Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Ryu
If you have time to kill, use the list of topics made by user AniH to find a specific work of his.The Alamaise Conspiracy 3.0
Cain
1. Has anyone read anywhere any reference to non-elvish dragonkin or immortals? (I'm pretty sure that POST MORTEM stars two immortal elves slumming as non-elves rather than an actual example of non-elven immortality)

I recall hearing a reference to an immortal ork somewhere, but I can't recall where for the life of me.
3. Are the offspring of 'Immortal Elves' also Immortal?

Not necessarily. Some are, like Frosty. Others may not be. Apparently, it's a particular gene; and like all genes, it may or may not get passed down.
Browncoatone
QUOTE (Kremlin KOA @ Nov 12 2008, 08:15 AM) *
No, but Summer Glau might be

Are you sure you're not thinking of River Tamm?
Hagga
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 13 2009, 08:38 PM) *
I recall hearing a reference to an immortal ork somewhere, but I can't recall where for the life of me.

Not necessarily. Some are, like Frosty. Others may not be. Apparently, it's a particular gene; and like all genes, it may or may not get passed down.

A good example is that snotty little bastard Glasgian. It's heavily implied (although not confirmed) that he didn't get his Father's immortality gene. I think I remember someone talking about his past illnesses, so that's a plus.

Out of curiousity - who was Urdli aligned with in the 4th world?
Stahlseele
the immortal ork was in one of the earlier magic worlds, probably earthdawn.
he basically stole each day from death to stay alive, as far as i understood . .
Cain
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 13 2009, 03:09 PM) *
A good example is that snotty little bastard Glasgian. It's heavily implied (although not confirmed) that he didn't get his Father's immortality gene. I think I remember someone talking about his past illnesses, so that's a plus.

Considering that IIRC, he became dragon chow, I don't think we'll ever find out. nyahnyah.gif
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 13 2009, 08:13 AM) *
Jog my memory on the Summer Blossom reference. I'm not sure if I'm getting it confused with another secret or not. wink.gif

I did a little quick research, and yes, I was thinking of Sunset Blossom. Which is another mystery. ninja.gif
fctarbox3
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 13 2009, 07:09 PM) *
Out of curiousity - who was Urdli aligned with in the 4th world?

Given that he's a maori elf... my vote is "no one we know." He prolly met up with the other IE during the Age of Exploration.
Ancient History
QUOTE (fctarbox3 @ Jan 14 2009, 01:11 AM) *
Given that he's a maori elf... my vote is "no one we know." He prolly met up with the other IE during the Age of Exploration.

He's not Maori, he's suggested to be Australian aborigine. I suspect a possible Theran colony.
Grinder
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 14 2009, 12:27 AM) *
the immortal ork was in one of the earlier magic worlds, probably earthdawn.
he basically stole each day from death to stay alive, as far as i understood . .

Garlthik One-Eye, the ruler of Kratas.
Ryu
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Jan 14 2009, 02:50 AM) *
He's not Maori, he's suggested to be Australian aborigine. I suspect a possible Theran colony.

I would have put him into the Uluru/Ayer´s Rock camp. (Not a contradiction.)
Hagga
As a rule, weren't the IE's antagonistic towards the Therans? Why was Urdli screaming OMG THERA I LURVE YOU like a 15 year old girl at Twilight?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 14 2009, 09:01 AM) *
As a rule, weren't the IE's antagonistic towards the Therans? Why was Urdli screaming OMG THERA I LURVE YOU like a 15 year old girl at Twilight?

Not necessarily, it depends on the affiliation the elf in question had. Thera had plenty of elves in its ruling class.
Hagga
Immortals?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 14 2009, 10:29 AM) *
Immortals?

Hard to say, they didn't really advertise their mortality or immortality. But the Heavenherds have been linked to immortals and the Heavenherds come from Thera.
Hagga
Call me crazy, but I'm fairly sure most of the immortal elves were fairly conspicuous once you knew what and who to look for. Alright, the named immortals in current fluff - historically not very fond of Thera?
Demonseed Elite
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 14 2009, 05:05 PM) *
Alright, the named immortals in current fluff - historically not very fond of Thera?

That's fair to say. But for an example, it's believed that Leonardo's (the immortal elf, not the Renaissance painter) Fourth World persona was Leonarus, a Theran.
Cain
QUOTE (Demonseed Elite @ Jan 14 2009, 06:40 PM) *
That's fair to say. But for an example, it's believed that Leonardo's (the immortal elf, not the Renaissance painter) Fourth World persona was Leonarus, a Theran.

