Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [OOC] Earth's Dawn
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Fortune
That's really not true, otherwise people could never interact. You didn't ask his true name, merely the name he wants to be known as to the public. Icewing is not his true name, nor is it Dollmaker or Ghostwalker or any other of the many things he may be called. I don't see that you did anything out of place.
Sandoval Smith
But you can't make fun of people for not doing anything out of place.
Lindt
Stupid question. Anyone know sprethiel?
Fortune
Gypsy already spoke to it once in that language, but that seemed to be overlooked. I figure he'll try again though.
Fortune
Backgammon: I tried to hand the social thing off to Dogma, as that is his specialty. When I made the post about it being his cue, I naturally thought that he knew at least a little bit of Sperethiel. I checked his sheet afterwards, but by then it was too late, so I left it as it was to see how things panned out.

Sorry mate. I didn't mean to steal the spotlight, but unless Pale-and-Scaly decides to communicate in a different fashion, there's not much choice.

One alternative is for you to have Dogma do some of the talking in the future, and just post that Gypsy is doing the translating for you.

Or he could start to learn Sperethiel and become a civilized elf! nyahnyah.gif wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
Just a reminder that dragons tend to speak telepathically when dealing with metahumans (that's why Dunkie needed a 'translator.' Thought speak isn't picked up by mikes), and there hasn't seemed to be a problem with what language the metahuman thinks he's speaking in. We just have to think real hard at Ghostwalked to make him understand us.
Fortune
That might not necessarily hold true for the Fourth World (I don't know for sure though). All I know is that Sphynx stated that the 'words' used by the dragon were in Sperethiel, and that he implied that the dragon did not understand the resulting answers from the rest of the team.

Gypsy could also use Mindlink, and I considered going that route, but he is kinda fatigued at the moment, so I figured that it would be better not to try.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
Hey, HMHVV, one thing I'm wondering about Rebo: why is he convinced that ALL magic is psi power? It just seems kind of strange.

That's the psionicist mindset; that magic isn't "magic" at all, but the workings of the human mind and the psychic power that comes from it.

That's also why he refers to spirits as "extra-dimensionals."

The basic rules are in Magic in the Shadows.
Lindt
Yeah, and PSI forms kinda suck... but that wont keep tev from pestering him about them.
Backgammon
QUOTE (Fortune)
Backgammon: I tried to hand the social thing off to Dogma, as that is his specialty. When I made the post about it being his cue, I naturally thought that he knew at least a little bit of Sperethiel. I checked his sheet afterwards, but by then it was too late, so I left it as it was to see how things panned out.

Sorry mate. I didn't mean to steal the spotlight, but unless Pale-and-Scaly decides to communicate in a different fashion, there's not much choice.

One alternative is for you to have Dogma do some of the talking in the future, and just post that Gypsy is doing the translating for you.

Or he could start to learn Sperethiel and become a civilized elf! nyahnyah.gif wink.gif

Yeah, I know, but it's sorta cool this way. Obviously I'm our best asset when negociating comes up, but it's fun to be in a situation when your best asset can't be used (like street sams without guns!). I considered having you translate what I say, but I figured you were an elf too, which maybe the dragon would like, you knew more about magic, dragons, 4th world and all that stuff and were generally well suited to hold negociations. I'll probably ask you in a future post to let me know what you're saying and what he's saying once conversation gets underway.

So if you fail, you will be responsible for all of our horrible deaths. No pressure wink.gif
Lindt
Again. Dont let the dragon eat me.
Sphynx
Time to Eval the GM if you don't mind.

Watching other games, I see that my GM style seems to so greatly differ from others as to almost seem like a completely different gaming system. Where other games take weeks just to get started, our game has done more than most games ever will I think. My concern is that maybe you think I'm going too fast, like the numbers on the sheet don't matter as much as in other games since we so rarely have roll-the-dice events (we have alot of them, but I usually just don't mention what dice I rolled for players and just tell the story the way the dice rolled).

