Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: War, HUH! It's out on pdf
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
DMFubar
Found it on Battleshop and rpgnow in pdf format.
JM Hardy
I knew someone here was going to be too fast for me. Anyway, official announcement coming soon. But yeah, it's out! And at the printers!

Jason H.
Doc Chase
Oh, shit.

I know what I'm downloading when I get home.
TeOdio
Any word on Runner's Tool Kit? I might be the only one interested in a new GM screen but it sounded pretty good.
InfinityzeN
Downloaded, reading now...
JM Hardy
QUOTE (TeOdio @ Dec 13 2010, 09:49 PM) *
Any word on Runner's Tool Kit? I might be the only one interested in a new GM screen but it sounded pretty good.

Just waitin' for the green light on that one!

Jason H.
Pax
Hey folks, War! is up on Drive Thru RPG and Battlecorps.
Method
Merged.

Sorry Pax. DMFubar beat you to it. smile.gif

Out of curiosity, what did they end up doing with the Overlapping Grenade Blast rules? Still additive?
InfinityzeN
haven't gotten that far into it yet, will let you know if someone doesn't post before me.

Bogota takes up well over half of the book...
Method
Thanks! The wife told me I have to wait til tomorrow to buy a copy... ohplease.gif
InfinityzeN
Error in the really large dice pools example. It says "or 23 dice (Large Dice Pool)" when it should say 32 dice.

Method, grenades are still additive. The rules have been tweaked a bit though.
Method
What I mean is in the playtest draft the grenade blasts were just straight additive, as in 2 grenades means 15P + 15P = 30P. Is it the same in the final?
InfinityzeN
No, you calculate damage for each grenade on the target (fracturing in distance, etc). Take the full amount of the highest, plus half of all others.
Method
Woot!! biggrin.gif They actually listen to us!
InfinityzeN
Of course they do. They have also listened after any PDF came out but before it went to the printers. Don't know if they will have time for this one since it is already at the printers. I actually found a few errors already.

Second error is page 155, Ares Shockbeam description, second paragraph. Says "... brick or orichalcum...", when it should say "brick of orichalcum"

Third error is page 156, RFID Rounds description. Says "Military power is at is core a political...". The "a" should be removed.

Oh, and the 144F availability... priceless!
JM Hardy
QUOTE (Method @ Dec 13 2010, 11:27 PM) *
Woot!! biggrin.gif They actually listen to us!

Only because you make sense.

Jason H.
Method
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Dec 13 2010, 09:41 PM) *
Only because you make sense.

Jason H.

Thanks! I like to think so. smile.gif

In all seriousness though, its good to know that our feedback is taken into account.
InfinityzeN
Cluster of errors on page 161. The Microtronica Azteca Spellslinger has no chart entry. At the end of the Spellslinger's discription, it starts talking about commlinks with no new item marker (all other points in the gear section, including the individual commlinks, are bolded and use colons).

Edit: Never mind on the chart entry of the Spellslinger, found it next page. Weird that it's description is first, but its chart entry is right before software.

Emergency Field Dressing has a description (page 163), but I have not been able to find a chart entry for it. I quadruple checked after what I found with Spellslinger, and could not find it anywhere.

Hedgehog Nanites have a discription (page 164), but no entry on the chart with all the nanites.
InfinityzeN
Jason,

Do you guys have time to give this thing another proof read and fix errors? I just lightly skimmed the fluff so I can't give you any input there, but I'm finding one or more errors for every page in the crunch I'm reading.
BookWyrm
Gonna wait for the hardcopy release for WAR. Also, the Catalyst site says Spells & Chrome will be available on Dec. 22nd. Is that PDF or hardcopy? So far, I've wishlisted SRM 3-08, 09, 11, 12 & This Old Drone PDF's on DriveThru. After a recent ordering snafu with Borders, I'm going to order Spells & Chrome through my local Barnes & Noble. I may have to wait until ICON (April 15th-17 2011) for most of the other upcoming books.
Yerameyahu
Third error is page 156, RFID Rounds description. Says "Military power is at is core a political...". The "a" should be removed.
This is a very odd error report.

My guess is that it's *meant* to be, 'Military power is at *its* core *a* political…', in which case the error report is erroneous.

Another possibility is, 'Military power is at [] core *a* political…', and the error report is still wrong. biggrin.gif

It is further possible that it's, 'Military power is at [] core [] political…', and, yep, error report is still wrong, in a different detail.
JM Hardy
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Dec 14 2010, 12:15 AM) *
Jason,

Do you guys have time to give this thing another proof read and fix errors? I just lightly skimmed the fluff so I can't give you any input there, but I'm finding one or more errors for every page in the crunch I'm reading.

