Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frequently Unanswered Questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Ancient History
Inspiration strikes!

No, seriously, what are your most Frequently Unanswered Questions about SR? The really old ones, not the new ones from the last release that people whine about on the forums two seconds after they download the first PDF and which continues until the FAQ updates three times or a corrective errata comes out.
BishopMcQ
Nukes--do they work, do they not work? I've heard the pre-GGD nukes don't work, but any nuke made post-GGD does.
CanRay
Did Kane ever get his Girl out of that Aztlan lockup?
FrankTrollman
  • What happened to Hatchetman?
  • How did troll bones get there?
  • Do humans have souls in Shadowrun?
  • What's going on at the Lagrange points? Especially 3?
  • What does Inti Jiwana actually want?
  • Where do griffins come from?
  • What's the structure under the ice in the Antarctic?

-Frank
Prime Mover
Hmmm

1. Whats really in Madagascar?
2. Whats up with the CZ that the big D ended up in?
3. What the FRAG really happened in the Tir and were are all the bigwig elves now? (What are they doing
now with no country they spent eons prepping for?)
WeaverMount
How were the civilizations of the 4th age so completely lost? You would think language and stories would have endured even if all infrastructure collapsed. I'm even a little ok with corpses of non-human name givers reverting or degrading, but what about completely mundane fossils and artifacts they would have left behind. Do we just have to suspend disbelieve here?

-----
Edit: FAQ-FUQ!!
>What's the structure under the ice in the Antarctic?
Do you know much more than you mentioned here

>What's going on at the Lagrange points? Especially 3?
What makes you think there is something especially fun at 3? Is it just that it's far off?

>What does Inti Jiwana actually want?
Who is this at all?
[/quote]
Prime Mover
IRC Inti Jiwana and another dragon were mentioned in Runners Havens as power players in Atzlan? Don't have books in front of me right now. Frank and others have mentioned them on board here before as well.
Ryu
Who is He-Who-Howls-Under-A-Moonless-Sky?
Sticks
What happened to Liam O Connor ?

Who flew the Nightwraiths ?

What shadows lurk in the hearts of men ???
RunnerPaul
Did medical science ever determine exactly why the Program Carrier implant causes brain cancer?
Mordinvan
Its it possible to predict the outcome of any plan involving a microwave and a nondairy creamer?
masterofm
What really happened to Dunky? What is that ghost dragon that came out of nowhere sometime after his death all about and what is it really?
Kithran
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 14 2008, 04:19 PM) *
  • What happened to Hatchetman?
  • How did troll bones get there?

Have they definitely been confirmed to be troll bones?
  • Do humans have souls in Shadowrun?
  • What's going on at the Lagrange points? Especially 3?
  • What does Inti Jiwana actually want?
  • Where do griffins come from?

Whats special about griffins?

Which book is this mentioned in?

-Frank

FrankTrollman
    Inti Jiwana is mentioned (not by name) in Aztlan. He's a powerful dragon who works with Aztlan. He's named in Augmentation.

The stuff under the ice is discussed in Target: Wastelands. As of that writing, they hadn't gotten down to it yet. No word in subsequent books as to whether that has changed.

Griffins have six limbs and are not descended from any apparent Earthly life form. The same can be said of a number of other animals in the Sixth World, and I'm sure you can think of a few.

-Frank
    WeaverMount
    Frank I think I actually have little bit of a answer. You likely know all this

L1
    QUOTE (Target: Wastelands, Wake of the Comet)
    Treffpunkt Raumhafen is a Proteus AG space station, located at L1 (an unstable Lagrange point, between Earth and the Moon) in the Earth-Moon system. The name roughly translates from German as "Meeting place space port".

The station was kept secret while under construction. Proteus AG made a very public bid for one of the rewards in Dunkelzahn's Will, and while everyone was concentrating on that, were quietly sending up construction materials from their Devil's Island Arcology.

The station became fully operational in early 2062. It is used for general zero-g research and development, as well as black research projects. Space on the station is also leased to AG Chemie Europa, Transys Neuronet and ECC Eurotronics.

L3
    QUOTE (Target: Wastelands (p. 84))
    Helios is the only known manned space station beyond lunar orbit. It is owned by Ares Macrotechnology, and sits at the "L3" solar LaGrange point directly opposite of the Earth in solar orbit. The purpose of the space station is unknown (although it is suspected to be a launch platform for future deep space missions and a deep space observatory), and Ares has kept the project under wraps.

QUOTE (Target: Wastelands (p. 84))
    Nerva is a space station at the L3 LaGrange Point. Harris-3M built it before 2027, using the station for zero-gravity research, though some believe Harris was conducting black projects onboard. The Crash Virus of 2029 shut down Nerva, killing all aboard. When Fuchi purchased Harris-3M's assets, the megacorporation chose to not to salvage Nerva. So the station is currently an inoperational hulk.