I don't mind some good criticing, I'd rather be told to change than lose the game, so please don't hold back if you hate certain aspects. nyahnyah.gif

Anyhows, will have Karma posted soon, and I think ES_ is the only one I'm waiting on (will double check) to do a weekend IC post. So you may see an early post this week. smile.gif
Fortune
How do you work Karma Pool? Do we apply one of the awarded Good Karma points towards it (when we have accumulated enough), or is the addition to the Pool considered to be a seperate entity. I have seem both variations used in the past.
Sphynx
You have to place one of your own karma into Karma Pool. It's not a freebie in my games.
Fortune
That's cool. I figured it's better to ask beforehand than it is to assume and be wrong.

Not quite there yet anyway, being an elf and all. smile.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Feb 25 2005, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Feb 25 2005, 07:59 AM)
Hey, HMHVV, one thing I'm wondering about Rebo: why is he convinced that ALL magic is psi power? It just seems kind of strange. 

That's the psionicist mindset; that magic isn't "magic" at all, but the workings of the human mind and the psychic power that comes from it.

I don't have my copy of MitS with me, but that's not how I remember the description. Although the rules for psi-powers are exactly the same as for magic, psi-users believe that theirs come from their mind (thus saving the pain of having to make any sort of seperate rules for psi powers). So any magic that _they_ do is psi powered, but not the magic that most everyone else does.

It seems rather ridiculous to try and claim that _all_ magic is psi related, because there is too much evidence to the contrary. It'd be a stance that wouldn't be able to stand up in a high school debate, much less confrontation with any other magic user.

Sphynx, as for the game, I think that it's going really well, and moving quickly, because you try hard to keep people posting regularly. A great success in all regards.
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith)
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter @ Feb 25 2005, 01:41 PM)
QUOTE (Sandoval Smith @ Feb 25 2005, 07:59 AM)

I don't have my copy of MitS with me, but that's not how I remember the description. Although the rules for psi-powers are exactly the same as for magic, psi-users believe that theirs come from their mind (thus saving the pain of having to make any sort of seperate rules for psi powers). So any magic that _they_ do is psi powered, but not the magic that most everyone else does.

It seems rather ridiculous to try and claim that _all_ magic is psi related, because there is too much evidence to the contrary. It'd be a stance that wouldn't be able to stand up in a high school debate, much less confrontation with any other magic user.

Sphynx, as for the game, I think that it's going really well, and moving quickly, because you try hard to keep people posting regularly. A great success in all regards.

The book says:

"An awakened character who follows this path believes ALL magical abilities spring from the unleashed power of the human mind."

Also, there was an entry in an old book called "Awakenings: New Magic in 2057" that was written by a psionicist. He held the same attitude that my character does, except he was a lot more venom-filled, saying stuff like, ""Forget all the fairy-tale drek, forget spells and spirits and all that drek, it's just your brain working its own "magic" on electromagnetic energy...No skin off my nose if you'd rather believe you're some fantasy-mage type with a magic wand..."

So while psionics acknowledge that others might BELIEVE that they're working "magic," they don't believe it really is magic.

In any case, it's a fun role-playing experience for me, trying to avoid using common terms like "spirits" and "magic energy" in favor of "extra-dimensional entities" and "psi power."
Backgammon
I don't see any problems with thinking all magic is in fact psi. Obviously a psi got a good boost from the Awakening, but it could be held up that all magic is merely applied will, and spirits manifestations of will.
Tarantula
Sphynx, I love the game, I'm not posting regularly because I'm not always in the story, so I only post when its relevant, rather than trying to draw the focus to me when it isn't required. I do appreciate you trying to draw me in the story more, and I'll post to accomodate.
Lindt
I gotta say this is an AWSOME game. The posting 5 days at a time is kinda tough, but it really keeps it moving. 3 of us are in "Yarrrr" and look how slow thats moving in compairison.

And Woooo for being a human. 2 karma pool here I come!
Fortune
QUOTE (Tarantula)
Sphynx, I love the game, I'm not posting regularly because I'm not always in the story, so I only post when its relevant, rather than trying to draw the focus to me when it isn't required. I do appreciate you trying to draw me in the story more, and I'll post to accomodate.

