Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Preview #3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Epicedion
QUOTE (Aaron @ Jun 8 2013, 12:12 PM) *
Hardly my baby. The credit really goes to whoever came up with the SR4 spellcasting system, with additional credit to whoever thought to extend that system to hacking.

A bunch of us proposed a number of systems, and limits was the option that offered the most. My money was on a double dice pool system similar to the one in SR3, but It didn't have the same range, functionality, or usefulness as limits.

Along those lines, calling it my system is kinda like calling this thread Seerow's thread. I'll take credit as a contributor, but it's hardly "my" system. What makes you think it is?

Again, the limits in the SR4 spellcasting system are nothing like the limits being put in SR5 in general, since you don't get to set your own limit (within a range based on attributes) with respect to some mechanical risk vs effectiveness system (eg, Drain).

Limits do nothing but hamper effectiveness, because apparently the system sees characters being too effective. So instead of redefining what it takes to be effective, or rescaling how characters attain power, they've introduced a mechanical hurdle that just chops it off at a certain point. It's bad game design -- it takes a problem in the system and solves it by introducing another problem in the system. Limits are pretty simply an Edge Tax for being too good. It looks like a tax, and it smells like a tax, and no one likes taxes.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 8 2013, 12:35 PM) *
I'd actually swap attributes and skills in that build. I'd probably get bigger dicepools with 20 in atrributes and only 18 in skills even though it meant I had a lot of skills at 1 or 2. Honestly E anything is really hard, for a metahuman mage I'd go E resources since you an get by with a armor jacket and a pack of smokes. So A magic, B atrributes C skills, D race E resources. Hard to say it depends on how close you are trying to get to remaking a old archetype or making a new one under gneric concept, elven mage. Honestly I'd be tempted to go B magic, to get A in attributes for a lot of mages and use the special attribute boost to get me back to 6 magic. Dropping 3 spells, 2 skill levels and 1 magic which can be made up from a different resource pool seeems worth it to me for those 4 attribute points.

Possibly.

I'm curious to see what you coud put together, using what of the Chargen rules are currently released. Obviously, you won't be able to do *everything*, but I'm curious to see what happens when we go from chatting to a bit of pen to paper. (The latter effect taught us a lot about Trolls in early chargen states, for instance. One thing to say something, another to break out paper and go, "Man. Ouch.")

Be willing to make a go of it?
Nath
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 8 2013, 07:58 PM) *
I'm curious to see what you coud put together, using what of the Chargen rules are currently released.
It seems difficult without knowing the cost and effect of cyber/bioware and adept powers. You can try one mundane, non-cybered face, or a mage (though we won't know how good he will be at tackling Drain before seeing the spell list and actual Drain formulae).
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jun 8 2013, 01:58 PM) *
Possibly.

I'm curious to see what you coud put together, using what of the Chargen rules are currently released. Obviously, you won't be able to do *everything*, but I'm curious to see what happens when we go from chatting to a bit of pen to paper. (The latter effect taught us a lot about Trolls in early chargen states, for instance. One thing to say something, another to break out paper and go, "Man. Ouch.")

Be willing to make a go of it?

Its hard to say without the books. I don't know the value of certain skills and if they changed etc. But using hero builder I slapped in the points making him way over 400 BP for a A attributes, B magic, C elf, D skills, E resources character. I almost never build elves and I think priority hits metahumans pretty hard but below is what I put together in like 5 minutes. So on the side, damn priority is quicker. Left out spells as I have no idea what they are yet. But Fireball, levitate, chatoic world, heal and 3 others seem a decent pick.

Edit to add I am still unsure on how the skill groups work part of why I went with D skills. Is it 28 skill points + 2 points in skill groups or is it 28 skill points 2 of which can be groups? CAn I buy a skill gorup and then break it up with my remaining points. For example lets say I have A skills can I take 1 in 10 different skill groups and then use the 46 or 36 points left to bump up specific skills in those groups? Also without seeing advancement costs it is hard to make a character for anything that is meant to be a long term campaign. Not that it effects this build but other things we don't know are order of operation issues. My main thought is the exceptional attribute quality. So qualities is step 4 so I already spent my attributes in step 2, so awesome my stat now has 7 as its max in magic, well do get it to 7 do I need to spend karma or do I could I have saved a stat point from an earlier step.

