Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Bearclaw
Hey Vegas, Winter Rat, Slipshade,

Spike has a good history of the Brickhouse boys in the community projects forum. You should look at it and maybe post it on the Wiki.
Thank you for your support.
Havok
Just wondering what's going on with character creation hehe. Not to rush you, of course nyahnyah.gif Take all the time you need.
Vegas
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 16 2008, 10:01 AM) *
Hey Vegas, Winter Rat, Slipshade,

Spike has a good history of the Brickhouse boys in the community projects forum. You should look at it and maybe post it on the Wiki.
Thank you for your support.

If this is something that the remaining and future BHB's want to have as gospel/game cannon, you can go ahead and copy it over from the thread to the wiki yourselves. smile.gif

We all posted things up on the feeder gangs page on the wiki when creating gangs. If you guys are all in agreement on the background and want to run with it, by all means post it up there and add on to what's there already. I haven't honestly read it so I don't know if it conflicts drastically with the original information on the Feeder Gangs page.

biggrin.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (Havok @ Apr 20 2008, 01:36 PM) *
Just wondering what's going on with character creation hehe. Not to rush you, of course nyahnyah.gif Take all the time you need.

I'm gonna go ahead and take a stab at this since I know you guys have been waiting patiently for feedback and or introduction to the game. I apologize for the extended wait, especially since we gave you a deadline. Things popped up in ALL of our lives at the same time and we're all reeling and dealing with them as we go... That being said...

Neuntoter + Bearclaw
You guys are both in the hands of WR1 for either final review or insertion into the game, I honestly don't know exactly where he's at with your final approval because we haven't had a lot of conversation over the past week, but I know he was planning on doing some gaming catch up this weekend/early next week after taking a bit of time to decompress, be with family and get other pressing (and paying) work done smile.gif

Havok
Couple of things that need to be addressed with Sly, and again I apologize for the delay in getting this to you, I was waiting for the guys to weigh in as well so a lot of this is from my POV and Slip said he agreed.

* As a mundane, Sly can not take the Astral Chameleon quality as the book states it's for magically active/adept characters only. Good news as you either have 5 more points to spend, or can take another 5 pt. quality smile.gif

* We know you said that "the story" would continue to be a work in progress as far as his background is concerned, but we'd like to see a number of the questions on the background expanded on. As Slipshade has said before this is your opportunity to bring your character to life and let people get a good feel for him before you jump into posting.

* Also recheck your points totals in the sheet itself. Your points at the bottom of the page in the summary are correct, the ones for each section (i.e. knowledges and skills) are not. Please correct those just so there's no confusion.

Spark

Really the only thing that I have concern over after talking to Slip a little bit is the bike. I just want you (and anyone else who has major gear expenses that isn't necessarily contained in a body) to be very aware of the possibilities of something happening to said gear in game. Abbandon can testify what can happen to ANY PC in this game and the cost can be high if gear is stolen, blown up, or otherwise removed from the PC. That bike as you have it written up is flashy with a capital F and will likely turn heads in ways that might not be all "Yo man, that's a sweet ride." It's not to say that there won't be opportunites to either reclaim gear or find new stuff but it will likely not be easy, or necessarily in the best shape wink.gif

WR1 or Slip can pipe in with anything else as necessary.. but once those few things are acknowledged by Havok + Spark I'd be ready to pass them up to WR1 for final review
Spark
yeah i was thinking that too but was wondering how were supposed to deal with bag space.... ie how much space DOES a hundred some odd doses take? plus i put alot into the bike to avoid cheesing out my weapons or something of that nature. any suggestions would be helpful
Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 21 2008, 01:57 AM) *
yeah i was thinking that too but was wondering how were supposed to deal with bag space.... ie how much space DOES a hundred some odd doses take? plus i put alot into the bike to avoid cheesing out my weapons or something of that nature. any suggestions would be helpful

I'd guess that the drugs don't take up NEARLY the space you're concerned with. I mean honestly, if they're selling "Cheese" these days in small plastic baggies (like a 2" x 2" one) 100+ doses would take up what, maybe a 4" x 5" box? And that's comparing it to today's delivery and drug peddling. Who knows what will be available in 2070. Even with little "popper" type delivery systems for drugs, You'd likely be able to carrying ALL your crap in something akin to a women's purse. Granted this is all IMHO, so take that as you will...

