Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Down in the Barrens II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:32pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

Umbra gets off the back of the bike. "Umbra go find Arkansas. Back Soon". With that Umbra headed into the plastic tent city, sniffing and looking. This was a place he visited often, but people moved around a lot.

Umbra sniffed the air. His nose twitched as he recognized a particular smell. Many of the inhabitants had strong odors, but Blind Phew was famous for it. Moving through a couple of the plastic tents, Umbra came to a small almost alleyway. A run through which people and noisome materials could flow. Sitting near a drain was Blind Phew, crosslegged on the ground with a hat and some low denomination multi-nationality notes in it. Umbra paused, and dropped a few nuyen in the hat

"Umbra greets Blind Phew. Umbra seeks Arkansas. Can Blind Phew tell Umbra where he is?"
Saytr
Val

Val turns off the bike and surveys the surrounding area, not exactly a place he wants to stay for long. Looking at the time he starts to get nervous about making the meet, last thing he wants to do is lose the muscle Athena lined up for him. seconds go by before Val hears Umbra give his farwell and dart off into the plastic maze leaving him alone in a place he knows nothing about shouting after him "Make it fast! we have places to be." After several moments go by Val takes up the most defensive looking position and aftere seeing Umbra Scamble off he was forced to wait and hope the Orc would find his friend and fast. "Arkansas" odd name
Val pulls out the photo of the women hoping to have a flash of remembrance of who she was and why she seemed familiar. He tried to remember memory that fludded his vision when they met the arms dealers.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:36pm; The Plastic Jungles, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Umbra
Umbra takes off into the foliage seeking out the bum known as Blind Phew. Luckily, he was near and the scent was easy to follow. Even at a stiff pace, it took a number of minutes to reach the man. "Wha-? Who's there? Umbra?" Everybody in the Jungle knows Blind Phew; Doesn't so much mean it goes both directions. "You seek [b]Arkansas?[/b]" The bum lets a loose a giggle, followed by a fit of hacking cough. The old man raises his nose. "He's surely already found you."

Sniffing and looking around, Umbra then notices a spectral rat watching him from beneath the foliage. The rat has no substance and the brush is not disturbed by its passing. It leaves no tracks and has no smell. It sits silently, its eyes locked on Umbra's.

"What do you need Umbra?" Arkansas' voice is ghostly, hollow and Umbra had not heard nor smelt his approach. Turning, the shaman also appears ghostly, like the rat. He is hovering off the ground, next to a small tree, crouching.

Val
Minutes pass as Val sits waiting. He passes the time looking at the photo, racking his brain for a connection. A recognition. None occurs.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra greets Arkansas. " His voice was formal. "Mr Hatter has instructed Umbra to help Mr Val on Mr Val's quest for his memory. Mr Val has lost his memory. Mr Val has asked if Umbra knows any magic workers to help. Umbra thinks that Mr Val has a Job as well, and would like help with the Job. If Arkansas would like a Job, Umbra can introduce him to Mr Val. "

"As well as the Job, Mr Val has found a gun with blood on it. If Arkansas can help track the blood, the shooter may Know Things that can help Mr Val"

"Is Arkansas wanting to meet Mr Val?"
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:36pm; The Plastic Jungles, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Nothing grasps his mind, frustration sets in and then realeases as he focuses back on the Plastic Jungle, the plant life and plastic in the wind felt almost seren to him in the sense of no noise and nothing but the wind(stinky wind but wind none the less). after a few moments he looks at the time, Where is Umbra with that mage we need to move fast.
Redjack
Umbra

Arkansas considers Umbra for several moments. A ghostly rat approaches and begins to make rat-like noises at the ghostly shaman, who nods to the rat before turning his attention back to Umbra. "Take me to him"

Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:40pm; The Plastic Jungles, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

If first impressions were a true measure of worth, then the shaman's arrival would dispel Val's doubt generated by the Plastic Jungles. Umbra slips back into the open; Had Val not been watching the correct direction he would surely have missed the arrival of the stealthy ork. He is followed by a ghostly apparition of a dwarf in tattered clothing with a staff in his hands. The lack of a meat body is not uncommon in the sixth world- in the matrix.

The ghost steps out into the clearing. He takes a moment to regard the street samurai before speaking, "What do you seek?"
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:36pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

Umbra greeted the spectral rat, then nodded to Arkansas. "Umbra pleased to work with Arkansas." Having said that, he heads back past Blind Phew, threw a number of plastic sheeted tents, back to where Val was waiting on the bike. "Mr Val this is Akansas. Arkansas this is Mr Val".

