Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Down in the Barrens II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Redjack
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:48pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The waitress, smiling the whole time, re-collects the two mugs from Val. "Two more brews, coming up."

<<@Hawk [Stump] Red-E-Stor... I have no no idea. I rarely leave my store and I don't go into other people's backyards. Freak called Stitch is the one who double crossed me. I'm sure someone will miss him. Even the ugliest, gutter-rat bastard has some uglier, slime-sucking slitch waiting for him in what ever rat-hole he calls home.>>

<<@Hawk [Terra] No problem. Have a good evening.>>

<<@Hawk [Noose] Just a follow up from earlier. Sorry, been a long day. I checked with the Tarra chick. She turned down working extra shifts at the bar. Tina was the bartender who didn't show tonight. I could use you on Wednesday night for Ladies night though.>>

The waitress arrives back with two beer mugs for Val, then flitters off again.
ludomastro
Ghost

"I'm off to the head."

I'm going to see if our friends from the table over in the corner are actually interested in us as a whole or just me.

Your paranoia is showing.
It's not paranoia if they are really out to get you.
LordArcana
Hawk

<<@Noose [Hawk] Wednesday night it is boss. What time? If you got shippment Wednesday i'll come in early and give you a hand.>>

<<@Stump [Hawk] Gee, tell me how you really feel. I'll scope the place out tonight. You interested in any of the merchandise left from what i need?>>

Taking advantage of Ghost's absence Hawk turns to Val...

"So i take it you know Stump from another deal? Judging from the deal he made with you for the ingram sounds like you are into him for a few yen. If you don't mind me asking, how deep are you in? I understand if you don't want to talk about it. Just looking out for my best interest is all."

Hawk spends a moment looking around the room making sure Ghost was talking about the same group of people he had made notice of earlier. He watches as Ghost walks by them to see if anyone follows him to the head.
Saytr
riday, March 27th, 2071; 5:48pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Val turns to Hawk after taking a swig of the beer brought to the table. God this is awful turning towards Hawk "well to be honest he and i just look out for one another right now." Val didnt want to give to much away, he didn't know if he could actually trust these guys. "I just kind of woke up one day and fell right into his lap. im in to him for a few hundred nuyen and he is my fence when i have stuff i want to off load. other then that though we haven't been friends very long." if you count 48 hours long i guess Val turns his attention to what hawk and ghost were talking about trying to get a fix he looked around the table to see if anyone else was paying the same attention to them as the other table was. Wonder if its always like this around here.
LordArcana
Hawk

A smirk crosses Hawks lips as he watches the face of surprise on Val when he takes a sip of his brew.

"A few hundred nuyen isn't too bad. I was affraid you were into him for a couple thousand. I should think this run will bring you even with stump.

That face...reminds me of when pop took me out for my first beer. Oh, and the shots of whiskey that followed.

<<@Team [Hawk] If you need help Ghost, don't try and be a hero. Watch your back.>>
Saytr
Val

Val takes another swig of the bad tasting brew. "Couple thousand and i think i would be in the ground i would think if i owed any more." Val keeps looking at the table Hawk and Ghost mentioned. <@team[val] "so what do you think is with the two guys at the table?">

I wonder if these are the guys from the other night?
LordArcana
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:49pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Hawk

<<@Team [Hawk] I'm not sure what Ghost noticed about the lads, but their dress alone makes them stand out a bit. Not your average factory worker. Not to mention look at the way they are sitting. A little paranoid someone might sneak up on them so they put their backs to a wall. Not like that is always the safest thing either.

Hawk remembers back...It was August of 2052 in a run down shithole somewhere north of Mobile Alabama. Command had intel on a group of eco terrorists and a threat to some bioengineering firms in Atlanta. We were sent in to 'eliminate' the threat. Eliminate, yeah right. They might as well just told us straight up 'aim for between the eyes'. We made it to their compound but the only access door was walled in on all sides but one and they had two guards posted outside. They never knew what hit them. A pair of sniper shots, at over a thousand meters, through a plasteel wall turned their helmets into soup bowls when they hit the deck.

Blank stare, that of deep thought Hawk wispers barely audible to anyone around...

"Not even a wall stops a well aimed DU round."

Snapping out of his trance he continues in Subvoc...

Anyway just saying that don't ever for one minute think your back to a wall is the be-all safest thing in the world. Plenty of big nasty things can come through a wall. Isn't that right Ghost? At the end of the day its your own ability to always know whats going on around you that keeps your ass safe. That and a trusted friend.>>

Hawk holds his mug upto val to toast...

