Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Down in the Puyallups with Team #2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 09:05:20; Hell's Kitchen, Puyallup District, Seattle
Aeryn; PAN = passive [LTG, Skinlink, Datajack]; SIN = Selina Seymore (not broadcast)

< [Aeryn] Yeah, let's get some distance between us and this... hell... >

Saying that, once everyone is ready, Aeryn will lead the way down south and then westwards towards hwy-161 in the suburban.
Unarmed
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 09:06:11; Hell's Kitchen, Puyallup District, Seattle
Collateral; PAN = passive [LTG, Datajack]; SIN = Theodore Faron (Broadcast)

Collateral trails a short distance behind Aeryn and the suburban. A chill starts to seep through his wet pants into his legs, but he's been colder before, and it's bearable. The terrain begins to even out as they roll along, and the road condition seems to have improved.

Looks like a milk run from here, but something tells me that won't be the case.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:00; Eatenville, Puyallup District, Seattle

The suburban begins its trek following the old roads that once ran through a majestic region teaming with life that now more aptly resembles a barren wasteland of ash. Signs of life do poke through blanket in places reassuring the team that mother nature is down, but not beaten. The going is slow, but looking better than before.

As the team passes through the Clear Lake region, they hear motors in the distance, but luckily see nothing. Nearly an hour after crossing the smuggler bridge the team has ticked off just under another 15 miles off their journey. They have seen no one the entire way. Following what was Orville Road, they have now reached the intersection with hwy-161 just north of the ruins of Eatonville. The team will need to either travel through the ruins or go overland to get to hwy-7.

@Aeryn
[ Spoiler ]

@Collateral
Its the beginning of March and the temperature is low. Your old body is not taking the wet well and you feel damn near frozen.
[ Spoiler ]
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:00; Eatenville, Puyallup District, Seattle

Continuing to prove the every resourceful smuggler and a good listener, Aeryn remembers a bar room conversation from a group that went through Eatenville. They lost one vehicle before the team mage dealt with a magic threat in the town. Specifics are hazy, but it was definitely something of a spiritual nature... perhaps he used the term a mean free spirit?
The road itself was noted as in good shape and the team definitely didn't like their chances going off road.

Zion and Cynic continue to ride along in slow boredom. Look! More ash!!

Collateral is definitely happy that he is not some scrawly little human or elf. Having lived on the streets most his life he is used to the cold, but looking off in the distance as the team prepares for an ascent he has question his riding a motorcycle through the mountains especially with icicles on his pants.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:00; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle
Aeryn; PAN = passive [LTG, Skinlink, Datajack]; SIN = Selina Seymore (not broadcast)

< [Aeryn] And to the south, we have the ruins of Eatenville. Well... if the rumors hold true, there's some sort of free spirit residing there. One mean bugger, if I got that right. Guess we should try our luck with the overland route instead of going right through the ruins. >
Unarmed
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:11; Hell's Kitchen, Puyallup District, Seattle
Collateral; PAN = passive [LTG, Datajack]; SIN = Theodore Faron (Broadcast)

<@Team[Collateral] Well, unless free spirts can be blown up, they are definately not my area of expertise, heh. So, unless Cynic here is confident about handling it, I agree with you, Aeryn.>

Vut. My legs are freezing. I should probably try and get someone to swap positions with me, but that would be a blatant showing of weakness here. I'm supposed to be the tough one.
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:11; Hell's Kitchen, Puyallup District, Seattle
Zion;PAN=hidden[LTG] SIN=Gabe Moore(not broadcasting)

Zion wonders for a moment what rumors Aeryn is talking about wondering if he's heard of the same rumor back when he was with the border patrol that patrolled around the Tir.

<Zion @ Team" im with Collateral, i cant go heads up with something i can't fight, i say we take the safest route if there is one out here.">
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:01:15; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

< [Aeryn] We'll drive around the ruins then... watch out for any hazards! >

Aeryn slowly drives the car along the chosen route, staying at a healthy distance from the spirit-ridden ghost town.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:20; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

Aeryn's choices up to this point had been spot on, but this off road route in an attempt to avoid Eatenville definitely was NOT in the same vein. Collateral and his bike were covered in mud up to their waste and three time already Collateral had been forced to elicit Zion's assistance push his bike through the mud. The suburban was coated in mud. Zion was covered in mud above his knees and the back seat floor board was beginning to look the same.

