Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 7 2008, 07:00 PM) *
Eyeless Blond

Resonance would cost as much as Magic but I can tell you there is no room for negotiation on it. We all have been limited in one way or another building our characters and there isn't gonna be "extenuating circumstances" for the building of a TM. It's just not fair to the rest of us.

We're still trying to hammer out accepting a TM as well. It goes against a lot of what we initially talked about accepting. I admit, I still would love to see an IC convo between Drip and a vending machine biggrin.gif

Give us a little more time to come to some conclusions about what we're willing to do an we'll go from there. biggrin.gif Patience my dear grasshopper, patience biggrin.gif
Heh, oh I know. Heck I'll probably build the little guy even if he doesn't get accepted; like I said these number-crunching exercises are half the fun. smile.gif

At this point though I'm just convinced that building a technomancer under normal rules is "limited." biggrin.gif But yeah, I can completely see the reasoning there, and I'm already working on a charsheet with the assumption that Resonance costs 25 BP a pop. The mammothly prohibitive cost of Complex Forms pretty much ensures I won't be able to both hack and use sprites, so I'll just have to work toward the sprite side, well probably.

Other questions I had were these:

Would it be possible to take a technomancer version of Focused Concentration?
Are we free to take the psychological flaws from Augmentation, even though we're not CZs or jarheads?
Can Codeslinger be applied to Compiling/Registering?
Are there any more specific rules than the ones outlined in Arsenal regarding "Used" equipment (if, for example, an old used car "followed him home" one day?)
Are there rules for vehicle upkeep in SR4?
Whipstitch
Quick question on Vicious Blow and its interaction with shock weapons: Are you guys fine with letting a stun baton do 6P(E) -1/2 AP for a damage code when used with Vicious Blow? By the RAW and from what I've heard from the freelancers there doesn't seem to be any reason not to allow it, since it's not actually all that overpowered thanks to the dice -2 pool penalty for the maneuver (a pretty rough penalty when you consider DITG dicepools!) but I figured I'd ask because it's not something that passes the sniff test for a lot of gamers I've talked to, so I figured I'd better ask before committing to the maneuver.
Vegas
Dantic
We'll approve you to post/edit on the wiki when your concept is 100% approved here in this thread, until then please keep updating here. Thanks!

Eyeless Blond
Right now we decided as a group NOT to accept a TM after all. I'm all for it if you want to number crunch for fun, but it won't be accepted as a submission here unfortunately and we probably won't answer questions about further TM creation. (didn't know if you saw or missed the update post for everyone's submissions so far)
WinterRat1
Quick question on Vicious Blow and its interaction with shock weapons: Are you guys fine with letting a stun baton do 6P(E) -1/2 AP for a damage code when used with Vicious Blow? By the RAW and from what I've heard from the freelancers there doesn't seem to be any reason not to allow it, since it's not actually all that overpowered thanks to the dice -2 pool penalty for the maneuver (a pretty rough penalty when you consider DITG dicepools!) but I figured I'd ask because it's not something that passes the sniff test for a lot of gamers I've talked to, so I figured I'd better ask before committing to the maneuver.

No.

The damage code for a Stun Baton is 6S(e), with -half to AP. Its damage has nothing to do with the physical force involved, it is solely due to the electricity the weapon discharges.

Therefore, hitting someone harder with the weapon, a la Vicious Blow, would not reasonably convert that electricity damage from Stun to Physical.

So no, Vicious Blow will not work with a Shock Weapon.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 7 2008, 10:51 PM) *
Eyeless Blond
Right now we decided as a group NOT to accept a TM after all. I'm all for it if you want to number crunch for fun, but it won't be accepted as a submission here unfortunately and we probably won't answer questions about further TM creation. (didn't know if you saw or missed the update post for everyone's submissions so far)

Aw drat. Oh well, thanks for your consideration.
Dantic
Twiggs, take three ...

[ Spoiler ]
Tobias
This is my first crack at character concept/details. Will probably tweak and throw up another later today ((if I have time at work. Its been a bit busy))
[ Spoiler ]

Cthulhudreams
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 8 2008, 12:26 AM) *
Cuthuludreams
There will be no leeway on the 3 Essence cap for characters. We would like to see you flesh out your character idea a bit more so we can evaluate it and make a full decision.

