Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangled Currents - Cynthia & Jeremiah
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:20, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #992

"Hum, yes, I suppose." Cynthia nodded, then shrugged "If nothing else, I guess it'll serve as an introduction."

She looked up in surprise at the knock, wondering what this was about. When Claudia got up to take care of it, she nodded and let her go alone. As Sandy took her hand, she snorted lightly "Yes I'm sure I'm alright. Didn't feel a thing." she paused and grimacing added "Well, except for the hair..." she shook her head with a sigh. After a couple of seconds, she resumed "As for Claudia..." She turned to look at the portrait "I don't know about nice, but the house seems to think she belongs here. I hope it doesn't think so of every single person coming around or it'll get crowded fast. And I wouldn't like that." She rubbed her lips for a second "But... I suppose? I didn't get to talk to her much after all. I hope she'll be okay, whatever the situation with her mother ends up to be." she grimaced slightly, thinking back to her own. No matter what she had told herself, it had hurt, and there was no doubt it would hurt Claudia too, even if she convinced herself the decision was hers.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1322, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia returns with a handsome young man who appears to be in his twenties. He is dressed in an immaculate period gray suit with a gray bow tie and a top hat under one arm He is carrying a suitcase in his other hand. He bows to you and Sandy and waits for Claudia to sit down before placing the hat on a chair and the briefcase on the floor. He reaches into an inside pocket of his suit and withdraws a small card case, taking three business cards from it and offering one to each of you. "Misses Cynthia, Sandy, and Claudia, I am Richard Garner, at your service. I represent the firm of Garner and Garner, attorneys at law. My father, Daniel Garner, who is ailing at the moment and not able to come himself or he would." He motions to the briefcase at his feet. "May I?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:22, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #993

Cynthia looked at the young man, clearly surprised. She nodded when he asked if he could sit "Uh... Sure?" She exchanged a look with Sandy, wondering what that was about. He probably wasn't looking for employment, but that left a wide range of possibilities "What can we do for you?"

Waiting for the answer, she neatly piled the sheets of paper. It probably didn't matter much, but she didn't want to let anyone read them since some of the information could be considered private. Considering the place, everyone knew of everything if not before it happened, as soon as it had, but still...
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1322, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

The young man smiles at you as he puts his briefcase on the table and opens it. He removes a stack of papers that look to be very old. Some of them have curled edges and corners and a few look to be cracked with age marks. When he has the papers out, he slides the briefcase aside a bit and takes a set in the chair opposite you, who is seated in the middle. "I think you have it wrong, Miss Cynthia, although I can see where you might get that opinion. But no, it is what I can do for you, well, my firm to be more exact. We have represented the house for just under a thousand years, now, and it has been profitable for both the firm and the house. As of the markets this morning, the net worth of the house is just a bit over sixty-seven million nuyen. I can show you the exact figures if you like. It is my great privilege to offer our services to you in the hope that you will agree to maintain us as your personal attorneys and financial advisers. I know you must have questions, but before I can say more, I need to have signatures from each of you on several documents. If you do not have the time, I can return when it is more convenient to do so."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:22, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #994

"Sixty seven what!?" Cynthia stared wide eyed at Richard, rubbing her ears as if she was afraid there was a problem with those. She shook her head after a second, deciding that she had indeed correctly heard. Not that she didn't have trouble accepting, but... She looked at Sandy and Claudia for a moment. She wouldn't be surprised if Claudia didn't understand: she probably didn't know too much about any of it. Sandy knew as much as she did though, and the look of disbelief in her eyes told her that she wasn't the only one feeling like she was out of her depth.

