Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War, HUH! It's out on pdf
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
imperialus
One other thing that I might point out is that War's power creep is largely focused on the mundane... It gives the non awakened PC's a chance to catch up to the spell slingers once they start skimming the upper edge of the power curve. Having played a few high karma games I think this fills an extremely important niche.
Inncubi
Hmmm interesting to see they finally started taking alook at Bogotá. I'm form here, and during the early 2000 late 90's some friends of mine published in the internet an unofficial reference guide to Colombia's shadows. Seeing the resurgence now its interestng. I'd like to see how they portray the city in the book.

As a little background intel, what used to be the world's most dangerous neighborhood was only two... yes /two/ blocks away form the presidential home (think the White House: el Palacio de Nariño). It was called "El Cartucho". They were the Barrens on steriods as not even the military forces were willing to go in there.

Also in Soacha, one of the most dangerous places nowadays, they managed to have a higher violent death rate than Sarajevo when it was a full battle zone.

That is prime material for Shadowrun. That, and the guerrilas, paramilitaries and drug cartels vying for political power and the drug trade money.

Throw in Amazonia's and Aztlan's mojo, Jaguar guards and awakened dragons and you have one hell of a place.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (imperialus @ Dec 14 2010, 06:27 PM) *
One other thing that I might point out is that War's power creep is largely focused on the mundane... It gives the non awakened PC's a chance to catch up to the spell slingers once they start skimming the upper edge of the power curve. Having played a few high karma games I think this fills an extremely important niche.

Yeah, rrright – read the Mind over Matter adept power.

And why having an item made from specifically more processed components to increase it's OR needs capacity is beyond me.
hobgoblin
Makes one wonder why not remove the "caps" and just let the money talk on the mundane gear. Sure, once it passes some marker or other the price would square or cube for each point increase. But the theoretical possibility to keep up would be there.

The other option is sota style rules, having the rating drop unless maintained.
imperialus
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 14 2010, 10:41 AM) *
Yeah, rrright – read the Mind over Matter adept power.

Oh crap! Right you are... Umm... wow. That'll be entering the dustbin of "crap not allowed in Imp's game". I might allow it as a metamagic power... Maybe.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (imperialus @ Dec 14 2010, 06:47 PM) *
I might allow it as a metamagic power...

That would be worse, actually.

Did anyone notice that the SoftWeave upgrade for 10% of the armor cost completely obsoletes the Mobility Upgrade from Arsenal? Yeah, right, you get some dice for Running… great. As for "High Power Ammo"… No, just No. This is a really sad day, with the inside joke about munchkins and gun nuts becoming RAW.
Stormdrake
Got it this morning and went over it. For the most part I am pretty happy but do have a question on this:

Redundant Process Manufacturing: uses the same manufacturing or refurbishing technique as the vehicle upgrade of the same name, in which the armor is subject to more processing than necessary. As a result, the armor’s Object Threshold is increased by the rating of the modification.

I may have missed something in the other books but what good does this do? If a mage is using a inderect combat spell (say Flame strike) does the mage need to overcome the OT of the targets armor to affect him?
Rotbart van Dainig
No, this is for Direct Combat Spells and the like.
Dahrken
It won't help against indirect spells, as those don't target the armor but rather the environment around it.

But it will help it against spells like Shatter, Analayze Device or Fashion (making an armored pant one-legged may sound dumb, but will drastically hamper the target's mobility) that directly interact with the item - mostly Direct Combat and Manipulation spells.
imperialus
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 14 2010, 10:50 AM) *
As for "High Power Ammo"… No, just No. This is a really sad day, with the inside joke about munchkins and gun nuts becoming RAW.

Again though... Availability of 20F for the ammo, a threshold 20 weapon mod that doubles the cost of the weapon and takes up two slots, the inability to use "regular" ammo including explosive or flechette and finally a -2 dice pool modifier due to recoil seems to balance it out. Again this isn't something that a starting PC is going to have. Just judging from the availability and my personal experience He'll be getting his hands on a regular supply of HP rounds at around the same time the mage starts slinging F7 or 8 fireballs as a matter of course.

By that point your PC's are probably taking on Red Samurai units, Cyberzombies, and penetrating into MCT Zero-Zero zones for their paycheques anyhow. The ante's been upped.

