Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Recruiting: Down in the Gutter - Second Phase
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
HeySparky
Could someone - a GM or authors - take a pass at assigning Contact levels to the various NPCs?

That'd be GREAT.
Slipshade
All

You can pretty much guarantee that any question that starts with:

Can I change...
Can I get more of...
Can I tweek...
Can my character be more special than everyone else... (sorry I just couldn't stop myself biggrin.gif)

or any derivation there of, will be met with a No.
Slipshade
Sparky - Hmm, loyalty will differ, but I think figuring out what resources a contact has would be good. Kind of a baseline for each contact and then add the loyalty factor on top of that. Something to think about.
Neuntöter
aye, already figured that. I was just asking since i know GMs that rule that as 35 net points instead of overall 35 points.

on a similar note, i do not have a copy of Arsenal yet, but since i read the second pdf preview, is DitG using any of the additional armor rules? In particular stuff like degrading armor and such.
Spike
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Mar 21 2008, 12:35 PM) *
Spike - 1st Tier gangs can have contacts with the syndicates, but the gang you would be joining would be 3rd Tier. So the syndicates don't even look at us. Really it helps to think of this game as being the lowest of the low. You wouldn't work for a guy in the vory. You would be working for the friend, of the guy, of the guy, of the guy that thinks he works for the vory. Pretty much any contacts that are directly or even close to directly syndicate connected will be shot down.

Dantic - I looked over your number as well and they look good and jive with what Vegas found. We will past it on up the ladder to WR to look at.

It'd be nice to have an idea what sort of contacts ARE appropriate then. I don't want to make 'yet another' pimp, who's contacts are all hookers.. smile.gif

I'm not sure where the power level of 'tier 1-3' on gangs comes from so I'm thinking its a book I don't have. I was working from the assumption that the higher level street gangs were more like Organized Crime syndicates in powerlevel, not flunkies of the organized crime, but I'll admit to general ignorance of how it's supposed to be here.

From the sounds of things, at best all my contacts would be restricted to bartenders and streetkids, at which point I could just do without nyahnyah.gif Can I just do without? Just a single 1/1 contact?

I'm being silly, of course. Just trying to reconcile my understanding of street gangs and organized crime in low rent communities with the one we'll actually be using. I'll get it right, eventually.
Dantic
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 21 2008, 07:16 PM) *
It'd be nice to have an idea what sort of contacts ARE appropriate then. I don't want to make 'yet another' pimp, who's contacts are all hookers.. smile.gif

I'm not sure where the power level of 'tier 1-3' on gangs comes from so I'm thinking its a book I don't have. I was working from the assumption that the higher level street gangs were more like Organized Crime syndicates in powerlevel, not flunkies of the organized crime, but I'll admit to general ignorance of how it's supposed to be here.

From the sounds of things, at best all my contacts would be restricted to bartenders and streetkids, at which point I could just do without nyahnyah.gif Can I just do without? Just a single 1/1 contact?

I'm being silly, of course. Just trying to reconcile my understanding of street gangs and organized crime in low rent communities with the one we'll actually be using. I'll get it right, eventually.

Just think about modern gangs, We're not "Crips", "Bloods", or "Latin Kings", we are a start up gang, trying to gain control of a few shitty blocks, fighting other gangs trying to control a few shitty blocks. wobble.gif
Whipstitch
Well, you could ask about Sailor Beauchamps from the NPC page on the Gutter wiki. He sounds like a friendly sort (honestly, you could write in your background that you know him because he was the competition and there's a good chance you could still count him as a contact-- he's that kinda guy) and while he sounds kinda honest for having a ganger contact, the fact of the matter is he does auto repair in the Barrens and he had to be getting those parts from somewhere, so he seems like a natural fit, although you'd obviously have to talk to staff about what Connection level he'd be. (I'd guess around 2, but I'm no authority.)
Spike
QUOTE (Dantic @ Mar 21 2008, 03:25 PM) *
Just think about modern gangs, We're not "Crips", "Bloods", or "LA Kings", we are a start up gang, trying to gain control of a few shitty blocks, fighting other gangs trying to control a few shitty blocks. wobble.gif

That's what I'm sayin'. The Crips and Bloods are just as powerful, if not more so that the real world mafia, they are on the same power level. They don't have contacts with those groups, at best the negotiate WITH them as equals.

