Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Custodius
Fortune, Thank you for the concise answers. I appreciate it.

And she may not have, it is a half remembered reference. But I know it had something to do with that pair and Crater Lake.
Ryu
At crater lake she banished his father, creating a mana spike.
Custodius
Ah! I knew she banished -someone-. Thank you.

Was that spike smoothed out by the Dragon Heart, or as large as the GGD's?
Ancient History
Well, right now Crater Lake is actually a mana ebb, and there were weird things involving floating buildings and whatnot even before Ysrthgrathe was banished. Of course, Crater Lake is also part of the network of manalines and power sites on the Ring of Fire that helped support the floating isle of Mu. So yeah, draw your own conclusions. smile.gif
Custodius
A Mana Ebb? Like a Fovae, Magical 'dead spot'?

Ancient History
Yeah, but there's a gradient now. Negative background count.
Custodius
I don't mean to be dense, but when you say negative background count, that leads one to think it offers negitive TN modifiers to spellcasting, as opposed to normal BG count which offers a positive modifier. A BG Count of 2 would be a +2 TN on all spell casting in that area, while a negative BG count would seem to suggest a -2 TN to all spell-casting, making it 'easier'.

Is this what you mean to suggest?
Stahlseele
in Shadowrun4, there is no TN anymore, just number of successes and DP-Mods
as long as the Background is not aspected to your tradition, every background is basically negative background, as every background reduces magic by it's level
difference between background count and shallows/fovae being, that one overlaps anything else magically(count) and one sucks everything magically up(shallow)
two different things that basically do the same to your magic . . like a knife stabbing you or a gun shooting you, both will hurt you and you won't like either one.
at least, that's how i understand that . .
Custodius
Ahh. I've not picked up SR4. I still dwell (And will for some time to come) in the world of SR3. It's a world I know well.

Also: Another Question.

What has become of the Draco Foundation, with the disappearance of Ms. Daviar, in 2070?

Is the Draco Foundation still a major player? I imagine the public portions of the will were only a small portion of his actual desires, and its known what he gave out was only a fraction of his wealth.
Stahlseele
still going, what with more drakes and the such coming to light.
and in SR3, shallows and backgroundcount BOTH raised the TN for magic too . . by different means, maybe, but notheless the same . . if the count was not aspected at least . .
Custodius
That of course, begs the question: Who the hell was Daviar? Her eastern European leanings would seem to hint at a Barsave link, but I've never found any link between her and any immortal elves or such as the like. She was far too powerful, I think, to have been a simple normal elf, for Dunk to have trusted her so much as to leave the vast bulk of his estate to her. A big production was made of the mystery of her origins.

She had a romance, some say, with Ryan Mercury, a drake. Is it possible she was one of Dunkelzahn's drakes and simply kept it secret? Why would the Vice President of the UCAS (And presumed President!) and Chairman of the board of one of the most powerful charitable foundation simply run away?
Tiger Eyes
What has become of the Draco Foundation, with the disappearance of Ms. Daviar, in 2070?

Is the Draco Foundation still a major player? I imagine the public portions of the will were only a small portion of his actual desires, and its known what he gave out was only a fraction of his wealth.

Oh! Oh! I...

Nevermind. AH? You want this one? wink.gif
Custodius
Hey, if you have insight more than was offered, I'm all about hearing it.

Ancient History
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Nov 11 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Oh! Oh! I...

You sound like you're having a secret orgasm over there. A secregasm.
Fortune
I thought a secregasm was a secretary's private pleasure.
Ancient History
Not since the cameras went in.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 17 2008, 04:18 PM) *
It's been referred to in DidS and DidS 2. Whether it's also made it's way into Germany SB is something I don't know.

In the orginal German SB, it is the former country of Luxembourg, and a piece of nearby territory. I checked my copy of the book.
Tachi
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie role tootsie-pop? And don't say 3, that fucking owl cheated man. wobble.gif
Hagga
QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Nov 11 2008, 02:09 AM) *
Oh! Oh! I...

Spill your guts! Spill your guts!
Tachi
Will the 6th world drakes become dragons in the 8th world? A good nap can be very refreshing you know.

QUOTE (Tiger Eyes @ Nov 10 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Oh! Oh! I...

Yes, please, spill your guts. *Whips out knife* Don't make me do it for you. biggrin.gif
Fortune
No. Drakes were originally created by Great Dragonkind as they appear now to act as servants. Since Drakes haves existed through both an entire high and entire low mana cycles, what you see is what you get.
Tiger Eyes
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 11 2008, 08:26 AM) *
Yes, please, spill your guts. *Whips out knife* Don't make me do it for you. biggrin.gif

There might be some information on the Draco Foundation in an upcoming campaign series...

Or, as Peter is fond of saying: "if the name isn't a dead giveaway you haven't been running the shadows for long enough"
fistandantilus4.0
Tease.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (JonathanC @ Sep 8 2008, 06:56 AM) *
Is there any reason to buy a Colt Manhunter, when the Ares Predator IV is so clearly superior?

