Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (the_real_elwood @ Dec 4 2008, 12:54 AM) *
The thing that slays me the most about the Shadowrun metaplot, is that there's probably nothing in the boxes, as none of the writers/developers have chosen to expand on that particular idea as of yet. And it just eats at me because the boxes are so mysterious, and I want to know whats in em so bad, but there's no answer until a developer decides to come up with one.

Runner:"So Ehran, what was in the box?"
Ehran: "I don't remember."

wink.gif

Guess the movie....
Ancient History
"That's the first thing the teach you."
Hagga
It WOULD explain a lot if there was an Immortal handbook.

"Lesson one. Be irritatingly mystical at all times. If a lynch mob isn't forming at a rumor of your presence, you're not doing the job right!"
Stalker-x
Non-native speaker Q biggrin.gif: What the heck are "NERPS"? Why do I keep on stumbling across the term and what do you use it for?
Neraph
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Dec 8 2008, 11:36 AM) *
Non-native speaker Q biggrin.gif: What the heck are "NERPS"? Why do I keep on stumbling across the term and what do you use it for?

Non-Essential Role-Playing Sssss (I forget the S; Substance?)
Stalker-x
Don't worry about the "s". Looks like that's actually not what I'm looking for frown.gif
Remember p. 37 in the Corporate Enclaves SB? There it says:

Mr. Cline is a test-marketed proven commodity designed to have a broad base appeal in a number of key demographics. The smiling face of the larger-than-life CEO of Horizon is quickly becoming a household name on the same level of NERPS.

Maybe one of you guys could explain that to me wink.gif
Fortune
NERPS traces its origins back to an in joke from the original FASA team ... Nothing Ever Really Pleases Steve.
the_real_elwood
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 8 2008, 01:07 PM) *
NERPS traces its origins back to an in joke from the original FASA team ... Nothing Ever Really Pleases Steve.

Wow, you really DO learn something new every day! All I knew is that in-game, NERPS is some generic product that's advertised everywhere, but there's no detail on what NERPS actually is.
Fortune
I think that's the point. Throughout Shadowrun's history, there has never been anything specific written about NERPS actually is. It's always been kept vague, as if it is a given that you know what they are, so you shouldn't need to be told.

NERPS for what ails you!
Ancient History
In this respect, NERPS is very much like slood.
Hagga
If a Nosferatu/Vampire?Banshee/Horse with regeneration/WHATEVER was killed in the middle of the day, and just left alone until sundown, would it still get a chance to regenerate? The wording of the power suggests so.
Cain
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 8 2008, 06:57 PM) *
In this respect, NERPS is very much like slood.

"It is said to be much easier to discover than fire, and only slightly harder to discover than water."
Matsci

What was Haze's "fascinating experiences with the Horizon image-making machine"?
Neraph
QUOTE (Hagga @ Dec 8 2008, 09:26 PM) *
If a Nosferatu/Vampire?Banshee/Horse with regeneration/WHATEVER was killed in the middle of the day, and just left alone until sundown, would it still get a chance to regenerate? The wording of the power suggests so.

You're not dead until you have a chance to regenerate, and you can't make a regeneration test while exposed to your allergy.

Technically, if a vampire takes 100P damage, as long as someone puts a toothpick in him before his next IP, he's not dead yet. Take him back to your medical facility, repair him with magic/first aid/medicine, then when you get the damage back down to manageable levels, remove the toothpick. That vampire just went to the brink and back (again).
Shadow
How do you make a magical nuke and who's idea was it?
Ancient History
Well, first you get some necronium...
Matsci
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Dec 9 2008, 09:53 PM) *
Well, first you get some necronium...

I though winternight used Orichalcum.
Stahlseele
that too, but you need something to channel the warp into the astral plane to get enough plasma
Ancient History
I was making a joke to the GURPS Technomancer book.
Stahlseele
and i was trying to combine in this order warhammer 40k, shadowrun and star trek O.o
Cain
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 9 2008, 03:21 PM) *
and i was trying to combine in this order warhammer 40k, shadowrun and star trek O.o

That would be corbomite. nyahnyah.gif
Sir_Psycho
Don't forget the flux capacitor.
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 9 2008, 05:21 PM) *
and i was trying to combine in this order warhammer 40k (warp), shadowrun (astral plane) and star trek (plasma) O.o

(emphasis added)
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Fortune @ Dec 8 2008, 09:53 PM) *
NERPS for what ails you!