She laid her hands on the table "I have some troubles understanding everything. I mean, I can get how a house like that could be worth that much. I can even imagine how old owners created a trust-fund or something, earning enough the maintain the house and pay for the staff in addition to it. And if you've been taking care of that for so long - which raises another question, considering that as far as I know most of the people in town lived somewhere else a century ago - I don't see how I could prevent you from continuing to do so. What I do not understand, is how any of that could be mine. Mr. LaBoeuf tried to explain but..." She shook her head "Maybe I'm a bit slow regarding that, but I have trouble wrapping my head around that."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1323, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Sandy and Claudia are both looking like they are having trouble processing what the man had said. Richard clears his throat. "Yes, well. I imagine that this will take some getting used to. Strictly speaking, the money, or most of it, belongs to the house and is to be used to pay staff and do upkeep, that sort of thing. The current owners, that would be you three, get an allowance for your own personal use. You are allowed 1% of the principal each year for as long as you own and live in the house. There are some other requirements as well, but they are not harsh and I hope that you can live by them." He turns in his chair and motions to the portrait. "The house is content so far and that is good enough for me, but there are legal forms to fill out and file, just to keep things legal. I should not have to tell you that you will need to pay taxes on whatever part you withdraw."

He looks at you then around the room. "As to where the house has been, well that is a secret for the house to tell you when you are ready to hear it and it is ready to tell you. I do not really know how old the house is or all of the places it has been, but maybe you can find out and let us all know. What I do know is that this place is special. Very special."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:23, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #995

"That I have no trouble believing." Cynthia rubbed her eyes for a second, then shrugged, looking at both Sandy and Claudia "Alright, don't look a gift horse in the mouth and all that I suppose..."

She looked at the forms, then grumbled "But if there are things to sign, I need to work on my signature..." She borrowed a pen and piece of paper, and scribbled a few times until she got something she was satisfied with. When she did, it looked simple yet elegant. She signed a few more times, to get used to it, then nodded "Okay, let's see those documents." She paused, then looked at Claudia "Are you okay with this?"

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Artisan [Create signature]: 10d6t5 4, yeah i know, an Artisan roll for this is a bit overkill but I need to use that skill for something else than cooking ^^
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1323, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia is still looking at Richard as if she cannot really understand what has been said. She shakes her head as if to clear it when you talk to her. "If you mean am I OK with being part of this, fragging aye right I am. So tell me, is this an invitation to stay more than a few days?"

Richard clears his throat again. "I am afraid it will have to be, ladies. The requirements are quite clear that all owners must be living at the house. There are clauses that allow you to take vacations or be absent for work related reasons, but this is to be your place of residence. All three of you will need to sign the contract." He looks around. "Perhaps I should take a walk in the garden while you discuss this issue?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:23, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #996

Cynthia waved the proposition away "There's nothing much to discuss." Looking at Claudia, she said "The invitation had always been for as long as you wanted." That might not be exactly the truth, but it wasn't too far away from it, so it was alright. With a smirk, she added "And if I say otherwise, I'd get kicked out and become homeless, that would be pretty sad..." She pointed at the forms "So all you need to do, is sign. As for the rest..." She shrugged "We'll figure it out on the way."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1324, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Claudia blushes but nods as she reaches for the papers. Richard passes them out one at a time and shows where each of you needs to sign each form. You are a bit pleased to note hat there are only three spaces for signatures on each page he hands you. When all are finished, he neatly arranges all of the papers in a stack and places them inside his briefcase. Closing it, he looks at all three of you and smiles. "All done at this end. Please give me a few business days to get the funds transferred to the accounts you have provided me. You will be informed when you can begin withdrawing money. At this time I would like to offer the assistance of our firm as your financial advisers. You may, of course, decline the offer, but I do urge you to consult with someone over the use and investment of your funds. It is very easy to spend even the amount of money you have and then be in need, but there is no provision in the contract for us to advance you more than the 1% per year. I hope that you understand that?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:24, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #997

Cynthia nodded "Sure. I'm not exactly poor anyway and I can earn a pretty decent amount, so as far as I'm concerned that money is not really necessary." She glanced at Sandy and Claudia "And in the meantime, I can lend them some if they need it." She rubbed her chin "But it doesn't hurt to have than 'financial advising'. Even if I don't know what we could use it for." She looked to the ceiling, with a grin "Well, no, actually I do have an idea, but that's my own project, so I'll pay for it from my pocket."