Umbra stepped back to allow the Rat Shaman and the man with no memory work out their own deal.
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:36pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Val was impressed by the shamans appearance, never the less he didnt have much knowledge of magic and how one did what they did. "Mr.Arkansas, I am looking for a little magic help for a job i have tonight it isnt a lot of money but it is for those who need it. Umbra said you might be looking for some work. If you are willing to help i might have some more work for you in a more personal nature concerning me." Val didnt want to give away to much about himself or the job in case the shaman decided to say no. "We are in a bit of a time crunch as well, i am supposed to meet the muscle for the job in less then a hour but know we wont get far if we do not have any magical support. If you agree i can fill you in on all the details so far."
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:40pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Arkansas looks at the Russian for a moment. "Continue"
Saytr
val

Val conitnues on "a small group is to retrieve medical supplies from Doc Wagon to help alleviate a smaller facilities need, who is in need of them. The job is tonight and the magical support we had has magically vanished." Val needed to quicken the pace and meet the muscle, the job was tonight and they needed to get things moving.
Redjack

The ghostly shaman continues with brief replies, "My cut?"
Saytr
Val

Val thought back to the meet and details with Doc Phin, "You get my previous counter parts cut which is 1,000 upon completion, plus the more medicine we get the more he will be willing to give us plus a good word with the local gang and discounts on medical treatments.Its a rush job i know and not much prep time.Nuyen is Nuyen." Val hoped he remembered it correctly but thinking about it his thoughts went to Aeryns hired muscle and wondered what she had promised them if anything.
Seth
Umbra

Umbra thinks that 'discounts on medical treatments' is a good thing. "Mr Val. When does job start and when does job end?"
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:40pm; Edge of the Plastic Jungles, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The ghostly shaman nods, "I will see you in two hours." Then without another word, he disappears as do the ghostly rats that were sneaking around. Left by themselves with the clock ticking, the duo climb onto Val's motorcycle and head out towards the next meet.

Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:07pm; Ugly Bob Roadhouse, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Val does his best to get to the meet on time, but his lack of familiarity with both the motorcycle and the lay of the land work against him and cause him to be late. Luckily, the matrix signal around the bar is fairly strong and Val connects to Athena's OlympusNet.

<<@Val [Athena] The guys are already here; They arrived early. Their nicknames are Toad and Slick.>>

This time of night on a Saturday, the roadhouse is hopping. The parking lot is nearly full, though the specific vehicles there make it look as much like a junkyard as a parking lot. The varied conversations in there are nearly as loud as the music. Proceeding on in, the motif is 2x4 furniture on a bare cement floor and lighting poor. A barely legal (is there such a concept in the Barrens?) serving girl wearing shorts cut shorter than her rear end smiles at Val, ignoring Umbra. He need for braces is highlighted by her smile.

A GPS ARO from Athena leads them to the take where Toad and Slick are seated. The pair look as young as the serving girls and equally as green. The just finished toasting their mugs of Bob's Brew and a girl is dropping several orders of boneless wings and onion flowers on the table. They look up and the one tagged as Toad speaks up, "You the Johnson?"
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:07pm; Ugly Bob Roadhouse, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Umbra thought Ugly Bobs Roadhouse was very loud, but his friend the Sergeant Nelson had told him to buy these little ear buds for stopping loud noises. Umbra had practiced with the buds, and could get them to stop the loud sounds. The smell of chemicals and toxic products assaulted Umbra's nose anyway. Rat had taught Umbra how to eat toxic products like that pile of goo, flooded with additives swimming in grease that Toad and Slick were proposing to eat, and not suffer for it. Umbra hoped that Toad and Slick had listened to their totems too. The beer smelt good though: Ugly Bob had obviously decided just to brew it, and hadn't spoiled it with lots of chemicals.