It's a vicious cycle. You aren't 'in the game' as much because you don't post as often. Even a post that describes your reaction to something, even if it isn't actually furthering the present action, will cause your character to be more involved.
Lindt
If you dont post, you get abused by dragons. Case in point, Me! There was a reason i got smacked between rocks (cause up to that point I posted mabey 3 a week, and have stopped worrying about making good long involved posts and just getting the ideas out).
HMHVV Hunter
My evaluation:

I really like how this game is progressing. Everyone seems to be more or less involved, and things are moving along nicely. I wish all PbP games moved this fast; I'd join more of them if they did.

On a side note, I won't have regular access to the internet next week (from about the 5th to the 13th). I'll do what I can to post every day, but I can't guarantee anything.
Tarantula
Fortune, while I realize that, but if I go over here, and start cleaning my drones, then some other people do things, getting ready, and discussing, then some more talking ensues, while I'm still over there cleaning drones, and so on. I dunno, I figure talking takes a lot less time that doing other things, so I stay out while I'm preoccupied. Anyway, I'm not complaining about my lesser karma, because I'm posting less, thats fine. Just saying, I'm glad he'll make an effort to get me more involved, which will cause me to post more.
Sphynx
Don't forget, you don't always have to post what you intend to do, but also, what happened. The best posts are the ones where someone re-describes what I described, from their character's perspective. Good PBP storytelling looks a bit like this:

CODE
Storyteller:
|-------------------|----------------|----------------|
Players:
           |-------------------|----------------|----------------|

That way people get a feel for your own character, stuff they wouldn't see in a "Then I:" sort of post. smile.gif In games I play in, when I have nothing further to say, I tend to either purely roleplay (look at the B&E thread), or post the past (ES_S did a fabulous job of that in her karma-awarded post).

Just thoughts to help. smile.gif
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (HMHVV Hunter)
So while psionics acknowledge that others might BELIEVE that they're working "magic," they don't believe it really is magic.

In any case, it's a fun role-playing experience for me, trying to avoid using common terms like "spirits" and "magic energy" in favor of "extra-dimensional entities" and "psi power."

Hrm, I don't have 'Awakenings,' and yeah, that's what MitS says, but it still seems pretty ridiculous to me that to have psychic powers means embracing a viewpoint that flies in the face of fact, and evidence as much as believing that the world is only 6,000 years old (so yeah, people do it, but they are filtering their world view to a ridiculous extent). It's just a much more well adjusted mental stance to say, 'My powers come from my mind, but that dragon over there is magic all the way.'

YMMV.
Lindt
Yes! I get to talk with Rebo about PSI forms finally!
Lets just not let Sleel get eaten... cause that would be bad.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Lindt)
Lets just not let Sleel get eaten... cause that would be bad.

Has there ever been an instance in which the consumption of a party member was a _good_ thing?
Lindt
I play the game-that-shall-not-be-named. Arranging for my compiti... erh fellow party members to get eaten is par for the course.

But no, this would be a bad thing.
Sandoval Smith
QUOTE (Lindt)
I play the game-that-shall-not-be-named. Arranging for my compiti... erh fellow party members to get eaten is par for the course.

You play Hearts too?
Lindt
queen of spades will screw ypu every time

I did mention thats why I RUN SR, and play Planescape (attempt to give some creditability to that-other-system)?

Sandoval Smith
I actually meant that previous post in the context of:
I play the game-that-shall-not-be-named.

You play Hearts, too? *crack of thunder, as the game has been named.* My jokes are usually better if I actually think about them before telling them. Then again, that's true for most people.
Sphynx
Hmmm, "Materialize, catch him, and free to go". I'm not really sure what was intended here, but I'll try to not read that super literally (As catching and then dispersing could quite defeat the purpose of catching). wink.gif
Sandoval Smith
I hope someone's got another spirit handy, because I just realized that the course of action just taken is a good way to make flatjacks.
Fortune
I thought it was Slinky that was know as I Blame You.

And, just to be clear, is Gypsy still Astrally connected to Icewing, even after he departs?
HMHVV Hunter
Sorry; I forgot spirits have a Force too (first Conjuring roll I've ever made)
Sphynx
Fixing the Blame, and yes, still connected to Icewing (at least you'd guess so, there is a link that stretches for miles towards the north)
Lindt
Meh, I thinking long term with my post. More of a get him safe, and once this is over your rewards is to go away. No harm done.
But this is so much more entertaining, playing magic rigger tennis.

