Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War, HUH! It's out on pdf
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
Adam
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 16 2010, 01:39 PM) *
Which is why the official forum was created in the first place, while the FAQ happily answers "Why are there no Catalyst-sponsored Shadowrun forums?" with "Because the fine folks running Dumpshock have been maintaining those forums for many years, and we see no need to duplicate their efforts." wobble.gif

Shadowrun FAQ out of date ... news at 11. wink.gif
sabs
Forgetting about whether there was a Dome of Magic over Auschwitz, etc, etc.. none of which I remember.

Why is it even in a book called War!

Do we have information on standard grunts and how many of the Military's are equiped and organized?
Did we get insights on how the mostly Magical Amazonian troops fight?
What about the Aztech/Aztlan troops, did we get some samples of how they operate, are equiped. Etc.

What about Lagos. Did we get more information on the Mercenary activities going on in that part of the World?
hermit
Do we have information on standard grunts and how many of the Military's are equiped and organized?

Yes on first part, no on second (I sorely miss example units with organisation details and the likes).

Tehy rely on magic and are badly equipped but have critters. Also, they don't seem to be doing very well. Other than that, no.

What about the Aztech/Aztlan troops, did we get some samples of how they operate, are equiped. Etc.

Only in terms of generic soldier layouts, nothing on vehicles, the makeup of a mechanised unit, ect. We don't know much more about the Aztlaner armed forces than we previously did. No info on C&C from any of the parties involved, actually.

What about Lagos. Did we get more information on the Mercenary activities going on in that part of the World?

Not a word, but Somalia is not going to change a bit in 63 years, if you ask War.
sabs
Why does Somalia even still exist?

Vitas I killed anywhere between 75% to 90% of the African Continental Population.
There shouldn't be enough people left in Somalia to fight /anything/

Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 16 2010, 03:30 PM) *
Unlike you, I don't claim to work in the publishing business, nor do I demand money for my crap.

See, there you go again, making shit up. I've never claimed to work in the publishing business. I do some writing in my free time, no publishing.

If that's common practice, fine, it seems this was mentioned by others too. And I didn't make this up, mind you. I wasn't informed about American publishing practices, oh my!

What, you can't be bothered to read the damned thread?

However, I can formulate sensible sentences in English. How's your German again (with War, this is a relevant question)?

Mein Deutsch? Nicht sehr gut aber nicht schrecklich für alles Ich habe gearbeitet. Bayer Rechnungsprüfer sprechen gut Englisch. Mon français est beaucoup mieux.

You see, you're looking for reasons not to take criticism seriously (pretty lame reasons too, considering you're doing your best to be insulting yourself). Admittedly, nobody here is sugar coating anything, but you don't have any right to expect this. Not as long as CGL churns out deeply flawed and unsatisfactory product like the Almanach and War.
I'm not expecting anything, just letting you know why I don't bother to pay any serious attention to anything you bring up other than what you are completely wrong about.
Method
hermit and Kid Chameleon: Please take it elsewhere.
Stahlseele
Mein Deutsch? Nicht sehr gut aber nicht schrecklich für alles Ich habe gearbeitet. Bayer Rechnungsprüfer sprechen gut Englisch

My german? Not very good, but not terrible for everything i have worked. Bayer beancounters speak well english.
Close enough, i could actually understand it.
hermit
Mein Deutsch? Nicht sehr gut aber nicht schrecklich für alles Ich habe gearbeitet. Bayer Rechnungsprüfer sprechen gut Englisch. Mon français est beaucoup mieux.

Damit ist dein Deutsch besser als das der Autoren von War.

Alors, donc votre francais est aussi mauvais que le mien.

Why does Somalia even still exist?

How would I know. Ask the authors. It was called Ethnomalian territories in the Almanac. Probably because they could not be bothered with research?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (sabs @ Dec 16 2010, 06:32 PM) *

Not that I could find. And this is disappointing. Ok, the setting is about Bogota and AA War, but half of the book is talking entirely about the city without talking much about the armies, how they are deployed, other points of battlefield, timelog of movements, main battles, etc.
For me, the most useful chapter is Game Information, with new rules and gears.