And now the bad news. Aeryn's routes had brought them more east than south and now it appeared the only choice was in fact to still go through Eatenville. Continuing off road southward would take them through a mostly dry pond bed.... This is a day you wished it was just a rock and a hard place.....
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:20:00; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

< [Aeryn] This route wasn't a good choice, I'm afraid... >
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:20:02; Eatonville, Puyallup District

Cynic looked at Zion and the muck that had invaded the SUV and took a second to make sure his sustaining focus was still active. There was no telling what kind of crap was in the mud around here, and without the spell lock he'd be twitching and itching in no time.

<[Cynic] If we're headed thru Eatonville then what kind of precautions do we need to take?>
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:20:02; Eatonville, Puyallup District

Zion didn't mind the mud so much he had been threw a lot worse when he would patrol the borders of the tir. He makes his way to the front of the SUV squating next to Cynic and Aeryn placing his dirty muddy hands on Cynics shoulder by accident to keep his balance " so i guess we should have just taken the dry route towards eatanvilee then right. I guess we will have to depend on your magic stuff for a while." Zion lays down in the back of the SUV [Zion @ Collateral" sorry about your bike chummer, when we get back if you need any help getting it cleaned up or fixed for any reason give me a heads up"]
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:35; Eatonville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

The team drives through the ghost town formerly known as Eatonville. Sitting at the base of Mt Rainier and abandoned decades ago, little remains of what was once probably a thriving rural community. Despite the ash, trees and other flora have continued to grow and stake their claim on the area while the buildings fall into greater states of disrepair.. or simply just fall.

The roads are in as bad of shape as any, but are still able traversable and the team members all breath a collective sigh of relief as they exit the town without seeing the supposed spirit haunting the area.

Continuing on hwy-161 the team approaches the end of hwy-161 at hwy-7. Hwy-7 runs north/south connecting Tarislar to the Salish-Shidhe. Having come several miles west, the ash is of considerable less volume on the road than in Eatonville. At this point, Aeryn knows they will be crossing the border in 3 km. She also knows that the national border at hwy-7 is equipped with sensors.
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:35; Eatonville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

Zion relieved they didn't have to worry about any crazy magic hapenings on their way through eatenvile. <Zion@Team " so when do we want to go on foot and because we cannot take this or the bike any closer without being noticed trust me these vehicles would stand out just a little."> Zion then begins to start gathering his gear and checking it to make sure nothing was damaged from the ashe and rain.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:40:00; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

A few minutes after leaving the ghost town, Aeryn's pulse is back to normal.

"Crazy thing with those rumors, you never know they are true until you find out... but don't get me wrong, I'm glad we didn't."

< [Aeryn] So, it's time for the first border crossing tonite. Main route has sensors, but I'm not sure, if it will be a problem. Maybe if they pick up your weapon signatures, but inside the car that shouldn't be very likely. Not an expert on these matters, though, I do not usually carry anything heavier than a pistol around, and those tend not to make much problems, if any. >
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:40:00; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

Zion just looks in the back of the SUV at Collaterals Boom stick and thinks to himself about what he is carrying and just smirk spread across his face thinking to himself when Aeryn finishes her comment on the conference call.
Unarmed
Collateral; PAN = passive [LTG, Datajack]; SIN = Theodore Faron (not broadcast)

<@Team[Collateral]> I can attempt to give the sensors a bit of a rough ride as we go through, maybe do some hacking and run interference. If you're convinced that the sensors are not going to be a problem, though, Aeryn, then I should maybe forgo that entirely.>

The cold still chills Collateral's legs, but it is at least bearable. His large bike doesn't bounce around across the roads as much as a lighter one would, but the suspension is still not set up for off-roading.
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:40:10; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

Zion thought about all that and started to look around from where they were all sitting. <Zion@Team "hey Collateral how about we store your bike around here somewhere and then pick it up on our way back, it will get you out of the cold and ashe plus you could concentrate on doing all that matrix stuff you do and not worry about running into a tree out here. what do you say store your bike now?"> Zion knew that with him on his bike this close to the border and the deeper they got into the wilderness Collaterals bike would only be able to go so far.
Thanee