As for the bike part, and spending the cash there as to not spend it "cheesing out weapons" why not take the points you spent on all the cash for the bike and pump them back into your character? It'd give you another skill + spec at 1/3 or 6bp's worth of knowledges or something... if you're married to the bike idea that's totally cool too, just want to make sure you're aware that things COULD happen to it in game that may not be so "fun" is all.
Spark
hmm so i was wondering, how much do you think a good sturdy (but not impressive take me looking type) saddlebags would be for the mirage? i cut out a ton of its cost and upped my girls connection and loyalty but still have about 465 left over to spend on whatever. would 200 be a fair number or something in that range?
Havok
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 20 2008, 02:17 PM) *
Havok
Couple of things that need to be addressed with Sly, and again I apologize for the delay in getting this to you, I was waiting for the guys to weigh in as well so a lot of this is from my POV and Slip said he agreed.

* As a mundane, Sly can not take the Astral Chameleon quality as the book states it's for magically active/adept characters only. Good news as you either have 5 more points to spend, or can take another 5 pt. quality smile.gif

* We know you said that "the story" would continue to be a work in progress as far as his background is concerned, but we'd like to see a number of the questions on the background expanded on. As Slipshade has said before this is your opportunity to bring your character to life and let people get a good feel for him before you jump into posting.

* Also recheck your points totals in the sheet itself. Your points at the bottom of the page in the summary are correct, the ones for each section (i.e. knowledges and skills) are not. Please correct those just so there's no confusion.

Hokay so. I screwed up in counting the points under active skills lol. A SG at 2 costs 20, not 12. Fixed it and replaced Astral Chameleon with Astral Sight (Cause his paranoia of Watcher Spirits has driven him to the edge where he sees... unnatural things) Replaced his illegal addictions with 2 Mild, Uncommon phobias (Being Stared At and Watcher Spirits) {"Stop LOOKING at me!!!!"}. I also switched Palming and Shadowing around, because it made more sense for him to play to his strengths biggrin.gif I took Knowledge: Tobacco Products and replaced it with Knowledge: Safehouses.

Working on fleshing out some of the background questions for you. I really blew through the last few questions, after going back through and reading them over I can definitely see that.
WinterRat1
OK to be brief, I'm working on getting caught back up. I have another deadline this weekend, and after that I'm finally free and clear.

Quick hits:

Neuntoter and Bearclaw - I will review you two as soon as I can. If you want to get in the game faster and help me out, feel free to write an opening post for yourselves and PM it to me for approval. The only two things to keep in mind are:

1. You should start at approximately the same time as everyone else is currently at. I worked to get everyone synced up timewise to bring you all together, so for the moment I don't want to have to either backtrack to bring you up to speed or slow you down so everyone else can catch up.

2. While not required, it is highly recommended that you place yourselves somewhere in the general vicinity of one of the active players. It doesn't have to be the group that's currently heading into the Black Plague turf, it could be anyone. But your goal should be to provide yourselves a reasonably plausible avenue of linking up with the rest of the gang.

If you have any questions or do not want to write your opening post, let me know, but then be advised it's very possible your start will be delayed until next week when I have time to think of something.

If you write an opening post, once I approve you I'll put up the post for you and you'll immediately be cleared to post, which will most likely happen sooner than if I have to write your posts myself. Just an option I'm tossing out to try and get you guys in the game faster because I don't have enough time right now to catch up on everything that needs doing all at once. Thanks for your patience, hope this option is helpful to getting you guys started quicker.

Havok - I'll save Vegas and Slip the time and veto the 'Astral Sight', and Phobia: Watcher Spirits right now. Those both make you too close to being a pseudo-magician, and I'm not sure how they even make sense. Your paranoia of Watcher Spirits grants you Astral Sight? I'm not following how fear grants magical ability, and I don't think there is a case that can reasonably made for that. More to the point, I have strictly limited magical characters and that ability puts you in too much of a gray area regarding magical ability for me to approve it. Watcher Spirits won't show up enough in this game for your PC without Astral Sight to make them a legit phobia, hence I'm nixing both.

