Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Kanada Ten @ Feb 5 2009, 02:24 PM) *
The SS-Council ends up absorbing the Tsimshian Nation. But I don't know about the weapon.

Didn't the original NaN books have an adventure in it dealing with "Red Masque" a powerful bio-warfare agent? IIRC

Edit: Red Masque was the codename for a nasty bioweapon a viral agent that causes physical and mental deterioration in mammals. Created by the US in the Klawock weapons lab on Prince of Wales Island. In Alaska so maybe not what I thought it was.
Sir_Psycho
Well it makes a little bit of sense. SoNA suggests some-one is coaxing Tsimshian into the conflict. Given the UCAS' tenuous relations with the NAN, having their bioweapon fall into the hands of Tsimshian could help destablize the NAN from the inside through civil war. On the other hand, the Sioux have a tendency to play big brother NAN police, so they could have stolen the weapon from up north, perhaps to jump in and curry favour with the SSC. The Makah are another, if unlikely candidate, given their militaristic and nationalistic nature, although it would be predominately their troops at risk if the Tsimshian had a bioweapon, and it doesn't really have much conceivable benefit for them. Then there's the corps, but who knows what the hell they're doing.
BookWyrm
QUOTE (Catsnightmare @ Feb 4 2009, 03:42 PM) *
You can ask Mayor Bloomberg, he knows.

I know. I saw it on Youtube.
Hagga
What book is the black monastery featured in? The ones where The Black Chrysanthemum train? It's mentioned to be toxic central, and it's mentio0ned along with a grey and white monastery.
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Feb 6 2009, 05:47 PM) *
Didn't the original NaN books have an adventure in it dealing with "Red Masque" a powerful bio-warfare agent? IIRC

Edit: Red Masque was the codename for a nasty bioweapon a viral agent that causes physical and mental deterioration in mammals. Created by the US in the Klawock weapons lab on Prince of Wales Island. In Alaska so maybe not what I thought it was.

NAN2, a (TerraFirst!) toxic shaman and her crew of Haida rebels obtain Red Masque from an old military bunker, planning to release the gas from a ferry headed into Kitimat. The runners are employed by an eagle freespirit who knows something bad is going to happen. There's also a back up plan to stop the toxic shaman, one of the Lodges.

If the weapon used during the border war was Red Masque, then the question is whether the Lodge got a hold of it (and then used it or lost it), or did someone just fish it out of the bay after the runners sunk the ferry?

(I had the toxic shaman hire my players to steel the weapon from an Ares Disarmament facility, and then run off with it, planning to have her use it on the border war via the 2064 (?) incident.)
pbangarth
Kanada Ten, I don't see mention of the Black Lodge in the scenario in NAN2. Is this your addition to the run, or am I missing something?
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 10 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Kanada Ten, I don't see mention of the Black Lodge in the scenario in NAN2. Is this your addition to the run, or am I missing something?

Not the Black Lodge, but in the troubleshooting section the writer mentions that an Amerindian group (the Long House Lodge?) is prepared to neturilize the threat via ritual magic should the runners fail. IIRC.
pbangarth
Ahh...ahh.. of course. I should have known that. Thanks.
counterveil
F U Q #249110629587

How do I apply a "force" number to a Physical Adept power that mimics a spell effect? Do I use the Adept's Magic Rating? Some other number? Is the variable used always the same?

EXAMPLE: Elemental Strike: Blast is a Physical Adept power that mimics the elemental spell effect of Blast, which is defined as adding the Spell's Force to the base DV for determining knock down. Since a Physical Adept does not use or have Spell Force, what do I use to substitute for it?

This is one of those things that I actually don't think is defined in SR4 or supplements thereof. Or perhaps I am just completely missing something, in which case I would gladly recant this F U Q and take the forum title "LRN2READ"
Hagga
Either the adept's damage /2, or the adept's magic.
Wesley Street
Who became the Russian Secretary General after the the assassination of 2064?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
What Happened in Bucharest?
Warlordtheft
Where's Harliquien?
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Mar 27 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Where's Harliquien?

Annoying Frosty.
darthmord
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Mar 27 2009, 02:17 PM) *
Annoying Frosty.

I'd say that is rather dangerous but this is Harlequin we're talking about. Even asleep he's more dangerous than most shadowrunners.
SirFozzie
QUOTE (darthmord @ Mar 27 2009, 09:44 PM) *
I'd say that is rather dangerous but this is Harlequin we're talking about. Even asleep he's more dangerous than most shadowrunners.

