Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SR5 Preview #3
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
Critias
All of which might be fair complaints, but they have nothing at all to do with what CanRay's talking about (so I'm sorry if I sound defensive, but it seems really bizarre to me that his light-hearted comment, made to poke fun at himself, if anyone, is dredging up this kind of hostility).

His "character development" comment was about a thread right here on this very forum, which quite a few posters took part in. It's not some shadowy reference to secret material we all chortle about behind our sinister NDAs, or a smug joke being told at someone's expense. It was a reference to a thread from, like, five or six weeks ago right here on Dumpshock.
Draco18s
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ May 31 2013, 04:56 PM) *
The printers pdf wouldn't need things like the bookmarks that make it into the pdf version that is sold.

And the pdf version that's sold doesn't need bleeds and cutlines.
Cochise
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 1 2013, 12:06 AM) *
All of which might be fair complaints, but they have nothing at all to do with what CanRay's talking about (so I'm sorry if I sound defensive, but it seems really bizarre to me that his light-hearted comment, made to poke fun at himself, if anyone, is dredging up this kind of hostility).

His "character development" comment was about a thread right here on this very forum, which quite a few posters took part in. It's not some shadowy reference to secret material we all chortle about behind our sinister NDAs, or a smug joke being told at someone's expense. It was a reference to a thread from, like, five or six weeks ago right here on Dumpshock.

~sigh~ I must be speaking some uncomprehensible language again ... or did I mention CanRay's joke (or the thread in question) in particular? Did Samoth do so? No, we both expressed a more general feeling and mine was given as a direct answer to RHat's comment concerning the value of "your" input to him.

Did CanRay receive an unwarranted reaction in said thread? Most likely ...
Does bringing it up in this thread again serve any other purpose than once again raising tensions? A definite "No" from my side.

Temperance
QUOTE (Cochise @ May 31 2013, 01:59 PM) *
In other words: I'd happily wait for that info in form of the final product if that spared me comments that are either totally unfunny or outright annoying to me.

Then skip their posts? Or avoid spoiler threads? Use the ignore function? (Is there an ignore function?)

I don't think they are "hiding behind their NDA". I'm sure if they could spoil more, they probably would. They skirt their NDAs fairly regularly so they can spoil stuff. It's not in their best interests to break their NDAs. It is in their best interests to tease and spoil bits of info because it generates interest. In the gaming community, word of mouth does an awful lot of advertising.[citation needed] I certainly appreciate the bits they drop. It serves to fuel and direct my imagination instead of stifling it.

I'd also much rather that the freelancers and developers joke and stuff on forums. It makes them human and relatable instead of monolithic unfriendly ivory tower "professionals". (Even if I don't get the joke. I sometimes wonder if the sheep does, though.) Dealing with people is a lot easier when I can relate to them. So this is a BIG plus for me.

Finally, I'd like to say I enjoy their posts when they explain their thought processes. (For example, Bull had an awesome post on the Catalyst forums explaining how they settled on the priority system.) Even if I don't agree with their conclusion, being able to see how they got there is much more important. For me, it makes the opaque development process far more understandable. In turn, I learn and learning is awesome. Sounds win/win to me.

But as you said, your mileage may vary.

-Temperance
Critias
QUOTE (Cochise @ May 31 2013, 05:23 PM) *
~sigh~ I must be speaking some uncomprehensible language again ... or did I mention CanRay's joke (or the thread in question) in particular? Did Samoth do so? No, we both expressed a more general feeling and mine was given as a direct answer to RHat's comment concerning the value of "your" input to him.

CanRay made a pithy comment. Someone asked what the comment was about. I said he was referencing a joke. Samoth went off about how freelancers shouldn't make jokes, and probably shouldn't post in these threads at all.

So it may not have been mentioned in particular, but to me (and apparently at least one or two other people) there was a pretty clear line of cause and effect going there. I'm sorry if there were some conversational leaps (or backtracks, or sidesteps) that I missed, but to me, it felt like this whole new thread of "those guys shouldn't make smug jokes and post here and stuff, grr!" came about because of that one comment of Ray's. Instead, I guess, it came totally out of nowhere. Which is...better?

Did CanRay receive an unwarranted reaction in said thread? Most likely ...
Does bringing it up in this thread again serve any other purpose than once again raising tensions? A definite "No" from my side.

Maybe next time Ray says something you don't like, you can use the report button, or PM him about it, or even just talk to him about it (specifically) in a thread, instead of joining in with another poster who's insisting that, essentially, once someone starts to do a little freelancing, they shouldn't be allowed to hang out with everyone else on their old forum any more.

Especially if you're so concerned about conversations not serving any purpose but to raise tensions.
Stahlseele
/me still does not know what the hell is going on here . . .
Critias
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 31 2013, 05:39 PM) *
/me still does not know what the hell is going on here . . .

Don't worry, it sounds increasingly like we're talking about two (or more) different things, with wires crossed, which is no doubt adding to the misunderstanding.
Samoth
QUOTE (Critias @ May 31 2013, 10:37 PM) *
CanRay made a pithy comment. Someone asked what the comment was about. I said he was referencing a joke. Samoth went off about how freelancers shouldn't make jokes, and probably shouldn't post in these threads at all.