She looked back at the case with a frow "There was three spaces to sign on. How did you know? Are you going to tell me that the documents somehow appeared on your desk and that you just brought them over?"
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1326, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Richard smiles as he stands up. "You can believe what you like, Miss Cynthia, but that is exactly what happened. If you have nothing else for me, I will be on my way. You have my cards so please contact me if you have any needs or questions. I will always be available to help if I can." He takes up the briefcase and his top hat and bows to all three of you. "I can show myself out. Thank you for agreeing to see me with no notice. Good afternoon, ladies."

With that he walks out of the room and towards the front door. Sandy and Claudia are sitting there, just watching him walk away. Sandy is the first to shake her head. "Frag, did all of that just happen or am I dreaming?"

Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:26, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #998

Cynthia cocked her head to the side "If it's a dream, would you want to know?" She looked back at the pile of documents for the recruitment, then sighed "Well, back to work I suppose." She frowned "Or maybe I should go see if Renee has prepared more of my clothes now?" She grimaced slightly and shrugged, obviously deciding it could wait.

After a minute or two, she sighed, obviously bored out of her mind. Reading fast didn't make it any more interesting than it was. She looked around, hoping for some distraction that would allow her to do something more interesting.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1331, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Sandy nudges you. "Hey, you OK? You seem distracted." She leans over and takes your head in her hands and kisses you deeply. When she breaks the kiss, she places her forehead against yours. "I love you, Cynthia, you can tell me anything."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:31, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #999

"Hum? Oh..." Cynthia sighed "Yeah. It's just...so boring..." She didn't whine. Well, not quite. Alright, maybe she did. To keep her mind at least a bit active, she checked her messages, to see if there was anything new that could give her at least a decent excuse for doing something else for a while.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1333, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Sorry, no new messages at this time. Sandy does seem to note your discomfort and takes your hand. "Why don't you go lay down for a bit? I am sure you will feel better when you wake up. Or maybe a walk in the garden? All of this combined with people messing about in your head is bound to take its toll. I can come get you when it is time."
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:33, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #1000

"You sure?" Deciding that she was, Cynthia got up and stretched a bit "I'll go see what secrets the garden has for us then, I'm not really tired." Despite saying that, she had to refrain from yawning. She kissed Sandy on the cheek, smiled at Claudia, then waved at the both of them and exited the house, but not from the main entrance: she didn't want to speak to anyone right now, and she'd have to speak to each and everyone of them soon enough anyway.

