Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia & Jeremiah
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:05, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #968

Cynthia didn't seem surprised. Not to say she didn't learn anything, but she already knew most of it. She didn't seem pleased at all by any possible delay though "Money is not the issue. I could wire the agreed amount to a locked account for you to check that I have the money and can move it as I please, and I'd unlock it when it is done. As for that cultured thing..." she frowned "I have some trips planned pretty soon. Can't we speed things up, with Magic or something, surely that's an available option? I'd be ready to add ¥50k for that."

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I know normally the cultured bioware takes a bit of time. But as far as I know, there's no timetable given, and it's already been quite a long time since I've planned this bioware thing (it dates from October in fact), and given how fast we go, I'm not really eager to wait six more months :o
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 0907, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

Doctor Graber taps some additional information into her tablet then takes a small white cube from her pocket and places it down on the table in front of you. "Miss Rawson, this is a recording device and I would ask that you state you understand that our conversation is being recorded and stored in several locations. What you are asking is a bit irregular, but, yes, there are ways to speed up the culturing process. Unfortunately, there is a small chance that something could go wrong. While the chance is very minimal, I have to warn you that it does exist and that we may not know until after the implants are in and attached to your brain. Most of the defects are benign and some can be fixed with additional surgery, however, there is a chance that the effect could be severe and irreparable. It does cost more and that fee is non-refundable should you change your mind. In fact, all costs associated with the cultured bio-ware are non-refundable and payable in advance of the process being started. Our costs in culturing the 'ware are quite high and we cannot just use them on someone else because they are designed specifically for your system. Do you understand and accept these terms? If you do, please state your name and clearly indicate that you understand the risks and costs. I can provide you with some reading brochures if you wish to see the documentation on the procedure and its risks."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:07, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #969

With a slight frown, Cynthia listened. She nodded then, but before anything, did ask for the brochure to learn more about the costs and risks. Time was of the essence, that was true, but she was rather fond of her brain, and would like to avoid seeing it melt down. She looked at the recording device with a slight smile. She would be able to mess that up so easily... But she wasn't here to make trouble, and it wouldn't be fair: the doctor was only doing her job, and Cynthia herself was the one asking to take risks after all.

She nodded, and clearly said "I'm Cynthia Rawson, SIN number UCAS7C62-45KA-7821, I've read and understood the documentation given to me. I'm aware of, and accept, the risks and costs associated to the procedure I'm asking for." She paused, then looking at the doctor asked "Good enough?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 0913, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

Graber nods and reaches for the cube. "Perfect, Miss Rawson. There will be release forms for each procedure to sign as well. If you are willing to get started, I will leave for a few minutes to get things rolling and you need to remove your clothing and slip into the cute little hospital gown on the table. OK?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:13, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #970

"Sure." Cynthia nodded. Looking at the so-called 'cute little hospital gown', she didn't seem convinced though. When the forms are signed, she stood up and started to undress, to get into the designated thing. She didn't appear too embarrassed, but didn't seem too comfortable either though: she wasn't exactly fond of moving around with her back, and especially her butt, exposed...

Once "dressed" appropriately, she waited for the doctor to come back, looking around the office to pass the time. Mostly trying to not think about what was going to happen...and particularly not to what could happen. It was far riskier to just cross the road after all, right?
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 0916, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

A couple of minutes later, you hear a knock at the door and a male orderly pokes his head in far enough to ask if you are decent. When you say you are, he enters the room, pushing a wheelchair. "Your chariot has arrived, Miss Rawson. I am Charles and I am to take you down to the exam room."