So it may not have been mentioned in particular, but to me (and apparently at least one or two other people) there was a pretty clear line of cause and effect going there. I'm sorry if there were some conversational leaps (or backtracks, or sidesteps) that I missed, but to me, it felt like this whole new thread of "those guys shouldn't make smug jokes and post here and stuff, grr!" came about because of that one comment of Ray's. Instead, I guess, it came totally out of nowhere. Which is...better?

Maybe next time Ray says something you don't like, you can use the report button, or PM him about it, or even just talk to him about it (specifically) in a thread, instead of joining in with another poster who's insisting that, essentially, once someone starts to do a little freelancing, they shouldn't be allowed to hang out with everyone else on their old forum any more.

Especially if you're so concerned about conversations not serving any purpose but to raise tensions.

I didn't "go off," and I didn't reference anyone or any comment in particular. You guys may not see it from our side since you've been involved with production of SR5 for a year+ at this point, but we're excited for any scrap of news that trickles down, and the "hehe you'll LOVE this but I can't tell you wink.gif " posts don't help. Of course I appreciate the posts that actually help and provide clarification, but a lot of stuff I see from freelancers is the taunting "I have a secret" stuff. I don't post much here, and it's because of that type of thing which is far too common, but like I said, those who do it probably don't realize it.
Patrick Goodman
So...to drag this back on topic before it spirals even further out of control...how about that preview, eh? I'm told I should pimp my fiction, so...how about "Girls With Guns," eh?

Someone said it was "okay," but I can't recall who. Prime Mover, I think. What kept it to just "okay" for you?
Fatum
I am too stupid to understand the new character generation system, so I can't use it.
Why does the part on choosing metatypes say anything on what special attribute points are, and where they are listed? Why does one have to guess from the examples used whether special attribute advances purchased with the metatype sum up with the ones purchased with Awakening/Emergence? Who won't go for Exceptional Attribute(Magic) or (Resonance)? Does Ambidextrous really cost 4 Karma while an adept Power Point for a mystic adept cost 2?
ravensoracle
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 31 2013, 06:17 PM) *
So...to drag this back on topic before it spirals even further out of control...how about that preview, eh? I'm told I should pimp my fiction, so...how about "Girls With Guns," eh?

Someone said it was "okay," but I can't recall who. Prime Mover, I think. What kept it to just "okay" for you?

I enjoyed it. In fact I am going to go back and reread it here in a few. I liked how it showed more depth than just the next run. The nod to pink mohawk got a laugh out of me.
Crank
QUOTE (Samoth @ May 31 2013, 05:55 PM) *
I didn't "go off," and I didn't reference anyone or any comment in particular. You guys may not see it from our side since you've been involved with production of SR5 for a year+ at this point, but we're excited for any scrap of news that trickles down, and the "hehe you'll LOVE this but I can't tell you wink.gif " posts don't help. Of course I appreciate the posts that actually help and provide clarification, but a lot of stuff I see from freelancers is the taunting "I have a secret" stuff. I don't post much here, and it's because of that type of thing which is far too common, but like I said, those who do it probably don't realize it.

Personally, I'd much rather continue to have them respond to what they can, "hide behind NDA" when they have too and make whatever jokes whenever they want vs for them to say nothing at all.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ May 31 2013, 05:25 PM) *
I enjoyed it. In fact I am going to go back and reread it here in a few. I liked how it showed more depth than just the next run. The nod to pink mohawk got a laugh out of me.

Thanks. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did; I wanted to have at least one piece out there to prove that I can write something without vampires in it.
Bull
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 31 2013, 06:51 PM) *
Thanks. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did; I wanted to have at least one piece out there to prove that I can write something without vampires in it.

Admit it. Everyone in it is a vampire. THey''re just in the closet about their fangs, that's all. smile.gif
Glyph
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 31 2013, 04:21 PM) *
I am too stupid to understand the new character generation system, so I can't use it.
Why does the part on choosing metatypes say anything on what special attribute points are, and where they are listed? Why does one have to guess from the examples used whether special attribute advances purchased with the metatype sum up with the ones purchased with Awakening/Emergence? Who won't go for Exceptional Attribute(Magic) or (Resonance)? Does Ambidextrous really cost 4 Karma while an adept Power Point for a mystic adept cost 2?

The number in parentheses by metatype is the number of special Attribute points you get, and they do sum with the ones you get with Awakening/Emergence (as the technomancer example showed). Just as the skills you get with Awakening/Emergence are in addition to any ones you might get with your skill priority. Exceptional Attribute for Magic or Resonance is indeed a bargain - I don't have many other qualities to compare it too, so some of them may be equally good. The mystic adept's ability to have full mage abilities (minus astral) and buy a full allotment of adept powers does seem a bit too powerful at first glance, but I will reserve judgement until I see the full set of rules.
RHat
At 14 Karma, the Exceptional Attribute quality costs more than half your bonus Karma. Just keep that in mind...
Fatum
QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 1 2013, 06:19 AM) *
The number in parentheses by metatype is the number of special Attribute points you get, and they do sum with the ones you get with Awakening/Emergence (as the technomancer example showed).
But why is neither of this in the actual rules?

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jun 1 2013, 06:19 AM) *
The mystic adept's ability to have full mage abilities (minus astral) and buy a full allotment of adept powers does seem a bit too powerful at first glance, but I will reserve judgement until I see the full set of rules.
I'm okay with mystic adepts being mages, but a PP costing half as much as ambidexterity kinda puzzles.

