Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Mafia Affair
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Dashifen
I'll be starting a new game on the forum shortly and I'm looking for 4 characters for it. I'm looking for people who can handle a post a day or there abouts, since I frequently lurk the forums from work and can replay with some alacrity. The generation system is BeCKS v2.0 in the NSRCG. Be sure to download the most recent version of NSRCG since mcmackie (notworthy.gif ) has fixed a few bugs in BeCKS (specifically shapeshifters and martial arts) recently. The starting karma is 425. Max availability/rating is 8/6 just like normal, although exceptions will be
made on a case-by-case basis.

No Riggers or Rigging. I just don't know the rules. Other than that, only other restriction is no ghouls, vampires, etc.

Here's a weird one: cultured bioware is available at chargen if and only if it is always cultured (i.e. cerebral booster). However, cultured versions of standard bioware are not allowed (so you pay the full bioindex cost, effectively).

The characters in the team will have worked together before, maybe once or twice, and have a moderate to good reputation for professionalism and success on the streets. Therefore, I'd like avoid any intra-character competition/violence because it sucks All skills are open and I love people who make their own skills as well.

Everyone gets one free L1 contact from me: Jimmy the Fish. He's a local fixer that you guys worked through in the past. He knows your rep and he knows you're style and he's been helpful to you in the past. He's a human male, about 35 and frequents a bar named the Rose.

The location for this run is not Seattle, just because I don't know the Seattle area. The location will be the Allentown-Easton-Bethlehem area of Pennsylvania, UCAS. I'm not sure of the actual Shadowrun timeline (from the meta-plot) but it's before YotC so no surge. The run might go as far south as Philly or north to New York City, and since I lack much of the canon material on this area (if there is any), I'll probably be contradicting things in it, but that's okay in my book.

The run might branch out to more if the characters playing want to continue. If a sub-set of the characters want to continue, then I'll open up applications for new group members if I think it's necessary.

If there are any other questions, just post them below. Character selection is subjective, so do your best work wink.gif

Edit: Clicked the add reply rather than preview button. Added the rest of the necessary info.

-- Dashifen --
Cursedsoul
I might be interested. I have to decide if two runs + one IRL + Magic the Gathering is going to slaughter my school work quality. I doubt it.
TinkerGnome
Hmm... interesting... time to learn BeCKs, I guess.

[edit2] BeCKs is a headache waiting to happen wink.gif What's the method of submission you want?[/edit2]
phelious fogg
You can count me in.
Dashifen
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Oct 13 2003, 01:37 PM)
Hmm... interesting... time to learn BeCKs, I guess.

[edit2] BeCKs is a headache waiting to happen wink.gif What's the method of submission you want?[/edit2]

Send characters to djg7 (at) lehigh.edu.

BeCKS isn't that bad. In fact, I found that most people who don't know other systems understand things better through BeCKS than through the other systems. The hard part is getting people who know the other systems to use BeCKS .........
Kurb
I want in. Where do I send the character? <- OOPS didn't read the post correctly.
TinkerGnome
Yeah, after mucking with it for a bit, I can see why. It doesn't help that the archtypes don't exactly fit BeCKs. I'm making a mage which I'll send you later tonight or tomorrow.
Grey
If there is still room, I'd lve to join in.
Dashifen
List stands at fogg, TinkerGnome, Grey, and Kurb. Haven't received any characters, yet, though (could be held up in the internet, though).

-- Dash --
Grey
I'll have mine to you later today or at the latest tomorrow afternoon.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Kurb)
I want in. Where do I send the character? <- OOPS didn't read the post correctly.

Active reading my friend biggrin.gif wink.gif
TinkerGnome
BeCKS is hard to get used to... but I sent a character in, anyway smile.gif
Dashifen
QUOTE (TinkerGnome @ Oct 14 2003, 09:06 AM)
BeCKS is hard to get used to... but I sent a character in, anyway smile.gif

Mojo looks good -- one down, three to go. Hold off on posting information about individual characters until we get the group together, then we'll all post backgrounds about the characters. And you guys can discuss anything about roles in the group shoudl you so desire. Remember: the group has worked together before, so it would make sense to have some type of group tactics if you want to.