Plus, now that she had talked about it, she was quite curious about the garden, something she had barely seen the day before.

~~~~~~ OOC ~~~~~~

Message #1000 smile.gif
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1334, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Leaving by the back door, you fins yourself looking out over what should be an expanse of lawn leading off to a formal garden and some hedges. You can see the tip of a roof beyond the hedge row in front of you. Most of the lawn and gardens are overgrown with weeds and grass and the entire area looks a bit ramshackle at the moment. There is certainly a lot of work here for the gardener and his assistants.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:33, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #1001

Cynthia didn't mind the weeds, or the state of the garden. At least it felt alive, and it was nothing that couldn't be fixed. At least the gardeners would earn their keep. She wandered for a few minutes, with no specific aim, merely enjoying the moment - and thinking that she was too covered for it - before going in the direction of the roof she had seen, curious to know if it was the neighbour's or an annex they didn't know anything about.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1344, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Approaching the hedges you notice that they separate part of the yard from the rest of it, almost like a box. Entering through the opening, you step into a sort of hedge maze. The passage between the walls to either side are about six feet wide, with some benches in spaces that are a bit wider. All is overgrown, with bits of hedge sticking out into the passages and vines, roots, and grasses almost choking the way forward in a few places, making it difficult to get past, but not impossible if you wish to proceed.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 13:44, Friday June 14th, 2075 - Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #1002

Cynthia hesitated for a moment. With a sigh though, she turned away: she really wanted to know what was in there, but she didn't have the right clothes for that. Just thinking about what Renee would say if she ripped the skirt - to say nothing of Renaud if she scratched her boots - she shuddered. No, for the time being, she'd wait, and would come back later.

Instead she wandered some more, to finally sit under the shade of a tree, thinking about how things could become. She closed her eyes for a minute, but as was often the case, it was just the beginning of a nap.
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1344, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

Footsteps disturb you and you open your eyes, needing to shade them a bit from the afternoon sun. A young man in a fancy, dove grey suit is standing before you. He is wearing a grey top hat and has a decorative walking stick in his left hand as he bows low to you and offers his hand to help you stand up. You have seen him around, maybe one of those young men sniffing about after papa's money and your virginity. Gene Something. You laugh a bit to yourself. Gene Something, from the Other Somethings from up Memphis way. No, not THAT side of the Somethings, but the other side, the handsome but broke side. Of course he is after your money...............and your virginity. What eligible bachelor in the surrounding five counties wasn't? Doesn't matter that there are prettier belles about, but none of them have your papa's money and that can make a man overlook certain physical faults. Not that you are bad looking, mind you, but you don't hold a candle to Sadie Brooks. But Sadie Brooks' father does not have your papa's money, either, and that makes you VERY desirable indeed.

By the time you realize that Gene Something is talking to you, you have missed a good bit of what he is saying. Well, not matter. As your mother has said many times, "The words coming out of a man's mouth are firstly not to be trusted, but secondly they do not usually make any sense at all."

Anyway, he is looking at you with piercing grey eyes that match his suit and hat. How odd to see grey eyes, but there you have it, he does have some of the greyest, most intense eyes you have ever seen. He is still talking to you and you finally deign to listen. "I said, Miss Cynthia, that as you are ignoring your party guests, perhaps you would care to ignore them in my company. I was thinking of taking a stroll into the maze to see this famous gazebo of yours."

Famous indeed. You have never seen it. To your knowledge, no one ever has. It is like a secret the House keeps to itself. The maze has proven to be quite difficult to navigate. Oh, it is easy to make it through the first few rows, but then it becomes quite tricky. People have sworn that the maze actually moves so as to keep the hidden center hidden. Rumors abound at what might lie in the middle. Some say there is buried treasure there and other stories hint at something darker and a bit sinister and words like "body", "murder", and "disappearance" are used in one rumor or another. Gene Something adds to his earlier words. "Would you care to accompany me to try to debunk the rumors and make it to the center?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Something - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1003

Cynthia gracefully accepts Gene's hand to get back on her feet. When he suggests going into the Maze, she cocks a mocking eyebrow "The centre of the Maze, no less? My, someone's ambitious and optimistic. I certainly do have to see this." Hands in her back, she cocked an eyebrow "You realise that as far as I know, no one ever made it? I suspect it's simply because the Maze is made such that there is no centre." She shrugged "But if you want to try, by all means, we shall go. Do not expect me to help though, it's your challenge."