QUOTE (RHat @ Jun 1 2013, 06:23 AM) *
At 14 Karma, the Exceptional Attribute quality costs more than half your bonus Karma. Just keep that in mind...
Yeah, but how long will it take you to get to attribute 7 otherwise, between initiation/submersion and raising it with karma?
Critias
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 31 2013, 10:04 PM) *

Because you're not seeing the full rules, you're seeing a preview, probably. It's, I dunno, maybe half-or-so of the actual full chargen chapter.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ May 31 2013, 11:44 AM) *
Not everyone min-max's to insane builds. Priority DOES take away freedom. You can't really argue that point. *shrug*

Playing a game with a rules system at all takes away freedom, in the abstract. It's not terribly relevant. nyahnyah.gif
Bull
QUOTE (Fatum @ May 31 2013, 11:04 PM) *

The preview only has about the first 1/3 of the chargen rules. It doesn't cover skills, resources, freebie points and costs, nor most of the Qualities. So there's lots missing. smile.gif
RHat
But the section (or at least A section) on Metatype Priority is there, and it makes a pretty direct reference to consulting the priority table to see how many Special Attribute points you get - it's a little surprising to see the explanation of that notation being excluded from that section.
binarywraith
QUOTE (RHat @ May 31 2013, 11:54 PM) *
But the section (or at least A section) on Metatype Priority is there, and it makes a pretty direct reference to consulting the priority table to see how many Special Attribute points you get - it's a little surprising to see the explanation of that notation being excluded from that section.

It's probably (as in pretty much every other character creation chapter ever published in an RPG) listed later in the chapter in the step of character creation you actually spend them in. wink.gif
Epicedion
QUOTE (StealthSigma @ May 31 2013, 02:33 PM) *
It doesn't take 17 hours to make a character using BP. I can make effective and potent characters in about 3-4 hours and most of that time is spent looking through equipment to find the name and cost of that thing I know exists but I don't memorize.

There are certaily not going to be 120 ways to prioritize a character. There's at least 6 ways to issue priorities where the results are exactly identical to another method of priority. Further, there are combinations that are likely going to be measurably weaker and not worth considering due to metatype/awakened combinations. Finally, various archetypes are going to end up looking stupidly identical thanks to the priority system. A troll street sammy? Almost certainly is goin to be A on metatype, E on awakened, B on resources, C on attributes, and D on skills. Those D skills are all going to be in the same ones with very little variance between characters. If skills are far more valuable then attributes then flip attributes and skills. You're not going to see resources with a D and C are going to be exceedingly rare given the traditional costs of augmentation. If there is a variance on these narrow limits, then they're probably not well meeting their archetype which is a huge mark against priority simply based on how deadly SR5 has been reported to be. Finally, the variance within the priorities due to skill and stat arrangement is going to be extremely narrow in scope. There will be certain attributes that will be needed. There will be certain skills that will be needed. Those are truths that cannot be avoided and those truths will significantly eat away at whatever potential variance might be left.

The fact that the BP system that SR4 implemented was bad has no bearing on the merits of point-buy based systems nor does it magically makes the flaws of the priority or other rigid character creation system disappear. The simple fact is that point buy based systems are much more adept at permitting a player to actualize the character he or she imagines by removing floors and ceilings. Systems like priority introduce entirely arbitrary floors and ceilings which only serve a purpose to be in the player's way. The only players that I can imagine that would actually like priorities are those who hate people who are adept at optimization, and thus seek to penalize them, or have such narrow vision that priority suits it.

Your aside on how "the same" priority selection is pretty much is meaningless. If you want to build an archetype, you're going to build an archetype. They're standard models, which is why they call them "archetypes." If you want to build a variation, you'll be looking at a different priority set with different decisions made with the points in each category. The number of viable Priority builds is going to rival the number of viable Point Buy builds, because Priority isn't that much different, it's just leaner.

Priority is simply not a rigid system. Compare an actual rigid system (ie, D&D) where a single simple choice (character class) automatically fills most of your sheet. Priority still totally allows you to build a weak nerd troll decker or a charismatic weaponsmith dwarf shaman, it just removes the stupidly high-resolution decisions (do I spend 1BP on resources or do I lower my attribute by one and combine that with a lower Awesome Dude quality rating and use the points to increase my social skill group by 1 and add a specialization et cetera) in favor of flatly determining chunks of what your character is focused in and then fine-tuning with the available points in each category. It's really the most effective at separating out the different parts of character building and balancing them against each other.
tasti man LH
And now, some of my own little quibblings, this time mostly around the Sprawl Ganger pre-made sheet.

-Dude's got an awful lot of skills at rank 1...which seems kind of odd for a ganger. I get that the aim might have been to make this guy have as many skills as possible, and I personally do not consider myself to be of the mindset of the optimization guys that frequent DS, but why in the hell would a ganger do with Computer, Throwing Weapons, and Performance? I would rather stick more points into upping Pistols or Automatics (nvm that his highest skill is Intimidation).

-And speaking of which, Performance...I assume this is the new SR5 version of the Artisan skill? Or did Artisan get broken up into several other skills? If it's the latter, then that would make a whole lot of sense, since I did feel like just Artisan was WAY to broad and abstract as it was in SR4, and the potential silliness that someone with Artisan could play the piano, cook gourmet French meals, paint the next great Impressionist art piece, AND sing like a choir of angels.

-Wee error regarding the Physical CM for our ganger, as well as for one of the qualities listed: it lists his CM as being 13, but if we take the formula for deriving it (I'm going to go ahead and assume that it'll be the same for SR5) of (Body/2) + 8 (round up), which in this case is (7/2) + 8, that would mean it would come out as 12, not 13.

