Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Neuntöter
Second draft 2.1
[ Spoiler ]

this thing is meant as an addendum for the second draft short story introduction of Will. Even though it is a bit short yet, it makes more sense than the very first version, if only because it is more humble.

i also found a picture which is near to what he looks like in my head.

http://stan522.deviantart.com/art/Man-in-suit-16601854

one of things that fascinate me about William is the "anachronism" that he is on the streets.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. You know, I've been thinking of retooling Drip as a hacker/rigger; in fact it would make the whole "talking to vending machines" thing more ironic (and possibly tragic). It might overlap a bit much with Jaid's Mask character though; maybe we can rock-paper-scissors to see which one goes rigger and which decker? smile.gif

That is, if WR isn't still worried that I'm only going to post once every three years... biggrin.gif
Slipshade
One thing to remember. The wireless network in the 'gate is sporadic at best and non-existant at worst. A character bent towards rigging and hacking may get very frustrated when their drones don't work outside of a very small area or they can't access the wireless network for long periods of time.
Eyeless Blond
I'll have to look up signal ranges and availability when I get back to my books, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem. Radios are pretty cheap.
Jaid
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 11 2008, 11:32 AM) *
Hm. You know, I've been thinking of retooling Drip as a hacker/rigger; in fact it would make the whole "talking to vending machines" thing more ironic (and possibly tragic). It might overlap a bit much with Jaid's Mask character though; maybe we can rock-paper-scissors to see which one goes rigger and which decker? smile.gif

That is, if WR isn't still worried that I'm only going to post once every three years... biggrin.gif

easy enough. i count two characters up there that i'm willing to play. and heck, if i wanted, it isn't as if i couldn't update Blade to include some rat farming in his past if the rat farming past really appeals to people (to be honest, i think the rat farmer aspect of the RP was more interesting to me then the hacker/rigger part of Mask anyways, and it's something that could actually be done without a lot of tech too, so it wouldn't be wholly unreasonable for Blade =P )

QUOTE (Slipshade @ Mar 11 2008, 12:18 PM) *
One thing to remember. The wireless network in the 'gate is sporadic at best and non-existant at worst. A character bent towards rigging and hacking may get very frustrated when their drones don't work outside of a very small area or they can't access the wireless network for long periods of time.

Mask at least was more along the lines of a captain's chair kind of drone commander, and would have likely not had much in the way of combat drones. his main contributions initially would have been related to stealing drones (stuff like lawn care drones probably) and either selling them or using them to build up the gang by other means than combat.

essentially, right now (based on legion's thoughts) the gang seems to need an economy more than they need a small army of thugs anyways, which is convenient because rebuilding is probably more along the lines of what mask would do. but like i said, i'm totally fine with turning over the concept to eyeless blond if there is concern about overlap (and to be honest, i myself am slightly more intrigued by Blade anyways).
Eyeless Blond
Well unless we plan on setting up a chopshop (which I'm not ruling out), muscle will likely provide more of a gang economy than boosting cars anyway.
Dantic
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 10 2008, 07:29 PM) *
Umm, belay that, going to use Sutherland from Legion's contacts for him, still if needs some work for fleshing out him, or his pawn shop, let me know.

Bah, getting rid of the contact completely.
Slipshade
To all potential players that have not yet been accepted. Please do me a favor and post a reply with all of the concept information you have thought up so far. Use a spoiler tag if it is really long.

I am not interested in the stats at the moment, just the background stuff. It would be a huge help. That way WinterRat1, Vegas and I don't have to search all over for it and miss something important.

Thanks in advance!

Those of you with wiki pages already can ignore this. smile.gif
Jaid
i suppose so. i personally expect to see blade make more money from making weapons and such, particularly since the gang seems to already have a fair amount of muscle. he'll be able to hold his own in a fight, (and probably kick some butt too, now that i've read the theory behind martial arts in the DitG game, it makes a lot more sense for him to know a fair amount of martial arts-type stuff =P )

also, i'm somewhat undecided on whether or not i'd give him any chemistry skills. if i do, it would probably be fairly limited by the fact he wouldn't be using modern equipment, so probably he would mostly be useful for stuff that just needs to be processed raw materials. (alcohol, of course, would be perfectly suitable for him to make). i've also given some thought to him taking talismongering skills, though i'm not sure if anything could be found in the barrens... the theory being, with his methods of making things (ie not using advanced tech as much as possible) he would be a more popular supplier when it comes to the awakened, especially enchanters wink.gif