Mercy
Cynthia Something - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming

Gene Something, of the handsome but broke side of the Something family, leans a bit closer and catches your eyes with his piercing grey ones as he whispers softly. "No, Miss Cynthia, it is YOUR challenge. Find the center and claim the reward of knowledge, or buried treasure, or whatever is there. Of course, there is always the chance that we will not find the center this time as our time is limited by the need to return to your father's side as hostess. But I think that we have a bit of time."

He straightens and offers you an arm as he escorts you towards the Maze. You have often wondered about the enigma in your back lawn. None of the gardeners will go near it, but it never seems to be in need of trimming. The sight of the gazebo roof over the hedges has taunted hundreds of people to attempt to find it, but to your knowledge no one ever has. You have even gone to the roof parapet of the house to try to look into the deeper recesses of the Maze, but even a telescope cannot seem to give you any hints. There are stories of individuals and small groups of explorers that have gone into the Maze and never returned and some people have theorized that they had been unlucky enough to find the center and were killed by what they found.

Gene takes you to the arched entrance and something tugs at your mind then flits away. He motions forward into the Maze. "Shall we, Miss Cynthia?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1004

"My challenge?" Cynthia squinted, looking dubiously at Gene Something. She snorted lightly "As for time, I'll just say you insisted on being shown the Maze. But you do realise some say finding the centre of the Maze is the best way to never come out of it?"

In front of the entrance, she cocked her head to the side, trying to catch what quickly went through her mind, but soon shook her head "Alright." She smiled teasingly "So, what will be your stance? Ladies first or the man taking the vanguard?"
Mercy

The guy from the Something family takes your arm and guides you into the Maze. After a few feet you turn a corner and are unable to see the outside world. He reaches out and touches the wall of green next to him and everything shifts to sparkling lines of blue streams that are constantly moving. The walls of the Maze have become a mass of blue ribbons of resonance, each carrying some form of data. He drops your arm and motions to the walls. "This time it is not simply finding a resonance strand, but finding and holding the RIGHT resonance strand. All of these strands can lead you to where you need to go, but the trick is keeping the strand. See how they move and change position within the wall? You must choose one strand, and only one strand, and make it the one you will follow. Do not be discouraged if you lose the strand as the Maze will do its best to confuse and mislead you and you might fail many times. Each time you fail, you will find yourself back here. There is great reward for finding the center, but a great reward means that there is a great risk as well."

He pauses and puts a hand on your forehead and memories come flooding in. You remember everything from your first journey with him. The trek, the pool of resonance, the visit to the resonance world, everything. "You are a brilliant resonance wizard, or will be if you continue on this path and succeed. The journey will be long and fraught with danger. There is great evil in the resonance; you have felt it and others have told you about it. This evil is working to claim this world you call home, but it is not yet ready to strike. It is making motions and there are some of your kind that have proven weak enough to be its agents. That is one of the risks.............that you could be tempted by the power of the resonance to think that you are better than everyone else, that you are stronger than everyone else, that you deserve to rule and govern. You have so much potential that you are a prime target of the evil and it is already moving to co-opt you. The signs are subtle for now and you may not even see it, but you are in great danger from your own potential. If you do not learn how to harness this potential, you will certainly fall prey to the evil, but in an mad sort of twist, you also become more vulnerable as you gain knowledge and strength. All of the advantage lies with the evil at this point. It is believed by some that you are one of those that will help us survive what is to come."

He motions to the wall again. "This is your next challenge. I believe that you will fail many times before you figure out the solution but I hope that I am wrong. The risk to you is very personal, as any great risk should be. Every time you fail, you will lose a small bit of yourself, a microscopic bit, but a bit nevertheless. There is a solution that will make it easier. Note that I said easier, not easy. I will not, cannot, tell you more of that solution as it is something you need to come upon. There is no shame in admitting that you are not ready to do this right now if you wish to prepare yourself. Remember, pride can lead you to make mistakes in judgement just as inexperience can. You cannot progress further in your knowledge of the resonance without completing this challenge, but that does not mean that you must do it right now. The Maze will be waiting for you. It has been waiting for you for a very long time."

"Do you understand what I am telling you?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1005

At first Cynthia looked confused by the changes in the Maze. She knew it was supposed to mean something to her, but she was unable to find out what. It quickly became clearer when Gene put his hand on her forehead, as memories came back though "Hum, hi Gene."