Oh, don't worry about it. I was looking at a guy who was a stitch up of second hand cyberware to reflect his 'streetable' means, possibly emulating a bit of the hatchetman fluff (the beginnings of hatchetman, not the end, though maybe a bit of the end too) with aspirations of greatness, but one piece of second hand cyberware puts me past the 3 essence limit so that concept is a dead horse, and I see no reason to beat it.

Neuntöter
<<Hrm. I realize that it is probably a bad idea to be gunning for the only possible mage slot, when my adept concept got just shot down. But hey, why not go down in a blaze of pathetic glory.>>

William 'Will' Callahan
[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]

this is a very rough draft. I just started writing and some things might not add up perfectly as of yet,especially towards the end, but i hope it is enough to get the basic idea across.
Slipshade
Dantic and Tobias - I think your concepts are coming alone really well. WinterRat, Vegas and I will take another look and hopefully get back to you soon. Keep writing and posting more information though. Flesh it out more. I know it seems odd that we keep asking that, but again the concept is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the amount of writing you will be doing if you get accepted.

Cthuludreams - Yeah sometimes concepts just don't point out very well in this game. Feel free to submit another concept. Just because we can't accept the first one doesn't mean we won't accept the next.

Neuntoter - I think the new concept is pretty cool. I'm not sure you will be able to create that character concept stat wise though and as you can see from the other posts here we don't budge when it comes to the rules. Another concern I have is the "slightly modified" totem. We are not going to accept any modified totems. It gets to darn confusing for the GM to track that kind of stuff. Keep in mind I am not saying no to your character, I just need to talk it over with WinterRat and Vegas.

ALL

OK this is just my personal feeling, but it is going to be extremely hard to get an adept or mage in the game right now. You will have more of a chance finding a cool mundane concept that you can enjoy. If you are going to submit an adept or mage and some of you have, keep in mind two things. One, we will need a lot of background in your concept to really give us an idea of where you are going with the concept. No gimmicks or one trick ponies. We need concepts that make us go "Damn that is sweet. I want to play that!" Two, I would suggest thinking of a backup mundane character that you also find cool and enjoyable to play for the long haul, because that is what you will be in for. smile.gif

I am not speaking for WinterRat or Vegas, but that is what I am looking for.
Neuntöter
yeah, i was wondering about the stats myself, I have not even tried number crunching yet, since i don't want to compromise the mental picture i have so far.

and don't worry about the "modified" mentor spirit. The only modified part would be making the Dark King female and slightly less gothic/emo and instead more benevolent.
Vegas
Tobias and Dantic nice job on fleshing them out... like Slipshade said the more you can give us makes it that much easier to get into this game. biggrin.gif

Neuntoter how old exactly are you picturing your mage? Reading through the background story he comes off as MUCH older/veteran, and I don't honestly see him being a "fit" to the gang on the first once over. I would love to see an non-awakened concept from you and try to get that into the game.

All
Somethings to think about here guys as your doing up characters for this game. The original purpose of this game was not only to see if we could run a gang campaign, but to attempt to make a LONG-LASTING gang campaign, a sort of gang version of Living in the Shadows on here. The original characters poured their hearts and souls and a lot of time into building this version of Kingsgate and all the gangs within. This isn't a game where the GM did all the work and we just slapped characters together to play a one-off night of tabletop. That's why we push so much for quality AND quantity when it comes to characters, concepts and backgrounds.

Keep in mind also that as far as the Ravens are concerned, most of our characters have an average age of 15-17. I'm not pigeon-holing anyone into playing someone within that age range, but those will be your peers in game, and our leader is an 18 year old who has earned his battle scars and right to lead. Just a couple of things to think about. Also it plays into the lower stat level and caps we have in place as well.
Neuntöter
*scratches his head* to be honest, he would probably be in his early mid-twenties by now. If we reckon that he started studying at around 18, give him the benefit to be somewhat clever and that the Awakening occurred in one of his first serious trials, I'd say 24 at the very least.

But since he spent most of that time being pampered by the system, and has a recent past of getting brutally disillusioned by either the gritty fight for survival or getting private lessons from his Mentorspirit, i don't believe there is much chance of him starting to patronize other Ravens. Having to eat dead rats can make one very modest. So, as far as he is probably concerned the other Gangers are actually his seniors.