-- Dash --
phelious fogg
I sent mine to you just now
Grey
I just sent you my character sheet. Let me know what you think.
Bira
I'd like to participate, tough I don't have access my files right now. Expect something in about three hours.

Just another question... the character's themselves don't have to be mafiosi, right?
Dashifen
No, the characters need not have any connection to the Mafia. That was my purpose for providing Jimmy the Fish as a L1 contact. He's the go-between for the Mafia. If you want a character with Mafia ties, there's no problem there --- could be interesting if you're in a different Family, though ....... vegm.gif

Dashifen
I have four characters now in my inbox:

1) Akuma
2) Mojo
3) Rowan
4) Alice

I know Mojo was TinkerGnome, but who sent in the other ones (so I can connect Dumpshock IDs with the character names). I'll review all of the characters tomorrow and send respective players any comments/corrections/questions/concerns about them. Right now, I'd say we have our team barring any problems with the character sheets.

-- Dashifen --
phelious fogg
Im Rowan, muahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha *cough cough* *gasp*
TinkerGnome
Mojo is mine smile.gif
Grey
I guess that would make me Akuma. wink.gif
Kurb
Well I guess it goes without saying who's mine....
Dashifen
Sweet ... now I know who is who -- I'll review characters and send you personal messages on the board if there are comments/etc. I left all of your email addresses at home when I went to work. Hey! at least I remembered the character files wink.gif

-- Dash (who probably shouldn't be doing this from work -- grinbig.gif )
Dashifen
Okay,

I sent each of you a PM with any comments I have about your characters. Now, I think you should all introduce your characters to each other so that you have an idea of the range of skills you each have.

The big thing that I noticed is the lack of a decker, so I asked my housemate to quick make a character. He goes by Elfie and should probably join in shortly. He'll be a member of the team. Kinda shitty of my to use my RL players for the on-board game, I suppose, but we could use the practice wink.gif

And now, I'll introduce myself. My RL name is Dave, so if I ever sign off a PM with that you'll know who it is (Dash and Dave are far to similar ... should have thought of that). I've been running RL shadowrun games for about 1.5 years and I've been playing for 4. I think I have a pretty good understanding of the rules. What I'm hoping to do is use this game to solidify some of the things that are unclear to me because I can look up the thigns that I'm unsure of in between posts instead of having 8 seconds in RL gaming to make a choice and keep the game moving! If there's anything that I do that confuses you or you think I've broken a rule, send me a PM and I'll check it out.

I like to see where a story goes without railroading you guys into any one set of events. As such, I often improvise and just make a note of the change. I do my best to avoid glaring inconsistencies, but, again, if I foul up, just say something in a PM or in the OOC thread.

I don't run with too many of the optional rules. I do run with over-damage to help people stay alive a little better, but I have one house rule to over-damage: if an attack is staged "past deadly" in one hit (like a 9M shot from a heavy pistol with 6 net successes) then this shot can kill a person in one shot barring successes on the Body(9) test. This accounts for a luck shot, a neck wound in melee, etc. If you get a D wound (not over D) then overdamage optional rules are as normal. I just never liked how the overdamage rules often made it impossible to kill someone in one shot.

I'll be runnng some dice rolling behind the scenes -- especially for perception tests. In RL, I often farm out perception tests to my players when I need the whole team to check on something. On the boards, I'll do some of that myself. If there's something that I want only one person to notice, then I might send a PM to you rather than post it on the OOC thread. Watch both places for information.

I think that's about all I have to say right now. I'll let you guys discuss any character bits you all need to and we'll get Elfie (the Decker) up an into this thread and then we'll be ready to go. I need to draw up my final plans now that I know who all is in the game and make some notes and then I'll get the IC thread up. It'll be called IC: the Mafia Affair so that I doesn't get confused with this one.