"To fallen comrades and true friends. Forever will they watch our backs."
ludomastro
Ghost

<<@ Team [Ghost] Copy that.>>

He wanders into the bathroom and answers natures call - more for the excuse than actually need - and waits to see if one of the youth follows him in.

<<@ Team [Hawk] ... Isn't that right Ghost? ... That and a trusted friend.>>

Yep, a friend. Kinda like a team. You know, a giant source of nuyen - what do you figure those two are worth?
Can't go there right now. Isn't the alcohol helping at all. It used to help more.

<<@ Team [Ghost] ... Yeah, walls don't always mean protection. Short of having eyes in the back of your head, friends are good.>>

Trying to give away the secret are you?
NO!!! I mean, I can't let them know that right now ....
Saytr
Val

Bullets through walls who do these guys deal with "if someone starts shooting me through walls i must have pissed someone off." val takes another swig from the beer glass whipping the head off from his lip. <@team[val]"so when we are done eating and where do we want to shack up to hit the sack for the night.">
LordArcana
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:50pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Hawk

<<@Team [Hawk] So back down to business. Anyone have any other ideas on how to get inside the compound? I wonder what the response time is going to be between alarm and arrival for lonestar? Seven residential blocks. I can't say much more than a two minutes tops. This means we are going to have to atleast be inside before those alarms go off. I don't suppose we could just stroll up and ask for a tour? What about storm-drain access?>>
Saytr
Val

<@team[Val] "what if we go in get what we need and not set off any alarms. if we can get inside without anyone knowing we are not supposed to be there i think that would work best i think. if its a hospital can we not just hijack a Doc Wagon transport use it to get inside once inside make our way to the pharmacy area and grab all to drugs we need. how hard is it to jack a transport?">
LordArcana
Hawk

<<@Team [Hawk] Oh i agree. The longer it takes for them to know we are there the better. The thing is how exactly do we get in without anyone knowing about it. Jacking a Doc Wagon van is a good idea. Not sure what kind of security they have in those things. I am sure the medics are armed, and i am sure the vehicles can be tracked. For that plan to work we will definately need to take out the medics so they can't communicate back to HQ or worse yet identify us after the fact.>>
Redjack

<<@Hawk [Noose] 17:00 is fine. See you then.>>

<<@Hawk [Stump] Anything untraceable and I'm interested in it.>>

As Ghost heads to the head, the individual in question continues to watch the table. He does make a glance or two towards Ghost as the mage walks across the bar, but does not leave his seat.

The waitress arrives setting the groups food down in front of them. Her primary attention is to Hawk, Val not getting much of a second glance. Once the food is down, she is off again.
Saytr
Val

Val gets the young girls attention with a nod and a smile "excuse me" and wiggles his finger for her to come closer "are those two люди блудница(man whores)" letting his russian slip then correcting himself "sorry, those two men over there usuals yes?" Val then starts to stare at them with intent and watches them as intently as they are.

<@Team[Val] who says it has to be a ambulance it can be a transport truck a cleaning truck they have to get supplies from other places like anywhere else right i mean they dont make thier own stuff do they? we can slip in with one of those you think yes?i mean i dont want to get into a shoot out over a van just to get inside.Maybe Athena could find something like that for us when she gets back from running errands .">

the alcohol in the drink was making Val sound a little more like this ethnic backround slurring his R's just a little he didnt know he was such a light weight drinker and who knows what was in the drink he had could have been anything. he decided to take it easy on the boozes for the rest of the time being.
LordArcana
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:51pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Hawk

Turning his attention directly to Val, noticing a difference in his speech and manerisms...

"You alright my friend, or do you always break into other languages?"

Hawk looks at Val's eyes checking his pupils...

Or do you honestly get drunk off a few sips?

<<@Team [Hawk] So you mean just jack any vehicle so it can't be traced to us? A good idea, this way we don't have to split up afterwards. We would still need a reason to get in. I assume we could go in under the pretense we are looking to set up a contract and just want to see the facility before we comit. We definately need building layouts.>>

Hawk takes a big bite of his BBQ, taking in the natural flavor when a sudden rush of heat builds. Grabbing a few fries he stuffs them in his mouth and takes a fair swig off his mug.

"HOLY SHIT! Brain burn my ass...that is destined for a total incineration my my colon."

ludomastro
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:51pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Ghost

<<@ Team [Ghost] Sometimes the easiest way to get people to do what you want is to convince them it was their idea in the first place. Perhaps Athena can whip up a surprise inspection or a mid-cycle cleaning or perhaps both. We are the cleaning crew for the non-existent inspection. If she makes it look like they are getting wind of a 'surprise' inspection then we can slip in at night do our work and slip out without anyone the wiser. When the inspection doesn't materialize, they can chalk it up to bad intel. We'll have to get her to fake logs of supplies on backorder so they don't freak when they see the items missing but either way we'd be in the clear. At least for a few days - and by then we are done with the job and paid.>>

He washes his hands for what it's worth in the less than clean water and then head back to the table.