We're some tiny little start up, our contacts will be either just people we know (low contact levels) or people above us (higher level gangs that look at us as a part of their 'turf') which includes various syndics (high contact level).

Anyway, its unimportant, I'm posting the 'completed' character below and will re-write his background a bit more throughly after final approval.

[ Spoiler ]
HeySparky
QUOTE (Slipshade @ Mar 21 2008, 04:40 PM) *
Sparky - Hmm, loyalty will differ, but I think figuring out what resources a contact has would be good. Kind of a baseline for each contact and then add the loyalty factor on top of that. Something to think about.

Right. Where I said Contact levels, replace Contact with Connection. That's what I meant. You buy and write up your own Loyalty with the NPCs but have no influence over their Connection level.
Eyeless Blond
Aw, so noone wants to look at Drip?

I know he's not completely done yet; there's still the matter of IC quotes, prettying up his gear, and his takes on the other gangers, but if there's anything that needs to be changed I'd like to get that out of the way first, if possible.
Vegas
@Eyeless

I know it's awesome to get feedback all along the way, but honestly Slip, WR and I don't have time to check and re-check and re-check again CS's and gear and and and... I think you get my point. It's fun enough getting a TON of emails everytime you guys update pages on the wiki wink.gif (so no tweaking after going up for review kids, I see the changes nyahnyah.gif)

It's the reason we ask for EVERYTHING to be done (Gear, Stats, Background and Takes) all formatted and everything before "submitting" the PC for review. If you have a particular question about any gear/stat combo or potential background landmine, feel free to ask specific questions and we'll do our best to get them answered in a timely manner. If Slip or I don't answer outright (like for gear legality) it's because we're usually conferencing with WR1 off the boards when we all can manage to eek out a few extra minutes to speak to one another since he has the final say on those issues nyahnyah.gif Life is beyond insane for WR, Slip's getting busier and has family in town right now and speaking for myself I'm working on a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff for the gang (and other DSF games) while trying to manage the recruiting for the last few of you guys not fully approved (or past the first review hurdle) not to mention trying to run a business and have a life (*gasp* I know, what am I thinking, A life?!?!).

Believe me, we're not forgetting about you... we also need a few extra minutes to digest new rules/mods/qualities brought about via Augmentation and Arsenal biggrin.gif A few of which you threw at us in a "curve ball" wink.gif Not foreseeing any problems if the character and gear stick to the rules/chargen guidelines we have established or doesn't break the "rational" litmus test smile.gif The only thing I noticed in specific (I haven't gotten to the drones/vehicle stuff yet in detail, but a quick glance/check at this point) was that you took the Genecrafted Quality at 10 pts when it's a 5 pt quality. Other than that I haven't really had a chance to sit down with books and check everything over. I really won't do that till he's complete as mentioned above.

Hope that helps.
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 21 2008, 06:50 PM) *
Believe me, we're not forgetting about you... we also need a few extra minutes to digest new rules/mods/qualities brought about via Augmentation and Arsenal biggrin.gif A few of which you threw at us in a "curve ball" wink.gif Not foreseeing any problems if the character and gear stick to the rules/chargen guidelines we have established or doesn't break the "rational" litmus test smile.gif The only thing I noticed in specific (I haven't gotten to the drones/vehicle stuff yet in detail, but a quick glance/check at this point) was that you took the Genecrafted Quality at 10 pts when it's a 5 pt quality. Other than that I haven't really had a chance to sit down with books and check everything over. I really won't do that till he's complete as mentioned above.
Er... that's because the one I took was Genetic Heritage, and idiotically switched the names. sleepy.gif wobble.gif And it's precisely the curveballs that I'm asking for commentary on; the gene one kinda cuts to the core of my character, so it definately needs to be resolved before I get too ahead of myself, and the vehicle one could force me to redistribute all my gear if it doesn't pan out. The rest of the character won't be completed until later this weekend, possibly into next week (I am totally with you on the busy life thing, though I'm not running a business or anything crazy like that; I wish you luck with that!)

Hope that helps.
Oh it does, it does. I just get a little worried that everyone's ignoring me sometimes; I know I can be more than a little pestering sometimes. smile.gif
Dantic
QUOTE (Vegas @ Mar 21 2008, 09:50 PM) *
@Eyeless

The only thing I noticed in specific (I haven't gotten to the drones/vehicle stuff yet in detail, but a quick glance/check at this point) was that you took the Genecrafted Quality at 10 pts when it's a 5 pt quality.