I'm more scared of the AP Flechette rounds personally.
Stormdrake
How does this help a grunt wearing the armor against direct spells? Sorry, I may be missing something but direct spells bypass armor or are you saying that it will help agaisnt spells that target the armor and not the wearer?
Dahrken
Option 2 I think : it helps the armor against spells that target it, but not if they target the wearer.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (imperialus @ Dec 14 2010, 07:24 PM) *
The ante's been upped.

It was upped before – is not like this mockery called HPA really needed to be.
QUOTE (imperialus @ Dec 14 2010, 07:24 PM) *
I'm more scared of the AP Flechette rounds personally.

Those are worse indeed. Added fun about all those "flechette only" weapons.
Stormdrake
While there is some power increase I can accept it in military hardware and abilities. This simply plays to the idea that corporations and nations can always pull out bigger guns than the runners can ever hope for.

I really do like the Redundant Process Manufacturing modification as it makes drones and vehicles a heck of a lot harder for mages to kill.

As Atzlan and Amazonia are the ones throwing down I was surprised at the lack of magical insanity included in the game masters section. Was fully expecting some insane blood magic rituals.
Mäx
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Dec 14 2010, 09:06 PM) *
I really do like the Redundant Process Manufacturing modification as it makes drones and vehicles a heck of a lot harder for mages to kill.

Only if your stupid enough to try to wreck vehicles with direct combat spells, witch isn't exactly a good plan even with out that mod.
bluedragon7
Reading it feels strange, in the rules section the authors showed, they do not know the existing rules, sometimes even reinventing the wheel but just calling it different.
And other parts as well do not look like whoever designed it knew what he was doing.

The only thing i found so far i would consider good is the mechanics for large pool sizes, nice idea!
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Dec 14 2010, 08:06 PM) *

Did you see the cost? Basically, you can have an additional drone/vehicle out there for each level. Not worth it.
Sengir
QUOTE (imperialus @ Dec 14 2010, 06:47 PM) *
Oh crap! Right you are... Umm... wow. That'll be entering the dustbin of "crap not allowed in Imp's game". I might allow it as a metamagic power... Maybe.

May I ask what prompts this ammount of "holy shit"?
Rotbart van Dainig
Let's just say this Adept Power gives the term "dump stat" a whole new meaning.

BTW: The Dragon Fly "mine" is great… for poor people living in the area – gather the mines without wearing metal and sell the six drones inside.
Method
I find it humorous that people are worried about "power creep" in a source book about military operations in the SR world. That kinda is the whole point.

Or perhaps we have forgotten all the bitching there was when Arsenal came out and people were crying "Wherez teh tanks?! I needz stats for tanks!!"
Sengir
Hmmm, what's the most ridiculous thing I can think of involving dumb stats...replace all physical stats with your magic rating?
Stormdrake
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 14 2010, 03:13 PM) *
Did you see the cost? Basically, you can have an additional drone/vehicle out there for each level. Not worth it.

Yes you could have an additional drone in the field but the modification makes it nearly impossible for a mage to use illusion or manipulation spells on the drone. In a heavy magic conflict that addition makes up for not having that additional drone. After all if you can't find the mage or the troops he is covering what good is an extra drone?

A more simple application would be to use it on camera's or other sensors which would accomplish the same thing at a much lower price.
Nath
QUOTE (Inncubi @ Dec 14 2010, 06:41 PM) *
As a little background intel, what used to be the world's most dangerous neighborhood was only two... yes /two/ blocks away form the presidential home (think the White House: el Palacio de Nariño). It was called "El Cartucho".

Massachusetts Avenue in Washington DC is not the safest track in the US either wink.gif
(been only once to Washington, in 1996, and the room was next to George Washington U. Hospital...)
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 14 2010, 08:29 PM) *
I find it humorous that people are worried about "power creep" in a source book about military operations in the SR world. That kinda is the whole point.

No, it's not.
Or perhaps we have forgotten all the bitching there was when Arsenal came out and people were crying "Wherez teh tanks?! I needz stats for tanks!!"

Tanks, sure. Big guns? Fine. Special purpose equipment and vehicles? Please.