NERPS !
THey're not just for breakfast any more.

(ad:original seattle source book pg101)

Troubled?
NERPS!
It's that simple.
(ad:original seattle source book pg58)

NERPS RULE!
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Dec 9 2008, 09:05 PM) *
Don't forget the flux capacitor.

And the watermelon!
Larsine
Don't ever try NERPS. Look what they did to my character:

http://squinkyproductions.deviantart.com/a...s-Life-96131077

He was fine for many years, improving his martial arts, but then things went downhill. He got a datajack (lost touch with his magic as a result), was mortally wounded (lost even more touch with hios magic, it was hard in the olden days), started using drugs (lost even more touch with magic), started becomming obsessed with material things. In the end he had nothing and ended his life in the gutters in Berlin.

All because of NERPS.

Lars
cyronc
QUOTE (SpasticTeapot @ Sep 7 2008, 09:11 PM) *
What the heck are you talking about?

well since i check these forums rather irregulary and this thread even less often, i dint stumble across your quote earlier, sorry.

to clarify my then-only-short-packed post:

our most beloved Shadowrun doomsday cult Winternight (Threats) had two major groups of toxic shamans within the awakened members:
the toxic wolf shamans (defilers [Magic in the Shadows], focused on combat/assault strikes/magical backup) who follow the fenris-like-aspect of the wolf totem and the toxic raven shamans (avengers [Magic in the Shadows], the schemers/leaders of the cult) of which Wednesday(iirc? or was his totem different?)(System Failure) was probaly the best known (at least by gamemasters).

the fluff text and rule section of Threats(pages 23 to 30) show the usage of Winternights God-/Berserker-Chips to brainwash the victims and indoctrinate them to the cult's goals.

now to the other stuff: as most of you will know there is the (in)famous/(un)popular (depends all on who you ask wink.gif ) link between Shadowrun and Earthdawn, where Earthdawn is the 4th world predecessor of our 5th more mundane world, which is followed up by the 6th world that is Shadowrun.
in Earthdawn Second Edition's Horror sourcebook Scourge Unending there is a female Horror called Cauthrunne (pages 13 to 15 gor fluff text, pages 31/32 for game information).

some of the parallels i noticed:

(ill put them within spoiler tags cause they are rather long)

[ Spoiler ]

wouldnt be the first group of people worshipping a horror (Nebis anyone ?)

whew, this should explain my NEBIS post, still hoping for AH and/or one of the DEVs to NEBIS this one. smile.gif

note that NEBIS didnt use any sr4 material since Winternight seems to NEBIS bit the dust in the events that NEBIS to the 4th NEBIS T_T

hope it was readable, sry that NEBIS suck at english NEBIS

NEBIS, NEBIS, NEBIS

#"$%&&/!ar67d@MnN3b!$11!!1^12

/nebis off

damn viruses wink.gif
Athanatos
QUOTE (treehugger @ Aug 22 2008, 11:01 AM) *
What are the leads concerning FastJack's meeting with Saeletra ? (Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice.)
Was the name mentioned elsewhere ?

I wouldn't be so certain that Saeletra is a she, it could be an elven name of either gender.