I THINK what was supposed to happen is that he was supposed to have the Tough as Nails 1 quality, which would have given him that extra +1 box to his CM...but it's not there. Or, more likely, someone got it mixed up with the Guts quality. And all that does (in SR4) is give the character a bonus to resist Intimidation or Fear-based attacks. So unless if Tough as Nails is now called Guts.....don't think so.

-The damage code for the Sprawl Ganger's weapons are...well, scaring me. A lot:

-Colt America L36 [Light Pistol, Acc 7, DV 7P, AP —, SA, RC —, 11©, w/ concealed holster, 2 spare clips, 110 rounds of regular ammo]

-Combat axe [Blade, Reach 2, Acc 4, DV 12P, AP –4]

-Extendable baton [Club, Reach 1, Acc 5, DV 7S, AP —]

-Knife [Blade, Reach —, Acc 5, DV 7P, AP –1]

-Ruger Super Warhawk [Heavy Pistol, Acc 5, DV 9P, AP –2, SS, RC —, 6(cy), w/ 2 speed loaders, 60 rounds regular ammo]

-Streetline Special [Hold-out, Acc 4, DV 6P, AP —, SA, RC —, w/concealed history, 30 rounds regular ammo]

I mean...by the Nine, that's a little bit much!

An SR5 Warhawk can do a base amount of 9P? And with AP -2? That's more than what a base SR4 PJSS Elephant Rifle could do, outside of how the Rifle can hit from farther away than the Warhawk without incurring Range Modifiers!

I'm going to assume this is what the very first announcement meant when they promised for SR5 to be "more lethal"...and if it meant upping the DV of each weapon, that is...not really the way to go. Now it could just be that the Damage Resistance rules might work differently in SR5 to address this, but even then, with most characters averaging at about 10-11P CM, now the likeliehood of a character dying (NPCs, and PCs) in one shot just went up a lot. And honestly? At least at my table, SR4 was still lethal as hell as it was. I would see it happen a lot where characters would die in 1-2 shots. I constantly stressed to my players that in SR, you REALLY really didn't want to get hit with bullets, since there's a good chance you could die in just one attack. But, there was still that leeway where characters can make it out with a bunch of dings and scratches (and damaged 'ware), but still be alive. Here though.....well, it's gonna kind of suck if it's going to be even more likely for starting characters to die on their first run.

-And then there's the fact that: this is the Damage Code for JUST Pistols! If the DV for Pistols are going to be this devastating, what the hell are assault rifles, shotguns, and sniper rifles going to have?

Otherwise, going one-on-one with a GD suddenly got a lot more plausible...

-Last issue that I'll bring up, and this is actually something that has bugged me with all three previews, is that there seems to be a disconnect with the artwork and the text of the previews.

Now, don't get me wrong, the actual artwork is fine and I really really dig the style of it and hope to see the rest of it when I have the book in my hands...but some of it just doesn't really match with the text that's right next to it.

This has been more glaring to me with the artwork preceding the short fiction. In this preview, in "Girls with Guns", our main hero Frank is described as male dwarf (I'd wager in the 40's-60's age range). And that the bulk of the action in the story takes place at a diner, where Frank is fighting off some gangers. The artwork that accompanies this does not reflect this. At all. Instead, it looks like we've got five random shadowrunner-looking people, fighting it out in what seems to be a strip mall. No diner, no old looking dwarf trying to fight off a couple of gangers. Da hell?

Similar problem in the first preview: the artwork for Another Night, Another Run, who are supposed to be about the runners that are going to be on the front cover, and who, according to the fiction presented, are going on a run against an Ares facility when drek hits the fan. Yet the artwork that accompanies this reflects none of that. Instead we get a troll firing a Panther (...ok, this aspect WAS in the fiction, but this one isn't being backed up by Ares Security) at a rogue spirit, being backed up by his male elf spellcaster buddy. In what looks like a dirty alley way. Certainly not the rooftop of a an Ares facility. Now I THINK this is actually supposed to go with the intro chapter of this section, since it mentions about what you would do if a malevolent spirit just sprung up from the ground in front of you, but what's it doing with the fiction and not the section of the book that it's supposed to be in?

Also, the gun that the Sprawl Ganger is carrying...that is not any of the guns that his sheet has in his gear section. That gun is the freakin' Barrens Special from Gun Heaven 2.

I'm starting to get a bit worried if the artists making these pieces had no idea what section of the book they were making them for, or had no context to the text that the artwork was supposed to be accompanied with.
Critias
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Jun 1 2013, 12:49 AM) *
-Dude's got an awful lot of skills at rank 1...which seems kind of odd for a ganger. I get that the aim might have been to make this guy have as many skills as possible, and I personally do not consider myself to be of the mindset of the optimization guys that frequent DS, but why in the hell would a ganger do with Computer, Throwing Weapons, and Performance? I would rather stick more points into upping Pistols or Automatics (nvm that his highest skill is Intimidation).

Realistically, an awful lot of people should have Computer at 1 (so they don't fumble around with their commlink like a dummy). Throwing Weapons 1 seems like a likely skill for a ganger to pick up, because, well, throwing things is cool? I mean, he can whip a knife at a dude, not totally botch if he lucks into some grenades, whatever. It's a 1! It basically just means he's not all thumbs when it comes to tossing something (hell, maybe he just likes basketball). And Performance 1 could just mean he idles away his time on a street corner spittin' rhymes or doing stand-up for his buddies or something.

