Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Storm Front is out!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
Angelone
Fastjack himself showed a vicious streak in this one. It really makes me wonder about him and his reputation, he's good enough to keep his "record clean" so to speak, so we might not know all the dirty things he's done..
hermit
We can already make very tiny submarines. Unless there was some specific in the book (which I don't have) I don't see why it couldn't be something like this:

Because the description of it isn't like that (actually, such a minisub is in MilSpec Tech).

(hell, it'd be a mechanic that I'd be all for: making constant Willpower checks every month, and if you fail, you'll find yourself eating the faces of your teammates)

Like many things you should expect, such as stats for the Excalibur rifle, that's not in Storm Front.

It really makes me wonder about him and his reputation, he's good enough to keep his "record clean" so to speak, so we might not know all the dirty things he's done..

He worked in the shadows for more than six decades. What did you think he did there? Cuddle fluffy animals?
tasti man LH
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 19 2013, 03:56 PM) *
Like many things you should expect, such as stats for the Excalibur rifle, that's not in Storm Front.

...I was referring to changes they could make to Infected in 5E but-

gah, whatever...
hermit
Those aren't in there either. But a copypaste job of DeVries stats is in there. Because, you know, you cannot copypaste stat blocks enough.
tasti man LH
...and I wasn't referring to ANYTHING in Storm Front at all.

...and what the hell does DeVries have to do with anything?
ChromeZephyr
Nothing, hermit is just making sure you understand the depth of his contempt for SR under CGL. *shrug*
hermit
I just thought tasti'd be talking on topic. While the fluff about changing Infected is there, no crunch backs it up (so people who play one are left entirely alone with how to add it to their game). Understandable now?

...and what the hell does DeVries have to do with anything?

What does Storm Front have to do with a topic discussing it? Sometimes you really have to wonder.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 19 2013, 07:56 PM) *

This I actually agree with. (By Agree, I mean I didn't like that omission)
[ Spoiler ]
tasti man LH
...which I said that I already got it.

So why is more necessary?

(and if this is all a scheme to convince as much SR players as possible to convince CGL to reform.....you need to lay off the uber-aggressive approach. a more faint-hearted person will likely run away scared of the overbearing person trying to shove leaflets in your hands)

QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 19 2013, 04:08 PM) *
What does Storm Front have to do with a topic discussing it? Sometimes you really have to wonder.

...yes, because I needed a roundabout and frankly acidic reminder of:

"Shut up and stick to the topic"
Angelone
@ Hermit

I meant things like set teams up or betray people and just erase all trace of it. Also the Excalibur is stated in Sacrificial Limb on page 18. It has a 1 in 6 chance of working properly.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Angelone @ Mar 19 2013, 08:25 PM) *
@ Hermit

I meant things like set teams up or betray people and just erase all trace of it. Also the Excalibur is stated in Sacrificial Limb on page 18. It has a 1 in 6 chance of working properly.

Good catch Angelone!
hermit
"Shut up and stick to the topic"

QFT

Okay, good catch, thanks. It doesn't have the pimped option despite being described like it has all the time. *sigh* Thanks anyway.
Nath
Because I'm obviously bored tonight, here's the rundown. So, yes, on July the 3rd, 2011 AD, at 10:10 PM, Hermit mentioned a "sea port" in Bogota after reading Deadly Waves, but he finished its sentence with a question mark. CanRay (notorious for being a strong opponent to CGL) later referred to "Bogotá On the Ocean". Actually, nobody mentioned a port or a submarine base in this thread before Pepsi Jedi did. People were only referring to "seaside docks," "docks" and "seaside cottages," and each with an ironic undertone (two of them included smileys), before Hermit made the mistake to confirm.

As a side note, Deadly Waves mentions those semi-submersible craft can carry up to 15 tons of novacoke. If it was cocaine as it's usually packaged nowadays, 15 tons of cocaine would be about 12 cubic meters, which, added to the room for a multifuel engine and a pilot, and a Body of 17, gives indications on to how big this vehicle is supposed to be. The narco-submarine caught by US Coast Guard and Navy IRL this vehicle is based on usually had a lesser capacity, and were between 12 and 24 meters long and 2 to 4 meters tall.

Even if the Bogotá River was deep enough, or dredged, that would still be silly. I'm not saying impossible. I'm saying silly. The Bogota River is 30 meters large. Anyone on the shore or barely close to the shore can see and hear a moving watercraft. Using a design as specific as a semi-submersible craft (instead of an unobtrusive regular craft) just makes the whole thing worse and uselessly costly since you had to specifically built or brought it there.

