Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Front is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Bull
I've read it (several weeks ago smile.gif), but my opinions are obviously biased, so... I'm just waiting to see what everyone else thinks. smile.gif

Bull
Ixal
I just bought it but I have to go to work now. See you in 8 hours.

Small spoilers from my quick overlook:

The Hidden Stories are in the book (Jackpoint Talk)
The plot about FastJack heats up but is not resolved completely, only that its not just FastJack
[ Spoiler ]

Sirrung
[ Spoiler ]

GeMiTo
[ Spoiler ]

Hestaby
[ Spoiler ]

Ghostwalker & Harlequin
[ Spoiler ]

Obviously because of personal preferences I focused on the dragon stories. Someone else has to fill in the rest.
Grinder
Thread for the book is up.
Grinder
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 09:13 AM) *
I just bought it but I have to go to work now. See you in 8 hours.

Small spoilers from my quick overlook:

The Hidden Stories are in the book (Jackpoint Talk)
The plot about FastJack heats up but is not resolved completely, only that its not just FastJack
[ Spoiler ]

Sirrung
[ Spoiler ]

GeMiTo
[ Spoiler ]

Hestaby
[ Spoiler ]

Ghostwalker & Harlequin
[ Spoiler ]

Obviously because of personal preferences I focused on the dragon stories. Someone else has to fill in the rest.

hermit
Something went wrong there, Grinder.

Also, there seems to have been another ebook release, but I am experiencing download difficulties on it.
Bull
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 14 2013, 04:51 AM) *
Something went wrong there, Grinder.

Also, there seems to have been another ebook release, but I am experiencing download difficulties on it.

There were three releases total: Storm Front, an epub called Sim Dreams & Nightmares (BTLS and Sims), and the old Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America (Finally!).

Which are you having problems with, and what is happening. I can't do anything myself, but I can make sure to let Jason and Matt know, and they can get it fixed up quick, hopefully.

And is anyone else having any problems?
ravensmuse
Not to speak for Mr. Meiers, but I saw him say awhile back that Clutch was the last piece he'd be doing for Catalyst for awhile, because he has to focus on some other stuff in his personal life. So good luck to him.

I'm disappointed with what sounds like went down with the dragons. I'm not going to hide my disappointment that Aztlan is allowed anywhere near Denver; if it's as it sounds, and the Azzies have a seat at the table, booo. It underlines my (admittedly paranoid) feeling that we're trying to go back to the 1e / 2e days, and I'm really not digging that.

Also not happy with what's happened with Hestaby, Alamais (and I swear, if I see one fruitcake joke...), blah. Really not feeling this book.

But I'll admit, I haven't been following mainline SR canon for awhile - just stealing bits and pieces as I go on.

hermit
There were three releases total: Storm Front, an epub called Sim Dreams & Nightmares (BTLS and Sims), and the old Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America (Finally!).

Which are you having problems with, and what is happening. I can't do anything myself, but I can make sure to let Jason and Matt know, and they can get it fixed up quick, hopefully.

Well. I already wrote to Drivethru, but I get the following error message when trying to download my (watermarked) copy of SimDreams&Nightmares from DTRPG: "The requested source file could not be found. Please contact us and let us know about this error." I guess something went wrong with the upload of that file somehow.

Also, the threadsplit Grinder seems to have intended didn't seem to work, or is the bulk of this thread being with the announcement thread on purpose?

Reading Stormfront now. Review WILL be coming. So brace yourselves.
Grinder
I merged two threads, not tried to split one up. smile.gif
hermit
Ah, I see.
ShadowJackal
This is all I'm going to say.
Wakshaani
Yeah, James is out for a bit, taking care of life issues, but he'll be back. He's still around for us to bounce things off of from time to time, however.

As for Storm Front ... go forth! Read! There are Things in there!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 14 2013, 08:17 AM) *
As for Storm Front ... go forth! Read! There are Things in there!

Are they Tentacled Things?
Patrick Goodman
That would be telling. *whaps something offstage with a cattle prod*
tasti man LH
QUOTE (ShadowJackal @ Mar 14 2013, 05:37 AM) *

...in a good way or a bad way?

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 14 2013, 09:04 AM) *
That would be telling. *whaps something offstage with a cattle prod*

0-0

I get to continue my scheming for bringing Cthulupunk into SR?!