L5
    QUOTE (Target: Wastelands (p. 82))
    The Junkyard is the nickname of Angel Station, a space station at the L5 LaGrange Point. Harris-3M built Angel Station before 2027, using it for microtronics and material engineering. The Crash Virus of 2029 shut down Angel Station, killing all aboard. When Fuchi purchased Harris-3M's assets, the megacorporation chose to not to salvage Angel Station. Because of the hulk's location at a LaGrange Point, it tends to attract space junk. Yamatetsu intends to construct a new station at the L5 LaGrange Point, but Novatech, as successor in interest to Fuchi, claim that the area belongs to it. The Corporate Court is deciding the dispute.
    Daier Mune
    QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jun 14 2008, 10:19 AM) *

-Frank

structures buried under ice in the Antarctic? how positively Lovecraftian! now i really want to put together a shedim-focused survival/horror run.
    Matsci
    What's going on at the Evo mars base?

Prime Mover
    Ares station at L3 obviously the bug hunters station mentioned in Street Magic fiction??
    WeaverMount
    QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jun 14 2008, 05:02 PM) *
    Ares station at L3 obviously the bug hunters station mentioned in Street Magic fiction??

Nope, in that fiction it says It's at L4

so that makes something at every point but 2 listed in this post
    crash2029
    Were the events that led to the Shiawase decision masterminded by shiawase?

What happened to Daniel Coleman?

Did Dunkelzahn posses the real spear of Longinus?

Was Twilight a bug spirit?

What is Wolfgang Kies?

Who actually engineered the nanosecond buyout?

What's going on at Crater Lake?
    Method
    How exactly did Captain Chaos die?
    paws2sky
    What the real story behind Ni'ihau being off limits?

-paws
    CanRay
    Was Excalibur ever found, and returned, as per Dunkie's Will?

Is the JackPoint continuing the hunt for Dunkie's Killers like Captain Chaos swore that Shadowland would?
    last_of_the_great_mikeys
    QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 14 2008, 11:51 AM) *
    Its it possible to predict the outcome of any plan involving a microwave and a nondairy creamer?

With the mocrowave, yes. However, the nondairy creamer is a wildcard that nobody understands.
    Aaron
    What shadows lurk in the hearts of men ???

The evil knows. Wait ... that seems backward.

Where do griffins come from?

When a mommy griffin and a daddy griffin love each other very much, they share a special kind of hug ...

Okay, I got nothin'. =i)
    Mordinvan
    QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 14 2008, 10:22 PM) *
    The evil knows. Wait ... that seems backward.

When a mommy griffin and a daddy griffin love each other very much, they share a special kind of hug ...

Okay, I got nothin'. =i)

that was awesome
    rotfl.gif
    Ryu
    What the real story behind Ni'ihau being off limits?
    "A bridge between worlds" perhaps? The one Harly stopped?

Were the events that led to the Shiawase decision masterminded by shiawase?
    The Seretech foundation of the case likely no (food riots due to a trucker strike, 2 years earlier).

What is Wolfgang Kies?
    Today very likely a possession-based conjurer of beast spirits. Back in the day it could not be done.

Who actually engineered the nanosecond buyout?
    Damian Knight as mastermind with Dunkie as investor.
    Cthulhudreams
    Exactly who owns what countries in South America, and what happened to all the people?
    It trolls!
    Whom does Alamais exchange his fruitcake with nowadays?
    Stahlseele
    QUOTE (It trolls! @ Jun 15 2008, 02:04 PM) *
    Whom does Alamais exchange his fruitcake with nowadays?

didn't alamais get fried by orbital lasers?
    CanRay
    QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 15 2008, 08:13 AM) *
    didn't alamais get fried by orbital lasers?

I think so, but he got better.

To Alamais, I leave the fruitcake we have exchanged every Christmas since 2020. Unlike you, I'm really dead.

I, personally, figure he probably ate it in memory of their game together. A toast, so to speak.

Especially if they kept covering it in Alcohol while waiting for the next Christmas!
    hermit
    - What became of Gingerbread Man?
    - Who is the president of the CAS in 207X?
    - What's up with Lugh Surehand?
    - Did Orcs take over Mongolia now?
    - What's the status of Africa beyond the Gold Coast and SA?
    - Where did Arleesh disappear to and what does she do now that Dunkie is keeping the Horrors at bay?
    - What's Gunderson, inc.'s status?
    - What are the Black Scorpions up to these days?
    - What became of Johnny Spinrad?
    Chrysalis
    Who is the Mayan Cutter?
    JonathanC
    What's a LaGrange Point?
    Stahlseele
    battletech says it's a point in a solar system where the different gravities of the planets and everything else in the system cancel each other out . . . REAL no gravity *g*
    and battletech knows of 2 kinds of those points. the stationary ones mostly some hundred thousands of kilometers above the north/south pole of the central star, and the moving ones that happen due to the planets movements, the so called pirate points . . the only points from which a jumpship can safely travel outside of the einsteinian time/space continuum with use of 1.21 gigawatts from it's lithium-ion batteries which are fed by giant solar sails . .
    Daier Mune
    QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jun 15 2008, 11:42 AM) *
    What's a LaGrange Point?