Be advised, a Phobia of Being Stared At will happen...pretty much anytime you're in a melee fight, since your opponent is basically going to be staring at you, so that could be a very, very crippling flaw at a very, very bad time. I'm not going to stop you from taking it, because it makes reasonable sense and it actually sucks really bad for you, since any time people will be staring at you is nearly always a bad time for the Phobia to kick in. Consider yourself warned.
Spark
kk vegas took alot of your advice and slashed the bike in half. should be set to go.
Havok
@WinterRat-1: Ok works for me. I'll just knock both of them off then and call it done (-5/+5). And you're probably right about the grey area thing. Astral Sight grants you the ability to bond to weapon foci, and I'm sure that would eventually come up in game play. I was just trying to make is so he wouldn't be totally helpless against magical surveillance, under the idea that at least if he could see it he could avoid it hehe. After all, what's the point of being super-sneaky if you're concentrating so hard on it you glow like a beacon in the astral? I'll think of some other way to come up with it. Hmm... does magic resistance work against assensing as well? (Tries to think of new deviousness)

Oh and as far as people staring at him, I realize that could be extremely crippling. If you think it's going to come up that often I could change that to Common:Mild instead, but I think the definition of a common stimulus is one that is readily present that you can't easily get away from. He could make people stop staring at him just by running away. I figure, if he's in a close-quarters fight its completely natural for him to lose his head and run away freaking out. He likes to hide, and hit people when they can't see him (I know, there goes honor out the window but this IS a gang game) Added to that, its a negative quality that can be bought off as he gets more used to people and starts opening up more, so it won't be with him forever (assuming he survives, of course). In melee combat, he likely wouldn't survive anyways. He only has 1 initiative pass, he doesn't have a very high skill, and he has crappy body and armor. So it's not in my best interest to get jumped biggrin.gif
Vegas
QUOTE (Spark @ Apr 21 2008, 09:18 PM) *
kk vegas took alot of your advice and slashed the bike in half. should be set to go.

I'll try to get a final once-over just to double check the changes you've made and send you up to WR1 if there's nothing else there that needs to be addressed/taken care of smile.gif
Bearclaw
PM'd possible first post to WinterRat
Eyeless Blond
So.

Um.

Did everyone forget I'm still here? I haven't noticed anyone commenting on Drip, and I *think* I did everything needed to get him reviewed, including posting he was ready (twice, IIRC). Am I missing something?
Vegas
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 24 2008, 01:12 PM) *
So.

Um.

Did everyone forget I'm still here? I haven't noticed anyone commenting on Drip, and I *think* I did everything needed to get him reviewed, including posting he was ready (twice, IIRC). Am I missing something?

Sorry Eyeless!!

I see what happened... you posted back on the 13th with a "ready to go" message and then said you were having problems with takes in the same post and asked if it would be ok if you "shortcutted" a bit and all of us said no, you needed to finish them. Instead of posting again that you were ready you edited that original post and it got lost in the shuffle. Because honestly, I DON"T go back to re-read posts unless I KNOW there is something I'm looking for in them. Editing with critical info at a later date is not such a good idea because I honestly rely on my email notifications for a heads up of anything to address in my threads.

I will do my best to get Drip reviewed today/tomorrow as my schedule allows and get him up to WR1 if there are no glaring issues.

Again, sorry for the extended delay and missed info. ALWAYS better, especially in a thread that had been moving like this one, to post a NEW post with a "hey i'm really done now" kinda thing smile.gif
Bearclaw
Excellent. It'd be nice to meet up with another Boy or two before presenting myself to the new boss.
Vegas
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 24 2008, 02:12 PM) *
So.

Um.

Ok...