Hope that helps.

I think he wants Genetic Heritage which is a 10 point quality and does what he describes. grinbig.gif

<edit> Yeah you caught that already, post jumped me. dead.gif
Eyeless Blond
I do wish I had the cash left over for the Vegsin mod too; it would be a perfect thing for this type of game.

But it's 12k, even with the 20% discount; I'd have to give up either the car, the commlink, or everything else to pay for it. And, yeah, that ain't happening, if I can help it; the commlink is his livelihood, and the car is just too cool to give up. I hope the ruling doesn't come down against me. smile.gif

Oh, quick question: since the Doberman has Walker mode, is there really any reason for the car to have a drone rack? Or can it just jump into the back seat? If it can, I think I'll have it do that; it would even sound cooler, especially since Drip treats the thing like a real dog, and not a machine.
Slipshade
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 21 2008, 07:14 PM) *
I do wish I had the cash left over for the Vegsin mod too; it would be a perfect thing for this type of game.

But it's 12k, even with the 20% discount; I'd have to give up either the car, the commlink, or everything else to pay for it. And, yeah, that ain't happening, if I can help it; the commlink is his livelihood, and the car is just too cool to give up. I hope the ruling doesn't come down against me. smile.gif

Oh, quick question: since the Doberman has Walker mode, is there really any reason for the car to have a drone rack? Or can it just jump into the back seat? If it can, I think I'll have it do that; it would even sound cooler, especially since Drip treats the thing like a real dog, and not a machine.

Eyeless - Sorry, we actually are not ignoring you and if we have come off that way then I apologize. Unfortunately a number of things you have inquired about are things that WR1 is going to have to make the call on. As Vegas said, I will be next to useless for the next few days. Not only are the in-laws in town, my wife just got very ill with a stomach virus, so I have to spend all of my extra time entertaining the grandparents.
Spike
That's okay, Eyeless, I'm not even at all certain I've been okayed to bring Maus to the game (or at all really), though that could just be that I'm having a hard time parsing how badly I flubbed my first couple PM's, and I've done everything ass backwards (start from the wiki, design character, open PM dialog, find thread, post everything out of order with no idea what I'm doing... yeah, I'm a MASTER of this...) twirl.gif
Slipshade
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 21 2008, 04:16 PM) *

We are a third tier gang which means we don't have syndicate contacts....directly.

Let me see....viable contacts. Bar owner...street kid...prostitutes...drug dealer...street doc...mechanic...member of another gang (have to ok that with WR)...Talismonger...Pimp...priest...thief/conman...low level fixer ("Psst...hey buddy. This just fell of the truck. Give it to ya for 10 nuyen.")...smuggler...corrupt street cop. There are a number of people you can go with, just don't give them an affiliation. WR1 may give them one if he wants, but you probably won't know who they work for until he wants you too. smile.gif

I hope that helps.
Slipshade
QUOTE (ES_Sparky @ Mar 21 2008, 05:34 PM) *
Right. Where I said Contact levels, replace Contact with Connection. That's what I meant. You buy and write up your own Loyalty with the NPCs but have no influence over their Connection level.

Sparky - You may very well have the correct term, but I think we are on the same page. I will try to look into it when I get some time.
Eyeless Blond
Oh don't worry about it. Like I said, it's all just my paranoid insecurity acting up again. smile.gif

Anyway, back to getting into character! *pulls out reference material*
Spike
Okay, since I did things all wonky like in my own inimitable fashion it seems I owe a more complete 'character concept' than the really badly chopped up one I PMed (and good thing, because I had to make significant changes...) and the semi-generic one I posted here with the bad 'hide' tags before the edit.

Thus, I give you the complete Maus*:

And apologies for the length and any presumptions that require correction, I've tried to account for all the comments I've read so far. I expanded the original background for him to include more details and to account for things that came out of the creation process (such as contacts).

[ Spoiler ]
Neuntöter
another one of my "May i... , Can i... , Is it possible to..." questions. *coughs*

Is it possible to withheld Bps at the beginning in order to "buy up" a connection later in the game? Or should that be done with Karma?

I decided to use Maximillian Stuckie as a potential later Rp hook. To custom-tailor Will a Actioneer Business Suit "Kingsgate Edition". Or something along those lines.