[ Spoiler ]
Cain
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 7 2013, 01:54 PM) *
You nailed it. I like to think of Edge (and previously the Karma Pool and burning Karma) as the result of experience rather than luck. You can buy the Lucky quality to add just one point to Edge.

The problem with the Karma Pool was was when you had earned 200 or so karma, and had so much, you became hard to challenge. Edge has a similar problem, but it can be front-loaded, so starting characters can be nigh-unstoppable.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 8 2013, 08:11 PM) *
The problem with the Karma Pool was was when you had earned 200 or so karma, and had so much, you became hard to challenge. Edge has a similar problem, but it can be front-loaded, so starting characters can be nigh-unstoppable.

The problem with karma pool was that it eventually became a nigh-limitless resource for rerolls. Even at 20 karma pool it was only worth 5 extra dice on one roll, with some change. But you could reroll failures on 20 separate rolls.
Mäx
QUOTE (Nath @ Jun 7 2013, 11:58 PM) *
Not to mention treating Edge purely as luck cause some metaphysical problems regarding the reason why humans would get one point more than the other metatypes.

1 point is nothing, mundane humans can't start with edge lower then 5 wobble.gif
And yes i know i mentioned this earlier, but i think this silliness need to be mentioned more often.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 9 2013, 08:59 AM) *
1 point is nothing, mundane humans can't start with edge lower then 5 wobble.gif
And yes i know i mentioned this earlier, but i think this silliness need to be mentioned more often.

Indeed, that is just crazy.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 9 2013, 10:59 AM) *

Every character creation system has its silly points. But yes this one is dang silly.
Shinobi Killfist
I know this has been touched on, but assuming there isn't something we are missing how many people would let the mystic adept as shown into a game? Compared to an adept he loses 4 attribute points and 12 karma but gains 10 spells 2 magic skills at 5 the ability to cast spells,rituals, enchantment stuff and summon and bind spirits. IMO unless there is a HUGE balancing factor they are totally broken compared to either adepts or pure mages and mages were never weak in Shadowrun. As is its an instant not in my game.
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Jun 9 2013, 01:11 PM) *
I know this has been touched on, but assuming there isn't something we are missing how many people would let the mystic adept as shown into a game? Compared to an adept he loses 4 attribute points and 12 karma but gains 10 spells 2 magic skills at 5 the ability to cast spells,rituals, enchantment stuff and summon and bind spirits. IMO unless there is a HUGE balancing factor they are totally broken compared to either adepts or pure mages and mages were never weak in Shadowrun. As is its an instant not in my game.

They lose astral projection and must buy astral perception with power points as compared to magicians, but still seem to be almost the best of both worlds. I'm guessing that karma costs to raise things is much higher after character creation. Better get the increased attribute to start with Magic at 7.
Cain
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 8 2013, 07:25 PM) *
The problem with karma pool was that it eventually became a nigh-limitless resource for rerolls. Even at 20 karma pool it was only worth 5 extra dice on one roll, with some change. But you could reroll failures on 20 separate rolls.

Getting there was always the issue, since you couldn't just start with a karma pool of 20. You had to earn it the hard way. Additionally, I used the graduated karma pool rule, so the costs were constantly going up. It didn't stop the issue, but it did slow it down. Edge, being front-loadable, breaks things much more quickly and is much easier to get a hold of.
Bull
1 point is nothing, mundane humans can't start with edge lower then 5

I'm confused. Why can't a Mundane Human start with an edge of 2 (Priority E) or 4 (Priority D)?
bannockburn
Because then he wouldn't be mundane anymore, since every priority except E will give him a magic attribute. And with D he gains 3 special attribute points, added to his 2 base Edge.
Stahlseele
Hmm, can he simply not spend them and instead, seeing how it's SUPPOSED TO BE KARMA use it on something else?
Like starting with the Karma for these Points into the Game to do stuff like raising a skill above char generation limit of 6 or what the frag kind of Bulldrek you need Karma for in game?
KarmaInferno
They aren't Karma. They are Special Attribute Points. If you don't use em you lose them.