essentially its an ideal place to park an orbital facility.
    Matsci
    Do Megacorps really have orbital lasers that can strike ground targets and still be effective?
    Mordinvan
    QUOTE (Matsci @ Jun 15 2008, 12:47 PM) *
    Do Megacorps really have orbital lasers that can strike ground targets and still be effective?

If yes, why has no one used them to carve their corporate logo into the moon's surface so its visible from earth yet?
    HentaiZonga
    QUOTE (Mordinvan @ Jun 15 2008, 12:49 PM) *
    If yes, why has no one used them to carve their corporate logo into the moon's surface so its visible from earth yet?

They only got as far as 'Shia' (in Kanji) before a team of shadowrunners blew up the laser. Then someone sent another team to blow up the unfinished logo, but they only managed to get the top half - and the bottom half now says 'GO STICK YOUR HEAD IN A PIG' in Arabic.
    Matsci
    Speaking of which, who owns what outside of earth?
    Kithran
    QUOTE (JonathanC @ Jun 15 2008, 05:42 PM) *
    What's a LaGrange Point?

For a far too detailed explanation than you were probably looking for try here :http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrange_point

What this means in real terms is there are five positions (L1 to L5) where you can position a space station and it won't have to expend fuel to stay in position. Of course because there are more bodies in the solar system than just the Earth and the Moon this actually means fuel expenditure is reduced rather than zero.

Kithran
    Kithran
    QUOTE (Matsci @ Jun 15 2008, 10:14 PM) *
    Speaking of which, who owns what outside of earth?

From Target Wastelands (coz it happened to be sat next to me on my sofa)

Low Earth Orbit

Apollo Station (Ares)
    Camelot (Fuchi)
    Himmelsschmiede (Saeder-Krupp)
    Shibanokuji (Yamatetsu)
    Spindle (Aztechnology)
    Zurich Orbital (Corporate Court)

Geosynchronous Orbit

Icarus (Ares)
    Echo Station (independent)
    Obelisk (HTB)
    Silver Pinnacle (Trans Orbital)

L1

Treffpunkt Raumhafen (Proteus)

L2 (far side of the moon)

Darkside Junction (Novatech)

L3

Nerva (uninhabited) (or is it?)

L4

Daedalus (Ares)

L5

Junkyard (unowned)

Moon

Artemis (Ares)
    Fernselt (Saeder Krupp)
    Olympia (Novatech)

Deep Space

Helios (far side of the sun) (Ares)

Kithran
    Sir_Psycho
    Dragon bones on mars?
    FrankTrollman
    QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jun 15 2008, 08:41 PM) *
    Dragon bones on mars?

There are no dragon bones on Mars.

-Frank
    Sir_Psycho
    Oh ok.

I didn't just make that up, did I?
    FrankTrollman
    QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jun 15 2008, 09:15 PM) *
    Oh ok.

I didn't just make that up, did I?

There was a bones on mars plotline. Many people heard "bones" and leapt to the idea of "dragon bones" but there were never any dragon bones. Just the regular kind. Plenty mysterious without getting dragons into it.

-Frank
    BookWyrm
    Just what are NERPS made of? (25 Karma to the one who actually gets the film reference I'm thinking of.)

How fast would a para-woodchuck chuck you if you put your hand near it's mouth?

If you shoot a corp-guard & there's no-one around, does it still count?

Will there ever be transformable drones? (an actual question posed to me by another player)

Can a character have a relationship with a vampire in-game & remain uninfected?
    FrankTrollman
    Can a character have a relationship with a vampire in-game & remain uninfected?

Yes. Infection requires that they suck your Essence down to lethal levels. Then you either rise as an infected or die and rot. Just having sex, however kinky, doesn't change your DNA in the slightest.

-Frank
    RunnerPaul
    QUOTE (BookWyrm @ Jun 15 2008, 10:51 PM) *
    Just what are NERPS made of? (25 Karma to the one who actually gets the film reference I'm thinking of.)

Soylent NERPS are made of PEOPLE!
    Matsci
    QUOTE (Kithran @ Jun 15 2008, 10:41 PM) *
    From Target Wastelands (coz it happened to be sat next to me on my sofa)

... Stuff...

I meant as of 2070. Stuff's changed.
    This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
    Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012