Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Down in the Barrens II
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:51pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Now that things are calm, Hatter nods. "I imagine those chasing you were either Hearts or perhaps forces loyal to the White Witch....." He seems confused about the last part, then looks at Val very seriously. "Whoever the were, they were pretty intent on getting to you. Like yourself, they spoke with Russian accents." He then pauses, smiles and turns to the ork. "Luke Skywalker, will you assist the White Rabbit in his quest for the Holy Grail?"
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:50pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

Umbra nodded to Mr Hatter "Umbra will help Mr Elf. Umbra is very sneaky, but not good in a fight. Rat would like Umbra to help Mr Elf".

Umbra passed a cup to tea to the Mad Hatter, then took off the shiny metal badge.

"Mr Hatter, Umbra need you to remember: where did the Russian accent people come from? Did they drop anything? Do have any clues to help Umbra and Mr Elf on their quest."
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:52pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The troll reaches up rubbing his chin for a second, before walking straight toward... and past Val, with an "Excuse me, please."

He moves into the light slowly, giving his eyes time to adjust and down the alley. He stops, looking around for something, then raises his finger accentuating his recollection. He reaches up to a ledge, pulling back a large Russian pistol that was hidden from view. "One of them dropped this." He says, quite pleased with himself for remembering.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra wonders if they left some of themselves on the pistol".

Umbra moves over to the pistol, closes his eyes and sniffs it carefully

Saytr
Val

Val watched the troll move over silently as he passed and pulled the hand cannon from its hiding spot. Val offers his free hand to look over the weapon after the orc leans over a smells the pistol. "May I?" Val says wanting to look over the pistol for any marks or recognizable features.
Redjack

Umbra runs his nose up and down the barrel, the smell of Hatter, spent gun powder and gun oil the strongest smells. Slowing down and running the length another pass, he can smell the rain water.... and a man. A hint of sweat, a drop of blood. A man.

Val looks over the piece: An MP-449, Russian made. Integrated smart-gun link. 15r magazine, same caliber as an Ares Predator Mark IV. How did he know that? Further investigation reveals the serial number has been filed away.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra smells the man. The man bled. It was raining, and much is lost. Umbra will know man when he is near".

"Umbra thinks must find Russians to smell them. Vory are Russians."

"Mr Hatter where are Vory?"

Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:56pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Hatter nods and walks off and down the alley. Eventually he comes to a street, in front of a building. A stripped car sits up on blocks, its roof caved in. Down the street, about a block away, a pair of teens are rolling a motorcycle away.
Saytr
Val

why did he know what kind of weapon this was, while the information came like as if he had known the weapon all along he tests the weight and checks for any modificatons he ejects the magazine and pulls the slide back and tests the firing pin to ensure it still works. Once val is done with the inspection he holds on to the pistol until he can verify why the Hearts were carrying around such a nice piece. Val notes the stripped Sedan once again and takes note of the building Hatter leads them towards, "Be right back" It only takes a micro second for Val to recognize the bike as his own. He still has the MP 449 in hand but tucks it against his body as he starts off towards the teens trying to catch up to them before they realize he is there so i he can get a jump on them and not get shot if they have a gun or before they take off.
Redjack

Val takes off at a full sprint running in a wide arc towards the duo and the bike. Umbra recognizes their colors as the Warlords, the street gang that holds sway over this area. The gangers seem completely unaware of Val's impending arrival.
Seth
Umbra

Umbra sets off in a run after Val, keeping a good eye for a place to dive for cover. Umbra's agreement with Mr Hatter will lapse if the Warlords kill him. Umbra hopes that Val knows that killing the Warlords might be a bad idea.

Saytr
Val

As Val apporaches the teens he throws the a wild punch at the first one he gets close to aimed for a knockout blow wanting to continue through looking to barrel through and knock down the other he was tired of the troubled punks either trying to steal his clothes and money or his property.
Redjack

Val reaches the ganger on the left side of the bike and catches him completely off guard with a right hook that hits with a thud sending a tooth or two flying and the ganger sprawling after it. Umbra is right on Val's heals as the Russian lights into the first ganger.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra worried. Warlords Mean. This Warlord turf. Still Val will talk to them and negotiate. Face will be saved. Val will get his bike" he mutters to himself, hoping that the deadly looking man wouldn't resort immediately to violence.

