Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: Down in the Puyallups with Team #2
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:32:ß0; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation
Zion;PAN=hidden[LTG] SIN=Gabe Moore(broadcasting)

Zion looks over his gear and then at his clothes" its going to be cold up here tonight."" yeah I am going to get a camo jacket for tonight, i shouldn't be long. I wouldn't go to the highway station though i don't want any nosy flatfooter to find what we are packing. I will ask one of the workers at the shop so not to attract any unwanted attention, i can say I'm trying to get home i look the part."
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:33:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral rubs his pants and in his gruff voice says, "I think I could not only use to dry out a little more but snow pants... or whatever..." He looks over to Cynic, "What about you mojo-boy?"
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:33:30; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation
Aeryn; PAN = passive [LTG, Skinlink, Datajack]; SIN = Selina Seymore (not broadcast)

"Ok, I'll wait, then."
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 12:33:33 Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"Na, I'd prefer to just stay in the car until we get to the meeting site. My armored jacket's pretty warm but this snow stuff sucks. We may want to pick up some ration bars or something if they've got them. I didn't realize it'd be so, empty out here."

The young mage's cock-sure attitude had wilted somewhat in the unfamiliar surroundings. He was clearly ill-at-ease with the concept of the wilderness environment, and had grown more and more silent as they traveled farther away from the sprawl.
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 12:33:33 Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Zion unslung his weapons and gear taking off his armor vest so not to attract any unwanted attention."ill get some soy bars and and a warm coat for myself and collateral, Aeryn you need anything else? if not just roll up to the next market and ill jump out and get what we need" with that said zion checks himself out making sure all his weapons are not on his person before heading out.
Redjack
Saturday March 2, 2070; 12:55 Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn turns the vehicle around and returns to the small town (a twenty minute trip). On the way to find a store they pass a large Highway Department barn as well as several other businesses including a cafe, an auto mechanic and a used car salesman who also sells snow mobiles and four-wheelers.

The small department/sporting goods store has all manner of cold weather gear, cross-country skis and the like. Collaterall finds a white, hooded snowsuit he likes and scoops it up. He also grabs a pair of gloves and a white ski-mask, ork-sized. "Now I'm ready for the cold.."
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 12:55 Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Zion looks for a snow camo parka and ski-mask as well as matching gloves. also grabing a few glow sticks and a large white blanket. "i hope so because it's going to be colder then anything your used to up here." Zion say's passing the ork as he is checking out.

<Zion@ Aeryn" you sure you don't want anything while we are in here? i mean they have just about anything you might need. I also saw that snow mobile rental place down the street, you think we should rent one or two and get a trailer and ride those into the forest in case the SUV isn't able to make it. I know the snow can get pretty think this time of year up here.">
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:59:17; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation
Aeryn; PAN = passive [LTG, Skinlink, Datajack]; SIN = Selina Seymore (not broadcast)

"You are right, if it's getting that cold out here... I guess I better get myself a fitting outfit as well."

The elf girl takes a look around the shop and after a while has found a white hooded snow jacket and matching pants, gloves and boots, as well as a small woolen cap, a ski mask and snow goggles that should prepare her for the worst weather out there.

< [Aeryn] Probably a good idea, though rented machines often are GPS-tagged. >
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:59:17; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

zion stands next to aeryn <Zion @ Team" i Figured you and Collateral might be able to fix that problem if we had to, what do you say chummer's i would rather have a quick escape then a run in the snow?">
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:59:29; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

< [Aeryn] Alas, while I can drive them, I'm rather stereotypical when it comes to the understanding of the machines. I know a fair deal about electronics, tho, and I got a scanner, so that might help. Overall, I agree, that those snow mobiles might come in handy. >
Redjack
Collateral nods.
<<@Team [Collateral] I'm up for whatever plan. We got nine hours to get there. Snow mobiles would make for easier travel over the pass I imagine, but there is that case.. coffin.. whatever and one to bring back.>>

Each member of the team gets a full set of winter gear for about 150 nuyen.gif.
[ Spoiler ]
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:59:59; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn also looks for detailed maps of the area.
Redjack
@Team
[ Spoiler ]
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 12:59:59; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Zion looks at the time in AR<Zion @ Team " how much longer do we have to go Aeryn to our destination? Im thinking we can maybe set up plan B if things go wrong if we have time. as for the snowmobile thing we can rent some and a trailer for them if we have to so we can tow the package. what do you guys think?">
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 13:00:07; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

< [Aeryn] Hard to say, I don't know the streets here, but I think we got enough time still. Trailer sounds good to me. >
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 13:01:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Cynic considered the proposal, trying to weigh the benefits versus the disadvantages before he spoke.