I don't think his slightly older age necessarily clashes with the lower Powerlevel. Most of his Knowledge skillpoints will go down for various Law-related skills, and his Actionskills will complement that as far as mechanics allow. The problem is, a classic college education is worth jack shit if you are forced to make a living in the streets. It would be pretty cool if our colleges produced people with runner-level experience, but sadly that is not the case.

In all actuality William will probably need the other Gangers in order to survive more than they will need him at the beginning.

also, i am not quite ready to give up on that concept yet, since it really makes me go "damn i want to play that" and there is no chance in hell i am ever going to in any of my normal campaigns.
Dantic
Ok, will post more on Twiggs in the next couple days, got to take care of RL today.
WinterRat1
Everyone – Please note until the word comes down ‘officially’ it’s fine for you to keep cracking away on your concept, even encouraged!

For example, Neuntoter’s magician isn’t rejected at this point; Vegas and Slipshade were simply pointing out some things for his benefit. It might be questions they have, or something they’d like tweaked, or explained in more depth, etc.

A good example was Vegas’s explanation of age/power in the gang and the subsequent response by Neuntoter. Sometimes things aren’t a problem per se, but we need more depth/info before we can approve something. So until you hear from us ‘officially’, no one take it as a ‘no’ just because someone pointed out a possible issue/problem to be resolved with your concept. It’s quite feasible you can resolve the issue and move merrily along with your original idea.

Of course, if we tell you you’ve got a real problem that won’t be compatible (e.g. Cthulhudreams’s request to have an essence below 3, which wouldn’t have worked anyway per his own numbers), then you need to go back to the drawing board. But as Slipshade said, just because your first concept might not fit well doesn’t mean the next won’t, so by all means keep cracking away!
Vegas
Dantic
I'll approve you on the wiki momentarily so you can start statting up Twiggs. I will also build pages for him like I did for Cuervo and link you to them here in the thread. As mentioned before, if you don't have a lot of (or any) wiki experience we're more than happy to help you get stats up on the pages, all you have to do is ask smile.gif

Neuntoter
Why don't you run with your Law-Mage and give us an idea of his stats/magic skills as you see them and we'll keep evaluating from there. The one thing we'd like to see removed from the background however is the ties to the only son of a certain crime syndicate's oyabun. While you're statting him up, keep in mind that we are REALLY in need of a traditional mage character in terms of abilities and powers, not another random concept mage. I personally have a little concern about the atypical character you're building being isolated from the gang as a whole because other than the obvious need for more magical support, I'm trying to justify why we'd bring him into the fold, because like you said yourself, he'll likely need the Ravens more than we'll need him at first. I'll wait to say anything else till I see your stats smile.gif

Tobias
I would definitely like to see the "from the streets" version of Twitch when you have the time... right now there are a LOT of similarities/parallels to Doc (an existing character) down to the pharmacy stuff, which gives me some pause . He's got a lot of potential and could work into the gang well however.
Vegas
Dantic

Here's the link to Twigg's CS on the wiki Twiggs
Neuntöter
yeah, that actually shouldn't be a problem. While i am at that i can also somewhat tone down on the defense prodigy stuff. (Although that might just be how he likes to view himself.)

Well. I did some quick number-crunching, and i am somewhat confident that i could pull him off.

pure numbers
[ Spoiler ]

Now, the problem that i have is that the pure numbers almost make him out to be a one trick pony. While his Magic Rating and confidence in skill seems reasonable, he has a dangerous lack of Action Skills like Dodge or Close Combat. In Addition, most of his Knowledge Skills will be related to his University and Law-school Education.

While that all might make sense with the background, it still does seem like a pretty weak spot.

The question seems to be if the Ravens would be willing to put up with him at all, even given his Magic potential.
Well, maybe they find themselves in need of an attorney. Which i admit is rather unlikely.
Slipshade
Neuntoter - Not being a combat guy is ok. Sure the gang needs people that can throw down, but having magic is still pretty dang good in a fight even if the only combat spell you have is a stun ball. Healing is great. Maybe some mental manipulation spells to fit in with the former Lawyer theme? Just throwing some stuff out. It is a hard concept to fit into the gang as you say. Keep working on it. Having a good reason for the gang to want you is definitely something you will want to nail down. Especially since you'd likely be somewhat of an outsider being older and not "from the streets."

