get swallowed by a planet...

31 for the record
Apathy
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 26 2010, 09:16 PM) *

Keep the Faith

Excellent! I was a year behind you, and went Army instead. Guess that makes you the old curmudgeon of the group, not me. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Apathy @ Feb 3 2010, 03:36 PM) *
Excellent! I was a year behind you, and went Army instead. Guess that makes you the old curmudgeon of the group, not me. smile.gif

I feel Old...
But Not TOO Old Mind You...

Keep the Faith
MJBurrage
QUOTE (Tyro @ Jan 26 2010, 08:42 PM) *

In the above context, what is a "secondary" ?
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 26 2010, 06:16 PM) *

Keep the Faith

Semper Fi, brother. I went to MCRD in '98.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Apathy @ Feb 3 2010, 03:36 PM) *

Bah! Striplings, both of you. In '84, I was 31.
Tyro
QUOTE (MJBurrage @ Feb 3 2010, 09:14 PM) *
In the above context, what is a "secondary" ?

I'm polyamorous. My secondary romantic partner.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 4 2010, 01:38 AM) *
I'm polyamorous. My secondary romantic partner.
You just brought a lot of hate down on you from a lot of lonely people here. wobble.gif
Warlordtheft
I'm 37 going on 10. grinbig.gif

etherial
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 4 2010, 09:58 AM) *
You just brought a lot of hate down on you from a lot of lonely people here. wobble.gif

And pity from others. nyahnyah.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (etherial @ Feb 4 2010, 11:04 AM) *
And pity from others. nyahnyah.gif

Possibly both! grinbig.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 4 2010, 06:58 AM) *

I'll give you the stock answer: Take the work inherent in keeping one relationship stable. Raise it to the power of the number of people besides yourself in the relationship.

I'm lucky - my primary and secondary are best friends, and help keep the communication level high - but as a general rule, poly is a LOT more work than most people realize.
LivingOxymoron
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 4 2010, 01:17 PM) *
I'll give you the stock answer: Take the work inherent in keeping one relationship stable. Raise it to the power of the number of people besides yourself in the relationship.

I'm lucky - my primary and secondary are best friends, and help keep the communication level high - but as a general rule, poly is a LOT more work than most people realize.

You know, this actually raises an interesting question...

How are relationships like these and others translated into the SR Universe? Most of canon stays away from this explicitly, but seems to imply a continued norm of "traditional" heterosexual relationships.
Daylen
all the best things in this world were made in 1984 from movies to technology to me.
Professor Evil Overlord
A few more questions...

Which of the named horrors survived through the end of the 4th world? Surely some of them must have been killed off between the time covered by Earthdawn and the start of the 5th age.

What is the minimum mana level to sustain the various horrors and horror constructs? We know that it requires a lower mana level to keep horrors on Earth than to allow them to cross over, but how low can mana levels get before they have problems? And what happens when the levels do get low enough? Does the horror die, return home, go dormant, what?

How many other horrors are/were 'trapped' during the down cycle? If there was one prison, how many more are there? And how were the prisons made in the first place?
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 4 2010, 05:23 PM) *
all the best things in this world were made in 1984 from movies to technology to me.
Don't forget Big Brother
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Feb 3 2010, 11:46 PM) *
Semper Fi, brother. I went to MCRD in '98.

Semper Fi....

Hollywood Marine or Island Marine? I was a Hollywood Marine Myself...

Keep the Faith
Tyro
QUOTE (LivingOxymoron @ Feb 4 2010, 05:21 PM) *
You know, this actually raises an interesting question...

How are relationships like these and others translated into the SR Universe? Most of canon stays away from this explicitly, but seems to imply a continued norm of "traditional" heterosexual relationships.

I generally assume a continuation of the current trend of greater societal acceptance of fringe culture, especially with the whole 80's "fight the power" mentality shaping the future. I think it could be argued either way. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
LivingOxymoron
Hollywood here. Platoon 2002, Fox Company, 2nd Battalion.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 4 2010, 08:28 PM) *
Semper Fi....

Hollywood Marine or Island Marine? I was a Hollywood Marine Myself...

Keep the Faith

Namelessjoe
i think i would agree about acceptance of fringe groups with btl's, the matrix and such all your dreams and desires are at your fingertips... so u can do it discreetly or in a club...

back to the side note of multiple partners i think kudos to you if your sucsefull at it its hard enough to fail at my one relationship at a time wink.gif... of course if its like a triangle it may be easyer because everyone who wants attn has the potental for 2 partners to give it(from a social view anyway) smile.gif
Penta
QUOTE (Tyro @ Feb 5 2010, 02:01 PM) *
I generally assume a continuation of the current trend of greater societal acceptance of fringe culture, especially with the whole 80's "fight the power" mentality shaping the future. I think it could be argued either way. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I'm going to actually disagree. "Street culture" might be more accepting. Might. Only in some areas, though.

Corporate culture would likely...not be. In fact, if there's actually a heavy influence of Japan Inc, it'd suggest a rather more conservative outlook than Westerners are used to.

What's acceptable on the street and what's acceptable when you're a professional are sometimes very different things.

Pop culture will really, really depend on where you are. It's unwise at best to apply the mores of California, for instance, and presume they'll translate automatically to Pennsylvania or Ohio without a fight.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012