<-Cynic-> The problem I see is this, adding a trailer to this rig makes it that much slower and harder to handle. I don't think adding snowmobiles to the effort would be worth much. If we're stranded out here without transport, it'd be because of a fight. What are the odds of us getting away from a fight in this terrain individually? Our best bet would be to rely upon the SUV's ability to handle the terrain and defend it accordingly. I'd say having some small survival bags available would be worth the effort, they're small and would in no way reduce our ability to move. Adding something as large as a trailer in this terrain is going to be a real hinderance. I vote we pick up some small survival packs, just in case, and head out. The sooner we make our delivery the sooner we can get back to civilization.
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 13:01:00; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Zion thought about that for a few seconds<Zion@team" ok well survival bags are good if we stay out here for more then two or three days, i don't think we are going to need much for survival gear if we are only going to be out here for a few hours, also no matter how fast we get out there we have a specific meeting time so we are going to be there at a designated point in time anyways i was just thinking about the snow drifts are going to be hideous this time of year and in the middle of the forest along the border they don't plow for trails around there and snowmobiles are easy and go for a long distance without worrying about refilling i was thinking we park the SUV somewhere hide it and then go on snowmobile from there. but if we want we can go for it in the SUV and take our chances that way. as for going at it individually if we get split up and things go wrong out here i think it was nice knowing you guys because i can get who ever stays out of here ok i think besides if we run into any ghouls or baddies out here mojo is pretty much going to be a big part of saving our hides."> Zion hated having to say stuff like that but sometime putting the bigger picture into perspective helped teams make decisions.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 13:17:07; Morton, Salish-Shidhe Nation

After some back and forth, weighing the advantages of having a snowmobile with them against the disadvantages of the trailer, a conclusion is reached.

< [Aeryn] Alright. Zion rents one snowmobile then and rides it next to the car. This way we will not get delayed and still have the option to leave the SUV and at least have something to carry equipment to lighten our load for the rest of the way. Everyone cool with it? Great, then let's get on with this trip. >
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 13:50:00; Randle, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Snug in their new snow gear, the team heads over to get snow mobiles in the little bump-in-the-road town, Randle. While there, Collateral decides he wants to try one out as well. He mumbles something about this being closer to his bike than the SUV.

Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 14:12:00; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

The snow mobiles don't run as fast as the SUV at first, but as the team drives further into the mountain through the unplowed roads the snowmobiles begin to gain an advantage. Eventually the team gets to a point where the SUV is stuck in the snow....
Thanee

< [Aeryn] Seems like the road has been closed for good reason. The car probably won't make it through. BTW, Zion, what did the workers in the shop say about it, did they say the other route is better? If not, we should drive back to the town and park the car there for a day or two. >
Saytr

Zion just does one of those smirks that say i told you so under his ski mask, as he pulls the Snowmoblie up to the SUV he looks it over <Zion @ team "tell you what how about we turn the SUV around and use it as a marking point its well hidden in the snow and no one is going to come looking for it in the middle of the snow storm. we can drag the package behind one of the snowmobiles and you and the wizkid can ride on the back of the snowmobiles that we already have we can get it on the way out , we are wasting time if we go back to the town now and drop off the suv and pick up two more. as for the other trails aroudn here they are pretty much all the same this time of year. so no other route is going to be and better or worse"> Zion taking an educated guess on the last part.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; ~14:13; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral listens as Zion and Aeryn dialog. He looks over at the silent wiz-ganger, then back to the duo who appear to be making most of the decisions. "If I might direct your attention back to one little detail... We have a coffin to move with us and if ain't fitting on these snow mobiles. We got less than eight hours and a lot of ground to cover. Given the remote location of the exchange, I'm thinking these snowmobiles will get us in there a lot better than dumping them and going back around I-5 and then trying to figure something out once we loop around."