on a side note, having now finished reading through the entirety of the OOC thread, is there a reason no one has started a recruiting thread for GMs? i understand winterrat1 is perpetually busy, and the intention was to get at least 1 more... wouldn't it make sense to start recruiting sooner rather than later? (and to get more than the bare minimum, due to the high attrition rate common to forum games)
Slipshade
Jaid - Oh WR1 has a lot of help. I know Vegas does a lot of work and Grendel is a tremendous resource that he can tap. This game is very much player run. The GM only steps in when needed or for a planned event. It is one of the reasons such developed characters is a requirement for this game. If you can't make some of your own fun and story, then you will get bored waiting around for a GM to push your story along, because he won't. For some players this works great and for others it doesn't. I have been in WinterRat's Living in The Shadows game for years now and yes players come and go, but you get a group of diehards that just keep going. I don't see this game dying anytime soon. There may come a time when he decides that he needs enough help to get another GM, but I would guess that when that time comes, he will have a pretty good idea of who he wants to bring on and most likely will not open it up to the general forum for recruitment.

WR1 is especially busy because it is tax season and he is an accountant. Once the season is over he usually has more time.
Neuntöter
revised draft.

William 'Will' Callahan
upstanding defense attorney turned rogue street wiz

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
cREbralFIX
Is there still room for one more?
Slipshade
Always room if you can come up with a good concept! Take a look at the first page of this thread. Vegas has posted a number of links to information about the game and the specific character generation rules for it, as this is a low-powered game. If you're still interested, post up a character concept with as much information as you can about your proposed gang member and we will let you know if it is something that we think is a good fit or needs some work.

Neuntoter - Thanks for posting that!
cREbralFIX
I have several character concepts:

1) Shaman

Not sure if there's room for a shaman.

Harton

Dwarf
Age 40
Buffalo Shaman

Harton is a neighborhood local who knows how to live with the gangs. He generally barters his services for favors or "stuff" (cash always accepted, but infrequently presented). Value is based upon importance to the individual and/or usefulness to Harton at the time. He frequently cures STDs, fixes broken bones, and sells "male enhancement" potions. Though he's not an official gang member, as an ex-<TBD--ganger> he works with <whoever is current leader of the gang> on various projects. The mothers of many of the gangers brought them to see him whenever there the coughing became too much for a little one.

Somehow, he manages to keep a small patch of "grassland" behind his house. Though there's no actual buffalo residing there, he does have some interesting graffiti painted on the fence surrounding the area. He uses this as a "natural" classroom for some of the local children he teaches during the day. He fully believes that education opens many doors, and focuses on the 3 R's. That said, he's not above teaching a bit of high pressure sales techniques, "auto mechanics" or shooting skills.

Once upon a time, Harton was a semi-pro race car driver in the offroad leagues. He had his very own "money pit" in the form of a car and support gear. His magical power provided a good wage from local government, allowing him to pursue his hobby. Unfortunately, he came home one night to find his wife brutally raped and murdered. He was never right after that and was unable to continue either his corporate or racing career.

At some point, the money ran out and he was forced onto the street. Homeless, he learned to live out of a soup kitchen with only the clothes on his back, forgoing all magic use. Even Buffalo seemed to abandon him while he lived in the dirty streets. Over time, Harton's emotions righted themselves and he was able to achieve some stability. Given the misery surrounding him in the gutter, he began to work to relieve it as much as possible. Over time, word got out and people began to come to him for assistance. They'd barter for healing with food, drugs, or hot merchandise. Harton developed a reputation as a helping hand who was willing to look the other way.
cREbralFIX
2) Moe "<street name TBD>"

Ork

Age <Ork military age + 3> (17-19ish)

Moe's father owns a local butcher shop and small store. In front is a small restaurant where locals come to hang out at lunch, dinner, and from 8-10 pm. Moe sometimes works in the store or shop, but generally runs the streets. At the age of Ork majority <TBD...whatever it is>, he joined the military. There, he learned the joys of shooting, fighting, and launching huge shells at enemy fortifications. Unfortunately, he also tended be insubordinate and was mustered out of service after only two years past Boot Camp. It is for this reason he has a SIN, though the dishonorable discharge shows up on his record. Now that he's back in the neighborhood, he's avoiding working in his father's shop. As such, he has yet to go home. He's currently squatting in a chummer's garage, though that welcome is about to run out.