< [Aeryn] Convinced? No, can't say that. I don't know how thorough they are and if there is anything here, that might draw their attention. If I had to guess, I would say we can make it, but don't bet on that. Of course, if we take the main route and there are no problems, things will probably run very smooth up to the Tir border from here. >
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:40:15; Eatenville Region, Puyallup District, Seattle

Zion sat back waiting for a response from the rest of the team but voiced his opinion before anyone else jumped in<Zion@Team " well i think well be good if we look like normal travelers until we get close to the tir border, thats when we will really have to get into the thicket of things such as maybe swamps marshlands oh yeah and the Tir border patrol who have magical support to look for just the type of thing we are doing *laugh* i mean we just have to play it smart and conceal our presence so not to attract any attention then once we get close to the border maybe i can navigate us using GPS and the co-ordinates to get us to the meet with a little time to spare. totally up to you guys how we get there i just think the more casual we look the less attention we will attract."> Zion pauses to catch his breath he didn't meant to say so much he thought it would all come out in a shorter sentence. he again sits back indian style in the back of the SUV and waits for the conversation to pick back up.
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:40:17; Eatonville, Puyallup

Cynic focused his will and brought his mind into harmony with the pattern he'd memorized, forming the astral energies into two separate balls of glowing astral energy, imprinting them with a modicum of personality and intelligence.

Alpha, Bravo, wait until I command then begin a search of the area around this vehicle as we travel, moving in a spiral pattern with this vehicle as the center. Report if you find more than three people in a group, or every thirty minutes.

The young mage refocued himself on the mundane and saw Zion's message.

I agree, we should try and be casual until we don't have too anymore. I have summoned a couple of minor spirits to search for groups of three or more people and to report. That might help.
Redjack
Saturday March 2, 2070; ~10:42; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation

Cynic's watchers keep a patrol in concentric circles around the vehicle as directed. His spirit-summoner link assures him of their presence and the lack of a group of people. Unarmed continues to follow, determined to keep his bike. Satyr relaxes in the back of the vehicle while Aeryn pilots the vehicle -jumped in.

The fine tuning and power of the vehicle is a near erotic experience for Aeryn compared to most of the junk (by comparison) she has piloted in the last few years making runs across the border. She's farther east than normal at the moment, but she's in charge of this route and lacking the assurances at the border if the family was calling the shots.

The team passing the sensors is pretty much a non-event. No helos fly in, not LAVs pop up out of no where.... not even a cranky old man with a bad tupay demanding passports.

As the team continues, they roll right into the La Grande Weigh Station. Truthfully its more of an understaffed border checkpoint. Aeryn knows that a nuyen work as well as a passport here. As the team approaches, a pair in Salish uniforms with assault rifles slung step out of their small shack.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:42:00; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn slows down and lowers the window in order to greet the Salish border guards.

< [Aeryn] This should be no problem. If required they are likely up for a bribe, but maybe that won't even be necessary. >
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:42:00; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation
Zion;PAN=hidden[LTG] SIN=Gabe Moore(broadcasting)

Zion sits back and readies his id in case they ask for it, but not totally relaxing just in case he has to jump through the window and make a mad dash for the open territory. <Zion@ Team " i don't mind throwing a little Nuyen, beats having to outrun anyone. Hope they are hard up. how you doing there Collateral a bit of a chilly ride i imagine.">
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:42:00; La Grande Border Crossing

Cynic closes his eyes and relaxes in his seat as though asleep. With a practiced flexing of his will he slips his astral self free from the confines of his his meat body.

He takes only a few seconds to assess the auras of the border guards, moving quickly past them to scout the area for others.
Redjack
Saturday March 2, 2070; ~10:43; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation

As soon as Aeryn begins to talk, a ghostly little gang-banger appears near Cynic. "Yo 'effay. There's four zombies up ahead.. Just thought you should know." Cynic of course knows that the watcher means boring, unawakened people when it uses the term zombie... Or at least usually.

As the teams rolls closer, they see that the guards are in fact very much alive and normal - if you can call anyone normal in 2070. One stands off from the vehicle, near the passenger side with his weapon slung one hand under the barrel the other on the grip. The other two people referenced by the watcher are not immediately visible. The remaining border guard approaches the driver's window.

"Morning folks. Passes are in pretty bad shape..... " He shifts around as he talks trying to look in. "You all got travel visas?"
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:43:00; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation

"If you think the passes are in bad shape, you should see what our sorry country calls streets. Can't be any worse, really."