@Zion Having spent time assigned to Tir Border Patrol during his tenure with the Tir military, he remembers sleds they used to pull behind snowmobiles during a rescue after an avalanche. Thinking back to the rental shop in Randle, he remembers seeing one of those off to the side.

Much to the team's dismay, the 4x4 seems stuck pretty good. The decision now is do they deal with it now and either take it back to Randle, deal with it now and divert to I-5 or leave it and deal with it after the exchange?
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 14:13:00; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"We need to hide the car then, it's too close to town and we will be gone for quite a while. We'll easily find it via GPS."
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 14:13:00; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"sounds good to me Aeryn, I think the SUV is pretty stuck now so if you guys want we can rig the snowmobiles to drag the package and then head out and get back on track. I think collateral and I will be ok with the two of you and the package.The SUV will be ok on the here we are in enough i dont think anyone will be looking for us if we cover the SUV and leave it here like you said we can use GPS to get it after the drop off and pick up. "
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; ~14:13; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral nods, "Ok, how do we go about attaching that thing to one of these?"
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070, 14:13:50; Middle-of-No-Where, Salish-Shide Nation

Well shit, doesn't this take the freaking cake.

Cynic tried to peer under and around the SUV without getting into the snow anymore than he had to, not really sure what he had that could help them move the beast. The conversation about dragging the coffin along on the snowmobiles didn't sound too promising.

"Hey guys, you want me to see if I can summon a water elemental to move us through this crap? I've never had to deal with snow before and I'm not sure if a water elemental with movement powers will get it done but I'd rather try that than go haring off into the woods on a snowmobile."
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; ~14:14; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral looks at the wiz-ganger, "You can do stuff like that? Whip up some ghost to whisk away the snow? Hot damn, why didn't you say so sooner. Let's get this show on the road!"
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 14:14:00; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"Now that sounds like a good idea! Go for it!"
Saytr

Zion looks to the team and then looks around the snow covering everything now, "Go ahead cynic if you can get us moving again that would be awesome." Zion pulled his snowmobile behind the SUV and waited for some magic to happen and get the team on the move agian.
Redjack

The young wiz-kid steps out into the snow for a moment. As he concentrates, snow begins piling up and rising in front of him. Finally not even a minute later, a snowman the size of a dwarf appears. It is like a fluid snow creature, lacking well defined features but definitely different than the snow around it. It nods its shifting 'head' to Cynic and answers his request like a slow, long winter gust of wind. "Yeeeeeessssss"

It moves around the suburban moving like a shark cutting through water as it plows through the snow leaving a permanent wake of snow behind it. It then moves in front of the vehicle, onto the road, cutting back and forth in front of the suburban, zigging and zagging clearing snow.

Collateral stands looking at the tireless worker clearing the way. "Hmmph. Well its not as fast as the snow mobiles, but it sure beats shoveling it ourselves or going back." He moves over the Cynic, clasping the young man's shoulder. "Guess we will keep you around for another day!"
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 17:45:00; County Rd 9009, Salish-Shidhe Nation

As the sun goes down, the spirit fades away leaving the vehicle shining its headlights into the snow. On the positive side, while the team is now behind schedule from where they believe themselves to need to be, they at least have the vehicle. The snow is considerably deeper than when they started though. The entire trip from Randle to Carson should have taken about two and half hours, here it is three and half later and at least an hour more to go....

Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:25:00; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

The lights of the town up ahead are a welcome site as the team finally make it to the end of the mountain pass. Refreshing your memory of the original parameters of the run, you are to meet the contact at 22:00 just over the border in the Tir. He will wait for up to 20 minutes at the rendezvous point. The roads are clear and you can follow Hwy-14 along the river and be in White Salmon in under 45 minutes. There is a bridge connecting White Salmon, Salish-Shidhe to Hood River, Tir Tairngaire or you can rent/borrow/steal watercraft somewhere between here and there.