(No magic, no cyber, no weird stuff, not even really a bad attitude.)
Vegas
Dantic

Got most of my 30 questions answered for Twiggs, got to write up my Takes, need help with this question.

20. When and how did your character join the gang?

Do I need to come up with a specific scenario, or just a general idea to be developed in game?

That was more for the people who would be joining the gang at game start. I'd suggest thinking about vague ideas here to be specified (i.e. the "when") in the thread when your character gets introduced and wait to see how it plays out if you're coming in unaffiliated with any of the original Feeder Gangs... it may be a large opportunity to actually RP out the "induction" (if there is to be one) to the Ravens and then that question can be answered later. biggrin.gif Will depend on how WR brings you into the game.

cREbralFIX

Thanks for the first submission, right now we are recruiting for mundane characters with the possibilities of an Adept and a TRADTIONAL Mage if the concepts and backgrounds knock our socks off. You had said you have several character concepts, would you be willing to share more of them with us? Also I'd highly suggest reading this entire thread to get a good feel for what we're looking for and some of our previous concerns/suggestions when developing concepts for gameplay.

Thanks!
-V
cREbralFIX
3) Cyriacus Mykola Grigori

Thief

He's a thief...yup, that's what he does. Cars, clearing out homes, wallets, shoplifting, hijacking trucks, or bumming cigarettes...it's all the same to him. Get the goods, get away, and get paid! He practices with knife and gun every time he gets into a fight...that's a bit cheaper than actually wasting time every week on it. Cyriacus has always been primarily interested in the "hunt" -- staking out a joint, watching for patterns, picking out weak points, going in, getting out--and getting paid! Even if it's just a few nuyen...the fun is in the pursuit and the payoff.

His home has always lived in Redmond and has been running the streets unsupervised for several years. He figures he's getting good at what he does; the Star has yet to clamp cuffs around his wrists.

(no magic, no cyber)

4) Cyriacus as an Adept focused upon thievery

Great Leap
Enhance Perception
Improved Ability (one or more: Stealth, Climbing, Infiltration, Palming, Shadowing)
(possibly) Improved Reflexes
WinterRat1
CFix - Your second concept is interesting. I particularly liked this line:

(No magic, no cyber, no weird stuff, not even really a bad attitude.)

Sometimes people get sucked into a gang just because it's there and they have nowhere else to go/nothing better to do with their lives. Could be an interesting concept if done well.

Neuntoter - I like how you're developing William. I know we're riding you hard because you're going for the magician slot and he's an 'odd' character for this campaign, but don't give up. Given what you've done so far and where you seem to be going, I think William has promise if you're willing to keep refining him.

Just a couple comments after a brief skim through of this thread by the GM.

See, I am paying attention to what's going on here! smile.gif
cREbralFIX
Yeah, I like Moe. He's just a guy who's stuck. Maybe being in a gang will get him unstuck.

Cyr looks fun. He would fit into a gang mentality quite nicely.
Dantic
Ok, got most of Twiggs sorted out, need to do takes for the rival gangs, but could use some input now as to what else is needed.
Twiggs
Vegas
Dantic

Looking good so far, only thing I caught on a quick once over... you bought a low lifestyle for 5 days, at the rate of buying Real Food. If you want to spend the cash that way, totally up to you. Otherwise the Low Lifestyle is 66/day where you'd save 170 nu.

We'll have to go over him in greater detail, I don't know if it'll happen before the weekend (Slip, WR and I all are crunched for time ATM) but unless you want to keep tweaking, or unless we find something glaringly wrong, unallowed or needs clarification.... should have an answer for you or a final approval soon biggrin.gif

Thanks for all the work.
Jaid
so ummm... is there any interest in either of my concepts? should i just go ahead assuming blade is the one to flesh out based on the theory that eyeless blond will probably be submitting a similar character shortly afterwards? just asking because what i have so far has been a very rough outline of the character, and i know you're going to want a lot more than just that to be able to decide if you want to add a character to the campaign.