Umbra pointed at Val and said "Mr Val is 'Mr Johnson'".
Saytr
Val

Val turns towards the young muscle after scanning the loud club then sits next to them "Yes i am. there are some supplies that need to be taken from some people who do not want to give them up." Val sends a message <@Athena[Val]"did you offer these two guys payment or any details on the job tonight?"> Letting the brief explanatino sink into the young skulls he finishes "in or out?" then he leans in and whispers into Umbra ear "please do not use my real name with these guys, just call me Rabbit ok."
Seth

Umbra pointed at Val and said "Mr Rabbit is 'Mr Johnson'".
Redjack

<<@Val [Athena] Toad and Slick are here to hear your pitch, no details from me.>>

The duo nod at Val Rabbit's instructions. In response to the question, Toad asks, "What's our cut?"
Saytr
Val

Rabbit sits next the two youths"mention of good standing with the Warlords who run the turf around a clinic and 1000 nuyen, more if we can get our hands on more than four duffle bags of supplies." Val waits for thier response before letting them in on more.
Redjack

The duo smiles and Toad responds, "Mr Rabbit, I think you just hired some muscle."
Saytr
Val

Val aka Rabbit doesnt stay long enough to get a glass of acid to wash down, "Lets roll" and motions for the new team members to follow. Val makes sure there is enough distance to respond if they try anything, he had just met them for only moments.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:09pm; Ugly Bob Roadhouse, Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The foursome grab their food to go, pay the waitress and head into the parking lot. There, Arkansas is waiting for them. In the flesh, the dwarf is scrawny and dirty and from Val's perspective, in need of a shower. The six-some is now complete, if you count Athena in astral over-watch. Val's duffel bag contains the spoils from the police cruiser and both the new muscle have street bikes. It appears that it is time to get in motion.
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:09pm; Ugly Bob Roadhouse, Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Val in the parking lot with the spoils and team get Athena on the line with everyone so they are all connected and monitored <@Team[Val]"alright the plan is to highjack a dogwagon van."> then seperates and send a seperate call to Athena<@Athena[val]" Can you locate the closest truck with a route that will take it and us to the facility? <@team[Val] plan is to jack the truck and then use it to get inside the facility if the truck doesnt have all the supplies we need we use the truck to get inside docwagon facility we use the gaurds uniforms to get inside, from there we will have to play it by ear.>
Redjack

<<@Val [Athena] The facility is a drive up type. Ambulances back up to a loading dock type entrance and resupply and some smaller delivery trucks load this small distribution center for delivery to outpatient clinics. Doc Wagon systems are pretty tight security; once I drop into that system, you should be in position to get into the facility. Perhaps we snag a vehicle on the way out...? Or pick up a less conspicuous delivery van en route?>>

Saytr
Val

Val take a moment to process all the information. <@Team[Val]" Crappy strategy, hmmmm. well what delivery vans have any scheduled drop off that we can snag in route to get inside the facility? cause once inside we will get what we need and then head out in a wagon and then ditch the wagon fast so they cannot track our location or have Athena dissable the tracking device inside the van.">
Redjack
<<@Val [Athena] As I said, I do not yet have access to the facility systems; Once I do, I can check for scheduled deliveries, but we should wait until you are in position to enter the facility. Security will probably locate my presence but we should have several minutes. Once we have a vehicle, I can load up my scan program and we can scan for tracking devices.>>
Saytr
Val

Val leads the team to a local taco not to far from where the doc wagon facility is located. <@team[Val]"this is where we are to hit the target we need to get inside get our goods and then head out. Once inside we only have minutes to get in and get out, we have a list of product we need to get once inside. Any ideas?">
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:32pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle

The Highlands Park Doc Wagon Clinic is at 11201 NE 100the St.

Toad, Slick and Umbra munch on their tacos, looking around then at Arkansas, each assuming Val could not be speaking to them. Arkansas looks up from his taco to find the majority of the table looking to him. He takes a moment to look behind him, then back to those seated at the table and finally Val. "Rat always sneaks."

Athena, attending the meeting virtually from Val's com, smiles.
<<@Val [Athena] They are a pretty simple bunch. Are you going to try to snag a truck from the facility or get one before? Also, be aware, there is a Knight Errant facility at 11251 Kirkland Way; That was the big building you passed on the way here. I'm all set to penetrate the system whenever you are ready to infiltrate.>>
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:32pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle
Val/Rabbit

Rabbit looks around in the direction of the KE station and then to the actual DocWagon Facility. <@team[Rabbit]"alright folks looks like we need to acquire a truck to get inside as a delivery, once inside we have to get the drugs and get out without to much attention."> Rabbit goes through several scenarios while sitting there trying to think of the best scenario that would work to get them all inside without any issues.
Redjack

While neither the clinic, nor the station, are within sight of his current seat, Val can imagine both; the station about four blocks almost due south and the clinic about thirteen blocks due north. Looking at the crew assembled before him, the Russian's mind begins to wander...