<<@ Team [Ghost] Did our table guests from the wall pay me extra attention or are they still staring you guys down?>>
Redjack
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:52pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

In response to Val's question, she looks over at the table intently for a moment then back to Val. "They've been in several times. Not sure about names." She adds with a smile, "They are kinda cute aren't they?"

Hawk is having problems getting enough liquid down his throat for the moment. The local hot sauce must be some kinda stuff they use for cleaning engines or melting down plastics during a recycling process.

As Ghost returns, the waitress looks to the crew and their quickly emptied glasses. "Another round or two?"
ludomastro
Ghost

YES!!
We need to stay clear headed for this work.
More. Beer. NOW!!
OK, OK.

A little too quickly, he replies, "Yes, I'll have another."

<<@ Team [Ghost] I've got no problem taking Val to his doss. Shall we meet back up in the morning or later? I'll check the astral security later tonight.>>"
LordArcana
Hawk

Looking up at the waitress with a bead of sweat forming on his brow, hoarsly...

"I'll take a cola to finish washing this down. I'm affraid too much more alcohol and i might spontaneously combust."

There should be a warning on this christ-all-mighty. 'Eating this will turn your organs to liquid shit!.' I wonder what would be worse, the hangover from Bob's moonshine or the explosive anal malfunction i'm going to have in the morning.

<<@Team [Hawk] I like that idea of having a reason to be there. Only thing that might be tricky is that the quantity of stuff we are taking i think will just about empty their supply cabinets. It won't be a matter of having backorder stock...they will be on the verge of a temporary shutdown.>>
Saytr
Val

<@team[Val] "well depending on how well it goes we can just say the shelf life on the medicine is bad or something to that effect or a recall on all those types of brands i will look at the meds and see if we get all the same brand as well as see if we can't get a list of what they have currently on stock to see if the meds that the Doc wants can all be made by the same pharmaceutical company. that would make getting the drugs out easier but the hardest part i think will be getting in.">

"how about we tag up again later tomorrow night meet here around say five grab a bit to eat and hash out some details?"
val doesn't respond to the teenage waitress but finishes his meal and harsh drink waiting to find more clues to his past.
ludomastro
Ghost

<<Sounds good to me. I like the idea of a medicine recall. Do they even do that anymore? I bet they just give 'em to the SINless to see what happens or knowing that it won't do anything and taking their money. That my friends isn't a conspiracy that is reality.>>

Want to tell 'em about that Study EVO did on metas with the laes-laced erectile disfunction meds?
After the beer.

Looking at Val, "Shall we finish our meal and then I'll drop you off at your place?"
Saytr
Val

"yes please." Val then finishes his drink and meal then pays on the way out. watching for the guys at the table to maybe follow. If they do he wanted to make sure they would not follow him to where he was going and that would mean more trouble.
LordArcana
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:53pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Hawk

"Yeah guys, give me a ring later and let me know when you want to meet up again. I'm going to nurse this BBQ down slowly."

Hawk continues at the table slowly finishing off his meal. He empties the last of his mug and waits on the waitress to bring him is Fizzcola. He keeps an eye on the group of runners across the way making sure there is no interest in his new teammates.

Not a very patient crew, the guys Doc has me working with. I just hope their impatience isn't a 'fatal' flaw.

<<@Team [Hawk] Get some sleep tonight guys. Tomorrow is out first full day on the job. Poker faces.>>

Never really having time for faith while he was in the military, Hawk remembers back to a quip one of his crew used to say on the chopper before a mission...

"Lord our savior, help us with what we are about to do." Hawk whispers softly to himself.
Redjack
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:57pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The trio finish their 'food' and drinks.. including additional rounds. The waitress is attentive and wishes them a goodnight, turning her attention to the other tables after squaring up with the team on the bill. As the paranoid team heads towards the door, the two tables with obviously cybered individuals pay little attention to the team's departure.

As the team passes out the door, Val (the last in line), does notice the four guys at the table Ghost had identified earlier getting up and heading towards the door as well.
Saytr
Val

Oh great
val notices them get up and start heading for the door. When Val clears the door he reaches inside his jacket to pull his pred <@team[Val] "heads up the table Ghost mentioned is heading out now"> Val quickly gets next to any kind of quick cover he can hide behind in case things go badly. his hand on the weapon ready to pull if the men meant to cause trouble.
LordArcana
Hawk

As the group is walking through the door...