He waits for you to seat yourself in the chair then wheels you out of the office and down the hall. He goes through a couple sets of doors and ends up in a room with a large examining table in it and a lot of unidentifiable medical monitors and instruments arrayed against the walls. He gets a blanket for you and places it on the table. "Here you go, Miss Rawson. You are to get onto the table and lie face up. You may use the blanket to cover yourself if you feel chilled. Someone will be in to see you in a few moments. Do you need any help getting on the table?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:16, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #971

"Hi." Cynthia greeted Charles with a slight smile. She looked at the wheelchair with distaste, since she was obviously able to walk by herself. That being said... Walking would risk expose her butt to the eyes of everyone she'd pass by, so maybe a wheelchair was for the best...as distasteful and awkward as it was.

In the room, she looked around for a moment, curious, and absent-mindedly answered "I'm pretty sure I can get on easily... Thanks." She waited a bit for Charles to leave before she climbed on it, laying the blanket on herself. Of course, she knew they'd probably remove everything as soon as she was under, but... Well, she still felt more comfortable that way.

To pass the time, she looked at the monitors and instruments, trying to determine what they were used for. Well at least for the monitors, she didn't really want to know about the instruments.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 0922, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

After a few minutes waiting, the door to the room opens and Doctor Graber walks in, accompanied by an older gentleman. They come to stand near you and Graber nods. "OK. Walt here has the tablet with the last forms you need to sign for what we are doing today. They are your authorization to do the requested implants and to transfer the necessary funds. Walt?"

The older man steps forward and hands you a tablet, pointing out where you need to sign. Several times. When he is gone, Doctor Graber smiles at you. "You will be pleased to know that is the most pain you will feel today. I want to go over what is going to happen, since you will be asleep for most of it. I am going to have you put under then I will do some scans of your brain and nervous system. Two reasons. First, it will tell me if you are one of the rare people that cannot take bio-implants. Second, it gives me the information I need to get the cultures going for Sunday, when we will have you back here for the second round of implants. If the scan is favorable, I will shave your head and open it to begin the procedures. Now, you don't mind letting me cut your hair off, do you? Believe it or not, that can be s show-stopper for some people. So, any questions so far?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:22, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #972

Cynthia signed the forms, taking care to read each and everyone of them. Since she read quickly, it wouldn't take that long, but she wanted to know what exactly there was in it. Not that she was expecting something untoward, but... Better safe than sorry. Especially when it was about her brain and more than half a million nuyens.

At the mention of cutting her hair, she grimaced. While she didn't like the idea of having her brain poked at, somehow shaving her hair seemed worse. She sighed, sadly "I suppose I'll survive..." She sighed once again "And I suppose I'll have to stay like that until Sunday?" She sighed mournfully "Maybe I can hide somewhere in the meantime." She grabbed a strand of hair to look at it, knowing there was no way she would be able to do so. But maybe some spell could grow them back quickly? She'd have to look into that... "How long will it take? Today and on Sunday?"

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Something that might be useful to know, Cynthia has the Biocompatibility [Bioware] quality.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 0923, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

The doctor chuckles as she brings one of the monitors over to you. "If nothing goes wrong, you will be awake and out of here in time for lunch. We do have a number of very realistic wigs to use if you want to look at them after we are done here. Sunday will be longer as there are more implants and the cultured ones a re a bit more difficult to get just right, say four to five hours. Again, if nothing goes wrong. Any final questions before I put you under?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 09:23, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #973

Cynthia shook her head. She didn't really want a wig, she wanted her hair... Of course, she also wanted...or needed at least...those implants... But the only part of her she had always loved was her hair, no matter what others thought of red hair. It had been her only pride, and she had let them grow to that length just because of it.