Umbra watches Val and winces as Val punches the ganger. "Umbra thinks that very aggressive negotiation. Still Warlords understand that.". Mr Hatter had tasked Umbra with helping Val so.... "Umbra hopes Val knows best". Umbra pointed his huge arm at the Warlord that Val hadn't punched and mentally triggered the command "fire". A dart flew out towards the ganger.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:56:33pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

From behind Val, Umbra comes to a stop, leveling his cyber-arm with both inhuman speed and precision, raising the palm and letting a taser dart fly. The ganger makes and incredible jump & twist & drop the bike to avoid the dart... but despite a momentous human effort, the shooter is not playing at that level; The dart strikes the ganger who wiggles like a fish out of water before falling to the ground, wires connecting him back to Umbra.
Seth
Umbra

Umbra winces again, flicks his wrist to free himself from the wires, then dives for cover. Umbra hopes no more Warlords around. From his position behind the filled rubbish bags, Umbra looks around to see if there are any observers to this little fracas.
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:56:33pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Val looks around to see if the gangers were draging the bike to friends or just couldnt get it started for lack of knowing how. All things set aside Val checks to make sure the teens arent dead then grabs his bike and starts to make his way back to Mr. Hatter. He noticed Umbras attack from behind and was glad that the odd man didnt use the it on him back in the building to make him do a similar fish act. "Good job" val throws Umbras way as he passes him. Val hoped they didnt have any friends around, if not they would say they got mugged seeing as they didnt even notice the attack that just happened he wasnt worried about them being id'd by the teens.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:56:34pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Val catches the bike just as it touches the ground, stopping it at least from being damaged as the second ganger is shot and falling. The first ganger rolls over, sees the two imposing figures and the state of his partner and begins shuffling backwards, crab walk style. Umbra dives behind what was once a couch and other furnishings now piles on the edge of the street. Neither Val, nor Umbra see anyone else in the street.
Saytr
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:56:34pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Val

Val checks the teen crab walking away giving him a stare "Take your friend and get out of here. This belongs to me and i dont appreciate you trying to steal it." Val ensures the teen doesnt get any ideas and watches him carefully as he takes his bike back to where is was and sets up the kickstand so it rests like it should.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 4:57pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The first ganger rolls over onto his feet, turns to run then looks back at his buddy who has finished convulsing. He moves over, wary of the elf and the ork, grabs his buddy under the shoulders and drags him backwards a few steps. The tasered ganger regains some of his composure and the duo run away with out a word.

Umbra and Val are left on a quiet street a block down from the stripped car. The Hatter has also disappeared.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra is pleased Val has his bike. Shall Val and Umbra go find Russian Bad Guys? Maybe bad guys left something where they attacked Val. One bad guy left blood on weapon. Maybe mage or chemist can work out who bad guy is"
Saytr
Val

Val is happy the teen grabbed his friend he didnt want to have to take care of gettign the kid out of the street and out of harms way after knocking him off his feet. When Val cannot find Hatter he starts to scan the surrounding area and then looks to Umbra who mentioned smells. "Can you find the Hatter? I have more questions for him." Val was still very confused about what realationship he and the Hatter might have had Val needed to know why he was attacked and for what purpose, Did the Hatter know more about Vals past. He needed answers, Val wished he had some kind of anti theft on his bike so he wouldnt have had to worry about such things. He made a reminder about getting one installed or anything comparable some time soon.
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra thinks that Mr Hatter has gone back to his Vision Quest for the white rabbit. Perhaps Umbra and Val should search out the Russian Bad Guys"
Redjack

The street remains empty, though somewhere far off to the north a single gun shot can be heard. The shot appears unrelated to anything occurring here, just a normal part of life in the Barrens.
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:00pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

Umbra observes that Val appears to be deep in thought. After waiting a few minutes
"Umbra thinks that Val needs to decide where to go. Chase Russian Bad guys by going to where Val was shot, or set trap for Russian Bad guys."
Saytr
Val

Val looked around intently for the Troll Mr. Hatter until Umbra spoke and brought his attention to the situation at hand "What?" Val said not realizing he was asked a question then rethought. "Yes Yes, Well i need some help on a job..... you want some extra spending money? i dont really know you but i need all the help i can get." After a few moments Val also added "let see if those russians left any other gifts for us when they tried to attack me." Val showed the gun again to Umbra and then showed him where he thought he might have fallen from the window and then took umbra along the path where he cold best recognize where he had ran.
Redjack
Val

The duo walked back up the street towards the stripped car, Val pushing the motorcycle. When they reached the car, Val stopped, looking inside....