I am interested in what you are going to do with those undecided disadvantages. smile.gif
Neuntöter
with some reluctance i got rid of the golf skill which basically was only there for kicks, and jacked up Conjuring by one rating again. I also submitted a first spell list.
Still experimenting a bit with the disadvantages too see what sounds better together with that concept.

I am more worrying about the stat hurdle for now. That and the "being a sound addition to the gang" part.
WinterRat1
Now might be a good time to point out I have a perpetually open offer of trading bonus BP/karma/free training time for various 'special projects'. So if you REALLY need to squeeze out a few more points somewhere, I'm always hiring...
Slipshade
LOL! Yah, I forgot about that. smile.gif
Whipstitch
Are there any special projects outside of the Wiki/website management type stuff? Because as interesting as that could be, I'm not sure I'm really qualified for helping on that end, although I could look into it. At this point I'm mostly just trying to figure out ways to squeeze a few more points into either Willpower or Edge into Cuervo so I'll have a better shot at getting the 3 hits necessary to stand my ground when in critical situations.

Also, I'm actually really starting to like the Rat mentor theme. I can still RP relating to vermin in general, and honestly, can you think of a better parallel for a street gang than a rat colony? Did a little reading and apparently the li'l buggers are more social than I thought; apparently they like to live together (which I knew) but they also have hierarchies that dictate who gets the dubious honor of fending off intruders and are known to resort to eating their young in lean times. devil.gif

Final question: would sharing food with or eating a rat/crow (they may live in colonies but they're beyond all else survivors) every 24 hours be an acceptable Conditional Geas for you guys? Might be a bit too easily managed, since I plan on taking the sustenance power-- Cuervo could easily survive on lesser rations. On the other hand, it would mean he'd have to do a fair amount of scavenging off in the gutters to maintain his powers even during the rare times he has money.
Neuntöter
aye, those special projects sound interesting. And bonus BP sound especially useful, since i still got my heart on trying to get that Law-Mage to work (background needs some more overhauling too at this point). But even if he blows up in my face and i'll finally throw the towel and abandon my delusions of grandeur. Mundane bloaks can use those too.

i am guessing those projects involve contributing to the Locales part of the Turf section and similar things. That or kinky stuff.
Slipshade
I know WinterRat has given "extras" for Location info, NPC material he can use and first hand accounts of the events of Red October. Look at Shade's Journal on the Wiki. I think a number of those accounts are posted near the end.

Sometimes projects come up later too and you can get bonus "extras" then. Don't expect to get those during your character creation though. A lot of it come after your character is accepted. The GM is a busy guy and is still getting caught up with some of the players as is. So don't factor getting the extra BP's or whatever till later in the game. Just a heads up!
Vegas
QUOTE (WinterRat1 @ Mar 8 2008, 04:54 PM) *
Now might be a good time to point out I have a perpetually open offer of trading bonus BP/karma/free training time for various 'special projects'. So if you REALLY need to squeeze out a few more points somewhere, I'm always hiring...

Hey.... I could use some free training time wink.gif rotfl.gif grinbig.gif
Dantic
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 8 2008, 02:54 PM) *
Dantic
I'll approve you on the wiki momentarily so you can start statting up Twiggs. I will also build pages for him like I did for Cuervo and link you to them here in the thread. As mentioned before, if you don't have a lot of (or any) wiki experience we're more than happy to help you get stats up on the pages, all you have to do is ask smile.gif

Thanks, yes I am a Wiki newbie. embarrassed.gif
Eyeless Blond
Dunno if anyone here still cares, but I did go ahead and finish Drip, and posted him in the SR forum:

http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=20971

I adapted him to a slightly more traditional chargen set (no 25BP cost for Resonance, no double cost for Resources, BP lowered to an even 300), but he could easily be retrofitted to DitG rules. Like I said, I like the little guy enough that I'll build him even though he wasn't accepted. smile.gif
Whipstitch
Hey, Meriss... Just how bad does Ink dislike Azzies and how much of that carried over to the Locos? Because I was thinking of making Cuervo be of mixed Azzie blood rather than Cuban. Could be fun if Ink is mostly just fronting and is simply more full of himself than truly racist (the wiki stuff gives me the feeling that if Ink happened to be born a one legged albino Night One instead of a Cuban he'd still declare himself the best biggrin.gif), but I thought I'd ask due to the restrictions on writing in personal conflict.
Vegas
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 8 2008, 11:06 PM) *
Thanks, yes I am a Wiki newbie. embarrassed.gif

Hey for a "newbie" you're not doing too badly smile.gif Just take some advice from a wiki veteran (I've got my scars and my walls have holes to prove it too biggrin.gif)... Save early and save OFTEN.