I'll be checking tomorrow for last-minute correction possibilities.

Jason H.
hobgoblin
any tanks in there? oh, and did they clear up the launch weapon capacity issue?
Sengir
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Dec 14 2010, 05:54 AM) *
I'll be checking tomorrow for last-minute correction possibilities.

Jason H.

Well, if not you can always put out an errata...sometime...
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 14 2010, 10:10 AM) *
Well, if not you can always put out an errata...sometime...

You didn't get the memo, huh?
Sengir
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 14 2010, 10:33 AM) *
You didn't get the memo, huh?

I'm only receiving input sequencially, so any memos will only come through after the announcment of new novels nyahnyah.gif

PS: So what do I get for 144F? Shark biodrones with head-mounted Ares MP Lasers?
Hagga
Is it just me, or does the Shadowtalk from some of the characters not really fit? At all?
Saint Sithney
So, uh... what is it good for?

The book that is.

#% Bogata
#% Rules clarifications
#% Gear
#% Art
?
InfinityzeN
Seriously man, did you even get the PDF and look at it? The full line is "Military power is at its core a political, and it can be important to know who is throwing around that power." The report is not in error since as writen it is wrong. Taking the "a" out fixes the problem, though changing the word to one of several also does. I was just pointing out that there is an error there. Next time get the PDF and look before you make a comment about an error report.
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Dec 13 2010, 11:50 PM) *
This is a very odd error report.

My guess is that it's *meant* to be, 'Military power is at *its* core *a* political…', in which case the error report is erroneous.

Another possibility is, 'Military power is at [] core *a* political…', and the error report is still wrong. biggrin.gif

It is further possible that it's, 'Military power is at [] core [] political…', and, yep, error report is still wrong, in a different detail.
Mesh
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Dec 14 2010, 08:58 AM) *
The report is not in error since as writen it is wrong.

LOL, That's interesting. smile.gif

Mesh
Saint Sithney
Oh InfinityzeN, the humor comes from the fact that you're*original error report had an error in it.

*[see what I did there?]
Doc Chase
QUOTE (InfinityzeN @ Dec 14 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Seriously man, did you even get the PDF and look at it? The full line is "Military power is at its core a political, and it can be important to know who is throwing around that power." The report is not in error since as writen it is wrong. Taking the "a" out fixes the problem, though changing the word to one of several also does. I was just pointing out that there is an error there. Next time get the PDF and look before you make a comment about an error report.

If that's the line, then it should be 'apolitical'.
MJBurrage
Only had a chance to fast-skim the book, but I did notice one thing.

• The nuyen costs in tables should be right-aligned, not left-aligned.

P.S. A question for Mr. Hardy. Have you considered releasing the PDFs a month before the book goes to the printer. I think it would be good for everyone to have lots of eyes on the books before they are set to paper.
sabs
that would potentially hurt Book sales though
Aaron
QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Dec 14 2010, 08:22 AM) *
If that's the line, then it should be 'apolitical'.

I'm guessing that the original intent was to say that military power is at its core a political one. I'm not certain off the top of my head, but if it's important I can check the draft when I get home.
sabs
it's a rewording of the old saying.

War is the natural extension of Diplomacy.
Yerameyahu
Pretty sure I gave that as option number 3, InfinityzeN, except for the *other* typo that was still there. wink.gif
Rotbart van Dainig
Software that can make two arrows fired from bows hit at the same time, thus having them add their damage into one single hit.
Sound like the return of archery regiments.

And of course, more gear creep – there are now commlink and programs rated up to 10. So much for the Device Rating Table.
DMFubar
QUOTE (JM Hardy @ Dec 13 2010, 06:43 PM) *
I knew someone here was going to be too fast for me. Anyway, official announcement coming soon. But yeah, it's out! And at the printers!

Jason H.

Sorry Jason, I just stumbled across it while getting my gaming fix.

I printed a copy last night and so far I have enjoyed reading it. I am half-way through the history of the Bogota conflict section which has been interesting, but the formatting is a bit of a strain to the eyes for me. Lots of double columns with LONG paragraphs and with few breaks (usually pages are broken up with graphics, tables, side bars, etc.). Not really a complaint, just means I take breaks from reading occassionally. There are some other minor errors I have seen, but nothing too severe so far (like I said, haven't read too far yet).

I did skip ahead to glance at the gear (couldn't help it) and to answer a previous question, yes, there are tanks, new drones, aircraft (and aircraft carriers), etc. Even new guns, gun mods, and deadly toys. I love the Flick Bayonet (wraps around the barrel of the rifle and upon command becomes a rigid blade). Am I right in assuming the ballistic mask would look like today's paintball masks (but much more resilient of course)?