The rain was coming down in a light drizzle as the day began to darken towards its end. The buildings he passed were dilapidated from decades of neglect. Pulling in front of the old building he had a sense of foreboding.... "By the twitching of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes." He checked the shouldered pistol before exiting the car and making his way towards the entrance. He was the first to arrive, but he was expecting others to arrive soon. He went up the stairs and unlocked the door with a physical key.

The memory flooded back. The car had been Val's car, but now it was little more than a shelled out husk, like the rest of his life. The interior was gone: seats, steering wheel, upholstery, instrumentation, floor mats all gone. The exterior fared no better; The engine, hood, trunk, tires & wheels, even the body panels were all stripped.
Seth
Umbra

Umbra looks at the ground, sniffs the ground, sniffs the car. "Umbra thinks rain destroyed most smells. Cars best tracked by numbers not by smell. Car have number in engine, on back and on front. Can Mr Val track the car using numbers? Umbra has friend who can track by numbers. Friend will still be at work. Umbra and Mr Val could go see Sergeant Nelson. Sergeant Nelson nice Knight Errant man, and can help Umbra and Mr Val"
Saytr
Val

Val stared at the stripped vehicle for a moment recalling every detail of what the vehicle used to look like before he lost it entirely. "No need, it used to be mine. and from the looks of it the locals have done a very good job of stealing anything worth of value. Lets check inside the apartment where i fell from." Val went to open the door for the building grasping the russian hand cannon again inside his jacket he opens the door, not knowing what is inside he didnt want to have a similar fall and loss anymore of his memories.
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:03pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The majority of the buildings up and down this block are, or at least were, two story apartment buildings. The general layout is four apartments per building. Val leads the duo through the front door. Doors to the right and left as well as a set of stairs leading to the second level. The front door was newer and reinforced, but had not been secure by the last persons to exit through it. It also was made to look, from the outside, like it had always been here.

Up the stairs, Val instinctively steps through the door on the right. The door is closed, but there as he steps up near the door, Val's comlink audibly chirps. Looking at the view screen, he sees an "unlock" button. Pressing it, their is an audible click on the door. Cautiously pressing against the door, it yields easily. The first thing immediately recognizable to the duo is the smell of death.

There is a door on both the left and the right then little entryway gives way to a room. Quick inspection reveals that the doors are to a closet and a bathroom. There are no sounds from within the apartment except that of the outside, even to Umbra's discerning ears.

Continuing in, their guard high, the source of the smell and sound are quickly apparent: To the right, towards the front of the building, the window no longer has glass and on the floor in front of a desk is a dead man; A large bullet has spread his brains across the room. Looking around the rest of the room, the decoration is simple but classy beyond the Barrens. The walls are white drywall, but two pictures adorn the walls. One of a mountain shrouded in mist and another of a downtown city scene; visible letters are Russian. A once nice area rug covers the {faux?} wood flooring and an ornate desk (King Louis Style) with chair are the only thing else in the room. Several items are on the desk.
Saytr
Val

The smell of death and the manner in which Val notices the body he wonders if this was the scene so protrayed in his memories, the familiarity with the building like he had been there before and his com recognizing the door it had to be . Did I do this? Val immediatly starts to searche for any details on and in the desk and the room that might lead to him being there to confirm his asumption or to any reason why he would find this place so familiar. Val needed more to go on he couldnt put all the pieces together. Obviously if he was the one who killed this man, why? what did it matter to him was it just a job like the run he was supposed to be doing now or was it connected to the russians who Umbra and Hatter say were chasing him. Of all the memories he had recovered all of them lead Val to death and destruction. Mr. Hatter mentioning a quest of some sort threw Val off completely as well, what Grail was he supposed to be after. There had to be more. Val tried to look for any such clues if they hadnt been taken already from the time that lapsed.