We know that Amazonians "troops" are usually squad-level and most use guerrilla tactics. They have trained critters and paracritters on their side the info about magic support is a single paragraph that doesn't say much than "their magic is terrible and cruel". I agree there should be more.

Aztlan units are somewhat detailed (number of grunts, snipers, experts, etc). The Magicians are given lot of reagents to work with, etc.

Again, this could have been given more detail all the stuff detailing both Aztlan and Amazonian troops fill two and a half pages. It could be a whole chapter.

We have one and a half page talking about Somalia.

On the whole, I'm giving a 5 out of 10 for this book.
I expected more about how armies deploy their forces on the Sixth World.
For instance, how much aerial drones are used? They are kept controled close to each other with a rigger inside one of the vehicles preventing jamming and hacking from other riggers and hackers?
What countries still keep professional armies?
What special training is given for Awakened and Emerged soldiers?

I just hope Attitude won't be as much disappointing as this book was (and I'm saying this because I really had high expectations for this book and I still have a lot for Attitude).
sabs
Tous le monde parles Francais maintenant?
Shrike30
It's sounding like the book had some focus problems... I'd expect a book like War! to be more about, well... war.
hermit
Tous le monde parles Francais maintenant?

C'est la langue des rois! Aussi, c'est très practique si on veut traduire une partie de Shadowrun France.

It's sounding like the book had some focus problems... I'd expect a book like War! to be more about, well... war.

Admittredly, they did a general section on life in crisis zones and some merc companies that have been covered elsewhere already. But it's really more a Bogota sourcebook with some stuff about wars and things and some stuff on randomly selected other war zones (a couple of which haven't even got a war going).

Nothing on the war it's actually supposed to be about though.
sabs
What about TACNets, Hacker Oversight. What does the Hackersphere look like during a battle?

What does having matrix/communications supremacy in an area look like.
What about Drones, how are those used. What's the ratio of Drones to metahuman soldiers in various armies.

When I think about all the things that could be in the book.. I'm dissapointed that there's stuff about zombie smashing in Auschwitz. Seems completely unnecessary.
hermit
What about TACNets, Hacker Oversight. What does the Hackersphere look like during a battle?

High-powered. They have POWERprograms, POWERcomlinks and a couple new utilities. Other than that, it'S pretty standard, unless someone starts lobbing EMP grenades.

What does having matrix/communications supremacy in an area look like.

Nothing on that, neither on matrix tactics, sadly.

What about Drones, how are those used. What's the ratio of Drones to metahuman soldiers in various armies.

The future is like today with more colorful holographic displays.

When I think about all the things that could be in the book.. I'm dissapointed that there's stuff about zombie smashing in Auschwitz. Seems completely unnecessary.

When I read this book, I thought of the Firestorm campaign for CP2020 ... and it made me very sad indeed. That's what a war ought to be covered like.
Aaron
QUOTE (Laughing One @ Dec 16 2010, 12:58 PM) *
The most major broken thing I noticed so far is the new grenade rules.

If several grenades explode at the same area, you get to add half DV from each grenade after the first to the total DV of the first grenade.

Meaning, a full burst of 10 mini frag grenade from any automatic grenade launcher will give you 66(f) DV +5AP, plus hits (you can add them in now).

This seemed over the top, but then after watching this video I no longer have any objection.
Yerameyahu
Seriously: grenades should be ungodly. If anything, it should be 'every grenade is a separate explosion', but they apparently backed off that for balance?
Aaron
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 16 2010, 03:00 PM) *
is there a "calling something a fallacy" fallacy?

Probably the argument by personal incredulity fallacy. It's kinda popular around these parts.
Stahlseele
Wait . . Monofilament Grenades?
hermit
QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 17 2010, 12:26 AM) *
This seemed over the top, but then after watching this video I no longer have any objection.

Please keep in mind that the damage values you get are in cruise missile territorry.

But yes, grenades ARE sure capable of incredible damage.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 16 2010, 05:36 PM) *
Wait . . Monofilament Grenades?