Nothing worse than doing a TON of edits and then either wikispaces barfing for an "update" or it just generally being a cock. smile.gif
Whipstitch
Question: Animal handling would fall mostly under Instruction and perhaps a dash of other skills, right? Like if I wanted to try gathering up animals like stray dogs and train them as guard animals that might require Etiquette/Leadership to get them to trust me and Instruction to get them to do what I wanted, right? Just asking because I'm considering taking a level or two of Animal Empathy in my quest for appropriate niche skills for a sneaky-scavenger/fighter-who-doesn't-like-fighting to take. Figure Cuervo better be good for something or else Legion's liable to dream about tearing his arms off Chewbacca style. biggrin.gif

[EDIT] The more I look at it, the more Instruction seems extremely narrowly defined. I'm guessing Leadership would be the better choice after all.
Jaid
heh, i'm getting an urge to design characters i'll probably never get the chance to play =S

interesting to have gotten to see what happened to my old character from way back, thanks for that summary of red october shade smile.gif

if i wasn't so certain i'd somehow manage to become to insanely busy to join in (happens every time i join a PbP game without fail), i'd toss a character concept into the ring =P (mundane even!)
lkim
Hey, sorry I wasn't posting much this weekend. I'm not usually on the net during the weekend, but I did read all the post and I'll finish up the concept and what not by tonight possibly post during tomorrow.
Neuntöter
Second draft.
[ Spoiler ]

i experimented a bit with the background and view of story-telling. I personally like this version better. The principal story is the same, but a lot of details will be changed to not make him look like such a smartass.

Incidentally, do cigarettes come cancer free by 2070? I am toying with the idea of a condition geas requiring him to smoke.
Dantic
QUOTE (Neuntöter @ Mar 9 2008, 06:51 PM) *
Incidentally, do cigarettes come cancer free by 2070? I am toying with the idea of a condition geas requiring him to smoke.

Nah, but lungs are easy enough to replace. devil.gif
Neuntöter
heh, that's perfectly fine with me. I had a pretty sweet scene in my head where Will's Mentor was advising him against smoking. I imagine that that coming from Miss Grim Reaper herself has a certain persuasiveness.
Drogos
Well, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to do this afterall. I was hoping to be able to play at work, but workload just got piled on me and I don't forsee it. I would try to do it at home, but I rarely make time for gaming at home as it is so I'll just step back and take a look from time to time about how it's going. Thanks for the warm welcome and sorry I can't do it right now. I'll keep reading though biggrin.gif
Neuntöter
One thing i did notice was that compared to Felix and Grack, Will has a certain expertise in Ritual Casting. Combining that with a spell like Clairvoyance and a few samples of Material Links of various strategically situated buildings or car wrecks could provide valuable intel. Or material links to members could be used to track gangers that have been MIA.

Ps: Ugh, well... i just read through the Ritual Spellcasting rules again. I somehow had it stuck in my head that the length of the ritual was [force of spell] in hours or something along those lines. Turns out it is [12hours - caster's magic rating]. So much for that theory then.

and i drew up a possible List of his Knowledge and Language Skills.

[ Spoiler ]
Dantic
I need to make a Fence type contact for Twiggs, I was thinking I could flesh him out and make him a pawn broker and put down a pawn shop somewhere on the grid and come up with a description for it too. Working on Twiggs first, but puting it out there as a possible side project.
Dantic
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 10 2008, 06:20 PM) *
I need to make a Fence type contact for Twiggs, I was thinking I could flesh him out and make him a pawn broker and put down a pawn shop somewhere on the grid and come up with a description for it too. Working on Twiggs first, but puting it out there as a possible side project.