<@Athena[Val]"I have a photo to upload to you, can you please ID it and let me know what info you can find on him.">
Redjack

Val uploads a picture of the corpse's face, a large caliber hole in the right eye. Looking around the desk, a pair of stylish sunglasses and a pair of ear buds are still lying amongst a print out of a Russian newspaper. In the center drawer are some odds and ends: a pair of scissors, a few ink pens, a couple of nuyen coins, a button, a small sewing kit and a printout picture of Val with his arms around a girl.

<<@Val [Athena] Got the pic, I'll do what I can. This got something to do with the run? I got two guys on tap to add some muscle. Also, there is word that the oversupply at the clinic will be reallocated sometime tomorrow; Need to move tonight. I've been probing the system defenses and I've found a way to tail-gate in on a validated connection but I don't risk it until we are in motion. We need to lock this down and get in motion.... Any ideas on mage to replace Ghost?>>
Seth
Umbra

Umbra cautiously moves through the building, stopping to sniff. The smell of death was strong and disturbing, but one of Rat's early lessons was that death is cheap. Umbra thinks Mr Val needs this time with his memories. When Mr Val has found some more clues we can take them, and the gun, to Sergeant Nelson.

"Pretty Girl" Umbra said "Does Mr Val remember Pretty Girl?"
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:04pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Umbra takes a moment to close his eyes and sort through the smells assaulting him. To Val it appears as though the odd little ork is either going to sleep or meditating standing upright for a minute, breathing deeply and slowly. The ork definitely recognizes Val's scent in the room as well as the other several others. He comes the the unmistakable conclusion that the other man from the gun was in here as well as other men.... And a faint, very, faint smell of perfume; A nice perfume, not the cheap stuff that girls in the Barrens usually wear.
Saytr
Val

Val turns reached out his hand to touch the orc then retracted it not wanting the orc to swing that hug arm if he got suprised, he felt it best to let the orc do what ever it was he was doing until he opened his eyes again. <@Athena"Thanks that sounds awesome i might have found another too he is a bit odd but useful.I am following a few leads on my end but about to wrap up here. I agree we need get the wheels in motion so to speak and get those meds for the doc."> Val pauses and looks to Umbra "You know anyone who can use magic who is looking for work?"
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra thinks three maybe four men here. Man with gun was here. Umbra smell nice perfume. Expensive perfume. Umbra will remember if finds perfume again.

"Umbra doesn't know any spell casters. Mostly Umbra has had to fight spell casters." he tapped his arm. "Arm was present after killing last spell caster. Umbra thinks it would be nice to have a spell caster who Rat liked.

"Does Mr Val want to stay longer, or should I go tell Sgt Nelson we have found a body? Sgt Nelson told Umbra it was important to tell him if Umbra found bodies. It would be good to go and see Sgt Nelson, as he can track using numbers and maybe Sgt Nelson can track gun, or blood on gun"

Redjack

<<@Val [Athena] Ok. What time should I tell them to meet you and where?>>

Umbra then remember Arkansas. He tried following the shaman once, but lost the scent after the dwarf disappeared. He was standing in front of Umbra once moment then gone the next. When he tried to track him, there was no trail to follow.
Seth
Umbra

Umbra ponders a little longer. "Umbra knows one shaman. Shaman called Arkansas. Shamans can track using blood. "

"So Mr Val has a choice. Umbra and Mr Val can go see Sgt Nelson and track numbers on gun, and blood. Or Umbra and Mr Val can go see Arkansas. "

"Can Umbra tell Sgt Nelson about the bodies now?"
Saytr
Val

Val still mezomorized by the items in the desk takes the picture of the women and stuffs it in his jacket then searches the dead corpse or anything that might be useful. When Umbra mentions his Flatfoot friend he pauses to see if Umbra starts to smile like he was telling a joke but when the smile never comes Val starts to search the corpse again. "how about we hold of on telling anyone about this scene here until we know more i dont want to go tripping any triggers or ruining any chance of getting a drop on my enemies." When Umbra mentions his shaman friend he thinks that maybe he hit a break "can you call ur friend and have him meet us? i would like to offer him a job for tonight." Val needed to stop worrying about his past for tonight and get the job done then he could worry about his past, he needed the Nuyen to get more information.