Apparently. I haven't see the write up, but I imagine it's ridiculous.

It's one of those ideas that sounds really good until you stop to think about it.

Stahlseele
And here i thought Monofilament BOLOS were silly . .
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Dec 16 2010, 11:43 PM) *
Apparently. I haven't see the write up, but I imagine it's ridiculous.

Indeed. 150¥ and containing "hundereds of meters" of monofilament wire.

Read: Instant money.
hermit
Good thing Dikote has been cut, I guess.
Stahlseele
Nah, Dikote can't be cut.
It only has been made standard.
hermit
An SR4 steak knife would cut my finger clean off in SR3 but thanks to wireless technology the 6th world's denizens' skin has hardened (all that electro smog) so that it evens out?
Cochise
QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 16 2010, 11:26 PM) *

Objections towards the destructiveness of grenades isn't the problem here ... The problem lies with the absurdity of the values in relation to the other game mechanics and the inconsistancy with the general rules for automatic fire.

Oh and try to find a video of a cal 0.50 machine gun being fired against civilian vehicles at similar range ... maybe not that many small explosions, but the overall wrecking isn't significantly lower than in your Mk 19 video.
Stahlseele
No, thanks to the wireless world, your finger can still tell you stuff via vireless, so it does not matter as much anymore ^^
hermit
Progress.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 16 2010, 07:02 AM) *
Check out SoftWeave armour for something quite unbalancing.

Not unbalancing at all in my opinion... it is not for the crazy troll builds that already are ludicrous in nature...it is for the average Joe so that he can wear an Armored Jacket without hampering himself... wobble.gif

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 16 2010, 10:13 AM) *
Mobility Upgrade is obsolete.

Not like technology has not become obsolete before... Big Deal...
kzt
QUOTE (sabs @ Dec 16 2010, 01:57 PM) *
How do you free Auschwitz from its Rating 6 Background and Blood Spirits?

To make up a quote from the writer "What's this 'background count' that you keep taking about"?
Method
Haven't read the pdf release (not sure if I want to pay for a version riddled with errors when I could wait for the corrected version) but...

During the play test phase my group recommended a rule whereby you compared an individual grenade's base damage to the target armor for determining whether a combined grenade blast could damage it (similar to the rules for FA fire vs. vehicles). So if you fire 5 HE grenades (10P + [4(10 x 0.5)] = 30P) at a MBT (Armor ~25) you get a lot of fire and smoke and dead personnel around a perfectly good, totally unscathed tank.

Any chance that little rule made it into the final version?
Kid Chameleon
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 16 2010, 03:57 PM) *
My german? Not very good, but not terrible for everything i have worked. Bayer beancounters speak well english.
Close enough, i could actually understand it.

Meh, would have been better if that stupid on-line dictionary hadn't given me "schrecklich" for "applicable".
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 16 2010, 03:02 PM) *
Admittredly, they did a general section on life in crisis zones and some merc companies that have been covered elsewhere already. But it's really more a Bogota sourcebook with some stuff about wars and things and some stuff on randomly selected other war zones (a couple of which haven't even got a war going).

Nothing on the war it's actually supposed to be about though.

You know, you appear to have many of the same problems with your writing that you are complaining about... this is the 3rd or 4th post where I have found spelling errors in your work. Hello Pot... Just saying... He who is without sin, and all that...

Excessive Complaints never helped anyone... I understand your points, but do not agree with them. I actually like the book... yes, it could have had better editing, to be sure, but it works...

Have a great weekend... wobble.gif
Yerameyahu
In fairness, Tymeaus, your use of ellipses is an ongoing crime against humanity. biggrin.gif
lehesu
I've always wondered why people feel the need to add "and they're Battletech writers!" to the end of their sentences. Does that somehow lend credence to the notion that the writing is bad?
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ Dec 16 2010, 09:04 PM) *
By popping undead schmucks and stealing their necromantic treasures!