"Oh i need to hit the head before we go. I'll catch up to you guys in the morning. Give me a ring and let me know when and where."

Hawk walks back into Ugly Bob's heading to the latrine paying special attention to the guys he passes looking for concealed weapons.
Redjack

For both Val and Ghost, the drinks have made it to their heads. Not enough to completely impair them, just enough to dull their senses a little. Stepping outside, Val steps to the side and pulls his pistol. Hawk steps back in and heads for the bathroom. The foursome from the table are indeed heading towards the door. As Hawk steps towards the bathroom, they pass him still headed towards the exit.
ludomastro
Ghost

<<@ Team [Ghost] Do you have a read on them?>>
Saytr
Val

Val waits by the car using it for a leaning post and cover if it comes down to a fight starting to feel the booze do thier job he didnt want any more pain to hit him hard in a fight. <@team[val] "i saw them start to follow us out when we left if Hawk can get behind them we might get a jump on them">
LordArcana
Hawk

<<@Team [Hawk] That is the plan.>>

Hawk looks straight ahead as he passes by the group walking out the door.

One....Two....Three...

On the count of three Hawk stops and turns around as if he had forgotten something outside. Trying to keep the appearance as if he hasn't a care in the world, he walks back towards the door. Itching at his left side, through his coat, he un-snaps the safety on his slivergun getting ready to draw 'The Beast' if needed.

Sometimes....Kids just need to learn the hardway.
Saytr
Val

<@team[val] "well its all i got ot go on right now"> Val again checks his surroundings to look for any possible patrols that might come by or anyone who might jump in with the four inside.
ludomastro
Ghost

<<@ Team [Ghost] Let's see how they cope with me being invisible. They will get the shock of their short lives if they are here to cause trouble.>>

He releases the mana from the enemy detection spell and re-purposes his sustaining focus to maintain an invisibility spell. He is pleased with the effort.
Redjack
Friday, March 27th, 2071; 5:58pm; Ugly Bob's, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The parking lot has nearly a dozen bikes and mopeds as well as a dozen other vehicles, all but two absolute beaters. The two that look decent are far from new and both barely rate 'solid' in appearance. Val moves over to a nearby car and leans against it. Looking around, Val sees no sign of any sort of security patrol. Come to think of it, he's not seen one since he regained consciousness in the alley... and Ghost seems to have bugged out and left him by himself.

Inside, as Hawk turns back on the crew, he sees the last of the foursome watching him. That one, stops and turns, moving to intercept Hawk.
LordArcana
Hawk

Doing his best to act as if he doesn't consider the guy turning to intercept him as a threat, Hawk pulls his sunglasses off his head putting them on over his obviously artificial eyes. Hawk adjusts his stride moving slightly to his right giving the guy coming at him enough room to pass by.

So this is how its going down is it.....well....Preacher always said, Boys will be boys.

Setting the Slivergun to Skinlink activation only, Hawk scratches at his side from the outside of the coat. This time tipping the quickdraw holster back enough that the barrel of the gun aims forward through the front opening of the armored jacket. With his Smartgun system tracking the loaner, Hawk gets ready to give this young man one hell of a surprise. Using his right hand he brings it to his mouth to cover a small cough.

"Excuse me. Damn seasonal allergies" he says politely to the patrons nearest him.

Lets see if you have seen this one before kid. Keep your eyes on my hands i have a surprise for you.

<< @Team [Hawk] Looks like the kids want to play. A trio of bullies heading your way. A loaner decided to stay behind to get schooled.>>
ludomastro
Ghost

<<Copy that. I have a surprise waiting on them.>>

Let's show these punks who they are dealing with.
It'll be like that time back in Miami.
Wasn't that before ...
Just concentrate on the task at hand.
Saytr
Val

<@team[val] "well see how we do comrade if the shooting stops you'll know">
Redjack

The one of the four that remained behind to block Hawk was not expecting to be shot in the bar; Too bad for him. He moves towards Hawk like he is going to block the samurai. Too late he realizes he planned on grappling in a gun fight and flies backwards from the force of the blast, blood splattering nearby patrons. The team's waitress just happens to be nearby, catching a splatter of blood on her face and screams. That is followed by another scream or two as people pull away from Hawk.

Outside the bar, the other three stride confidently out the door. They stop, seeing only Val and look around for the missing member of the team. A scream can be heard from within the bar.
LordArcana
Hawk

Relaxing his grip on the holster and letting it slide back to its normal position Hawk uses his left hand to point at the thug on the floor.