There's some debate over rather or not Leonardo was *that* Leonardo as well.
Hagga
I think Harlequin confirmed it in one of the 3e books and hinted at it in Aztlan. Not out and out, but something along the lines of "He's done Venice and Milan, after all. He bores easily." and then something a few lines later.
Dexim
QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 14 2009, 08:30 PM) *
I think Harlequin confirmed it in one of the 3e books and hinted at it in Aztlan. Not out and out, but something along the lines of "He's done Venice and Milan, after all. He bores easily." and then something a few lines later.

The exchange between Lofwyr and Leonardo at the end of Technobabel suggests that he isn't though.
Cain
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 14 2009, 06:49 PM) *
There's some debate over rather or not Leonardo was *that* Leonardo as well.

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jan 14 2009, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE (Dexim @ Jan 14 2009, 10:49 PM) *
The exchange between Lofwyr and Leonardo at the end of Technobabel suggests that he isn't though.

And now we see why there's "some debate" over it. I tend to subscribe to the theory that they're one and the same, but it could go either way.
Athanatos
Actually, I believe it mentions somewhere that Leonardo looks similar, but doesn't look as old as Leonardo De' Vinci. While this could be the use of a Physical mask spell, I was under the impression that maybe "that Leonardo" might have been his non-immortal non-elven son. It seems likely that he might have made quite an impression on his son and then, after his son's death, taken his place?
Ryu
Either Leons are IMO personae of Brightlight. Accomplished caster of light magic, master of the optical cyberdeck, he who knows everything he chooses to.
Matsci
So, why have none of the Mega built a space elevator yet?
Stahlseele
cost/gain-Ratio unfavorable.
What profit could they make of it?
You can reach orbit with those Ballistic planes, you don't even need a spess shuttle . .
Also, Ares bought NASA and i guess they would not look too fondly at someone playing in their sandbox O.o
Eurotroll
QUOTE (Matsci @ Feb 4 2009, 06:37 PM) *

I imagine it's because when it comes down (and with the level of inter-AAA sabotage going on, that is indeed a when, not an if) the damage it'll do is incalculable. Only way I could see it work is if were a CC-controlled collaborative effort, but... yeah. Collaboration isn't exactly typical for megacorps.

That's just me reaching for a no-prize, though.
Stahlseele
who cares about the risk of damage if there's profit to gain?
there is simply not profit to gain from something like that, maybe a little prestige, but nothng more . .
Matsci
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 4 2009, 09:57 AM) *
who cares about the risk of damage if there's profit to gain?
there is simply not profit to gain from something like that, maybe a little prestige, but nothng more . .

Uh, Lifting costs? It takes the same amount of energy to lift something into orbit, no matter how you do it. Space planes have about 50% energy effecieny, the Corporate Cort Railgun has about 90% but can't lift somethings due to G-forces. An elevator could lift at 90%+ efficiency and lift about everything, and generate power on the way down. Carrying stuff, like resources mined by drones in the asteroid belt.
Grinder
QUOTE (Matsci @ Feb 4 2009, 06:37 PM) *

They try (in Kenya), but it proves to be more difficult then expected.
Matsci
QUOTE (Grinder @ Feb 4 2009, 10:16 AM) *
They try (in Kenya), but it proves to be more difficult then expected.

I thought the Kenya project was the railgun.
Catsnightmare
QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 15 2008, 08:51 PM) *
How fast would a para-woodchuck chuck you if you put your hand near it's mouth?

You can ask Mayor Bloomberg, he knows.
Wesley Street
Given the political instability and daily violence in the equatorial region (or any region for that matter!) of the Sixth World, a space elevator would be an unlikely undertaking, megacorp or no. The mass driver on Kilimanjaro is already a focus of attacks from local spirits and shamans. A 144,000 kilometer cable would simply make too tasty a target for a terrorist group or a dragon with a burr up its egg sac. Sever that cable and, while it would be slow at first, Earth's gravity would eventually take over. Imagine a cable with the thickness of a building collapsing to the ground while the planet rotates. It would wrap itself around the planet 10+ times, and moving faster than the speed of sound. It would cause unprecedented destruction. Good luck explaining that to your shareholders.

By 2070 Earth is still making baby-steps into space with its orbitals and limited planetary exploration. Until the rest of the planet gets its shit together, a space elevator in the Sixth World would be a pipe dream.
BishopMcQ
QUOTE (Synner)
In the interest of healthy speculation, here's an FYI to bring you up to speed:

Fact: A space elevator project is underway in the Sixth World (if you missed it check Runner Havens again).
Fact: Two possible areas have been suggested as likely for the terminus - neither is remotely near NYC. (Runner Havens, again)
Fact: Several companies are retasking factories to produce buckytubes/carbon nanotubules (you guessed it, Runner Havens, but also Corporate Enclaves)
Fact: A near-earth orbit asteroid is already being moved into local orbit by a Triple A consortium. (in Emergence).