I did a cursory overview of Drip and here are the things that need to be fixed/completed before we'll do a full on review and shoot you up to WR for final review:

1: Gear - Adding up what you've got for Vehicles and drones I get 26,000 not 22,000 which you have on your sheet. So you're 4k over on gear unless I missed something somewhere. I didn't drag out all the books to verifiy totals because Drip's not done. Which leads me to...

2: All Takes have to be finished before review, this includes the PC's views on the other gangs in Kingsgate. We won't do any further review until they're done.

3: I'd really like to see more in Drip's background questions for #'s 14-18. You refer back to certain answers to answer other questions and while similar in nature, I'd personally like to see more of Drip's personality and concept developed out of the answers. Just like takes, these have to be done too before we'll do any further review.

Other than that He'll be ready for Slip and my "final" review once those items are addressed.
WinterRat1
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 24 2008, 02:41 PM) *
Excellent. It'd be nice to meet up with another Boy or two before presenting myself to the new boss.

So do you want me to try and start you and Drip together?
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Vegas @ Apr 24 2008, 05:48 PM) *
1: Gear - Adding up what you've got for Vehicles and drones I get 26,000 not 22,000 which you have on your sheet. So you're 4k over on gear unless I missed something somewhere. I didn't drag out all the books to verifiy totals because Drip's not done. Which leads me to...
Ah, I see the confusion there. I put in a couple of subtotals in my vehicle lists, to help me keep track of my calculations. That's probably what happened; if you add up every number you see in the table you end up with 26,000, when the actual total is 22,100Y, only 100Y more* than what I have written as the total.

*That said, I did forget to include the price of the Personality software on the Doberman, which does increase its cost by 100Y and puts me 20Y overbudget. I'll have to skim a little off of somewhere else; the prospect of making a Doberman behave like a real dog is just too cool to give up on, even if my idea of giving him a ludicrously overpriced and underpowered "biting attack" as a backup melee option got shot down.

2: All Takes have to be finished before review, this includes the PC's views on the other gangs in Kingsgate. We won't do any further review until they're done.
Oh, for... I thought I had finished those. Bah; okay, I'll get that done, no problem. I think I've got most of them written up on my offline files, and forgot to update the wiki recently. I know for a fact tat I've got a take up for Dozer, 'cause I had to talk it over with Sparky. I'll see when I get back from work.

3: I'd really like to see more in Drip's background questions for #'s 14-18. You refer back to certain answers to answer other questions and while similar in nature, I'd personally like to see more of Drip's personality and concept developed out of the answers. Just like takes, these have to be done too before we'll do any further review.
Yeah, I can see your point there. All right, I'll write up some more there too.

Thanks for looking over Drip for me.

(Edit): It would be ideal if all us yardies could start as a group. I may even have an idea on how to make that happen, though it's very rough.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Apr 25 2008, 09:44 AM) *
So do you want me to try and start you and Drip together?

If he can get his sh!t together soon, yea grinbig.gif
I would like to start some time this decade wobble.gif

I'd love to hear Eyeless Blonds' plan.
Vegas
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 25 2008, 10:50 AM) *
Ah, I see the confusion there. I put in a couple of subtotals in my vehicle lists, to help me keep track of my calculations. That's probably what happened; if you add up every number you see in the table you end up with 26,000, when the actual total is 22,100Y, only 100Y more* than what I have written as the total.

*That said, I did forget to include the price of the Personality software on the Doberman, which does increase its cost by 100Y and puts me 20Y overbudget. I'll have to skim a little off of somewhere else; the prospect of making a Doberman behave like a real dog is just too cool to give up on, even if my idea of giving him a ludicrously overpriced and underpowered "biting attack" as a backup melee option got shot down.

Oh, for... I thought I had finished those. Bah; okay, I'll get that done, no problem. I think I've got most of them written up on my offline files, and forgot to update the wiki recently. I know for a fact tat I've got a take up for Dozer, 'cause I had to talk it over with Sparky. I'll see when I get back from work.

Yeah, I can see your point there. All right, I'll write up some more there too.

Thanks for looking over Drip for me.

(Edit): It would be ideal if all us yardies could start as a group. I may even have an idea on how to make that happen, though it's very rough.