If he can ever get enough money for that.
Dantic
QUOTE (Neuntöter @ Mar 23 2008, 07:35 AM) *
another one of my "May i... , Can i... , Is it possible to..." questions. *coughs*

Is it possible to withheld Bps at the beginning in order to "buy up" a connection later in the game? Or should that be done with Karma?

I decided to use Maximillian Stuckie as a potential later Rp hook. To custom-tailor Will a Actioneer Business Suit "Kingsgate Edition". Or something along those lines.

If he can ever get enough money for that.

I would say why not just buy it anyway and role-play it in later, if it's going to be a new intro I'd guess you're only making him a loyalty of 1 "just biz", of course if you let him tailor make you a suit he might be a little more loyal following the process, since it's what he realy wants to be doing instead of stitching up gangers and gang colors.
Slipshade
Unless WR1 says differently - No you can't save BP. I would guess that all contacts after character gen will have to be roleplayed out and have Karma spent on them.
Vegas
Actually guys, if you're using existing NPC's (i.e. those on the wiki) as contacts while building characters I'm going to ask you to stop actually.

WR and I had a discussion about it when trying to come up with connection ratings for the various NPC's and the rationale is thus; one, it kinda frustrates us to see you guys "wimp" out so to speak on things like contacts and gimp them from someone else's work and not put the effort other PC's put into their contacts/NPC's and still gain the "benefit" from them. Two and even more importantly, WR's got plans cooking in the wings for some/a lot of those NPC's and it is gonna suck for him to have to scrap them because someone bought "Wally the Beer Guy" up to a Loyalty of 6 or something insane like that. Not saying you can't have RP or interactions with the NPC's, we'd just prefer them NOT to be contacts for PC's in this game.

Basically we'd like to see you guys all come up with your own personal contacts for your PC's. If there's overlap between an existing NPC or PC's contact so be it. There's not just ONE fence in Kingsgate, or a street doc, or whatever. Just as those NPC's are not the ONLY characters in the 'Gate (well duh, right?) biggrin.gif So don't worry about coming up with something similar to someone in play already, just make contacts that are true to your PC's. That's all we're asking for right now smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
Ahhh... okay. The reason I was considering it was that I thought it would make things simpler for you GMs, so that we didn't all have 2-5 completely different NPCs attached to our names. If it's actually harder on you for us to share contacts, then by all means we'll all have separate ones; that's no problem at all.
Eyeless Blond
I've got good Electronics and Cracking. Can I crack the Clearsight autosoft on the Doberman and install it on the Fly-Spy? And the Maneuverability 2 in the Fly-Spy and put it in the car?
Whipstitch
Page 240 from the BBB indicates that Autosofts do correspond to particular skills in the case of Maneuver and Targeting, so I'd think a Fly-Spy's Maneuver would be Maneuver (Aircraft) while a car would need Maneuver (Groundcraft), or maybe even Maneuver (wheeled). It's obviously not my call, but I wouldn't really bet on nicking universal Autosofts off of anything.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. Yeah, the Maneuver one is a stretch, but the Clearsight one? Camera images are all the same. I could really use that on the drone and car; the listed Sensor ratings suck, and individual sensors have availability 8 for God alone knows what reason, so upgrading them is right out.

That's the thing about rigging at low-level like this: most riggers spend more on upgrades than vehicles/drones themselves. The drones are low-availability, but the upgrades are all between 8 and 12. I feel sorry for Sparky, who's trying to build a real rigger; all I'm trying to do is be survivable with a low-Str ganger, and that means a drone bodyguard. nyahnyah.gif
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Eyeless Blond @ Mar 23 2008, 09:59 PM) *
I feel sorry for Sparky, who's trying to build a real rigger.

I don't. A Nissan Doberman comes with decent stock AutoSofts no matter how you slice it, and software costs don't explode 'till beyond rating 3 anyway, so the Rigging rules are set up to scale down in cost to fit the setting rather well, actually, all things considered. He should be fine as long as he limits his Hacking programs to the minimum required to defend his toys (Attack, Armor, Biofeedback Filter). Plus, drones are effectively vehicles, so they have what is for all intents and purposes hardened armor. If he takes a Steel Lynx for his Availability 12 item and armored it (which only takes a shop, not a facility), he would likely have the toughest fighter in the gang by default, since it's not like everyone's packing APDS around these parts. Not that I care, mind you, since he's on our side, but just sayin'. grinbig.gif
WinterRat1
If he takes a Steel Lynx for his Availability 12 item and armored it (which only takes a shop, not a facility), he would likely have the toughest fighter in the gang by default, since it's not like everyone's packing APDS around these parts.