"SCREW AROUND WITH MY THIRTEEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WILL YA! Be glad i didn't just blow your balls off and feed 'em to you in a stew."

<<@Team [Hawk] One punk down. Take advantage of the distraction.>>
ludomastro
Ghost

In his minds eye, he draws mana into his being and focuses it into a sleek dart of power. In reality the dart is far smaller and far less well formed than he believes. Nevertheless, he launches it into the biggest, dumbest looking member of this group.

Nailed 'im.
Get ready to nail another one.
Saytr
Val

val looks around for ghost but sees only darkness and a empty parking lot except for the three that just walked out. when he hears the gun shot and scream from inside the cafe he can only guess that Hawk has already started his fight. Val raises his weapon and points it at the lead thug that followed them outside. with the other two he didnt figure his pistol would do so he pulls out the ingram and alternates pointing at the other two thugs waiting for a reaction

"freeze, hands up now!" Who are these guys? Val hoped he would have atleast a little jump on them and maybe a few answers as well.
Redjack
The trio in the doorway hear the screams, but before they have time to react Val gives them something else to thing about. They hesitate. Then the leader draws for his weapon as he dives. The other two immediately follow suite.
Saytr
VAL

Val seeing them start to jump opens up with both his ingram and pred on the two stragglers that rolled out trying to catch them before they could find cover. <@team [val] hawk finish up."> Val didnt think the leader a pussy to piss himself so thats why he wanted to get the fighters finished off first.
Redjack

The last second seems like weeks have passed. Commotion inside kicked everyone into motion. Val told them to freeze, then Ghost's spell fizzled, but it did not go unnoticed sending the leader diving; Only to be shot at by Val with one shot finding his target. The pair behind him each dive opposite directions as they dive as well.

Inside, people are diving and rising to their feet.
Saytr
Val

cursing under his breath he switches to just using the ingram, using two guns was just to crazy with his side still hurting and the buzz hitting him a little now he didnt want to chance another missed shot like that. now though he heard the commotion inside Ugly Bobs start to take off, if people started running out crazy it would give them the time to get out of there. for now though he had to make sure the other two weren't splitting up to catch him in any cross fire. where did that other guy go he could really use his help right now, knowing nothing about magic he didnt realize Ghost was still around. Val tries to look at where the single bad guy dove, maybe he could get him before the other two got a strategy together.
Redjack

A hale of gun fire is is Val's response; Ghost remains hidden beneath his spell of invisibility.
ludomastro
Ghost

Damn! That guy is tough. He shrugged off that monster spell. Mage?
No, you dumb ass. We're drunk and we only thought that was a killer.
Let's try again, then!

He draws the power to him and lets it fly at the nearest opponent.

Damn! Still not drawing enough.
He may still go down. Should we switch to a gun?
Are you nuts?!? We're drunk and you want us to use a firearm?
Right. Sorry.
LordArcana
Hawk

Looking around at the patorns of the pub scattering away from the scene, Hawk lowers his Slivergun aiming center mass at the fallen man he had shot seconds before.

"I'm sorry to have disturbed your meal everyone. Lets call it even...next round is on me." Hawk says out-loud talking to everyone in the place. He flips his newly gained credstick in the direction of the waitress that got splattered with blood.

"See to it hun, that these fine folks get another round on me, ok sweets."

With his gun leveled at the man on the floor he pats the man down looking for ID, and more importantly something of value. Hawk takes just a splinter of a moment to really look at the person on the floor. Would there be children left behind? Mother and father to miss him? Perhaps but in this day-in-age you have to know better than to play tough if you can't back it up.
Saytr
Val

Val laying on his back from the hale of bullets that impacted his jacket and what felt like his very soul. looks around for a second and looks around realizing he is on his back he gets up and looks for anything to hide behind, anything that would offer protection from a hale of death slung his way again.
Redjack

Val is able to roll back and then around the car and out of sight the thugs. Moving at more earthly speeds, Jonathan stands off to the side maintaining his invisibility. He hears the barrage of gun shots from the thugs and watches the blur as Val vaults backwards and quickly rolls out of sight.

Inside the bar, Hawk goes about the task of frisking the down thug and attempting to smoot over the situation.
Saytr
Val

Val brings his predator up for a concnetrated shot one the one thug who rolled the other way. he looks around the cornor and takes his time with the shot and lets the shot ring out as he steady's his aim and prepares for the recoil from the pistol. as Val releases the trigger he tries to get Hawk's attetion. <@team[Val] "some help here!">
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012