You get an allocation of 25 Karma later in the character creation process, expandable to 50 Karma by taking Negative Qualities. Those you CAN, apparantly, save for in-game use,

-k
Not of this World
The problem with Karma Pool / Edge has always been the accumulation of points rather than spending of points. In SR2-3 I always simplified this to "Permanently burn 1 point of Karma Pool to change the fate of the dice". In effect they could choose any use of Karma including the Hand of G-d rule just by burning 1 point. Because more than super weapons, attributes or incredible skills, a high enough Karma Pool would break the mechanics of the game.
Mäx
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 12:12 AM) *
I'm confused. Why can't a Mundane Human start with an edge of 2 (Priority E) or 4 (Priority D)?

You can't take E in race if you wan't to be mundane, you have to take at least D witch is 3 special attribute points for human.
So thats edge of 5(2+3).
Bull
QUOTE (Mäx @ Jun 10 2013, 02:02 AM) *
You can't take E in race if you wan't to be mundane, you have to take at least D witch is 3 special attribute points for human.
So thats edge of 5(2+3).

Yeah, I haven't actually slept more than a few hours at a time for the last week or so, and I'm in super overtime crunch mode for my Amish Taxi Day Job Flaw, my Shadowrun Missions job, and trying to squeeze in time to read forums, proof PDFs that are coming out, prep for Origins, and a few other things. And maybe sleep and eat in between, if I remember. Somehow I completely forgot about the human's innate bonus.

And, technically, there's nothing stopping you from taking Magic at D and then just not taking the magic points. smile.gif You don't HAVE to spend the points you're given. smile.gif

But yeah. Each level of whatever has a relative value, and apparently that's just how that shook up for the priority system. It's good to be human. Just ask Humanis.

There's always a quirk with these things. SR1-2 it meant that Mages were always Millionaires, since Magic and Resources were tied together.

The SR5 version of the Companion will be out soon enough, and then everyone can stop bitching about this and bitch about how we screwed BPs or Karmagen up instead. Personally, I think we need to add in a couple more chargen options. I have an idea for one that uses M&Ms. It's particularly rough for players who like to munch on candy during game sessions though. smile.gif

Bull
Larsine
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 09:03 AM) *
The SR5 version of the Companion will be out soon enough, and then everyone can stop bitching about this and bitch about how we screwed BPs or Karmagen up instead. Personally, I think we need to add in a couple more chargen options. I have an idea for one that uses M&Ms. It's particularly rough for players who like to munch on candy during game sessions though. smile.gif

We use M&Ms (or other sweets) for combat. It's fun when you shoot a bad guy, and get to eat the sweet, but not fun when you accidentally grab your own PC-M&Ms.
Bull
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jun 10 2013, 04:40 AM) *
We use M&Ms (or other sweets) for combat. It's fun when you shoot a bad guy, and get to eat the sweet, but not fun when you accidentally grab your own PC-M&Ms.

There was an old Knights of the Dinner Table issue where this one gaming group uses bowls of M&Ms for their PCs Hit Points, and one of the players keeps sneaking them from other players' bowls to munch on. smile.gif
bannockburn
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 09:03 AM) *

Bull

While I generally agree with you, that all the moaning and wailing and gnashing of teeth is not particularly helpful, I also think that it would be good to acknowledge that some of these are legitimate concerns. Snark isn't helpful either, in my opinion, even if good natured. It can come across as very arrogant in an internet setting.
I'm not saying that I personally received it as such, but it is a heated debate for some reason and could easily be interpreted wrongly.

On another matter: Sweets as Edge works really well.
Eat one when you spend one, get one back from your GM when you regenerate.
Just don't eat too much biggrin.gif
thorya
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 03:03 AM) *

Bull

But once the books out, I won't be able to make up things to complain.

Like, I'm super pissed that the SR5 version of Unwired has rules for mages using magic through the matrix and that spirits now have the spirit power Hack, which lets them beat any computer system.

And the quality, "Well Placed Bribe"? Not only is it overpowered that I get 50 karma just for giving the GM food weekly, and that's in the rules, it completely ruins all the characters I had planned since I can't take "Well Placed Bribe" with the "I win" quality. And why does my character's quality require that I do something in the real world? Are you trying to dictate how our game group operates! What if I want to bring Cheese dip and chips to the game? Why is pizza given priority?