*almost used any gender, wouldn't that have confused the issue?!!* devil.gif
Hagga
Is there a fairly detailed description of the UCAS military running around anywhere? We're (the group) all scratching our heads on this one. Ranks, professions, etc.
Stalker-x
QUOTE (p. 52 @ Corporate Enclaves)
The Artificial Kidz, or A-Kidz, are stars of the hit show Gang Life and high-rating P2.0 personalities. Like the Steppin’ Wulfs, these kids are a booster gang. (emphasis mine)

What the heck is "booster gang" supposed to tell me? Do they have "boosted reflexes"? Are they "boosted" by a third party? Help, plz wink.gif
BRodda
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Jan 11 2009, 08:48 AM) *
What the heck is "booster gang" supposed to tell me? Do they have "boosted reflexes"? Are they "boosted" by a third party? Help, plz wink.gif

Booster gangs are small time gangs that get there cash by stealing (AKA boosting) stuff. Generally seen as being poser rich kids buy most REAL gangs.
Stalker-x
Hey, thanks! With this information, however, I wonder why the Steppin' Wulfs are considered a "booster gang" as well.
Also, I cannot see what the A-Kidz are actually "stealing" (aka "boosting" wink.gif). They get their money from Horizon for minor vandalism, a little bit of soap opera and posing in general.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Jan 11 2009, 08:48 AM) *

A "Booster gang" is one that uses a lot of augmentations and drugs to "boost" their members' natural abilities. (Not a gang that steals stuff as an income generator.)
BRodda
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Jan 11 2009, 10:21 AM) *
Hey, thanks! With this information, however, I wonder why the Steppin' Wulfs are considered a "booster gang" as well.
Also, I cannot see what the A-Kidz are actually "stealing" (aka "boosting" wink.gif). They get their money from Horizon for minor vandalism, a little bit of soap opera and posing in general.

Stealing is just where the term boosting comes from. They only sell very minor drugs and generally act they they are bad ass-gangers. They tend to be in better areas (middle lifestyle or better) and from decent families. None of them are homeless (unless by choice), none of them are hard up for cash, and almost ALL of them think that they are real gangbanging hard asses. Real gangers look at them the same way that the Bloods from O-Town would look at the "gangbangers" who live in Beverly Hills.
BRodda
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Jan 11 2009, 11:09 AM) *
A "Booster gang" is one that uses a lot of augmentations and drugs to "boost" their members' natural abilities. (Not a gang that steals stuff as an income generator.)

We always took the term "booster" to mean poser wannabe's. I have never really heard the term "booster gang" in any manner that is threatening to a runner. Booster gangs roam the schools and food courts of the world. They might use Jazz or Bad Billy might have a cyberarm, but combat skills are low.

The Holloweeners would be a booster gang by your definition.

Of course you right the rules so you win grinbig.gif
InfinityzeN
The term "Booster Gang" originally saw heavy use in the game Cyberpunk (especially Cyberpunk 2020) and was used to discribe gangs that were heavy into cyberware and performance enhancing drugs.

Mockery's page of Cyberpunk 2020 gang goodness

Here is a quick little excerpt from the page. The stuff writen there actually works just as good for Shadowrun as it does for CP2020.
[ Spoiler ]
Stalker-x
Now that were some useful responses! biggrin.gif Thank you all!
Hagga
The a-kidz are poser wannabes, though. Their description reads as thought you took Home and Away (or your countries Teen/Young Adult Soap Of Choice), hopped it up on PCP and gave the actors metal bodies and kleptomania.

Christ, most of them are corp runaways, and it says right there that most of it is soap opera.
Stalker-x
Still trying to make sense of Corporate Enclaves, so here's another one I could need some help with wink.gif
Context: The "reactions" of surface-mana with the strange kind of mana emanating from the Deep Lacuna, resulting in manastorms and all kinds of weirdness. At least that's what I think is referred to by "those flare-ups" in the following piece of shadowtalk:

QUOTE (p. 55 Corporate Enclaves)
> Dr. Rosemont mentioned the Fall didn’t cause any known metahuman victims, but there’s been repeated glimpses of survivors wondering lost in some strange landscapes during those flare-ups. Nothing’s ever come of it, but it makes you think.
> Skinny Dipper

(emphasis mine)

I don't really get what they want to tell me with that highlighted part of the first sentence. Has anybody figured out?
Hagga
Ghosts. Illusions. People who might have been trapped in the Alchera. Maybe it was a Kaer.
Stalker-x
Thanks!
And the "survivors wondering lost" thing - isn't there a spelling mistake or a grammatical one in there? I simply cannot wrap my mind around the grammar in this sentence, there must be something wrong with it.
Hagga
Wondering. Wandering.
Stalker-x
Thought so. So there was something fishy about it. Thank you! wink.gif
Stalker-x
Remind me to pay Mr. SysOp the rent for threadnapping the FUQ. biggrin.gif Once more with feeling!