Tossing aside the general rating scale, that included military stuff? Not so much. More powerful ammo? Please, no. Software that's either unnecessary or simply crazy? Archery-synchronizer, I'm looking at you.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Dec 14 2010, 08:33 PM) *
Yes you could have an additional drone in the field but the modification makes it nearly impossible for a mage to use illusion or manipulation spells on the drone.

No, it doesn't for illusions, since Sensors have a seperate OR and there is no such mod for them.
QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Dec 14 2010, 08:33 PM) *
A more simple application would be to use it on camera's or other sensors which would accomplish the same thing at a much lower price.

Just that is not possible.
Makki
whoever wrote up the Adrenaline Regulator never played SR before. it makes some negative qualities free points and fluff-only. additionally some mages with metor spirits will never again care about the negative effect...
bluedragon7
QUOTE (Makki @ Dec 14 2010, 08:51 PM) *
whoever wrote ... never played SR before.

A lot of time that were just my thoughts while reading WAR! and i am far from finished with it
Summerstorm
Well, just bought it and skimmed through it (mostly rules and lists)...

Hm, expected a bit more cyberware. But overall seems ok.

Stacking pools for teams with able commanders=approved.
More drones and vehicles and therefore better information about the costs on that level=approved.
Prices and informations about rating 6-10 (usual) comlinks and programs: needed, good.

Also a sustained combat spell and a damaging, moving manipulation spell... good good, they are back.

and FINALY we got a pricetag on a geostatic weapons platform loaded with gravity bombs *g*.
1.2 billion... bah... PEANUTS.
hobgoblin

Different people at different times. Thing is, positives are never really commented online (and it would in the end just look like a long series of "high five"). Essentially, online comments are the reverse of "if you have nothing positive to say, do not say anything at all".
Makki
for a positive comment: I love the Leadership rules. (but, why is there a skill in the corebook without any rules for it?)
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Makki @ Dec 14 2010, 09:37 PM) *
for a positive comment: I love the Leadership rules. (but, why is there a skill in the corebook without any rules for it?)

"Warum liegt hier überhaupt Stroh rum?"
Sengir
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 14 2010, 09:39 PM) *
"Warum liegt hier überhaupt Stroh rum?"

Because you're in a dragon lair...and no, he's not going to do it.
Stahlseele
*snickers* ^^
InfinityzeN
Sa'all good bro. I wasn't trying to give a fix to every problem, just show them the location of the ones I found so they could fix them. I'm a little cranky in the morning before I have my coffee.
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 14 2010, 10:23 AM) *
Pretty sure I gave that as option number 3, InfinityzeN, except for the *other* typo that was still there. wink.gif
Aaron
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 14 2010, 10:45 AM) *
I disagree, given the context we have been provided. It makes more sense to say 'apolitical', thereby showing the error is only one keystroke, rather than 'political' and show the error was substantially more.

I also believe military power is apolitical, as it will(or should) focus on the defense of the nation-state and its citizens from external threats, not on the administration of same.

I disagree, both in the author's intent and the nature of military power.

We can discuss the latter (I'll kick it off by pointing out that the world "political" or one of its forms appears in 103 places in WAR), but as to the former, I can say for certain that the error in the sentence on p. 156 is my fault. I sometimes think faster than I type.
Stahlseele
"WAR Impressum"
Copyright© 2011  e Topps Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Ok now what does this mean?
as long as it's still 2010, they don't own copyright on their own book?
and if this is indeed the case, WHO DOES?
or is it free to copy? . .
Highly improbable, i know . .
Also, is something like that allowed to be fixed by errata, if this is more or less something legalese?
Mongoose
QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Dec 14 2010, 08:24 PM) *
and FINALY we got a pricetag on a geostatic weapons platform loaded with gravity bombs *g*.
1.2 billion... bah... PEANUTS.

Given the amount of space industry / habitats Shadowrun has, lifting materials into space has got to be and order or two magnitude cheaper in 207x than now. Unless there's something really fancy in that weapons platform, the price makes sense, given cheap launch rates (equivalent to $1000 per kilo, just 1/10 current rate).
Bull
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 14 2010, 06:37 PM) *
Ok now what does this mean?
as long as it's still 2010, they don't own copyright on their own book?
and if this is indeed the case, WHO DOES?
or is it free to copy? . .
Highly improbable, i know . .
Also, is something like that allowed to be fixed by errata, if this is more or less something legalese?