Tell me thats cant be tramatic, getting ripped into projection when its not something your spossed to be able to do.

And just out of couriousity, would Sleel be in the sky domain or the mountain domain as he hit the ground?
Fortune
Cool, I'll add a little bit to my post.

QUOTE (Lindt @ Mar 2 2005, 02:53 AM)
Tell me thats cant be tramatic, getting ripped into projection when its not something your spossed to be able to do.

I thought so too, and tried to reflect that at least somewhat in my post. biggrin.gif
Backgammon
While appearing to suddenly drop dead to anyone without astral sight, right next to Slinky no less. Ah, morale on this mission has got to hit rock-bottom. Much like Sleel... ...
Fortune
Ain't that he truth ... but at least we all didn't end up as lunch. biggrin.gif
Sphynx
I just wanted to comment that I think Rebo's ascertations about magic are far closer to the system than the rest of you. The only "magic" I see is the conjuring of Elementals. "Mages", should anyone actually still call them that, and "Shamans" particularly are really just bending the world to their psyche. You don't see components being thrown, incantations being recited, or any other magic mumble-jumble (unless they willingly limit themselves to that). People are taking their self-granted psychic power and calling it magic to make people feel better about it. I mean, it's so much nicer to believe that someone's using an external source of power to perform these fantastic feats than to accept that that someone is just so much stronger mentally that he can, without external help, create such incredible feats. After all, that's the real difference between Magic and Psychic power. Magic takes an external source (astral energy?) and manipulates it. A Psychic just does it with his mind. And a Shaman, some external source of power that is deitic in nature. Yeah, that's believable. Anyone who calls it "Magic" is obviously just deluding themselves, or trying to hide from the general public that their power comes from within. Personally I'm guessing it's the 2nd, because even I'd be scared that I was lower on the evolutionary chain if people around me could bend things with their minds, and I couldn't.

Anyhows, even if there is such a thing as Astral Energy that you bend with your mind, I'd still call it psychic, as you're not reciting some archaic inscriptions while tossing fairy dust in the air. Everything you do is with your mind alone. I should just dock karma from anyone who thinks their magic comes from anywhere other than psychic power (elemental conjuring being the exception of course). nyahnyah.gif

Sphynx

PS. Jus tkidding about docking karma. wink.gif
Fortune
I just have to say ... whatever!

I am playing a mage. He uses Magic! Rebo can call it what you like, but it isn't the default of the game setting.
HMHVV Hunter
Just wondering: it says that a week has passed, and a while ago I mentioned I wanted to learn Manaball at Force 6 (which would take 6 days). How many days do I have left?
Fortune
A week has passed since we started. I don't think it has been a week since you resolved to learn the spell (which was after the battle with the Shades and The Hate). Actually, I would be surprised if more than a day or two has gone by since then.

Incidently, how do you go about learning spells (or whatever) without a formula?
HMHVV Hunter
QUOTE (Fortune)
A week has passed since we started. I don't think it has been a week since you resolved to learn the spell (which was after the battle with the Shades and The Hate). Actually, I would be surprised if more than a day or two has gone by since then.

Incidently, how do you go about learning spells (or whatever) without a formula?

That's the thing about being a psionic; they can't learn spells via formulae, so they have to come up with spells themselves (MitS calls it "discovering their power") or have it taught to them by another psionic.
Fortune
That's cool. I just figured I'd ask, as it occured to me when I was away from my books.
Sandoval Smith
Escape from Ireland.

Not starring Kurt Russel. First off, could we use multiple spirits to drag our sorry asses through the water towards merry new England? Second, with our variety of magic types, can anyone freeze a bug chunk of water? Also, with our variety of cyber types, we can probably scope the out the shoreline below us pretty well (I can also borrow the shades back from Meneer for a moment) see if there is any amount of driftwood, or other floaty stuff. Then we just have to get down to the water. More levitate spells to drift down to the beach?
Sphynx
I will assume these are not questions for me, right? .... nyahnyah.gif
Sandoval Smith
Hmm, I was a little less than clear...

The questions relating to magic are for the other players. The ones about if we can see anything useful on the shoreline down below is for the almighty GM.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012