Unsuspecting PCs + Tentacled Horrors = Endless entertainment for GM

Ixal
I'm back.
Time to read it cover to cover

But first I hope it is OK when I post the index so that people know what they miss if they don't buy it.
I also add a small explanation what the chapter is about and which Hidden Stories it covers

THINGS THAT GO BOOM............................................3
Introduction by FastJack.
EYE OF THE HURRICANE............................................5
Pure fiction. Same as the Hidden Story with the same name.
THE TRIUMPH OF AZTLAN..........................................9
Aztlans victory in South America. Contains Pulling the Trigger and Battle for Bogotá.
FALL OF A DRAGON...............................................35
The entire Dragon Civil War from buildup to its resolution in GeMiTo. Dragons Hidden Story included.
SEATTLE SHAKES.................................................63
Brackhavens Dilemma and what going on in the Ork Underground
LIGHTNING IN DENVER............................................87
War between Harlequin and Ghostwalker in Denver, from cold to hot. No Hidden Story.
ARES TREMBLES.................................................112
Ares Problems and they are many. Ares Hidden Story.
SHADOW NETWORK.............................................130
Interlude as thing switch to less apocalyptic events.
FIRST AMONG EQUALS............................................131
The election in Tir featuring Grimmy the Grimoire and the Princes hidden story which, if it were complete would cover the whole chapter.
THE ARTFUL DODGER.............................................136
The Artful Dodger hidden story about Dodger and De La Mar
SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY.......................................139
The Hidden Story with the same name.
ESCAPING THE GHOST DECADE....................................144
What the three AAA Japancorps are up to.
FRACTURES.....................................................151
Pure Story, as as the Hidden Story with the same name and much more.
THE CRACKS INSIDE...............................................155
The new Matrix revealed and more about people starting to act strange which is a lot bigger than just FastJack
GAME INFORMATION.............................................186
Duh
Pepsi Jedi
Looks very good. I saw the table of contents on Drive thru, it's nice to see just what was in each chapter. With the hard copy release being so close I'm debating waiting... Thing is I always end up getting the PDF anyway, just a matter of priorities, and when/ where the money goes. Sometimes Shadowrun books are cheaper on the 'Zon, sometimes, not and harder to find.

I know I really want to read this stuff. So those of you that have it, more details!!!
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 14 2013, 08:25 PM) *
I know I really want to read this stuff. So those of you that have it, more details!!!

Well, what do you want to know and how much of a spoiler should it be?
Lionhearted
I'm a bit lost on what this book is supposed to be, it's not a module, it's not a rulebook, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of in game application...
Are we buying pure fluff?
bannockburn
I imagine it is a bit like Emergence, with adventure ideas pertaining to the chapters?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Kishe
From DriveThruRPG's description:

Storm Front provides plot information as well as adventure hooks that are compatible with Shadowrun, Fourth Edition while also laying the groundwork for the upcoming Shadowrun, Fifth Edition. As a bridge between the two editions, this book is useful to all Shadowrun players, setting the stage for explosive stories and memorable campaigns.

-Kishe
Bull
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 14 2013, 04:00 PM) *
I'm a bit lost on what this book is supposed to be, it's not a module, it's not a rulebook, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of in game application...
Are we buying pure fluff?

Portfolio of a Dragon, Dunklezahn's Will, was pure fluff and world information. And yet I don't think I'd be overstating it when I say that book has launched a million Shadowruns.

I'm not saying that Storm Front is on the same level as Dunkie's Will, because it's a bit more plot and story driven than the Will. What it is though, is the culmination of a lot of SR4 plotlines. It ties some up, sets them in place for the next stage of the game (SR5), and introduces a couple new ones. It's a nice Coda for SR4, and it will be a good starting point for new (or returning) players in SR5, I think. I hope. That was the goal, anyway. smile.gif

Bull
binarywraith
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 25 2013, 07:09 PM) *
Yeah that's actually what I was talking about. They're acting like one faulty assault rifle and Ares is suddenly desperate. Desperate enough to be messing around with bugspirits and what not. Crappy products happen and it's been hinted that the Excalibur was the target of corp sabotage anyway. I just don't understand how one gun, from a company that produces hundreds of guns and tanks and cars, and has private police across the globe, and and and and and and, could be so desperate from one crap product. Did I miss a book where that was such a big deal? Did an entire army's guns suddenly blow up killing all the troops? What?

It's either something going on beneath the surface, or just shitty writing.