Why hasn't everyone been paying more attention to this macro engineering project? Good question. Now: discuss.

Original thread can be found by Search: Space Elevator.
Wesley Street
Huh. Forgot about that post. Well, slap my face and call me pink (Runner Havens, pg 123):

>Well, Universal Omnitech and its old friends Aztechnology still have common interests. After their merger UO picked up several macro-engineering companies and a couple of aerospace ones. Meanwhile, the Azzies have been showing an inordinate interest in Panama. Equatorial positioning, AAA megacorp, aerospace design, carbon nanotubes ... methinks we're looking at a space elevator project to compete with the Kilimanjaro catapult. I'd keep an ear out for an asteroid snatch operation next.
>The Smiling Bandit

>No need. I can confirm that such an operation is already underway.
> Orbital DK

That's just keeeerrraaazy! silly.gif
Stahlseele
i still want an updated SHADOWRUN: IIN SPAACEE! Source-Book dealing with exactly this thematic . . Free Floating Stations, Moon-Bases, MArs-Explorations, Asteroid-Snatching and Ground-Operations . . Maybe another Book: RUNNING NEW ATLANTIS dealing completely with under water acrologies and such stuff . . i guess we will have to wait for strange places or whatever . .
Hagga
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Feb 4 2009, 09:00 PM) *
Huh. Forgot about that post. Well, slap my face and call me pink (Runner Havens, pg 123):

That's just keeeerrraaazy! silly.gif

They're terraforming mars, too.
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Hagga @ Feb 4 2009, 08:42 PM) *

Yeah, but didn't the martians revolt? alien.gif
Matsci
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Feb 4 2009, 07:24 PM) *
Yeah, but didn't the martians revolt? alien.gif

Evo can put down a bunch of bacteria.
Sir_Psycho
Did we ever find out what the "biowarfare" attack that killed over a thousand Salish-Shidhe Council Rangers during the Salish/Tsimshian conflict? Also, was that conflict ever resolved? Was there some-one pulling Tsimshian's strings or was it just to get a wartime economy happening?
The Neutronium Alchemist
I know what's in the boxes:

[ Spoiler ]
Wesley Street
QUOTE (Hagga @ Feb 4 2009, 08:42 PM) *

Aztechnology or Evo? I thought Evo was the only corporation with an office on Mars.
The Neutronium Alchemist
Need to know what's going on on Mars? Check out Google Mars
Kanada Ten
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Feb 4 2009, 10:02 PM) *
Did we ever find out what the "biowarfare" attack that killed over a thousand Salish-Shidhe Council Rangers during the Salish/Tsimshian conflict? Also, was that conflict ever resolved? Was there some-one pulling Tsimshian's strings or was it just to get a wartime economy happening?

The SS-Council ends up absorbing the Tsimshian Nation. But I don't know about the weapon.
JFixer
WTH ever happened to Verjigorm? We going to see that billy bad-monkey make a reappearance?
Hagga
QUOTE (Wesley Street @ Feb 5 2009, 03:45 PM) *
Aztechnology or Evo? I thought Evo was the only corporation with an office on Mars.

Don't know. It's mentioned in a throwaway comment by Orbital DK in the header of some corporation I can't remember.
Grinder
QUOTE (JFixer @ Feb 5 2009, 11:26 PM) *
WTH ever happened to Verjigorm? We going to see that billy bad-monkey make a reappearance?

Not unless the magic level is high enough to allow for his manifestation in the world. And that is only possible at the height of mana level, which is some thousand years away.
The ubbergeek
Why Evo in Russia, really? Was the small distance for moving that important, geopolitic and offers from 'local interests' so good? Because, for racism/specieism (and Yamatetsu/Evo go for the metahumanity goods market), Russia is not any better than Japan... I really doubt the 'ubernationalists' and the orthodox ultraconservatives are any happy to see Evo on Mother Russia's land, especially after all that happened in Siberia...

Before the Age of Dragons, the 2nd World, there was the 1st one... Was that really the first world or just the earliest days memorised by... whatever could remember or wrote down notes? Is earth younger than Fifth World sciences said, was there creationism, or.... Chtulu Mythos-style lost history...
Hagga
Draconic creation myth states that the horrors ruled the 1st world, Dayheart kicked them in the testicles and caused the mana cycle to begin.
The ubbergeek
Another Evo one...

What is Buttercup's interest in a megacorpo, anyway? 'She' is acting all young-girl-cool, not the kind to be interested in a serious, dark matter as that daily. Other than her machinations, anyway.

Would that be 'Helping metahumanity'? It's a megacorpo as the others, just capturing an uncared for market. So... What is the chibi sprite's plans?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012