I'm not even going to buy SR5 now. It will save me money on pizza and M&M's. smile.gif
thorya
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 7 2013, 02:51 PM) *
My arguments are pretty well known here on the boards (over the last several years), but they tend to be discounted by some here as something akin to a "Gentleman's Agreement" that we apparently have at our table to not break the game. It really is just this simple... DO NOT TRY TO BREAK THE GAME. *shrug*

Tymeaus Jalynsfein, I'm surprised you've been so down on 5th, since you've vehemently defended 4th edition so many times and repeatedly said that there's nothing wrong with SR4 and that it works perfectly when other people raise issues.
Won't everything just run smooth at your table because you guys aren't concerned with pushing the limits of the game (no pun intended)? Maybe the limits address something that wasn't a problem, because of your style of play, but then won't you just use optional rules/house rules as you do now and not have a problem?

p.s. Not being sarcastic here. I really am confused how your complaints about 5e are any different than the complaints about 4e you dismiss, except that they're yours. *shrug*
Shemhazai
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 03:03 AM) *
SR1-2 it meant that Mages were always Millionaires, since Magic and Resources were tied together.

I wish... I took the 50 spell points and 150,000 nuyen. That was the most I could get. My mundane teammates took the million.
Bull
QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Jun 10 2013, 07:38 AM) *
I wish... I took the 50 spell points and 150,000 nuyen. That was the most I could get. My mundane teammates took the million.

How did you only get 150,000¥? In both Shadowrun 1 and Shadowrun 2, under the Priority System Resources A gave you 50 Force Points to buy spells* and 1,000,000¥ (I'm looking at the SR2 Priority chart right now).

SR3 Switched it up and gave you Spell Points** automatically based on whether your were a Full Magician (Priority A) or Aspected Magician (Priority B). So Magicians couldn't take the 1,000,000¥ in SR3.

For those not familiar with older editions:

* In SR 1 and SR 2, you purchased spells by both their Force AND by their Damage Code (Light, Moderate, Serious, Deadly) and could only cast it at that level. So if you learned a single target fire spell (Flamethrower) at Force 6 with a S (Serious) Damage code, you always cast it at 6S. YOu could never "pull it" to do a 4M damage code, or punch it up to do a 6D. So it wasn't uncommon for some spells to be learned at multiple values.

** In SR 3, you still purchased at a specific Force rating, but you could now "pull" the Force rating and cast at a lower one if you wanted, and you got to choose the damage code. Hence the need for fewer Spell points.

Bull
Larsine
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 03:27 PM) *
How did you only get 150,000¥? In both Shadowrun 1 and Shadowrun 2, under the Priority System Resources A gave you 50 Force Points to buy spells* and 1,000,000¥ (I'm looking at the SR2 Priority chart right now).

You would have to use priority A to be a human magician in SR1.

Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (thorya @ Jun 10 2013, 06:27 AM) *
Tymeaus Jalynsfein, I'm surprised you've been so down on 5th, since you've vehemently defended 4th edition so many times and repeatedly said that there's nothing wrong with SR4 and that it works perfectly when other people raise issues.
Won't everything just run smooth at your table because you guys aren't concerned with pushing the limits of the game (no pun intended)? Maybe the limits address something that wasn't a problem, because of your style of play, but then won't you just use optional rules/house rules as you do now and not have a problem?

p.s. Not being sarcastic here. I really am confused how your complaints about 5e are any different than the complaints about 4e you dismiss, except that they're yours. *shrug*

I can answer that. I refuse to pay money for an "Improvement" that is not. Same reason I never bought into DnD4.
I see it as a Grab for more of my money, and sadly, I do not have a lot of money; so asking me to throw it at a new edition, an edition that I see as flawed beyond compare (Limits just piss me off, in this case), is ludicrous. And if the solution is to use Houserules to fix the ixsue of SR5, why am I purchasing SR5? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. SR4A works just fine, and with almost no Houserules/Optional Rules. *shrug*

On Limits: I Love the feeling of when you get an amazing roll. In SR5, regardless of whether my limit is average (more likely than not) or High-end, I will lose out on amazing successes when they happen unless I PAY to have that amazing result. That is just stupid, in my opinion. There are other things in the previews that I do not like, but suffice it to say that I think the design team went way off the reservation on this edition. *shrug*
DireRadiant
I for one will wait till I read the whole new edition and all the changes before forming my opinion.

It was either limits or pool caps. I'm ok with either one.