Deadly Waves, page 18
The cartels have been using semi-submersible craft to smuggle their products for almost eighty years. The methods of construction have improved, resulting in nearly standard techniques. Nanoforge construction technology has improved the cartels’ ability to construct the vessels cheaply. Law enforcement agencies have gotten better at detecting the vessels, but enough succeed in delivering their cargoes that the Courier is still produced and relied upon, even in the war torn waters near Colombia.

> There is a larger sister called the Carrier, which is far more sophisticated and less common. The cartels are using these in safer areas so they can bring supplies back to the war zone.
> Marcos

> The cartels have been sending a large number of these into the vicinity of LA, and Horizon and Pueblo are going nuts trying to stop them. Horizon has put in a purchase order for a pair of corvettes to help the stop the problem.
> Am-mut

> Cartel smugglers usually sink them if they don’t have any return cargo. They are cheap enough that the ten to fifteen tons of novacoke they carry will pay for a fleet of replacements.
> Sounder

> They can also serve as a way out of Bogotá, if you have the connections. There isn’t much of the way in amenities, so remember your own bucket.
> Hard Exit
Hit the waters with Deadly Waves--watercraft PDF out now!

Hermit (Jul 3 2011, 10:10 PM)
"They" is the Cartel Courier Submarine. Submarine. As in, ship that travels under water. In an ocean. WHAT. So now, Bogotá not only lies in the jungle and has moved out of the Andes somehow, it also is a sea port? Seriously, do your research people. This is dragging down my opinion of what is otherwise the best stuff supplement yet.

Hermit (Jul 4 2011, 12:15 AM)
Assuming you find a cateract where it won't simply stick to the ground. Bogota is short on anything like a remotely sufficiently large river anyway.

CanRay (Jul 6 2011, 01:12 AM)
And, yes, the "Bogota On The Ocean" bit
Storm Front is out!

ShadowDragon8685 (Feb 25 2013, 03:08 PM)
Calling it now: Someone is going to call out the whole Bogota shit as pure computer-generated propaganda. The seaside docks of Bogota? AS IF! Clearly that was all part of a misinformation campaign.

binarywraith (Mar 14 2013, 10:14 PM)
It's either something going on beneath the surface, or just shitty writing. I'll be saltwater fishing off the docks in Bogota if you need to know which I suspect more. wobble.gif

binarywraith (Mar 18 2013, 09:11 PM)
Yeah, except instead of giving us that, we get sunny seaside cottages in Bogota. rotfl.gif

Pepsi Jedi (Mar 18 2013, 09:30 PM)
Actually I refuted that. the (Storm Front) book had no mention of ports in Bogata.

binarywraith (Mar 19 2013, 06:32 AM)
It was a comment on the level of 'quality control' and 'proof reading' CGL has put into their releases in the recent past. A tradition that clearly continues in this book.

tasti man LH (Mar 19 2013, 06:37 AM)
...so there ISN'T actually any supposed ports mentioned in SR-Bogota...?

Pepsi Jedi (Mar 19 2013, 07:31 AM)
I didn't find any in Storm Front's chapter on that area/war. I read close when it came to the navy's and what not. There are mentions of stuff in the "Gulf of Azlan" which is the gulf of Mexico, and the Pacific.. and the FMC landed at Cali, but nothing about the navy landing at Bogata or ports there. The only thing I can figure is the part about the navy being close to the cost in the gulf, using the destroyers as missile platforms for cruise missiles. Edit: When the FMC comes in, at the very end. They land at Cali, but travel across land to get to Bogata to start their police action. It even talks about stuff they ran into on their trek. But it states specifically they don't land AT Bogata.

tasti man LH (Mar 19 2013, 07:33 AM)
But yeah, I think they were mentioning stuff from WAR!, which is supposedly where the whole "Bogota is a port city" is supposed to come from. A quick gloss through WAR!, and so far, nothing has immediately jumped out at me.

hermit (Mar 19 2013, 09:03 AM)
There is, in the ships PDF at least (a submarine port to be precise).

tasti man LH
QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 19 2013, 04:34 PM) *
~factful and truth-revealing snip~

...now THERE'S the answers I was looking for!

Thank you Nath, for putting this together. smile.gif

Now back to everyone's regularly scheduled bitching of Storm Front and how CGL "betrayed" the SR fandom.
Pepsi Jedi
The thing is, you're assuming a uniform size. The pictures I found indicated a larger river. The one with the bridge was very much wider than 98 feet across.