Umm, belay that, going to use Sutherland from Legion's contacts for him, still if needs some work for fleshing out him, or his pawn shop, let me know.
Slipshade
Neuntoter - Knowledge skills are capped, just like active skills

Per Wiki:

* PCs may buy only one skill at 4 (and none higher). Skill groups and all other skills are capped at 3.
* Specializations must be limiting in some way (i.e. No generic ‘Martial Arts’ specialization for Unarmed Combat that effectively raises your Unarmed Combat skill to 6)
* Specializations that raise skill dice above 4 (e.g. Blades 3 w/Specialization in Swords would effectively grant 5 skill dice to Sword related rolls) must be specifically explained.

I will disallow any specializations that raise skill dice above 4 unless your rationale really impresses me. If you want to know what really impresses me, take a look at the Living in the Shadows Guidelines thread and you should have an idea of what will impress me. If you need more specific guidance, ask me.

WinterRat of course if the final arbiter of what he will and won't allow.

I made the same mistake with knowledge skills too. smile.gif
Neuntöter
i was kind of suspecting that, but wasn't too sure about it since i saw a few rating 5 and 6 knowledge skills or people with several rating 4 ones among the existing gangers.

thanks for pointing it out, going to amend that now.

incidentally, are Language and Knowledge Skills considered to be separate "groups" in this case? Or does a UCAS Law 4 prohibit me from having Japanese 4?
Slipshade
Neuntoter - Doesn't mean you won't get one. If you feel really strongly about a skill you and WinterRat can talk it over. It's possible that is what the other gangers did or they have already earned and spent karma or bonus BP's they got.
Neuntöter
nah, I'll only really start bugging him about stuff like that if the concept actually gets through.

UCAS Law 6 was kind of a stretch anyway, and the surplus points help diversify a bit.
lkim
Hey, as promised, here's 30 questions for the background stuff.
It's only 1st draft, so there will be changes. May be a lot.

[ Spoiler ]

and this is just numbers

[ Spoiler ]

This is only first draft, so there will be some changes before final.

If there are something to modify, just let me know.
Thanks

PS. I was little hurry so grammar might be bad. I'll fix as I come up with more drafts.
Dantic
Some more on Twiggs

[ Spoiler ]

More Technical Stuff

[ Spoiler ]
Whipstitch
Think I could get away with English 3 w/ the City Speak specialization (reasoning? Uh, he was raised in Seattle by bilingual parents) or should I knock it down to just 3 or 2 plus the specialization? It always kinda bugged me that there's no "polyglot" or "bilingual" Qualities available in SR4 so you could make a character who was effectively fluent in multiple languages, especially when you consider the prevalence of multi-ethnic communities and the fact that even North America balkanized.

Also, is Urban or Kingsgate an acceptable specialization for the Survival skill? It seems like Urban would be kind of a freebie considering the scope of the campaign-- I just put down "Home Turf" instead, to play it safe, but I figured it never hurts to ask.

[EDIT] N/M, I dropped the English down a notch and found something else fun to do with the point.
Jaid
bah, here i go again... i hope this works out better than the last time.

i have a couple of (very) quick character sketches to throw into the ring (so to speak). figure i'll see which one interests you most, and work from there, since both are fairly interesting to me. these are, of course, pretty bare bones outlines of the characters in question.

possibility #1
Blade, Dwarf Male, warrior and weaponsmith. he's good with low-tech weaponry (in both areas), but pretty much stays as far away as possible from anything electronic (gremlins will be a feature of the character for sure). probably he'll be somewhat specialised in crossbows (i promise i won't make a trollbow-esque character nyahnyah.gif ), with some skills in blades and maybe a bit of unarmed and throwing (probably no martial arts skills, but he would certainly be interested in learning). lost pretty much everyone he cared about to ghouls when they went crazy during red october, and would mostly be up for joining the ravens largely because he figures the splintered crash elements within the gang will want to do horrible things to the 162s (and whether they do or not, he figures there'll be war with them sooner or later). would be useful both as a soldier and as a source of income (heck, quality melee weapons gotta be worth more in the barrens, and a projectile weapon which has scavengeable ammo has got to have it's appealing qualities also i figure).