I'm looking forward to seeing the effects of some other changes, which I think will be far more significant then Limits.
Stahlseele
Pool Caps would have been the better option, as the intended target was, again, to reduce the number of dice rolled as far as i can gather . .
DireRadiant
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 10 2013, 09:25 AM) *
Pool Caps would have been the better option, as the intended target was, again, to reduce the number of dice rolled as far as i can gather . .

I don't think it actually limits the total number of dice you can get, I foresee some very large dice pools. I think it increases the cost of getting a large pool, either by having to improve your Limit, or by paying Edge to break Limits frequently.
StealthSigma
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 10 2013, 10:24 AM) *
I for one will wait till I read the whole new edition and all the changes before forming my opinion.

Which requires purchasing or otherwise acquiring the edition. That is the crux. There are people like Tymaeus or myself, who simply will not even look at SR5 because we've heard enough that we don't like that it doesn't justify the expense or effort of looking for it.
Bull
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jun 10 2013, 09:33 AM) *
You would have to use priority A to be a human magician in SR1.

Ahh, right. I didn't dig into SR1. Human Mages started with 400,000¥ and 50 Force points. Metahuman sMages tarted with 20,000¥ and 20 Force points. I forgot how boned metas got in the old system.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (DireRadiant @ Jun 10 2013, 04:30 PM) *
I don't think it actually limits the total number of dice you can get, I foresee some very large dice pools. I think it increases the cost of getting a large pool, either by having to improve your Limit, or by paying Edge to break Limits frequently.

Pool Caps mean a direct reduction in rolled dice, as nobody would bother going above maximum.
This frees up ressources for other things so broadening the characters horizen considerably.

Limits as they are now simply mean that people with high dice pools and lucky würfel get boned.
It means people will still go for big pools to reliably hit the limit cap anyway.
CeeJay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 10 2013, 04:07 PM) *
On Limits: I Love the feeling of when you get an amazing roll. In SR5, regardless of whether my limit is average (more likely than not) or High-end, I will lose out on amazing successes when they happen unless I PAY to have that amazing result. That is just stupid, in my opinion. There are other things in the previews that I do not like, but suffice it to say that I think the design team went way off the reservation on this edition. *shrug*

Well, for what it's worth, my prediction is, that this case won't happen very often (if at all). Just because our characters will use adequate gear and our limits will be higher than the actual dicepool... cyber.gif

-CJ
sk8bcn
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 10 2013, 04:25 PM) *

Easier, not better as far as I'm concerned.
Stahlseele
Seeing how i don't see how limits on Hits and not on Pool Size is supposed to make these pools smaller, i'd say pool size capping would have been the better option . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jun 10 2013, 10:25 AM) *
limits on Hits are supposed to make these pools smaller

Who said that this was the goal?

By capping hits, it becomes a rapidly diminishing returns on what extra dice do for you (against a set threshold, the probability of success goes up, but the amount of success doesn't change). Where as caps on dice pool size cap the probability of success at a hard percentage.

Diminishing returns encourages diversification, but it doesn't enforce it.
Kyrel
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 10 2013, 05:31 PM) *

By capping hits, it becomes a rapidly diminishing returns on what extra dice do for you (against a set threshold, the probability of success goes up, but the amount of success doesn't change). Where as caps on dice pool size cap the probability of success at a hard percentage.

True Draco, but why make Limits in the first place? The argument was made that when players inflate their DP's to silly levels, you get to a point where you statistically should get 5-6+ hits per roll of the DP. Some people view this as a problem. Essentially there are three ways to address this issue, if you want to.

A) Limit the maximum size of the Dice Pool.
B) Make it so expensive to get that kind of a Dice Pool, so as to make it either next to impossible, or alternatively just so expensive that it simply isn't worth it.
C) Create a Limit on how many Hits you can get, making it pointless to inflate your Dice Pool beyond a given size, because even if you can regularly rely on rolling 5 or 6 hits, you can only use 3 of those hits, making the last 6-9 dice in the DP more or less pointless and a waste of Karma/Creds.

Personally I'd have much preferred that they had simply put a limit on the size of the DP. I.e. no more than +X additional positive modifiers beyond your Attribute + Skill. Be it a percentage or a fixed number. Either way you eliminate the problem of the inflated DP that statistically almost guarantee success.

Option B had IMO been both annoying and borderlining bad design.