Hm, I didn't even think about that one until now. But since the writer of that section totally ignored the "spirits are what you believe them to be" rule and obviously considers ghosts to be actual..well, ghosts, that's what it amounts to: Killing Auschwitz victims who just won't stay dead for a second time. To steal the necromatic treasures from the tomb of ancient evil...
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 17 2010, 01:40 AM) *
Hm, I didn't even think about that one until now. But since the writer of that section totally ignored the "spirits are what you believe them to be" rule and obviously considers ghosts to be actual..well, ghosts, that's what it amounts to: Killing Auschwitz victims who just won't stay dead for a second time. To steal the necromatic treasures from the tomb of ancient evil...

I'll have to roll a character named BJ Blazkowicz.
Aaron
QUOTE (Cochise @ Dec 16 2010, 05:52 PM) *
Objections towards the destructiveness of grenades isn't the problem here ... The problem lies with the absurdity of the values in relation to the other game mechanics and the inconsistancy with the general rules for automatic fire.

Oh and try to find a video of a cal 0.50 machine gun being fired against civilian vehicles at similar range ... maybe not that many small explosions, but the overall wrecking isn't significantly lower than in your Mk 19 video.

Does that mean it's the grenades or the machine guns that need to be re-worked?
hobgoblin
QUOTE (lehesu @ Dec 17 2010, 02:27 AM) *
I've always wondered why people feel the need to add "and they're Battletech writers!" to the end of their sentences. Does that somehow lend credence to the notion that the writing is bad?

could be a jab at their possible unfamiliarity with the existing material. Or it could be aimed at how the BT board handled the whole CGL economic mess.
CanRay
QUOTE (Cochise @ Dec 16 2010, 06:52 PM) *

The right tool for the right job.

The Ma-Duce (And it's foreign counterparts) was designed as an "Anti-Tank Rifle" (That just happens to come in Machine Gun form.). Admittedly, these were World War I tanks they were designed to take out, but they do a good job against... Um... Well... World War II light tanks on down.

The Mk 19 is designed for Human Wave attacks. Like, oh, I don't know... 10,000 screaming Communists/Terrorists/Idiots about to find out the virgins are gone.

Those are, of course, standard loads. (Ball Rounds for the .50, Frag for the Mk 19). You get specialty rounds going... OK, the Mk 19 wins on that one, the sheer number of 40mm Grenade options out there... Even if the Mk 19 can't use them all...
hobgoblin
never underestimate the flexibility of a smooth bore wink.gif
Megu
I think the last time I asked I got drowned out. Is Southeast Asia covered at all as a hotspot? That's likely what I'd be buying the book for, mostly.
CanRay
How about the Middle East? I mean, has there ever been peace there?

Other than rebuilding armies, that is? Israel is probably overdue for a war in Shadowrun...
JongWK
QUOTE (Megu @ Dec 17 2010, 02:15 AM) *
I think the last time I asked I got drowned out. Is Southeast Asia covered at all as a hotspot? That's likely what I'd be buying the book for, mostly.

Marienbad, Poland, Somalia, Nepal, and Albuquerque.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 16 2010, 06:11 PM) *
In fairness, Tymeaus, your use of ellipses is an ongoing crime against humanity. biggrin.gif

Perhaps, but I do not claim that I am flawless either... smokin.gif
CanRay
POLAND?

Jeeze, can those folks never catch a break? You'd think they were Irish or something!
Megu
I am so mad right now. At least, thanks for letting me know, guys.
Grinder
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 17 2010, 02:02 AM) *
You know, you appear to have many of the same problems with your writing that you are complaining about... this is the 3rd or 4th post where I have found spelling errors in your work. Hello Pot... Just saying... He who is without sin, and all that...

First of all, he's a non-native english speaker. And you know what editing is for? Treat hermit's post as the raw draft submitted to the editing staff whose job it should be to fix all the errors, mistakes and oversights.
CanRay
You could also get into the argument of whose English you're using as well... Windows XP offers 13 different options of English...

Personally, I remember the hell of US-Printed Spelling Books and Canadian-Printed Spelling Tests back in Grade School. Stupid Welfare School... They were the cheapest books they could get, and they still didn't have enough for the class...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012