She sighed again "No, you can do it..." As she said that though, she gripped a strand of hair in her right hand, as if she didn't want to let go.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1154, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

You close your eyes for a second as the doctor is fitting some sort of mask over your face and open them to some steady beeping noises from at least three different places in the room. Doctor Graber comes over to look at you. "How do you feel? I told you you would be done by lunch time if everything went well. You are a good match for bio-ware and I have every confidence that there will be no ill side effects from the surgery or the implants. If you feel up to it, please try to sit up and check your motor functions. When you are ready, hop down off the table and try to walk to the wheelchair. Charles is here to catch you if you fall. Some patients experience a bit of nausea and a delay in the control of their muscles for a bit after this sort of operation. Now, you are free to leave the clinic, but I would advice having someone come pick you up or take a cab as I would seriously recommend that you do not drive anywhere for a few days. I want forty-eight hours to pass before I can do the next operations, so be back here at the clinic on Sunday at one PM for a surgery time of two. If you experience any, and I mean ANY, sort of difficulty after you leave here, I want you to call me immediately and I will come to where you are with a Docwagon team. ANy questions so far?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 11:54, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #974

Cynthia blinked, looking at the doctor as she sat up. How did she feel? She felt... Not that different? Then again, the most important parts of the bioware were planned for Sunday only, so... With a frown, she looked around for a second, as she answered at least some of the questions "I feel... Alright?" She seemed to think about that for a second, then not feeling anything wrong, nodded "At least I don't feel... Not right? Any way, I took a cab to come, and will take a cab to leave, so it's alright."

She took some time to check that everything was alright, and that she was able to move without issue. More importantly, she connected to the Matrix. It felt... Not really sluggish, but as if there were some kind of filter, between her and the Resonance, which made things a bit harder than previously. After half a minute, she felt that she would be able to get past that, but now was not the time.

She looked back at the doctor, and seemed more alert "Sunday, 1PM, call if feeling anything wrong. Sure." she put her feet on the ground then, and while she didn't feel anything wrong - they didn't touch anything down there after all - She proceeded cautiously: she really didn't want to fall on her face right now. Feeling ready, she went ahead and walked to the wheelchair where she sat. Feeling the air on her scalp, she whined lowly as she remembered that loss.

Sighing mournfully, she asked "No questions no, I think. Except... I hope I can eat? Like, five minutes from now?" receiving the green light from the doctor, she nodded, and indicated she was ready to be taken back to her clothes. On the way, she didn't say a word, and in fact looked like she was focused inwardly, as if she was trying to see what was different. What she was doing though was trying to pierce that veil that made using the Resonance.more difficult.

It took her a couple of minutes, but she was pleasantly surprised to notice that not only she managed to effectively remove the veil, but also go a step farther than that. Now that she thought about it, it had been a few days now that she was on the edge of something, but it was only now that she had a reason to try that she realised it was there. Not only did she manage to regain her faculties, it seemed she was also able to improve them a bit. Nothing to do with the surgery...probably...but it had been the trigger.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Without the cultured stuff (the two boosters, sleep regulator and mnemonic enhancer), the implants for now are:
- Platelet Factories, reduce physical damage by 1 (for a minimum of 1)
- Nephritic Screen 4, add 4d to resist diseases, drugs, toxins, etc. And Addiction tests. Reduce the base duration of drugs by 4 (on a drug lasting 12-Body hours, it becomes 8-body hours for example)
- Skin Pocket, on the right flank above the waist. Its just for Cynthia to hide datachips there. She will be directly connected to it since she touches it so will be able to store stuff there, but it's well hidden and not accessible from the Matrix.
- Clean metabolism, it's a gadget, nothing important. Though I hope it includes permanent epilation of the legs and armpits :o

With my Essence below 6.0, I lose one point of Resonance.
Through the magic of Karma though, I raise it back to 6, and go a step farther to raise it to 7. It doesn't change much, except that I now have one more die to resist Fade, I can thread Complex Form and compile Sprites up to Force 7 with risking only Stun damage, and the Device Rating of Cynthia's Persona is 7.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1210, Halverson Clinic, Seattle

As you get dressed you notice no real side effects of the surgery, but you are very much aware that the doctor had warned you that much could happen in the next forty-eight hours. You are allowed to sign yourself out of the clinic as long as you sign a waiver indicating that you understand the risks. There is a text message on your 'link when you check it after getting dressed. >>Cynthia [Sandy]: I hope you see this when you come out of surgery. I love you so much. Come home safe. Do you want me to come get you?<<
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 12:10, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Halverson Clinic, Seattle] #975

As soon as she was outside, before she even checked her messages, Cynthia opened the sack Claudia prepared for her and bit on the first sandwich. In fact, she practically wolfed it down before anything else. Feeling a bit better, she looked at her messages. In addition to Sandy's, she noticed there was one message with a bunch of attached files, regarding the recruitment for the house.