Right up to the point where his wireless connection fails.

I repeat my warning. I'm not going to screw anyone unfairly, but if that Steel Lynx gets taken out, given the resources you have available to you it's darn near irreplaceable; as some people are already finding out, this is a game in which I show no mercy and pull no punches. Your opposition is street smart, savage, and just as desperate as all of you to survive. You aren't heroes; you're just a bunch of street thugs trying to live to see tomorrow.

Your concept seems to be complex and heavily item-dependent, and be warned there's a very, very good chance simple attrition is going to take those things out sooner rather than later. If your character needs those items to be fun for you to play, then you won't have much fun if/when they're all gone. Take that into consideration when designing your character.
Vegas
Eyeless

Dude, can you do us a HUGE favour? I believe we asked before, but since you keep having all these questions that come up that are "essential to your char concept" can you pretty please toss them ALL into a PM for WR? He's pressed for time and honestly you're asking very specific questions that really he has the final or only say on. And we want to be able to give you answers, but some I know are getting buried back into the thread as we go along with other people's questions too.

Also we REALLY need the gear page formatted out for Drip like the templates, to give you answers to some of the questions you have, we really need to easily see availabilities, costs, for everything. None of us have the time to track down everything to give you the answers (and at one of us doesn't have Arsenal/Augmentation yet).

Basically build the character as you want to play him (within the guidelines given) and format the sheets and we'll do a total review at that point.
Whipstitch
[I hope what I was saying wasn't interpreted as a complaint in any way. I totally understand that a Lynx like that is meant to be bad ass if he does in fact get one, and riggers have always been a high risk, high reward archetype. Losing a tuned Eurocar to a crash test hurts, and in this setting losing an availability 12 Lynx is the rough equivalent. If he got one and armored it, I'd be all in favor of spraypainting the thing the gang's colors, nicknaming it, and then locking it away and swearing to secrecy so it can be kept as a secret weapon if at all possible. biggrin.gif
Dantic
I know that I am new to the group, but something had been mentioned earlier about you loosing your Matrix GM, if you'd like someone to help relieve the load some, I've got the Matrix/Rigger/Hacker/TM thing pretty well wired, and I have a lot of gaming experience across multiple systems. I know that WR mentioned, he had certain criteria for GMs, I don't know what those criteria are, but I am willing to volunteer, and I am not involved in any of the other play by post games here, only one chat game, and since moving back closer to home, I am in a bit of a gaming wasteland (odd since it used to be pretty flush with gamers only.... oh, 14 or 15 years ago.) eek.gif So no actual other geeky losers to sit around a table with on Friday nights and play pretend and chuck funny dice (I said multiple systems, a few people know dice come more or less that six sides) ohplease.gif
Spike
Wow... I know I posted a LONG bit... but what's the usual turn around on getting the nod?

Or the pink slip?

Either way'd be good to know
Eyeless Blond
Vegas- Well, I wouldn't say essential to my concept, but these questions are central to my build; I mean, I can't stat all my drones out as having the Clearsight I ripped from one of them if, well, I can't actually do that. smile.gif Or own a used car when used cars are disallowed, etc etc. But yes, future inquiries will go to WinterRat.

And yes, I know I do need to get to properly formatting the gear, as well as getting more IC quotes up for Drip. This weekend hasn't been nearly as free as I had thought it would be, but I will get everything pulled together ASAP.

At the same time, the somewhat ominous note from WR is making me realize that I may need to go back and rethink a few aspects of this character, especially as it relates to gear, and possibly on a more fundamental level:
[ Spoiler ]
Vegas
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 24 2008, 01:29 AM) *
Wow... I know I posted a LONG bit... but what's the usual turn around on getting the nod?

Or the pink slip?

Either way'd be good to know

Sorry Spike, it was a holiday weekend and I know I was tied up with family all day yesterday and was working on the HQ maps for WR the days before that. Plus we're all insanely busy right now outside of just gaming stuff so turnaround is taking a bit longer than usual.

As for the character, Maus is provisionally accepted and you'll need to apply for membership to the wiki and then start filling in your pages that I will be building momentarily. You'll be able to find his pages Here when they're done (probably within the half hour from this posting). If you need help editing the wiki let me know and we'll work with you to get your CS up on the pages. You'll want to fill it out completely (Stats, Gear, Background/20 Questions, Takes) and then when you're done tweaking you'll need to let us know that all of that is done and we'll start the final approval process on Maus.