I haven't looked too deep but I haven't found anything that places an average width either. You are saying 30m. Where'd you get that? (( Honestly asking. What little I've found hasn't said that. Nor an average depth))

As for the boat. It is specially built for it. Of the very little information we have, it states that they're built specifically for smuggling and have been refining them for almost 80 years. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess they probably do it at night.
CanRay
Bogota! and references to it are awful, we get it, back to Storm Front SVP!
RHat
Trying once more to get things back to Storm Front: Does anyone have any theories as to what, exactly, the thing that is the subject of the Cracks chapter actually is? Any suggestions for how a GM might go about introducing such a thing into his game? I'm very much planning on doing just that, but not sure how I want to go about it yet.

Is it annoying that no such mechanics were included? YMMV (I certainly didn't expect them to stat the new SR5 stuff in Storm Front), but clearly we can't have that discussion and stay on topic. So please don't. Or if you must, take it to another thread.
Grinder
hermit, PJ: move your conversation to PM.
Everyone else: topic of this thread is Storm Front. It contains write-ups of the Atzlan-Amazonia war (including information on Bogota), but also much more.
Fatum
QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Mar 19 2013, 06:26 PM) *
I don't quite get why. I mean, if I want Dunkelzahn's death to be perpetrated by my conspiracy group, I can always change it. But I really prefer to know the cannon thruth and decide according to it.
And just why would you want it? The Sixth World is dark and full of secrets, there is no reason to have canonical answers to all the questions.

As for the Infected and the mind-stealing whatever-it-is, I think we should just wait and see. No way to know before the new book on the topic.

Also, good catch with the Excalibur stats, but seriously, those should've been in the book, not some marginally related NPC stat block.
sk8bcn
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 20 2013, 11:23 AM) *
And just why would you want it? The Sixth World is dark and full of secrets, there is no reason to have canonical answers to all the questions.

Well, personnal taste maybe. World of Darkness was kinda build that way. I never liked that. Part of my fun (as gamemaster) is to read stuff about my favourite univers.

When it remains to the state of rumors and possibilities, it serves me only if I wanna build a story around it. The fun of the story still fades to me.

e.g. The Lone Eagle incident. I still don't know what happend and hence, I'm still "meh" about it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 19 2013, 05:16 PM) *
Anyway. Has anyone an idea what will happen to the infected?

A small one. Bad things have been happening, and now the Infected community has to start cleaning up. First thing to do is deal with the changes. More is forthcoming.
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 19 2013, 05:24 PM) *
Perhaps (crunch-wise) it's more dangerous to be an Infected?

(hell, it'd be a mechanic that I'd be all for: making constant Willpower checks every month, and if you fail, you'll find yourself eating the faces of your teammates)

It's tougher, yes, but I don't know that it's actually more dangerous to be Infected. It's certainly not as bad as having to make tests every month to avoid going batshit insane.
QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 19 2013, 05:56 PM) *

Most of "Sleeping With the Enemy" was actually meant as flavor, to show GMs how some of this stuff works in the real lives of the Infected. I may or may not have done a good job at doing that; I leave that to other people to decide. So far, the reviews have been decidedly mixed, and I'm okay with that. If they all fell one way or another, I'd be more worried.

Should there have been some rules support? Maybe, though the changes aren't nearly as drastic as some people seem to think. The descriptions of the disease's hinger are amped up, but as she said herself, she didn't have to increase her intake. I just doesn't let her coast as long before it reminds her. The Allergy to Sunlight goes up a notch; she remembers to stay out of the sun. Regeneration's a bitch; cybered vamps not a good idea. Okay, yeah, that one I should have done something about; mea culpa there. Sorry.

I was not actually contracted to write the Game Info for Storm Front, though. I didn't know there was going to be Game Info in Storm Front until I saw the proof. "Oh, wow, Martin's stats are in Storm Front. Wish I could get paid for that, but I'll live." I thought it was going to be a totally fluff book, so I didn't think to do much in the terms of formally writing up rules support. I thought I had a little more time to do that.

re: FastJack
He worked in the shadows for more than six decades. What did you think he did there? Cuddle fluffy animals?

Everybody has to have a hobby.
Lionhearted
@Patrick, Bad things in correlation to the direction you want to take with the infected, or just bad for them?

Also Im starting to suspect Nath is an AI, the amount of hard raw data you produces is scary...
Pepsi Jedi
Finished the "Ares Trembles" chapter.