I'll be saltwater fishing off the docks in Bogota if you need to know which I suspect more. wobble.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Mar 14 2013, 09:02 PM) *
I imagine it is a bit like Emergence, with adventure ideas pertaining to the chapters?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

All the adventure seeds are clustered in the Game Information part together with a suggested reward. No new weapons/equipment but stats for major players, some of them reprints.
If you hate your group, send them to GeMiTo. It even traumatized Kane.
bannockburn
Thanks for the clarification. smile.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Feb 26 2013, 01:09 AM) *
Yeah that's actually what I was talking about. They're acting like one faulty assault rifle and Ares is suddenly desperate. Desperate enough to be messing around with bugspirits and what not. Crappy products happen and it's been hinted that the Excalibur was the target of corp sabotage anyway. I just don't understand how one gun, from a company that produces hundreds of guns and tanks and cars, and has private police across the globe, and and and and and and, could be so desperate from one crap product. Did I miss a book where that was such a big deal? Did an entire army's guns suddenly blow up killing all the troops? What?

This gets explained in the Ares chapter of the book.
[ Spoiler ]

We do have spoiler tags for a reason. wink.gif
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 14 2013, 09:51 PM) *
What it is though, is the culmination of a lot of SR4 plotlines. It ties some up, sets them in place for the next stage of the game (SR5), and introduces a couple new ones. It's a nice Coda for SR4, and it will be a good starting point for new (or returning) players in SR5, I think. I hope. That was the goal, anyway. smile.gif

Bull

I see, I'll assume it'll get touched upon in the 5ed BBB then smile.gif
Personally, Im not in a position economically where I can afford something that doesn't provide lots of juicy crunch.

Also, I'm one of those brats that first read Dunkie's will on the website biggrin.gif
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 14 2013, 04:14 PM) *
It's either something going on beneath the surface, or just shitty writing.

I'll be saltwater fishing off the docks in Bogota if you need to know which I suspect more. wobble.gif

This was actually explained after the post you quoted, quite well by one of the writers. Quoting it now is a bit out of context. Most especially now that the book is 'out' and speculating just means you haven't read it yet. lol Before it was "Why and what if??" Now it's "Who's read that chapter?"
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 04:20 PM) *
This gets explained in the Ares chapter of the book. I haven't read it jet, just skimmed but they not only have massive stacks of unsellable Excaliburs, they lost a lot of contracts as no one knows what other new products from Ares will disintegrate when you look at it, they lose the space race to Evo and S-K and also their leadership is crippled as Nick Aurelius committed suicide (or was driven to suicide, you know bugs, and things...).

Again this was better explained days ago by one of the writers. That quote was brought back over half a month later out of context. smile.gif but thank you.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 14 2013, 05:13 PM) *
I see, I'll assume it'll get touched upon in the 5ed BBB then smile.gif
Personally, Im not in a position economically where I can afford something that doesn't provide lots of juicy crunch.

Also, I'm one of those brats that first read Dunkie's will on the website biggrin.gif

I'm the other way around. We've got 100s of guns and cars and drones and stuff. I love the plot and the fluff. I mean what's another 10 guns when you have 300 to pick from already? I love the plot and the big stuff. Each chapter would give 100s of options for shadowruns with, around. or dodging the major content. All over the planet. Also gives you things to role play off of, other than "New run. do this for cash, rinse, repeat."

I've been very much looking forward to this book. The wife... still sick... gave me a LOOK when I asked to buy it. Sadly I think I'll have to wait for hard copy and drool on the tidbits that people here reveal.

I'm one of the Geeks that used Dunk's will to launch countless Shadowruns. It almost became a running joke in our group. If noone had anything big planned. Out came the Will!! That thing was awesome. I'd just sit around reading over it. Can't say how many adventures were dreamed up in the bathroom, or in the car, or sitting somewhere waiting for someone, with that book.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 02:56 PM) *
Well, what do you want to know and how much of a spoiler should it be?

Everything that you're willing to share and comment on. lol I just bought a car and a shot gun. Sadly I'm cash poor right now and have to wait for the book.

So anything you divulge will be eagerly consumed, and appreciated.
CanRay
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 14 2013, 05:31 PM) *
I just bought a car and a shot gun.

Gun rack in the back of the car feeling lonely?
hermit
All the adventure seeds are clustered in the Game Information part together with a suggested reward.