Thanks for your patience and your willingness to work with us to make Maus fit the game smile.gif
Vegas
Spike

You may have to wait a bit on the pages for Maus. I'm having continual issues with Wikispaces at the moment and have an email into their help guru and will hopefully get a response soon and can build your pages.

Sorry for the continued delay, though this one is out of my hands. I'll let you know as soon as the pages are up.

Thanks!
-V
Spike
No problems... I only started to get worried when I saw the organizers posting after mine and still no word. I'll look into the wiki and see if I can wrap my caveman brain around posting there... I'll get it... I swear I'm not totally stupid... smile.gif

EDIT::: I'm assuming that I should at be at least a little familiar with Trojan and Johnny SoHo, as fellow former Brickhouse Boys? Though they are inactive.... What is the standard regarding fellow gangmates?
Vegas
Spike

All of Maus' pages are built on the wiki at the link in the previous comment. You'll have to go there and choose to join wikispaces + create an account first then choose to "join this space" (this space being DITG's wiki of course). Once you have requested membership (only members can edit pages) I'll be notified and approve you to start playing around. Please only play around in Maus' pages for now until you know your way around the wiki + it's editing tools as it's easier to "fix" generic pages without a lot of work put into them biggrin.gif
Spike
Okay... I've posted a lot to the wiki. Maybe TOO much, after my own fashion. Probably cut the story out, will do something later that fits with whatever is going on.
Eyeless Blond
Gear update. It's (mostly) all prettified now. Still have to get to the worn part.

Oh, and IC stuff! Right! Um... after sleep first. Sleep good.
Spike
I'm going to assume that as long as no one has commented to tell me I've jacked it all up that, as long as I've filled in everything reasonably well on the wiki that all that's left is for me to wait until... friday? That is to say, us new guys are in limbo until WR puts us on the map, so to speak.

I'd really hate to screw up after two weeks of trying to get onboard because I missed something I was supposed to do.

Yeah, I'm the worrier type. How'd ya guess? sleepy.gif
Vegas
Spike

You can relax. you're doing just fine. We're all just insanely busy at the moment and that's why we're rather quiet. on a quick glance over (no stat checking) everything you did looks fine. There are a few minor cosmetic changes (that I'd prefer at least for consistency's sake) to the specializations you took but other than that it looks good. I'd suggest that you start pouring through the other characters pages, and start developing your takes on the characters based off those. They're hardly written in stone and you are encouraged to change them (often!) as your character interacts with the others along the way. Consider your first round of takes their street reps, or whatever if you don't feel comfortable delving too deeply without interaction. It's one of the things that will have to be completed before we fully approve your character.

I'll try to get to checking stats/gear later today.

Dantic

Thanks for the offer for stepping up to the plate to help with Matrix rules and possibly the Matrix GM position. I know WR1 will take it under advisement and consider your offer.
Also, are you done retooling/tweaking Twiggs? If so we'll re-check him and get him in the queue for final approval as well. biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Spike
Yeah, I've been trying to get a handle on 'Takes' on and off around my 'real' job... problem is I've sort of wrote myself into the corner a bit. Once you provide an animalistic perspective its hard to honestly project abstract opinions. The wolf doesn't think farmer brown is good or bad, he just knows that 'over there is food, and a loud dangerous animal that protects it'.

Or from Maus's perspective: Until he's joined the gang, everyone is potentially 'someone to be hurt'... which is counterproductive.

Obviously a partial solution is to lighten up on the extreme end of conceptualization. The other is to put my backup brain (strapped to my waist...) to work.
Vegas
Spike

There's nothing wrong with everyone potentially being someone to hurt before he joins the gang. Hell look at Grack's takes. They fit his character to a "T" and are all about how he would kill each and every gangmate smile.gif Just be creative with them.

First once over here's what I've found:
* You spent 210 (not 200) on Mental/Physical attributes + 20 for edge for a total of 230 (you have that it was 220) Need to drop an attribute by 1.
* Take out the skills you don't have points in, no need to list skills you'll default on.
* Can you (for me, pretty please) fix the specializations in your skills list to be like: Unarmed Combat (Subdual) and for the actual numbers have them be 2(+2) or 2 (4) which ever you prefer?
* Your commlink needs to have an OS to be functional, which will cause you to adjust your limited gear.