and just to note, i was mentioning the GM thing because i'd noticed in the OOC thread that the plan was apparently to have 2-4 GMs and 15-20 players, so i was just surprised you weren't looking for more GMs. of course, if there's a lot of people already helping out and being partial GMs, i suppose that works out ok wink.gif
Dantic
Actually, dropping to 66 a day saves me 220 over 5 days, so I dropped the cost, and spent the money on drugs, and had 5 nuyen.gif left for a beer. grinbig.gif
Slipshade
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 11 2008, 09:18 PM) *
Actually, dropping to 66 a day saves me 220 over 5 days, so I dropped the cost, and spent the money on drugs, and had 5 nuyen.gif left for a beer. grinbig.gif

Ok I can't help but like this guy. smile.gif

Jaid - We haven't gotten back to you because WR, Vegas and I haven't had a chance to get online at the same time to talk your character yet. Be patient please and we will do our best to get back to you soon. Think about background for your characters and feel free to post more about them. The more info you give us the better and more informed our decision will be.

Neuntoter - Sorry to be stringing you along. Your concept is good and different. We will get back to you as soon as possible.

Cerebral - I would like to see more about Moe as well. Flesh him out some more.
WinterRat1
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 11 2008, 11:18 PM) *

Absolutely the right attitude for this game!
Bearclaw
Hey guys, got room for one more?
I'm thinking of an ex-con bike mechanic with a drug problem and dreams of Combat Biker stardom.
Vegas
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 11 2008, 11:18 PM) *

Yeah.. another round lost to the plague and NyQuil. Math skillz, I haz them! biggrin.gif

I give up.

Sorry guys, I'll be back in a couple of days (I hope) I honestly can't concentrate enough to put the same time and effort into this right now that we're asking all of you, which isn't fair to you guys. smile.gif

Bearclaw
Go for it! We can always make more room. Give us a bit more in concept and initial background and start thinking about fleshing him out stat-wise and we'd love to see it. In this case as we keep saying, more is better! smile.gif

WR + Slip
Feel free to call me if/when you need anything concerning the recruiting since emails may not get checked in a timely manner. I'll likely be holding down the couch and watching L&O Spinoffs.
lkim
Hey all, it's been a while since my last post. I have changed whole lot of stuff from the previous post that this is like brand new character. Well, it is.

[ Spoiler ]

So basically he's a man traped in women's body. Literally.

I'll put some numbers later. And tell me how this is. Thanks
Bearclaw
OK, here's the basic background for Rico:

[ Spoiler ]

In the role breakdown, we seem to be completely missing an income.
We've got a bunch of people who know whores, and at least one who has access to large amounts of BTL's. If we add in whatever Doc is cooking, we've got plenty of business. We just need to organize.
Fresno Bob
Doc's on extended vacation in the grey bar hotel.
Neuntöter
@WR, Slipshade and Vegas:
don't worry about it, i actually appreciate it. Thanks to that the concept got a lot better.
I am working on a few of the question in the background quiz right now in order to get a better feel for William before working over the background, but i might not be able to post much till after the weekend, since i have to take care of some university stuff.
cREbralFIX
I'll spend some time working on Moe this weekend.
lkim
Ok, here's some numbers to represent Alex, it's way different than before.

[ Spoiler ]

This adds up to be 310 BP. I have not pick on any Qualities or Gears yet, but I have some in mind. I'll be posting in a couple of hours for those.
Slipshade
Bearclaw - Having dealings with the yakuza may be a little much, as would respect from them. I would guess that they don't deal much with third tier gangs. I'll let WR1 be the final arbiter on that. The other thing I noticed was your addition of another gang that was wiped out. Have you looked over the feeder gangs on the wiki? It may be an easier transition to have Rico come from one of those gangs instead of bringing in a new gang that doesn't have an established place in the events of Red October. Just some thoughts. I like the BTL dealer/supplier angle though.

If you haven't looked over the wiki, please do so. There is a ton of background information there.

Ikim - I'm not sure what to say about your concept. Definately unique. LOL!
lkim
Thanks, Slipshade. smile.gif

Any ideas you can give me to tie Alex and the Raven? I was thinking that since he's not him self anymore, he feels vulnerable to the Redmond streets and actually seeking a gang to join.
Bearclaw
If it makes it easier, I can just edit the gang membership to match. I hadn't read the wiki when I made up the background, I just kind of started writing and that's what I came up with.
He's got two supplier contacts, one from the Yaks and one from the Azzies. They're both 1/3, so they'll gladly burn him if it'll make them a better profit than selling to him, but so far, everyone is making money. So he doesn't really deal with THE YAKUZA, he deals with one bottom rung guy. If there's other groups that smuggle and distribute large volumes of BTL's I can change my contacts.
Eyeless Blond
Still working out how to convert Drip to a hacker/rigger-type character. A few questions though:

1) There are no listed Availabilities for "stock" commlinks and OSes. Are they considered freely available, or do we use the Availability for their components?