-- Dash --
Shadow
Dash, is the house full?
Elfie
Hey all,

So Dash mentioned there was no decker, and I've always wanted to give online RPG playing a shot, so I'm working on a decker for the group. Should have one up shortly. Sounds like it should be fun biggrin.gif

-Elfie (Chris)
Grey
Akuma

Not much is known of The Demon or where he came from. He appeared on the east coast scene about a year ago taking on just about any type of work that fit his skill set, though most it was wetwork. Physically, he is fairly unimpressive and bland, most people wouldn't know him if they saw him. He is japanese, about 5'10", and has an athletic build. Those who do know him, know not to cross him, for he always repays any wrong done to him.

He has the fastest reflexes around, is deadly in a firefight with both pistols and rifles, and can still hold his own in melee with the use of Kung Fu and his katana. He is a master at Stealth and handy with electronics.

TinkerGnome
Mojo

You probably know the kind. Hanging around outside seedy bars they think are dens of villany talkin' about how they're the baddest runners in the shadows. You've seen them. Hell, they're even big money to someone who markets authentic "ShadowWear" to the mindless chipheads. Well, Mojo looks like one of those street punks and talks like one, too. He certainly tries to act slicker than most orks most people meet on the street.

The only thing is, he appears to know what he's doing, though word is that he might just be a little off of his rocker. One rumor flying around the street is that he did a job not long back for the first season of "Whose Swag is This?" on vidchip. He knows his way around the magic better than most, and isn't too bad with a handgun or stealth, either.
phelious fogg
Rowan

There are rumors about her. Not many, she is new to the area. You might think she is in the Mafia's pocket, if you played the game. You might even think they were saving her for something, but you wouldn't know what. You just know she is muscle, at least for an elf her size.

If you met her though, you wouldnt even know she lived in shadow, and the world around her fills with light. The hard life of the shadows hasnt touched her it seems. Luck and Vibrance surround her, and you can't but think shes going to need it.
Kurb
Alice

At first glance at her she might intimidate you just a little. She has that commanding presence, which she doesn't even have to try for. She's as beautful and tough as a human woman can be. She knows her way around the streets, but her name seems familiar with that team that just ran against Novatech. She carries a rather large shotgun, which you can tell she knows how to use. Not to mention the pistol she carries. Once you see it, just hope you're on her side.

You might have also seen her on the corner of the Redmond Barrens if you ever cruise that way, but she hasn't done that work for awhile. She's very friendly though, which contradicts her intimidating figure.
Elfie
Lex

Normally, you'd think the denizens of the Matrix to be an anti-social bunch with a severe allergy to crowds. Not Lex. You'll find him wherever there's a gathering. Get lost in a conversation with him, and you could find yourself the brand new owner of a bridge (and a coupla' thousand Nuyen lighter), or at the losing end of a game of chance.

You won't find a better decker (at least that's what he'll tell you) anywhere on the East Coast, and no security sheaf is too high for Lex. All the fast talking is only a hobby. The real fun is found in the virtual world, where nothing is out of reach. He's earned a good rep for delivering as promised, but you'd better bring serious creds.
Dashifen
Okay -- we might stagnate here for a day or so while I get my records in order and prepare for the run. I also have an RL game to prepare for on Sunday, so I'll try to start up the IC thread tomorrow or late tonight. If not, then definately over the weekend.

As an FYI: my response time will probably be lower on Saturday/Sunday than other days of the week only because I'm not always around a computer on the weekends, but I'll do my best to work as quickly as possible. I don't want to see this game go down the crapper like a number of other games have done.

-- Dash --
Dashifen
Still in a holding pattern ... I haven't forgotten about you guys!!

-- Dash --
Dashifen
Posting the IC thread now. Just posting here in case you guys have the email notification turned on. Hope you guys enjoy yourselves -- let's see what happens ....

-- Dash --
Elfie
I hope I'm doing this right.

