Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Front is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Troyminator
Well, I finished Storm Front last night. A little background: I am a relative newcomer to the game. I haven't read a lot of the novels (just the Nigel Findley ones and Spells and Chrome), so I don't have a lot of background knowledge. I don't care a lot about editing mistakes (I teach Kindergarten through 6th grade). I am in it for the story and how the game environment evolves.

Here's my .02:nuyen: fwiw.

The Triumph of Aztlan It seems to be a Pyrrhic victory to me. Aztechnology/Aztlan got Bogota and Amazonia retreated, but their food sources are decimated and, whilst they hurt Sirrurg and he is banished for a while, they did not kill him. What did it mean on pf. 34, "So now Amazonia has both Horizon and Evo in their back pocket. Nice. -Mr. Bonds" I think I understand Evo, but how/why Horizon? Man, I REALLY want Aztechnology to be taken down several pegs. Blood magic using twits (yes, I know I am supposed to dislike them. The writers do a very good job of making me dislike them)!

The Fall of a Dragon I know Lowfwyr and Alamais are brothers, but I don't know the back-story of why they hate each other so much. Is it more than just Alamais wants dragon supremacy and meta-humanity to be a crunchy snack served with ketchup? Very gripping story of the battle. I really enjoyed it. Poor Hestaby. I can hardly wait to see how she comes back from this. I also wonder what direction dragons will take now that Celedyr is Loremaster?

Seattle Shakes Burn, Kenny, Burn! I'm glad I got to see more of "Bull". I enjoyed the story and congrats to the Seattle Underground for now being an official district of Seattle (at least congrats to those who wanted it to happen). I'm interested to know what will happen to/with the SINless who lived there. I am also curious how much of Mr. Brackhaven's "fall" was due to the. . . . . whatever-it-is that happened to him and FastJack?

Lightning in Denver Interesting. . . . . I can see how Zebulon's return has. . . . . changed?. . . . .altered?. . . . Ghostwalker. I don't know much about Harlequin other than he's an immortal elf and VERY powerful. I know he's pissed off at Ghostwalker because of Aina Dupree's "death" in D.C., but I don't know why he's so pissed off. I may have to go back and read that part of Artifacts Unbound again. Aztechnology/Aztlan drek-heads back in Denver. . . . . <sigh>.

Ares Trembles Well, that's what you get for experimenting/consorting with Bug Spirits, isn't it? I want to know how Nadja Daviar will effect Knight and the direction Ares is going now? I also wonder how the Excalibur weapon fiasco has shaken consumer confidence in Ares so much? It was one weapon. Granted, the whole situation was poorly handled and kept going long after it should have been shelved, but still. . . . .

First Among Equals I don't really know much about the Tir Tairngire (how is that pronounced?), so a new High Prince doesn't mean much to me, story wise. Interested to see how the intrigue between the various Telestrian's will shake out.

The Artful Dodger I know nothing about who he is, so I'm not certain of what this portends. Is he from novels or old adventures?

Sleeping with the Enemy Do we know much about TMK other than what as written in Another Rainy Night? I don't know much about Martin DeVries other than he is a vampire hunting vampires. Where would I go to learn more about him?

Escaping the Ghost Decade Glad to see the Japanacorps making a comeback. I'm still pissed at MCT for what they did to technomancers (as I was supposed to feel). Excited to see how this will effect the game.

The Cracks Inside Well, Danielle de la Mar changed the matrix. Is this why "decks" are coming back? I'm still not certain why it will take decks to crack through the new layering protocols. Can someone explain this to me or point me to the information that I am missing, please and thanks?

Straight From the Horse's Mouth Poor FastJack. When I finished this, I almost threw my book across the room. I would have, but it would have awoken my wife and I'd rather go head-to-head with a cybered troll on Kamikaze than wake my wife in the middle of the night. I have adored FastJack since the first time I encountered him (the "Happy Trails" fiction from Shadowrun 20th Anniversary Edition rulebook). Fare thee well, my friend. Come visit us when you can.
The e-ghost/e-personalities/whatever-is-taking-over-people theme should be interesting in 5th edition as Mr. Villiers, Mr. Brackhaven, and Mr. Cline seem to be "infected" with it. I didn't recognize the other people on the 'high profile" list.