Is it so weird that a character picks up a couple of 1s in the course of growing up in the Barrens and stuff? He knows the basics about how to take care of his weapons, he's able to fumble through picking a lock and lies and some other unsavory skills, he's fired automatics a few times but is better with a pistol, he's got a little luck at putting stuff together (including people)...he's not an archetype I worked on, so it's certainly possible I'm totally making my own assumptions, but to me it just seems like a guy that's stumbled across "I'm not awesome at this, but I've done it a few times successfully" on a lot of skills, from growing up where and how he did.

-Wee error regarding the Physical CM for our ganger, as well as for one of the qualities listed: it lists his CM as being 13, but if we take the formula for deriving it (I'm going to go ahead and assume that it'll be the same for SR5) of (Body/2) + 8 (round up), which in this case is (7/2) + 8, that would mean it would come out as 12, not 13.

I THINK what was supposed to happen is that he was supposed to have the Tough as Nails 1 quality, which would have given him that extra +1 box to his CM...but it's not there. Or, more likely, someone got it mixed up with the Guts quality. And all that does (in SR4) is give the character a bonus to resist Intimidation or Fear-based attacks. So unless if Tough as Nails is now called Guts.....don't think so.

Worry not! It is not an error, and it's not a change in Tough as Nails or Guts. There is something else on his character sheet making it happen, but blah blah blah NDA probably not allowed to say and I don't want to lose my job (especially this year). I'll just say "no, it's not an error," and hopefully that makes you feel better about the ugly bastard. smile.gif

Similar problem in the first preview: the artwork for Another Night, Another Run, who are supposed to be about the runners that are going to be on the front cover, and who, according to the fiction presented, are going on a run against an Ares facility when drek hits the fan. Yet the artwork that accompanies this reflects none of that. Instead we get a troll firing a Panther (...ok, this aspect WAS in the fiction, but this one isn't being backed up by Ares Security) at a rogue spirit, being backed up by his male elf spellcaster buddy. In what looks like a dirty alley way. Certainly not the rooftop of a an Ares facility. Now I THINK this is actually supposed to go with the intro chapter of this section, since it mentions about what you would do if a malevolent spirit just sprung up from the ground in front of you, but what's it doing with the fiction and not the section of the book that it's supposed to be in?

The artwork that "Another Night, Another Run" corresponds to is the cover itself of SR5, and I think you'll find it matches up pretty well. The interior artwork is there largely for spacing issues, and because, well, there was some cool artwork lying around.

ETA (more explanation, to hopefully make some sense): And, not for nothin', but I think your core assumption is kind of backwards. Most of the time (especially recently), it's been a matter of us writing a story (or building a character) to match some artwork (or more often, some art notes). The freelancer writing something and the freelancer drawing something aren't a duo working side-by-side on a comic (more's the pity), we're folks who will probably never ever talk directly to one another, both with folks above our pay grade doing the communicating, as one of our bosses writes art notes and his boss relays them to him, etc, etc. So sometimes you take a few liberties to try and get it all to match up, sometimes you buy gear and just figure "well, one shitty cheap pistol is as good as another" because you make due with what you've got stats for, etc, etc.

We don't write short fiction and then have some artist read it for inspiration. It's far more normal to pitch an idea for a story, have someone approve it and write up art notes, relay art notes to the art director, art director relays them to an artist, yadda yadda yadda. Then the final versions both get submitted (from different people and TO different people), and you make what edits (and so does the artist, hopefully) to try and make things match up.

End of the day, getting what so many people call "fluff" to match up with what so many people call "pretty pictures" isn't, and can't be, the top priority of putting together a sourcebook. Unfortunately. wink.gif
RHat
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ May 31 2013, 11:49 PM) *
-Dude's got an awful lot of skills at rank 1...which seems kind of odd for a ganger. I get that the aim might have been to make this guy have as many skills as possible, and I personally do not consider myself to be of the mindset of the optimization guys that frequent DS, but why in the hell would a ganger do with Computer, Throwing Weapons, and Performance?

Use his commlink, throw things, and play his guitar?

He's a ganger, sure, but that doesn't mean that every single skill he's going to have will relate to being a ganger.
Dyspeptic
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 1 2013, 02:14 AM) *
Worry not! It is not an error, and it's not a change in Tough as Nails or Guts. There is something else on his character sheet making it happen, but blah blah blah NDA probably not allowed to say and I don't want to lose my job (especially this year). I'll just say "no, it's not an error," and hopefully that makes you feel better about the ugly bastard. smile.gif

I'm not sure why you can't say... Cyberlimbs have provided an extra box on the Physical Condition Monitor for a while now...

Not being snarky, just doesn't seem like something that would fall under the NDA, since it's *not* a change.

On another note, other typos notwithstanding, that Ganger is starting with an *enormous* amount of money. I think his starting nuyen is supposed to be 1500 plus (3D6 x 60), not 1500 x (3D6 x 60).
Critias
QUOTE (Dyspeptic @ Jun 1 2013, 03:03 AM) *
I'm not sure why you can't say... Cyberlimbs have provided an extra box on the Physical Condition Monitor for a while now...

Not being snarky, just doesn't seem like something that would fall under the NDA, since it's *not* a change.