The answer to that, is that Frosty apparently got him the equivalent of World of Warcraft, and Harlequin has spent several months obsessively playing it.
Stahlseele
Opening Pages of Dusk . . the best part of the whole thing it seems . .
SirFozzie
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 27 2009, 06:39 PM) *
Opening Pages of Dusk . . the best part of the whole thing it seems . .

Yup. Ehran and Harlequin back to back defending each other from tons of enemies. smile.gif
BlueMax
QUOTE (SirFozzie @ Aug 27 2009, 03:31 PM) *
Yup. Ehran and Harlequin back to back defending each other from tons of enemies. smile.gif

GAAAAH

SPOILER Tag, use it love it.

BlueMax
/dreams shattered
Stahlseele
Geez, it's only a Game . . IN A GAME!
It's only introductionary Fiction.
And they haven'T been at each others throats for quite some time now.
BlueMax
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 27 2009, 04:31 PM) *
Geez, it's only a Game . . IN A GAME!
It's only introductionary Fiction.
And they haven'T been at each others throats for quite some time now.

sorry, I was trying for Cute but picked the wrong tags.

In reality its more BROKE than CUTE. But as soon as I get cash, and my SR4A, that will be on the list.

BlueMax
Hagga
What the hell is Schwartzkopf REALLY up to? No great dragon would be Albus Dumbledore without a very good reason; or is he just trying to outpace Lofwyr in the magic department?
Stahlseele
Probably trying to come up with a unified magical theory that would allow him to learn anything a dragon can usually not learn in the magical ways. Imagine a Dragon calling forth a Force 40 or something Spirit of whatever, letting it possess something, maybe with channelling even himself . . Nigh unstoppable . .
Hagga
Don't Dragons have magic ratings up in the triple digits anyway? I mean, Frosty has been a Magician for.. what, 15 years? She's got 14 magic. Even if they only got a karma point a month (or 5000 legend points, whatever) they're going to get up there. And they don't need training.
TheOOB
QUOTE (Hagga @ Aug 31 2009, 03:58 AM) *
Don't Dragons have magic ratings up in the triple digits anyway? I mean, Frosty has been a Magician for.. what, 15 years? She's got 14 magic. Even if they only got a karma point a month (or 5000 legend points, whatever) they're going to get up there. And they don't need training.

A magic score in the triple digits would make you like a good, if I am correct Harlequin, one of the most powerful magicians in the 6th world, is described as having initiated in the "high double digits", and most likely does not have a magic score that is as high as his initiate grade. because magic is expensive to raise.
Hagga
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Aug 31 2009, 09:51 AM) *
A magic score in the triple digits would make you like a good, if I am correct Harlequin, one of the most powerful magicians in the 6th world, is described as having initiated in the "high double digits", and most likely does not have a magic score that is as high as his initiate grade. because magic is expensive to raise.

You can't have an initiate grade higher than magic, and dragons ARE the Gods of the Shadowrun world, with Horrors as the legions of hell. Unless I've missed something. And "high double digits" could mean anything - 19-99. Although yes, that's what I've heard although I've never seen him described or pictured with age lines as in Dusk. It probably costs less for Dragons and IE's to raise their magic, too, since it's an integral part of them rather than a tack on as it is with Metahumanity.
Uthred
QUOTE (Hagga @ Aug 31 2009, 10:08 AM) *
And "high double digits" could mean anything - 19-99.

In common usage high double digits generally means at least 50+
Apathy
Wouldn't first generation dragons be a full two ages older than the IEs? That should be plenty of time to bump magic up from Harlequin's level (~50-90) into the triple digits.
otakusensei
It occurs to me that they might not want us to figure out a baseline on God-like magical power in a setting that won't publish stats on a main battle tank.
Neraph
QUOTE (Hagga @ Aug 31 2009, 04:08 AM) *
You can't have an initiate grade higher than magic, and dragons ARE the Gods of the Earthdawn world, with Horrors as the legions of hell. Unless I've missed something.

Fixed that for you. Horrors do not exist in Shadowrun, and we've shown how to kill even a Great Dragon on these boards with a 400 BP character.
Hagga
I forgot that RAW trumps intent and fluff. Silly me.

That said, horrors do exist; Darke pulled out something very much like Jethura, Aina's best friend was running around before dying to let more through, Thais is there, Aztlan is looking for more, there's a Corrupted dragon running Aztlan, Wraiths left right centre, others that escape me right now.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 1 2009, 03:07 PM) *
Fixed that for you. Horrors do not exist in Shadowrun, and we've shown how to kill even a Great Dragon on these boards with a 400 BP character.