[ Spoiler ]
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 07:11 PM) *
Finished the "Ares Trembles" chapter.

[ Spoiler ]

As Ares is featured on the SR5 cover and a Predator 5 was somewhere mentioned I don't think they will go under.

[ Spoiler ]
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 20 2013, 01:37 PM) *
As Ares is featured on the SR5 cover and a Predator 5 was somewhere mentioned I don't think they will go under.

[ Spoiler ]

[ Spoiler ]
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 07:46 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

Well once people have the Ares = crappy product association in their head I can totally see why they would stop buying Ares shirts and rather grab something from Wuxing or another competitor.
It doesn't help that Ares, at least thats the impression I get, uses its brand name for everything. Ares Guns, Ares Space, Ares Entertainment, Ares, Ares, Ares (except General Motors).
S-K has a better model (for this case) as most of its branches do not hold a S-K name so them doing bad doesn't reflect back to the mother company.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 20 2013, 01:51 PM) *
Well once people have the Ares = crappy product association in their head I can totally see why they would stop buying ares shirts and rather grab something from Wuxing or another competitor.
It doesn't help that Ares, at least thats the impression I get, uses its brand name for everything. Ares Guns, Ares Space, Ares Entertainment, Ares, Ares, Ares (except General Motors).
S-K has a better model (for this case) as most of its branches do not hold a S-K name so them doing bad doesn't reflect back to the mother company.

[ Spoiler ]
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 08:01 PM) *
[ Spoiler ]

The people in the real world already have a very low attention span. How do you think it will be in the 6th world where you are bombarded by ads every second of the day and instant gratification becomes even more exploited by the companies?
Besides, you do not throw your old Ares gun into the recycler because the new one is a pile of crap. No, you do something far worse (from Ares pov). You keep it and don't buy a new one. They do not make any money with that. Or you go to the competitor when you need your "gun fix". People who bought Ares for their whole life would now look what the competitors have to offer.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 20 2013, 02:07 PM) *
The people in the real world already have a very low attention span. How do you think it will be in the 6th world where you are bombarded by ads every second of the day and instant gratification becomes even more exploited by the companies?
Besides, you do not throw your old Ares gun into the recycler because the new one is a pile of crap. No, you do something far worse (from Ares pov). You keep it and don't buy a new one. They do not make any money with that. Or you go to the competitor when you need your "gun fix". People who bought Ares for their whole life would now look what the competitors have to offer.

Well loyalty to gun brands is a bit deeper than some other consumer products, but yes, they might look to a competator for their next gun. My problem lies with it being so far blown and so across the board. "Well Ares producced ONE horrible gun out of 100s through out decades... So I'm going to not eat Ares burgers any more. because of one bad gun. Out of 100s... over my life span. Ptew!! No more Ares Burgers!! Or Ares Pop.. and I'm not going to go see that new Ares movie. It must suck!! Because of that one gun!
Fatum
Uh, when discussing the consequences of Excalibur failure, consider if Ares Bravo (from War!, the Alpha with a shock baton (!) replacing the underbarrel GL) was a market hit.

Also, ahem. Micro$oft.
Sengir
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 20 2013, 03:05 PM) *
Should there have been some rules support?

Personally, I saw the story like the TM story in System Failure: A hint of things to come, not what is relevant for PCs right now. Depending on the fluff explanation, the imcreased regeneration and light sensitivity would also not affect everybody at the same time.

As far as Ares problems go, making product launches fail is everyday work for shadowrunners. If just ten percent of those had a real influence on the GDP of a megacorp, the CC would have a higher turnover than the African Dictator's Club...
By the way, the stats for the Excalibur are in an adventure book (Boardroom Backstabs series would be a logical guess). Except for a 5/6 chance of malfunction there is NOTHING special about the rifle, the good ol' Alpha has more interesting features.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 20 2013, 02:26 PM) *
By the way, the stats for the Excalibur are in an adventure book (Boardroom Backstabs series would be a logical guess). Except for a 5/6 chance of malfunction there is NOTHING special about the rifle, the good ol' Alpha has more interesting features.

Yeah someone pointed it out last night, that the stats where there. I just agree with it being such a ---huge--- part of Ares problem in the Ares Trembles chapter, that it'd have been nice to have them there. I've even got the Backstab PDF. Jus' saying.

As for 'Stats in general' I kinda thought that Storm Front was going to be all fluff. Then when it wasn't I figured it'd be like Conspiracy Theories. Where you had alot of smallish chapters with the really interesting stuff you could use as launching points, with stats where needed.