Because we all got a Very Special Message at GenCon last year as a reminder that NDAs loom over our heads like an executioner's axe, and I just got kind of gunshy, mostly. wink.gif I've been working on SR5 characters, playtesting, etc, for so long that to be honest I didn't remember (off the top of my head, at 3:00 in the morning) whether it was the rule in the current edition or if I was blurring things from my memory, so I defaulted to "don't say too much, THEY WILL KILL YOU."

Thanks for the confirmation, though, and, yes, for outright stating where the +1 box comes from.
Dyspeptic
QUOTE (Seerow @ May 31 2013, 08:10 AM) *
Another thing that concerned me: The 'extra' karma-to-nuyen conversion. 2500 nuyen per karma. Okay that's pretty standard. But it's still 2500 nuyen per karma at street level, you can just spend less karma. It's still 2500 nuyen at prime runner level, you can just spend more karma. I was really hoping to see a nod here to higher level characters need a better karma:money ratio.

I agree that I'd have rather seen the ratio changed than the amount of Karma you can spend on cash adjusted, but I'm not going to sweat over it. Just one small correction, though. It looks like the ratio is 1 karma to 2000 nuyen now, not 2500 as in the past.

With such a large spread in the priority allocated nuyen and the karma purchased nuyen dropping, I'm wondering where the gear prices have gone. It'll be interesting to see.
Glyph
I like that the character has a few rating: 1 skills to represent things like maybe picking a few locks or patching up a buddy a few times. One thing to keep in mind is that characters get that karma to round out character creation, and that is probably where a lot of the low-rated skills come from (in other words, he wasn't getting a skill of 1 when he could have improved a skill of 3 to 4 instead).
Dyspeptic
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 1 2013, 03:11 AM) *
Because we all got a Very Special Message at GenCon last year as a reminder that NDAs loom over our heads like an executioner's axe, and I just got kind of gunshy, mostly. wink.gif I've been working on SR5 characters, playtesting, etc, for so long that to be honest I didn't remember (off the top of my head, at 3:00 in the morning) whether it was the rule in the current edition or if I was blurring things from my memory, so I defaulted to "don't say too much, THEY WILL KILL YOU."

Thanks for the confirmation, though, and, yes, for outright stating where the +1 box comes from.

No worries, I really do understand being gunshy, I guess. They say when you have a job you love, you never have to work, and I sure wouldn't risk it, either. You just had me worried for a moment that it *wasn't* the cyberlimb, and it was coming from some other change.
Critias
QUOTE (Dyspeptic @ Jun 1 2013, 02:26 AM) *
With such a large spread in the priority allocated nuyen and the karma purchased nuyen dropping, I'm wondering where the gear prices have gone. It'll be interesting to see.

Some've gone up, some've gone down, some're all new (like the new generation of cyberdecks). I'm still not 100% on-board with every single price for every single piece of gear, but...all in all I like where some of us compromised after a few knife-fights behind the scenes. wink.gif

I'm knee-deep in making some characters right now, and while money invariably feels a little tight I'm not finding myself unable to fit gear to concepts, personally. I've been able to put together the character I wanted to put together, even with some of them being very, very, gear-heavy (sammies and riggers and whatnot). I've always got the feeling I'd love more money, mind you, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast (and it means I'd be eager to sling dice and collect some nuyen, were I actually playing these characters).
Temperance
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 31 2013, 04:17 PM) *

I liked it. Specifically, I liked the interactions between the runner and his fixer (?), the runner and the girl, and the runner and the general populace. I think the whole piece captured the essence of the setting and the dystopia, while still playing on a sense of familiarity without it feeling clichéd. As the chapter intro for character creation it's brilliant. The story gives a nice intro into how someone got into running in the first place.

The combat scene was meh, but that's my overall irritation with combat from first person storytelling. I just plain prefer third person for physical conflict.

That all said, I give it two thumbs up. I'd it read again and recommend it to folks who like Shadowrun short stories.

-Temperance
Fatum
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 1 2013, 08:01 AM) *
Because you're not seeing the full rules, you're seeing a preview, probably. It's, I dunno, maybe half-or-so of the actual full chargen chapter.
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 1 2013, 08:39 AM) *
The preview only has about the first 1/3 of the chargen rules. It doesn't cover skills, resources, freebie points and costs, nor most of the Qualities. So there's lots missing. smile.gif
So the rules text seen in the preview is not the one that we'll see in the finished book? Okaaaaaay, I guess.
KarmaInferno
They never promised the full chargen chapter. It's a 'preview', designed to give a peek, not give away all the goods.

-k
Fatum
There is a difference between revealing only a small part of what will be in the final product and revealing a text that will not be in the final product at all.
KarmaInferno
Given the timeframe to put together the preview, they were likely assembled from whatever drafts of the 5E corebook that were available at the time they started, so it's possible the text has been updated or revised since then. This can happen if you are on a tight schedule and can't wait for the product to be finalized before generating promotional material.

In addition, the missing info you were looking might simply be in a different part of the chapter, that we haven't seen.

Or... the info might actually be in there. I went back through the preview PDF:

Why does the part on choosing metatypes say anything on what special attribute points are, and where they are listed?
Page 65:
"The special attributes are Edge, Magic, and Resonance; if you want your character to have a high rating in one or more of these areas, make sure you select a row with plenty of special attribute points."