Several questions exist: What will you do with the snow mobiles? How will you get across the river? What will you do to deal with the potential of running into Tir Border patrols?
Thanee

"Didn't Ms Johnson say something about hiking!? How should we 'hike' across the river? Alright, let's see how we can make it across. The bridges are definitely out of question, they will be well-guarded and I doubt we want them to see our cargo. This leaves swimming and getting us a rubber dinghy."
Saytr

Zion freezing on his snow mobile looks around while the team is making decisions. " I'm good to go for either direction the bridge would limit our reactions if something were to happen as far getting away if something happen. if we steal a boat we have to make sure we use it and get away before anyone notices it missing, if there is any type of camping grounds around the lake we can use them or we can back track and get a boat from town and then back track back here and dock down stream but all this takes something we are short on "Time" we are running short, i personally think we should be good taking one of the bridges as long as we don't arouse any suspicion."
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:25:30; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"I'd say we rent or buy a rubber dinghy in Carson, if it is manageable, and then find a good spot where we can leave the car and get across the river."
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 19:25:35 Middle of Nowhere, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Cynic looked around at the other runners, trying to figure this out. The big issue was time, they didn't have any, and it was ticking away while they talked.

"I've also got an Illusion spell which I might be able to use to fool anyone looking into the back of the rig, but I doubt I'd be able to do that spell and still use a Control Thoughts spell on a border guard. We're running out of time though and once we get across the border we've still got aways to go, how are we going to transport the box once we get across the river if we take a boat? Someone make a decision, I'll do a quick astral scout of the bridge.

Having said his piece he settled into his seat and slipped the bonds of the mundane, sliding into astral space like a fish in water. Orienting himself to be able to return this way he shot along towards the bridge at the speed of thought, determined to see what kind of security was at the bridge.
Redjack

Cynic
Cynic's spirit flies away from his mortal shell and off into the darkening night. Astral space though is vibrant and alive, much more so than in the dreary Seattle and especially more than the dead or scarred areas of the Barrens. The very snow radiates a light glow from its connection to the Gaea. Moving over Carson, he finds the gray he is used to from manufactured objects: Houses, offices, cars...

The river is a teaming life-vein of the Gaea, coursing towards the ocean. Even at the speed Cynic's essence flies towards the bridge, he realizes it is still some distance up the river. Arriving, the cold manufactured structure stands out a stark gray contrasting to the brilliant swirl of colors that is the river.

He finds several metahumans on either side side the bridge, as well as a considerable amount of traffic passing back and forth across the bridge. Spirits patrol and flitter in and out of vehicles as they are searched before entrance to either country.

Aeryn
Aeryn finds there is less than 19 miles between Carson and White Salmon. Near White Salmon, but outside the urban area enough to provide obscurity, she notices the Spring Creek Hatchery. The rendezvous point is nearly due south of this spot.

Zion
Collateral pulls his snowmobile over by the elf. "Are we gonna hide these things till we get back or take one or both with us?"
Saytr

Zion starting to shiver from riding in the cold missing the comfort of heat in his little place that he calls home look's over to Collateral through the helmet <Zion @ Collateral" It kind of depends on weather we think we can get accross with out using the bridge or if we have to use a boat."> sounding some what shaky from the weather Zion notices its starting to get really cold and the realizes the meet is not far from now and starts to worry that the team might blow this run if they dont get the lead out of their feet. <Zion @ Team" Im down for anything at this point if we keep on the beaten pathes we are going to miss our dead line, i really don't want to miss it plus having bikers pissed at me will really suck if we don't get this dead weight where it needs to go."> Zion waits for a direction to go while he shoves his arms in his jacket pockets to keep them some what warm.
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 19:25:00 Frozen Wasteland near Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Cynic in his spirit form takes a second and zooms up and down stream near Carson then heads back to the vehicle to report.

His flesh form shivers and he sits up, feeling just a tad stiff from the astral journey.