For a long time, she didn't answer. A mix of confusion at what she had just been told and from being lost in her memories. Finally, she grumbled "Well... I sure hope I won't forget everything again." lower, she added "I knew I hadn't always had blue eyes..." she paused for a second, then shook her head. She looked at the walls of Resonance for a minute, not trying anything, especially not to touch a Strand. She was just taking things in, getting a feel for the situation.

Not really talking specifically to Gene, she said "So, to sum it up... Doomed if I do, and doomed if I don't. Well... That's nice..." she seemed to be a tad sarcastic at that though. Go figure. "There's a saying that goes along the lines of If you don't enjoy a game, a Maze for example, nothing forces you to play. Mazes can be extremely tough to solve if you're in it. It doesn't even matter if you're trying to find an exit or the center. There is however one way to render them trivial. And that is to see them from above. Even assuming you can't directly go where you want then, you'd at least know exactly how to get there."

She raised her head, trying to look for some ceiling or something "So now, I suppose I 'only' have to look for a way to get a global vision of the thing..."
Mercy

Gene smiles. "You know the rules, Cynthia. I cannot tell you how to solve this puzzle. There will be things you cannot do yet and I may be able to hint at things, but these challenges are for you. You do not need to complete this now, but I needed to introduce you to it."

He pauses for a moment. "Unfortunately, there is no way that you will be allowed to remember any of this yet. At the right moment, you will remember everything, but for now, it is the same as the last time. It is not in my power to alter that and I am sorry. You are mortal and have many more choices than I do and I hope that you will be able to forgive me some day."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1006

To day that Cynthia was unhappy would be quite the understatement "What's the point of telling me anything then? If I don't remember I'm supposed to look for the center of the Maze, how will I? Hell, if I don't know I'm supposed to be really careful when I do, what precautions will I take?" she grunted, shaking her head, and raised a hand to prevent Gene from trying "I know..." the word hung in the air for a second, as she was wondering if it was the right one. Deciding it didn't really matter, she resumed "You're not the one making the rules, but all the same, it feels like you're the one toying with me. And that's something I really don't like. At all." She cocked an eyebrow then, as a thought struck her "Oh and let's not mention the fact that I won't even be able to question the presence of Sophie, Jeanette or Mama Lini, and probably others, in town."

She grunted, really frustrated and turned away, obviously not wanting to look at Gene. Instead, she focused back on the wall, thinking back to what was said. If any of the strands could lead her to where she apparently had to go, then the destination was probably less important than the journey leading to it. Which meant that seeing the Maze in its entirety wouldn't help much. Assuming she could even do that. Of course, she would have to try: at the very least, it wouldn't hurt, and she may still learn something of value. Not touching anything yet, she focused on the walls, trying to identify each individual Strand of Resonance Like she had done at the lake. From the look of things, her perception, her ability to separate one thing from another would be one of the main skills put to the test.
Mercy

Gene shrugs. "I sympathize with your frustration. Believe me, you will remember what you need to and all of your memories will come back to you when it is time. I can accept that you feel I am the one toying with you and that is my lot in this existence. You are not the first traveler to feel this way." He harrumphs when you mention the people in the town. "Everyone there except for Sandy and Claudia are resonance creatures. They have all volunteered, at great risk to themselves, to come here to help you learn to transition to the person you can be. All of them are convinced of your potential, and that of Sandy and Claudia. Each of you three has a role to play, a very important role. That the three of you found each other is nothing short of a miracle, proving Mama Lini correct when she prophesied that the time was close to finding those that can save their place and this one."

He goes silent as you gaze at the walls of resonance. There are countless millions of streams of data flowing in the walls, each overlapping then being concealed by others as if part of some super diabolical weave of rattan on a chair, but far more complex. Finding an individual stream is easy but following it is very hard.
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1007

"Seriously!?" Cynthia turned around, looking at Gene with disbelief clear in her eyes "That's insane!" After a couple of seconds, she frowned "Though it explains a few things..." She shook her head, depressed. There was no use thinking about any of that at this time, since she'd just forget everything soon anyway. Which was something she didn't want to think about either, considering it would really piss her off.

As she looked at the Strands, she frowned "I can see how following one can be difficult. But..." She cocked her head to the side "What if one of those became different than the others? For example, if one of them became... I don't know, purple maybe? It would be pretty easy to follow, I wouldn't even really have to pay attention to it to find it wherever it is."