An older man sat around the table across from Val, beers in front of each and chips & salsa in the middle of the table. The waitress approached, her accent thick Aztlan, replacing empty beer glasses before making herself scarce again. The older man took a moment to subtly admire her assets as she exited before looking back to Val and speaking with a thick Russian accent. "Ve must be careful. People are getting..." He looks side to side for a moment before again looking back, "...curious about you."

Val can hear himself say, "I have it under control."

"What do you have under control?" Arkansas asks as Val realizes he repeated the words from the memory.
Saytr
Val

Val looks from the direction of the Dog wagon facility to Arkansas "Everything." silently he trys to formulate a plan that will suite thier needs. <@Team[Val]"Athena will you falsify any kind bio pick up for desease control waste and what not. We will need to locate a van for us to procure as well from the same type of company anyone know of that type of place around here. Once we get that van and inside the facility we will make our way to the storage area for all thier drugs and pick out what will pay us the most, once we get what we need then snag another ride on our way out, once inside Rat can find us another ride to get us out, just make sure its a van. Arkansas you stay with me and Toad will go with rat if there are any issues let me know asap, if i run into any trouble you guys will have to distract the facilities attention for a few minutes.">
at the edge of his mind he can feel his memories still scrabbled like his meal. Everytime he felt his memory come back in waves he lost it just as fast but now he was adubily having the flashbacks....was that good or bad he wondered. god what am i doing and what is it all supposed to mean frustration started to flood through him and moments later he steadied himself in a attempt to stay focused on the project at hand. Who was the old man and how did KE know who he was. He made a not to have someone more talented in finding information to get what KE has on him and why
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:33pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle

Arkansas accepts the response without further question and focuses on his food. He picks at the soy-lettuce, not quite sure as to whether to eat it.
<<@Team [Athena] Note: Neither Arkansas nor Umbra have coms, so they are not getting my updates. Also, do you mean Umbra when you say Rat?>>
Toad also hesitantly nods, but obviously confused, looking towards Arkansas as the teammate he thinks Val means by Rat.

A minute passes before Athena's next reply, everyone absorbed in their food for the time.
<<@Team [Athena] I've taken over a few wireless, low grade security cameras in your vicinity. The next block over, a nondescript, white van just pulled up in front of a residence. Once I access the DocWagon system, I should be able to insert a bogus pickup record.>>
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:33pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle
Val

Val not realizing the two new additions didnt have coms realizes the futility of talking in a team chat so no other could hear. shaking his head to himself he simply speaks to the others "we have to move fast Athena has got a van for us to use then she will falisfy a pick up for laundry and the such which we will be. Once inside we will head to the pharmacy and get our drugs and get out hopefully before anyone notices us stealing precious drugs. remember the more we get the better but lets not get to carried away and take more then we can get away with."
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:34pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle

Arkansas rolls up the rest of his food and stuffs it in a pocket. Umbra, his food all gone, looks around picks up half the hot sauce packets and puts them in a pocket. Toad and Slick give the duo a disapproving look but remain silent at they rise. A moment later, the five-some are back at the three motorcycles.

Toad asks, "So, what's plan to get the van? We got an access code or something?"

<<@Team [Athena] Once you are in sight, I can hack it, using Val's com as a jump point. Given that you lack uniforms, the jig will be up pretty quickly though.>>
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:34pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle
Val

Val looks at Arkansas "we have matrix support on hand chummer. Plan is to get the van and make a dry run on the facility.once inside we will find some uniforms to use to move around with and make this as quick and painless as possible."

<@Team[Val]"Plan is to get the van and make a dry run on the facility, once inside we will snag some coats or uniforms to use to move around with.>
Redjack

Arkansas nods followed by an enthusiastic nod from Umbra.

Toad adds in, "Ready when you are."

Saytr
Val not liking a rushed plan but they were short on time. "We need to leave our rides somewhere safe anyone know where we can stash our rides until this is all over?"
Redjack

The quartet in the meat look to one another, then Toad looks back to Val and speaks, "Not our neighborhood, Chummer."
Saytr

val looks at the trio behind and then to Rat <@Athena[Val] "know any good places to store our bikes better yet store them in the alley behind the lab if possible">
Redjack

<<@Val [Athena] There are a number of factors to consider. This neighborhood is really isolated with the only exit past the Knight Errant precinct house. Do you want the bikes inside or outside? If inside, not a lot of places to park them, but they won't be there long so you could leave them... or post a guard. If outside, things are a little more complicated and leaving a guard is surely the best idea. For that matter, the Taco Hut will not draw much attention to them, especially if you leave someone at the table.>>
Saytr
Val

Val turns to Rat and looks at the other two behind him. "Slick, stay with the bikes. Arkansas, ride with Toad and Umbra can ride with me. Once we get the van both of you take the bikes back to slick where Umbra and I will meet up with everyone and from there we will make our run. Understood. Once we get the van and load up Slick will stay with all our rides until we get back." Val looks up the closest thing that looks to be a abanodoned building that would serve them best. they needed to be hidden and descret
Redjack
Val

Arkansas looks to Val, "I cannot. I have never driven."