As it sounds, the designers have gone with option C. I imagine that the thought behind this choice is that this both makes for a larger change to the game, adding a bigger justification for getting the new edition, and also it still allows people to inflate their DP's, if that is what tickles their fancy. From my point of view this choice is not an improvement on the game, and it is a roundabout way of trying to deal with the issue of inflated DPs.

/Kyrel
cryptoknight
QUOTE (Seerow @ Jun 7 2013, 04:18 PM) *
Which is why I even added that combat casting is already plenty viable in SR4. The main focus there would be not messing it up.

Unrelated: I'm pretty sure you can't first aid away physical drain damage.

Sorry I misread you as saying that in 4 that mages use guns because combat casting isn't effective.

My fault.

In either case, combat casting can use a tone down/nerf. Nothing major, but either lets mundanes/adepts learn counter spelling (the magic version of dodge), or prevent mages from learning dodge/gymnastics (silly I know).

Combat needs to be (shoot/cast/throw/stab/punch) (roll dice) ... then try to dodge it (roll dice), then try to soak it (roll dice). For all forms of combat, if I can try to dodge a grenade, I should be able to dodge a Mana/Stun ball.

Lots of anger and hatred from me as a Missions GM vs Direct Spells. Indirect I like... smile.gif
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 10 2013, 05:31 PM) *

if it wasn't a goal, then that's a completely different problem . .
reducing the ammount of dice rolled was a stated design goal for SR4, and you can see where that went.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jun 10 2013, 10:59 AM) *
True Draco, but why make Limits in the first place? The argument was made that when players inflate their DP's to silly levels, you get to a point where you statistically should get 5-6+ hits per roll of the DP. Some people view this as a problem. Essentially there are three ways to address this issue, if you want to.

A) Limit the maximum size of the Dice Pool.
B) Make it so expensive to get that kind of a Dice Pool, so as to make it either next to impossible, or alternatively just so expensive that it simply isn't worth it.
C) Create a Limit on how many Hits you can get, making it pointless to inflate your Dice Pool beyond a given size, because even if you can regularly rely on rolling 5 or 6 hits, you can only use 3 of those hits, making the last 6-9 dice in the DP more or less pointless and a waste of Karma/Creds.

There's at least a fourth option here: get rid of most, if not all, dice pool modifiers. I suggested earlier that a half-Attribute plus Skill dice pool would be pretty manageable, with modifiers affecting the threshold. That would make the extreme end of the dice pool around 20
Cain
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jun 10 2013, 08:31 AM) *

In theory, that's what we had with SR4.5, and look where that got us. Because the costs for raising attributes and skills scaled, it was theoretically a matter of diminishing returns. As a game balance mechanic, diminishing returns seldom works, as min/maxers can always find way to make it worth while.

QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 10 2013, 09:31 AM) *
There's at least a fourth option here: get rid of most, if not all, dice pool modifiers. I suggested earlier that a half-Attribute plus Skill dice pool would be pretty manageable, with modifiers affecting the threshold. That would make the extreme end of the dice pool around 20

That's basically his Option B; make it difficult to reach the higher sized dice pools. And again, that didn't work: limiting access to large dice pools just rewarding min/maxing more. Hard caps are the best way to prevent this.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Cain @ Jun 10 2013, 12:11 PM) *
That's basically his Option B; make it difficult to reach the higher sized dice pools. And again, that didn't work: limiting access to large dice pools just rewarding min/maxing more. Hard caps are the best way to prevent this.

There is a hard cap, it's just not artificially lower than what you're allowed to purchase.

At some reasonable Karma cost (say 2 x new skill level) it takes an extra 114 Karma to increase a single skill from 6 to 12. Then there's increasing the attribute to the maximum and cybering yourself up to the augmented maximum (remember I'm going with attribute contributing half to skill), and you're at your 'hard cap' of 16 dice for a human. And it's helluva expensive to get to. Enforcing a basic character generation limit of 6 skill, even with max attribute and full cyber the highest (human) dice pool is 10.

Essentially at maximum power, the human would be at odds to get 5 hits. Considering that in this system the threshold would move (a long range shot might have a basic threshold of 4 or 5, modified up and down by target behavior, cover, gear), even the top dog street samurai might only be expected to get a couple net hits on average. The thresholds have to move around more, because dice pool modifiers are generally meaningless difficulty changes if the threshold for success if still a 1.