"Travel visas? Of course..."

Aeryn pulls out her commlink and points the display towards the border guard.

DISPLAY
Redjack
Saturday March 2, 2070; ~10:43; La Grande Weigh Station, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn displays the amount in AR. "Ok, there's yours... Now for each of your companions..?" He asks looking to the others. The amount seemed fair enough per person to her. When working for the family these matters where usually taken care of for her, but handling the money herself sure paid a lot better. She also figured that there would be a separate payment for the return trip of an equal amount, but money well spent to avoid any hassles.
Thanee

Aeryn smiles. "Of course."
Saytr

Zion relaxed a bit making a casual movement grabbing his comlink and shows the gaurd the similar screen to allow him access pass the border. Zion just smiled as he awaited the gaurd to confirm the transfer "here you go there chummer" and let them pass, all the while Zion was watching to make sure none of the other gaurds came in to prey on the easy money.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:44:00; Crossing into the Salish-Shidhe Nation

After each of the team members inside the suburban pay, Collateral haggles with the border guard for a few moments, then climbs in as well. "Hope these guys are trustworthy. Paid him a c-note to watch my bike during our 'vacation'."

The team, now with actual travel visas, are ready to go. Aeryn puts the vehicle back into gear and begins the ascent further into the mountains.

Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:49:00; Elbe, Salish-Shidhe Nation

From La Grande, the decent is pretty rapid. With the Puyallups a mere 40' off of sea level, the climb to La Grande had taken the team to 1800' above sea level.

Five minutes down the road (and a drop to 1237' elevation), the team sees the town of Alder and the shores of Alder Lake. The town, if you can really call it that, appears to consist of a full dozen buildings. For Cynic and Collateral, who have never actually been out of the metroplex, this is something entirely new. Several cars can be seen in front of some of the buildings. At this time, no one appears to be outside.

Looking off in the distance, the team sees that a number of miles down the road they will once again begin an ascent. This time, they can see the white of snow will accompany the rise in elevation.
Saytr

Zion starts to pop his ears once again as he greets Collateral "hows it going Chummer, you know any games to play for the trip" letting a small smile cross his face" It's going to be a little bit before we see any action again." Zion hoped anyways for once they got into the wild anything could happen, he knew that for a fact.

Zion thought to himself wonder if any of the old crew is still in?
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:49:00; Elbe, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"This is such a beautiful place. So much nicer and cleaner than the city. It's only my second time here, actually. Not getting to leave the city much. I will have to remind myself to find a better way than this Hell back there, when I get to come here again some day."

Aeryn continues on the road, driving at normal speed, not jacked in for now, unless the road gets bad and she needs the extra level of awareness.
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:50:01; Middle of Nowhere, Salish-Shidhe Nation

This unending forest landscape losses it's interest real quick.

Cynic sat back and sipped his power drink and shot the occassional leer towards Aeryn as the hot chick handled the SUV along the winding twisting roads.

"This drive is boring as hell, alright, and check out that town. Bet there are more people at the Spike's last party then there are in that whole burg. Oh well, I wonder what kinda critter wonders around in these woods?"

In reality he kind of liked the idylic scene, having had to deal with all the toxins and crap in the sprawl, the clean air and forest landscape was a relaxing change. Still, he at least knew the city, spirits only knows what kind of Awakened creepy crawly wondered around in these woods. It was fascinating and frightening at the same time. Of course he wasn't going to let any of the other runners know that.

"So, what kind of opposition do you guys see us hitting dropping off the meat-puppet back there?"
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 10:50:01; Middle of Nowhere, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"this is a really nice area actually, you can't judge a book by its cover though for once you go beyond the tree lines and see what is actually staring back at you i think you might have a different point of view for the area we are about to wonder into." Zion said in response to Aeryn then turned his head Cynics way" as for opposition i feel we are going to need you to somehow mask our presence from prying eyes once we start getting to deep into the forest, there can be some pretty nasty critters out there that don't like trespassers."

Zion felt like he was back in the wildcat's getting ready to do a hit on the same kind of people that he had now turned into. Zion laughed inside at the irony of what his life had been and what it was now.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:55:00; Crossing the Salish-Shidhe Nation

The passage through Elbe is uneventful and the team continues on into the mountains and through the passes. The road conditions are getting worse the farther the team goes.