Unless something drastic happens between now and 8pm, Lex is just going to be at the bar at 7 to grab some dinner before the meet. I'm just packing the MaxPower, QD conc. holster, regular ammo.
phelious fogg
Rowans going to spend the day goofing off untill 20:00 she'll spend some time in the gym to loosen up.
TinkerGnome
Mojo's doing the Talismongering thing attempting to make his own ritual materials. It'll be an ongoing process throughout the downtime in the game. wink.gif
Dashifen
I love the talismongering book, TinkerGnome. That's classic wink.gif

Oh, and Lex, you won 284 nuyen.gif by the end of they day's poker games. Small pickings today, the big winners are all focusing on the national tournaments.

-- Dash --
TinkerGnome
Yeah, but on a side note, when he moves out of that apartment, he is NOT getting back his security deposit smile.gif
Dashifen
LOL biggrin.gif
Grey
Sorry about my post being so vague, I wasn’t at my normal computer that has my character sheet is on, so I couldn’t remember everything he would have on him.

Akuma is currently wearing his form fitting suit, secure clothing, and secure long coat. He has his Katana and Predator on him (it is in a concealable holster and under the long coat for a +6 conceal). If he gets stopped and asked to check something (most likely the katana), he'll either give it up or go put it in his bike's storage compartment). He’s also got various other equipment with him, but it’s mostly his little gadgets, if you need me to list them all, I will.

edit: The Predator doesn't always have the silencer attached to it. Mostly he carries that inside his coat and will attach it if it is needed. Just letting you know in case you make a check for the bouncers to see it.
Dashifen
QUOTE (Grey)
Sorry about my post being so vague, I wasn’t at my normal computer that has my character sheet is on, so I couldn’t remember everything he would have on him.

Akuma is currently wearing his form fitting suit, secure clothing, and secure long coat. He has his Katana and Predator on him (it is in a concealable holster and under the long coat for a +6 conceal). If he gets stopped and asked to check something (most likely the katana), he'll either give it up or go put it in his bike's storage compartment). He’s also got various other equipment with him, but it’s mostly his little gadgets, if you need me to list them all, I will.

Nope, that's fine. You'll probably get the katana stopped, but I haven't done the rolls yet wink.gif. I'll do that right now and make a post on the IC thread.

-- Dash --
TinkerGnome
If it's needed, Mojo's decked out in a similar fashion to Akuma. He's got on his form fitting shirt and secure long coat over ordinary clothes. He's packing his pistol in a pistol under the coat (conceal 12) and a couple of spare clips. If he's asked to check it, he does with no complaints.
Elfie
I should have said what my armor was as well...Lex is wearing FFBA3 and a Sec. Ultra Vest over normal clothes. You already know about the Max Power (QD Conc. Holster).

I have nothing special to do until 8.
TinkerGnome
During the time killing at the bar, Mojo opens his astral peepers and sees what's going on. If there are any active astral signatures, he'll be doing some investigating. If not, he'll summon a force 3 watcher spirit and give it a "follow me" order.
Kurb
I apologize about the delay in post and the lack of enthusiasm, I just lost my grandfather last night and its very tough on me. I should be back to somewhat normal conditions tomorrow, but Thursday is the funeral so I probably won't post unless it is important. But after that I should be ready to go.
Elfie
I don't know what else to say but I'm sorry for your loss...
Grey
I was there not too long ago. Take whatever time you need man, games come and go. Then again, sometimes it is good to get your mind off things with a good game to keep your mind busy. Just do whatever feels best.
Kurb
Oh yeah I appreciate it, I'm ready to go...I need the game to keep my mind off it. So let's see what's up... grinbig.gif
Dashifen
I agree with the others: sorry for your loss, and if you want to play, then let's go. Life goes on and all that, I suppose. I'll get to the IC thread by the end of the night -- got to go get my fiancee at the moment. Just saw that Kurb posted and wanted to look in on what was happening.

-- Dash --
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012