Are we ignoring the Harlequin's Back adventure? And even if you are discounting it, there's been plenty of veiled references to Horrors in other books.
Neraph
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Sep 1 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Are we ignoring the Harlequin's Back adventure? And even if you are discounting it, there's been plenty of veiled references to Horrors in other books.

Veiled references and implications are like lingirie; no matter how sheer, she isn't nude.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2009, 01:16 AM) *
Veiled references and implications are like lingirie; no matter how sheer, she isn't nude.

It depends on the kind of lingerie silly.gif
otakusensei
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 2 2009, 11:16 PM) *

Ok, first off she doesn't have to be nude to be lewd. If you can see the goods the fabric might as well not be there. Same reason you don't wear those types of things down to the corner store.

When it come to horrors in Shadowrun; they look like horrors, they stalk like horrors, they corrupt the soul like horrors... They are horrors. What else could they be?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (otakusensei @ Sep 3 2009, 10:52 AM) *
Ok, first off she doesn't have to be nude to be lewd. If you can see the goods the fabric might as well not be there. Same reason you don't wear those types of things down to the corner store.

When it come to horrors in Shadowrun; they look like horrors, they stalk like horrors, they corrupt the soul like horrors... They are horrors. What else could they be?

\o me \o me \o pick me, I know this one...
pbangarth
QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 3 2009, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 3 2009, 07:24 AM) *
It depends on the kind of lingerie silly.gif

Sometimes it's better than nude:
[ Spoiler ]
Hocus Pocus
why am i so darned sexy?
Stahlseele
'cause you're delusional
Hocus Pocus
quite possible, but one would think the entire DS community is as well since everyone has voted me the most sexiest member even since i came here. Oh they'll deny it in the written word, but the ballot, and their heart of hearts cannot lie. Of this there is no doubt.
Bleifalke
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jun 14 2008, 05:45 PM) *
Hmmm

1. Whats really in Madagascar?

This:
[ Spoiler ]
Stahlseele
Bleifalke - Das hamburg mercenary
"Sure, ist das Ares Alpha das bessere Sturmgewehr. Aber mein rostiges AK bildet den besten Ton. Ich liebe AK97. Ich erhielt 12!"
[LINGUISTICS autosoft engaged]...
[processing]... [match detected]... [German->English protocol initiated]...
"Sure, the Ares Alpha is the better assault rifle. But my rusty AK makes the best sound. I love the AK97. I got 12!"

AUGH!
IT BURNS AND STINGS AND HURTS! x.x
Bleifalke
Haha is my BableFished german that bad? Can you Pm me the correct translation?
Stahlseele
Sure, no problem, you have a PM now.
Least i can do, if i can't contribute in a meaningfull way, is translate english>german/german>english and point out errors ^^
Krypter
Say, could someone tell me about this German Shadowrun: Into The Shadows CD...or whatsit? Is it a booklet? Cunning Linguasoft Engage!

http://www.pegasus.de/1461+M5cef3cd26f3.html
http://www.multimediaxis.de/showthread.php?t=107739

And why do the German SR books have such awesome covers?
Stahlseele
No, that's basically just a run on a disc, including printable handouts and mood music and the song of the main character of the run i think.
also, our covers are better because we are german.
Krypter
What does "a run on a disc" mean? An audio recording of a Shadowrun session? An audiobook?

And yes, I can see you're German. My condolences. wink.gif
RunnerPaul
QUOTE (Krypter @ Sep 8 2009, 08:15 PM) *
And why do the German SR books have such awesome covers?

Adam, could we get the German cover art for the next CGL reprint of Arsenal? I'd buy the hardcopy a second time for that art.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Krypter @ Sep 9 2009, 03:38 AM) *
What does "a run on a disc" mean? An audio recording of a Shadowrun session? An audiobook?

And yes, I can see you're German. My condolences. wink.gif

Aside from Dice, theRule-Books and your Characters, everything else should be on the Disc, if i understand that correctly.
Something like DUSK for Example, but in Electronic Form, including print-out-hand-outs, maps of Locations, Images to show stuff, Mood-Music and the Song sung by the main character.
Of course,i might be pretty off on this one.
Stalker-x
FUQ it for the first in a long time! wink.gif
I've got a question hopefully not to remain unanswered for long: Why did Catalyst pick the name "Dawn of the Artifacts" for the new adventure series? Even reading through the first of the four ("Dusk") hasn't provided me with any clues. (Besides DotA probably being an allusion to the Earthdawn connection... don't you think?)
Plus, why those funny titles? "Dusk", "Midnight", "Darkest Hour", and probably "Dawn"... Is that some lame rip-off taken from Stephenie Meyer or Robert Rodriguez?
I'm happy for every guess you can give me.

Best,
Stalker.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012