2) Regarding "used" vehicles, most of the rules for them pretty much amount to "GM discretion". Would, for example, this be okay for a car/drone combo:

Honda Spirit(Subcompact)* +1 10/20 80 1 8 2* 1 - 11,550¥
* Used (-30%: has Gremlins level 1, plus decaying bodywork -4 Armor)
Includes rigger-adaptation (2,500¥), SunCell mod (4,000¥)

GM-Nissan Doberman(Medium)** 0 10/25 75 3 3 6 3 6 4,900¥
**Added: AK-97 (500¥),
-modified with Gas Vent 3 (400¥) and ammo drum (100 bullet capacity, 1,000¥)

Yeah, I know that last one's probably a bit powerful; it'll mostly be a guard-dog setup for whatever doss the gang ends up in.

3) The one Avail-12 item; does this mean one program? or one loaded-out commlink? One drone modification, or one modified drone? Just trying to get a sense of the limits here.
lkim
I think we still use the rating of the commlink and the OS for the gear limitation. So "best" commlink/OS is Transys Avalon + Novatech Navi (Response 4, Signal 4, Firwall 3, System 4)
Jaid
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 13 2008, 02:17 PM) *
3) The one Avail-12 item; does this mean one program? or one loaded-out commlink? One drone modification, or one modified drone? Just trying to get a sense of the limits here.

if it's anything like the 410 crash one way back when, it means only 1 thing, period =S

then again, that was tinkergnome, so who knows wink.gif

i expect i'll have a more in-depth look at blade up later today, btw.... since it looks like eyeless blond is going forward with the hacker/rigger character wink.gif

and i only asked which character you guys would like to see because feedback was given on other characters, so i thought they had been looked over as a group wink.gif
Eyeless Blond
Oh if you want to rig go right ahead; in a cast of over a dozen we can certainly find room for more than one rigger/hacker. smile.gif I just want to play the crazy kid who talks to toasters and hacks vending machines; the rigging part's just so I'm not a complete drag on the group. biggrin.gif
Jaid
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 13 2008, 05:44 PM) *
Oh if you want to rig go right ahead; in a cast of over a dozen we can certainly find room for more than one rigger/hacker. smile.gif I just want to play the crazy kid who talks to toasters and hacks vending machines. biggrin.gif

nah, that's fine... i've had a lot of ideas coming to me for blade, not so much for mask. i therefore assume that at this point, i subconsciously wanted to play blade more than mask (which is odd, because i'm usually all over the drone army thing... but then, maybe it just felt weird to have such high resources in a gang game...)
Slipshade
Jaid - Well since you can only use the modified Resources from the wiki, a lot of resources really isn't much. smile.gif

I have a little bit of a problem with the whole gremlins thing. That could become a real issue with the gang and keep Blade from a lot of things. Maybe you could curtail that a bit and have his personal belief be that lots of moving parts is a bad thing. Maybe give him a Phobia of High Tech? That way it is still good role playing, but not so detrimental to the gang as a whole? What do you think?
Vegas
Ok.. I'm back for the most part at least biggrin.gif

Couple of things off the top: (bear with me, it's long but IMPORTANT)

Eyeless Blond
The particulars of the vehicles would have to be cleared via WR when/if you get wiki-access and start building a sheet. Right now I'd rather learn more about Drip conceptually as you're changing him from a TM concept into a Hacker/Rigger.. how is that going to change what you've given us already?

Also, to clarify the chargen rules it is ONE Availability 12 item period. Not an overall drone/commlink etc. Can't get a couple of Avail. 8 items and cram them into something that only has an avail. 12 wink.gif

Build up a list of GM-specific questions and PM them directly to WR once the concept for Drip (or another character if you choose that route) is approved. I know CS + gear specific questions can get caught up in the concept creation of a character, but until the concept is approved, the CS + gear is rather moot biggrin.gif

Jaid
Blade is a concept we can work with in game and the "low-tech" melee weapon making is an interesting twist, but know that you're not going to be creating uber fancy weapons with out there mods or high tech (obviously). Also keep in mind that making these things is going to take TIME in game. If you're not willing to RP it out or at least spend a lot of time as "Blade's off in the corner playing with his little toys" you're not going to be producing results IC'ly. Also, none of us are keen with the "gremlins" idea to be honest.