quotes:
"Self-lighting cigarettes?! Keep those things away from me, you wanna get us both killed?!"
"Bloody piece of junk, I'm gonna rip this thing apart and rebuild it properly so the damn thing works! Get me a crowbar!"
"Hmph, the drek they pass off as weapons these days. That thing won't last 3 seconds in a real fight. Here, lemme show you what a real one looks like..."
"Hah, got 'im from 80 meters! We're eating well tonight, boys!"

in the event you want to see more on blade, i'm going to be wanting to know how you feel about a specialisation in inadequate tools in armorer and industrial engineer (if it's ok, and if i could take the skill up to 3 + specialisation since the specialisation will only cancel the inadequate tools modifier) and whether or not i can have something between a tool kit and shop with much more limited applications (for example, something that would be useful to build only blades, or primitive weapons in general, etc, mainly looking for portability. something that could fit in a wheelbarrow or equivalent would be nice smile.gif ) also, it would be handy to know, scavenging for parts to turn into weapons (bolts/arrows, spears, etc): what would be the skill for this? i'm thinking survival fits the bill quite well, but you seem to use perception for searching people so i'm not sure on that one.

possibility #2
Mask, Human Male, decker/rigger. leaning towards a focus on stealing unattended drones. started off in life as a rat farmer (if this clashes with ye olde rat shaman in the group, this could easily change to pigeon farming or something biggrin.gif ) very lazy as far as anything physical, that's what his drones are for. would be handy for rebuilding (for example building housing that the gang can charge for) and fortifying territory, as well as starting up a farm (as long as he doesn't have to go there in person wink.gif ) ran away from home in young teenage years, was turned into a bunraku puppet, was traded around between owners and largely doesn't remember much of the following time until managing to escape at age 15 (6-8 months ago). mostly picked up hacking by trial and error and matrix data havens, he's pretty new at it and nervous about trying his skills on anything with real defenses. tends to wear a mask most of the time

quotes:
"Can't someone else do it?"
"Well, I could make rat stew, rat kabobs, roast rat, boiled rat, fried rat... no wait, scratch that last one, this pan's got a hole in it."
"Yeah, sure it sounds easy to you, you don't have to worry about what IC he might have in his commlink."
(sarcastic)"Oh sure, i'll just hack it slow. What with the real solid connection here I should only eat dumpshock 5 or 6 times before i find anything, great idea."
Meriss
@Whip: Ink has no major problems with you being an Azzie. He just doesn't like being called one. biggrin.gif And yah even if he was a one legged albino Night One, He'd stll think he was the best damn Cuban one legged Night one around. The main thing for me was simply to come up with a alternate ethnicity than everyones Azzie. (no offense, but it just seems like every one in SR makes an Azzie at one time or another)
Whipstitch
Yeah, that makes sense, I just wanted to double check-- I'm half Mexican (don't actually speak Spanish worth a crap though), and I have family from Texas that takes the whole "We're tejano, not Mexican" thing fairly seriously, even though they get along perfectly fine with Mexicans (moral of the story? Texans are weird). As far as the everyone's Azzie thing goes, I don't take offense; despite the fact that there's an entire country filled with Aztlaners on the same continent, I've noticed that in that Azzie PCs still seem to somehow end up outnumbered by vengeful asian female assassins in SR lore (although, Seattle does have a higher Asian population than Hispanic... but still), so I figure I could still do worse on the ol' cookie cutter hierarchy biggrin.gif. Besides, having a theme and perhaps even fitting stereotype is a quick and easy way to give people a mental image of your character, much like you did with Ink.

@Jaid. Yeah, the whole rat farm thing may be a bit of a problem for my Shamanic Way Adept. Not so much that he can't eat rats, per se, or would necessarily mind someone eating one too much, (he's done it himself; infanticide and cannibalism in lean times is business as usual for rat colonies, since survival is everything), but I was planning on splitting meals with rats etc. as being a part of his Ritual Geas, and I'd think having access to an outright rat farm would make things too easy on him even if he could allow one to exist without pissing off his mentor (doubtful). Besides, pigeons lay eggs and aren't as well known for being escape artists, so maybe they're a sign he's moved up in the world (relative term). Having a past in rat farms could still make for high comedy though-- Maybe you could make Cuervo nervous and set off his Combat Sense for some weird reason he can't put his finger on. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012