Thanks for the hard work as always!

Matsci
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 14 2010, 01:37 AM) *
I'm only receiving input sequencially, so any memos will only come through after the announcment of new novels nyahnyah.gif

PS: So what do I get for 144F? Shark biodrones with head-mounted Ares MP Lasers?

that and 1,200,000,000¥ will get you an Aesir Satellite Weapon system, capable of mounting four Thor missiles,  fifteen Freya missiles, and twenty-four Loki canisters.

Yes, the book has rules for buying and using Thor shots
Doc Chase
QUOTE (Aaron @ Dec 14 2010, 03:13 PM) *
I'm guessing that the original intent was to say that military power is at its core a political one. I'm not certain off the top of my head, but if it's important I can check the draft when I get home.

I disagree, given the context we have been provided. It makes more sense to say 'apolitical', thereby showing the error is only one keystroke, rather than 'political' and show the error was substantially more.

I also believe military power is apolitical, as it will(or should) focus on the defense of the nation-state and its citizens from external threats, not on the administration of same.
CanRay
So, the problems with the text and such... Are we talking "Fallout 3/New Vegas" buggy (Problems, but still fun), or "Windows ME on Release" Buggy (OH DEAR $DIETY, what were you THINKING releasing that?)?
Doc Chase
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 14 2010, 03:52 PM) *
So, the problems with the text and such... Are we talking "Fallout 3/New Vegas" buggy (Problems, but still fun), or "Windows ME on Release" Buggy (OH DEAR $DIETY, what were you THINKING releasing that?)?

The former, I figure.
Sengir
QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig @ Dec 14 2010, 04:25 PM) *
And of course, more gear creep – there are now commlink and programs rated up to 10. So much for the Device Rating Table.

Given that another gear book is around the corner (because having all military gear in one book takes away all the searching fun), anyone want to bet on the friction coefficient of the slippery slope? biggrin.gif

But 1.2 Billion for an orbital weapon platform to hold the world hostage with sounds fair...and it's even got cool norse names (and not some pseudo-German gibberish) cool.gif
Prime Mover
Bah too close to Christmas and budget belt is cinched tight, this one was on my wish list for gear section alone and it sounds promising. (gear creep and all)
CanRay
Don't forget that the previous gear books (and stat restrictions) have been, mostly, for civilian items. (Police and Security Forces included with Civilian.). With some obsolete MilSpec to round things out.

These puppies will be SOTA, Bleeding Edge, "We're just now receiving reports that Ares has pulled a new toy onto the field in this Desert War battle!" gear!
Prime Mover
In a game were the players are routinely interacting with "cutting edge" people and discoveries it's nice to have a reference. Even if I wouldn't allow a Thor launcher purchase.

So what are the 3 coolest things that stand out so far. ( Just picked number three out of a hat.)
imperialus
Sweet Christ... Thor is finally statted up. Awesome! I totally need to find an excuse to use one of those.

The thing is a lot of the 'power creep' can be done away with pretty easy... I mean an availability of 144F for the Aesir? That just screams plot device.

Even a rating 7 hacking program has an avail of 28 and costs 49,000 nuyen... Multiply that by 4 hacking programs and you're looking at just under 200,000 for your program suite alone at a base price. The MCT tactical to run it on has an avail of 32 and costs 18,500... At the end of the day the rating 7+ programs are a hacker equivalent of deltaware. No PC is going to get their hands on these unless the GM expressly allows it.
Rotbart van Dainig
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 14 2010, 05:41 PM) *
Don't forget that the previous gear books (and stat restrictions) have been, mostly, for civilian items.

No. They already have lots of military items included, from weapons to drones and War! is even referencing to those.

The main book rates Devices 1-6, including military gear and vehicles on the upper end, putting Response of 7 as some R&D stuff. In Arsenal, the Commlinks integrated into Military armor are rated 4-6. Unwired lists Programs of 7 as absolutely restricted in usage.
War lists the Battle Buddy Basic Commlink as the standard issue for a grunt, with rating 5 – so far, so well. Then it goes batshit crazy, jumps directly to 7 for the Battle Buddy and goes up to Response 9, with the maximum upgrade available to 10… software, too.

Same for the new SoftWeave Armor "upgrade" – which basically let's a character add his Strengh in to determine Encumbrance, for a 10% upgrade in price, a slight increase in availability and no change in legality.
CanRay
Right right... Sorry. I forgot the main two rules:

1: Never post before you're awake.
2: Better to be thought an idiot than to post on DumpShock and remove all doubt.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012