Why did it take Ares Arms 20 years to build a predator that was a superior weapon to the Colt Manhunter, when they OWN Colt as a subsidiary?
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 28 2008, 02:57 AM) *
- Who is Jungle Cat? And what is he?

- Is Summer Blossom Hestaby?

No, but Summer Glau might be
Ancient History
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 12 2008, 04:56 PM) *
Why did it take Ares Arms 20 years to build a predator that was a superior weapon to the Colt Manhunter, when they OWN Colt as a subsidiary?

It's all a scam to make money.
Kremlin KOA
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 13 2008, 12:21 AM) *
It's all a scam to make money.

EVERYTHING a corp does is a scam to make money

and Sorry for being away for so long guys
Ryu
DonĀ“t worry about your reduced post history, the posts themselves are fine, and at least I remember a user with that name. wink.gif
Hagga
Is Daniel Howling Coyote Man-of-Many-Names?
Fortune
No.
Hagga
What DID happen to Howling Coyote, then?

Have there been any hints, anywhere, at all, as to who Many Names is? He is hilarious. And irritatingly mystical.
Fortune
I am not quite sure, as it's been a long time since I read it, but didn't Daniel Howling Coyote die during the performance of the second Great Ghost Dance?
Cain
I believe Fortune is correct.
Hagga
Didn't even know there was a second.

How embarassing.
Cain
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 12 2008, 08:15 AM) *
- Who is Jungle Cat? And what is he?

- Is Summer Blossom Hestaby?

No, but Summer Glau might be

No fair! You know that Hestaby is really Anita Bryant. biggrin.gif

Didn't even know there was a second.

It was in the original trilogy, which is extremely out of print nowadays. You can pick up copies on Ebay, sometimes.
Stahlseele
i have it ^^
Sam(uel) Twist Verner wanted to use the 2nd party to cure his sister from being a wendigo.
but in reality, it was used to stop nukes from going kaboom somehow, and hindering the spider totem which werner had freed on an earlier try at curing his sister
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 19 2008, 04:35 PM) *
It was in the original trilogy, which is extremely out of print nowadays. You can pick up copies on Ebay, sometimes.

I've been going back and buying the old novels so I could do a huge reading marathon of all of the novels (46 total, and that's just in the english. I'll try to read the extra 20-some-odd German novels when I feel motivated enough to get my Deutsch vocabulary up to snuff again). I check Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon, and between the 3 sites I can find every novel I want for around 3-5 dollars a novel. The only problem is that they are all used (save for this pristine copy of "Into the Shadows" I just picked up) and some sellers send the wrong books, or don't send them at all because their inventory system sucks ass. I've had 3 mis-haps so far trying to get the first ten books.

First, a seller didn't even send the book, even though he claimed to do it. It could have been the mail system, but a lot of times I know sellers to not send a sold item when they learn that they really didn't have it in the first place, and pass it off as a mail system failure. If you press the matter, they'll give you a refund, like I got. It isn't worth the loss in Rep if you chew them out, so they'll just give you the money back (especially when they know they're wrong, which they won't admit because then they'll take a hit on their ranking).

Second, someone gave a refund and apologized because the book was water damaged in their warehouse and totally screwed up. No problems there.

Third, someone sent me a completely wrong book (not even a Shadowrun book, but a book from a series called Ravenloft). They said they'd send the right one, but I doubt that it will get resolved properly without a refund.

What it comes down to is that old print media is easy to get a hold of, but you'll have to put up with some head aches because most of the sellers and buyers of old print novels and media don't have adequate storage facilities or inventory systems. Things get mis-labeled, things get lost, and things sometimes just don't ever exist but they'll try to sell it anyways. Hell, I worked in a furniture warehouse for 2 years, If things as big as a couch or Fridge can go missing, than things as tiny as a paperback are doomed.

Ancient History
QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Nov 20 2008, 02:49 PM) *
(save for this pristine copy of "Into the Shadows" I just picked up)

First version or second version?
Neraph
QUOTE (Tachi @ Nov 11 2008, 03:38 AM) *
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie role tootsie-pop? And don't say 3, that fucking owl cheated man. wobble.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uyJInhqZOA
Stahlseele
QUOTE (TKDNinjaInBlack @ Nov 20 2008, 02:49 PM) *
I've been going back and buying the old novels so I could do a huge reading marathon of all of the novels (46 total, and that's just in the english. I'll try to read the extra 20-some-odd German novels when I feel motivated enough to get my Deutsch vocabulary up to snuff again). I check Ebay, Half.com, and Amazon, and between the 3 sites I can find every novel I want for around 3-5 dollars a novel. The only problem is that they are all used (save for this pristine copy of "Into the Shadows" I just picked up) and some sellers send the wrong books, or don't send them at all because their inventory system sucks ass. I've had 3 mis-haps so far trying to get the first ten books.