Cynic: [ALL]: Well, it looks like using spells to bluff past the bridge guards is flat out, they've got spirits patroling and there are more than a few guards. There does seem to be a lot of traffic though, could we hack into the computer system and give us some kind of pass?
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:25:30; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"Yeah, the bridges won't work. Period. Let us concentrate on how we get across the river safely and without unwanted attention."
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:25:40; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation
"Zion;PAN=hidden[LTG] SIN=Gabe Moore(broadcasting)

" sounds like we need to procure a boat that will carry us and the cargo and something to carry us and the cargo when we on the otherside unless you want to hoof it all the way to the meet or we could hot wire a ride to get to the meet and back after we get accross. Or we can try to bribe the gaurds on the bridge but i dont know if the magic user would like seeing the coffin since its got that writing on it i don't know what else it might be carrying along with it, who knows what those dam slag put in that thing."

Zion didn't like sitting still for to long talking the way they were he was more of a take action kind person. Not so much a hot head but a get it done quick in and out kind of guy. he started to get a little paranoid about the team staying still to long, made him feel a chill up his spine and take frequent look arounds to make sure they weren't being watched.
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:26:55; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn logs into the grid and runs a quick search for boat rentals and purchases in Carson and the surrounding area. She finds an outfitter who provides fishing trips on the river for a fee, a sporting goods store that sells rafts and canoes and a car dealer that lists a few used boats in their inventory. The first provides an LTG where they can be reached for more information, the second is closes at 8pm on Saturdays and the latter is closed at 5pm on Saturday.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:27:00; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Aeryn also checks for prices, to be able to determine a course of action. And whether they can still make it in time, before the second shop closes.

"Got some pointers, where we could proceed."

She then shares her information with the team.
Redjack
Viewing the online catalog, Aeryn sees that a two-man inflatable raft is 99 nuyen.gif and a four-man inflatable raft is 300 nuyen.gif. Hard side kayaks start at 249 nuyen.gif for a one person and go up to 1,000+ nuyen.gif for four person canoes. Paddles and life preservers are noted as being an extra cost.
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:28:00; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"What do you think, one two-seater and one four-seater should do the trick?"
Redjack
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:28:00; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Collateral says, "Whatever we can get the coffin across the river with. Someone make a damn decision, it's frelling cold out here..."
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:28:30; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"Okay, then we will go with those two... decision done, let's proceed!"
Saytr
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:28:30; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

Zion looked to the other group for approval and shouted over the roar of the snowmobiles and the SUV idling " sounds good lets get a move on so we dont attract any unwanted attention, we can hide the suv and snow mobiles here in the woods until the trip back, we should be back here before any unwanted attention gets to us. the rafts are a good idea Aeryn "
Thanee
Saturday March 2nd, 2070; 19:29:00; Just north of Carson, Salish-Shidhe Nation

"The SUV should be good to carry the deflated rafts to the river, but we will definitely should drop off the snowmobiles somewhere in the vincinity, as I don't see what use they are to us from here. Might be a lil tight in here, but it's not far now and the rest of the way is on foot, anyways."

"How does this sound? Cynic and I go get the rafts while Collateral and Zion find a nice spot for the snowmobiles. Afterwards we meet up again."
Cedric Rolfsson
Saturday March 2, 2070; 19:29:30: North of Carson; Salish-Shidhe Nation

Cynic nodded his head, tracking along, trying to figure out where he would be most useful. The reality that he was scared shit-less of rafting across the river in what was effectively a large plastic bag didn't need to be passed along.

"That plan works for me, best I can come up with. As to the crossing, I suppose I could summon another water elemental to help move us across but I'm not sure it would effect one or both of the rafts if we're in two different vehicles.
Saytr
Saturday March 2, 2070; 19:29:30: North of Carson; Salish-Shidhe Nattion
Zion;PAN=hidden[LTG] SIN=Gabe Moore(not broadcasting)

Zion looked to Collateral and Aeryn then to the wiz kid"sounds good, how about an hour we meet just outside of town and you pick us up farely close to where we hide the snowmobiles?"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012