Keep in mind that the PDF is, AFAIK, the same document that is sent to the printers to have turned into print books. And even if CGL hits the "send" button today, chances are slim to none that the book will be on gaming shelves before the first of the year.

As such, the book will be officially released in 2011. And the copyright is valid, so far as I know.

(The PDF releases themselves are a whole other situation, but... I will point out that comics have been doing similar things for decades. Marvel and DC both have the "release" month and year in their books (In the legalese inside, and they used to print the month on the cover as well). However, for some reason, these were inevitably like 3-4 months "ahead". So a book I would buy in December, might actually say "March, 2011" inside. According to Wikipedia this is a standard practice for almost all Periodical publications in the US, Canada, and the UK. The reason was so that the release could "sit" on the shelf for a couple of months and still appear "fresh". It's a marketing thing, mostly, but... *shrug*

I'm not entirely certain how this all relates together, to be honest. Copyright law is some of the most confusing and fucked up stuff out there. The mess is compounded by the fact that copyright law differs from country to country, sometimes wildly.

<shrug> Considering it's 2 weeks till 2011, I'm not certain it's an issue regardless.

Bull
Stahlseele
*shrugs*
did not know that.
has that happened before with shadowrun books? O.o
furthermore, if it IS, indeed, a mistake . .
it gets kinda silly, if you start needing Errata for your Impressum <.<
Bull
Not sure. I don't think FanPro or CGL ever released anything on PDF this close to the end of the year before, so not sure that this issue would have come up.

But like I said, I assume it's not an error, since this is what's going in the print book. And as I noted, the Print Book won't be on shelves till 2011, which makes the copyright date correct for that.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Mongoose @ Dec 15 2010, 12:51 AM) *
Given the amount of space industry / habitats Shadowrun has, lifting materials into space has got to be and order or two magnitude cheaper in 207x than now. Unless there's something really fancy in that weapons platform, the price makes sense, given cheap launch rates (equivalent to $1000 per kilo, just 1/10 current rate).

The Kilimanjaro railgun probably helps...
Adam
QUOTE (Bull @ Dec 14 2010, 07:54 PM) *
Keep in mind that the PDF is, AFAIK, the same document that is sent to the printers to have turned into print books.

It's not. Same content, very different PDF files.
Adam
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 14 2010, 08:07 PM) *
*shrugs*
did not know that.
has that happened before with shadowrun books? O.o
furthermore, if it IS, indeed, a mistake . .
it gets kinda silly, if you start needing Errata for your Impressum <.<

It's not a mistake; it's 100% normal for a title to be produced in one year and the copyright date be for the next year, if it's being released in the next year.

There are no legal ramifications for this.
Prime Mover
Personal nitpick, art for new weapons/vehicles/gear quantity and quality? (I know were long past full page days but Its a HUGE help to have some representation.)
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 15 2010, 01:54 AM) *
It's not a mistake; it's 100% normal for a title to be produced in one year and the copyright date be for the next year, if it's being released in the next year.

There are no legal ramifications for this.

People win suits because their coffee did not say HOT on the side.
A woman got legal ownership of the sun.
Megu
OK, one thing I've been waiting on... is there much information on war zones other than Bogota? Specifically SE Asia?
Adam
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 14 2010, 09:16 PM) *
People win suits because their coffee did not say HOT on the side.
A woman got legal ownership of the sun.

Gosh you've convinced me.
Stahlseele
Not saying anyone would go to the trouble for a shadowrun book but . .
Stranger things HAVE happened . .
hobgoblin
like a shooting war over a soccer match?
Bull
QUOTE (Adam @ Dec 14 2010, 07:41 PM) *
It's not. Same content, very different PDF files.

Meh. That's what I meant. Reading back on it, I realize I misworded it. Fun! smile.gif

I'm just glad i don;t have to deal with any of that stuff. I have enough trouble trying to make sure SR4 instead of SR4A page references get fixed and that the right people get listed in the credits. Plus, none of the docs I'm working on are going to print. smile.gif

(Seriously, I have a boiler plate set of text in an "Adventure Template", and I swear I've corrected the same page reference 4 or 5 times now. And yet, it keeps popping back up. Very annoying)

Bull
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012