First, a seller didn't even send the book, even though he claimed to do it. It could have been the mail system, but a lot of times I know sellers to not send a sold item when they learn that they really didn't have it in the first place, and pass it off as a mail system failure. If you press the matter, they'll give you a refund, like I got. It isn't worth the loss in Rep if you chew them out, so they'll just give you the money back (especially when they know they're wrong, which they won't admit because then they'll take a hit on their ranking).

Second, someone gave a refund and apologized because the book was water damaged in their warehouse and totally screwed up. No problems there.

Third, someone sent me a completely wrong book (not even a Shadowrun book, but a book from a series called Ravenloft). They said they'd send the right one, but I doubt that it will get resolved properly without a refund.

What it comes down to is that old print media is easy to get a hold of, but you'll have to put up with some head aches because most of the sellers and buyers of old print novels and media don't have adequate storage facilities or inventory systems. Things get mis-labeled, things get lost, and things sometimes just don't ever exist but they'll try to sell it anyways. Hell, I worked in a furniture warehouse for 2 years, If things as big as a couch or Fridge can go missing, than things as tiny as a paperback are doomed.

right now, i own all of the 84 shadowrun novels in german. or more, i think one or two buddies have one or two of them each.
and yes, i have read them all. .
and no, i don't think the latter german novels are worth it really . .
if i ever manage to part with the collection, you get first offer.
Tachi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 20 2008, 10:35 AM) *

rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif rotfl.gif
TKDNinjaInBlack
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Nov 20 2008, 08:15 AM) *
First version or second version?

The second version (as far as I can tell. It's labeled as book 7, which according to wikipedia means that it is the reprint of the anthology and not the original).
Fortune
Yeah, that's the second version (with a different opening chapter). The first version of the book was oversized for a paperback, and was released around the same time as the original BBB.
ialdabaoth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 17 2008, 04:09 PM) *
How much wood can an AWAKENED Woodchuck chuck?

([Agility + Essence + 2] vs the tree's Object Resistance) cords per hour.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Fortune @ Nov 23 2008, 08:57 PM) *
Yeah, that's the second version (with a different opening chapter). The first version of the book was oversized for a paperback, and was released around the same time as the original BBB.

then i guess i have the first one?
slightly larger, wider and thicker than usual, fugly shade of violet with small picture?
Fortune
Sounds right. The first version is larger, has no book number (i.e. #7), and the first chapter is identical to the first chapter of the first book from the Secrets of Power trilogy.
Meriss
Here's a random one. After flipping through Unwired, I thought, "Whatever happened to ShadowNet?" I mean ya the Cap is dead and all but the infrastructure and such is there, right? (Well mostly depends on how bad those systems were fried in Crash 2.0) Were there any actual nodes for ShadowNet or was it all stolen bandwidth?

Oh and I know we're loooooong past it, but I finally figured it out. Double Tuesday is a derivation of Super Tuesday. Thus a Double Tuesday would occur whenever the UCAS and the CAS have an election on the same day. Now I gotta know whats in those boxes. Rigged ballots?

Ancient History, You, me. Bank run. Bring a gun.
Cain
QUOTE (Meriss @ Dec 3 2008, 06:35 PM) *
Here's a random one. After flipping through Unwired, I thought, "Whatever happened to ShadowNet?" I mean ya the Cap is dead and all but the infrastructure and such is there, right? (Well mostly depends on how bad those systems were fried in Crash 2.0) Were there any actual nodes for ShadowNet or was it all stolen bandwidth?

Taken over by Jackpoint. frown.gif

Oh and I know we're loooooong past it, but I finally figured it out. Double Tuesday is a derivation of Super Tuesday. Thus a Double Tuesday would occur whenever the UCAS and the CAS have an election on the same day. Now I gotta know whats in those boxes. Rigged ballots?

Not likely. There's another reference to a similar box, in the opening to Harlequin. Somehow, rigged ballots from medieval Europe don't sound quite right.
Ancient History
QUOTE (Cain @ Dec 4 2008, 03:46 AM) *
Taken over by Jackpoint. frown.gif

Actually, Shadowland is still up and running...in Seattle they just call it Dark Emerald.

Not likely. There's another reference to a similar box, in the opening to Harlequin. Somehow, rigged ballots from medieval Europe don't sound quite right.

<sigh> We all know that box has Ehran's personal Immortal Elf slash fanfic, which is why he wanted it burned unopened. Harlequin's boxes are completely different.
the_real_elwood
The thing that slays me the most about the Shadowrun metaplot, is that there's probably nothing in the boxes, as none of the writers/developers have chosen to expand on that particular idea as of yet. And it just eats at me because the boxes are so mysterious, and I want to know whats in em so bad, but there's no answer until a developer decides to come up with one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012