QUOTE (p. 60 @ Corporate Enclaves)
Giri is the self-sacrificing devotion to duty and obligation
that fuels Neo-Tokyo. When a wageslave refuses to drink anything
but his megacorp’s beer, or your server at the local cyberclinic prac-
tically falls over themselves being formally polite to you until you
feel like they’re being a wiseass, or the bag runner for the local
gumi pulls one more job at er being on his feet for eighteen hours
straight, that’s giri. It’s giving a hundred percent, all the time.

Anybody willing to give me a quick-and-dirty paraphrase of "bag runner"?
Browncoatone
I remember reading in an ED book (not an SR reference I know, but a close cousin) that the so-called 'Immortal Elves' are actually dragon/elf hybrids that the dragons sired to run their estates for them (at least until the elves rebelled). That's why Harlequin told the Big D they were traditional enemies (for the life of me I can't remember where I read that) in one of their conversations. Now in this ED book there was reference to a dragon that was cast out of dragon society (such as it is) because this dragon had broken an agreement that all the dragons made not to sire any more offspring with the metahumans. So my questions:

1. Has anyone read anywhere any reference to non-elvish dragonkin or immortals? (I'm pretty sure that POST MORTEM stars two immortal elves slumming as non-elves rather than an actual example of non-elven immortality)

2. Are 'Immortal Elves' actually immortal or do they just live really long lives (like dragons?).

3. Are the offspring of 'Immortal Elves' also Immortal?

And most important of all:

4. Did anyone else see Sally Tsung in Penthouse magazine in the early 90's?

raggedhalo
QUOTE (Stalker-x @ Jan 12 2009, 03:05 PM) *
Anybody willing to give me a quick-and-dirty paraphrase of "bag runner"?

Presumably like a bag man, AKA running man, someone who collects protection money on behalf of organised crime...
raggedhalo
QUOTE (Browncoatone @ Jan 13 2009, 05:16 AM) *

Jane "Frosty" Foster, daughter of Ehran the Scribe, says yes...
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2008, 01:57 PM) *
- Is Summer Blossom Hestaby?

Jog my memory on the Summer Blossom reference. I'm not sure if I'm getting it confused with another secret or not. wink.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Browncoatone @ Jan 13 2009, 11:16 AM) *
I remember reading in an ED book (not an SR reference I know, but a close cousin) that the so-called 'Immortal Elves' are actually dragon/elf hybrids that the dragons sired to run their estates for them (at least until the elves rebelled). That's why Harlequin told the Big D they were traditional enemies (for the life of me I can't remember where I read that) in one of their conversations. Now in this ED book there was reference to a dragon that was cast out of dragon society (such as it is) because this dragon had broken an agreement that all the dragons made not to sire any more offspring with the metahumans. So my questions:

1. Has anyone read anywhere any reference to non-elvish dragonkin or immortals? (I'm pretty sure that POST MORTEM stars two immortal elves slumming as non-elves rather than an actual example of non-elven immortality)

2. Are 'Immortal Elves' actually immortal or do they just live really long lives (like dragons?).

And most important of all:

4. Did anyone else see Sally Tsung in Penthouse magazine in the early 90's?

1. wasn't ryan mercury human before he became a drake? are drakes immortal too?

2. they die like you and me, if you put enough lead into one. they just don't age or get sick.

3. all signs point to yes

4. sadly, no. find us some pictures for future references please ^^
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Browncoatone @ Jan 13 2009, 06:16 AM) *

AH has a great essay floating around on DS where he explains this.

They are immune to aging and disease and toxins... but yes, bullets or being digested by a dragon still makes 'em dead.

Not all of them. Harlequin's adventure details this...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012