Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Preview #3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 14 2013, 08:58 AM) *
Is priority really that much faster then BP/karma gen?

A lot fewer moving parts, IMO, and that makes it assloads faster. Our playtest group had characters ready to play in less than an hour. Now that books are out, even if just to the Origins attendees at the moment, I plan on running a chargen clinic this weekend to get more real-world data. But if my wife, who is not a role-player and doesn't spend a great deal of time worrying about my hobby, can make a character in an hour and six minutes (I timed her)...then yeah, it's a lot faster.
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 14 2013, 07:58 AM) *
Is priority really that much faster then BP/karma gen?
The biggest time sink is generally buying stuff and with priority you can get about 200k more then you could in SR4, so that might take even more time.
Well now that i think about it, there only being one book to get stuff from for a while should speed up the gearing up some what wink.gif

I actually spent less time back in SR1-3 with Priority A in resources... and I had ¥1,000,000 back then...

Picking your resources priority and then spending money as opposed to balancing buying another piece of gear, or a skill at rank 1 or something else... that's where it starts to get sticky.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 13 2013, 12:39 PM) *
No. A system should help the GM, not make more work. You can make systems that are more resistant to abuse, and the only reason to not try is laziness.

This.

Game design theory treats players as a reactionary mass rather than thinking individuals for a reason.

Players as a group will ALWAYS figure out the path to the most power for the least resources, and use it. GMs can help, but that is not an excuse for the rules designer to get lazy and say, "oh, the GMs will take care of it, I don't have to try and balance the game".

-k
Epicedion
QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Jun 14 2013, 11:26 AM) *
I actually spent less time back in SR1-3 with Priority A in resources... and I had ¥1,000,000 back then...

Picking your resources priority and then spending money as opposed to balancing buying another piece of gear, or a skill at rank 1 or something else... that's where it starts to get sticky.

Right. The act of selecting gear remains generally the same, but you don't spend time fine-tuning each 5000 nuyen versus spending the build point elsewhere. You just have 400,000 or however much, and you spend as much of it as you reasonably can, instead of dithering "well if I buy this at Rating 2 instead of Rating 3, and I don't get the Survival Knife, and I wear a longcoat instead of a securetech ultravest..."
Glyph
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jun 14 2013, 03:46 AM) *
The only real problem you get, is if the different players aren't "on the same page", so to speak, and one shows up with a character with a high DP being 8 dice, another shows up expecting trenchcoat 'n mirrorshades, and a third one shows up with a hyper optimized character build for pink mohawk with DP's in the 25+ range on their specialties, and 1-2 in everything else. Nobody is going to be having fun at that table. But stuff like that should really be left up to the players and GM to address, because IMO you can't do it through the rules, and still have a game that can appeal to a wide selection of different player types.

/Kyrel

To me, the problem isn't so much power level as play style. Shadowrun lets you start out all up and down the power and experience scale. You can be a fresh-faced kid out to make his mark, or a middle-aged ex-corporate expediter who is burned out and on a downward spiral. You can be someone who is a Jack of all trades, or someone who is a master of one. To me, it is more important to have people playing together, and playing the same overall style of game, than it is to try enforcing some kind of parity in power. Especially for a game like Shadowrun, where breadth of ability is often more important than being awesome at just one or two things.

The guy with 8 dice and the guy with 25+ could hang together if they both fit into the same world. Maybe the guy with 8 dice is Sammy the Snitch, a weaselly guy with lots of friends in low places and a pug-nosed revolver that he would rather not have to use. Maybe the guy with 25+ dice is a hulking troll modelled after Marv from Sin City. But if they are both roleplaying their characters appropriately in a gritty noir-style game, then they could certainly work together. The problems come up when the play styles clash. If the GM envisions a game of up-and-coming pros, the guy with 8 dice is playing a street punk loser who is just starting out as a runner, and the guy with 25+ dice spins up the barrels of his Vindicator minigun any time the game gets bogged down in all of that boring talking stuff, then things won't go so well.

It remains to be seen how flexible SR5 is. To me, the two biggest strengths of Shadowrun were the ability to craft characters of bewildering variety, and the ability to accommodate a wide variety of different play styles (although not always all at once).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012