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Half done, the other half is for Sunday. I'm not a moron yet, so it went alright I think. Except...<< she tried to keep an even voice, but failed completely >>Sandy [Cynthia]: They shaved me...<< as she bit into her second sandwich, she hailed a cab, and directed it to the nearest shop where she would be able to get a shawl to hide her scalp.

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Just a few side errands to take care of and I'm coming back. Oh by the way, I'm forwarding you the applications for jobs in the house. Love you too. Oh and please, tell Claudia the sandwiches were much appreciated.<<

After that, Cynthia was pretty busy for a time. In addition to buy a couple of shawls, she read the applications, checked to see if she had received a message from the University regarding her own application, asked Sherlock if he had found anything regarding the suppliers or the hit & run, and retrieved the logs her various bugs collected: from Tanaka of course, but also from Luke and Mark Franklin, as well as Jason.

Once she bought her shawls though, she didn't head directly for home. Instead she went to Little Japan. First, to get some dessert, but it was mainly for apparences' sake, since her goal was to get a bug into the third Yakuza lieutenant. She was pretty sure he had nothing to do with Sampson, but she had to be sure, and she had some idea about what she should do with everything she had mapped regarding Yakuza operations. Of course, while she inserted the bug, she would also look for what was present on his 'link (or 'links, since he probably had more than one) both as a way to get whatever she could but also to test herself. She hoped nothing would go wrong, and she had her new ease in manipulating the Resonance to check.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1215, Seattle

The response from Sandy comes back almost immediately, almost as if she had been waiting for your message. >>Cynthia [Sandy]: I am so glad that you are alright. Please forgive me for worrying. I am so sorry about your hair. We will do something about that when you get home. Claudia says that you are welcome. I got the applications earlier from LeBeuf. Claudia and I have been going over them and some look pretty good.<<

There is a message from the university, letting you know that your application to attend the fall semester has been approved. There is a small complication regarding two of the classes and you are asked to come in to the registrar's office to sort things out. No appointment necessary.

Tanaka's stuff is the normal drivel you have come to expect from him.

Sherlock has no additional information at this time.

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 12:15, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Little Japan, Seattle] #976

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: There's nothing to forgive. And I can't say I'm happy about the hair. I should have know obviously but... Do you think there's a spell to regrow that fast? Oh by the way, I got news from the University, and it looks like I have to go there, so I'll do that right now. I should be home around 14:00 or so. Probably.<<

In Little Japan, Cynthia looked for Shinosetsu's 'link (and any 'link in very close proximity, which could indicate another 'link belonging to the Yakuza) and Marked it. She introduced her bug then looked into to it to grab everything of value. Once done, she removed her Marks and hailed a new cab to go to the University, to find out what the problem was.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Perception, Hack on the Fly, Software, Matrix Perception: 17d6t5 9 19d6t5 6 15d6t5 5 17d6t5 8, pretty nice all around, Shinosetsu's 'link shouldn't be a problem at all (in order, looking for the 'link, hacking it, tweaking the bug for this specific 'link or 'links if there are two, and looking for the interesting stuff in there. In every case, the limit is 6)
Mercy
OOC

Do you have the right guy? Shinosetsu does not live in Little Japan. Unless I have the guys mixed up in my head.
Imladir
~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

I've just checked, I'm the one who mixed things up...but that was before that. The first time they were situated, Shinosetsu was in Little Japan and Watanabe in the Hilton Towers. When I went to check on the guy in the Hilton Towers, the one with the guarding Sprites, I named it Shinosetsu. Sorry :o
I can go back and edit, or we can just change and say it's Shinosetsu in the Hilton Towers and Watanabe in Little Japan with Tanaka.