Val listens to Athena's message they were getting close to show time and he needed to find some magical support quick. Val looks up a quick place to meet the muscle in the next hour and grab a bite to eat and plots the course@Athena[Val]" Have the muscle meet me at the here. i will talk business with them here."> Val sends Athena a link to the place <"also might have a lead on some magical support need to fish him out there and see if he is available.>
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:05pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

Having been to Ugly Bob Roadhouse just a few days ago, the place seemed as good as any to meet up with the muscle.
<<@Val [Athena] What time do you want to meet them?>>
Saytr
Val

<@Athena"say around six.">
Seth
Umbra

Umbra digs around in his breast pocket and pulls out a notepad and pen. Flipping to a page, he holds it out to Val

"Umbra show you Arkansas's details, you send him message, and maybe Arkansas can meet us soon"
Saytr
Val

Once finished up inside Val relocks the door on the way out and tries to wipe any finger prints from objects he touched. Once down stairs Val motions for Umbra to hope on the bike "Hope on i can take you to meet up with some associates of mine, We have some work tonight that need to get done and i think you will be very useful. Earn a little Nuyen while your at it too."

Val also sends a message to Umbra Friend<@Arkansas[Val]"Umbra put me in contact with you. If you wold like some work meet at Ugly Bob Roadhouse at 6:00 PM">
Redjack

The message to Arkansas does not make a live connection, rather, it connects to a message box at some MSP (Matrix Service Provider).
Umbra thinks for a moment about a job tonight. Arkansas spends his time in the Plastic Jungle, pretty much a matrix dead-zone. He should be able to track the shaman down there.... unless he doesn't want to be found.
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:06pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

"Umbra thinks that Arkansas is in Plastic Jungle. Mr Val could explain what 'job' is while Umbra and Mr Val go to Plastic Jungle. Umbra likes idea of Job."

Saytr
Val

Val tries to think of what the plastic jungle is, sounded like a playground for children maybe. He needed to have some sort of magic support though. Val prepares a message to be sent out as soon as they hit a area where he could get a signal. <@Athena[Val]" Change of plans i need to go to the Plastic Jungle to meet our magic support. Lets aim for 730. That is the soonest i can think of gettin to where i need to and still having enough time to get what we need. ">

Val shouts over his shoulder to Umbra "Lets hurry because the jobs is tonight and i will need his help for sure."
Seth
Umbra

"Umbra wonders: what is the Job."
Saytr
Val

Val keeps his attention on the road while he follows Umbras Directions and fills Umbra in on a plan to acquire medicine for the good doctor in the barrens."Basically we are taking some medicine and taking it to a clinic that needs it." Not fully trusting the orc Val needed to make sure he wouldnt rat him out to his cop friend so he didnt mention the fact that they were stealing from Doc wagon.
Seth
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:07pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle
Umbra

"Umbra likes helping people."
Redjack
Saturday, March 28th, 2071; 5:32pm; Redmond Barrens, Seattle

The duo head outside to the motorcycle. Val mounts up and the ork climbs on behind him. Umbra directs Val down 124th to Avondale Rd then up 20th. From there, the long unmaintained asphalt roads give way to dirt roads.. or perhaps trails. With a meet to keep, Val pushes the street bike dodging potholes that in some cases more accurately resemble pit traps.

Passing Echo Lake, they arrive at the edge of the Plastic Jungles. The bioplastic sheets stretch off into the distance. Here on the edges, the sheeting is tattered and frayed. The plants nearby are just beginning to grow in the early spring. Looking at the time, Val is already cutting it close for the six o'clock meeting up. Now he finds himself in the middle of no where, with miles of plastic sheeting hanging from some sort of tubing framework having followed the directions of an ork whose a about 4 rounds short of full cylinder looking for a spell slinger who he calls a friend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012