Page 66:
"Special attribute points may be spent entirely on Edge if the player chooses not to play a magic user or a technomancer, or they may split these points as they see fit between their Edge and Magic or Resonance attribute ratings if the player so chooses. These Special Attribute Points may only be allocated on Special Attributes. They may never be used to raise Mental or Physical attributes. Any unspent Special Attribute points disappear following the character creation process."

From the chargen examples on page 67:
"James thinks the human metatype is best suited to the role of technomancer, and he has decided to use row D in the Metatype column. As a human character, he receives 3 Special Attribute Points that he wants to spend on Edge and Resonance."

"Rob has decided to build a troll street samurai and has chosen Priority B for his metatype, even though this priority level does not give any Special Attribute Points to a troll character."

Why does one have to guess from the examples used whether special attribute advances purchased with the metatype sum up with the ones purchased with Awakening/Emergence?
Page 70:
"Row E has no Resonance options, so James rules that one out and chooses Priority Level B. This gives him a Resonance Attribute Rating of 4 (which is added to the 2 Special Attribute Points he dedicated to Resonance in Step Two)"

I will agree this could have been made more explicit in the rules text, instead of just appearing in the example.

Additionally, I would have reserved the actual spending of Special Attribute Points til after Step Three, since you don't know if you're going to HAVE a Magic or Resonance attribute til then. Or can you possibly have Magic or Resonance attribute despite being a non-Awakened character? Unclear.

Who won't go for Exceptional Attribute(Magic) or (Resonance)?

Anyone who wasn't already planning on maxing their Magic or Resonance score I guess. People do such things.

Does Ambidextrous really cost 4 Karma while an adept Power Point for a mystic adept cost 2?

Unclear, since the full adept ability section wasn't included in the preview.

-k
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Jun 1 2013, 12:49 AM) *

An SR5 Warhawk can do a base amount of 9P? And with AP -2? That's more than what a base SR4 PJSS Elephant Rifle could do, outside of how the Rifle can hit from farther away than the Warhawk without incurring Range Modifiers!

You might notice that Armor got cranked up as well. There was a lot going on behind the scenes. I still don't quite agree with the damage codes, but I made my case and the decision wasn't mine. But yeah, combat is brutal. In some cases, with my ideas, it might have been worse, so the world is probably better off.
-Last issue that I'll bring up, and this is actually something that has bugged me with all three previews, is that there seems to be a disconnect with the artwork and the text of the previews.

Now, don't get me wrong, the actual artwork is fine and I really really dig the style of it and hope to see the rest of it when I have the book in my hands...but some of it just doesn't really match with the text that's right next to it.

This has been more glaring to me with the artwork preceding the short fiction. In this preview, in "Girls with Guns", our main hero Frank is described as male dwarf (I'd wager in the 40's-60's age range). And that the bulk of the action in the story takes place at a diner, where Frank is fighting off some gangers. The artwork that accompanies this does not reflect this. At all. Instead, it looks like we've got five random shadowrunner-looking people, fighting it out in what seems to be a strip mall. No diner, no old looking dwarf trying to fight off a couple of gangers. Da hell?

Critias already covered most of this, but I'm going to add my two cents anyway.

For "Girls With Guns," I was given a short chunk of art notes (which, amazingly enough, pretty accurately describe the art that got included with the story; the artist did a knockout job there) and told, "Here's the art notes; build a story around this."

I had no idea what the image was going to look like; I had an idea in my head, but never saw a blocked-out sketch or anything of the sort. So I made a conscious decision not to have that particular scene in the story, since I wouldn't be able to match it. I included all the elements: the Predator IV lying on the ground, the dwarf girl, the gangers. I strongly implied that she dove for the pistol, but I made the choice not to show that actually happening.

Frank is a male dwarf, about 30 and prematurely gray; the ganger who accosts him is about 16, I'm guessing, but that hardly matters. Frank looked old to him, but that's a perceptual issue. The art notes specified a dwarf girl (who I turned into a panhandler) diving for an Ares Predator IV while random gangers tore things up. I'd have to go back and look, but I think it did mention a restaurant. The diner was my choice. Shifting the action away from the dwarf girl for most of the story was also my choice, since I knew GwG would be going in front of character generation; I wanted to make the story about someone new getting into shadow work, and how that sometimes happens by accident.

I did not ever actually see the image until well after the story was turned in; I was singularly impressed that the artist and I had gotten as close to each other's ideas as we did without actually ever collaborating. He had a little higher-end restaurant/foyer thing going on than I did; maybe he saw this going down at the food court or something in a mall, as you said. The point, though, is that he had no idea what was in the story and I had no idea what was in the art. Would it have been cool to have that kind of collaboration? Yeah, but it wouldn't be at all practical.

I'm starting to get a bit worried if the artists making these pieces had no idea what section of the book they were making them for, or had no context to the text that the artwork was supposed to be accompanied with.

Well, you can stop worrying. They frequently don't have any clue where the things are going. And we as writers typically have no idea what the art's going to look like, either. It's just the nature of the biz.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Temperance @ Jun 1 2013, 03:05 AM) *
I liked it. Specifically, I liked the interactions between the runner and his fixer (?), the runner and the girl, and the runner and the general populace. I think the whole piece captured the essence of the setting and the dystopia, while still playing on a sense of familiarity without it feeling clichéd. As the chapter intro for character creation it's brilliant. The story gives a nice intro into how someone got into running in the first place.