In any case, the one Cynthia bugs now is the guy in Little Japan with Tanaka.
Mercy

You have no real trouble linking up with Watanabe's 'link. He apparently only has the one and does not use it for "business" calls. You find nothing more than mundane calls between him and his wife and kids.

The university registrar has you fill out some paperwork that you are fairly certain could have been done the first time you were here.

OOC:

Let's stick with Watanabe in Little Japan.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:17, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #977

Cynthia was quite disappointed. Of course, the fact that a Yakuza lieutenant was cautious enough to not use his 'link for "business" shouldn't be surprising. In fact, Tanaka's carelessness was pretty stupid. Still, one gets used to the opposition being dumb. There wasn't much she could do about that though.

In the University, Cynthia filled the papers without complaining. Not that she was happy about it, but she supposed that expressing her displeasure would make things even more difficult. She stuck around for a few minutes once she was done, in case it was just a pretext to have her here for someone to have an opportunity to talk to her, but she was pretty eager to get back home.
Mercy

The assistant registrar that you see today is a relatively cute guy who seems to take a liking to you. After you finish filling out the forms, he looks them over. "These look good. I am pretty sure that you should be good to go. Now, it says on your form that you are to have an interview with a couple of the profs. Has that been arranged for you yet, to your knowledge?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:17, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #978

With the lack of hair at that moment, and despite the shawl, Cynthia was not really in the mood to be liked by anyone. Still, she tried to not be too abrupt with the guy: it wasn't his fault after all. At his question, she just shrugged "I was told yesterday that I'd be contacted, which hasn't happened yet. So no, not that I know."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1215, University of Washington, Seattle

The young man smiles at you. "Well, let me send out a reminder to the prof's TAs and see if I can't get one to give you a call" A few keystrokes later and he smiles again. "Alright, messages sent. Is there anything else I can do to help you this afternoon? Say, it is lunch time; would you like to go to the cafe across the street and get something to eat?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:17, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #979

Cynthia hesitated. She didn't really want to play the card of favouritism, but... She also wanted to get the best available. Finally, she decided making sure she succeeded was more important than anything else, and she sent a short message >>Margot Freed [Cynthia]: Hello, sorry to disturb you, I'm currently taking care of my application for the semester. Since I'm asking to skip the beginner courses I'm told there's an interview with teachers and/or TAs, do you know anything about it that could help me?<<

There. She didn't ask for anything, so Freed shouldn't feel obligated to do anything, but if she wanted to, she'd be able to. Finally, she smiled lightly at the assistant in front of her, and shook her head "Sorry, already ate. And I'm expected at home."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1215, University of Washington, Seattle

>>Cynthia [Margot Freed]: No bother dear, I am between classes. There is a requirement for an interview, yes. Too many students with money and no common sense think that they can get into advanced classes and sleep their time away then get a passing grade so that they can get a rung a bit farther up the corporate ladder. I do not see a request here for an interview, though. If you are still interested in the class, please have someone at the registrar's office set that up and I will talk to you.<<

The young man's face shows some disappointment. "Oh well. Can;t fault a guy for trying. Is there anything else I can do to help you?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:18, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #980

>>Margot Freed [Cynthia]: Makes sense I guess. I hope the TAs are good... I'll ask for the course, thanks.<<

Cynthia lightly smiled, apparently not bothered by the invitation. Even if she thought that a bit awkward, she thought it would be better to not show it. She nodded though "Hum, maybe. There's a course I'd be interested in that I don't see in the list." She gave the required information "Is there anything you can do about that?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1216, University of Washington, Seattle