@Thanee
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 10:55:00; Elbe, Salish-Shidhe Nation

As the road gets worse, Aeryn 'jumps into' the vehicle, using her rigger controls to full extent in order to keep their ride safe and steady.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:12:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

The drive over Storm King Mountain was treacherous. Snow and ice marked the passing and slowed Aeryn to ~30km/hour. By jumping into the vehicle, engaging all the safety and traction control protocols and maintaining a low speed she was able to successfully navigate the pass. The town of Morton is a welcome site to the team, as well as the clearing roads. The town is a sizable community.

As the team rolls through town, a 4x4 police vehicle falls in behind the team, following them through town.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:12:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn continues to drive in a well-behaved manner, along the route through Morton.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:30:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

The cop follows the crew through town, but turns off as they continue on their way. The winding trip on hwy-12 through Glenoma and into Randle is nothing if not quiet. Your arrival at the edge of Randle is uneventful as is the subsequent turn down Woods Creak Road (also known as County Rd 9009) starts like just another turn until you reach the gate across the road at the base of the pass.

ROAD CLOSED

Looking into the distance, clouds have settled into the upper elevations and snow covers the road.
This appears to have put a slight kink in an otherwise pretty smooth trip.
Thanee

< [Aeryn] Well... >

Aeryn calls up the map and looks for other routes. She also tries to find some kind of info service, where travelers can inform themselves about the current state of the major roads.
Saytr

Zion pulls out a map of the area and tries to recall any knowledge about the area and condition of the roads when he used to "work" out here. "i might know the area i used to do some work around these parts, give me a minute and let me remember where i am."

"Wasn't there a alternate route around here"
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:31:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn accesses the local grid, first looking for alternate routes. She pulls an area map. There appear to be two routes. Head due south through the mountain pass or back track then cut over to I-5 and circle back around to the crossing point. Seeking local information she finds several bits of information : There is a highway department barn on the edge of town, there is a sporting goods store selling skis & other gear and a local mechanic specializes in snow mobiles.

Zion determines their position to be still too far north for his experience. He does remember that when he went to Seattle he traveled up I-5. He also remembers that it was heavily patrolled and that in the Salish-Shidhe Nation, their equivalent to the fourth amendment only applies to citizens.
Saytr

Zion leans back and tries to remember anything about the area and finally gives up on trying to remember more then he does. "im not used to being this far north guys, i used the I-5 but i wasn't packing any heat and they are pretty big sticklers on us having this kind of equipment." Zion waves his hand over his com equipment and sliver gun and opens his hands to emphasize the point of Collaterals boom stick. "once we get farther south i will know where we are going, so i'll leave us getting there to you Aeryn. I mean you obviously have the gear to get us where we need to go. As for the route i don't care as long as we get there with a little time to do some recon on the area."
Thanee

< [Aeryn] Looks like there is only one reasonable way, unless we want to try that closed road ahead... we could also try the local highway departement, maybe they can give us some headings. >

Aeryn stops the car and drives to the side (unless it's not allowed to stop there momentarily) for now.
Saytr

Zion sits looks towards the sky seeing the clouds, hoping that the pass isn't blocked. "how we doing on gas there Aeryn? should we fill up back at the town before heading out, plus if we are going to have to be out in this weather i will need to get a few things like a jacket so i won't freeze my ass off"
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:31:20; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

< [Aeryn] The tank was full when we started... should easily get us there and back again. Thrice or so. But sure, we could fill it back up here, just in case. >
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:31:20; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

<Zion@Team "im just trying to think ahead so we aren't caught off gaurd or by surprise, if were good on gas how does everyone feel about getting some a couple of jackets from the store then heading back out? i know i dont want to freeze, i forgot how cold it could get around these parts."> Zion looks out at the cold and shivers inside knowing wondering in the forest while feezing his ass off wouldn't make for a good night.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:31:40; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral wakes up, having fallen asleep during the drive. "Are we there?" Noticing the vehicle is pulled over and stopped and the pass looms ahead. "Hmmm.. No, I guess not."

[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:32:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"So, anyone need anything, warm clothes or whatever? This is your chance. I'll head to the highway departement and see if they can give us decent information on a viable route."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012