That's what I was going for. Awesome! I'm glad it worked for you.
The combat scene was meh, but that's my overall irritation with combat from first person storytelling. I just plain prefer third person for physical conflict.

The combat was secondary or tertiary to the rest of the story anyway, and it was never meant to be all that impressive, so I can live with this.

Glad you enjoyed it.
Bull
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 1 2013, 08:15 AM) *
So the rules text seen in the preview is not the one that we'll see in the finished book? Okaaaaaay, I guess.

THose are the exact pages you're see in release. However, the Character Creation CHapter is 30 pages long. The preview is only the first 10 pages or that or so.

QUOTE (Fatum @ Jun 1 2013, 08:36 AM) *
There is a difference between revealing only a small part of what will be in the final product and revealing a text that will not be in the final product at all.

What about the word "preview" don't you understand? No one said it wasn't going to be in the final product, just that it wasn't the complete final product.

Next time, I'm telling Jason not to bother with all this, and just treat everyone like a Mushroom until the book is released. Nothing but headaches.
Samoth
I'm interested in seeing how cyberlimbs work. The ganger example has a cyberarm that doesn't list any attribute mods, so will we finally logically have cyberarms that automatically match your PC's stats with the option to install upgrades above your racial max?
Prime Mover
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ May 31 2013, 06:17 PM) *

Actually said "decent". That wasn't meant to be a slight or a poor review. For a chapter opener on character creation it was a good example of an origin story. I love vignettes as flavor setters and this one succeeded.
Nal0n
Patrick, just re-read the story And I have to say that I, too, like it!
Especially the "need some reality-check from time to time"-angle and the hidden reference to Hudson Hawk (that was intended, was it not? wink.gif)
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Prime Mover @ Jun 1 2013, 09:28 AM) *
Actually said "decent". That wasn't meant to be a slight or a poor review. For a chapter opener on character creation it was a good example of an origin story. I love vignettes as flavor setters and this one succeeded.

I misread, then. Glad you enjoyed it.

QUOTE (Nal0n @ Jun 1 2013, 09:32 AM) *
Patrick, just re-read the story And I have to say that I, too, like it!
Especially the "need some reality-check from time to time"-angle and the hidden reference to Hudson Hawk (that was intended, was it not? wink.gif)

Which one?
Nal0n
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 1 2013, 05:39 PM) *
Which one?

"All I wanted was a goddamn omelet." instantly reminded me of Hudson Hawk saying " I didn't want to do it. All I wanted was a cappuccino." (00:21:40) wink.gif
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Nal0n @ Jun 1 2013, 09:45 AM) *
"All I wanted was a goddamn omelet." instantly reminded me of Hudson Hawk saying " I didn't want to do it. All I wanted was a cappuccino." (00:21:40) wink.gif

I was going for that kind of feel, but it wasn't a conscious nod to Hudson Hawk, no. Most of my cultural references get smashed by Jason (he's good at that sorta thing), so I've stopped trying so hard, but any time I can get a Bruce Willis feel to something I write, I'll take it. I did get a mild Terminator reference into "Sleeping With the Enemy," which I enjoyed immensely.
Fatum
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 1 2013, 06:52 PM) *
THose are the exact pages you're see in release. However, the Character Creation CHapter is 30 pages long. The preview is only the first 10 pages or that or so.
What about the word "preview" don't you understand? No one said it wasn't going to be in the final product, just that it wasn't the complete final product.
Next time, I'm telling Jason not to bother with all this, and just treat everyone like a Mushroom until the book is released. Nothing but headaches.
If those are the same pages that are going to be in the release, how in the world is the chargen chapter not being in the preview fully an excuse not to state the rules in the relevant rules sections? Or for using the terms (like "qualities" in that example on p.64) not previously defined in the text?
Seerow
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 1 2013, 02:52 PM) *

If those are the exact pages we'll see in the release, how does that work with the things that were pointed out as mistakes (Dwarves losing thermo vision, trolls paying extra for cyber/bio). Are these just things we're going to have to wait for a never-coming errata for? I was under the impression that they were things that made it into this preview, but not the final release, but this statement seems to indicate otherwise.
Shinobi Killfist
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Jun 1 2013, 02:49 AM) *

I

Keep in mind Armor values spiked by 50% and there is a 2 stat defense system and less bonus dice on the to hit side.There will be a lot more clean misses and hits with a net hit or 2. I don't expect to see the pcs missing all that often but security guard bob with 5 agility 4 pistols shooting at the 7 reaction 5 intuition street sam will miss a bunch. Give that sam 5 body and 12 armor and he takes 5 DV off that ruger shot. If form fittihng is in or in soon take another 2ish boxes offf and it looks like SR4 damage to me. Though a standard HP is 8DV-2AP, so no one will use the warhawk outside of style. I'd of put the ruger closer to a rifles damage of 11DV so people have a real choice between single shot massive damage or 2 shots with good damage. Assuming(SA and SS) mean the same things. The big damage spike seems to be melee. 12DV on a 7Str for the combat axe? I assume Str+5 no 1/2 str stuff anymore. Kind of absurd with a beefed up Troll, it becomes instant inescapable death on a hit. Here soak 20DV-4AP on a grancing blow.
Bigity
I've decided to give this edition a try, but my question is this: Will there be another 2050-era sourcebook at some point?

I want to support SR, but I don't want to play in this current timeline quite frankly. Or will the rules be a little more compatable with playing that era out of the box? (with mages vs shaman again, decking making some kind of return, etc)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012