<<@Team [Athena] Once I hack the van, I can drive it.>>

Slick nods and refills his Fizzy-Cola™. "I got this." before sitting back down.

Toad glares at Slick, but mounts his bike and starts it. Arkansas waits hesitantly, then mounts the bike, behind Toad. Umbra seems very excited to be going for a ride and waits for Val then climbs on. The two bikes pull out and tools around the block.
<<@Team [Athena] Go slow....>>
The bikes barely pass the van before it starts. As they reach the end of the block, it begins to back out of the driveway.
<<@Team [Athena] Owned.>>
Saytr
Val

Val takes the lead and drives to the closest covered area where they can all disembark from thier bikes. "Go get Arkansas and meet us back here then we will move on the facility." Val also talks to Athena<@Athena[Val]"thanks for grabbing the Van we need uniforms that can pass as delivery folks just to get inside the gate once inside we will improvise to get the meds.">
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:38pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle

The two bikes pull back in beside Slick's bike and the van stops behind them.
<<@Val [Athena] Uniforms? I... Umm... Not sure where to get those.... Once I hack the system, I can open the loading bay doors at the clinic. Seems like this is quickly turning into a smash and grab?>>

Toad asks Val, "You'se wants that we should loads into the van?"
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:38pm; Juan's Taco Hut, 11290 NE 87th St, Bellevue District, Seattle

Toad nudges Val, "Yo boss?"
Saytr
Val

Val looks at the other seemingly lost in thought, he needed to concentrate on the job at hand. "yea thats fine once we get to the taco stand we will load up in the van and head towards the facility." Val knew they would need to get thier heads on straight and his needed to be intact in all he did to make sure he found his memories before he was geeked in the process.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:42:00pm; 11201 NE 100the St, Highlands Park Doc Wagon Clinic, Kirkland, Bellevue District, Seattle Metroplex

The next few minutes seem to take five days, but pass in minutes. The motorcycles are all parked at Juan's Taco Hut, leaving Slick drinking Fizzy-Colas™ while Val, Arkansas, Toad and Umbra all load into the van. Athena remotely controls the van around the block and down the street. Minutes later, the vehicle arrives at the clinic. As it backs in, Athena chimes in with an update...

<<@Team [Athena] I am in the system. I have injected a an expedited delivery record. I am taking over the cameras now... Done; loop in place. I'll do my best to keep them off you and advise if/when the defecation hits the ventilation.>>

The van comes to a stop and once again the three team members are looking to Val. Umbra has his taser in his large, troll sized cyber-arm.,Toad has produced an AK-97 Carbine with a folding stock from beneath his lined coat and Arkansas is against the side of the van making himself as small as possible.

Time to earn some nuyen...
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:42:00pm; 11201 NE 100the St, Highlands Park Doc Wagon Clinic, Kirkland, Bellevue District, Seattle Metroplex
Val

Val takes a deep breath and opens the back of the van and takes the first step of his renewed life in the shadows. not knowing exaclty what to expect he hopes to make a fast entrance and just as quick exit, prefferably not in a body bag. "dont shoot unless you absolutely have too" Val says generally.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:42:03pm; 11201 NE 100the St, Highlands Park Doc Wagon Clinic, Kirkland, Bellevue District, Seattle Metroplex

The doors of the van swing open to reveal a loading dock. The door to the loading bay is a garage door style door and it is 3/4 of the way up when the van doors open. Beyond is a room with a clean, polished cement floor. White light spills down from the high, hanging ceiling lights. Various rows of boxes on crates can be seen against the walls with labels that betray them as mostly paper goods. There does not appear to be anyone in the room. Between Val's feet, a ghostly rat runs towards the room, fading from sight as it jumps from the van to the loading dock edge.
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 6:42:03pm; 11201 NE 100the St, Highlands Park Doc Wagon Clinic, Kirkland, Bellevue District, Seattle Metroplex
Val

cautiously Val steps out of the van and into the room and starts to look for any disguise that might be useful.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012