The young man nods and taps on his terminal. "Hmmm, that course has had some drops but this does not say why. There are only eight students still enrolled, which is the minimum needed for the class. You still interested?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:18, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #981

"Pretty sure I know why some people dropped." Cynthia didn't seem concerned though. In fact, it was probably for the best, even if some of those staying would probably be here thinking they'd get easy credits more than anything else "Nothing to do with me though, so yep, still interested."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1216, University of Washington, Seattle

"Sure. OK, let's see what I can do for you. Mmm Hmmm. OK, you're in, or at least in as much as I can do for you here. You will need to do the interview as well and have just sent a request for that to the prof."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:18, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #982

"Alright thanks, I don't think I'll have any problems on that side." She waited a few seconds, then added "If that's all?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1217, University of Washington, Seattle

He shakes his head. "Nope, not unless you have anything else you need?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:18, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #983

Cynthia shook her head "Nope, I'm all good, thanks." She stood up "Thanks for your help. Good afternoon." With a nod, she exited the room.

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Alright, I'm done here, so I'll be on my way I guess.<<

As she exited the building to catch a cab, she started to look into the more or less public files of FBI agents in the organised division. She was looking for someone whose integrity she would be pretty sure of, so maybe an agent whose had suffered from the actions of the Yakuza or anything in the same style. Not a cowboy with a bone to pick, but who would be able to take the right decision with some of the data she had collected.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1217, University of Washington, Seattle

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Great! Can't wait to see you. Getting ready to see people and some are already lining up.<<

A quick check of the open FBI data base reveals three possible choices, but the personnel files are very well protected and not kept at the local office.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:18, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Seattle] #984

>>Sandy [Cynthia]: Already? They're early... I was about to suggest we met at Sophie's to talk about it, and ask her any questions we may have, but I suppose I'll come straight home then...<<

Hacking FBI's personal files aren't exactly what Cynthia wants to do. First, because it would be too risky, and second...Well, risky is reason enough. Still, despite not having access to those files, there were plenty of ways to find information on someone: many people weren't as careful as they should with their information, and often left things to be found. Of course, it required someone good enough to follow the breadcrumbs and assemble a correct image, but hopefully, she was good enough. And if she wasn't... Well, she could always ask someone else to do that work while she focused on more important things.

In fact... Maybe she could ask Claudia? She wouldn't completely be on the sidelines that way. It would quickly become obvious, if it wasn't already, that both Sandy and her were involved in something after all. Though for now at least, she could start things up. Plus, Claudia was taking care of that recruitment thing at the moment anyway.

Still, after a few minutes, she had to admit that there was no way she'd find anything really decisive in just a few minutes. She laid back in the cab, and dozed off. She only emerged some time later, when she reached her destination. She paid for the course, then got back into town.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Matrix Search: 15d6t5 4, I assume I don't find much, or at least nothing really interesting.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1257, Cajun Town, Seattle

>>Cynthia [Sandy]: Yeah, me too. A couple showed up right about noon and now there are seven people just standing out on the walk. They seem to be very patient and willing to wait for the agreed-on time. Claudia and I took them some lemonade and they were pleased.<<

You short foray to the matrix brings you little more than you already know:

Senior Agent Stanley Sergeant: Wife and daughter were killed by a Yakuza hit team when he was assigned to the Denver office as a liaison to that city. He had been the intended target.
Agent Sonya Dodd: Fiance was killed by a Yakuza gunman. He had been a Senior Agent at the time and was on a human trafficking sting but was killed in a shootout when things went bad,
Agent Willis Barnes: Crippled and left in a wheelchair when his car was bombed on the orders of a Yakuza lieutenant. He is on desk duty now in the records divicion.

The deputy at the arch nods at you and welcomes you back to the town, as do the townspeople you pass on the street. Two tourists ask if you will pose for a photo with them. You realize that your clothes could easily give them the impression that you are a local. Well, come to think of it, you are a local, aren't you?