All in all, a very good book. Kudos to those who wrote for it. I applaud you! <claps wildly>

Now, I just need to get a group to play more than the three sessions I have played in 4th edition. Still looking into the online possibility.

tasti man LH
QUOTE (Troyminator @ May 6 2013, 03:53 PM) *
The Triumph of Aztlan It seems to be a Pyrrhic victory to me. Aztechnology/Aztlan got Bogota and Amazonia retreated, but their food sources are decimated and, whilst they hurt Sirrurg and he is banished for a while, they did not kill him. What did it mean on pf. 34, "So now Amazonia has both Horizon and Evo in their back pocket. Nice. -Mr. Bonds" I think I understand Evo, but how/why Horizon? Man, I REALLY want Aztechnology to be taken down several pegs. Blood magic using twits (yes, I know I am supposed to dislike them. The writers do a very good job of making me dislike them)!

Two parts:

1.) It was originally Amazonia that hired Horizon for their propaganda and PR to try to turn the war in their favor.

2.) Horizon's interest in all of this is mainly to butt heads with Aztechnology. Aztech, before Horizon came onto the scene, was the big PR megacorp. So when Horizon came onto the scene and became the huge PR and media giant that it is, coupled with Horizon more or less kicking out any Aztech influence in the LA sprawl, naturally the execs in Aztech were none too happy. So for Horizon, they get the added benefit of hurting Aztech by working with Amazonia.

(hell, there's even a whole adventure around this in the Horizon Adventure line, "Colombian Subterfuge")
Troyminator
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ May 6 2013, 07:08 PM) *
(hell, there's even a whole adventure around this in the Horizon Adventure line, "Colombian Subterfuge")

Ahhhhhhhhh! Thankee! I haven't gotten around to reading that one yet. I forgot that I had it and just noticed it on the shelf. I know what I am reading next. wobble.gif
Not of this World
QUOTE (Troyminator @ May 6 2013, 04:53 PM) *
The Artful Dodger I know nothing about who he is, so I'm not certain of what this portends. Is he from novels or old adventures?

Both. Dodger is the Secrets of Power trilogy of Novels, Never Trust an Elf and Just Compensation novels. He is in the Campaign book Brainscan. He features in short stories in the original 1st and 2nd edition core books, Renraku Arcology Shutdown, Threats 2, and System Failure and System Failure. I'm pretty sure he has some Shadowtalk sections in books I can't remember off the top of my head as well. vegm.gif
binarywraith
QUOTE (Not of this World @ May 7 2013, 10:38 PM) *
Both. Dodger is the Secrets of Power trilogy of Novels, Never Trust an Elf and Just Compensation novels. He is in the Campaign book Brainscan. He features in short stories in the original 1st and 2nd edition core books, Renraku Arcology Shutdown, Threats 2, and System Failure and System Failure. I'm pretty sure he has some Shadowtalk sections in books I can't remember off the top of my head as well. vegm.gif

He's in shadowtalk in pretty much every book that mentions the Matrix, especially the AI sections, although he hasn't been heard from since Crash 2.0.
Neurosis
Dodger is my favorite Shadowrun character. My dog is named after him.
Angelone
I just had a thought. I think the ailment that is effecting Fastjack and others came from Mars. In Hazard Pay one of the Evo scientists had something sent to Earth before killing herself. What if that thing is the catalyst that causes whatever happens to happen? How would it effect the people on Mars if it didn't come from there? It's highly unlikely it came from Earth to the Mars base imo.
ChromeZephyr
Paging Plan 9, Plan 9 to the Discussion Room.

grinbig.gif
Angelone
Second time I've been called Plan 9 this week. I'll accept it beret.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012