With her hand, she reached for one of those Strands, trying to get a feel of it. Then, she'd try to alter it in some way to make it unique to her eyes.
Mercy

Your initial attempt to alter one of the resonance strands is less effective than you had hoped for. Selecting one and changing its color to purple does light it up a bit and you can see the new color stretch out before and behind, but the change lasts a mere part of a second. Gene nods and says, "Resonance is data, Cynthia. Changing the stream in any form can change the data in small, subtle ways. The strength of the resonance is that it resists change and you would have to be very determined indeed to craft a change strong enough to last. Imagine what the effect would be if any technomancer could change the resonance pattern. If you can consider the effect and see the great damage that would cause, you can get a glimmer of what the evil can and will do if it is not stopped; they seek to gain the ability to alter the patters to their own desires, changing the flow and meaning of data to what they want it to be. This could cause great chaos and harm. Consider carefully what you wish to do as even small things can have significant and unexpected side effects."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1008

Cynthia seemed affronted by the lack of success of the change. She grumbled when Gene explained some of the underlying problem "Well, ok. I can imagine it could cause some problem." She frowned "But that only applies to existing data. If however I were to add something new, then I'd be the one to decide what it was, and how it presented itself. It would be something new, something that I could decide that it should be purple, or green or whatever, because that's just the way it was supposed to be, and that blue just wouldn't do. At the very least, it'll be mine, so something I'm a lot more familiar with. That alone should make it easier to find. Maybe just that would be enough, so finding and following a strand of Resonance that is mine to begin with would allow me to reach the centre."

She paused for a second, giving a window of opportunity for Gene to say something. If he didn't take it, she would try to add some new data, something without much meaning like the recipe of the dessert she made the evening before. But as she did, she'd set the colour to orange: it was only fitting, since the main ingredient was oranges after all.
Mercy

Gene says nothing as you craft your resonance thread. As you watch the wall, an orange thread appears in it, appearing as part of the complicated weave pattern. Gene nods. "Clever girl."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1009

"So I'm told, from time to time." Despite the words not appearing too enthusiastic, her tone betrayed her satisfaction. She didn't rush things however, and spent a minute studying her new Strand: she didn't expect things to be that... Well, not simple, but straightforward at least. Which meant she still had to be careful, and since a minute wouldn't mean much anyway, it was a time she didn't hesitate taking.

Not only did she try to familiarise herself with it, but also to study how it differed from the other Strands, what made it unique compared to the others. Only then would she feel ready to try.
Mercy

Sometimes it really is a good idea to step back and look at things before rushing in. After a minute, of studying your strand, it begins to twitch a bit then the color shifts on its own to the same blue color as the rest of the strands, becoming one with the wall. Gene softly says, "You have a good idea, Cynthia, but you do not have enough power to overcome the natural bent of the resonance. This color is part and parcel of what the resonance is. Obviously, you can make it another color, but it will only stay that way if you can put enough power into it, power that you do not yet have. Still, your idea is sound and quite inventive. I am proud of your effort."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1010

Cynthia looked disgusted as her Strand took the dame blue colour as every other Strand. Hearing Gene, she snorted "So I don't have the power to do anything yet, but to have that power I must reach the center of the Maze first. That's twisted..." she rubbed her eyes for a second or two, looking tired.

She frowned.then "Has Claudia already gone through all that?"
Mercy

Gene is silent for a few moments. "I can understand the frustration, but, yes, you have it partly right. The truth is that even after you get to the center of the Maze, you will not yet have enough power to maintain such a change form the norm for much longer than your current attempt. That stage is still ahead of you. But it was a clever answer and, in time, would work. And it is not twisted, actually. Resonance, like power, has to obey rules that only those quite strong in their craft can mold to their own desire. Such mages and technomancers are rare indeed. But it is that very rarity that we seek. I believe that you have the gift to be that sort of technomancer. So does Claudia."

He pauses when you ask about Claudia. "No, she has not done this, yet, and she will need to in order to advance. Would you like her to join you?"
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1011

Cynthia grumbled, obviously not liking hearing she wouldn't be able to do much more than she had already done...which would be pretty useless. As far as reaching the centre of.the Maze went any way. Asked about Claudia, she cocked an eyebrow "Well, if one can't do Tim then the obvious answer is to do it with more than one. And since we happen to have someone capable to assist..."

She shrugged. After a moment she added "Though I should let her think about the problem before I explain the solution I came to I suppose... Has she gone to the lake and all that?"