The three old men are on Sophie's porch, rocking back and forth in their chairs. All smile and nod your way.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 12:57, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Cajun Town, Seattle] #985

Cynthia files the information for later. Likely to give to Claudia as a base. She seemed surprised when asked by the tourists if they could take a photo with her. After a couple of seconds of hesitation, she nodded, and let them take their photo. She did take some precautions though, and accessed the device memory to slightly alter her image: not by a lot, but enough to make sure a search wouldn't flag that picture as her.

She greeted the three men on the way, but didn't stop: she was expected at home, and she was a bit worried about what she'd find once there...
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1257, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

There is a line of nine people waiting on the pathway in front of the front porch by the time you get to the walkway. As you reach the paved walkway, you notice that the boathouse on the river looks a bit better than it had a couple of days ago. More of the paving stones are in place and clear of the weeds that had been growing up between them. The line of people turns to watch you and nods at you as you approach, the men all tipping their hats. There is a large tray of glasses and a pitcher of lemonade on the porch; a hand-written placard in front of it indicating that everyone should help themselves to some while they wait. The porch looks in remarkable condition for its age. and you do not see a broken window on the front of the house.

As you enter the house, you hear Sandy calling out. "Cynthia, is that you?" You barely have to wait two seconds before she is running towards you and embracing you. "God! I was worried. All sorts of crazy and silly thoughts were going through my head." She turns to where Claudia is coming into the room. "Claudia was worried too."

Claudia looks a bit embarrassed as she shakes her head. "No, I wasn't. Sensitive brain surgery is the simplest of things these.........................OK, I was nervous as hell, too. Welcome home." She looks a bit red in the face as she says that.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 12:57, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Cajun Town, Seattle] #986

Cynthia grumbled "Yeah, that's me." She answered to Sandy's embrace with one of her own and lightly smiled to Claudia "Actually, they didn't really touch my brain yet. They had to do a scan for Sunday though. Which is why..." With a sigh, she raised her hand to the side of head and shook it sadly. She then rested it on Sandy's shoulder for a minute, before finally stepping back "Anyway... Shall we look at those applications? If you tell me there's only one application for each job, you'll make me happy..."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1310, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Sandy nods and takes an arm as Claudia comes up and takes the other and the three of you pass out of the hallway under the watchful eyes of the portrait. Sandy squeezes your arm. "How did you guess? It is so very strange, but yes, there is only one applicant per position, except for where we have multiple openings, like for maids and the grounds. And even then, there are no extras. By now, I should expect that from this place, but it is still no fragging odd."

Claudia gives your other arm a slight tug. "The hair will grow back and the scarf is a nice touch. So we still have a bit of time, do you need anything to eat?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:10, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Cajun Town, Seattle] #987

Cynthia seemed pensive for a moment, then shrugged "It's more likely that they talked about it among themselves and decided who should apply for which position." She grimaced "If that's the case, let's hope they decided for the right people. It would be...awkward..."

At Claudia's mention of her hair, she sighed "I know but..." she sighed again "It's just... Well, it's the only part of me that I've always liked, despite what some thought of red hair, so to have them shaved..." She looked pretty sad, then shrugged "I'll try to see if there's a Mage in town who's able to regrow them fast... Anyway. I've stopped by Little Japan on the way and I got some dessert there, so I'm alright for now." She paused "I may have a small job for you if you have some time?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1310, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia looks at you. "What do you have in mind?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:10, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Cajun Town, Seattle] #988

"Let's say that I have...damaging...information regarding Yakuza operations. I'd like to give that to someone who would be able to do something about it. And by doing something, I don't mean running to the Yakuza with it hoping for a reward. I've narrowed it down to three FBI agents." She sent the files to Claudia "But choosing the right one would take some time, and I have other things on my plate right now. Integrity and cunning are the two top qualities I'm looking for here. There's plenty to do with what I have, but depending on how it's used, it could go from a slap on the Yakuza's collective wrist to something...well, not debilitating I suppose, but that could really hurt them. It requires building on what I have and not rushing headlong. Given the history of those people... Assuming it's not fake, their integrity shouldn't be a concern. Their ability to remain cool-headed however..."