Turns out it's like 95% Fluff (( Which is 100% ok with me. That's what I thought it was anyway)) but when they started including some stats, There are some that are conspicuously absent.
Ixal
QUOTE (Sengir @ Mar 20 2013, 08:26 PM) *

Considering the history of that gun I am even surprised that it has a 1 in 6 chance of working.

For those who haven't read the chapter yet:
[ Spoiler ]
Lionhearted
So what other Arthurian references will they squeeze in?
The Guinevere underwear line?
The Lancelot home security drone?
Ixal
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 20 2013, 08:57 PM) *
So what other Arthurian references will they squeeze in?
The Guinevere underwear line?

The book is quite clear that Ares wants to be as far away from Arthurian mythology as possible to finally bury the Excalibur. Although there are rumors of a "Gáe Bolg" project.
Lionhearted
Speaking of that... Did Harl ever find that sword Big D left for him?
Bigity
Aren't they avoiding more ED references these days?
Lionhearted
I wouldn't exactly call Excalibur an ED reference smile.gif
Ixal
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 20 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Speaking of that... Did Harl ever find that sword Big D left for him?

Well he used a glowing sword in his battle with Ghostwalker who commented that Harlequin is "not worthy of that sword"...
(His statblock still "only" lists his force 16 rapier.)

I really wonder what Frosty and Erhan said to him to get him call off his big, rage fulled "I don't care if the world dies" revenge crusade so close to the climax (or not that close if you believe Puck).

Fatum
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Mar 20 2013, 10:57 PM) *
Lancelot wasn't too big on home security, he.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Fatum @ Mar 20 2013, 03:17 PM) *
Lancelot wasn't too big on home security, he.

And if you read into it, you might not want your wife or GF taking after Guinevere either. lol.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 20 2013, 03:11 PM) *
Well he used a glowing sword in his battle with Ghostwalker who commented that Harlequin is "not worthy of that sword"...
(His statblock still "only" lists his force 16 rapier.)

I really wonder what Frosty and Erhan said to him to get him call off his big, rage fulled "I don't care if the world dies" revenge crusade so close to the climax (or not that close if you believe Puck).

Anyone know where I can find good information on Frosty?
Ixal
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 09:20 PM) *

No idea where I read it so I can't guarantee that it is correct/I remember right
[ Spoiler ]
tasti man LH
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 12:20 PM) *

She's statted in Artifacts Unbound, and the entire Dawn of the Artifacts adventure module series has you working alongside her (although in those modules, they don't stat her).
Ixal
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 20 2013, 09:33 PM) *
She's statted in Artifacts Unbound, and the entire Dawn of the Artifacts adventure module series has you working alongside her (although in those modules, they don't stat her).

Shes also statted in Storm Front itself and I bet those stats are reprints from Artifact Unbound.
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (tasti man LH @ Mar 20 2013, 03:33 PM) *

Thank you sir. cyber.gif Means I should read those... *eyes them*
Pepsi Jedi
QUOTE (Ixal @ Mar 20 2013, 03:35 PM) *
Shes also statted in Storm Front itself and I bet those stats are reprints from Artifact Unbound.

Just compared them. Yep they're the same. They even used the same pic. lol. (Bit of a smirk marring that 'intense beauty'.)
Lionhearted
The Ancient files got entries on all the IE's and GD's, not completely up to date, but lots of juiciness nevertheless.
binarywraith
QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Mar 20 2013, 02:14 PM) *
Well loyalty to gun brands is a bit deeper than some other consumer products, but yes, they might look to a competator for their next gun. My problem lies with it being so far blown and so across the board. "Well Ares producced ONE horrible gun out of 100s through out decades... So I'm going to not eat Ares burgers any more. because of one bad gun. Out of 100s... over my life span. Ptew!! No more Ares Burgers!! Or Ares Pop.. and I'm not going to go see that new Ares movie. It must suck!! Because of that one gun!

It's even dumb from a purely gun perspective. H&K, Colt, Armalite, Smith & Wesson... these are all household names in firearms, and all have produced at least one really, really shitty gun over their history that somehow utterly failed to significantly hurt them. None of these companies are even 1% as diversified as the assets of a AAA Megacorp.
Ixal
QUOTE (binarywraith @ Mar 20 2013, 09:56 PM) *
all have produced at least one really, really shitty gun over their history that somehow utterly failed to significantly hurt them.

A gun which simply does not work at all and is more likely to blow your hand off than kill your enemy promoted by a huge marketing campaign?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012