Bearclaw
If you're willing to scale back the concept of the character to fit into a third-tier gang (i.e. no Yak/Mafia/Syndicate connections) and change the gang he originally ran with to one of the feeder gangs (as we will NOT be introducing any NEW Kingsgate feeder gangs) we would be willing to extend to you pages on the Wiki to build out your character. You will have to apply for membership to the wiki first, I'll approve you and then I'll build your basic pages that you can edit. If you're not wiki proficient, some of us are happy to help get your character up for approval and stat checking, you'll just have to PM one of us for help.

Neuntoter
Congrats, you've got the Mage position. Same rules apply as for Bearclaw above: You will have to apply for membership to the wiki first, I'll approve you and then I'll build your basic pages that you can edit. If you're not wiki proficient, some of us are happy to help get your character up for approval and stat checking, you'll just have to PM one of us for help.

Ikim
Here's the situation. The concept is just too out there and doesn't make rational sense from an in-game perspective. Why would a Bunraku parlor go through the trouble (and expense!) of turning him into a woman when they could easily snatch up a number of women and get the same results without the hassle? Also, what makes him an asset to the Ravens as he/she is? Really there's not a lot there in the concept that would have the gang want him. They're not going to accept him out of the goodness of their hearts, he's another mouth to feed. I think he has potential if you drop the whole changing him into a chick thing... leave him as a male bunraku puppet if you wish to have that in his history.

CRebralFix
Keep working on Moe, I know you mentioned you'd work more on him this weekend, this is just my encouragement to do so as we want to see more from you about him biggrin.gif

ALL - THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART, DON'T SKIM THIS

Guys, we keep stressing this over and over and over.

CONCEPT FIRST!!!

Jumping ahead and building out the character is cool and all and could eventually save you more time in the end, but if the concept isn't there enough for us, or you give us 1-4 lines to make a decision off of, I can pretty much guarantee you you'll have done the statting for nothing and wasted your time. biggrin.gif

Keep in mind that this recruiting phase is different than the initial game set up (which we all put months of work into). You guys are in effect, competing for a place in this gang. The Ravens have a solid base and are trying to build up their numbers with people in the ranks that can HELP them grow, make money, not get killed, etc. They're not looking for a drain on their limited resources, someone they have to babysit and the like. Bring something to the table that would make the gang WANT your PC to be a part of their organization.

Also remember you guys aren't making shadowrunner characters. You guys are making bottom of the barrel third-tier GANGERS. Do they have potential to become something more, sure. But it's going to take a lot of hard work and effort not to mention just staying alive long enough to get there. Think about what being third-tier gangers really means. We're "Small Potatoes" at best (in terms of gang hierarchy in Runner Havens) and the Ravens are gonna be small even within Kingsgate standards, we're the up-and-comers. This means NO connections to organized crime (no Vory, no Mafia, no Yakuza, no Triads). Can your fence contact have also fenced some gear for a low-level syndicate member at some point in his/her career, perhaps.. but in no way do YOU have access to the syndicate directly.

Also keep in mind that this is a VERY self-driven game. If you're expecting this game to be a runner-type game where you move from job to job or event to event you'll likely be disappointed here. Right now the gangers have a LOT of time on their hands to kill, or do things that they're tasked to do by Legion or hell even show initiative by doing something to benefit the gang on their own (find a source of income, help with building/fortifying the HQ, yadda yadda yadda) while dealing with their own vices and selfish needs and issues. Yes, WR has over-arching plots and will throw events at us from time to time, but he will NOT hand-hold your PC to fill all that down time. The more you post and find the things in game that drive your character (outside of surviving to see the next day) the more "fun" you will likely have with this game. Having this many PC's in the game gives everyone a number of opportunities to create RP opportunities for yourself and each other.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 14 2008, 08:37 AM) *
Bearclaw
If you're willing to scale back the concept of the character to fit into a third-tier gang (i.e. no Yak/Mafia/Syndicate connections) and change the gang he originally ran with to one of the feeder gangs (as we will NOT be introducing any NEW Kingsgate feeder gangs) we would be willing to extend to you pages on the Wiki to build out your character. You will have to apply for membership to the wiki first, I'll approve you and then I'll build your basic pages that you can edit. If you're not wiki proficient, some of us are happy to help get your character up for approval and stat checking, you'll just have to PM one of us for help.