She paused, then raising an eyebrow, added "Don't go hacking the FBI servers though... Is that ok?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1311, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

As the three of you go into the kitchen, you see stacks of paper on the large table there. Sandy motions to them, saying, "We started looking at the applications and they are ALL on paper. Real fragging paper. Who uses that stuff anymore? Anyway, that is when we found that the odd relationship between the applications and the ad. There are exactly the right number of apps as have been advertised. I really am not sure what we are living in, Cynthia, but if I did not feel that I was supposed to be here I would be running away."

Claudia nods in agreement with Sandy, but then looks at you. "OK. So if not the FBI servers, you want me to look at the individuals? You mentioned three agents, so do you have any information on them that can help get me started?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:11, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #989

"Paper..." Cynthia shook her head, then sat down with a sigh "We can't really call that a recruitment if there's only one person per post..." She started to read the files, as quickly as usual, while she answered Claudia.

"Looking into the FBI's database would likely result in some fried synapses, so it's indeed best to avoid that. As for the information, I just sent you what I had on those three." She paused, frowning, as she read one of the files but soon continued "You don't need to go too far either, I don't need to know every little thing on them. At worse..." She shrugged "It doesn't go right, I'll just release the information publicly or something." She grimaced lightly, obviously not really liking that idea "You could just send a Sprite to do the work by the way, it's probably easy enough, just a bit time consuming."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1311, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia nods. "I will be careful. Thank you for letting me help, but can I ask what you are doling with information on Yak activities? How dangerous is this?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:11, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #990

"A lot?" Cynthia cocked an eyebrow "Like I said, it's pretty damaging. It's nowhere near complete, but it contains pretty much everything one of the Oyabun's... That's the boss... One of the Oyabun's lieutenant businesses. Oh and the fact that he's sleeping with his boss's wife and one of the other lieutenant's. As for what I'm doing with it... I had to look into said lieutenant for a job I'm working on. Nothing directly related to the yakuza, but it would be a shame to not use any of that to get those scums in trouble. One of the main issues is that while the cops often know, they seldom have proofs. Well, now they will. And if they use that correctly, they could even use the lieutenant as a mole for a while. That or something else, no idea what would be best."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1313, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia smiles and nods her head. "I guess I better get cracking. Before or after this interview thing?"

Sandy smiles at her. "I think that you had better stay and do the interviews with us."

They both turn to look at you.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:11, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #991

"Of course." Cynthia nodded "While I'd like to have the results as soon as possible, it's not that urgent." After a small pause, she grimaced "Not that those interviews have much sense though. It's not like they'll tell us stuff we don't want to hear, and since we won't really have a choice to make anyway..."

She shook her head, and focused back on her pile of paper, going from one sheet to another in a matter of seconds. At some point, a bit out of the blue, she asked Claudia "Hey, tell me, do you like Astronomy?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1320, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Both of the others nod at your comment about the interviews. Sandy holds out two of the applications. "Yes, I agree, but I think it is important that all three of us be present for this, even if we are just going through the motions."

There is a loud knock on the outer door. Claudia rises. "I will get that. I need to check on the lemonade situation, anyway." She goes to the ice box and takes out a large pitcher of the drink and winks at you as she leaves the room.

Sandy takes one of your hands and puts it to her mouth, kissing it before rubbing her cheek against it. "So, you really are OK? And the worst is still to come on Sunday? God, I was so worried today and you say this was the easy part. I am so going to be a wreck." She pauses then looks at you without letting go of your hand. "So.............Claudia. What do you think? We had a good chat while you were gone. I had to do something to keep my mind from wandering to you. I think that she is nice. The house apparently does, as well. What do you think?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012