No problem, sorry for the confusion over your gear. You're absolutely right about being only 20 over.

Toss a post up here when he's all done and ready for review and Slip and I will get right on it more intensively smile.gif
WinterRat1
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Apr 25 2008, 11:15 AM) *
If he can get his sh!t together soon, yea grinbig.gif
I would like to start some time this decade wobble.gif

I'd love to hear Eyeless Blonds' plan.

I'll let you make the call then. I was planning on reviewing your PC today and starting you up (your opening post was perfect for what I had in mind, btw) but if you want to wait for Eyeless we can do that too.

Of course, if you get sick of waiting for him to get it together, I can review and start you independently too. Your call.
Neuntöter
well, to be honest i would be perfectly content with waiting for Drip too. I am a bit swamped myself right now, so i probably won't get around to write my own entry post and frankly i am a bit hesitant to do so.
Bearclaw
WinterRat>
If you think my post works, go ahead and give whatever final approval you need and I'll get started. Then the other Brickhouse Boys will have an easy in to the new gang.
Vegas
@ Havok

Hey, just giving you a heads up.. there are still some unfinished background questions for Sly. Obvious are #'s 2, and 3 where things cut off mid sentence or seem like there should be a bit more. Also I know Slip has asked in the past to see some/most of the short one-liners expanded. #2 is gonna have to be finished before WR goes to do his review on you, but I"ve kinda tossed you his way to get the gear and the stats approved (you're basically last in the line of 4 PC's for review, so I'd get those questions answered ASAP biggrin.gif)
WinterRat1
Bearclaw - You are approved and I posted your opening post. I obviously modified the second half of it to integrate the others into your opening and tie things together. You're free to post. Welcome to the game! smile.gif

Spark and Neuntoter - You two are next on my list to review. Thanks again for your patience.
Havok
Sorry guys for the wait. The background questions are a work in progress right now, I know you're trying to get the ball rolling. I just got a new job (yay!) with AT&T so i've been kinda pressed for time. I'm working on finishing them up pretty darn soon.
Vegas
QUOTE (Havok @ Apr 29 2008, 11:04 AM) *
Sorry guys for the wait. The background questions are a work in progress right now, I know you're trying to get the ball rolling. I just got a new job (yay!) with AT&T so i've been kinda pressed for time. I'm working on finishing them up pretty darn soon.

I respect being pressed for time, believe me I do smile.gif I just want to be sure that it's clear Sly will not start in the game till the background questions are finished/fleshed out as we've mentioned/requested.
Eyeless Blond
Okay, gear fixed, background fixed, takes updated. Still have to pound out a few more gang takes, then I'm done.
Vegas
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Apr 30 2008, 01:09 AM) *
Okay, gear fixed, background fixed, takes updated. Still have to pound out a few more gang takes, then I'm done.

Cool cool, I like progress smile.gif Just toss up a note when he's finished completely and we'll go from there smile.gif
WinterRat1
Spark and Neuntoter – My apologies for the delay, I will have your PCs reviewed and an opening post for them up sometime this weekend. Thanks again for your patience. smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Okay, takes done now (finally! It still seems like busywork to me, but it's over now).

As much as I still want to go around tinkering with the character, I'm gonna have to stop sometime, so there: DONE!
WinterRat1
Eyeless Blond, Spark, Neuntoter - Thanks for your patience guys, you are all approved and cleared to begin posting.

Frankly, I'm running out of opening posts that don't sound contrived, so I'm going to let you guys write your opening posts for several reasons:

1. I don't have a good feel for the 'tone' of your characters and would rather you all set the precedent for what they're like by having you all write their first posts.

2. Eyeless and Spark have natural openings into the gang, by calling Rico and Ink, so you can take the path of least resistance (and common sense) by having your characters do what they'd probably do naturally, which is try to regroup with people they know.

3. Neuntoter, I honestly have no idea where Will would be or what he'd be doing, so just write him somewhere in Kingsgate doing something, and we'll let things unfold naturally as we bring you into the gang.

Welcome aboard everyone, if you have any questions feel free to let me know!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012