The rewards mostly suggest Alamaise doesn't often try to entice people to work for him with money.
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 14 2013, 11:31 PM) *
Everything that you're willing to share and comment on. lol I just bought a car and a shot gun. Sadly I'm cash poor right now and have to wait for the book.

So anything you divulge will be eagerly consumed, and appreciated.

Okay so how about some secondary information.

Things to watch out for:
[ Spoiler ]

More dragon things:
[ Spoiler ]

Another KIA
[ Spoiler ]

Something to lighten the mood.
[ Spoiler ]

QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 14 2013, 11:41 PM) *
The rewards mostly suggest Alamaise doesn't often try to entice people to work for him with money.

Considering half of his mercs switched sides mid battle that fits pretty well with the lore.
Lionhearted
@PJ I know a couple of things you could do with a car and a shotgun that would solve that problem smile.gif
hermit
Considering half of his mercs switched sides mid battle that fits pretty well with the lore.

That is the only mission where the pay is somewhat adequate for what you initially know, but yes, it does.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 14 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Gun rack in the back of the car feeling lonely?

lol Well I did spend about an hour this afternoon adding neon green "Zombie Control Response Team" Stickers to said vehicle. The Rigger in me demanded them.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 05:41 PM) *
Okay so how about some secondary information.

Things to watch out for:
[ Spoiler ]

More dragon things:
[ Spoiler ]

Another KIA
[ Spoiler ]

Something to lighten the mood.
[ Spoiler ]

Thank you very much.

Hope that one guy is dead. He was a jerk.

Sucks about the Orange Queen though. I rather liked her. Knowing our group, they'll want to help her out.
Ixal
In other important news, Stuffer Shack 43876 had to close. We will miss it.

And we will have flying pigs in about one year time.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 14 2013, 05:43 PM) *
@PJ I know a couple of things you could do with a car and a shotgun that would solve that problem smile.gif

I want the book pretty bad, and some of the stuff people have posted, have me considering those ideas....
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 06:01 PM) *
In other important news, Stuffer Shack 43876 had to close. We will miss it.

And we will have flying pigs in about one year time.

Oh man, I nearly died reading the letter back-n-forth from that. Total home run.

As for the Dragons ... there's some brutality in those chapters. I was reading way, way late into the night reading them as they came through.

There's a reason I called it "The Shit Blows Up Book". smile.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 15 2013, 01:58 AM) *
There's a reason I called it "The Shit Blows Up Book". smile.gif

I second that. Who expected dragons to have orbital death ray magic? (And Hand grenades).
Pepsi Jedi
Orbital death ray magic?

The hand grenades I could guess but wow.

Moar detailz!!
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 15 2013, 02:16 AM) *
Orbital death ray magic?

The hand grenades I could guess but wow.

Moar detailz!!

Example 1:
[ Spoiler ]

Example 2:
[ Spoiler ]

Luckily for the players those spells are not statted.

I just finished reading the Ares chapter. Tomorrow I will move on to the "lesser" stories. Feel free to post question.
So far I like the book. Only the Ghostwalker chapter was imo a bit disappointing as it hardly explains anything and people just show up with no foreshadowing or explanation. Also the resolution is a huge cliffhanger. I mean Ghostwalker and Harlequin just stop fighting? Really? Why?????

But it is obvious that Catalyst has plans for Denver in 5E (plans which usually result in a lot of collateral damage).
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 14 2013, 08:25 PM) *
Example 1:
[ Spoiler ]

Example 2:
[ Spoiler ]

Luckily for the players those spells are not statted.

*Wonders what a 9 year old boy goes for on the black market....* At least enough for the PDF Right? I mean.. you could cut him up and sell him for parts for at least that much..... Hey.. Dax!! Come here!
Pepsi Jedi
That's it.... I sold my dignity to the wife and begged a bit. Just downloaded it and kicking back to read on the Ipad.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 14 2013, 08:35 PM) *
That's it.... I sold my dignity to the wife and begged a bit. Just downloaded it and kicking back to read on the Ipad.

Yes, YES, your despair gives us POWAH...

Ahem.

Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Mar 14 2013, 11:06 PM) *
Yes, YES, your despair gives us POWAH...

Ahem.

I -very much- support RPGs on PDF. So I like buying them when I can. Tells the companies to give us more. I have over 600 on my Ipads.

So far so good in the read through. I'm sure I'll have lots of comments as I get further in.
Pepsi Jedi
Heh. Not a huge part of the story or anything, but a part that made me grin like crazy. Page 20.
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012