That is, have 16 dice to roll and getting 8 chopped off for modifiers still only takes you from a 99% to a 96% chance of success. Modifying you down to 2 dice still gives you more than a 50% shot.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Kyrel @ Jun 10 2013, 10:59 AM) *

They did a combination of these two. They removed a lot of +pool mods, added limits, converted some +pool into +limits, and left it so that improvement was still possible: if you have no where else to go, you can STILL get an additional +1 pool, but its value is going to be pretty limited, as you're already above the average dice-to-hit-limits point.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 10 2013, 11:51 AM) *
There is a hard cap, it's just not artificially lower than what you're allowed to purchase.

At some reasonable Karma cost (say 2 x new skill level) it takes an extra 114 Karma to increase a single skill from 6 to 12. Then there's increasing the attribute to the maximum and cybering yourself up to the augmented maximum (remember I'm going with attribute contributing half to skill), and you're at your 'hard cap' of 16 dice for a human. And it's helluva expensive to get to. Enforcing a basic character generation limit of 6 skill, even with max attribute and full cyber the highest (human) dice pool is 10.

Essentially at maximum power, the human would be at odds to get 5 hits. Considering that in this system the threshold would move (a long range shot might have a basic threshold of 4 or 5, modified up and down by target behavior, cover, gear), even the top dog street samurai might only be expected to get a couple net hits on average. The thresholds have to move around more, because dice pool modifiers are generally meaningless difficulty changes if the threshold for success if still a 1.

That is, have 16 dice to roll and getting 8 chopped off for modifiers still only takes you from a 99% to a 96% chance of success. Modifying you down to 2 dice still gives you more than a 50% shot.

Some might argue that a person at the peak of his capabilities should never even fail that 1%-4% of the time for a taks, even one that is considered difficult. And in any task check that is opposed, that fail rate will go up, becuase the threshold is the opponents hits for success. There really is no proper answer to that dillema. I prefer DP Caps, because they apply across the board, and are easy to enforce. Limits and constantly moving thresholds just gum up the works, in my opinion.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 10 2013, 01:17 PM) *
Some might argue that a person at the peak of his capabilities should never even fail that 1%-4% of the time for a taks, even one that is considered difficult. And in any task check that is opposed, that fail rate will go up, becuase the threshold is the opponents hits for success. There really is no proper answer to that dillema. I prefer DP Caps, because they apply across the board, and are easy to enforce. Limits and constantly moving thresholds just gum up the works, in my opinion.

Essentially for opposed checks, it's possible that someone is handicapped and has to throw away a number of successes. For example, shooting someone in cover in darkness at long range is much harder than shooting someone standing still in the middle of a brightly lit room at short range. So the more difficult shot is handicapped (higher threshold), so you don't have to go mucking about with adding or subtracting dice from the guy who needs to dodge. I imagine I'd give dodging a burst a threshold as well.

For a truly equal opposed check, no one would throw away any hits, and you'd just compare directly.
Larsine
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 10 2013, 04:40 PM) *
Ahh, right. I didn't dig into SR1. Human Mages started with 400,000¥ and 50 Force points. Metahuman sMages tarted with 20,000¥ and 20 Force points. I forgot how boned metas got in the old system.

I don't know when it was changed but in my 2nd printing mages still gets 400,000¥, but in my 5th printing they have changed it so that "Additlonaly, characters using magic receive only 150,000¥ not 400,000¥ for Tech Priority 3."

That's why some players claim you could at most get 150,000¥ as a human mage.

EDIT: Just checked my third corrected printing (the first softcover SR1), and that where 15,000 for magical active characters show up first.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Epicedion @ Jun 10 2013, 12:28 PM) *
For a truly equal opposed check, no one would throw away any hits, and you'd just compare directly.

Yes...
Bull
QUOTE (Larsine @ Jun 10 2013, 02:52 PM) *
I don't know when it was changed but in my 2nd printing mages still gets 400,000¥, but in my 5th printing they have changed it so that "Additlonaly, characters using magic receive only 150,000¥ not 400,000¥ for Tech Priority 3."

That's why some players claim you could at most get 150,000¥ as a human mage.

EDIT: Just checked my third corrected printing (the first softcover SR1), and that where 15,000 for magical active characters show up first.

Ahh, ok. I have a shiny 1st print hardcover.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012