There are a couple of other things that WR, Slip and I will have to discuss:
* You've got 2 knowledges @ 4, honestly I don't have a problem with it since one is a language
* Incompetent is a restricted flaw, and while you're taking it for the computer skill it will have to be approved by WR.

Thats what I've caught so far. I'm sure I could have missed something else nyahnyah.gif
lkim
Hey guys, sorry for the long absent. I had RL situation and wasn't able to be online for last week or so.
Well, here's Alex, similar origin, but drastic change in the life after living in the streets of Redmond.
[ Spoiler ]

And, here's his personality.
[ Spoiler ]

I know I've been keep changing the story and what not. I hope this would be the last time.
Well, tell me if these are okay w/ WR or not, and where should it be changed to be in the game.
HeySparky
Bearclaw - would you consider Rico having been a part of the Brickhouse Boys? They were an aspiring chop-gang. Seems fitting. Plus, I was thinking of making my PC (a troll rigger) from the Brickhouse and then we'd have a nice cluster of survivors. I'm not too sure about that peacoat business, though... biggrin.gif
Whipstitch
QUOTE (Spike @ Mar 25 2008, 01:09 PM) *
Yeah, I've been trying to get a handle on 'Takes' on and off around my 'real' job... problem is I've sort of wrote myself into the corner a bit. Once you provide an animalistic perspective its hard to honestly project abstract opinions. The wolf doesn't think farmer brown is good or bad, he just knows that 'over there is food, and a loud dangerous animal that protects it'.

Or from Maus's perspective: Until he's joined the gang, everyone is potentially 'someone to be hurt'... which is counterproductive.

Obviously a partial solution is to lighten up on the extreme end of conceptualization. The other is to put my backup brain (strapped to my waist...) to work.

Yeah, Vegas is spot on with the Grack comparison. Besides, people and even dogs are very social animals. Maus sounds like a guy who would have a rather rigid mindset at times and could be extremely focused on hierarchies when in social situations. Wolves are hardly as smart as people, but even they have clearly established pecking orders, and much like Maus they're primarily concerned with sorting out who is in charge and falling in line. So maybe his takes could largely consist of where he assumes people stand in the gang, perhaps with a strong bias towards assuming the big gus run the show. Besides, aside from the background, your character isn't really what I'd call profoundly mentally handicapped. A 2 logic instead of a 3 means he's not exactly the guy I'd want doing my taxes even if he were more educated, but with average intuition and charisma scores, he's still rather capable of learning and having accurate insights, especially in social situations where observation and posturing matter more than raw intellect. In fact, my character Cuervo has the same Logic score, but with his average intuition and high charisma, he can roll a decent Judge Intentions test and know when to keep his mouth shut even if he never would have made it through medschool and occasionally crashes his commlink's OS trying to perform simple tasks. wink.gif
Spike
Damnit I've gone over those numbers five times!!! I'll go over them again, see what I missed. GRrrr...

There is a reason he doesn't have an OS... check his negative qualities. He's not retarded, no, but he is essentially mimicking the behavior of people around him. People have commlinks, so he has a commlink. It doesn't do much for him, but damnit, he's got it. nyahnyah.gif

I'm not sure why the takes are bugging me so much. I've looked at almost everyone's characters for ideas on what to do, but somehow the takes just slide right on by. I'll make sure to check Grack's closer.

I'll edit the specializations. Gimmee a sec, I'm juggling. I think I only left one default skill in (first aid) because I thought it was likely to come up.

EDIT:::: Got it. I spent the right amount, I just put the wrong number int he bottom row for willpower (wrote 30bp when I spent 20... no idea how that happened. Whew.. thought I'd have to sacrifice something there...)
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Whipstitch @ Mar 25 2008, 12:01 PM) *
Besides, aside from the background, your character isn't really what I'd call profoundly mentally handicapped. A 2 logic instead of a 3 means he's not exactly the guy I'd want doing my taxes even if he were more educated, but with average intuition and charisma scores, he's still rather capable of learning and having accurate insights, especially in social situations where observation and posturing matter more than raw intellect.

It's more than that. Take a look at the average characters in the SR4 contacts/running section. Despite what the book says, in actual practice a 2 is the new 3, and 4 is the new 6; human average stats are between 2 and 2.5, not 3.

That makes Maus above average mentally. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012