Who should I change his suppliers to? Having a couple of different reasonably stable connections for BTL's is what this guy is bringing to the table. That and the skills to run a retail operation on the street. I figured if his contacts were gang related, they just got blown up, so I went a step higher. I'm happy to change his background around to fit the overall story, if some one can give me a little direction.
Eyeless Blond
Concept for Drip will be (mostly) the same: neglected, spindly, socially-maladjusted kid, inheriting his parents' addiction to BTLs, surviving on the street because he just so happens to be a technological genius. Talks to machines, treats drones like pets, hacks vending machines for food, and is outright distrustful and even afraid of "natural" things; he'd probably be more disgusted at the thought of eating an apple than eating an unidentified soy cube, and would look at a tree the way most people would look at a Borg. Kept around because he still is a genius, and a decent kid besides.

I'm just trying to gauge how much leeway I'll have for drones/vehicles at chargen; a (small) stable of quirky drones will be perfect for a quirky character. biggrin.gif Pilot programs are going to be interesting though; any chance of adding a "Bug-ridden" modifier for decreased Availability? love.gif
Neuntöter
well, this certainly makes coming back from a two hour drive more enjoyable.
i'll have a look later to see if the pages are up and if i can make heads or tails out of them.

in related news, apparently my campus is a dump.
WinterRat1
Who should I change his suppliers to? Having a couple of different reasonably stable connections for BTL's is what this guy is bringing to the table. That and the skills to run a retail operation on the street. I figured if his contacts were gang related, they just got blown up, so I went a step higher. I'm happy to change his background around to fit the overall story, if some one can give me a little direction.

Does it really matter who his suppliers ultimately are? I presume you plan on having a couple contacts that represent your sources for BTLs, correct?

If that’s the case, just leave it at that.

Your PC doesn’t need to know who really is the source behind his contacts, and frankly, both sides are probably happier that way. Maybe it really is the Mafia/Yakuza/Triads/mysterious syndicate X who is the original supplier of BTLs, but by the time your PC gets his hands on them, the chain’s gotten so convoluted it’s impossible to say for sure.

All your PC really needs to know for certain to be a BTL dealer is he knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who knows a guy who…(you get the idea) can reliably provide him with BTLs. Beyond the reasonable certainty of a stable supply, he doesn’t need to know much else about the higher levels of the operation, and for purposes of this game (and probably his continued good health as well), he’s better off not knowing.

Thus, just make your contact as normal (Loyalty/Connection, description of them, etc.), but leave out any concrete description of where they get their stuff from and omit any concrete affiliation with any syndicates. Maybe they’re the tenth guy down the chain, so far down any claims of syndicate ties would be laughed right out of a courtroom. Or maybe he’s the oyabun’s little brother. Doesn’t matter. In this game, you don’t need to know or worry about that, so don’t include it. I’ll decide who they ultimately are, and make their true connections relevant (or not) as is necessary for the game.

For your purposes, you’ll have your reasonably stable connection(s) to obtain BTLs, and in the end, that’s all you really need.

Does that suffice for providing direction?
Bearclaw
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks.
WinterRat1
I'm just trying to gauge how much leeway I'll have for drones/vehicles at chargen; a (small) stable of quirky drones will be perfect for a quirky character. Pilot programs are going to be interesting though; any chance of adding a "Bug-ridden" modifier for decreased Availability?

You have whatever leeway the character creation rules say you have. If it is acceptable under the guidelines then you don’t need to ask, if it doesn’t fall under the guidelines, then there is no leeway, unless it’s an issue of you not understanding/the rules not covering the issue in question.

If you want to improve the pilot ratings beyond what’s allowed by the guidelines, you’ll have to do it in game. On the bright side, it’ll certainly give you something to do with your free time.

This isn’t LITS, where I make various exceptions to allow people to best play their particular concept in question. These are the cold, hard streets of Kingsgate, where the world doesn’t give a damn about what you want. If it did, you probably wouldn’t be scraping for survival down here in the first place. smile.gif
Bearclaw
OK, changed a few things in the background:

[ Spoiler ]

and did a first draft of the character sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012