Mercy

Gene nods. "She has, yes, although she does not remember it. Mama Lini had said that there were two of you that together with a third person who is not a technomancer, would maybe have the ability to do what needs to be done. We believe that is the three of you."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1012

"Hum..." Cynthia seemed doubtful. Not that Claudia had gone to the lake, that she could believe, even if Claudia had appeared a bit less skilled than herself. Not, she was more doubtful about any kind of prophecy in general, and vague ones even more so. Especially when she was involved in it, and had no idea what that need to be done stuff even was. Or was exactly anyway.

Thinking about it for too long would be useless though, so she shook her head "Well, I suppose it's not possible to have her come now." She smirked "Would be awkward if she just fell asleep on the table in front of Sandy. So I suppose it'll have to wait for tonight?"

Cynthia grumbled. She knew she wasn't expected to solve this right now, but she still wanted to "I suppose I'll just study all that for a bit more before I leave."
Mercy

Gene nods. "You are a clever girl. I have always thought so. Study what you will."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1013

Cynthia shrugged a bit awkwardly. After a second, she started to study the wall and the Strands. She didn't intend to follow anything for the time being, not until she was as sure as she could be that she would have a real shot at reaching the centre, something she wouldn't be able to do for now. If failing meant losing part of herself, it probably meant losing memories. As inconsequential as some of those were, she had no intention at all to take that risk. Especially for something she didn't know much about.
Mercy

As you study it closely, you can see the flow of data in the resonance and can make out the pattern of that bit of the weave near you. Still, without doing something to alter one of the strands, it would be an arduous task indeed to try to use one to lead you to the center of the Maze.
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1014

Before stopping and waking up, Cynthia tried something else. Gene had told her she had to pick one strand and follow it to the centre. But... What if there was a better way than that? After all, he could have been testing her, or maybe he didn't even know it. Considering that all Strands go to the centre, couldn't she just follow the general flow, created by the accumulation of all the Strands? Like no one would be able to follow one particular water droplet, but everyone would be able to follow a river.

Of course, here there was the difficulty that the strands took different paths to reach the centre, forming something like a swamp or lake, to go back to her previous analogy. But even there, even if it didn't really look like it, there was a flow. So maybe here it would be the same, where she would be able to consider all the Strands near her and not just a single one, and "feel" were the majority of the flow was going.

At the very least, it was something that didn't hurt to test out.
Mercy

And like that, you might be onto something. Concentrating on the flow of the strands lets you get a better feel for the outbound data, but the problem is that you need to follow the flow backwards. Still, the concept is valid, only more difficult. At the entrance of the Maze, where you are currently standing, it is easier to see the data flow, but if you hit any of those "swamp" areas you have posited, it might be harder to monitor where the strands entered it.

As you look more closely at the strands as a group, you can almost feel Gene smile from behind you. "See? I knew that you are a clever girl. The question now is whether or not you still need help tracking the strand groups backwards. Sometimes being clever is knowing when you need help."
Imladir
[Cynthia Somesuch - Somewhere, Sometime, Dreaming] #1015

Cynthia frowned. She really wanted to solve this but... She really didn't want to lose anything. So instead, she shrugged "I'll wait for Claudia, it's not like I have to solve this right now. Tonight will be early enough. And if it's not..." she shrugged "Then it's too late anyway, so..."
Mercy
Friday June 14th, 2075 1430, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle

A slight snort from your left side wakes you. Not exactly a snort, but maybe a very soft snore. As you rouse, you feel some pressure on your right hand and your left shoulder. When you open your eyes to look around, you find Sandy sitting on the ground next to you on your right side, her hand curled up in yours, while Claudia is on your left, her head against your shoulder. Both girls are sound asleep in the afternoon warmth, shaded by the tree at your backs.
Imladir
[Cynthia Rawson - 14:30, Friday June 14th, Serenity, Cajun Town, Seattle] #1016

A bit groggily, Cynthia rubbed her lips. She had that feeling that she had been dreaming, but was already unable to remember what it was. Not that it would be important, but she liked to remember what she had been dreaming about. It felt kinda wasted otherwise, right?

Of course, thinking about dreams was only a way to avoid thinking about her current position. It felt a bit...well...awkward. She moved around a bit, but quickly came to the conclusion that there was no way she'd be able to get out of there without waking at least one, and probably the two of them.

Considering they had a bit of time before they had to get up, she looked at her messages instead. There were a bunch she was waiting for after all.
Mercy
OOC:

LOL Who do you want to hear from first?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012